Awoo.

Mass Effect Series Thread

Chaos Incarnate

I never really considered myself much of a Bioware fan growing up. I was one of those fans that absolutely adored one of their earliest works, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, sure, but I never really followed many of their games. I heard Jade Empire was great, but I never really got around to playing it, and I wasn't really old enough to hunt down, or even know what Baldur's Gate even was. But then, after several years, on Christmas morning 2011, I got one game in particular. I was only left to wonder what experiences awaited me with this rich new universe of mythology in gaming. It could of course only be titled...

MassEffect_thumb.png

Oh man, that intro still gives me chills to this day. Everything about it just totally wowed me on my very first play through: getting completed customization of Commander Shepard so they feel like YOUR character, from class, gender, facial appearance, and even backstory. 

Travelling on a quest to stop a rogue Spectre heralding the return of an ancient, sinister race with the goal of wiping out all organics in the galaxy, known as the Reapers, Mass Effect wastes no small time getting you engrossed in its universe. The rich lore and backstory found by reading the Codex, all the species that have their own culture, and furthering mystery of what Saren is after, when tracking his presence to breath taking new locations. Meeting memorable characters and gaining squad mates along the way, Shepard's journey should clock in at 40 hours for completionists.

I still love this game the most in the series, even to this day. Mass Effect has such jaw dropping atmosphere that blew me away, the soundtrack is top notch, and its amount of choice and customization is superb. It set up the long running plot while still feeling like a damn fine game on its own.

Still, a lot of Negativity surrounding this game concerns three main aspects: The third person shooter-esque combat, Squad Mate AI, and the Mako. To be honest, I couldn't blame anyone who agrees. While I don't mind the Mako, as I found it was a nice way to explore environments, I had more of a problem with the Terrain we had to drive on, if anything. The gunplay honestly requires little to no strategy, as enemy AI is as dumb as a sack of hammers, and the same goes for how Squadmates react like Flashbang victims that never seem to properly attack enemies in a fight, unless constantly directed.

Still, Mass Effect prides itself in storytelling as an RPG first and foremost, so I can overlook some of its flaws that haven't aged well, and have a good time in its dialogue interactivity+story telling. While the game did manage to charm and sell itself on many gamers, there was still room for improvement and polish in its core mechanics, most notably the combat. Thus, nearly 2 and a half years later came...

mass-effect-2_02.jpg

Ah, Mass Effect 2. Talk about a step up in so many areas.

Is there anything that hasn't been said about this game? The "dirty dozen" type Squad you spend hours recruiting and building up relationships with? An intriguing, if not a little bare bones story that only serves to expand the universe? A much more polished combat and cover system? Oh, and don't even forget about the much-lauded Suicide Mission, where the lives of everyone, EVERYONE in the crew is in your hands, including Shepard. 

Surprisingly, I don't have much to say. Mass Effect 2 is a damn sure contender for best game in the series among many, and rightfully so. I can't stress enough how much I love this cast of characters, like the psychotic biotic Jack, Scientist-Salarian-Hamster-on Coffee, Mordin Solus, and returning broski Garrus Vakarian, the amount of diversity in the Normandy's crew this time around is incredible. If the original game didn't wow you, I recommend starting here.

1207.Mass-Effect-3-Title.jpeg_2D00_610x0

Thus comes the final game in the trilogy. Oh boy.

Mass Effect 3 is still subject to polarizing fan reaction and criticism to the endings after all these years, first and foremost. While many view it as a worthy send off to Shepard's journey, others aren't big fans of how the RPG elements are more downplayed in numerous areas, and wish it had at least a few more months of development time.

For me, it feels like several steps forward, yet a few steps back. This game does so much right in several areas, yet it still feels like there were a lot of missed opportunities. I'm not going to turn this into an ending discussion, and I could talk hours and hours about what I love and hate about this game. Instead, I'll cut this short and say that while it's a fine conclusion with a lot of emotional punches throughout, improved Squad interaction, and gunplay (to an extent), I don't like how some subplots fell short and a lot of characters form the previous game were downplayed and reduced to glorified cameos. Also, I was expecting the final mission to be the Suicide Mission on steroids, but whatever, I guess you can't get everything you want. The game has its share of flaws, but what it does well, it does really well. It just can't compare to the first two titles.

And there you have it. In case you haven't noticed me stumbling along my thoughts like an incoherent moron, that's my thoughts/retrospective on the Mass Effect trilogy. It's absolutely my favorite series in gaming, no doubt about it. But what say you? With another title on the Horizon, the Mass Effect franchise is getting ready for another round. All I can say is, bring it on, Bioware. My body is ready.

• Thumbs Up 5

Though i did enjoy Mass Effect 2 and 3, i kinda liked first game more because it was more like a RPG and less like a Call of Duty clone like the sequels were, i also found the first game to had the best soundtrack, none of the music in ME2 or 3 could compare to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHkBFymRiOs

• Thumbs Up 1

Though i did enjoy Mass Effect 2 and 3, i kinda liked first game more because it was more like a RPG and less like a Call of Duty clone like the sequels were, i also found the first game to had the best soundtrack, none of the music in ME2 or 3 could compare to this...

2 and 3 have a few standouts off the top of my head, like The Suicide Mission, I was Lost without You, An End Once and For All... you catch my drift. Music is an acquired taste, but I can definitely agree Mass Effect 1's OST can't be topped. M4 Part 2 is one of my favorite credits songs, without question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrDWAuyqtc

I really want to see them make ME4 as a direct sequel to ME3, if only because I want to ride out this ridiculous mess to an ACTUAL conclusion

If you couldn't tell, that ending and the aftermath kind of killed it for me.

EA ruined everything.

Fixed.

The Ultima series, Dead Space, Dante's Inferno, Brutal Legend, and more recently Fuse, Battlefield, SimCity and this (just to make some examples): EA will never learn that rushing your games and making them more serious looking will never be a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm somebody's who's typed more words of anger and disappointment about the original ending of Mass Effect 3 than ought to be healthy, but looking back at the series as a whole, it remains the most enjoyably engrossing sci-fi experience of my life. Its setting is so interesting and so full of potential for future stories, that in spite of it all I'm excited for a new Mass Effect story written outside the all-encompassing shadow of an imminent Reaper invasion.

While EA's influence is 100% guaranteed to cause some incredibly stupid design decisions at some point, I have faith in the strength of the writing when it comes to the characters and the universe for me to want to immerse myself in Mass Effect once again. Just don't let Casey Hudson write the ending. Seriously. He can have one of the mid-game story sequences, no problem, but tie that man up in a straightjacket and lock him in the storage cupboard when it comes time for the conclusion, plz.

• Thumbs Up 6

"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the SSMB."

I haven't completed Mass Effect 3 yet, however I am nearing the end; currently I am engaged in the Leviathan DLC after having completed Priority: Thessia. I am more than well aware of the hatred for the ending, but I cannot right now see how it could be all that bad.

• Shepard dying or being the Catalyst seems like a distinct possibility, which wouldn't kill my love of the series.
  • The entire Normandy being put into stasis after the united fleets of the galaxy are annihilated seems like a prospect, though not one I relish.
  • Everybody boarding ark ships to travel at relativistic speeds to set destinations, arriving after the Reapers leave, so that the civilizations of the next cycle might be guided my our own, and thus be more successful at destroying the Reapers, seems like a good idea, though somehow unlikely too.

However soon I may be venting about my own rage on the subject, for now, all is well. I still see ME3 as being the best game so far in an already-incredible game series, one which I look forward to continuing in ME4, with someone other than Shepard. A Firefly-esque smuggling crew mixed up in a sinister plot of galactic proportions, perhaps? ME1-3 gave us top-end gear, ships etc. Why not have the next main arc focus on an unlikely band of misfits working from the bottom up?

The Mass Effect world is the most comprehensive, coherent, robust, believable and most thoughtfully, even lovingly crafted of any I know of (and I am quite aware of Star Wars' extensive non-canon EU and canon knowledge base), both within the bounds of sci-fi and without. It has drawn me in, inspired my imagination, and invested me more emotionally than any other game I've played. Even if it ends badly at the end of ME3, even if it totally jumps the shark and EA has Bioware run it into the ground with ill-conceived sequels, spin-offs and tie-ins, I will always have these three games. That comforts me.

A Firefly-esque smuggling crew mixed up in a sinister plot of galactic proportions, perhaps?

Would buy based just on the concept.

At first glance, it would be safe to say the team working on the next Mass Effect (who've recently finished NME's story, I believe) have been written into a corner by the concept of the Shepard Trilogy. They can't do big-scale anymore; how do you get bigger than galactic harvesters that seek to eliminate organics? However, unless they plan on going for an intergalactic threat this time around -- which would be idiotic -- they have to scale the down premise for this round. There needs to be a feeling of accomplishment for solving the next characters' problems equal to that of taking down Reapers. Sounds a little daunting, but it's kind of a big advantage.

After all, the next ME can be set anywhere -- from the pre-reaper Milky Way, to another galaxy (eugh), to post-reaper uncharted systems with no relays. This means we don't have to necessarily play as jacked up space marines anymore; we can be, as Patticus suggested, a crew of smugglers looking for a paycheck. We could be explorers, cut off from the powers that be and forced to Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before in the depths of unclaimed star systems.

Since there's no way to follow the scope of fighting the World Eaters with Space Magic, the conflict has to be smaller, more personal. In addition to this being ripe for potential character development and bonding, it also means we get a shedload more worldbuilding; if we were a pirate, for example, maybe we'd get to see some other large, non-Omega-affiliated Terminus Systems settlements that aren't Nos Astra?

Obviously, that's all pointless conjecture since we have no clue when or where NME will be, nor do we know how much of the galaxy we know will be there. Still, I'm hopeful that the next installment can engage me just as much as the first two did.

EDIT: Also, since no-one's posted it, here's Vigil, ME 1's (IMO) most iconic track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7f-g5dWfGk

Edited by ImPantsAtThis
  • Thumbs Up 1

I actually rather like the idea of a scaled-down game. We can still go across the galaxy, presumably, however the smaller plot/nemesis scale should allow for a tighter story experience, plenty of great character development (a chance for great writing to be the order of the day), retention of series' hallmark decision-making conversations etc. They could even add a proper ship customization feature (exterior and interior), species customization even, or do the impossible and give us a new iconic ship to fly and perhaps customize.

Incidentally, with the galaxy having such a vast number of uncharted worlds (99% of them), with such a rich history to it all... what about adding an Indiana Jones/Uncharted vibe to the proceedings, with the greater freedom of movement and exploration such an angle would provide? Then we could keep the Protheans, Inusannon or whoever in the mix along with the established races.

The ME4 writing staff has plenty of options to go along with.

Also, Elcor crew member(s) please.

• Thumbs Up 3

To be honest, scaled-down seems like a necessity considering where they left off. As I see it, there are two likely possibilities: we have a very personal, man vs. man/society conflict (think Kasumi vs. Hock for the former, think 'Archangel' on Omega for the latter) which allows us about a third of the galaxy for plot-based travel (either The Traverse, Inner Citadel Space, or Terminus), or we have a Star Trek scenario in unmapped areas of the galaxy.

It's interesting that you mention Indy and such, because I'm pretty much in agreement. In fact, the vapourware I'm imagining for NME right now is basically Mass Effect: The Next Generation.  If fits with the themes of exploration the devs are hinting is a focus, has potential for squaddie interaction and seems to sidestep some of the canon issues -- namely the need to explain what's happened in the whole Milky Way -- that might arise if there were interactions with all of the galaxy. Plus, there's the opportunity for new species to feature (yay!).

Also, Elcor crew member(s) please.

Don't forget a Batarian or drugged up biotic wind god Volus being squad mates either. =P

But yeah, I'm also a firm advocate for the next title going smaller scale, but maybe with a larger squad this time around.  I want it to focus on building a brand new society years after 3, but have an even more diverse crew. 

Aw yiss. Mutha'. Fuckin'. Mass Effect.

ntlg3LU.jpg?1

Seriously, I love this series. I've been a fan of Bioware's since Knights of the Old Republic way back when. I've always loved the sci-fi and space opera genres, and when I heard that Bioware was making an original universe, space-based RPG, I was hyped. Then I got Mass Effect, got addicted, and the rest is history.

I've replayed Mass Effect 1 and 2 I think a combined... 20 or so times, completing all of the sidequests each time (I'm a completionist like that. lol). I'm actually in the middle of my 7th Mass Effect 3 playthrough, using a Renegade Engineer. Just got to finish the Omega + Citadel DLC, and then the final missions, of course.

The engineer does some real work when you use the Inferno Armor and a light loadout. Spamming Flame Explosions is so satisfying.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a scaled-down game, but I personally just want to see the different homeworlds of the other alien races. I understand Thessia and Sur'Kesh were shown to be fundamentally similar to Earth, but imagine somewhere like Irune or Kahje. Ogod, they could make Kahje like Manaan from KOTOR. That would be awesome.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think that any game involving something like my scumbag/honorable smuggler-pirate crew idea would necessarily need to primarily take place in the Attican Traverse and Terminus systems, which would give the developers a great deal of freedom given the uncharted, more chaotic and less structured nature of the regions. That allows for lots of scope for brilliant new worlds (inhabited and not), maybe a return to exploring planets manually again (just make it a bit more interesting please), new pre-spaceflight races maybe, spectre encounters on occasion, new technologies and the like.

All that in addition to the prospect of uncovering remarkable ancient ruins and paleotechnological finds of minor and galactic significance in equal measure. A new weapon here, a new ship upgrade there, even a remote, purposefully isolated enclave of regressed-to-pre-spaceflight Protheans or Inusannon or whatever... Point is, we'd be in the same universe, on a smaller but no less entertaining or engrossing adventure, hearing stories or songs about events and characters we were part of in ME1-3 without fucking with them, tackling an entirely new story.

Man, I'm getting hyped and we don't even know when we'll next hear about the future of the series!

• Thumbs Up 1

I really would love to play one of the Mass Effect games at some point in time, just the premise of getting to choose through dialogue options who to hook up with sounds like a insta-reason for me to pick it up sometime.

I got nothing else to add to this statement, but is the Mass Effect series hard in difficulty as well to cater to the more core gaming crowd?

Shepard, the Reapers have escaped. Recruit a team of soldiers with attitudes!

Something about this game's writing put me off. On the other hand, the PC version of the first game uses OpenAL, so it plays very well with my sound card, very good binaural audio.

As much as I loved the universe, the writing for the most part, and the games themselves... The ending of ME3 was a disaster. Pat, you have no idea just how bad it gets, and that's even considering you're playing the extended cut. The original ending was awful in so many ways, and the extended cut fixes a couple of issues, but leaves many of the problems intact, and arguably makes some of them worse.

Spoilers...

Lessee, you got the Catalyst in the form of the 'Star Child' (who is blatantly malfunctioning, btw), the mystery behind the origins of the Reapers being unveiled in the most ridiculous way possible (not to mention said origin is hilariously stupid), the 'choose your own ending' bullshit ripped straight from Human Revolution (with the exact same kind of choices, no less... oh, god i just realized that holy shit), the lack of an option to give the Star Child the middle finger and actually use your war resources in some meaningful way to try and win an 'everybody lives' ending (without going using the Control or Synthesis method) or hijack the Catalyst to force it, the Synthesis ending is hilariously bad in so many ways, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, and when I said the ending choices were exactly like Deus Ex: Human Revolution? I'm not kidding. Seriously. The choices are:

a ) Do what your boss would do (Destroy)

b ) Do what the villain would do (Control)

c ) Take a vague third option that a third party suggests (Synthesis)

d ) Rocks fall, everyone dies (Give the Star Child the middle finger)

While the exact details are different, the nature of the choices are exactly the same as Human Revolution. Holy shit, I'd be impressed if it wasn't so pathetic.

Amazing. The endings are contrived, stupid and not even original.

The trilogy was pretty great... Right up until the ending. Now I'm just apathetic about the franchise in general, and I'll stay that way until Bioware has a revolt among its more intelligent writers and force a complete rewrite of ME3's endings. Because, for all one can say about "it's about the journey, not the destination", the destination can certainly ruin the journey in hindsight, and that's what ME3's ending did for me. It just killed all the investment I had in this series.

I want to care about Mass Effect again, I wish I could care about it again, but the ending to ME3 ensured that I pretty much have no investment in what happens before or after it. I wish it didn't end that way, but it did, and it's depressing.

I haven't completed Mass Effect 3 yet, however I am nearing the end; currently I am engaged in the Leviathan DLC after having completed Priority: Thessia. I am more than well aware of the hatred for the ending, but I cannot right now see how it could be all that bad.

Well, before the Extended Cut it was very heavily implied that

Every single planet within the same solar system as a Mass Relay would be sterilized of all life, because that is EXACTLY what happened when a Mass Relay exploded at the end of the ME2 Arrival DLC. There was nothing at all in the original ending that gave any hint that anybody outside of the Normandy crew would survive, so it really looked like a Garden of Eden type scenario. In other words, Rocks Fall - Everybody Died.

Fortunately, with the Extended Cut firmly in place, that incredibly stupid scenario that only seemed likely because the writer is a moron who completely ignored precedent and shut out the rest of the writing staff when doodling his inane fanfiction-level ending has been filled out with lots of answers, including Fallout-style slides that show the direct consequences of your many choices throughout the series. Much more satisfying.

EDIT: Incidentally, Mass Effect 3 still has some of the best story sequences in the series for me. The resolution of the Genophage plotline and the Quarian/Geth war stand out as amazingly well-written with character development that brought me from cheering to tearing up and all the way back.

God I wish the writers for those two sequences got put in charge of the finale.

Mass Effect series was the game series for me to jump into and enjoy the hell out of the whole way through. The universe Bioware created, the characterization and development of not just your comrades, but everyone else around you, the choices made that would have consequences later. Exploration to uncharted worlds in the far reaches of the universe. I never played a game before where I I loved everyone around me and didn't want them to die. I loved my teammates so much and was interested to hear their stories and how their lives were like back home. It's really amazing how immerse the game is where the player can connect with the world and feel like they're part of the game, which has been Bioware's strong suit. 

I managed to score a copy of Mass Effect 2, but I had to get Mass Effect 1 and beat it before playing Mass Effect 2 so I could get the better results. I loved the first Mass Effect game through and through and I got a knack out of playing again and again to get to a higher level, so the Paragon or Renegade choices are a lot easier for me to access early when I couldn't do in my first run. I fucking love Garrus and Wrex! biggrin.png  Those two are like my powerhouses of the group where we go around worlds together and wreck some Cerberus and Geth shit. They both has some pretty witty things to say too.

Mass Effect 2 was pretty awesome, although it was somewhat like Call of Duty in Space, but still fun however. Mass Effect 3 on the other hand... No. Or I should say the original ending of Mass Effect 3. Fucking EA...

• Thumbs Up 1

I really would love to play one of the Mass Effect games at some point in time, just the premise of getting to choose through dialogue options who to hook up with sounds like a insta-reason for me to pick it up sometime.

I got nothing else to add to this statement, but is the Mass Effect series hard in difficulty as well to cater to the more core gaming crowd?

You get difficulty options, from Casual all the way to Insanity. Me, I always do casual. I tried playing on normal, but I'm not that skilled at third person shooter combat to begin with. I play Mass Effect for its storytelling and replayability, so I never bother trying to frustrate myself all that much,

My biggest wish for Mass Effect 4 is if they went the Dragon Age Origins route and let you choose a main character from any of the main humanoid species. Now, first I thought it'd be impractical due to having to record extra voices for each species type, but actually they only need to record a full dialogue script for male and female, and then just add the voice effects for each species. There's already a feature in Mass Effect where there's a radio static added to Shepard's voice if you have their helmet on during conversation. They'd simply need to expand that to feature the synthesised voice effects of a Turian, Quarian, Drell, etcetera... Heck, for an Asari character you wouldn't even need to change the voice.

Incidentally, being able to choose species freely is also my biggest wish for Dragon Age 3.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm pretty sure Dragon Age 3 already lets you choose from some of the species, anyway.

The main thing they'd have to consider for ME4 is that with being able to play as any of the humanoid species is I hope circumstances in most scenarios change. For example, I really want to play as a Turian, so I think dialogue for my squadmates/crew should change accordingly to fit the situation. Or maybe people treat me differently due to my race (but not in an entirely negative way sometimes). I'd also kind of like unique animations in gameplay depending on the race you choose, ME3's multiplayer handled that rather nicely.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dragon Age 3 isn't another Hawke adventure? Nice.

Seeing the flashbacks in the 'From Ashes' DLC makes me really want to see more of Prothean civilization before the Reapers struck. From those glances, it was so, well... alien for lack of a better word. Like, giant versions of the Prothean beacons were the buildings they seemed to use. Lots of glowing structures and curved architecture.

Also, the Citadel DLC is amazing. So much fun from start to finish and a great sendoff for this trilogy. Omega is... eh, alright. It was cool to fight alongside Aria, but like some of the fights were just unnecessarily annoying, like the reactor fight against the Rampart Mechs. I mean, I play on Insanity so I don't expect it to be a cakewalk, but it was more frustrating in concept than purely difficult.

Seeing the flashbacks in the 'From Ashes' DLC makes me really want to see more of Prothean civilization before the Reapers struck. From those glances, it was so, well... alien for lack of a better word. Like, giant versions of the Prothean beacons were the buildings they seemed to use. Lots of glowing structures and curved architecture.

Also, the Citadel DLC is amazing. So much fun from start to finish and a great sendoff for this trilogy. Omega is... eh, alright. It was cool to fight alongside Aria, but like some of the fights were just unnecessarily annoying, like the reactor fight against the Rampart Mechs. I mean, I play on Insanity so I don't expect it to be a cakewalk, but it was more frustrating in concept than purely difficult.

I never bothered purchasing any Mass Effect 3 DLC. I wasn't compelled to purchase From Ashes, as I'm not a fan of day one DLC, to say the least. Also, charging $15 for Omega is just overkill, although it at least looks to be worth the price for Citadel, which I plan on getting eventually. Would you recommend Leviathan?

I already own all of the Mass Effect 2 story DLCs except for Overlord and Arrival, but that game really went above and beyond in its content. Kasumi and Zaeed are just awesome squadmates to have around, and Lair of the Shadow Broker brought a significant change in Liara's character arc (though it honestly feels awkward if you haven't romanced her, and Mass Effect 3 really didn't do anything to make use of her new position.)

Well as someone who's gotten practically all the DLC for Mass Effect 3 I'd say they all add a little something to the story to make it feel more complete.

From Ashes being DLC is kind of a letdown, but Javik is an amazing squadmate (Right up there with Zaeed and Kasumi I'd say) who adds the perspective of a Prothean to the crew. His comments on how primitive the current races in the series used to be are always amusing, and the character himself goes through a nice development that can lead to two different resolutions from him depending on choices you've made when interacting with him. Couple that with his own unique powers and I'd say he's almost a staple addition to ME3.

Leviathan was an interesting mystery to see unfold, to say the least, and it's more unsettling atmosphere was kind of refreshing from the all-out action the rest of the game is for the most part. It also adds a bit of lore to the Reapers and the Catalyst itself, but it can't exactly save the endings for me. Getting into much more is spoilers though.

Omega might be a tad expensive, but it really feels like a natural climax considering what you help Aria do in the third game. You help get all of her mercs back into her possession so she's back in power, and the next step would definitely be to take back Omega, with Shepard as the backbone. The female turian Nyreen was also a nice contrasting character to Aria, which adds to her character nicely. The only thing I found wrong with Omega is how none of your friends or crew seem to take notice of you practically abandoning them temporarily to work with a bunch of mercs, which was a bit weird.

The Citadel DLC practically explains itself of why it's pretty great. I usually just headcanon the perfect destroy ending (Where Shepard lives) happens a few months to a year before the DLC and I have my perfect ending to the trilogy right there. It's a shame the ME2 characters weren't in the main part of it, but I was glad you get to see them with the rest of the extra content.

I say Bioware handled most of the DLC for the final game in the trilogy pretty damn well.

• Thumbs Up 2