Awoo.

Tomodachi Life [3DS] - "All Hail the Virtual Boy!", 6th June 2014

Doctor MK

I wanted Disney Magical World, but because that game doesn't even have a European release date yet I think I might pick this one up instead. I mean, wow. This is so surreal and weird yet so wacky and hilarious at the same time!

All hail Virtual Boy indeed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want this so bad, after Animal Crossing and Pokemon this looks like the next big time sink for me.

This is the most bizarrely surreal shit I've ever seen. Nintendo has lost their minds.

I'm interested, but I'm not sure if I want Samus date simulator featuring Microsoft Sam or Smash 4. I can probably only get 1 this year.

iyWMyDqKqIxtQ.gif

Wow... to think that when I first heard about this while sneaking a peek at one of the japanese Nintendo Directs, I didn't really give it much thought. At first, I wrote it off as a less charming Animal Crossing, look at New Leaf and said, "No thanks. I'm good!".

But after that Direct, I'm glad to say that I couldn't have been more wrong. This game seems to have a ton of charm and a style completely of it's own, really using the miis well here instead of just been another mini-game party, save file or extra character. I was always hoping for something to really use the Miis well without depending on streetpass, and while it may not a more in-depth Find Mii RPG that I hope Nintendo looks into one day. I'd say that this game will definitely have more than enough hilarity and depth to keep me engage.

It's coming and it's not that far away! Definitely looking like a Day 1 title to me.

So it appears Tomodachi Life is based more on reality than we first realised:

10006989_613649302052860_790687242317560

The Regginator and the Virtual Boy in the same picture... I don't know who to bow down to first!

• Thumbs Up 8

God damn it stop teasing me Nintendo, you know how much I want VB Wario Land and Bound High on the 3DS eShop even though it's not gonna happen D;

Reggie needs to walk in the street just saying Tomodachi like in the Direct as a promotional campaign and joke.

• Thumbs Up 1

Presenting it with the Nintendo personalities' Miis in the game was a stroke of genius.  It made the appeal so much more obvious than if they'd used generic characters.

iMes5kkNnjZ13.gif

I once could see, but now I'm blind!

Praise be the Virtual Boy!

Morgan Freeman joins the brawl sing-off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZZbEBGirjE

This is just... just beautiful. The amount of creativity you can pour into this game is just insane!

• Thumbs Up 5

This is the most bizarrely surreal shit I've ever seen. Nintendo has lost their minds.

I think they finally cracked under the realization that the Wii U will never take off this generation.

Only reason I can come up with as to why the game allows people to form a cult around the Virtual Boy of all things.

All hail

I'm pretty excited, this game looks really fun, cute. Hilarious.

It's like a cartoon, with a wackiness that is probably at the best level. Not...extreme, but not subtle. Er, at all.

But I like that.

All hail

I'm pretty excited, this game looks really fun, cute. Hilarious.

It's like a cartoon, with a wackiness that is probably at the best level. Not...extreme, but not subtle. Er, at all.

But I like that.

Oh man, that direct doesn't even tip the surface of the shit you can do. With enough imagination, I can guarantee that your ass will indeed be laughed off. 

Yoshio Sakamoto (not sure if he is the producer or director) of Tomodachi Life talks a little about what he plans for the future.

CVG: In your Tomodachi presentation, you mentioned your mission to 'create a game that moves the industry forwards'. Does that mean you will not return to the more traditional game series that you're known for?

Sakamoto: I do not intend to do so. There might [currently] be various tasks I might be involved in with past series. However, even if so I would always like to introduce new entertainment and new fun to those series.

I would like to satisfy fans of those series, but also working with other talented individuals I would like to create entertainment that's completely different and that brings new emotions. I would like to challenge myself in those unique directions.

This might be indirect, but if we can make new types of gamers enjoy video games for the first time through Tomodachi Life, then they might eventually become interested in the more conventional games. I think we need to ensure that video games remain attractive to consumers, and in order to do so new concepts and ideas are important. I would like to challenge myself to do that.

You do that man... just keep most of your ideas away from Metroid.

small update:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/226415-north-american-version-of-tomodachi-life-only-features-english

The European version of Tomodachi Life makes me a big deal out of it that you can mix and mash Miis with various different languages. Sadly, this won't be the case for North America. Reader cyberboz contacted a local Nintendo rep and the response was sadly not the one he hoped for. We have translated response here for you below:

''Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, I can confirm the information that you have already found out: the North American version of Tomodachi Life will not be available in French at the time of its release.

I can definitely understand your opinion and I want you to know how much we appreciate that you have shared it with us.''

That's kind of lame.  The European version shows it can all fit on the game card so why limit it to English?

A quick look at what your first day in Tomodachi Life might be like... (contains some NSFW language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lYApoRpQyc

EDIT: Brand new "Weird Dreams" trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq4bSdxudrg

Shaquille O'Neal confirmed as another guest Mii, I'm presuming?

• Thumbs Up 6

EDIT: Brand new "Weird Dreams" trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq4bSdxudrg

Shaquille O'Neal confirmed as another guest Mii, I'm presuming? 

Shaq Fu 3DS confirmed.joking

(how the fuck do I fail so bad)

Kirby Triple Deluxe, Smash Bros 3DS, & now Tamodachi Life?!?! Nintendo is determined to get my money this summer...and it's working.

• 4 weeks later...

Buy Tomodachi Life, get two download codes for Tomodachi Life: Welcome Version!

That's right, you can spread the love by sending a demo version of the game to two of your friends or family when you purchase the full retail game yourself - this allows them to play the opening stages of the game and transfer their Mii over to the full game if they buy it themselves... and unlock a rare panda costume in the process!

I have the "Welcome Edition" (it's called "Move In Version" in America), NoA gave it to select Club Nintendo members. It lets you create 3 Miis and gives you access to the music studio (but not full songs). It did a good job of making me want the full version, because I need to see what else I can get as more Miis move in, it dangles those carrots over you plenty of times.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also have the Move-in Edition and it's pretty much sold me on the game.

The music studio has half a song and I like to see how far it can go without cutting out.

It's a fun game! Too bad I have no more problems to solve.

Oh, and I accidentally made Reggie's hair permanently green. Whoops.

Buy Tomodachi Life, get two download codes for Tomodachi Life: Welcome Version!

That's right, you can spread the love by sending a demo version of the game to two of your friends or family when you purchase the full retail game yourself - this allows them to play the opening stages of the game and transfer their Mii over to the full game if they buy it themselves... and unlock a rare panda costume in the process!

Now that's a smart move on their part