Awoo.

Wii U discussion and upcoming news

Sean

So, not entirely sure what's going on here, but apparently there are new Deluxe Wii Us on eBay for $30?

I'm not seeing it. The cheapest I see is $196.

That's because eBay nuked both listings I saw, so it was probably an accidental listing. Typo or something.

Now I just see if the one I bought will go through anyway. Paypal took the money, so...

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess this fits in here, so here it is!

"You mean you have to use your hands!? That's like a baby's toy!"

Following Duck Hunt's release on the Wii U eShop on Christmas of last year (something unheard of as it seemed like after about 10 years of Virtual Console, the Zapper games would never make a return), Wild Gunman is coming to the EU eShop tomorrow to celebrate Marty McFly's venture to what was once the future, but as of today... well, the past.

It's nice to see another Zapper game get ported to the eShop definitely, and I've always kind of wanted to give Wild Gunman a try but I'm not the biggest fan of getting NES cartridges since you can literally never find them public unless you get a hawkseye and hunt around a car boot sale or something.

Still hoping for Hogan's Alley to follow this up sometime in the future and complete the main trinity of Zapper related games, I also wonder if any Super Scope games like Yoshi's Safari could get ported to VC in the future?

EDIT: Oh wait, scratch the Hogan's Alley hopes, that's the other game coming to the eShop this week!

Edited by 2spinny4u
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm hoping for Super Scope games as well, would love to be able to try Battle Clash and Metal Combat(an Intelligent Systems made duology), as well as try the 6-pak and Yoshis Safari again. Irony is they've already made all the code they need with zapper VC

Edit: Also Hogan's Alley was already confirmed

Edited by Mando-Whirl-Wind

That would be the first third party game on the wii service btw, now if only we can start getting some of the classic N64 third paty games, like the expensive Castlevania(that I wanna try), Bomberman, or Goemon... ironicly enough all of those are owned by Konami, and they have been having good VC relations at least

• Thumbs Up 1

If there's one Konami game that's needed on VC it's Metal Gear Solid for GBC. But I assume they're waiting for NX for more Game Boy games.

I would not at all be surprised if we saw Sonic Colours on the Wii VC. But then again, still waiting for a western release of Sonic Advance on the GBA VC.

Looks like we're getting at least one more Direct this year:

While it was obvious Directs were going to return, it's nice to know we're definitely getting one this year. I was starting to get slightly worried.

My personal pick would be mid-to-late November, maybe early December, to promote Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam and Nintendo's broader Christmas lineup.

I don't think it can be late November or December, that's too late. It has to be early-to-mid November instead, no later than the 14th. It needs to be early as possible. Next week is a plausible candidate; Tecmo Koei is confirmed to be showing off a new Hyrule Warriors Legends trailer. That would also be two weeks after the initial Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash trailers, so next week would be ideal to show off new content and maybe announce the Super Mario line's Wave 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Normally I would agree with you, but I'm cautious about predicting anything too soon on the admittedly slightly superstitious grounds that people have been predicting Directs "next week" for months and it hasn't happened yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Normally I would agree with you, but I'm cautious about predicting anything too soon on the admittedly slightly superstitious grounds that people have been predicting Directs "next week" for months and it hasn't happened yet.

That's because the longer it goes without a Direct the more likely it is to happen. There's not a whole lot of time left in the year. The next Direct is happening and its happening soon.

Apparently Nintendo Direct is going to be remodelled next year

Wonder what it's going to be like.

I would speculate that they'll no longer be structuring the Directs around a central "presenter" figure, since they no longer have anyone who can quite take Iwata's place on the world stage.  This would also make it easier to drop in/out content on a region-specific basis.

• 1 month later...

Well you Europeans are in luck, you guys get your second Wii downloadable third party game, and it's Zack and Wiki, and it's on discount(although, I'd exchange getting no third party wii games for getting third party N64 games any day of the week)

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys, please PLEASE get Zack & Wiki. I want to live in a world where the game is profitable and/or makes CAPCOM think of making a sequel. One of my favorite Wii games of all time.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ah, I freakin' loved Zack & Wiki! XD

Um...I'm no good at following the news and I assumed it has already been discussed at least a little. I was wondering why Nintendo is not bothering with the GameCube for Virtual Console. Is there a legitimate reason that I'm not aware of?

There's some gems I'd like to play again without having to dig out a GameCube, like Paper Mario TTYD, Luigi's Mansion and Baten Kaitos for example.

Ah, I freakin' loved Zack & Wiki! XD

Um...I'm no good at following the news and I assumed it has already been discussed at least a little. I was wondering why Nintendo is not bothering with the GameCube for Virtual Console. Is there a legitimate reason that I'm not aware of?

There's some gems I'd like to play again without having to dig out a GameCube, like Paper Mario TTYD, Luigi's Mansion and Baten Kaitos for example.

No known reason yet. The only thing I can think is possibly hardware restrictions, but that's iffy. Maybe they're still working on the emulator and wanted to work more on past consoles first.

For hardware restrictions, there's a slight possibility of that being the case. The main issue is that, with VC releases (EXCEPT for Wii), the software runs on an emulator in addition to the normal Wii U hardware. And that's the issue; running both the emulator and the Wii U's operating system at the same time.

Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii. For the Wii VC, its not an emulator they're using for it. Instead, it uses the Wii OS built into the Wii U, it just launches it directly from the Wii U menu. That's the difference.

I don't think its a hardware restriction, though. They're probably just trying to get as much out of pre-GCN and DS first and are likely working on a GCN emulator right now. However, the emulator will take some time to produce, and its likely not a high priority. So, that's probably why there's no GCN DLC yet.

Notably, Nintendo has been very good with getting many emulators out, while Sony has only recently finally gotten to doing PS2 emulation, and they've got less systems to work with.

Right now, all of Nintendo's past systems, and even SEGA Genesis and Game Gear, are all on Nintendo's Virtual Console, with the exception of the Gamecube. That's pretty impressive. I wish they'd update it more often, especially in NoA, but they do have support for all past consoles.

Another factor may be the NX; they may also be trying to make sure everything works on the NX, too, upon launch. That's just a possibility.

• Thumbs Up 1

Minecraft: Wii U Edition is officially a thing, and it's coming to the eShop (in Europe at least) on 17th December.

More on Minecraft Wii U, now confirmed to also be coming to the US on the same day:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/12/minecraft_finally_digs_its_way_onto_the_wii_u_eshop_on_17th_december

Nintendo has now confirmed that Minecraft: Wii U Edition will hit the eShop on 17th December in North America and Europe, with a price of $29.99 in the US. It'll have off-TV play, naturally, while the following add-on packs will be included for free.

• Battle & Beasts Skin Pack
  • Battle & Beasts 2 Skin Pack
  • Natural Texture Pack
  • City Texture Pack
  • Fantasy Texture Pack
  • Festive Mash-up Pack

There'll also be 16 packs available for purchase right away on the eShop with more promised in the future, though pricing hasn't been given at the time of writing.

• Festive Skin Pack
  • The Simpsons Skin Pack
  • Doctor Who Skins Volume 1
  • Doctor Who Skins Volume 2
  • Star Wars Classic Skin Pack
  • Star Wars Rebels Skin Pack
  • Star Wars Prequel Skin Pack
  • Mass Effect Mash-up Pack
  • Skyrim Mash-up Pack
  • Plastic Texture Pack
  • Candy Texture Pack
  • Cartoon Texture Pack
  • Steampunk Texture Pack
  • Pattern Texture Pack
  • Greek Mythology Mash-up Pack
  • Halloween 2015 Mash-up Pack

Best of all "Nintendo and Mojang are also collaborating on new content for Nintendo fans to be released at a future date"; it'll be interesting to see what form that'll take.

Finally, Skyrim on Wii U!

Also, PR from Mojang

MINECRAFT COMING TO NINTENDO WII U
Posted on Dec 7, 2015 by Owen Hill

Hello!

I bring exciting news! We’re bringing Minecraft to Nintendo Wii U!

That’s a surprise, eh?*

Anyway, now it’s 100% official. Minecraft is launching on Nintendo’s Wii U console on December 17th. It’ll cost $29:99 or equivalent, will be available to download on the eStore, and comes bundled with six of our most popular add-on packs. There’s even a Festive mash-up included just in time for the holidays.

We’ll be adding more content packs to Wii U Edition in the near future (Wa-hoo!), and updating the core game with free updates, just like our other platforms. As a quick reminder: all DLC packs are optional. You can have significant amounts of fun playing Minecraft without spending extra cash.

Minecraft: Wii U Edition will also feature off-TV play, so you can continue playing on the Gamepad when other people want to use the TV for less fun things like movies or other video games.

We’ll have more to share on Minecraft: Wii U Edition closer to its release. Looking forward to welcoming you to the world of Minecraft, Nintendo fans!

Owen - @bopogamel

*Minecraft: Wii U Edition will have an ESRB rating of E10 and a PEGI rating of 7 for “fantasy violence.”

http://www.mojang.com/2015/12/minecraft-coming-to-nintendo-wii-u/

I see no mention of inventory management on the GamePad. Would be funny if after all these years of people talking about how perfect Minecraft would be on Wii U because of that, we finally get it and that's not a feature.