Awoo.

Unconfirmed: Sonic to get a new Sidekick, to be created by fans

Badnik Mechanic

How can this possibly be a hoax?

Notice that the first image on the first page has a Sega logo with Classic Sonic before the Google Street view logo.

Don't know why Classic Sonic's there. Maybe a homage.

Then again, that logo looks very official. By the way, I say Hoax because SEGA has yet to say anything about this.

Kahahahahahahaahahaaa... Sean.. 

oh my god..

Yes because your reaction earlier.

What the fuck is this.

No, what the FUCK is this?

So done SEGA.

So fucking done now.

Is sooooo much better....

Notice that the first image on the first page has a Sega logo with Classic Sonic before the Google Street view logo.

Don't know why Classic Sonic's there. Maybe a homage.

Well, this website is effectively this guys portfolio, he will be using it to try and get employment on projects. He wouldn't lie about stuff he'd worked on or contributed too otherwise he'd never get employed. But yeah I did find that classic Sonic thing a bit odd.

• Thumbs Up 2

Um you guys, look like this might have been sunk real quick

1. SEGAbits@SEGAbits19m
  2. It should be noted that the Sonic competition could be a proposal that SEGA passed on. Note that the iPhone used in the images is a model 4.

.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sorry, never linked twitter before https://twitter.com/SEGAbits

No, they'll be doing the exact same thing they've been doing to the series for the last decade.

Alternate playable characters are suddenly getting a bad rep? Get rid of 'em!

Deeper stories are now receiving negative feedback? Throw them out the window!

Tails is now hated due to being a jerk? Give him the boot!

SEGA will just be doing what SEGA does best.

If SEGA is just doing what SEGA does best then Sonic Boom wouldn't exist which has alternate playable characters, deeper story and Tails. I know BRB is the developers but SEGA the ones who pitched the idea to them and they're still in charge of everything. Also it's more like 6 or 7 years (starting from Secret Rings/Unleashed) then a decade.

It's funny how people are so quick to be very pessimistic and assume the worse with little information. I highly doubt they'll get rid of Tails. If this is real then it'll probably be another one shot sidekick like Chip.

I'm actually very curious to see how this would go down.

It seems rather similar to that Pokemon Google Maps minigame during April Fools but having a bigger impact.

I'm pretty sure this supposed "new sidekick" would be no different like Yacker, Chip or Shahra. 

You guys sure like to focus on them negatives.

Overall, let's see how this would go down. Color me optimistic.

• Thumbs Up 2

We already mentioned in our report that the domain is currently for sale and that a Whois check doesn't show any ownership by SEGA. It's possible that they could be in the process of buying it or buying it later, or as SEGAbits mentioned, it could simply be a proposal they passed on. That's why I put a question in the title, because we can't tell for definite what's going on.

Lmaooo

He mad.

I'm mad.

We ALL mad!

Ok Soniko, I think that's enough

So, it's safe to say that it could all be just a concept, right? Well, knowing SEGA, they will obviously accept and buy the thing xD

lool

Whatever, Tails has been reduced to a worthless piece of shit since Shadow, some Ow the edge with boobs and Goku bangs the hedgehog from Deviantart won't be any worse.

• Thumbs Up 4

We already mentioned in our report that the domain is currently for sale and that a Whois check doesn't show any ownership by SEGA. It's possible that they could be in the process of buying it or buying it later, or as SEGAbits mentioned, it could simply be a proposal they passed on. That's why I put a question in the title, because we can't tell for definite what's going on.

Well if it might not be anything I don't understand why it was and is still being hyped up like a big franchise changing thing in the first place.

Plus it might be a good idea to add a question mark or something to the thread title so people don't get confused.

Hmmm something else I've noticed which is a little odd.

Sonics-Sidekick-3.jpg

Check out the image of the 'game.' Notice how it has a youtube player bar under it? That's a much older youtube player bar than the one which is currently used. 

I'm not sure if that player bar is used on apple/android devices. But it's not used in Chrome or I.E. and I whilst I remember using that player on a browser, I've not seen it for a long time.

Might actually have been a pitched or a scrapped plan for the year of Sonic.

It sure looks like a scrapped idea to me. But why is it surfacing now, of all times?

Still, I hope if this does turn out to be a thing in the future (which I don't think is likely) that they won't just scrap Tails. He's been with Sonic so long- they're best friends! I'd be okay with another character like Chip though...

• Thumbs Up 1

>.>

<.<

I'm trying really hard to care, but I can't seem to manage it. Why is this a big deal again? 

• Thumbs Up 4

>.>

<.<

I'm trying really hard to care, but I can't seem to manage it. Why is this a big deal again? 

Because it's kindled frets about Tails being permanently replaced by a generic furry.

It sure looks like a scrapped idea to me. But why is it surfacing now, of all times?

Still, I hope if this does turn out to be a thing in the future (which I don't think is likely) that they won't just scrap Tails. He's been with Sonic so long- they're best friends! I'd be okay with another character like Chip though...

Google says it was archived April 17th 2014. That's why I thought it might be something in the works now.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't care if this is real or not, I just came here for the inevitable "WHAT ABOUT TAILS?" comments.

...I was not disappointed.

Though, the first thing that popped into my mind was "so, we're going to design another Chip, then"? It seemed similar enough, being that chip was a one-off sidekick himself.

• Thumbs Up 2

Because it's kindled frets about Tails being permanently replaced by a generic furry.

You mean like Caliburn, Shahra, Chip and the like :\

• Thumbs Up 2

NEW PLOT DETAILS RELEASED: Tails killed at the end of Sonic Adventure 3, Sonic forced to find a new sidekick afterwards.

In all seriousness, I think this is totally fake. It seems waaay to stupid to be true, not to mention problematic. What if hundreds of people end of voting for Sonic's new sidekick to be a sentient bag of yogurt? It just seems way to bad an idea on Sega's part to be legit, and that's not even addressing that the characters shown look absolutely nothing like the style Sonic characters are created as.

What if hundreds of people end of voting for Sonic's new sidekick to be a sentient bag of yogurt?

I would buy 15 copies of that game. Yoplait the Yogurt would be the best Sonic character ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest it sounds more phony / improbable as a concept whenever you remember how jumpy Google Maps is in loading and showing photos of environments. You'd almost literally be looking at pictures jumping every second or two.

Unless they learned how to make it move smoothly, I have no idea how this would work. It makes it seem even more like an idea that was good on paper but wasn't thought about hard enough or elaborated upon to the point where they'd think about that.

It all just seems like either this guy's weird idea of a Sonic marketing campaign used for his portfolio, or an idea Sega passed up on. If it was to be true though, I don't know if I'd be more surprised at this being something that went through Sega's minds and accepted or at them managing to get Google Maps to move that fluidly.