Awoo.

Unconfirmed: Sonic to get a new Sidekick, to be created by fans

Badnik Mechanic

Can I be the first one to say that I found very interesting the idea of an app where a character runs around real life streets, especially if it's Sonic biggrin.png Despite the very crap new sidekick thing, I would like to play some Sonic New York Adventure or Sonic Rio de Janeiro Adventure haha

• Thumbs Up 4

There is one thing which suggested to me Sega are serious about this.

The logo. The logo is shockingly similar (the font and size/layout of it) to the SOS and Sonic Boom logos, both of which were made internally at Sega. So this guy/agency would not have made that for the pitch.

Also I suspect this will be a mobile game as opposed to console... at least if Sega has some sense it will, just because it means they'll have to make a game around an unknown character as opposed to a good story which needs a character of a certain type.

P.S.

Hope Sonichu gets in.

Sonichu

aGekb51.jpg

So then... SSMB mascot entry anyone?

Uh.......... How that would fit into a Sonic game, I DON'T KNOW. Who cares, that would be awesome. Someone here should totally do that.

Ummm, are we sure this is not just a concept for a campaign then a completely sure thing. Companies do this all the time, an example will be the Sonic Adventure Burger King promotion that didn't happened. Maybe he just put it to be part of his portfolio.

No, we don't know if this is a sure thing they're actually going to use or not yet. That's why I used a question as the title in my report. I guess we'll find out soon enough if SEGA takes action or comments on it.

Please tell me that those animal designs are placeholder because holy God if we get anything that looks like that in the next Soni--BFFTHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ac1c98b27f3471de5727ceaf3bc9cc43.png

Why? Why though?! LOL

Like seriously Sega what even is this. What are you doing. Stop drinking the gasoline, it's not good for you. Put that down. Last time you did that you put a "Z" in front of the word "yeti". Pull yourself together.

But no really, it looks like a neat little marketing campaign, if not really just a weird idea. Is this for the next SegaSonic game, the Boom subfranchise, just mobile titles or.. what, even? Just as long as they don't end up looking like these templates in the end I (might) be fine.

• Thumbs Up 7

Can I be the first one to say that, despite the very crap idea of a new sidekick, I found very interesting an app where a character runs around real life streets, especially if it's Sonic biggrin.png I would like to play some Sonic New York Adventure or Sonic Rio de Janeiro Adventure haha

How about a run around Tokyo or your NEIGHBORHOOD! Now that's awesome.

So urm... does anyone want to name moustache monkey and naked raccoon? 

Uh.......... How that would fit into a Sonic game, I DON'T KNOW. Who cares, that would be awesome. Someone here should totally do that.

If someone buys me a device compatible with this app... Merch Kitty is going in...

It's a cute marketing campaign. Tons of other's have run competitions in a similar vein to this, I'm not sure it's as groundbreaking or whatnot as is being implied but it seems like a fun new thing for the board to talk about.

Also

This may be the funniest statement I have ever read on these forums in my 6+ years of being here. Congrats

i agree

its not like you have to draw a fancharacter and they get put in the games. its like a pony bulilder thingy on deviant art. you worl to what they give you.

its not bad at all. i dont understand why its hated other then "fancharacters!!1"

So urm... does anyone want to name moustache monkey and naked raccoon? 

If someone buys me a device compatible with this app... Merch Kitty is going in...

wait, you DON'T have a iphone or an android?

Sega what are you thinking!?

OK, taking a step back a little bi- You know that's a real nice title you got there. "The Search for Sonic's Sidekick"

Hey Sega! Remember THESE guys?

13765072865.jpg

OK, to stop yelling for a second, I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic about this. I highly doubt this is a push for another new main character that'll be a major character in the next game, mainly due to the fact that they're using, of all things, a character creation app, and the fact that, well, they're letting a FAN create it.

This might just be a hint about the next game's gimmick, which my guess would be a focus on having a large roster of playable characters and an added character creation mode similar to something like Soul Calibur. This competition might just be to have the winner's character be some bonus character that's part of the regular roster to promote the creation aspect.

• Thumbs Up 7

wait, you DON'T have a iphone or an android?

I have an ipod touch which is so old barely any modern apps run on it.

And a mobile phone which has a wonky antenna. 

My electricity is delivered to me by a man with a bucket.

Does that answer your question?

I'm actually not feeling too worried about this... at least not yet. This new character could simply end up appearing in a side/mobile game or act as a minor NPC in whatever game. I just can't see Sonic Team inserting a fanmade character into the main cast, especially when they've been so uptight about including existing ones (even if Knuckles and Amy have managed to sneak back in).

• Thumbs Up 1

SEGA is focused on Sonic Boom this year so I doubt that we will hear anything about this sidekick thing and what it means. So in the meantime I'm not going to freak out until SEGA announce it like always.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not too worried about this yet. I'm going to wait until some more info shows up, but for now I currently do not think they are going to make Tails kick the bucket. I mean, Sega has made questionable decisions in the past, but I believe their smarter than that. If anything, like the main page said, this could be just like Chip in Unleashed.

Also, I seriously hope those character models get 'Sonicfied.' 

You guys do know that this whole thing could just be a hoax? If it is a hoax I'm going to laugh.

How can this possibly be a hoax? 

Hogfather I think you're literally the only person who thinks this is a big deal tbh

Erm... Ok. Thanks? 

*looks around* 

Going by popular (not offensive) names and Yahoo answers. I declare the new character to be called.

Francesco the Monkey and Meeko the Raccoon.

​Those were literally the first names to pop up when I searched for "Italian names" and "good male raccoon names".

I'm going to wait until some more info shows up, but for now I currently do not think they are going to make Tails kick the bucket. I mean, Sega has made questionable decisions in the past, but I believe their smarter than that.

No, they'll be doing the exact same thing they've been doing to the series for the last decade.

Alternate playable characters are suddenly getting a bad rep? Get rid of 'em!

Deeper stories are now receiving negative feedback? Throw them out the window!

Tails is now hated due to being a jerk? Give him the boot!

SEGA will just be doing what SEGA does best.