Awoo.

"Sonic Dissected" Dissected: (LEGO) Sonic Dimensions As You Truly Imagined It

FriendBot

- Eggman apparently wanting to blow up the entire Earth already if he didn't become supreme ruler of the world. This is justm e being nitpicky at dialogue, but in various points Eggman seemed to imply wanting to blow up the whole Earth, hence he collects all 7 Chaos Emeralds to charge the cannon up to full power. So...why did he exactly seem so eager to help out stopping the ARK from crashing when posthumous-Gerald turns up for the big plot twist reveal when it amounted to the same thing except blow the ARK up as well?  I just assume Eggman just wanted to blow up the city.

He was bluffing, frankly. He wouldn't actually destroy the world--crack it open ala Unleashed, maybe, but that's a whole other story--he'd just threaten to so world leaders and all that would give into his demands. That was literally his whole plan, I'm pretty sure.

...come to think of it, he could have just done that with the Unleashed space cannon.

*walks away*

• Thumbs Up 1

...come to think of it, he could have just done that with the Unleashed space cannon.

*walks away*

With the way Unleashed handled the people's reaction to Earth being blown up, that threat would have fallen on even deafer ears.laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 1

They're either space circus performers gone mad due to constant failure, and Lost Hex was their mobile home, or mutated wisps who were planning to take over the wisp planets but got sideswiped by Eggman in Colors and now want revenge against him and Sonic, with Lost Hex being a captured wisp planet.

To be honest I always saw the Lost Hex as a thing that warps to various planets, galaxies, universes etc. and the Deadly Six as planet destroyers who'd go down to whatever they were above at the time and kill everything for pure dickery.

Think the Saiyans if they had their own small planet-sized TARDIS.

With the way Unleashed handled the people's reaction to Earth being blown up, that threat would have fallen on ever deafer ears.laugh.png

You know, I always thought that was silly on it's own, but now, with SA2 on my mind, it's even sillier, considering the absolute horror all those people in those CGI cutscenes experienced when the moon was half-blown up.

Adventure 1 had horrified humans just by Eggman crossing the sky with the Egg Carrier. You didn't see it in CGI but if you talked to them, they show horror.

Some just accept their fate with the missile. I think the newspaper woman said, "Whatever happens happens." Just geeze, grim.

To be honest I always saw the Lost Hex as a thing that warps to various planets, galaxies, universes etc. and the Deadly Six as planet destroyers who'd go down to whatever they were above at the time and kill everything for pure dickery.

Think the Saiyans if they had their own small planet-sized TARDIS.

I am still going with one or the other, because why do they have circus tents on Lost Hex (might be Eggman, but eh)?

- How the hell did Eggman even discover that diary? Was he lazing about on a beach near Prison Island when he stepped on it by mere chance?

- The mere notion that Sonic who if we take Adventure's plot in consideration was pretty much somewhat of a well-renowned hero in human society is suddenly being confused for a escaped military bio-weapon robbing federal reserves banks does sound a little far-fetched to believe.

- Eggman apparently wanting to blow up the entire Earth already if he didn't become supreme ruler of the world. This is justm e being nitpicky at dialogue, but in various points Eggman seemed to imply wanting to blow up the whole Earth, hence he collects all 7 Chaos Emeralds to charge the cannon up to full power. So...why did he exactly seem so eager to help out stopping the ARK from crashing when posthumous-Gerald turns up for the big plot twist reveal when it amounted to the same thing except blow the ARK up as well?  I just assume Eggman just wanted to blow up the city.

- Of course the whole final story plot as a whole, since how in the world did Gerald find the time to even Frankenstein-like modify Shadow's brain to make way for REVENGE! or even install that whole colony crash course-program in the ARK itself when he was imprisoned back on Earth and soon to be executed anyway? I just assume that he convienently modified Shadow's brains to carry out that program.

The whole 'Core of the ARK looks like the Master Emerald Shrine' thing was really just a excuse to pretty much have a huge throwback to SA1's plot elements, since I can't look at it from any other way. The waterslide at the end of Sonic's part of Cannon's Core, and Knuckles reciting Tikal's quote pretty much cements that.

And even if it was pretty much 'subtly' foreshadowed in the news report Rouge was holding, the Biolizard pretty much served as another qucik solution for a 'big epic final battle against time' struggle near the end since why it would actually be bothered to merge with the ARK and keep it on it's collision course when it's assumed to be just a primal beast in it's thought patterns is anyone's guess. I just assume that Shadow was too cool a character to become the final evil boss himself if Amy didn't make him change his mind and go with the whole 'I will carry out revenge at any costs!' thing and merge with the ARK for Super Sonic alone to fight.

- I hate it when things that happen off screen are called "Plothole". A plothole is when the story contradicts itself, not everytime something unlikely happens. Maybe Eggman found it in his attic, maybe he always had it but only THEN acted upon it, maybe he indeed found it on the beach, whatever. There's no data about it, nothing "Contradicts" the possibility that he could aquire this diary, so therefore it isn't a plothole, just "Something unusual that happened". And in the universe of Sonic, "Something unusual" is also known as "Tuesday afternoon."

- GUN arresting a renowned hero. That is a good point. To GUN's defense, far as we know, all they did is just take him along to question him. It's only after he escapes that the hunt is on.

I think I already said this in one of the Dissectes, but the entire key of the story, to  me, is how many Hedgehogs do there exist in the Sonic universe? Are Sonic and Amy the only hedgehogs (ignoring Shadow and Silver since those are Definitly not well known in public back then)? Because if he's THAT super unique, that would explain why people mistake him for Shadow so quickly. It's not wearing a dress and there's only one other hedgehog on the planet, it's gotta be Sonic!

Whatever, a bank got robbed, security footage shows a hedgehog, the militairy get's him to question him.

It's all reasonable to me and all the stupidity can be chalked up to human misunderstandings, bad video footage, whatever. No plotholes, just unstable plot.

- I think eggman's obsession to get the 7th Chaos emerald was only so the canon would load faster.

His threats to blow up the earth are only expressed in threats. I take it that in reality, Eggman only wants the canon in full capacity to deal with the militairy if they attack.

- Gerald rigging Ark. This is the one thing I'll indeed give you your "Plothole" sticker. Gerald being able to rig the Space colony ark is indeed a plothole.

I would make up excuses and alternative explanations, but the fact it's his actual execution footage that plays that makes the whole situation impossible to explain. Unless Gerald had an accomplice.

My inner parody maker loves to think it was Biolizard who programmed it all, but I'm sure most of you won't appreciate that theory. Heh.

-The Chaos ruins things. The space Colony is specifically made to research things, it's a science lab. Them having rebuild parts of the Chaos ruins makes sense to me.

In fact, the opposite bothers me a lot more, why do we barely see any labs, living quarters, offices, ACTUAL research lab things?

The recreations of the ruins is pretty much the only genuine evidence we have that people are doing "Something" on the Ark rather then just filling endless corridors with deathpits and random videogame gadgets.

Oh well, videogame logic.

Still better then Eggman's "Black void of nothing" secret base in Lost world.

-Biolizard is irrelevant as a character. He's a security device/ boobytrap set up by Gerald. That's it.

Replace Biolizard with a random computer or robot and you get the same idea. The fact that Biolziard is a left over beta version of Shadow is just for....extra personal weight I guess.

If you guys are comfortable with the Deadly Six "just" being a bunch of guys there for Sonic to punch, then Biolizard fits right in.

So, you got one plothole, and several "Eh, could have been explained better but I can easily make an explanation."

Not to mention, a lot of the things you mention happen on the edge of the story.

Like I said in my ignored post you mourned, Sonic adventure 2 is like a themepark ride for me. If you're digging around the edges, OFCOURSE you'll discover it's fake. Every story falls apart when you start searching for the outmost edges of the story.

If a story draws you in, you don't care.

Cause hey, every Sonic game has plotholes.

Every story will eventually reveal plotholes if you keep digging outside the edge.

But at what point are you enjoying a story and at what point are you trying to prove that a fictional story is fiction? What do you achieve by going to Disneyworld and "proving" that Mickey Mouse is a guy in a costume?

So ultimately, that's the real beef you have with Sonic adventure 2.

Whether it's the treasure hunt levels, one story part that made you trip and lose the rest of the ride, the fact most opening scenes didn't draw you in and had no individual moments of interest, or just hatred that the game is so "over rated", increasing your desire to hang on to every loose thread you see people talk about, something caused you to miss the ride.

Reminds me of Indiana Jones 4, Crystal skull.

It's not the fridge or the monkeys that ruin the movie, those are just visual things people can latch on too.

The movie doesn't feel right,and things that just should have been silly stupid things you laugh at suddenly become symbols of something much more deep and complicated.

--Oh, and responding to something I read before. As an Adventure person, I do love the gameplay of Sonic adventure 1 (Yeah it's glitchy, but the whole experimental "Hey we can make 3d games, let's do a bunch of weird things!" mess actually makes it extremely interesting to me. It's like walking around a children's toybox, you can just feel how the developers were excited by the new possiblities and went crazy with it)

And I do love the Sonic levels in adventure 2, tough yeah, shooting levels are generic and the treasure hunter levels boring. Ah well. 1/3th is fun. I've had worse.

Playing GTA 5 now and 90% of the missions are just pointless or irritating. Outside of 1 hour long arcade games, I don't know any game that's consistently fun.

Also I love Sonic generation's gameplay, and not just for it's nostalgic value, but the actual gameplay, and will defend that game (The gameplay) as much as the Adventure's. Even the fact it's short.

I widely aplaud Sega for having the balls to give us a 2 hour game that's pure dynamite, rather then a 60 hour game that mostly just wastes my time with nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 5

And I do love the Sonic levels in adventure 2, tough yeah, shooting levels are generic and the treasure hunter levels boring. Ah well. 1/3th is fun. I've had worse.

Playing GTA 5 now and 90% of the missions are just pointless or irritating. Outside of 1 hour long arcade games, I don't know any game that's consistently fun.

Also I love Sonic generation's gameplay, and not just for it's nostalgic value, but the actual gameplay, and will defend that game (The gameplay) as much as the Adventure's. Even the fact it's short.

I widely aplaud Sega for having the balls to give us a 2 hour game that's pure dynamite, rather then a 60 hour game that mostly just wastes my time with nonsense.

I was mostly just generalizing some of the fans that all to death one game or another. It happens. Of course there are people who pick elements from each game and go, "Man, I wish SEGA would just mold these together."

I... really don't like boost all that much, but it's okay. I guess. But I feel if a Generations-style Sonic game with an SA2-level story was made, it'd be pretty tight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another thing I always disliked about SA2's story was just how seemingly arbitrary Tails actions were. Which in all likelihood is a result of Tails' purported late inclusion in the game due to fan demand. Tails needs to free Sonic from Prison Island? It's Amy who ultimately succeeds at that and she didn't even need to blast everything up and make everyone aware of her to accomplish it. 

I think that can easily be explain by simple context clues in the narrative actually.

For example, Tails didn't know Amy was already there on Prison Island until he sees Eggman attacking her. And one could assume that, despite her tagging along anyway, Tails may have simply made a better opening for her to accomplish freeing Sonic as by blasting everything up, so maybe they were working together?

The military/police are hunting them down? Go on a shooting spree in Mission Street with cops everywhere instead of...actually hiding!

Was done as a distraction for the others? We are talking a military group that was hunting them down in the middle of Eggman making a threat to the whole world. Whether they hid and was stealthy or went around distracting the military, either way they went needed to be done with the intent of stopping Eggman.

The entrance to Hidden Base needs to be found? Surely Sonic and Knuckles (The latter being a treasure hunter of all things) could find it competently enough?

Or maybe it was whoever could find it. It wouldn't really matter who does, with Sonic and Knuckles having the strength that Tails made up for in fire power.

The president needs to be tracked-down? Follow his car...even though Sonic tracks it down himself regardless.

Or maybe Tails tracked it for Sonic to follow?

The power supply to the cannon needs to be shut-off before the fake emerald can be inserted? There's no indication that this even needed to be done.

huh.png

Wait, I don't remember hearing that...*rewatches cutscenes*

• Thumbs Up 2

I see a lot of people on this thread "picking out flaws" of SA2...some of them are genuine points...some others...ehhh not so much.

I any case. I have observed some interesting points offered up for discussion, one of them being the time conflict between the retooling of Shadow and the Ark fiasco. I also saw someone highlight why Shadow and Maria's connection was never displayed in full detail was only eluded to at the most.

These are actually pretty good points that I haven't given much thought to. Amazingly, I find it more fun to speculate than to have bare facts laid out in front of me. (One of the reasons why the Classic portion of the canon is so much fun for me lol)

But I would like to get to the point....

I firmly believe if Iizuka hadn't been a dunder-brained idiot and decided to make SA3 when EVERYONE expected him too...we would have had a non-rushed, cohesive, game that melded into the Sonic canon..rather than Shadow's game, Heroes and 06. SA3 would have served as an answer key for some of the the things SA2 left up to speculation and fan conjecture. The two things that piss me off the most in life is how Iizuka killed the absolute perfect time to release SA3 and how 06 was such a bungled mess when it could have been a ripsnortin' good time. 

Why not make sure the people that write for Sonic games..oh dunno...actually know about the canon and can actually do it justice...?

It is an obscene waste to bypass all the gobs of potential the series has to offer in favor of a game like Lost World or even Colors (albeit Lost World took things to an all new level of scary-bad.) I think that instead of erasing the canon, repairing the canon is what we should be aiming for. Like I said all the stuff that SA1, SA2, and a certain portion of 06 established would be completely wasted if Boom or some other "soft-reset" came along and stomped it in the ground. (Not saying Boom WILL do that...just highlighting the possibility...) The focus should be on getting capable, talented writers that know what they are doing. Not lowering ourselves and accepting anything we are served. (ala Pontac and Graff) if you guys really would like the loose ends tied up, I suggest banding together and demanding an "answer" game whether that be SA3 or something entirely different. Personally, any Sonic game that has some solid writing, a good light/dark balance and doesn't throwaway/misrepresent the main canon and its characters will do me just fine. Not asking for much here.

TL;DR: Don't let Iizuka, Pontac or Graff write another Sonic game and find someone with actual talent.

I also would like to address the "pretentious: argument people have set up for SA2...huh???

SA2 being pretentious? Well, sure. If you look at it by today's standards and judge it for having semi-outdated concepts of conveying "righteous and radical." For what it was doing back then, it actually pulled it off well. Conveying a stark contrast. Sonic's world seemed to portray how a young boy would ideally interact with the world. Boarding, defeating robots, being an overall superhero and seeking out every hint of an opportunity to have fun.One of my most loved aspects of the SA series is the sense of youth and freedom. This is contrasted with Shadow's  "real", slap of reality that the world isn't always fun and can sometimes be quite sad and confusing. In no way is this some "new", "innovative" concept. It was just executed in a striking manner, which is why to this day, no one can shut up about SA2 to this day...after 13 years.

The only games I can think of off the top of my head that did that well are Ratyman 2 and maybe Paper Mario... 

Something to think about...

Also, Roger I love your stuff and especially loved your 06 analysis videos (which I have yet to see them all.)

Keep up the grand work!

• Thumbs Up 3

I will add my 2 cents:

''SA2 is overated''

That statement amuses me because I always wondered why people think this is a good answer. Saying something is ''overated'' is at best, a confession that you lack the skill to understand why other people like something you don't and at worst, is a passive aggressive insult toward people's different taste. In either ways it's not a problem of the game, it's a problem of the person.

''It has plotholes''

I like to point out plotholes in sonic games I don't really like, not because I believe it's the reason why I don't like them but because I like the delicious irony and expose the double standard. I like to make my oponments realise that plotholes aren't the real problem; it's all about content. Roger already explained this well, when you like the content, you don't care about plotholes, it even amuses you. If you don't like the content, you use plotholes as a convenient culprit. 

''SA2 is too dark''

I really wonder who truly believe that SA2 is too dark, I often hear that argument to justify some kind of ''protection'' for the kids' innocence (when you look at it this way it's even more ridiculous, what kind of parents would think SA2 is not ok for the kids). That's not even the point since kids enjoyed SA2 as much as older fans and that game is still popular in the retro market. The real problem isn't that SA2 is ''too dark'', the real problem is modern games are too kiddy and since each new Sonic games keep losing audience perhaps it's time to look more seriously about the possibility that this approach isn't resonating with a lot of people. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The use of the words "Over/underrated" are one of the most insular and self-centered things anyone can say about anything. I wouldn't even use it to criticize Stephanie Meyer's Twilight unless my life depended on it. It's one thing for you like or dislike something, or not see how big the appeal is, but it's pretentious in itself to criticize it because other people like it more or less than you do.

As for SA2 being "too" dark? There's are some legitimate points behind it, and then there are points that I've encountered that sound like a moral guardian against its intensity. I think it's important to know the difference not to group these everyone who is critical of SA2's tone as biased. But there are other times it seems people are knee-jerking against anything dark and want to sacrifice the intensity that was intended.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's why I think Sonic Adventure 2 is overrated by fans:

- Aside from not making any sense, the story is poorly written and it's got main character confusion(Shadow is the main character, everyone else is pretty much just there along for the ride or when the plot needs someone to say something like Amy in the Last Story).

- Only a third of the game consists of actual Sonic gameplay, there's a clear lack of focus here, not as much as in SA1 where you had even more gameplay styles, but still.

-The mechs controls are very clunky, its stages have cheap enemy behaviours that have them fall on top of you if you're going too fast, and they can drag at times.

- The treasure hunting stages are horribly designed. The reason the SA1 ones were ok despite not belonging here is because they were small and the radar detected all 3 emeralds. In SA2 not only can the stages get unnecessarily huge, but the baffling broken nature of the radar and the incredibly useless hint system(In the water.....but...I already am in the water, how does that help me?) made these stages a chore. There's no actual challenge to them, just glide around at random till your radar beeps. Do this 3 times and You're done.

- The game in general just hasn't aged well, the animations are subpar, the camera is atrocious, the sound mixing is terrible and the voice acting is laughable, which severely hurts the story.

I don't claim SA2 is overrated to make me feel better about something or because it's the popular thing to do, I just see too many blatant problems that fans like Clement outright ignore.

I hated SA2 right from the first time I played it in 2001, Yes, even back when it was at the peak of its popularity I hated it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ignoring the obvious flaws of anything, is the main reason why things are seen as Overrated. A lot of Fans often present Sa2 as the "...best Sonic game ever..." or "...one of the greatest..." they rarely ever give passable explanations and often end up completely ignoring or excluding the flaws to make the game seem better than it really is. Sa2 doesn't live up to how people make it out to be, and it just doesn't really deserve all of its praise. Its a "decent" game, I can see many things that people could enjoy, but the game as a "whole" ends up being overrated when a lot of people show clear amounts of Bias towards it...

"Eggman hates the ZETI! OMG!!"

And then he never confronts them .

Ohh, I know what you're thinking. You're all ready with counter arguments.

"It's not Eggman's fault he never confronts the Zeti, he totally would if he got the chance!"

I agree. Oh, how I agree.

I don't get why so many praise Eggman for his "badassery" in Lost World, while at the end of the game he basicaly flushes everything down the toilet:

3_zps479ba090.png

In a nutshell he's saying "Oh, so the Zeti managed to kill a good slice of my planet. Meh, who cares."

In the end, the impression Eggman left to me was that he never hated the Zeti in the first place, it was all just an act to conquer the simpathy of Sonic and Tails and have his Generic Robot #427 back.

I don't get why so many praise Eggman for his "badassery" in Lost World, while at the end of the game he basicaly flushes everything down the toilet:

3_zps479ba090.png

In a nutshell he's saying "Oh, so the Zeti managed to kill a good slice of my planet. Meh, who cares."

In the end, the impression Eggman left to me was that he never hated the Zeti in the first place, it was all just an act to conquer the simpathy of Sonic and Tails and have his Generic Robot #427 back.

I chalk this up to a rushed ending from the writers who also lamented that said ending was rushed.

Granted that the story in whole had some awful characterizations in the first place. Eggman is an evil humanitarian after all, and even though he would play them for saps, it is also universally stated in canon that he wouldn't want mindless destruction of the world.

I chalk this up to a rushed ending from the writers who also lamented that said ending was rushed.

About that...

I think that when Pontac said in the interview that he "ran out of time" and so he had to take the easy way out... I think he was just making an excuse to hide SEGA's fault.

I mean, it's SEGA who programs the boss fight, so it's SEGA who decided for Eggman to be the final boss again.

It's just my assumption, but it looks like SEGA already planned the game structure (Windy Hill 1->Windy Hill 2 with boss ... Lava Mountain 3 with three bosses->Lava Mountain 4 with Final Boss Eggman), then gave it to Pontac and tell him "here, invent a story that fits with this scheme".

Okay, maybe P&G did ran out of time for real, but with the restriction of having Eggman as final villain instead of Zavok, I doubt they could invent a better excuse for Eggman even with more time at their disposition.

But again, that's just my assumpyion.

I'm going to echo Discoid and ask why the hell are we trying to dissect the narrative structure of this series when...it hasn't really been that good? People seem to treat the new games as this series has never had terrible writing in the past.

Arguing which is better between Lost World and SA2, is like arguing which piece of shit smells better lol. It should be noted that I LIKE both if them well enough, but more as a guilty pleasure than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to echo Discoid and ask why the hell are we trying to dissect the narrative structure of this series when...it hasn't really been that good? People seem to treat the new games as this series has never had terrible writing in the past.

Arguing which is better between Lost World and SA2, is like arguing which piece of shit smells better lol. It should be noted that I LIKE both if them well enough, but more as a guilty pleasure than anything.

I guess some part of all of us just wants to see the series improve to the point that the narrative becomes genuinely good...the problem is that we're all coming at this from completely different directions, hence conflict.

• Thumbs Up 1

See, that's the thing. I am really just starting to believe they simply can't do it. It's been over a decade and the plots still range from average to mediocre, so I just take what I get and try to find what I like in it.

Yea, yea call me a defeatist, pessimist, or whatever, but I'd rather be that than have expectations for something that's not coming anytime soon, or getting into the same arguments whenever a new game comes out.

Because the point isn't to prove one story is better than another, the point is to look at how these stories apply their narrative and why we enjoy or dislike them.

We'd only be setting ourselves up for dissapointment if we try to draw a line between good or bad stories. What we should be doing is looking at why we like or dislike these stories, and how the way they handle narrative compares and contrasts with other stories.

Because the point isn't to prove one story is better than another, the point is to look at how these stories apply their narrative and why we enjoy or dislike them. We'd only be setting ourselves up for dissapointment if we try to draw a line between good or bad stories. What we should be doing is looking at why we like or dislike these stories, and how the way they handle narrative compares and contrasts with other stories.
I think people missed the memo considering we've been talking why SA2 is overrated or not, or why X game is better than it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's what killed the entire story for me. I mean, already Lost World felt like a garbled mess of random ideas. Like Pontac drew some ideas on some cards, tossed it up in the air and searched through the scattering. But, until the ending, I could actually SEE something there. And I felt like the ice wall scene as a build up to awesome shit.

But then, nothing. Absolutely nothing. Back to Colors right there.

That really did piss me off for a few days. Probably shouldn't, but did. Pathetic of me, but whatever.

But the reason why people loved those scenes of badassery, alone, is because it was like a kid who had been bullied for so long was FINALLY taking a stand and FINALLY proving himself.

The ending fell flat though, which, to say the least, ruined everything those scenes accomplished. Fuck, all he had to do was get one good shot on Zavok that put him down. That's it, and the scene would have at least been paid off.

I think people missed the memo considering we've been talking why SA2 is overrated or not, or why X game is better than it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, with many Sonic fans, this is one of those sensitive topics. You can merely say, "Sonic Adventure 2" and people will argue about it.

You have on one hand the absolute haters, another the absolute fans, and there's guys who fall around the middle. That's true with a lot of things, but that's Sonic's special brand. That and 06, apparently. But that has less fans by miles.

And a lot of fans feel that SA2 did have the best story of the Sonic series, so, when speaking about plot, it will be brought up, hence the arguing.

I'm one of the ones who do feel that SA2 had the best story in Sonic, far as the games go. Does that mean it had a really good story when compared outside Sonic media? Not even close. But as far as Sonic goes, yes.

• Thumbs Up 2

3_zps479ba090.png

I have the impression that Eggman would simply build over the dead parts of the planet. That and I don't think he's all that caring about a fraction of the planets inhabitants as long as there's still some left to worship and adore him.

And he also had all these giant space stations with huge-ass lasers on them. What's he gonna do with huge-ass lasers? Put on a light show?laugh.png