Awoo.

"Sonic Dissected" Dissected: (LEGO) Sonic Dimensions As You Truly Imagined It

FriendBot

7 hours ago, Soni said:

You have filled me with DETERMINATION, @Roger_van_der_weide. (Undertale dissected when? :P)

I'l consider it. My girlfriend's on my case for that as well.

Sorry about tiring you with the grandpa schtick. That's my parody brain overtaking the discussion.
Like, summing up a very subtle problem (lack of energy) by blowing it up and creating this big symbolic signpost for it.
I'll cut it out in the future, the point is made.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I'l consider it. My girlfriend's on my case for that as well.

Sorry about tiring you with the grandpa schtick. That's my parody brain overtaking the discussion.
Like, summing up a very subtle problem (lack of energy) by blowing it up and creating this big symbolic signpost for it.
I'll cut it out in the future, the point is made.

Well curious to see on your take on the latest popular game because I feel do get some Sonic vibes from Undertale, actually. 

I'd argue that the Boom cartoon does have energy but it's not the "badass action hero" energy but a more tame AoStH comedic energy. But thanks for taking in my criticisms, it's stuff like that that made it really hard to watch those videos for me.

• 1 month later...

Right, surprised that this wasn't worth a bump, but yeah. Here it is.

Roger and Luke explore the implication of how the word "fun" is used.

10 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Right, surprised that this wasn't worth a bump, but yeah. Here it is.

Roger and Luke explore the implication of how the word "fun" is used.

Fun: a word that should have just been about one's subjective enjoyment about something, yet instead is used as a means to block out any criticism towards elements simply because they find it fun/lighthearted, even if there are legitimate problems with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, literally everything has legitimate problems, that doesn't mean people shouldn't enjoy anything. But I agree with Roger: it can be fun for you, or majority, but not for everyone. "Shut up, it's fun" is a horrible way to go about things. People should be able to voice their concerns, as long as they are not being shitheads about it.

I've always seen memes on Sonic's Twitter as a nice way to pass time while people are waiting for a new game, because Sonic usually gave me "edgelord" feels. But I see why people have problems with it.

• Thumbs Up 3

To me, I do feel like people are always forced to find reasons they enjoy somethng most people don't enjoy, thus the "I think it's fun explanation" comes up a lot. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a True Sonic Spirit video, but eh. It's Roger. Still applies. In this, Roger makes Big's Fishing Adventure 3 into something that I might actually like.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

It's a True Sonic Spirit video, but eh. It's Roger. Still applies. In this, Roger makes Big's Fishing Adventure 3 into something that I might actually like.

omg!!! this is so amazing. and i might use this as an avatar:

2d355d13e4dd52622eba178ce9beeb66.png

@Detective Indigo, @Diogenes this will make you smile :) (meaning the video!)

and what do you know:

54425564874f863adfe1f6a76b751dd6.png

Sonic approves!

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow! I did not expect Aaron Webber to comment on that video but yet again, I kinda did. I won't deny that's actually the first video posted on the True Sonic Spirit channel that I actually enjoyed, I mean those short plothole busting vids Roger made very fine but nothing new (and you can easily dismiss Gens' plotholes for the game to not be canon, headaches saved) but this is a video that's pretty good!

Of course, I wasn't amused by the jokes of Pontaff (Baldy McNosehair for LIFE baby!) but I'll let it slide.

• 3 weeks later...

So Roger is preparing for April 1st and wants your input on what should be dissected on that day. Could be very interesting. Looking forward to it.

Well I'm curious to see if Roger would go for an Undertale Dissected but i'm pretty sure everyone else has ripped through the insides of that game so much that I doubt Roger could bring any new insight to it so uhhhhhh, why people hate Adventure 3 fans dissected?

He should Dissect his own works. Discuss what is behind the humour and why it has changed so much in certain works (compare the old hectic style to his deadpan latest ones).

• Thumbs Up 2

Goodness. I can't believe I've never come across this thread before. Here I was thinking the majority of people on here were calm and sensible but the first few pages of this thread is some seriously disturbing raging internet shit. Good God.

I haven't agreed with literally everything the guys have said but that's such passionate hatred over some discussion videos. Maybe if I didn't completely agree that Color's story was garbage I'd understand. But on the flip side, I loved Unleashed's story so that'd probably put me back where we started.

Just now, Dr. Chaotix said:

Goodness. I can't believe I've never come across this thread before. Here I was thinking the majority of people on here were calm and sensible but the first few pages of this thread is some seriously disturbing raging internet shit. Good God.

I haven't agreed with literally everything the guys have said but that's such passionate hatred over some discussion videos. Maybe if I didn't completely agree that Color's story was garbage I'd understand. But on the flip side, I loved Unleashed's story so that'd probably put me back where we started.

Oh comrade, you wouldn't believe how far this thread (and I) went through. This topic is something that I'm both proud and ashamed of. Ashamed of because well, you saw the backlash. Proud because Roger did took in the criticism from this topic and it just worked out at the end.

It doesn't begin to level out till Roger himself actually enter the scene and starts defending his position. I do think that people are too quick to make kneejerk reactions on the things he says without actually thinking about it. It is pretty damn disappointing too when it's the normally well-spoken among us.

That's not to say there weren't people who had legitimate problems and criticisms which did thankfully get acknowledged.

Let's not throw them under the bridge and try and act like it was ALL worthless bickering from just one side guys. 

There are legit folk,  apologists, berserk beraters, etc all in on the case. 

And yeah,  like Nepenthe said,  it's quite a cheap blow to try and dredge up off-topic disdain at something so far in the past.

Mindsets like that on a forum are more often than not,  are needlessly rude, desperate, and contagiously unhealthy.

Oh come on. Don't derail the topic by drudging up the past behavior of anyone, especially in a thread that is almost two-years old. Seriously.

• Thumbs Up 6

23 hours ago, True Detective Soni said:

Oh comrade, you wouldn't believe how far this thread (and I) went through. This topic is something that I'm both proud and ashamed of. Ashamed of because well, you saw the backlash. Proud because Roger did took in the criticism from this topic and it just worked out at the end.

I'm happy for you then. Took me by surprise seeing all that. Glad I missed it though. 

• 2 weeks later...

So Roger have released two vids today. Let's see what they're up to?

Damn! He's been working hard for this.

• Thumbs Up 2

...and apparently, he uploaded two more vids yesterday. He's like the James Brown of Newgrounders.

The second vid is long, yeah, but he have gotten a LOT of requests of topics, it seems. Hope he doesn't burn out.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Sonic Boom episode was pretty great. The animation is better than usual, and I loved the joke about Knuckles in the tornado.

• Thumbs Up 2

I won't deny @Roger_van_der_weide's take on Late Fees was pretty nice but to be fair, I have my issues with it.

First, I don't really like the idea of Eggman being this super evil madman, I mean sure Boom Eggman should be a bit more of serious villain but since the show establishes itself to be a sitcom first, action/adventure cartoon second. I feel it should be excused and also Designated Heroes does a pretty great job showing Eggman can be a competent villain without going to a darker approach. Boom Knuckles in this interpretation is really nice, just the chill guy who's oblivious to the actual threat and he makes himself useful and while I don't mind Boom Knux we got from the show who is shown to be dumb for comedic purposes (and also because Willingham at the time during the sessions for the show found regular Knuckles to be pretty boring, in which he kinda was IMO Current Archie Knuckles is perfect tho) it would be nice for Freiberger and crew to add more to Knuckles' character and who knows maybe they can find EVEN more great jokes to do by so. As for Boom Amy in this version, meh I don't know. I wasn't really feeling much about her character, sure she does super nice charitable things but I feel the actual version does more. I mean, Freiberger himself says in LMC's Sonic Boom commentary of the season finale of Boom that Amy is usually a nice, caring person but when things don't go her way, she gets pretty annoyed and cranky and she finds that befriending Eggman would help rather than fighting him, but of course when he goes too far, she ain't pulling any punches either. But in this version, she's just nice.... k......

Sticks was ok, I guess? I mean, I really shouldn't have super high expectations on this since this is probably just going to be a one-off thing Roger did. But since this is what Roger wants Boom to be in his eyes (which isn't a bad thing, I'm sure the Boom team can do MUCH more for the show and expand it now that they have the characters and settings laid out) but I mean, it wouldn't hurt to compare it with Boom overall. But yeah Sticks, there has been cases where Sticks' conspiracy theories aren't just a bunch of random things, heck Ian Flynn did this pretty amazingly during the Archie Boom comic with the kart-racing 2-parter. But yeah, I guess it's fine but I don't see it as a huge improvement. Sonic kinda feels the same to the actual version in the show, so yeah. I mean I guess he's not as lazy or annoyed as he usually so meh, I still got the same feel for Sonic.

As for the overall tone, it's I don't know. It's not like I hate it but I don't see anything improved per say. I mean sure, we get some more wacky moments like the tornado (which I did really like, not gonna lie) and aliens that kinda look like Nominatus, which is actually pretty weird and unfitting imo. I mean, they were just added in for no reason. It was like I was watching an entirely different episode. That's not to say two very different plotlines in an episode can't work since Tails' Crush (Freiberger's favorite episode out of the season, some Boom trivia for ya). But it still feels out-of-place imo.

Overall, it is a really nice take on a decent episode of Boom. I would be curious to see how Roger would interpret the more well-liked Boom-isodes like Battle of the Boy Bands or Eggman the Auteur but what do I know, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 17-3-2016 at 11:35 PM, sansy said:

Well I'm curious to see if Roger would go for an Undertale Dissected but i'm pretty sure everyone else has ripped through the insides of that game so much that I doubt Roger could bring any new insight to it so uhhhhhh, why people hate Adventure 3 fans dissected?

Oops, sorry, I never thought of looking for requests here.
Well, Undertale was asked by several others, so will show up in a later video.
And Indeed, it feels awkward for me to step into the ring after that game's already taken apart by many.

"Sonic Adventure 3 fans hated" would have been interesting, but too late now, I guess.
In short, I would say that:

A ) Because of Rise of Lyric's quality, many Sonic fans feel uncomfortable taking inspiration from more Sonic games with debatable technical quality.

B ) There's a severe communication problem where Adventure fans almost exclusively think about the emotions, energy and style of the game while opponents almost exclusively on the technical execution of the games.

C ) The Adventure 3 Facebook also seems to be a heaven for fans who just Hate the style of modern Sonic in general. So those who Just want to celebrate the Adventuer games or salvage a few good aspects of these games tend to be overtaken by those entirely motivated by hating the entirity of modern Sonic.

D ) Because Adventure fans seem much more driven by style and emotion, their way of talking causes a lot of offense by people more litteral minded (True Sonic Spirit!. Flashy name from a marketing perspective, but does nothing but make your audience hate you even before getting a single word in in any discussion)

E ) And now Adventure 3 fans are often the butt of jokes, that makes a lot of them more paranoid and angry. So with Webber's memes primarely Adventure game focused as it seems, a lot see every Meme as a personal insult, so... Many act like a frightened cat in a corner, one wrong Meme and it's SCRATCH.

On 18-3-2016 at 2:26 AM, Dr. Chaotix said:

disturbing raging internet shit. Good God.

Eh, it's good to get beaten up here and there on the internet.
If everyone only praises creators, we'll get God complexes and that'll be no good for quality control.
They learned a lesson, I learned a few lessons, and we're all one step closer to being more mature.

10 hours ago, sansy said:

I don't really like the idea of Eggman being this super evil madman,

As for Boom Amy in this version, meh I don't know. I wasn't really feeling much about her character

aliens that kinda look like Nominatus, which is actually pretty weird and unfitting imo.

The cartoon isn't entirely meant as a "This is how Sonic Boom SHOULD be" thing. Which is why I very deliberatly didn't give the video a "ME versus BOOM!"  kind of title. The weird thing about Sonic Boom is that that show is Very close to my sense of humor, at least in terms of story concepts, but the execution is all different.

So this cartoon was more an experiment for myself to see what makes me diffrent from Boom.
Because making that Sonic adventure cartoon made me a little surprised/ scared how close my own ideas were to Boom's aproach.
If I was really writing a episode of the show, the bad language would be gone, Amy's joke would be less Naked Gunn-ish and I'd probably not get away with Eggman pushing guns in Sonic's face. And it'd be a lot less hectic.
But hey, I got no censors or studio bosses breathing in my neck, so it's 100% me taking Sonic Boom's basic foundation and running with it.

The idea with Amy is that I was adressing the fact a lot of people have trouble even knowing what Amy's personality is, even the interview with Freiberger for the final episode had interviewers mention that.
I think it's because the show never really makes jokes about Amy being herself, the jokes come from when she's more extreme, losing her patience. So I very deliberatly made her 100% pure in this episode and kept all the jokes focused on her natural personality, the Martha Steward overbearing mother constantly cleaning and helping and doing 500 things at the same time. Altough this joke wouldn't work for an episodic show, hard to keep topping what crazy things she's doing.
Which is why I'd probably tone this joke down if I was a real show writer and just have her pack and fill in forms or something.

The diffrence with Sticks is not so much her personality but more the use of a joke. Sonic Boom tends to make it's jokes in a void, a character says something random or silly, you laugh, and then you're supposed to forget about it.
While I like to think that jokes characters make can still count as characterization or Plot building.
So Sticks is the same, but the fact her random comments suddenly lead to a secret Climax of the story is my twist on the Sonic Boom formula.
Heck, if I was a writer on the show I'd probably make it a running gag that Sticks makes a crazy prediction in every episode that comes true, usually hidden in the background or with a twist.

As for the Aliens looking like Nominatus, that's an injoke about the show's low budget and how they re-use the same 3d models. So this is one of the few jokes where I do act like I'm an actual animator on the show. Because I figured there's a chance they rather give Nominatus a simple redesign ala what they did with Percy, rather then create an entire new Alien race for one episode.

The biggest change is having way more energy and a Looney Tunes cartoon Vibe over the more mellow Sitcom tone of the show.
To me, Sonic going to return a library should be about the contrast of an action Hero dealing with bureaucracy.
(Hence why the visual of Sonic hanging on for dear life screaming at a completly detached Beaver debating Library policies was the center idea for this version, versus Sonic just wasting his time and interacting with increasingly more boring people doing boring things.)
That, to me, was more important then changing the characters themselves, really. Less Sitcom, more Crazy contrast.

• Thumbs Up 5