Awoo.

Does anyone else feel like Sonic fans are the butt of fandom jokes?

Adorkable

Hi! ^^

So, don't hate on me, but from the places I've been on the web, it seems that the Sonic fans are the butt of fandom jokes, know what I mean?

I know it sounds kind of mean, but I'm just asking what you guys think?

I've heard things like "I also think she misunderstands the fanbase. We're NOT the Sonic fanbase here."

(Not going to source this direct quote, sorry! ^^")

At the time, I thought it was kind of funny, until I realized I was categorized under this fandom. Not specifically the part that complains about everything, but just a Sonic fan in general, maybe even to an extreme. 

So, here's where I ask you guys, does anyone else feel like this?

Has the Sonic fandom gained such a bad rep that we're nothing but jokes now?

It's kind of bothers me.

Discussion time! ^^

To be honest, these days I've seen more jokes taking jabs at My Little Pony, Homestuck and many other fandoms. Actually, I've seen more people making fun of a bunch of fanbases, usually the really big and active ones. 

To be honest, I've come to the conclusion that all fandoms are made fun of here and there. Whether or not one is more of a joke than the other is up for debate, but I've seen hate towards pretty much every fandom I've lurked in.

To be honest, these days I've seen more jokes taking jabs at My Little Pony, Homestuck and many other fandoms. Actually, I've seen more people making fun of a bunch of fanbases, usually the really big and active ones. 

To be honest, I've come to the conclusion that all fandoms are made fun of here and there. Whether or not one is more of a joke than the other is up for debate, but I've seen hate towards pretty much every fandom I've lurked in.

Do all of them come from "BIG MACHO STEREOTYPICALLY MASCULINE FOOTBALL/ULTRA MANLY SPORTS" people, or is it from other fandoms trying to make themselves look better?

• Thumbs Up 1

More often than not it's people that don't really care and just want to stir the pot. It's just a sad truth about the internet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do all of them come from "BIG MACHO STEREOTYPICALLY MASCULINE FOOTBALL/ULTRA MANLY SPORTS" people, or is it from other fandoms trying to make themselves look better?

It's a little hard to tell, but it wouldn't surprise me if it came from both camps. I've met and seen people who were pretty open minded when it comes to entertainment, but are just sick of the how hyped the show is and the "ponifying" that comes from the fans.

You guys keep saying Sonic 2006, I think we're forgetting something.

1383669921912.jpg

But yeah, if it's not the faltering quality of the games (we've been getting better lately though!), it's probably the fanbase with its notorious fan-characters I keep hearing complaints about. Either way, I've learned to tune that stuff out.

It's a franchise directed to kids, so it's natural that they'll go nuts over stuff like that. Any kind of franchise with that kind of install base has the same thing. There's a whole bunch of made up "original" Pokemon that 7 year olds draw and upload them to deviant art or whatever, I think it's rather unfair that people choose that of all things to single out the Sonic fanbase since others do that just as much.

Hell, I made some pretty stupid stuff in the past like that when I was a kid too so I'm not here to judge at all.

It really sucks though because I can easily say SSMB is one of, if not, the most civil and enjoyable part of the Sonic fanbase I've had the pleasure of joining, but unfortunately most people don't believe me because the reputation from other places has done so much damage and refuse to give it even a look.

It really sucks to be a Sonic fan sometimes because of the whole stigma behind it. I try not to let it but it does get to me at times, but I do think things will get better though. Despite those that might've left, keep in mind that more and more fans have been growing up with the Hedgehog and over the years I've seen some amazing talent come

I'll always do my best to positively contribute too as a close fan since 2002 and still going strong.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're not a member of a fandom, you probably don't know it that well.  With that said, I haven't heard so many jabs against the Sonic fanbase, just against the series.  The only thing everyone knows about is the whole fancharacter thing, but that's inevitable in any kid-oriented franchise, heck, any franchise at all with imitation-friendly characters.  (See also: My Little Pony, Hamsteak, Dangan Rumpus, etc.)

You also have to bear in mind that SSMB seems to have higher-quality posting than the Sega forums, partly due to having a narrower clientele.  Honestly, in my experience the Zelda fanbase is way worse, to the extent that "the Zelda cycle" was actually officially acknowledged, which the Sonic cycle never has been!

• Thumbs Up 1

In some ways, yes I feel we are... the amount of times my partner has shown me some joke on Something Awful or whatever...

On the other hand, fuck 'em. It's not going to stop me playing the games, reading STCO/Archie etc...

• Thumbs Up 1

Thinking back, it was games such as Shadow that started the mocking with 06 and Unleashed pretty much having full force with people turning away from the series (e.g. personally avoided Shadow and 06, went to Unleashed HD much later after Colours and Generations to see what the game is like) even though the seeds were already there for Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes due to their slightly buggy nature of the games and some people not liking the expanded cast.

There are fanbases where they have fancharacters that are pretty much recolours of the main characters (Sailor Moon, Mario series are ones that I can think of) but they get shrugged since they are humans/human like or the human characters get attention as well as the animals in those series, some like Pokemon also attract female errr... that sort of artwork that some anime series also have (yes, even the likes of Kill la Kill have that sort of artwork). With the Sonic series, the only famous human like person in the series is Dr. Eggman despite the various other humans such as Maria Robotnik, Professor Gerald, Eggman Nega, Professor Pickle and the others from Unleashed or in spinoff material Chris Thorndike and co so much of the attention are the anthromorphic animals. So this gets the attract towards the furries who themselves get flack and people think all furries are the extreme ones even though it isn't true like anything. Even then there are furries who don't like the Sonic series at all.

Some of the bad press regarding Sonic and co are from teenagers/older generation who think the Sonic series isn't mature enough (probably the reason why Shadow was made) compared to what they like due to being a kids series or people who joke about things for the sake of joking that the Sonic series just happens to be part of that catergory. Then again some people say it since it is "the cool thing" to say to the point of saying the original games are rubbish.

I don't think it has been as mocked as much as in the past with Lost World getting some of the bad attention again, it has been more My Little Pony for the past couple of years that is getting the bad attention due to some of its extreme fans/bronies.

Also doesn't help that the fanbase is fragmented with some liking the classics only, some liking the Adventure era games, some like the modern games, some like all of them or only like SatAM. Even with Sonic Boom will causes a split between the Boom fans and the Sonic Team fans like the game fans and the Archie/SatAM fans.

All it really needs are some more quality games that are received not just for Sonic fans but also for the mainstream (outside of the fanbase like Colours and Generations of the modern games) and the likes of Shadow and 06 will get more forgotten over time. Then again anthromorphic animals are getting less popular with cartoons focusing more on superheroes or adventure feeling, games are more focused on a more "mature" generation with FPS/Open World/TPS being popular even platformers such Mario/Donkey Kong and perhaps Rayman getting more harder to get attention despite the quality of the games. Characters such as Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse are getting harder to keep relevant with some of the younger generation might not know who they are. It might take years before Sonic gets popular outside of the target audience (the fanbase/younger 5-8 year old generation).

• Thumbs Up 2

The series has had over half a decade of games that have ranged from average to mediocre, our fans are some of the most vocal in existence, and the Internet seems to have it out for furries.

So no, I don't feel that way :V

Well I'd hope the fans are the butt of fandom jokes, or else they aren't very good fandom jokes :U

Sonic faans aren't special snowflakes with this shit. Naruto, Hetalia, Bleach, SAO, Supernatural, every fandom that is obnoxious gets shit on by people.

• Thumbs Up 6

If you're not a member of a fandom, you probably don't know it that well.  With that said, I haven't heard so many jabs against the Sonic fanbase, just against the series.  The only thing everyone knows about is the whole fancharacter thing, but that's inevitable in any kid-oriented franchise, heck, any franchise at all with imitation-friendly characters.  (See also: My Little Pony, Hamsteak, Dangan Rumpus, etc.)

You also have to bear in mind that SSMB seems to have higher-quality posting than the Sega forums, partly due to having a narrower clientele.  Honestly, in my experience the Zelda fanbase is way worse, to the extent that "the Zelda cycle" was actually officially acknowledged, which the Sonic cycle never has been!

How is the zelda fanbase worse?

So much whinging.

You mean whining? About what? I though typically they loved every game(ok well except skyward sword which everyone but me hates)

You mean whining? About what? I though typically they loved every game(ok well except skyward sword which everyone but me hates)

Edit:

I just looked up whinging. My bad. Though they seem to mean the same thing. 

Considering how any minor change of things in the series gets met with an uproar of complaints, the amount of infighting that goes on, and the quality of the games, is it really that much of a wonder whether we're the butt of jokes? Not that all of them are warranted or true, but when you see the behavior of the fandom, it's not exactly the best. Really, we do the same thing to each other, so it's not surprising some other out-group will start poking at us as well.

But this self-victimization isn't getting us anywhere by the simple fact that we're not the only ones being made fun of, as said before. It's the internet, there's always going to be some jackass who wants to stir shit up for laughs.

I wasn't aware that it was really because of the Sonic games per say, but because for the most part we're all kinda insane :U.

Like the more power to people who want to express what they love and whatnot, but a majority of folks will look at the Original the Characters, Fanfics, Youtube Rants, Sonadows, and the like and point a finger and laugh. Like others have said, same for most things that rub the norm, like dudes liking ponies, massive love for Homestuck (or anything really, if it's big enough, the naysayers will come), etc.

And to be honest, making fun of Sonic kinda, well, yeah, died a few years ago. People still do of course, but it's becoming a tiresome and old joke when there are new things coming out, on the games' front they haven't really been too out of left field on ideas and reception hasn't been in the dumps, and I don't see that big of an influx in sonic fan shits anymore. Of course there's still thousands around the internet, but it doesn't seem to be as widespread as it was in the mid 00's and before then.

Best you can do is shrug off the peeps or laugh along with him, 'cause at the end of the day it really is just a lanky ass blue rodent running super fast with a 90's attitude. Throw in the lawlsy cast and it's hard not to make a joke or two about them every now and then lmao.

• Thumbs Up 4

Best you can do is shrug off the peeps or laugh along with him

Which is, unfortunately, easier said than done for some people.

Though it's telling that SSMB civility compared to other fan forums can surprise some people out there, there's there's a ray of light to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

i think people like to think Sonic fandome is really horrible. its really funny how we are the ones known for crappy games fanfictions shipping and recolors when other fandoms have that to.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Taking the liberty of moving this to the Sonic Discussion forum . ^.~  All Sonic topics should be there, for future reference.

Honestly, Sonic fans aren't even made fun of that much anymore. I've been a Sonic fan most of my life, but I never took part online (in forums or on Sonic related websites) until last year. Up until that point, I never even knew that Sonic fans were notorious for "being whiny and unpleasible manchildren". It seems that people within the fanbase talk more smack about the fanbase as a whole than people outside the fanbase, who seem to hate MLP and the bronies far more.

To be honest, there's worse fandoms...

but not many. I think the main point is realizing that whether or not we have crap in our fanbase for one reason or another, it's the process of not becoming that crap ourselves that matters.