Awoo.

Wii U discussion and upcoming news

Sean

Well I'd say the Amiibo restock is going well. I just found Marth at GameStop, right in the Amiibo section. YEEEEEEEEE

• Thumbs Up 1

IS that actually cheaper?

Like you look back at early 2000's Nintendo E3 and the conferences look like something out of a low-budget school, and people loved it. It might not be as flashy as an EA or Ubisoft conference but it'd be something.

Still there's more things you can do with a greenscreen than you can a live performance. Last year showed me that.

So here's something interesting, not sure if we have a Starfox thread(yet, with a new game coming it'll change), but figured I may as well put this here, a complete version of Star Fox 2 DOES exist!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/05/a_totally_complete_version_of_star_fox_2_really_does_exist

A Totally Complete Version Of Star Fox 2 Really Does Exist
Posted Thu 21st May 2015 06:45 by Damien McFerran

Foxy
And we're not talking about fan-made patched prototype ROMs, either
Later today, we'll be running an exclusive interview with Q-Games boss Dylan Cuthbert, a key figure in the history of the Star Fox series - he worked on the SNES original, its cancelled sequel, Star Fox Command and the 3DS port of Star Fox 64.
In our interview, Cuthbert reveals that a final, totally finished version of Star Fox 2 actually exists - and that he was able to play the game during the development of Star Fox Command:
Even after the decision was made we went ahead and completed it, taking it to be fully QA'd through Mario Club.
During development [of Star Fox Command] we received a copy of the mastered Star Fox 2 ROM to play, and it was quite a blast.
The many ROM images which exist on the web of Star Fox 2 are unfinished prototypes, and Cuthbert states that they are missing many elements which make the game complete. Even the ROMs that have been patched by industrious fans to remove bugs and pull together features that are spread across the various prototypes are - according to Cuthbert - a long way off what the final, mastered version is like.
Sadly, Cuthbert isn't hopeful that this edition of the game will ever see commercial distribution:
The legal problems regarding the now-defunct Argonaut Software are probably a nightmare. Never say never though! The fully complete Japanese ROM at least does exist.
We'd personally love to see Star Fox 2 on the Wii U Virtual Console - what about you? Post a comment below to tell us what you think, and keep an eye out for our full feature on the making of Star Fox 2, which goes live later today.

... Hmm if only they could release it as a bonus/unlockable in Star Fox U, now that would be sweet

aMFVq9h.jpg

...I have a funny feeling about this "Doug Bowser" VP guy.

• Thumbs Up 7

Oh man, the way that Mario and Luigi are tied up by a GC controller, the various plushies of Bowser's minions and that little cardboard cutout of Bowser you can somewhat see behind him..

He's gonna fit in right away at Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 3

My gosh, those Mario and Luigi plushies are all tied up.

Well played Bowser, well played...

A ton of Yoshi's Woolly World clips came out! All of them are on the channel of the above video.

A preview for the game has also gone live at NWR. I won't post the entire thing, but I'll highlight some new stuff we've found out in the spoiler tag below.

- takes place on Craft Island,a small island in the Handmade Ocean 

- this is where a clan of peaceful Yoshis live 

- Kamek shows up and turns most of the dinosaurs into various sets of yarn 

- Two Yoshi manage to escape to catch Kamek 

- as Kamek escapes, he drops yarn everywhere, which Yoshi sets out to get 

- health is represented by hearts that circle around Yoshi 

- use yarn balls to find hidden paths and platforms 

- in Knitty-Knotty Windmill Hill, you rebuild a windmill using yarn 

- pull bows with Yoshi's tongue to reveal secrets 

- some seemingly dead-end walls actually hide secrets 

- Smiley Flowers make a return 

- if you hit one at the stage's end roulette wheel, a bonus challenge will await you 

- collect fruit along the way 

- points that you earn are changed into beads, which are added to a specific counter 

- beads are used as currency for Power Badges 

- these badges will grant you special powers for a single course and you can only use one at a time 

- as you progress, more badges will become available 

- some badges help you to get 100% in older levels 

- badges let you use Poochy the dog, pull items in with a magnetic force, see hidden items, make your Ground Pound move stronger, become faster and more 

- you can even change your ability mid-stage 

- 20 of the beads in every stage contain Stamp Patches 

- these unlock some Miiverse stamps 

- there are 5 Wonder Wools in every course 

- grab all 5 to make re-knit a Yoshi and have them appear alongside you 

- options include Hot Cocoa Yoshi, Candyfloss Yoshi, Poochy Yoshi and more 

- every world has its own theme 

- start in a grassy world, move on to the desert, head to a wondrous playground, and then finish in a deep jungle 

- not every level in a world follows the overall theme 

- the second level is Bounceabout Woods, where all trees in the stage are bouncepads 

- another stage is Crawdaddy Beach, where you skip yarn balls across the water 

- “Wobbly Mobile Jaunt” has a number of mobiles similar to what you see in the Smash Bros. stage 

- tilt the mobiles to climb higher 

- “Scarf-Roll Scamper” makes you hang tight on fabric rolls to move about and you can't use your yarn ball 

- “Spooky Scraps! Don't Get Spooked” reveals platforms when you hide behind a curtain 

- when behind a curtain, enemies can't be defeated 

- Yoshi transformations include a motorcycle,a mermaid with a special spin attack, a plane, umbrella, digging device, and growing massively in size 

- levels have frequent checkpoints, but offer a good amount of challenge 

- supported controllers include Wii Remote, the Wii Classic Controller (Pro), the Wii U Pro Controller or the Wii U GamePad 

- when playing with just the Wii Remote, you can tilt to steer the yarn ball yourself 

- backgrounds of levels are sometimes curtains or clouds hanging from string

Ahhhh gotta avoid the spoilers for Woolly World.

So yeah, mister Bowser seems like a really cool guy! XD

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME THIS WAS A THING THAT FINALLY GOT SOME DETAILS ABOUT

CFg87wsWYAET3LP.png

-Lessons added

-You can upload time-lapse drawings onto YT

-You can save your pictures onto a SD Card or view it in a virtual gallery

-Family Wall where you can share a canvas with other members linked to the Wii U

-"A fully comprehensive drawing and painting package", meaning some updated options for drawing

-EU release date is 26/06, US release is unconfirmed

-Owners of Art Academy: Sketchpad can get the game for £21.40 instead of the normal price being £24.99

THIS SHIT IS GONNA BE SOOOO HANDY FOR ME. (I make all my art using Art Academy: Sketchpad)

• Thumbs Up 2

With the delays for Zelda U am I the only one who's worried it's gonna wind up switched to that new console Nintendo are developing? 

With the delays for Zelda U am I the only one who's worried it's gonna wind up switched to that new console Nintendo are developing? 

Never going to happen, we are 2-3 years at least out from that, and it would totally screw it up to change platforms at the last moment. Also for all we know NX is a handheld not a console. People are getting irrational, Nintendo has never abandoned a console early unless it caused physical harm, and it costs a lot to change hardware if you are more than halfway through development(look at sonic Boom). 

• Thumbs Up 1

It would be possible for NX (if it is a handheld) to receive a port of Zelda Wii U if the hardware is capable of it (albeit with downgrades), after all, Nintendo did want to port Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 3DS but could not due to the low resolution of the screen. Considering the substantial leap in mobile technologies during recent years, a handheld device that could run 360/PS3/WiiU levels might not be that far fetched, in fact, they already exist in some high end smart phones and tablets (but it could be argued that their non-dedicated purpose would raise the price).

Personally though, I think that it could possibly receive an enhanced port for the next home console but possibly act as a last hoorah for the system like Skyward Sword did for the Wii. It would make sense, Skyward Sword released in 2011, Wii U released in 2012. Zelda U releases in 2016, whatever the next home console is launches in 2017. 2012-2017 is a five year life cycle, so it fits.

• Thumbs Up 1

The best I can see happening is an enhanced port. But I also think the next console, if it is a home console, will be backwards compatible with Wii U.

While I don't believe it's confirmed, I'm pretty sure that the internal examination of Mario Galaxy 2 on 3DS was simply preparation for Mario 3D Land, to get an idea of what scale to use when designing a 3D Mario game on the 3DS; I don't think they were genuinely considering a port.

So, here's something fun to discuss: I doubt Nintendo will drop Miis anytime soon, so is anyone hoping Nintendo will update Miis for more detail, more customization options and just basically make them look more appealing? They've already got a blueprint to work with in StreetPass Fishing/Ultimate Angler, which looks like the perfect evolution for Miis, as opposed to XBox avatars, which are just plain soulless:

sPTSlkJ.png

M8bzS1v.pngMGnEYoY.png
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be honest while I'm pretty much okay with Miis, I've never been particularly fond of the detached limbs they've had in most 3DS titles. On the other hand, the WiiU ones don't have the Streetpass games and as a result far less customization for clothing options, which is the one thing I feel holds them back and, to be frank, pretty much the only advantage Avatars have over them. I say put in the best of both worlds - keep introducing new outfits through firmware updates, have some kind of hub game built into the system for them to interact in Streetpass-like fashion, and see where things go from there.

Incidentally, Smash has made me wonder how a fighting game exclusively with Miis would turn out, among things.

Following up from before, here's a few suggestions on how Nintendo could greatly expand Mii functionality and content:

Firstly, just update the general default 'simple' looks to be a lot more like the characters from StreetPass Fishing/Ultimate Angler, kthanks. Including simple outfits for the simple Mii representations.

Secondly, integrate a 'full body' editor for advanced character creation for pretty much everything below the neck Mii uses that involve full anatomy. This can still be fairly cartoony, but here, give players full freedom for customizing their character. The body proportions can be adjusted on a game-by-game basis to suit the title.

Thirdly? Expand on the Mii Plaza idea in a big way - take PS Home, but make it, well, not shit (or just plain more like, say, Gmod Tower). Instead of a generic 'realistic' setting, instead go for a full-on 'Nintendoverse' that lets plays mingle in familiar settings, complete with mini-games, and possibly even a full-on episodic campaign that can be bought piecemeal. Nintendo could basically make it a F2P 'social MMO' with cosmetic items and integrated with a single-player experience on the side.

But, yeah, these are mainly just ideas that could be really awesome, if implemented well.

I'd want them to look like Xbox avatars, clothes and everything. They're way better than Miis.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, having some kind of Amiibo museum in your hub strikes me as a good idea.  Not necessarily a formal exhibit with gaps for what you don't have, but just plonking your Amiibo down permanently in your "Nintendoverse" if you scan it there as decoration and a trophy.  Put your Amiibo in both your real and virtual rooms!

I'd want them to look like Xbox avatars, clothes and everything. They're way better than Miis.

Clothes, I'll give you, but aside from that, NOOOOOOOPPPPEEEEEE. Xbox Avatars are soulless abominations that aren't even remotely as customizable.

• Thumbs Up 6