Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed Vs. Sonic Unwiished; Which version do you prefer?

Willsy

The medals were just too out of the way.  They were so rarely presented to you in the way Red Rings are, encouraging you to try and figure out how to get them.  You just had to blindly explore to find any that weren't literally just sitting on the main path.  Also unlike Red Rings, you couldn't guess where to look once you'd found a few because it just told you how many you had, not their placement in the level in terms of order.

There should've been more ways to get them too.  Yeah there's the side missions and secret acts but they have what, 1 or 2 each?  Medals should've been given out for everything - A+ ranks, food collection, NPC request completion, etc.  That way everyone would have a way to progress, rather than only collectaholics being given fun gameplay.

Honestly though there was no need to bar entry to the main story levels.  The extra acts should have been rewards for medal collecting, something to work towards post-game.  Instead all of them are unlocked by the time you beat Jungle Joyride.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't understand the medals complaint, either... I mean, I replayed some of the levels when I got a bit stuck because I enjoyed them... so I've got plenty already. I also bought a shitload of souvenirs for Pickle and got free medals that way.

However I don't like that you have to dart from continent to continent and then back to wherever Professor Pickle is hiding! Especially with Empire City when there isn't much going on there, no temples or bosses... (cool levels, though.. even the Night one. YES! Even the night one!) I don't see why it can't be do a Day level followed by a Night level, or the other way around on one continent, be done with said continent and move onto the next one...

• Thumbs Up 2

I kind of liked the back and forth because for most of the game you can play doing two day levels then two night levels at a time rather than back and forth between play styles every single level, assuming you don't always rush to do the day stage first each time you unlock the next pair or trio of stages.

On the subject of medals, their whole point of existence is to introduce you to the secondary content. You don't just get them in the main stages, but in secondary acts, hub worlds, on quests, and by giving things to Professor Pickle. It's to slow you down from blindly rushing through and skipping a lot of neat shit that's actually there, and if nothing else makes it that much easier to open up a whole bunch of levels at once. If anything, toning down the requirement for later levels and finding a way to explain how you can actually view your upcoming requirements would make things less of an "obstacle." But really, the last two times I've played through the storyline, I've not had to face a pay wall, and I did so in a genuinely enjoyable way of just taking my time and exploring.

• Thumbs Up 4

This is the thing with Unleashed generally though.  You only get fun out of it by knowing what to do.  I too do a bunch of extra stuff and never hit walls on my story playthroughs now, I also blast through the Night stages because I know what to prioritise when levelling up the Werehog (and know to put all exp into Werehog, not day sonic).

Everything about Unleashed that's like "no it's actually good!" requires knowledge from those who've put the time in, when really the game should have done a better job of encouraging such behaviour itself.  For example, not boosting wily-nily - holding down B to grab things instead of pushing it mid-jump, how night levels have more day medals and vice verca.

Still while we're here, I may as well give tips for those wanting to replay the story but make the Werehog levels go by quickly:

- Spend all your rings on chilli dogs for exp between each level

- Use all of your daytime exp on the werehog

- Focus on levelling up Combat (unlocks more combos) and Strength (ups your raw attack power dealt).  Feel free to level up health occasionally if you're unconfident but honestly for simply finishing the story you should have no trouble if you focus on the other two.  Feel free to stop levelling combat as soon as your preferred combos are unlocked.

- Remember you can pause mid-level and go to your stats to level up stuff at any time.

There are lots of levels where you don't need to fight every enemy to progress.  In fact, Dragon Road for example literally only has two caged in fight scenes that must be beaten to continue.

I actually enjoy needing to collect things to progress in a game, but I prefer it when they give a legitimate reason for it (even if it's as simple as "this portal won't work until you get this number of magical dragon eggs, which are important to the plot anyway"). Unfortunately, Unleashed--as far as I know--gives no particular reason for needing these story-irrelevant medals that you need to access certain levels...so when it comes to that, I'll criticize the Sun/Moon medals, but in terms of gameplay alone, I just find the concept inoffensive.

Actually, Prof Pickle will tell you about them in 2 of his Hints: 

Sun and Moon Medals: I recommend you keep an eye out for Sun and Moon medals on your travels. You'll find them strewn about the world. Perhaps you've already seen some. Collect enough, and Chip's Sun and Moon power levels will rise. That will then allow you access to more of the Gaia Gates. Simple, hmm?

Sun and Moon Power: Yes, young Chip seems to have a strange power. Quite baffling, really. Collecting Sun Medals should strengthen his innate Sun Power, while gathering Moon Medals will augment his lunar abilities.

I'm not sure if any other Townsperson talks about Medals at other points in the game though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course the Sun & Moon medals have an "In game" explanation for collecting them "Somewhere"...but obviously their actual purpose is just another way to extend game time since they don't Need to be there. Collecting the medals doesn't make the game fun, they're just a forced collectable.

Is not arbitrary game extension pretty much the only point of a collectible in just about every platformer?

I pefer Sonic Unleashed for the Wii

-it has better grapics

-it has missions i can understand and i can finish

-the werehog stages are amazing

-no annoying button pressing stages

-no force metel hunting

Is not arbitrary game extension pretty much the only point of a collectible in just about every platformer?

A fair point to make, but I think in this instance, it was used in an especially obnoxious and uncharacteristically pace-breaking fashion. Barring Heroes and its use of the Special Stages to unlock the Last Story, Unleashed was the first 3D Sonic game that required the collection of these trinkets just to get through the main game, so it kinda threw most people for a loop, especially with its late-game requirements.

Sonic Unleashed would be the 2nd Sonic game in general and the 1st 3D Sonic game that would require "collectables" for its basic level progression. The Werehog was already enough of a gameplay extension as is, so adding on more was just un-needed, especially since you'll be replaying levels over just so you can progress at all...in a Sonic game?

I enjoy both equally. Unleashed has a better sense of speed, the PS2 version has pretty fun day stage format itself, and for some reason, unlike the HD versions, Unwiished actually has Eggman fighting you in ALL of the day time stages. Weird. Also, I feel that the PS2 version handled the final boss much better than Unleashed.

SO yeah overall, I like/love them both with a bit of edge to the PS2/Wii, granted I wish they could have combined aspects from both the 6th and 7th gen versions together for a superior experience.

The thing I liked about the PS360 final battle more than the WiiS2 one was that after an entire game of speed and moving forward, they make you stop and give you a floating around sort of one.  On PS360 you're always moving forward at speed at every stage of the battle.  I mean the cinematicness helps (which is what made it easy for me personally to swallow all the QTEs).

I dunno, Wii's is just so static and clunky and... blah.  But I guess that's true of every element that both versions share in common.

I totally get why people like the WiiS2 version more, just wasn't for me.  As long as we get a proper final test of the base game skills (which we did in Egg Dragoon for Night gameplay and Sonic's segments of Dark Gaia for Day gameplay) I'm happy for the final boss to go all out on being cinematic focused.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah Sonic Unleashed, the PS2 version was my first 3D Sonic game so I had a lot of nice memories with it.

If I were to choose which version is best, both are roughly the same.

I might be wrong due to not yet play the HD version, regret it entirely I know. ;___;

But what I see in the SD version: Eggmanland is not as long as the HD version, the Werehog levels are much shorter than the SD version, no mandatory medal-collecting and the Dark Gaia boss fight is not as tedious.

But in the negatives, the graphics and hub worlds are not as good, there is too many Werehog levels and the boss fights are not as interesting

In the HD version, the bosses are very enjoyable to play, the Daytime and Nighttime levels look much more interesting to play, the graphics are drop-dead gorgeous and the hub worlds are full of life.

The negatives, the Werehog levels are too long, the Dark Gaia bossfight is way too drawn out, medal collecting, Eggmanland is a fucking marathon level and Werehog has no dropshadow in a few levels 

So at the end, both versions have their flaws but from the looks of it, the HD version is the go-to but play the SD version if you want to have a more easier time.

At the end, both versions are equal in my opinion.

I know some opinions are subjective, but I have no clue how this..

800px-Day_Jungle_Joyride_Wii_9.png

can possibly look better than this.

Junglejoyride.png

Unwiished doesn't look half bad for a Wii title (although Colors really did push the boundaries for how good Sonic games could look on that platform later on), but I can't possibly fathom how it is graphically superior to Unleashed's Hedgehog Engine.

they both look the same on my tv >>

they both look the same on my tv >>

Unless your TV has a problem displaying Sonic Unleashed HD, I still can't possibly see how Unleashed Wii looks superior. Unless you're impressed with Unwiished's graphics for a Wii title more, sure, but it really can't stack up against the Hedgehog engine.

I can make numerous comparisons, but I love how smooth the Werehog HD model looks, especially with the fur texture.

39107_normal.jpg

Whereas the Wii/PS2 model looks a bit more... sloppy, to say the least.

XSsxnpcQRzOl25X6r8LV0KjrzptRvkbB.jpg

Not to mention the HD version makes better use of its lighting, is able to render cutscenes in its own engine, and features better enviroments, like full blown Hub Worlds, which already makes the Wii version's graphics look inferior. Graphics aren't really subjective, you can be impressed with how Unwiished looks, but there's no denying which version is more of a powerhouse, in terms of visual fidelity. 

• Thumbs Up 2

my console can put the HD just fine. i just dont think HD Unleashed is the greatest

You weren't kidding when you said you were really up on those unpopular opinions huh?

my console can put the HD just fine. i just dont think HD Unleashed is the greatest

Ok, and that's cool and all, but there's no denying the Unleashed Hedgehog Engine is much more powerful. Like I said, if you're more impressed with the Wii graphics, then more power to you, but it isn't simply the case that it's factually superior to Unleashed HD.

Unleashed HD is the embodiment of the vision the newly hired Sonic Team developers had for the Sonic franchise after the disaster story that was '06. It had a big budget, lovely (if unoptimised) graphics and insane attention to detail. They wanted to construct a world for the franchise, and they did a decent job of it too. Were it not for some some questionable design decisions, terrible framerate problems and terrible review scores, we may have been able to see more of that beautiful world, but alas....

Unleashed Wii was nothing more than a cash-grab. A secondary version of the game, hashed together to tap into a larger market. Had none of the love and care put into and and in general is a terribly designed game.

Why did people not like Medal hunting. Well one big reason is the fact that it didn't mesh well with half of the gameplay. Sure, searching around in levels is perfectly fine in the Werehog stages, but its a hassle in the fast and frenetic Sonic stages. That and Jungle Joyride day Act 1, had a ridiculous requirement of 120 Sun medals, which is quite a jump. Took me quite a while to get that many, and I imagine it did for a lot of people.

EDIT:

I might sound harsh, but if you're saying that Unleashed Wii looks better than Unleashed HD, you're either lying, or you're ignorant of the reality of the situation. Maybe you can prefer its look, but it definitely doesn't look better. At all. Both are attempting the same visual style and Unleashed HD is simply better at executing that style due to the more horsepower it has at its disposal. That is pretty much an end of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

MMI...honestly thought that Unleashed Wii looked good by third-party Wii game standards. Though I do agree that Sonic Colors looked better.

Though I could see the difference between graphics on...my Mickey Mouse TV. Yes, I have one. No, it's not an HD TV, in case it wasn't obvious. Shut up. I now have a plain ol' HD TV, though.

Still, I see no reason to make fun of preferences. If they prefer the Wii version's graphics, that's fine. Beauty is subjective, after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I might sound harsh, but if you're saying that Unleashed Wii looks better than Unleashed HD, you're either lying, or you're ignorant of the reality of the situation

thats your opinion. im NOT ignorent for liking the Wii better. i dont care what bias you have. its not just the look I like better sense its more simple buts its the whole game. i dont like button mashing and metel collecting and there were more stages to when the other was simple for me to understand. thats just me. At leasr im not saying its fact. so why get mad?