Awoo.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

Carbo

I don't think it's smart to punk out on an actual conference again, but that video is too hilarious for me to be upset at. They really should have done a real conference, but eh. I laughed.

I don't have any words for that video

But I think they should have done a conference this year, hopefully the Digital Event isn't just another Direct

Can nintendo really afford to not do a conference this year? I know it isn't outright stated anywhere I hope they change their mind and do it this time.

Also, that video was hilarious.

Aren't they still doing an actual conference, though? I thought this was just complimenting that.

Funny stuff, btw.

I'm blanking here. Honestly, can anyone tell me what Nintendo loses on not doing an actual conference? All the info is still presented to the public, and I imagine they'll still have a booth to present stuff to people that actually matter in the industry. Only people losing are the reporters and at this point, fuck the gaming press.

• Thumbs Up 2

I sure as hell hope they're still doing an on stage conference as well as this digital one. I can understand not doing one last year, but right now Nintendo needs all the attention it can get with what seems to be an amazing amount of games coming to the Wii U. I wanna hear the reaction from the crowd!

Also, while the Direct last year was pretty good, I felt it would've been so much more effective had it been on stage. Just imagine what the crowd's reaction would have been like when Megaman appeared in SSB4!

• Thumbs Up 6

Aren't they still doing an actual conference, though? I thought this was just complimenting that.

Funny stuff, btw.

Direct like last year, or something akin to that. It won't be an actual conference.

I'm blanking here. Honestly, can anyone tell me what Nintendo loses on not doing an actual conference? All the info is still presented to the public, and I imagine they'll still have a booth to present stuff to people that actually matter in the industry. Only people losing are the reporters and at this point, fuck the gaming press.

Good point, I guess its just so they don't end up not getting enough attention cause they weren't front and center last time.

Well, this'll be interesting. If they can up their game with the livestreams, I don't mind them going for another livestream conference. They do need to make sure damn well everyone knows about it, though.

And, yeah, the video was hilarious. MECHA-REGGIE.

That video was golden. I don't think they should forego the conference again, but still, this sounds very ambitious and interesting.

Please let this happen at my local Best Buy please let this happen at my local Best Buy

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think it's smart to punk out on an actual conference again, but that video is too hilarious for me to be upset at. They really should have done a real conference, but eh. I laughed.

I'll take a Direct over having to slog through an hour/hour and 30 minutes of boring shit (Sony 2013) or truly embarrassing moments (Microsoft recently, Nintendo 2008).

I'll take a Direct over having to slog through an hour/hour and 30 minutes of boring shit (Sony 2013) or truly embarrassing moments (Microsoft recently, Nintendo 2008).

Good for you. What's your point?

• Thumbs Up 2

My point is that conferences have exciting stuff, yes, but you have to watch the boring stuff as well. As much as I loved Sony's last year, their first hour was ABYSSMALLY boring. I don't fucking care about sales and partnerships with entertainment businesses or your own business that ISN'T related to gaming. I just want games (Sony Motion Pictures, Music). Announce that other stuff quickly there or during the private conferences.

Honestly it sounds like you're trying to defend Nintendo on every point possible, even when it doesn't need defending. There isn't any reason to be Nintendo's apologist for this issue.

You're being silly.

I'm not defending them. I would've LOVED a conference for reactions, but we all know how boring and plain bad they've been the last few years. Their Direct last year wasn't even my favorite conference overall.

I'm bitter over the fact that Nintendo seems to hate actual conferences now, but I'm optimistic with how they're pushing this as not a Nintendo Direct, but something bigger. And I'm also very happy at the reveal of a Nintendo-hosted Smash tourney,  I love that they're actually reaching out too the competitive side of the Smash community that they outright shat in the faces of before with tripping, and it also gives me hope that they're putting more effort into making Smash 4 more competitive and possibly more balanced then Brawl. Also the Nintendo Treehouse sounds cool.

Really I just miss live reactions. I mean, look at this. 

Imagine what the live reactions would have been like for Mega Man! I miss that sort of hype and spectacle, but I can deal if this new digital method can deliver an equal amount of announcements. 

Oh yeah, and the video with Mecha-Reggie was golden. 

Surely this E3's gonna be interesting....

• Thumbs Up 5

The online stream format does have its benefits, the Direct last year had a much nicer and controlled presentation than a stage conference, meaning zero chances for fuckups and none of the boring fluff. It gave gamers exactly the sort of content they watched conferences for, no more, no less.

Executed with the right content, Nintendo could easily make their competitors' showings look like crap, but that depends on how they execute it.

I'm not defending them. I would've LOVED a conference for reactions, but we all know how boring and plain bad they've been the last few years. Their Direct last year wasn't even my favorite conference overall.

Yes, but you're acting on the defensive here. "Yeah well I'd rather have an exciting digital presentation event then an ABYSMAL press conference"   ...like, really? Where did that come from?

Who here was actually making a case against what Nintendo's doing right now? Seriously? Why did it even matter? The only thing I can think of is that you're somehow trying to do pre-emptive damage control or something. You're like this in the other Nintendo threads, too. I'm just... curious.

Yes, but you're acting on the defensive here. "Yeah well I'd rather have an exciting digital presentation event then an ABYSMAL press conference"   ...like, really? Where did that come from?

Who here was actually making a case against what Nintendo's doing right now? Seriously? Why did it even matter? The only thing I can think of is that you're somehow trying to do pre-emptive damage control or something. You're like this in the other Nintendo threads, too. I'm just... curious.

No one was making a case against them. I was giving my point on the benefits of no press conference and instead doing one digitally. The positives would be like Sony's epic smack down and the reactions from the crowd last year. What I want to see is press conferences get rid of the boring stuff and instead maybe have two conferences. One that is shown to the public online or televised, and a private one for investors and the press with Q&As and sales. And if they NEED to show the boring stuff, keep it at a minimum or fast. I'm not an investor, and neither is half of the viewers online.