Awoo.

Wii U discussion and upcoming news

Sean

Interesting, slightly depressing news for F-Zero fans:

Nintendo asked Burnout developer Criterion Games to make a Wii U version of its long-dormant F-Zero racing series.

The Wii U was at one point planned to launch with a new F-Zero game, Nintendo Life has revealed, but Criterion had to pass on the opportunity to make it as the studio was too busy developing Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

Nintendo reached out to Criterion in early 2011, sources say, around 18 months before the Wii U's release. The UK developer was asked to create a quick demo of the game to be ready in time for that year's E3.

"The objective was to show off a playable vertical slice of the game at E3 which would give fans a taste of what the full release would entail," a source explained. "A quick turnaround was essential, but sadly Criterion was hard at work on bringing Need for Speed: Most Wanted to multiple platforms and therefore couldn't spare the resource at the time."

The report has since been verified by Criterion founder Alex Ward, who confirmed that timing scuppered the deal as the studio could not spare any resources to get a demo version completed.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-23-nintendo-asked-burnout-dev-to-make-wii-u-f-zero

If anyone knows how to do a fast, hectic racing game, it's Criterion. It's pretty miserable to know that Criterion's F-Zero didn't happen then, and that it may never happen, but it looks like a very clear indication that Nintendo is in fact open to bringing us a new entry in the classic racing series (contrary to reports that previous installments' low sales have all but killed it). Add to this F-Zero's presence in Nintendo World and Mario Kart, and it looks like there's still a real commitment to the old series within Nintendo, and that maybe all the company is looking for is for the right developer to become available to make it happen.

F-Zero NX baby, BELIEVE it.

^ A shame that never happened. In the case of Criterion, they've been working on a new IP as of 2013's release of NFS Rivals (though half of the studio's staff temporarily split to assist Visceral Games in the development of this year's Battlefield: Hardline). Maybe when they're done with that, Nintendo could try again, hopefully?

Even if that turns out to be unfeasible, I do hope Nintendo's still looking for a potential dev to tackle the series.

In fairness to Criterion, its new IP looks like it's going to be stunning and mad as all hell, and it wouldn't surprise me if EA nips in quickly as they eventually wind down its development to order a sequel. I'd like to hope that Nintendo could nab them first though, as they would be a great fit for the series, and with F-Zero popping up in NW and MK, it does look like they're trying to keep the F-Zero fires burning until a suitable developer (Criterion or otherwise) becomes available to handle it.

Which is also explained in the article. They were bored stiff after working on it.

Apparently.

Here's why you should buy Paper Mario (or DK64 if you're into that sort of thing) on the Wii U VC right now:

Game has motherfucking rumble pak support. I must have missed the memo on it when N64 games were unveiled since I honestly didn't think Nintendo would bother emulating it, but here it is. I've gone through this game about five or six times in my lifetime but not once with rumble since I lacked the add-on, so this is a really fresh experience for me. Added onto that is Paper Mario being a game that benefits greatly from customized controls and this just about makes the Wii U the best console this game can be played on.

I just wish non-JP versions of SM64 supported rumble. Siigghhhh

• Thumbs Up 1

In fairness to Criterion, its new IP looks like it's going to be stunning and mad as all hell, and it wouldn't surprise me if EA nips in quickly as they eventually wind down its development to order a sequel. I'd like to hope that Nintendo could nab them first though, as they would be a great fit for the series, and with F-Zero popping up in NW and MK, it does look like they're trying to keep the F-Zero fires burning until a suitable developer (Criterion or otherwise) becomes available to handle it.

I just hope that if they do end up making one they won't have that stupid slow mo effect when you crash somebody like in their other games or at least make it toggleable since its a real pace breaker for me.

Here's why you should buy Paper Mario (or DK64 if you're into that sort of thing) on the Wii U VC right now:

Game has motherfucking rumble pak support. I must have missed the memo on it when N64 games were unveiled since I honestly didn't think Nintendo would bother emulating it, but here it is. I've gone through this game about five or six times in my lifetime but not once with rumble since I lacked the add-on, so this is a really fresh experience for me. Added onto that is Paper Mario being a game that benefits greatly from customized controls and this just about makes the Wii U the best console this game can be played on.

I just wish non-JP versions of SM64 supported rumble. Siigghhhh

I already got DK64 and completely beating, but I am planning on getting Paper Mario as well.

At this point, I'd rather Twilight Princess get the Wind Waker HD treatment, than be released on the VC like some late 90s game. I mean, it runs on a modified WW graphics engine and came out more recently, so let's see it get the WWHD treatment and be kickass.

Also, I'm playing OOT on my brand new New 3DS XL, and it's gorgeous.

• Thumbs Up 3

NA has been getting the shaft when it comes to a lot of VC releases. Took us forever to get Fire Emblem GBA 2, and we still don't have Golden Sun 2 or Metroid Zero Mission

I'm not expecting OOT 64 to show up for another four months. Personally I'm hoping Majora's Mask comes eventually so I can upgrade my Wii version to one with hopefully perfect sound emulation.

• Thumbs Up 2

NA has been getting the shaft when it comes to a lot of VC releases. Took us forever to get Fire Emblem GBA 2, and we still don't have Golden Sun 2 or Metroid Zero Mission

I'm not expecting OOT 64 to show up for another four months. Personally I'm hoping Majora's Mask comes eventually so I can upgrade my Wii version to one with hopefully perfect sound emulation.

Took us forever to get DKC/DKL1-3 as well. At least we got DK64 not too long after the rest of the world.

Turns out, You're wrong! OoT64 drops on NA VC tomorrow

http://gonintendo.com/stories/237549-the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-coming-to-na-wii-u-vc-tomorr#comments

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time coming to NA Wii U VC tomorrow

01 July, 2015 by rawmeatcowboy |  Comments: 4 

Save Hyrule and the Triforce from the evil Ganondorf.

The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ – one of the most critically acclaimed games ever made –returns on the Nintendo eShop for Wii U™. Set off on a legendary journey to stop Ganondorf, who has plunged Hyrule into darkness. Travel through time as child and adult Link™ and experience Hyrule in peace and war to save the world and protect the Triforce.

Your quest takes you through dense forests and across wind-whipped deserts. Swim raging rivers, climb treacherous mountains, dash on horseback across rolling hills, and delve into dungeons full of creatures that fight to the finish to put an end to your adventures. As Link, you'll also travel through time to solve puzzles, save friends, and right Ganondorf's wrongs with the help from your trusty Ocarina of Time and the mysterious youth, Sheik. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is one of Nintendo's most epic challenges ever and one of its most touching stories, and is an absolute must-play for Nintendo fans.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/vcHW9DsWoiFVqBekK9b8pVkI92ocZX-X

So guess we are lucky after all. Now if only we could get another N64 VC game as well tomorrow, perhaps something from wii VC, or something that wasn't, maybe Goemon or Castlevania.. or soon at least, currently we have no third party N64 VC games, and that saddens me, wish we would get a steady stream of them for a couple months :(

Turns out, You're wrong! OoT64 drops on NA VC tomorrow

http://gonintendo.com/stories/237549-the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-coming-to-na-wii-u-vc-tomorr#comments

So guess we are lucky after all. Now if only we could get another N64 VC game as well tomorrow, perhaps something from wii VC, or something that wasn't, maybe Goemon or Castlevania.. or soon at least, currently we have no third party N64 VC games, and that saddens me, wish we would get a steady stream of them for a couple months :(

Yeah, noticed that. Huge surprise; maybe we'll be able to get Jungle Climber right away as well? King of Swing is... meh, but I've heard Jungle Climber was far, far superior and is actually pretty good overall.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay but where's Kirby 64 and those Wii games we never got

I'm in the camp of not giving a single damn about OoT rereleases anymore. 3D was already released, and it's the only one that isn't the exact same thing (graphically that is).

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, yeah, its Ocarina of Time, its been released a lot, but it is another N64 title at least.

Well this release is unique in that it's the first(and so far only) release with re-mapable controls

Hell I never even finished OOT3D. It's a pretty great port of course, but the base game is still as boring to me as ever. I do need to get onto that so that I can finally pick up MM3D

Hey, yeah, its Ocarina of Time, its been released a lot, but it is another N64 title at least.

Yeah but it was already on the wii's shop channel and it already has a definitive port on 3DS. Honestly its kind of hard to get excited over game releases that we already have plenty of access to and its not really helped by how slowly nintendo releases these games on the eshop.

See although I do get annoyed at Nintendo's VC droughts, I legitimately enjoy the fact that different versions of games are on the eShop, because while I can't stand playing the NES version of SMB1, I fucking love Deluxe and it's one of my favorite handheld games, so I'm happy that Nintendo provides those sorts of options. So just because there's already a 3DS version doesn't mean I believe the N64 version's release to be unjustified - I just wish Nintendo would fucking step up their sketchy-ass VC release schedule, especially NOA's

See although I do get annoyed at Nintendo's VC droughts, I legitimately enjoy the fact that different versions of games are on the eShop, because while I can't stand playing the NES version of SMB1, I fucking love Deluxe and it's one of my favorite handheld games, so I'm happy that Nintendo provides those sorts of options. So just because there's already a 3DS version doesn't mean I believe the N64 version's release to be unjustified - I just wish Nintendo would fucking step up their sketchy-ass VC release schedule, especially NOA's

I'm not either, i'm just tired of not really getting anything, well, new and like you said if nintendo would fix their schedule my grievances would all be gone.