Awoo.

Wii U discussion and upcoming news

Sean

Mii's have a lot of customization in the face, but otherwise that's it. You've got no customization whatsoever. I'm really mixed on them. I love the clothes and fantasy hair colors of Avatars. That said, I've not paid too close attention to X-Box Avatars and don't think they have much body customization either. So there is that, I guess.

I really wish Mii's had the ability to change outfits and have fantasy hair colors. It'd make them so much better. As your actual Avatar, I mean, not just in random available games.

Clothes, I'll give you, but aside from that, NOOOOOOOPPPPEEEEEE. Xbox Avatars are soulless abominations that aren't even remotely as customizable.

Huh? How so? They have plenty of mouths, eyes, noses, body types and hair styles like the Miis. The bodies are less simplistic, but I prefer them.

I mean, I'd want more options, but I don't find them less than Miis.

Huh? How so? They have plenty of mouths, eyes, noses, body types and hair styles like the Miis. The bodies are less simplistic, but I prefer them.

I mean, I'd want more options, but I don't find them less than Miis.

It's not just parts, but how you can manipulate them, such as position and whatnot. You're kidding yourself if you think Avatars can achieve some of the results people have made with Miis. Actually putting a bit of effort into positioning facial features can make a world of difference.

And the Avatars are just horrendously bland and devoid of personality. They're not Home avatars, at least, but, ugh. The StreetPass Fishing characters are a much better direction to go in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I forgot that. Well, with updated Miis they could keep that stuff.

And I completely disagree with the Street Pass Fishing characters. They're pretty bleh.

As they are I like the Miis way better than whatever Xbox has. I'm also attached to my Mii and a couple others I created based on my OCs

The Mii's are adorable and have tons of charm which the Avatars seriously lack. The only cool thing about Avatars is the different clothing and interactive items you can get for them, but I still much prefer the cute simplicity of the Miis and I always felt Mii!Gabz looked better than Avatar!Gabz. XP I would definitely like to see Mii's design change to the ones seen in Streetpass Fishing.

I like the avatars on Xbox, but not because of their expressions or anything. It's not that. It's the many clothing and props you can give them. The Props are pretty cool and it's cool to occasionally switch it up so my avatar switches from holding a Xbox Controller to trying to play a game of Sonic on TV. Despite that though, avatars aren't really expressive enough, and the kind of things you can do with a Mii are dead impossible with avatars. A mix between the two would honestly be pretty cool though, take the best of both worlds and put em in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only thing I fucking cannot stand is not being able to swap out your default Mii.

I don't want to change a single thing about my current one but I want to use a different Mii I already have made

I like Miis. Yeah, I wish there were more options here and there, like clothing and hats, but the simplicity of it gives me the same charm that Lego Minifigs do. 

I find myself making most of my comic characters in the Mii Maker, and most of the time I'm pleased with how they come out.

ASDA is going to stop selling all Wii U and 3DS products. As a result, games are going pretty cheap. Wish I'd seen this before I went to town today. Mario Kart 8 for £20 is a bargain. 

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/a-uk-retailer-is-cutting-all-wii-u-and-3ds-games-from-its-stores#.VWcTPrHTXQ9

Miis were the best back when the Wii came out, that's for sure! As for now, especially since the Wii U and 3DS are more personalized consoles, I would like to see more personalization. It doesn't have to be in the Mii Maker either, it could be specific to StreetPass Mii Plaza or even a user profile itself. And it wouldn't feel out of place: it sounds like something Nintendo would do. I would definitely welcome the change.

I mean, we got changeable backgrounds for the 3DS home screen, so Mii personalization doesn't seem too far off! [emoji6]

But yeah, for the most part, Miis are kinda ugly...

I like the avatars on Xbox, but not because of their expressions or anything. It's not that. It's the many clothing and props you can give them. The Props are pretty cool and it's cool to occasionally switch it up so my avatar switches from holding a Xbox Controller to trying to play a game of Sonic on TV. Despite that though, avatars aren't really expressive enough, and the kind of things you can do with a Mii are dead impossible with avatars. A mix between the two would honestly be pretty cool though, take the best of both worlds and put em in.

Pretty much me, I love the Miis but I wish they have the cool props my Avatars have.

My Avatar has Deadpool's mask, wearing a Sonic Generations T-Shirt with Chaos Emeralds.

Because my avatar was originally my dad's he still has his face so thank goodness for that Deadpool mask to avoid confusion.

It lives! New screenshots of FAST Racing Neo in action... hmmm if only Nintendo could hire these guys to make an F-zero game using their engine like they had the Puzzles and Dragons guy make a Mario puzzle game using their engine

fastracing01.jpg

fastracing02.jpg

fastracing03.jpg

EDIT: Info update too

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/06/fast_racing_neo_details_finally_exit_the_garage

FAST Racing NEO Details Finally Exit The Garage
Posted Wed 3rd Jun 2015 12:00 by Damien McFerran

Coming this year, online and 60fps confirmed
Shin'en's FAST Racing NEO has been in development for what seems like forever and we've heard - and seen - very little of the Wii U eShop racer so far.
Thankfully, that has changed today as the developer has kindly shared some screenshots - taken from the Alpha version of the game - to the official FAST Racing NEO site, and boy, do they look pretty.
Don't take our word for it, though - you can cast your beady eyes over the screens below:
Screenshot01
Screenshot02
Screenshot03
We've also been in touch with the studio's Mandred Linzner and he's outlined some key details on the racer that's on the way at the end of this year.
It'll run at 60fps (frames per second) and 720p
It'll support 1-4 local multiplayer
Online racing and online rankings will be included
The first footage will be shown in June.
Are you excited about this upcoming Wii U eShop exclusive? Let us know by posting a comment.

EDIT2:

keyshot.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Miis are GREAT, but unfortunately making anime characters is pretty hard. Especially when said anime character doesn't have many defining features besides hair and clothes. I kind of wish there was some kind of advanced Mii making where you could create your own hair models or something.

Is it okay if I post some Miis in here? Not now, I'm busy, but maybe later today? Or would that go off topic?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, look at this, that would have been interesting, makes you wonder if they've considered reaching out to other studios since then(like Sumo perhaps)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/06/exclusive_we_almost_got_a_wii_u_f-zero_created_by_burnout_studio_criterion

Exclusive: We Almost Got A Wii U F-Zero Created By Burnout Studio Criterion

Posted 6:00am Tue 23rd Jun 2015 by Liam Robertson

Amazing F-Zero fan art by FirebornForm

Would have been shown off at E3 2011

F-Zero is one of those franchises which Nintendo fans are constantly clamouring for, and not an E3 passes without demands from the masses for a brand-new entry. The series has been dormant for quite some time, although recent events - such as a F-Zero mini-game in Nintendo Land and the inclusion of the legendary Blue Falcon in Mario Kart 8 - have given fans hope that we could yet see a fresh instalment.

We can now confirm that the Wii U nearly launched with an F-Zero title. Back in 2011, Nintendo of Europe asked Burnout studio Criterion to work on a pitch for a new F-Zero, which would have been shown at E3 that year alongside the official unveiling of the Wii U itself. Shigeru Miyamoto has previously stated that he's at a loss about how the revive the series, which would explain why Nintendo opened up the field to third party developers, to see what they could come up with.

The objective was to show off a playable vertical slice of the game at E3 which would give fans a taste of what the full release would entail. A quick turnaround was essential, but sadly Criterion was hard at work on bringing Need for Speed: Most Wanted to multiple platforms and therefore couldn't spare the resource at the time.

Our source on this particular piece of information wishes to remain anonymous, but we've since had it verified by Criterion founder Alex Ward. He confirmed that the conversation between Criterion and Nintendo of Europe did indeed take place, and that time was of the essence for Nintendo. Because Criterion had prior commitments, nothing came of the idea - and it joined the untold legions of game pitches which went absolutely nowhere.

Would you have liked to have seen Criterion take on F-Zero? Post a comment below.

makes you wonder if they've considered reaching out to other studios since then(like Sumo perhaps)

Well, the answer appears to be no, considering there isn't a new F-Zero game.

Even if Criterion could spare the time, I don't feel like EA would let them dedicate that much to a WiiU exclusive. As much a missed opportunity as a Burnout-styled F-Zero is.

Kotaku had an interview with the man of NoA himself. He has some interesting things to say. The main points are:

Metroid Prime: Federation Force

On negative reaction to Nintendo’s unveiling of a new Metroid Prime spin-off game:

Fils-Aime: “Here’s what I would state: we know what our fans want. We will also push the envelope in developing something that we know is high-quality and that we know will deliver in the marketplace. The best example I can give you of this, and I think you will appreciate it, is Legend of Zelda Wind Waker. Remember when that art style was first shown. The uproar from the Zelda community was intensely negative. If there had been social media then, there probably would have been a petition to make that game go away.”

Totilo: “I guess you’ve seen the Metroid petition.”

Fils-Aime: “So, the game is developed, becomes one of the most beloved games of all time, one of the most highly-rated games of all time, so I use that example to say: ‘We know what we’re doing, trust us, play the game and then we can have a conversation.’”

Totilo: “And I’m not... Next Level Games is making it, and I believe in them, because Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon is fantastic. Mr. Tanabe has overseen many a great game. I think the question for me, which is a little different than what I’ve seen from some of our readers, I’m not so convinced that this game is going to be bad just because it doesn’t look like what I want. But my curiosity is: Do they [Nintendo] know that people still want a Samus Aran adventure?

Fils-Aime: “Absolutely.”

Totilo: “I was surprised there was no messaging that said, ‘Don’t worry, we know you’re interested in this as well....’”

Fils-Aime: “Look, we know that the fans want a straight Samus Aran game. We also know that the best way to launch a game like that is to surprise and delight them, to give them a launch date, in an environment like this let them play it vs. what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years. It’s just not the way we do things. We know the community wants to see a straight-up Metroid game. We know it.”

• Thumbs Up 3

So, while the NX isn't Android-based, it may very well be able to emulate Android software.

This little factoid got lost in the translation of this article, but I thought it deserved its own thread, since the NX = Android rumors have been going around.

Here's my translation of what the original article says.

• When Nintendo announced their mobile games, Amazon was very interested in having the games also be on the Amazon App store.
  • Nintendo games will be on the Amazon store on day one, or shortly after Play Store and App Store.
  • Amazon is asking Nintendo what they need to do to have Amazon App Store games play on Nintendo consoles
  • Amazon got the impression that Nintendo is thinking about emulating Android games.
  • Nintendo will not create an Android system, but instead will emulate Android games. It's not something that's confirmed, but just an interpretation of the conversations. (Think how Blackberry is doing it)
The GoNintendo translation has most people thinking that the rumor is Amazon will exclusively have Nintendo games on their store, and even on the FireTV; when it's actually the opposite. Amazon wants to make sure they have Nintendo games in their store in addition to the Google and Apple stores.

Wait? Amazon want to cater to everyone when it comes to Nintendo games? Even outside of their platform?

Rumours, of a sort, but I was under the impression Amazon only cared about exclusives, judging that article about canning many BBC programmes from Instant Video ages back.

Wait? Amazon want to cater to everyone when it comes to Nintendo games? Even outside of their platform?

Rumours, of a sort, but I was under the impression Amazon only cared about exclusives, judging that article about canning many BBC programmes from Instant Video ages back.

Nintendo IPs are the most valuable games on the market, everyone wants them. 

Also makes sense, compatibility with their own mobile game means they get bonus mini ones on their home consoles. They already did Unity compatibility

I could honestly see Nintendo doing some sort of system like Playstation Mobile.

They'll bring their mobile games to the NX via this system alongside the existing releases on Android and IOS, and they'll allow other companies to port over their mobile games to the NX via software that they'll receive off Nintendo.

That amazon thing is pretty interesting though, as a owner of a Kindle Fire HDX. There's also this rumor up on GoNintendo's website that was paired with the amazon one about how Nintendo and Disney are negotiating a deal for films, video games and interactive toys/merchandise, that Mario could appear in Wreck-it Ralph 2 with this deal in place and that both Nintendo and Disney are open to a game where Mickey and Mario meet up.