Awoo.

Rio 2

Agie

I watch it for the animation, I love the colours and with that, I agree with Nepenthe. I don't care if the story isn't Pixar quality (a term I've grown to despise since everyone constantly compared animation to them), it's still storytelling in a simple way while being its own thing and not being a try-hard.

In fact, can you guys STOP comparing every animation to Disney and Pixar? I'm sick of it in every animation argument and all its doing is discouraging people from ever taking up animation because they can never be one or the other.

What about DreamWorks and Illumination? Because I think How To Train Your Dragon 2 Despicable Me 2 look like more interesting/better executed sequels than this film.

Ehhh, Despicable Me 2 was okay. Gru's story is contrived and without stakes in places because most of his bigger problems can be solved by the technological prowess he possesses. The girls- who were the previous heart of the film- are completely wasted and have little to do except bumble around and look at guys. Gru's love interest Lucy is awesome though; she's Lola Bunny but with actual competence (and voiced by the same person), although her romance with Gru isn't developed convincingly within an animated film framework. It shines only through extremely colorful locations, Internet-esque physical comedy (TNT sharks), and the "Happy" sequence, but considering the whole point of the franchise is to humanize and make empathetic a super villain, DM2 came out pretty meh.

I frankly can't tell what they're doing for Rio 2 in terms of plot threads though. I figure one is that Blu is going to feel competitive and out of place within Jewel's family, but I was confident the illegal loggers they've mentioned would be the major antagonist. However, Nigel's still alive (somehow) so he has his own plan brewing about, and there's a now-advertised sequence featuring a fight between the Spix Macaws and some Scarlet Macaws. The humans are probably going to have to give Blu and co. a hand, so yeah it's probably in for some franchise fatigue too. Crossing my fingers they didn't get too big-headed about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

What about DreamWorks and Illumination? Because I think How To Train Your Dragon 2 Despicable Me 2 look like more interesting/better executed sequels than this film.

Rio 2 is more meant to be a form of storytelling rather than to be critiqued as a full-length film, I'd say. It's more like an extended cartoon in form, so can't say it wants to be taken seriously like those two films want to be.

It's the sequel Brazil wanted, especially considering the ending of the first Rio pretty much wrapped it up for the series while this one is more of an extended special. It doesn't really add much except more Spix Macaws to say 'they're not the last ones'.

Just saw the movie because I was curious. Eh.

If you saw the first Rio and you're interested in seeing the sequel to that movie, then go ahead and see it, it's harmless. The story is cliché, but then again wasn't the first one like that? It manages to barely distinct itself between other movies with the same premise of the father wanting to please the grandfather, so it doesn't feel like it's the same all the time. Humor isn't that good though, didn't laugh too much except to one song really, and that's it. I will say though, I still love Nico and Pedro just as much as I did in the first movie, loved the relationship between those guys and their comedic style.

That being said if you aren't interested, don't force yourself to go, it's not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

The first Rio was decent. I used to love it during a time I was looking forward to getting a bird (weird, I know), but once I got one (a quaker), I began to see the film for what it was: a nice movie, but nothing great. I'll see the sequel, but only once it's available for rent where I live. I'd kinda like to see how everything goes down.

Meh; I'm not interested. I've seen the last film but I wasn't grabbed by the story or the cliches. If this is more of the same I'm fine just channel surfing for it one day, but I don't feel like spending money on it.

I do love the visuals though, as part of most Blue Sky films the visuals stand out best. But I have a limited budget and don't care enough to invest in just a visual spectacle with an okay story at this time.

I'm sure it will make a killing in the box office for sure though. It's good that a film with such attention to detail and a positive portrayal of foreign countries.