Awoo.

Sony Registers Bioshock Film Domains

Tani Coyote

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/sony-registers-domain-names-for-a-potential-bioshock-movie

A Bioshock film had been planned before but was axed, presumably due to disagreements on the creative team over whether to aim for an 18+ or younger demographic film. Now however, it looks like interest has been renewed!

What makes this notable is that all registered domains have "movie" in the URL; this indicates they are clearly meant for a film rather than a new game in development. The domains were registered about a month ago.

Do you think the film will take a note from the original two games, or Infinite? I'm inclined towards the first two simply because Infinite makes more sense when the first two are taken into consideration.

All I know is... Sony is clearly looking to make itself the next Disney whatever angle they take. With confirmed Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, Last of Us, and Gran Turismo films, and speculative Sonic the Hedgehog and BioShock films... can anyone stop the Sony Empire?!

The original was!

But with these new domains having been registered recently... it looks like interest has been renewed.

Understandable, given Sony is clearly interested in becoming the Disney of gaming films. I think the only reason no Nintendo films are being made by them at this point is Nintendo's extreme protectiveness of their brand.

From the perspective of a movie-fan, I really hope this doesn't go through.

What BioShock has to say is something that needs the context of a video game and gaming history. You lose that interactivity, you lose the interplay of story and game, and you lose a good piece of what makes BioShock what it is. This would be like what they did by putting Watchmen up on the big screen. You still have a good story, certainly, but you lose the very thing that elevates the work beyond that. It's destined to be the inferior work from outset.

Understand that I say this as someone who absolutely loves film, and loves to see a good pragmatic adaptation. There is nothing to be gained by this venture other than ticket sales. This serves no purpose.

• Thumbs Up 5

Why are Sony making so many videogame films? They're going to make an already 'meh' film genre worse.

Why are Sony making so many videogame films? They're going to make an already 'meh' film genre worse.

Who knows.

I am optimistic they can help redeem the genre, though. The fact they're going the pure CGI route with a lot of them is a HUGE improvement over most video game flicks, who tried to up their "cool" factor by going for live action with CGI mixed in and tended to fall flat on their face.

Can CGI work with live action to produce a great movie? Absolutely. Avatar, Harry Potter, etc. Does that mean you should try it? Probably not unless you REALLY know what you're doing and have the budget to make sure the model looks good.

No details like that at the moment, I'm afraid!

This is purely domain registration, which indicates there's interest in the project but little else. With Sony's record of 5 films, though... there's a lot of reason to be optimistic about these.

I think the reason there was little advance warning for most of the other films was because they were in-house IPs (e.g. Sly Cooper's movie domain came up around 24 hours before the actual reveal). For Sonic and BioShock they register them early and talk to the IP holders in further detail afterward. At least, that's what I imagine.

Bioshock is one of the very last games that should ever, EVER have a film so consider me a combination of worried and pissed off that this is even being considered. It's like the people in charge of these things don't even half glance at the original work.

The only way this movie could come out decent is a shot at adapting Infinite instead of the original game, but like I said, I can't see that turning out any better than decent.