Awoo.

Wii U discussion and upcoming news

Sean

So, does anyone know what is optimal for increased storage on the Wii U? I'm getting the Tropical Freeze elite reward and figured it was time to expand.

Should I go with a flash drive or an externally powered unit?

I've got a Buffalo HDD which has given no problems except the time I unplugged it due to severe power fluctuation and forgot to plug it back in.  The Wii U kept telling me I couldn't play without an update which it couldn't download.  It would have been more helpful to tell me that the HDD (or storage media) was unreadable.  Once I remembered I'd unplugged it, it was easy to fix.

Well, since nothing else there is a must have(pushmo World looks interesting, buuutttt) I finally have no excuse for not getting DKCTF

It's kind of sad just how many people skipped Tropical Freeze. It's pretty much the best game on the system.

I'd rather have a disc tbh. And I aim to get it soon since I recently finished DKCR and loved it to shreds. I might get Mario Golf: World Tour because I otherwise wouldn't have considered picking up that game

It's kind of sad just how many people skipped Tropical Freeze. It's pretty much the best game on the system.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is. I didn't think I'd love it THAT much (I did really enjoy Returns but I didn't love it nearly as much as the original DKC games), but once I played it..... DAMN... I couldn't put it down for a week straight. I went straight through the main game and all the way through Hard Mode to get 200% in just over a week I loved it THAT much. I'll probably replay it later on a new file, probably next year or so.

So how do you transfer all the games on the wii menu to the wii u menu?

So how do you transfer all the games on the wii menu to the wii u menu?

You can't, as far as I know. Anything you've downloaded on Wii has to be accessed on Wii U through the Wii menu.

Looks like the home of shitty indie platformers is getting another shitty indie platformer

Ugh, really? No seriously, that looks shite. What's with the obsession with "retro" platformers?

Retro indie platformers were a neat thing to have.

7 years ago. Now it's so overdone that indies are losing credibillity to a lot of people.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ugh, really? No seriously, that looks shite. What's with the obsession with "retro" platformers?

Technically the game wasn't made to ride the coattails of the indie "retro" platformer trend, it's actually not even supposed to even emulate retro platformers in the positive context. It's supposed to follow on the old games the Nerd reviews--having questionable / terrible game design choices / being difficult for the wrong reasons.

Not speaking in the game's defense (taking Solkia's word for it -who's played it IIRC- that using that type of design brief was...not a good choice, even given that was the point of the game), just felt like clarifying some things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Retro indie platformers were a neat thing to have.

7 years ago. Now it's so overdone that indies are losing credibillity to a lot of people.

I don't know a lot of people really love shovel knight and freedom planet 

Shovel Knight is seriously the only retro platformer I can think of that actually goes above and beyond what other throwback games fail to do, or do very poorly: actually be a proper tribute to old NES games and use what good ideas they have while polishing them with more modern sensibilities (e.g. getting rid of the lives system, but making the player want to avoid death as much as possible due to it still being very punishable). I'm sick of retro-styled games but Shovel Knight is one that ought to set an example for other indie titles.

• Thumbs Up 7

Shovel Knight actually knew what it was doing. Most retro indie platformers are just shit level design with the graphics made by some asshole on deviant art in MS paint.

Shovel Knight uses the NES pallet, has solid level design, and mechanics that are nods to a bunch of NES games.

• Thumbs Up 4

Probably because those were considered good and the complaint being presented was regarding the over-saturation of indie platformers masquerading as 'retro' games. Shovel Knight goes above and beyond merely being a reference to a bygone age.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd gladly welcome more retro style platformers if they were all done like Shovel Knight and mixed old with new to make something brilliant. Unfortunately a lot of stuff tends to be lazy rehashes of concepts long past. 

Indies in general seem to be moving away from that direction though, with stuff like Guacamelee and other indie games with unique art design and gameplay being more popular than the retro stuff.

Shovel Knight actually knew what it was doing. Most retro indie platformers are just shit level design with the graphics made by some asshole on deviant art in MS paint.

Shovel Knight uses the NES pallet, has solid level design, and mechanics that are nods to a bunch of NES games.

Ah ok Ive never played any other retro games besides shovel knight(and mega man 10 if you want to count that) so I was wondering what made shovel knight special compared to the rest ya know

Ah ok Ive never played any other retro games besides shovel knight(and mega man 10 if you want to count that) so I was wondering what made shovel knight special compared to the rest ya know

I gotcha, I doubt indie games are as popular outside a select few.

I got Mega Man 9 the other day on WiiWare. It's cool, but it pisses me off because there's a lot of things about it that are obviously pandering to MM2/3 enthusiasts rather than trying to evolve the series. Removing the charge buster and slide for instance, and elevating the difficulty even beyond what the NES Mega Man games did. Seriously, this is Mega Man & Bass levels of bullshit design.

No wonder Mega Man is dead tbh

• Thumbs Up 2