Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed Vs. Sonic Unwiished; Which version do you prefer?

Willsy

This again? Goodie.

No one cares if you like the Wii version better. Like whatever you want. However, you have to be pretty in denial to think that the Wii version has superior graphics. 

sonic-unleashed-oxcgn-21.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

How can you even get this wrong. It's an objective fact that the HD version has more polygons, more draw-distance, more colors, more powerful rendering and lighting applications and overall more processing power than the Wii version. 

• Thumbs Up 9

If it makes you feel better, that attitude from other users made me feel unwelcome in another forum (to where I actually snapped at another user, which a mod had to call me out on), which is why I took refuge here. I'm beginning to question my decision.

Heck, while I do disagree with you on the Wii version's graphics, I think they still look pretty good for the system.

Heck, you're free to prefer the Wii version's graphics if you wish.

• Thumbs Up 1

If it makes you feel better, that attitude from other users made me feel unwelcome in another forum (to where I actually snapped at another user, which a mod had to call me out on), which is why I took refuge here. I'm beginning to question my decision.

Heck, while I do disagree with you on the Wii version's graphics, I think they still look pretty good for the system.

Heck, you're free to prefer the Wii version's graphics if you wish.

i only say it suck to that they can stop. i really didnt like the tone they use but cant complain. (and no im not trying to be a "inocent") i love this game its a perfect Sonic game to me but i dont like it on the Xbox360. the only think i like better then the wii one was eggmanland.

i only say it suck to that they can stop. i really didnt like the tone they use but cant complain. (and no im not trying to be a "inocent") i love this game its a perfect Sonic game to me but i dont like it on the Xbox360. the only think i like better then the wii one was eggmanland.

You're antagonizing us yet again, for the umpteenth time. It's getting kind of aggravating.

No one is telling you to dislike the Wii version's graphics. I'm just baffled as to why you're being stubborn and making a big deal out of this, and we're simply comparing and proving why Unleashed HD looks far superior.

Again, you don't have to dislike the Wii version in any way, shape, or form. No one is forcing you. Just please quit victimizing yourself and treating us like bullies, when we are simply trying to explain something to you.

• Thumbs Up 6

I may have been needlessly harsh with my tone, Nepenthe, but I seriously disagree with you that I, or anyone else here, are in the wrong for pointing this out. There is an absolute clear difference in graphical fidelity between the two versions and to deny such a difference borders along the line of misrepresentation and, dare I say, denial. Whether it's intended or not.

This also is not the first time this "opinion vs fact" controversy has been brought up before with this particular member, and by this time many of us have become fed up with it. I'll take responsibility and apologize for using harsh language and tone, but I believe strongly that my point still stands. I would elaborate further and possibly drag this on longer, but I have plans today that will carry through to the end of the day, so I really, really don't want to dig this issue deeper than it needs to be and micromanage another controversial debate. Quite frankly, it'd be easier to just not talk about it at all, but I feel particularly obligated this time to at least put up a defense.

As you've pointed out, no one has ever told her to like something over another thing (and if they have, shame on them, a number of our members like the more unpopular games in the series), regardless of objective quality - but I want to emphasize denying objective truth is not something we've ever let slip by without constructive criticism or scrutinization, so I don't know why it's to be exempt here and now. If it's the tone, I understand. But for any other reason, I don't buy it. 

At any rate, the primary focus of the topic are the differences between these two versions, so it might be best if we drop this and move forward in the discussion. I certainly don't want either side to feel any worse than we already do.

- - -

One aspect of Sonic Unwiished that has intrigued me, but I've never owned it - only demoed it - so I couldn't play it in-depth for myself, is the boost system for the daytime stages. The HD version activates the boost at an immediate button press and lasts as long as you hold it down. But from what I recall, the Wii version keeps boosting for a set period of time after you've pressed the button.

How does that work in relation to the level design? I noticed that a lot of the tracks in the Wii version are pretty linear, so I assume there's a relation? There isn't a lot of platforming outside of homing attack chains in the daytime stages for either version, but after looking at more footage the Wii version seems even more linear than I remembered it.

Because of the binary nature of its boost mechanic, you can't stop whenever you want, so platforming would be difficult. Do you guys see this as a flaw, or since it works together with the straightforward level design, is it not really a problem to begin with? I personally think it's a little too different from the mechanic of the HD version, though it certainly keeps the main idea of Sonic Unleashed as a whole intact. I'm just not sure if I'd prefer it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Here're more polished screenshots of the Wii/PS2 version

2_zpsa84fe46e.png

1_zps26ce5533.png

4_zps48a7689b.png

5_zps8badfdac.png

6_zps9f4c0fa3.png

7_zps5133feca.png

8_zps639fd112.png

Compared to the previouse generation of games (Adventure, Heroes etc) it IS an impressive graphic..

• Thumbs Up 1

If it's the tone, I understand.

It was the tone. That's what my main point of contention was- not the fact that you initiated a debate in the first place, as if I would ever take issue with that- so I don't know why you're explaining anything else. People can get so caught up in pointing out "truth" to anyone who spouts an opinion or statement you don't like or in a way you don't like that you eventually start writing insulting and judgmental shit in the midst of it- almost as if you expect people to take some licks as you enlighten them.

And while it's true that you never directly "tell" anyone they can't like something, the implicit social consequence of stating anything the majority deems is in dire need of correction is that the likelihood that you're going to call them liars, ignorant, in denial, and other insults on top of it approaches one, which in turn makes people change their opinion (or rather shut up) not out of mutual understanding but out of the spite and frustration that comes with being dogpiled. It's textbook ad hominem; rule-breaking ad hominem, at that. And yes, people do get bitter towards their preferences as a result. It's happened to me before. I don't talk about the shit I do like most of the time because it's happened to me. My last straw was when another member expressed victimization towards himself, as if no one had said anything remotely insulting towards her and she just snapped out of nowhere like a fucking rabid pit bull or something. Did none of you even realize what was going on?

At this point, I honestly don't give a flying fuck about the point you or anyone else I quoted were making about the games, nor do I care about you trying to guide the topic along after getting the last word in a backseat modding attempt. Both are secondary to the intention of my post- that being to point out the problem and to tell you to stop it-- e.g. "get over yourselves"-- and my diatribe about opinions being nothing more than a way to further exemplify just how far I felt you guys were so far up your own asses last night. Keep in mind not to do that shit again, at least in my presence such as in an Unleashed topic of all things.

Again, I apologize for my harsh tone - and now I also apologize for backseat modding; I didn't realize I had taken it that far. My intention was to defend myself and move on, as I didn't think any of us wanted to dwell on the issue any longer. I mean, that's what my intention was. Clearly I messed up. Again, apologies.

But yes, Unleashed talk. I might get my hands on the Wii version to try it out more in-depth.

Here're more polished screenshots of the Wii/PS2 version

2_zpsa84fe46e.png

1_zps26ce5533.png

4_zps48a7689b.png

5_zps8badfdac.png

6_zps9f4c0fa3.png

7_zps5133feca.png

8_zps639fd112.png

Compared to the previouse generation of games (Adventure, Heroes etc) it IS an impressive graphic..

What the heck I don't 'remember the Wii version looking thus good; then again I didn't have composite cables or even a need to use them.

Edit: I just played the game on a 1080p display w/Wii component cables. Pixels and jaggies everywhere. That screenshot was probably upscaled in dolphin.

• Thumbs Up 1

But yes, Unleashed talk. I might get my hands on the Wii version to try it out more in-depth.

Have you actually not played/completed it? It's level design is better in some cases.

I've tried it out, but I don't own it. I didn't like what I played, though.

Each version has significant problems that contribute to both sides.

The WiiS2 version has worse graphics and way too many werehog stages, but the werehog's gameplay in and of itself is better executed (no quicktime events here!) and also a bit faster. The HD version looks gorgeous, but Sonic is more slippery than in the Wii version, or Sonic Colors/Generations. He also has his homing attack on the X button, what's up with that? The Werehog also is missing a drop shadow is a lot of places for some reason in the HD version, and finding medals is monotonous and boring and I'm glad the other version doesn't have it.

In short, neither version is good enough for a significant better to need deciding on. Play the Unleashed project or just go play Colors or Generations.

The WiiS2 version has worse graphics and way too many werehog stages, but the werehog's gameplay in and of itself is better executed (no quicktime events here!) and also a bit faster. The HD version looks gorgeous, but Sonic is more slippery than in the Wii version, or Sonic Colors/Generations. He also has his homing attack on the X button, what's up with that? The Werehog also is missing a drop shadow is a lot of places for some reason in the HD version, and finding medals is monotonous and boring and I'm glad the other version doesn't have it.

In short, neither version is good enough for a significant better to need deciding on. Play the Unleashed project or just go play Colors or Generations.

It did work if being unorthodox.

Again, I'd rather not play what is essentially a stripped-down version of Sonic Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah, Shadic; the topic is still Unleashed vs. Unwiished, and still not Unleashed vs. Unwiished vs. Unleashed Project vs. Colours vs. Generations.

Now that I have the HD version of Sonic Unleashed on my PlayStation 3, I feel that I can now properly give my opinions of both versions of the game. 

First, Unwiished (which I had on my PS2). When I first played it through about six or so months ago, I thought it was pretty good. The werehog wasn't unbearable, the day levels were fun and the story was great. It wasn't perfect, but it was a fun game and I looked forward to replaying it. 

Fast forward to about a week ago, and I was doing just that. I was having a fairly good time, but its flaws were more obvious to me on this second run. After seeing some of Cobanermani 456's LP on the HD version, and reading a bit more about it, I started to lament that I didn't have it. A couple days later, and suddenly there was a topic asking people their opinions on the two versions. I go to it, and what I see is post after post of this: Unleashed =smile.png , Unwiished =angry.png . I decided I had to have the HD version as soon as possible, and just yesterday, I traded in some games at my local mall and found Unleashed there for the PS3. I bought it, went home and popped it in. I was prepared and expecting to see greatness and... 

I love it. I'm obviously not finished with it yet, but it is probably the best Sonic experience I've ever had already! Literally the only flaw I can see is that there are some noticeable framerate issues. That's it. Everything else about this game is just so perfect; the world is beautiful and obviously had a lot of care put into it, the controls are much better, there's actual platforming in the day levels, the hub worlds are fun and full of likeable characters, all the levels are much better designed and the werehog is not only bearable, it's actually, genuinely fun

I regret not getting this game sooner (I got the PS2 version because my PS3 controller was functionally broken, so it was a choice between getting the definitive version or one I could play), and I honestly don't see myself going back to the PS2 version. Since I played it first, I can never truly hate Unwiished, but, compared to the real Unleashed, it really is crap.

It did work if being unorthodox.

NyehhhIdunno...

Again, I'd rather not play what is essentially a stripped-down version of Sonic Unleashed.

Again, if they're stripping off the worse aspects of it, why does it matter?

Yeah, Shadic; the topic is still Unleashed vs. Unwiished, and still not Unleashed vs. Unwiished vs. Unleashed Project vs. Colours vs. Generations.

And the majority of my post was dedicated to that.

Honestly, my only problem with how Unleashed Wii looked was Sonic's model. It always looked kind of off to me, almost..."Heroes plastic-y", but in the shape of Sonic's current design. Aside from that I thought the game looked pretty decent, especially for a non-first party Wii game.

Again, if they're stripping off the worse aspects of it, why does it matter?

Are the cutscenes, story and hubs the worst aspects of the game? IMO they improve the game as a whole package.

• Thumbs Up 3

And the majority of my post was dedicated to that.

That doesn't mean you get to throw in the other games at the end. This isn't here to determine the best version of Unleashed or even the best boost game. It's for discussing which of the two versions of Unleashed we were sold is better. And besides, that X button comment is pretty petty, considering you can get over it by the end of the tutorial.

• Thumbs Up 1

the werehog gameplay didn't have QTE's except for the boss fights in the HD version and only if you decided to use the instant kill attacks on enemies.

(and i'd rather play the original unleashed thank you very much :P)

Are the cutscenes, story and hubs the worst aspects of the game? IMO they improve the game as a whole package.

In my opinion, they are worse. I just want to play the game, the extra stuff doesn't matter, because this is Sonic the hedgehog!

And besides, that X button comment is pretty petty, considering you can get over it by the end of the tutorial.

When it's been on the jump button and is in every other game? No.

the werehog gameplay didn't have QTE's except for the boss fights in the HD version and only if you decided to use the instant kill attacks on enemies.

(and i'd rather play the original unleashed thank you very much tongue.png)

Yes, but considering Sonic as a whole is centered around speed, I think it'd be best to use the fastest way to kill an enemy to get to the actually fast parts of the game, and if that's QTE-related, I don't have much fun with it.