Awoo.

Wii U discussion and upcoming news

Sean

That's true. I never had this hard of a time with Mega Man 2-6; 1 had really iffy trial and error too that I'm glad later games didn't capitalize on. Capcom fucking flanderized classic Mega Man's difficulty in 9.

Although I really enjoyed MM9 and 10 when they first came out, Shovel Knight honestly made them look like crappy attempts at a retro revival tbh. Everything good about the old Megaman games is back, but so is literally every single thing wrong with them, and there are no technological limitations or anything to excuse it. The lives system in particular is especially frustrating compared to Shovel Knight's check points.

Seriously guys? AVGN being retro makes sense. Not only that, but it's a 2 year old game.

I agree that the retro indie game is kind of getting old but I don't see what has to do with a game based off a retro youtube channel.

Although I really enjoyed MM9 and 10 when they first came out, Shovel Knight honestly made them look like crappy attempts at a retro revival tbh. Everything good about the old Megaman games is back, but so is literally every single thing wrong with them, and there are no technological limitations or anything to excuse it. The lives system in particular is especially frustrating compared to Shovel Knight's check points.

Honestly there's nothing wrong with the lives system if the game is well designed and accommodates it. The problem is that MM9 had a lot of beginner's traps and poorly conceived challenges in an effort to make the game harder than the originals were.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously guys? AVGN being retro makes sense. Not only that, but it's a 2 year old game.

Shitty games last forever

Honest to god, the one game that I've played within the last 10 years that used lives effectively was the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed. You had a set number of lives that you could use to attempt a level. They reset once you finish the level. Outside of levels, you could complete challenges in order to increase that maximum.

It could use some refinement other than how Wii!Unleashed executed it, but it's better than having a piss-low number of lives on hand like Mega Man (although purchasing at Roll's shop alleviates the frustration of obtaining them, but I'd rather spend my screws elsewhere) or having 9999 like in the Sonic and Mario games

Back to Shovel Knight, I really like its death system for the most part. Rather than lives you lose half your cash. It's frustrating, but the game gives you a chance to go back and get back what you lost. The only problem with this is that once you buy everything in the game, dying brings about zero punishment and there's no reason to worry about losing anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dying in New Game Plus makes up for the fact that money is a nonissue by that point by taking away most of the checkpoints. Money isn't an issue anymore, but you lose significantly more ground to compensate.

In Mario, lives are really important. I dare you to try to keep more than 5+ lives at a time in multiplayer.

Ah ok Ive never played any other retro games besides shovel knight(and mega man 10 if you want to count that) so I was wondering what made shovel knight special compared to the rest ya know

Honestly, I can put up with the bullshit that is server issues at Gamestop. I've waited in line longer for a freaking Wii. What I really can't stand, however, is the varying release dates they have now. Europe, Japan, and the US are months apart now, for the same figures. This just makes the game that much harder.

I can't fathom why Nintendo continues to do such huge gaps between region releases. It makes even less sense for games like Kirby and Yoshi which require very little localization.

And don't get me started on how much the North American VC sucks compared to the JP and EU ones

• Thumbs Up 4

Nintendo of America hates Summer, as far as Yoshi is concerned. As for Virtual Console? I have no idea, maybe they're trying to get people to buy the shittiest games out of desperation? Well, that ain't happening this month. The 3 DS titles out so far can suck it, Mario Kart DS is the one worth the money.

I'm still irrationally mad about Woolly World.

They showed off Super Princess Peach in the Direct but didn't actually announce it by name. That's the only DS title I would buy

...if I didn't already decide that playing DS games on the Wii U is something I do not fucking want to do. So I bought it on eBay earlier today. Otherwise there's nothing ideal or appealing about playing DS VC games whatsoever to me.

Also if all other VC categories and Wii games are any indication, expect Nintendo to release a few more N64/DS titles and never release another one ever again.

I'm just surprised Donkey Kong 64 is one of them. Jesus Christ, how long was that wait? 8 years?

Also I'll probably double dip on Paper Mario since I'm a stupid asshole.

• Thumbs Up 1

DK64 was a shock. I'm not really a fan of it, but I'm glad to see it there and that all of the important Donkey Kong games are readily available on modern systems at last. I really want SM64 and Paper Mario but I might just have one of my friends who isn't using her coins get me download codes on CN and then I just pay for the discount.

• Thumbs Up 3

DK64 was a shock. I'm not really a fan of it, but I'm glad to see it there and that all of the important Donkey Kong games are readily available on modern systems at last. I really want SM64 and Paper Mario but I might just have one of my friends who isn't using her coins get me download codes on CN and then I just pay for the discount.

Well, Returns still isn't in NA, but that's not that big of a deal. It is readily available on 3DS.

I don't really get the point of DS virtual console-

>Sudden realization that I might be able to quintuple dip on Ace Attorney

I completely understand now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Certain games do somehow still cost an absurd amount of money, so releasing them digitally would actually put a damper on that. One such is NSMB, which is already released on the Virtual Console in Japan.

I see it now...we have N64 games and DS games...I can't imagine that GCN is far behind. Maybe I'll finally get around to playing Twilight Princess.

I see it now...we have N64 games and DS games...I can't imagine that GCN is far behind. Maybe I'll finally get around to playing Twilight Princess.

If a Gamecube Virtual Console is on the way, I doubt Twilight Princess will be one of them because Wii version.

tbh I'd rather Capcom skip AA1-3 because they're already on fucking WiiWare and 3DS eShop, and just put 4 out already because that's never seen a release elsewhere. Same with the Edgeworth games, but we won't be getting GK2 so in the end who cares

• Thumbs Up 1

If a Gamecube Virtual Console is on the way, I doubt Twilight Princess will be one of them because Wii version.

All things considered, I think they'd put up the GCN version of TP before the Wii version. In almost every case they've been putting up the original versions, and GCN is the "original" Twilight Princess.