Awoo.

How is the "biggest Sonic fan" determined?

Adorkable

Hi! ^^

So, after a recent chat with Mike Pollok on Twitter, I've come to the conclusion that our fandom doesn't have a "biggest fan". Who is the biggest Sonic fan? Nobody know, right?

Sure sure, everyone could come out and say "it's me!" or "it's me again!", stuff like that. But how would we determine who the biggest fan in the Sonic fandom is?

There are members, I'm sure, who have spent many moons in their lifetime just studying about Sonic for the fun of it, some members may know so much about Sonic, it's really hard to find a challenge.

Then there could be some, who just know what the name of the first level for the Hero Story in Sonic Adventure 2 is called (because they just played it yesterday).

I'm just wondering, how would the "biggest Sonic fan" be determined? A simple Sonic-off (whatever that means!), or something much much bigger?

What do you guys think? I'm just wondering! ^^

It's indeterminable. There's plenty of big-name people who are fans of Sonic, of course, but none of them quite commands the attention of the entire fanbase, or have made any particularly big impact. I mean, besides somebody like Ian Flynn, there's not too many people fit for the title except for Soma

• Thumbs Up 2

Why is a certain few of your letters in bold?

Err, on topic, I don't think anyone trying to prove that they like Sonic more than anyone else is a good idea from any standpoint. It seems like a recipe for disaster, amounting only to "well I have more Sonic stuff than YOU!" or 'Well I get more S ranks!" etcetera etcetera. 

Why is a certain few of your letters in bold?

Err, on topic, I don't think anyone trying to prove that they like Sonic more than anyone else is a good idea from any standpoint. It seems like a recipe for disaster, amounting only to "well I have more Sonic stuff than YOU!" or 'Well I get more S ranks!" etcetera etcetera. 

It's a message. ^^

And while I understand your argument, I have to say that's where hopefully maturity will take its place. ^^

• Thumbs Up 1

By way of No True Scotsman. For most people it's simply a label others use to defend their shittily thought out arguments, as if liking (or not liking) a certain specific thing is a literal requirement of being a fan of the franchise, logic and objectionality be damned. If there is any such thing as a "biggest Sonic fan", it's not going to matter at all to said people because you can damn well bet they'll be a lot more humble about it than that.

My advice is not to think about it too deeply. Some fans are fanatical and some aren't, let's just leave it at that.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sonic does have a biggest fan. His name is Miles Prower. So in real terms, no one can be Sonic's biggest fan as its already taken by his best friend.

• Thumbs Up 8

A fan can be determined by the amount of Sonic stuff one has.. or the amount of time someone has spent playing a Sonic game, one could have extensive knowledge of the series/character or perhaps someone could be an olympic medalist that was inspired by Sonic.. One could express love in the form of artwork, from spending countless hours perfecting drawing Sonic to the smallest tattoo forever inked on ones skin..

Yes, a Sonic fan comes in many shapes and forms.. but a biggest fan? Perhaps someone who's worked hard to get a job at SEGA, someone with a house full of merchandise.. someone who's named their kids after some characters.. traveled the world to attend each and every Sonic related function (Sonic Boom, Summer of Sonic, Macys Thanks Giving Parade..).. maybe a combination of each?

A fan can be determined by the amount of Sonic stuff one has.. or the amount of time someone has spent playing a Sonic game, one could have extensive knowledge of the series/character or perhaps someone could be an olympic medalist that was inspired by Sonic.. One could express love in the form of artwork, from spending countless hours perfecting drawing Sonic to the smallest tattoo forever inked on ones skin..

Yes, a Sonic fan comes in many shapes and forms.. but a biggest fan? Perhaps someone who's worked hard to get a job at SEGA, someone with a house full of merchandise.. someone who's named their kids after some characters.. traveled the world to attend each and every Sonic related function (Sonic Boom, Summer of Sonic, Macys Thanks Giving Parade..).. maybe a combination of each?

Absolutely none of those things determine how big of a fan someone is.

You can't come to a conclusive answer about a subjective matter, which is what being "the biggest fan" is.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think this question is provoking a similar feeling as when someone uses the phrase 'true Sonic fan.'

P.S. I'm over 6ft tall, therefore I'm the tallest Sonic fan... so there.

• Thumbs Up 8

It's a message. ^^

twilightsparkleisbestpony = twilight sparkle is best pony 

wink.png Detective Mysterion has solved the message!

Anyways, wow. Everyone pretty much answered the question, but still. Really can't determine who is the biggest because there are so many Sonic fans in the world to the point where it doesn't matter who likes Sonic more than the other. At the end of the day we all love Sonic, so there. Then again, I remember the days of always trying to show I'm a bigger fan than my cousin. The good ol' pointless days where I would only think about doing silly things like that towards my cousin. laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Whichever Sonic fan is most deserving of a swirlie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I looked at the first few bolded letters and the last one and I already knew what the secret message was.

I was asking an actual question and hoping for a real answer, but instead I get a bunch of "no one can be called the biggest Sonic fan" responses, which are the answers I was hoping not to get. There's a way to be called the biggest Sonic fan, I was just wondering what the fandom thought it could be. Like maybe if there was an event in the Summer of Sonic convention where every fan could test their knowledge or so, just something like that. Maybe even if there was a "Fans vs the Staff" competition.

And to all those who left the response about height and weight, "fat" isn't a nice word and some people take it offensively. I feel like it was more of a post booster than actually attempting to participate.

I think this question is provoking a similar feeling as when someone uses the phrase 'true Sonic fan.'

P.S. I'm over 6ft tall, therefore I'm the tallest Sonic fan... so there.

It has nothing to do with the "true Sonic fan" bologna you hear all over the forums. If you like Sonic, you're a true fan, simple as that.

Also, I'm a little disappointed that you would participate in the immaturity of that joke, Hogfather. A respectable member of the SSMB staff should know better.

• Thumbs Up 1

It has nothing to do with the "true Sonic fan" bologna you hear all over the forums. If you like Sonic, you're a true fan, simple as that.

Also, I'm a little disappointed that you would participate in the immaturity of that joke, Hogfather. A respectable member of the SSMB staff should know better.

Yeah thats still not gonna make me side with you on this one.

Ok lets go through this shall we and why I think this is as ridiculous a notion and why I'd put it on the same level as the whole 'true Sonic fan' line.

You are asking 'How is the biggest Sonic fan determined?'

My answer. Why does it matter other than giving someone a ridiculous ego boost and the ability to put other fans down who don't match certain requirements?

The whole True Sonic Fan line was a laughable bit of bullshit which even some employees of Sega were using ("True Sonic fans wouldn't pass up this opportunity") forum wise I've seen the following use of it. "True Sonic fans like every Sonic game," "A True sonic fan would not say this." "True sonic fans would not read IGN" "True Sonic fans would ignore this!" 

In what way is that any different that "The biggest Sonic fan is determined by.... *insert requirements here*?" The answer is that it's not, it's just a ridiculous way to put a hierarchy in place within a fandom where it's not needed and is equally as belittling to people who do not meet it or cannot meet it because of various circumstances. 

It's a ludicrous idea regardless as to whatever fandom it's in, because you end up specifying such a tiny part of a fandom as big as this, anyone who doesn't have an interest in a certain area is somehow 'lesser' or not worthy of getting to a certain point because they might simply lack an interest in that part of it. Does that somehow make them any less deserving of being a True/Biggest Sonic fan? 

• Thumbs Up 7

Well... what is the definition of 'biggest fan'? Taking that phrase literally, one would imagine this means the tallest or heaviest person who is a fanatic about the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise.

I can tell what the phrase is trying to mean, but for that reason alone the term 'Sonic fan' is just inaccurate. So I think it should be redefined as the most 'fanatical' Sonic fan as opposed to the 'biggest' one.

If you mean it in THAT sense... well, it's immeasurable. By the definition, being a 'fanatic' of something means you endorse and enjoy something to a rather passionate degree. You just can't measure passion, no matter how hard you try.

Of course, everyone knows that trying to say you're the 'biggest'/'most passionate' fan of something is quite immature but even to a thoughtful and fundamental level it's still impossible to determine someone as the 'biggest' of them all.