Awoo.

Black Knight, Unleashed, what next?

maximoo182

Hi,

I am twelve and I'm fairly new to Sonic. I mean, I've always known about Sonic and I love the online flash games, but recently, a friend bought Sonic and the Dark Knight, which I had already seen thanks to the comms by hellfire (sooo funny!).

I have played ten+ levels and he will lend it to me once he has beaten the final boss, so I will get to play it in its integrity.

Because it was so cool (I absolutely love it!) I have now purchased Sonic Unleashed online and it should arrive soon.

My question is, which Sonic game shall I buy next (bearing in mind that the consoles the family have are the Wii, the NES (heheh), a PC and soon a MacMini).

Cheers,

maximoo182

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crystal Kingfisher

• speedfreak

• azoo

• 3thmthm

Oh really? New to Sonic? Well, as you have a Wii I suggest that you pick-up Sonic and the Secret Rings- it's the game that comes before Black Knight. It's on-rails completely (meaning that you're always moving forward) and Sonic doesn't use a sword in this game. Black Knight is really the only game wherein he has ever used a weapon actually.

Sonic and the Secret Rings/Black Knight are both spin-off titles, you know. Unleashed for the Wii is the latest installment to the main series (Unleashed is also on the 360/PS3 and is a very different game) and you will probably get a little more familiar with Sonic's world with that one.

I suggest that you buy some of the older Gamecube Games to play on the Wii if you are willing to buy a Gamecube controller. Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog (Shadow is Lancelot in Black Knight) are the main games on that platform. Shadow is usually thought to be the worst with Sonic Adventure 2 coming out as the best, but of course it all comes down to an opinion. You'll also find Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Mega Collection Plus and Sonic Gems Collection. Basically, these are all of the older Sonic games from the early nineties compiled into one game. You can find them very cheap nowadays, and Mega Collection Plus is also on the PC.

Well, if you liked what you played of Sonic and the Black Knight, I guess I'd recommend Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii) then.

It's an enjoyable game in my opinion and it's the prequel to Black Knight (and was much better received by the critics, too). It does feature quite different gameplay though, as Sonic is constantly running and you control him by tilting the Wiimote left and right. Some found the controls "broken", some found them "challenging", and others thought they worked fine. So your mileage with that may vary.

If you are a new sonic fan I recomend the following; Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Gems Collection for GameCube, you'll be able to see Sonics roots and where he comes from.

Then move onto Adenture DX for the Gamecube.

Next, I'd reccomend the Shadow Saga; Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog (GameCube).

Then play Unleashed on the Wii.

That will more or less get you caught up, however there are other games such as the fanTAStic Rush series and the pretty fun Riders series, but they are not essential for you to understand, if you ever get your hands on a DS get Sonic Chronicles as it has good amount of background information.

It is always refreshing to see a new face around the Fandom, if you have ANY questions then feel free to PM me.

A recommendation topic, okay. I'll give short opinions on most of the Wii and Gamecube games.

The others did a good job of suggesting titles. If you liked Black Knight, you should definitely check out Secret Rings, which was the first game in the Storybook Series. I like it better than Black Knight, but it controls differently. Sonic moves forward automatically and you steer him with motion controls instead of the stick, which can be hard sometimes. It's different, but definitely check that out.

Unleashed and the two Storybook games are all the main Sonic games on the Wii, but you should still look for the Gamecube games, because they're some of the most loved in the series. The GC has Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, and Shadow. The two Adventure games brought most of the fans that are around today to Sonic. They were his first two 3D games and they're considered by many to be the best. Lots of people like Heroes, and even though it's fun, it feels funny to me. That one's a matter of personal taste. Shadow the Hedgehog is Shadow's story, with guns and aliens. Kind of weird for a Sonic game, and the game still moves strangely like in Heroes and is more ugly. It's kind of a spinoff game, and I recommend that one the least.

Then the compilation games are the Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Gems Collection. Mega Collection is all of the main games from the Genesis era, if you wanna see where it all started. Very recommended. Gems is a collection of the other Sonic games from that time, obscure games or arcade games that were rare for people to own. That one's not necessary. Sonic Riders and the Mario and Sonic games are spinoff racing and minigame type games, and they're so different that I won't mention them here.

So I can definitely recommend - Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Mega Collection. I think if you play those you'll be pretty caught up on the series, and IMO those are the best Sonic games out there.

Edited by Badnikz

How can you guys recommend Shadow the Hedgehog?XD

I would say, play the classic Sonics (1,2,CD,3,&Knuckles) available in Sonic Mega Collection (Gamecube, PC) and Sonic Gems Collection (Gamecube), and the Adventure series (the first one have a Gamecube and a PC version, the second only Gamecube).

Since no-one else mentioned it, don't forget you'll need a Gamecube memory card as well as a controller for the Gamecube games, or else you won't be able to save (when the Wii plays Gamecube games, it literally acts like it IS a Gamecube, so the Wii remotes/home menu etc won't work, and you need a memory card to save your games since that's what the Gamecube did).

Unfortunately, Gamecube memory cards are out of production, so you'd have to get one second hand online. Be careful, official Nintendo ones work much better than other kinds.

Anyway, I agree with the general consensus here. Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic and the Secret Rings are all great games to try out.

If you enjoy Sonic Adventure 2's story, you'll want to consider getting Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog in order to find out what happens next (in that order). They aren't quite as good as Sonic Adventure 2 (Sonic Heroes in particular controls kinda slippy sometimes), but other than that, they aren't bad games.

If you have a DS, I recommend getting Sonic Rush or Sonic Rush Adventure. Both are very good, though if you wish to get both, get Rush first, as Adventure continues the story from the end of Rush.

If you have a normal DS or a DS Lite, you'll have a Game Boy Advance port on it too, in which case I can recommend Sonic Advance and Sonic Advance 2 for GBA. Sonic Advance 3 is good too, but I'd only recommend it if you ADORE the other two Advance games. Good news is, unlike GameCube games on Wii, GBA games on DS don't need any additional equipment, they'll just work and you can save your game easily.

Oh, and since no-one else mentioned it yet, just to avoid any confusion, on the Gamecube, Sonic Adventure was released as "Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut" and Sonic Adventure 2 was released as "Sonic Adventure 2: Battle".

Finally, if Mega Collection is too much hassle to get, the Wii Virtual Console has most of the games contained on it. Out of these I can strongly recommend: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 and Sonic The Hedgehog 3 for Mega Drive/Genesis, and Sonic The Hedgehog 2 for Master System. Sonic The Hedgehog for Mega Drive/Genesis, Sonic the Hedgehog for Master System and Sonic Chaos for Master System are also avaliable, and there's nothing wrong with them either once you've looked into the most popular ones. Great games.

Edited by JezMM

Well, if your looking into getting into Sonic, my first suggestion would be buying at least Sonic Mega Collection on the Gamecube to play most of the classic games from his early days and to get a good understanding of where Sonic comes from. These are widely considered to be the best games in the series, even to this day, and for good reason. I highly recommend checking them out on Mega Collection at some point.

If you become more interested in some of the more obscure titles from the old days, you can check out Gems Collection, also for GC, which features a collection of the more well known titles that appeared on consoles other than the Sega Genesis. Of the collection, you should mostly look into Sonic CD. I'd really only recommend it if your interested or if you have the extra money. Aside from only 3 main games included in the collection and the incomplete collection of Game Gear games, there really isn't much content in terms of games, IMO. The collection of Game Gear games is only complete if you either get Mega Collection Plus for the PC(as it isn't released on Gamecube), or play Sonic Adventure: DX a lot. I'd go for getting Mega Collection and Plus if you must have the full collection.

As for the 3D games, look into getting Sonic Adventure: DX and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for the Gamecube. These are Sonic's first 3D games and are considered by many to be the best 3D games today. Sonic Heroes is also a good choice on it's own. I'd really only recommend Shadow The Hedgehog if you were interested in Shadow's story in Adventure 2 or have low expectations. I can't recommend a good game, but that doesn't mean some people haven't enjoyed it.

For the Wii, definitely look into Sonic and The Secret Rings and Sonic in The Black Knight, both part of a storybook series recently started on the Wii(though it doesn't mean the two follow a set storyline, so there's no need to play both for a full story). Secret Rings features on-rails gameplay where you are always moving forward and have to control Sonic with the Wii Remote by tilting left and right. I myself haven't played it, but it is generally liked by most people.

Sonic and The Black Knight features a similar control scheme to Secret Rings, in which your on-rails, but you still have full control over Sonic's movement by use of the Nunchuck. Sonic works pretty much the same as in Secret Rings, only your not constantly moving forward, and the controls work very similar to how they work in the Gamecube games, only translated onto the Wii's Remote and Nunchuck. It's a fun game and was a good experience for me at least.

Picked up Sonic Black Knight for $18... and you know what, it's pretty darn good.

Sonic Secret Rings plays a little different, but it would be a $20 title by now, right?

easy, for the Wii it would be Sonic : Disney Tales.

and everything else Sonic and the generic addition of a new character.

Sorry...I hold very little faith for new gen Sonic Titles.

But cause of which, I suggest the collection titles.

Edited by Kagura_Nitrogat

*Quite the random video...

I most certiantly recomend Sonic & the Secret Rings. I basically had the same story you did, & that game got me into (or back into) the Sonic realm.

Hey, have you tried Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Heroes, or Shadow the Hedgehog (if you like guns and what not). Sonic the Hedgehog isn't on any of your game consoles, but you can play Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog on your Wii because they're Gamecube games. And if you haven't played Sonic and the Secret Rings for Wii, then you should, mostly for the speed possibilities the game offers. (And because it becomes before Black Knight, like Blue Blood said.)

Edited by Rukarioluv

Try to stay away from most of the newer Sonic games (I personally hated Black Knight but that's just me), and try Sonic Mega Collection (it has all of the Genesis Sonic games on it), Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 (I like 2 more though), and Sonic Heroes. I would recommend lots more, but I'm only recommending GC ones since you have a Wii, and Wii can play GC games, but you need a GC controller in order to play GC games on it.

Agreeing with the previous remarks, get Sonic Mega Collection first of all. It'll give you a good glimpse of how the Sonic series came to be, and how they originally played. (Believe me, you'll find those extremely fun..)

Next off, get Sonic Adventure DX and/or Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Sure, the story and all is better in the 2nd, but the gameplay is overall alot funner (sp?) and more fresh in the first one. You might want to try Sonic Heroes, but your milage may vary.

For a faster experience (like Unleashed), do what the others say and go for Sonic & the Secret Rings. It's on-rails, sure, but it's pretty decent.

Next off, get Sonic Adventure DX and/or Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Sure, the story and all is better in the 2nd, but the gameplay is overall alot funner (sp?) and more fresh in the first one. You might want to try Sonic Heroes, but your milage may vary.

I respect your opinion, but I like SA2's gameplay more, SA1's gameplay was good too, but I hated the Adventure Fields. But that's just me.

Just like everybody else here... But what ever you do, don't try Shadow the hedgehog or Sonic 06 :) . I'm just kidding... but i'm curious why nobody recommend these games just like they recommend SA and SA2. The same goes for Sonic Riders and Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity which is on the Wii. Anyhow you should look for Sonic games on Youtube you'll definitly gonna find a game that you'll love.

Cheers...

The Good Stuff

- Sonic the Hedgehog

- Sonic the Hedgehog 2

- Sonic the Hedgehog 3

- Sonic and Knuckles

- Sonic Adventure

- Sonic Adventure 2

- Sonic Unleashed

- Sonic Advance

- Sonic Advance 2

- Sonic Advance 3

- Sonic Rush

- Sonic Rush Adventure

The Unholy Trinity

- Sonic Heroes (False Prophet)

- Shadow the Hedgehog (Satan)

- Sonic the Hedgehog 06' (Antichrist)

Stuff That Nobody Cares About

- Sonic and the Secret Rings

- Sonic and the Black Knight

- Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

A PC, eh?

Well, in that case... These are some free, LEGAL Sonic downloads for PC:

Sonic Robo Blast 2: This is a fan-made game, and a wonderful one at that; it features fully 3-D environments, an amazing soundtrack and superb gameplay! Check the demo out at: http://www.srb2.org

Retro Sonic: pure 2D Sega-esque brilliance; it could have been an excellent Mega-CD game! Another demo: http://rsonic.randomsonicnet.org/Nexus.zip

The fangame community never ceases to surprise, so always keep a watchful eye!