Awoo.

Bob Hoskins - 1942 - 2014

Spin Attaxx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27224995

Actor Bob Hoskins, who was best known for roles in The Long Good Friday and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, has died of pneumonia at the age of 71.

His agent said he died on Tuesday in hospital, surrounded by family.

The star won a Bafta and was Oscar nominated in 1987 for crime drama Mona Lisa, in which he starred opposite Sir Michael Caine and Robbie Coltrane.

He announced he was retiring from acting in 2012 after being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

"We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Bob," the actor's wife Linda and children Alex, Sarah, Rosa and Jack said in a statement.

"Bob died peacefully at hospital last night surrounded by family, following a bout of pneumonia.

"We ask that you respect our privacy during this time and thank you for your messages of love and support."

Hoskins started out on the stage before embarking on a television and film career.

On the small screen, he appeared in shows such as Play for Today, On the Move, Van der Valk and BBC drama The Street.

On film, his credits also included Mermaids, Hook, Mrs Henderson Presents and Made in Dagenham.

His last film role was in 2012's Snow White and the Huntsman.

Hoskins was Bafta nominated twice prior to his Mona Lisa win, for The Honorary Consul in 1984 and The Long Good Friday in 1982.

He was also nominated for a television Bafta for his role in Dennis Potter's BBC musical drama. Pennies from Heaven.

Tributes to the actor have appeared swiftly on Twitter with Bafta saying it was "deeply saddened" to learn of his death.

Stephen Fry added: "That's awful news. The Long Good Friday [is] one of the best British movies of the modern era. A marvellous man."

I love Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and to hear this legend has left this world is just heartbreaking.

Christ...

Bob Hoskins was a wonderful actor;  my childhood would have been different without Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Hook.

I am not good at speeches, so I'll say just this:

Rest In Peace, Mr. Hoskins.

Its such a shame. He was brilliant in everything I saw him in. Rest easy sir, condolences to the family. Kinda ironic that yesterday Nostalgia Critic did a video on Roger Rabbit yesterday :-(

Kind of weird that I just watched Nostalgia's Critic's video about WFRR? only to see this sad news.

Alas, may he rest in peace and my condolences to his family.

Oh wow... I don't know what to say. Bob Hoskins... he was such a great actor. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one of my favorite films of all time. And reading that he's dead is just heartbreaking. At least he died peacefully. *sigh* Rest in piece, Bob Hoskins.  

• Thumbs Up 2

I always feel bad about it coz he said Mario was his worst filming experience, but that was a big movie of my childhood so I'll always remember him for that, even though Roger Rabbit usurped it as my fave Bob Hoskins film.  Good to know he had a peaceful death, rest in peace.

Oh dear, how sad. A good actor!

is it bad that I thought he was already dead... or maybe I was thinking of Bob Monkhouse...

The closing sequence in The Long Good Friday really demonstrated what an incredible actor he was. You see about eight different emotions pass over his face in the space of seconds. He was also a great Smee in Hook, and we can't forget his performance in Who Framed Roger Rabbit - you have no idea of the caliber of acting it takes to talk to nothing and make it look convincing. What a tragic moment. The group of criminally underrated talent that Hollywood has lost this year continues to grow. Such a shame.

"It's your life, live it your way." - Bob Hoskins

• Thumbs Up 8

Just when you think your day can't get any worse...then you find out the star of your favourite film [Who Framed Roger Rabbit] has passed away.

Such an excellent actor in everything I saw him in. Gutted to hear this.

Nooooo, Bob Hoskins was great. <=( Eddie Valiant, Smee and yes, even Mario...dammit he was such a great actor! Rest in Peace...

That's really...really saddening.

Bob Hoskins was one of the British acting greats, notably for me in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Even in his later years he was a frequent face on TV over here, appearing in some genuinely great dramas such as The Street.

Rest in peace, sir, we'll always remember you.

That's unfortunate :(

He was the only actor ever who appeared in a live action + animated movie and did an amazing and convincing job, it was like the cartoons were right beside him in Roger Rabbit.

Just watching Doug Walker's video on the hidden details in Roger Rabbit.

And I first heard about Hoskin's death via the Mario Wiki, seeing that Hoskins portrayed Mario in the movie alongside John Leguizamo.  So now we're down to just one live-action Mario brother.

3-rise-of-mushroom-kingdom-1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

This is sad. My condolences to his friends and family.

So sad to see him go, so many of his performances were a huge part of my childhood. Obvious one's mentioned here are films like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Hook and Super Mario Brothers, but there was also a really weird TV movie he starred in called Rainbow about a world that turned black and white after a rainbow dissapeared and kept getting darker and more agressive...it was weird but I loved it as a kid.

He's one of those guys whose career just stuck with you as you grew, as you moved from kids films to more adult stuff you'd always find him tunring up and he'd always be good. No matter the quality of the film, you knew you would get a god performance from Bob. :(