Awoo.

Wii U discussion and upcoming news

Sean

Yeah, it kills the idea of off-TV play and would mean you need a new peripheral and controller just to play some GCN games. Kind of a let down. But sod it, I want to play Sunshine again and will gladly pay for an adapter for it.

I still have a hard time believing that Nintendo make some sort of clause to make it so that they could do re-releases of DK64, or DKR, considering the fact that they were still built around their IPs, and if they weren't on their systems they could never be played again due to DK/Diddie, but guess we have to wait and see

:V That would fix it.

But that also wouldn't fix it for anyone who wants to play it with the standard Pro Controller. Or.. you know, playing it on the Gamepad. And considering Nintendo wouldn't expect everyone to have a GC controller adapter as well as want to focus on the benefits of the Gamepad, you know they wouldn't limit it to just that.

I can see them giving support for it, though. I'm all up for that.

You were forced to have at least a Classic controller for SNES-> N64 games on the original VC, so people were boned if they just had a Wiimote. 

That was also a console where you were holding a stick with buttons, so not being able to play some games with it made sense. That's why the Classic Controllers were made in the first place.

Meanwhile we're talking about a console that also shares dual analogs, a D-pad, bumpers, and all four face buttons on both the Gamepad and the Pro Controller, and yet still not allowing them to play any GC games unless it's a GC controller. :v That would be total nonsense to do, regardless of the 'analog trigger' problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

well couldnt you have like the secondary button be the other "trigger"? like have ZR be run and squirt water in Sunshine and R is  stand still and squirt?

I dunno, im sure there is ONE way around it, possibly assign one of the triggers to be a "click" button, as the gamecube only had one z button. Using the example above for example, press ZR to run and shoot and L + ZR to stop and shoot?

I dunno, im just throwing things out now

Nope. Like I said, all the characters from DKR that aren't Diddy or Krunch are Microsoft's property. The misconception that Nintendo owns most of the characters comes from the fact that Banjo and Conker weren't in DKRDS. This isn't the case. Conker not appearing is for obvious reasons, and we don't know the exact reason Banjo wasn't in it. We can assume that it's because Nintendo didn't want to promote a Microsoft property, or that they though Banjo appearing would cause confusion in the who-owns-who debacle. Microsoft still owns Timber, Tiptup, Drumstick, Pipsy, Wizpig, Taj, TT, Pipsy, and Bumper, but you wouldn't know that because Microsoft never uses them.

The existence of DKRDS was because Microsoft doesn't have a handheld to compete with Nintendo's, so Rare was still able to release games for Nintendo's handhelds. In fact, they were still allowed to make DK games as long as it was on a handheld. Rare actually kept a handheld team in-house for the majority of their time of Microsoft. They did the DKC remakes, a couple Banjo spinoffs, Sabre Wulf, It's Mr. Pants, DKRDS, and Viva Pinata DS. Microsoft wouldn't publish these games, so Rare had to approach other companies to do that. Nintendo obviously had to publish the DK games and THQ did the rest. Unfortunately, THQ did not advertise the games at all, they all bombed, and the handheld team was eventually shut down.

The point is even DKRDS can't be on the Virtual Console.

Considering that all of those characters' only appearance was in a spinoff for a rival Nintendo IP, I find it hard to believe MS would have ownership of characters that they probably would be unable to use themselves even if they wanted to. I'm especially skeptical of this considering that you say everyone that wasn't Diddy or Krunch was owned by Microsoft...yet only Banjo and Conker were removed for the remake. Why not replace everyone else that wasn't Diddy or Krunch as well? Logically they either would had kept or replaced everyone else under Microsoft's thumb. If it's the case of "taking too much time to do" or "waste of resources" or some other thing, that just begs the question why they even remade the game in the first place if you would have to secure/replace all of the characters due to ownership issues in order to make it work properly. Can't help but feel like questioning your sources for all of this, but I assume it'd would be pointless because you'd probably be right nonetheless.

Ugh, stuff like this just reminds me how much I just hate talking about anything related to Rare nowadays-they're a husk of their former selves, most of their IPs are dead or being paraded to sell other games, and the majority of their classic library of games are inaccessible legally due to a clusterfuck of legal/copyright reasons (or in the case of the SNES DKC trilogy, no reason at all). That last point in particular makes them the videogame poster boy of Keep Circulating The Tapes.

Also Diddy Kong Racing DS sold 1.4 million copies worldwide by July 27, 2007-five months after it was released in the US (Feb. 5) and three months after it was released in the Europe (April 20). Can't speak for the others, but DKRDS achieving that milestone in a short amount of time doesn't seem like a flop to me.

ATTENTION ANYONE WITH A DELUXE WII U AND GOT THE MARIO KART 8 FREE GAME: The game is registered as purchase, so you get enough points for a $5 eShop credit!

well couldnt you have like the secondary button be the other "trigger"? like have ZR be run and squirt water in Sunshine and R is  stand still and squirt?

I dunno, im sure there is ONE way around it, possibly assign one of the triggers to be a "click" button, as the gamecube only had one z button. Using the example above for example, press ZR to run and shoot and L + ZR to stop and shoot?

I dunno, im just throwing things out now

It'd have to have some way of working, but I'm not sure how it would be done in an ergonomic way. Also, R is taken for the Z button, since it's in the same position. 

How many GC games make use of both triggers being analogue? Most games I remember only used one trigger's analogue feature while the other trigger didn't make use of it or both triggers had the same function. 

Maybe Nintendo can make it so that either the L or R button would be the half pressed ZR/ZL button and then make the other the GC's Z button depending on the game and what trigger made use of analogue controls.

Doesn't the WiiU have clickable sticks though? Surely one of those could become the Z button, especially the right stick which was hardly used on most games for Gamecube. Either that, or making the select button register as Z, but that just brings a whole load of issues [and to an extent, so does clickable right. Maybe left is better after all].

Either way, it leaves the L/R ZL/ZR buttons free for half-pressed and full-pressed L/R on a GCN Controller.

*snip*

Here's just one instance of Rare clarifying that they own the DKR cast. This was right after DKRDS was released.

Here's the part you care about:

As far as I'm aware - after asking around - all the major DKR characters who aren't Kongs or Kremlings still belong to Rare. Which would make Diddy, Dixie, Tiny and Krunch the 'licensed' ones in this case. And that means we can still do the M-rated Bumper prequel story! Thank you Jesus!

Also Diddy Kong Racing DS sold 1.4 million copies worldwide by July 27, 2007-five months after it was released in the US (Feb. 5) and three months after it was released in the Europe (April 20). Can't speak for the others, but DKRDS achieving that milestone in a short amount of time doesn't seem like a flop to me.

The games published by THQ bombed. The ports of the DKC trilogy and DKR did quite well.

Doesn't the WiiU have clickable sticks though? Surely one of those could become the Z button, especially the right stick which was hardly used on most games for Gamecube.

The main problem you're forgetting here is that most games that actively use the Z button are designed under the assumption that people will treat it as a shoulder button, which for many Cube games would be pretty awkward on a control stick click. Can you imagine trying to grab in Melee by clicking? Yeah, didn't think so.

http://segmentnext.com/2014/06/20/nintendo-wii-wii-u-might-get-banned-us-thanks-philips/

So. Wii U might get banned in America. The Wii as well.

Nintendo was found guilty of copyright infringement in Europe. If America falls, ouch. That's going to seriously wound them.

Someone please give me a reason why this article is in error. I'd really like to play Smash Bros. and Boom.

Thankfully the case rules should only apply to that continent right? That can't possibly be the case the world over?

Nintendo is currently appealing, and the only reason they lost was because they are pretty darned weak in the UK, and Phillips new that, does not mean the end, however it does set a precedent and would make it harder to refute in other regions, however I doubt this is over, Nintendo will give it their full go if they get an appeal, and I don't think the courts will necessarily allow them to kill Nintendo's primary source of funs, its more likely the courts will award a nice tasty settlement, especially since they know that Phillips is kind of powerless

I don't even know how Nintendo could come back from that. Not to mention the Wii U would just become a gigantic waste for those who already own one, destroying consumer faith.

The different region would be the main thing in Nintendo's defense.

The problem? Generally property laws are respected all across the West (which is why we get on China's case about bootlegs). If one western court says there's patent infringement, the US probably will as well. We're all market capitalist countries despite our differences, and as a result, we tend to respect ideas of patents, copyrights, etc. on both sides of the ocean.

While the US is generally more friendly to people with lots of cash, I don't think that's going to help when precedent is in play.

I'm predicting Nintendo will just pay a ton of royalties. It'd be suicide to leave this entirely in the hands of judges.

Figures this happens JUST as the Wii U finally stops being the butt of jokes.

Why do these punks go after Nintendo so much? Why do they never go after Sony or Microsoft; it's always Nintendo that gets this short end of the stick when it comes to people coming after them.

• Thumbs Up 4

I guess because they're the ones with the most cash or something. The bigger you are, the more of a target you become.

Looking over it, it looks like there's one way Philips could lose: if it doesn't have a patent filed in the US.

Even if that's the case, it doesn't bode well in Europe. I mean, sure, Europe's more SEGA territory anyway, but it would still be a HUGE hit to Nintendo's position.

Someone please give me a reason why this article is in error. I'd really like to play Smash Bros. and Boom.

The diagram

YCEQOqz.png

Basically describes a universal remote. The Wii Remote is not a universal remote.

Well that solves that problem...

...though I question the sanity of the UK courts after this, though.

I guess for once it might be a good thing courts in parliamentary countries are toothless when push comes to shove. Though I doubt Parliament would find any reason to get involved.

http://segmentnext.com/2014/06/20/nintendo-wii-wii-u-might-get-banned-us-thanks-philips/

So. Wii U might get banned in America. The Wii as well.

Nintendo was found guilty of copyright infringement in Europe. If America falls, ouch. That's going to seriously wound them.

Philips will have a harder time winning in the US than they did in England. In fact it's shocking Philips even won in the UK, considering how the patents are incredibly vague and don't really describe a Wii Remote or Wii U Game Pad at all. Anyway, though they did win in England, Nintendo instantly appealed and now Philips can't do anything for 2 years. They could theoretically keep appealing until the Wii U is out of production, and Philips wouldn't be able to do a damn thing.

• Thumbs Up 8

Philips will have a harder time winning in the US than they did in England. In fact it's shocking Philips even won in the UK, considering how the patents are incredibly vague and don't really describe a Wii Remote or Wii U Game Pad at all. Anyway, though they did win in England, Nintendo instantly appealed and now Philips can't do anything for 2 years. They could theoretically keep appealing until the Wii U is out of production, and Philips wouldn't be able to do a damn thing.

It really was a lose-lose scenario for them, I mean the ability to appeal negates it during the lifespan of the wii-u, and it helps that they did it in the uk, cause in the us there are 3 court circuits, each appeal takes you up a level all the way up to the supreme court 

they are too vague, and its unlikely to happen in the USA if they try, it only got through cause of the uk system really, that is Nintendo's weakest region for nintendo

I don't know if the UK court's decision is motivated by Nintendo being weak there, so much as said court clearly being filled by people with no common sense. I'm scared to see what other decisions the same court has handed down.

• Thumbs Up 1