Awoo.

The Death of XP - Get $100!

Autosaver

From Bestbuy

"Windows XP is more than 10 years old, and Windows XP support is ending soon. After April 8, 2014, there will be no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates.

Without these, your computer will be increasingly vulnerable to viruses, spyware and other malicious software, which could ultimately result in the dangerous exposure of personal information. Over time, you'll also encounter more and more peripheral devices that won't work with Windows XP, and your computer will become harder and harder to maintain"

As many of you know, April 8th is in 2 days. Windows XP is a very old operating system and you shouldn't be using it anymore. So what can you do about it?

1) You can try upgrading the XP PC/Laptop to a newer operating system like Windows 7 or Windows 8. Unfortunately, some PC parts may not officially support these operating systems or there are no drivers available causing lots of troubleshooting. If it's an EARLY XP PC/Laptop it may run incredibly slow.

2) Bestbuy is offering a promotion right now where if you trade in a Windows XP Laptop, you get MINIMUM $100. This is great for decade old laptops that are barely working and are worth nothing on the market.

You get a minimum $25 GC and a $75 certificate to buy a new laptop. This can make it easier for people to transition onto newer devices.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computing-Promotions/Windows-XP-Trade-In-Offer/pcmcat327400050019.c?id=pcmcat327400050019

Spread the word!

• Thumbs Up 2

AHahahahahahahaha oh my god

I have a decade old Dell Inspiron in my basement. So many of my friends got PISSED when they found out it was laptops only.

AHahahahahahahaha oh my god

I have a decade old Dell Inspiron in my basement. So many of my friends got PISSED when they found out it was laptops only.

my backup laptops an xp, old HP pavalion, the smaller one, but I mainly keep it so I can have a computer that is hard to get distracted on....

I still use an XP desktop. If this was UK too and covered Desktops, chaching! Oh well, gonna stick with this junk heap till she dies.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyone know of anything like this happening in the UK?

I have an extremely old Win XP laptop & desktop. 

my backup laptops an xp, old HP pavalion, the smaller one, but I mainly keep it so I can have a computer that is hard to get distracted on....

You can sell it and use it to get a $99 Chromebook. A Chromebook is extremely limited and is mainly used for general PC purposes so that can be a nice alternative.

Oh. I thought you meant Experience points......

When did they stop supporting Windows 95/98?

Edit: Jesus Christ Windows 95 is almost 20 years old.

The thing about XP is that Microsoft constantly extended their support for it due to the failure of Vista and a lot of businesses having software that only worked on XP.

They stopped supporting 95 and 98 in 2006. 

The thing about XP is that Microsoft constantly extended their support for it due to the failure of Vista and a long of businesses having software that only worked on XP.

That and XP is amazing

• Thumbs Up 1

Is the money ONLY toward buying a laptop or just getting the money.

$25 Gift Card for anything.

$75 toward a laptop/pc/etc

• Thumbs Up 1

It's still possible to run XP in a VM for nostalgia's sake, right? Never fooled around with that much, but I want to try in the near future. That, and 95/98.

It kinda makes sense to be laptops only, technically you could upgrade a PC to run a new version of windows.  You know by... replacing everything to the point it's not even the same machine anymore.  But yeah a laptop is a laptop and would become useless unless you plan to make it a permanently offline machine.

Remember to check if any old games don't work beyond XP before tossing out or upgrading any computers either way though.  A particular classic is Beyond Good and Evil, even the Steam version doesn't work on Vista and upwards.

It's still possible to run XP in a VM for nostalgia's sake, right? Never fooled around with that much, but I want to try in the near future. That, and 95/98.

Yeah pretty sure you can run almost any version of Windows in a Virtual PC as long as you have the hard drive space and processing power. Don't know much about it myself.

It is also entirely possible to keep Windows XP on any computer, as long as you do it at your own risc. Although support ends now, nothing stops you from using it.

I have a notebook with Windows XP on it, but it is so old that it does not run well these days. In this country, there are no trade-in deals. The computers I commonly use run Windows 8.1 (except my laptop which runs Windows 7). I feel that most home computers so old that they still run Windows XP are usually so slow and worn that it is about high time they are replaced anyway.

I am more used to more modern computers for the time being (Windows Vista through Windows 8.1), and whenever I go back to any Windows XP computer, I realize how massively outdated it is in several aspects, both hardware and software. Computers are also, I think, much cheaper than they used to be.

So apparently ATM's use xp, wait ATMs, errrr...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/08/microsoft-ends-support-for-windows-xp-today

Oh and then there's the government with all of our information...yah prepare for a possible massive data leak.

Apparently, over 13 percent of PCs in the United States are still running Windows XP, despite Microsoft announcing the concrete end for support over two years ago. As much as 10 percent of U.S. government computers--including thousands of PCs holding sensitive information--will now be without further security updates.

Yesterday, The Guardian reported the UK government has paid Microsoft £5.5 million for a one-year extension of support. And lest you think the issue is only at the desktop and notebook level, don't forget as many as 60 percent of ATM machines in the U.S. are still running XP.

So, what's the solution? These businesses, government agencies, and consumers will have to upgrade. And while their choice lies between Windows 7 (already a generation old) and Windows 8 (a drastic change from Windows XP), either is probably better than a security breach.

So apparently ATM's use xp, wait ATMs, errrr...

XPe, not XP. XPe has several more years of support.

So apparently each coupon only discounts off of one computer, and cannot be combined.

Excuse me while I go cry in a corner with my crushed dreams.

I'm still on my Windows XP

Actually  I forgot all about this.

I love my Windows XP. I'm a sucker for old technology and I will refuse to give mine away. Even if support has expired.