Awoo.

Viacom has just Sold GameTrailers "Cheap as chips... Doritos chips!"

Badnik Mechanic

Man what the hell is going on at Naughty Dog

Just announced on twitter by Michael Pachter,

https://twitter.com/michaelpachter/status/460930006160392192

GameTrailers has been sold by it's owner Viacom. However there's been no statement yet from Viacom explaining who has bought it, or any word of the shows that it produces. Also the way he puts the announcement like that, sounds like it may have shut down? Nah... can't be.

Does anyone really use GT anymore? The only reason I use it is for when they do E3 live coverage or on the very rare occasions where they actually get an exclusive trailer for a game I like. I guess The Final Bossman was cool but I've not watched it for ages.

Holy shit!

qtKpGGZ.png

This is starting to sound really bad.

The only thing I care about that came from GameTrailers was Pop Fiction and Time Line. 

Shame for those who like it, though. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm gonna miss the Timeline series, but at least they went over two of my favorite stories before kicking the bucket!

I think we all know the real question to ask here.

"Does this mean James Rolfe will stop using their shitty video player for AVGN episodes?"

• Thumbs Up 8

Am I the only one who came into this topic with my first thought being: "Wait, Viacom owned Game Trailers?"

Never really watched Gametrailers so I don't care. Based on what Autosaver has said, doesn't sound like we'll be missing much.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fuck. :/

I watch the Final Bosman regularly every Wednesday, have been listening to the GT Time podcast every week since it started, and really like their Retrospectives, Timeline, Pop Fiction, Top 10's, and E3 Coverage. 

This seriously sucks.

They better not die. Where else am I gonna be able to watch "TOP 10 WORST SANIC GAMES" and "TOP 10 MASCOTS THAT FAILED FEATURING SANIC" or "WORST 5 SONIC CHARACTERS" ??

tatuajes-preguntas-dolor6_1.gif

• Thumbs Up 8

Didn't they do reviews as well? If those are the ones I'm thinking of, then I'll miss those.

EDIT: Oh man Discoid, thanks for that gif. I died biggrin.png

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I really don't use GameTrailers at all outside of E3 coverage where they seem to be one of the only sites around that tried to get clear audio feed.

Honestly the reason I don't use them much is right there in their names- Game Trailers. Most of the time I don't want video content, especially when it comes to opinion pieces, and news. I want written stuff. Easier to digest and to later come back to. So no, not really sad to see them go.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh I only used GameTrailers for Pop fiction, a couple reviews from their youtube channel, and well not much else GT sucks, even worse than their own crappy video player.

If i can actually get the player to work, would you like an avi of the episode for personal use? I could try to record it.

I honestly don't care about GameTrailers and never gone to their site, so I really can't form an opinion on it. However, to those who do care about GameTrailers, more power to them.

They better not die. Where else am I gonna be able to watch "TOP 10 WORST SANIC GAMES" and "TOP 10 MASCOTS THAT FAILED FEATURING SANIC" or "WORST 5 SONIC CHARACTERS" ??

Not that anyone will be missing much. :/

Michael Pachter ‏@michaelpachter 6m

I apparently had bad info on GT, no deal to sell, heard it from a disgruntled employee. Sorry for the about face, the person was convincing

GT has said everything's fine.

... What the fuck.

Pachter's the one who started this crap to begin with. Geoff and the official GT twitter are confirming that E3 will still be broadcasted on Spike, which is owned by Viacom.

Who is viacom anyway? I've heard their name before but I didn't think they owned Game Trailers.

Who is viacom anyway? I've heard their name before but I didn't think they owned Game Trailers.

Media corporation that owns a lot of things. Nickelodeon, for instance.

And also MTV, to boot: Which I wouldn't know hadn't it been for the ridiculous DirectTV incident a year or two ago, and at the moment, their endless whining on Facebook regarding CableOne's decision to pull their channels.

Don't care for them at all, or anything they have to offer to be honest. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they (and the bulk of their channels) went down the drain at this point.

Eh. Don't really care about GameTrailers mainly for the reason Autosaver just gave. I won't miss them and their stupid top 10 bull, that's for sure. 8I

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe Viacom was also responsible for taking down a lot of videos on Youtube that had anything related to Nickelodeon, MTV, Paramount studios, etc.

The only time I watched GT was during that E3 where they picked up the exclusive rights to the ... Microsoft (?) press conference.

With G4 long gone who's going to bring the E3 action to TV now?

I got sick of gametrailers when they turned into sonicbashingsite.com

I'm shocked you can find enjoyment in browsing SSMB, in that case.

They also gave Generations an 8.1 so I have no idea where this anti-Sonic bias nonsense came from.

• Thumbs Up 1