Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

*sigh* you really want me to mention that game, don't you.

I will not falter

I would go with 5-5 but I already used it. (seriously that shit was gut-wrenching)

A certain P4 scene would be it if Atlas didn't completely fuck it up.

P3 didn't really effect me much.

hmmm

HMMMMMMM

Oh, I got it.

Fire Emblem 9: Path of Radiance.

Greil, Ike's father, gets a sword through the stomach right in front of Ike's very eyes.

Now honestly, I knew this was coming going into the game since FE10 was my first FE game, but it still got me. What was Ike supposed to do? He may have been a pretty good age, but he was still a kid. That would have to be hard for anyone to see, let alone a kid.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 16 - Most Tragic/Saddest Moment

The most tragic/saddest moment that I’ve experienced, huh… yeah, I’m gonna have to level with Discoid on this one with NieR.

Like he said, there are four endings to the game, and really, absolutely none of them end well at all. He’s already described the one consistent sequence of events that will ultimately transpire with all of them, so I’ll talk about a particular ending that makes me shed all the tears.

With the last two endings, they are available only in a New Game+ after acquiring all of the weapons in the game. Following the Shadowlord’s death, the Shade that Kaine was previously possessed her fully takes over, causing her to transform into a completely berserk Shade. Following this surprise final battle, you’re given two choices by the Shade that possesses her: you must either execute Kaine, lead into Ending C (which is a tearjerker in itself) or give up your life in order to save her, leading to Ending D. Now, this isn’t your average Heroic Sacrifice: no, with this, not only do you give up your life, but also your

entire existence. This isn't just an in-story event, either: your entire save file and everything--everything--that you’ve acquired throughout your repeated playthroughs will be completely erased. The only things that will be spared is your unlocked achievements/trophies.

Now, on top of the inevitable doom that Discoid spoke of due to the Shadowlord’s death, your sister/daughter Yonah is essentially alone now… and she

still got the Black Scrawl, so her time is already drastically shortened. What particularly sticks out for me was when Kaine actually sheds a tear… and she doesn’t even know why, her kinda-sorta love interest is now ret-goned.

So, yeah, NieR is one of those games where the main point in the end is to cry entire buckets.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Day 16: Most Tragic/Saddest Moment

The Truth about Zelda - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

I've played a lot of Zelda games and although the majority of them have sad moments, this one takes the cake IMO. I'll spoiler it as it is a massive plot point in the story. Watch the video at your own discretion.

"While it's true that I am Hylia reborn, I am still my father's daughter and your friend...I'm still your Zelda" 

99f.gif

Zelda finds out that she is the Goddess Hylia, reborn, and it is her duty to maintain the seal holding Demise for all eternity in the future so that he doesn't fully emerge in the present. She and Link are not content with that, but duty calls...

• Thumbs Up 3

Aw I just missed the cut off for the previous day... Oh well I'll do both in one anyways :V

Day 15 - Favourite "This is the part where Ninjashark would die" Moment

I'm gonna be a bit out of the box with this pick and choose a moment from a game's reveal trailer than the game itself, specifically for Super Smash Bros. Brawl's reveal.

E3wario.PNG

Specifically, my favourite moment is when Wario was revealed as a newcomer in the game. I'm already a big fan of the guy, so seeing him confirmed was great itself, but what followed was brilliant as well. Before he appeared, we had Meta Knight and Pit revealed along with Zero Suit Samus, who were all fighting seriously with the four main veteran characters, when suddenly off in the distance we see the the fat man speeding along on his bike to join the fray. Everyone's eyes are on him as he drives in, looking so suave and cool, before his bike splutters and sends him careening into a boulder in his path as he screams, completely killing the serious mood of the scene. It's such a fitting entrance that fits the wacky character, and helps round off the trailer as he wipes out everyone with his explosive gas.

Day 16 - Most Tragic/Saddest "Ninja just doesn't get the emotional depth of this scene" Moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOzdWmzFy-w

I choose the ending for the Revenge of the KIng mode from Kirby Super Star Ultra. Dedede's one of my favourite characters, and he worked so hard and went to such great lengths to rechallenge Kirby, only to end up tossed out of his castle the same as last time. The cutscene really shows the perspective of the boss characters when they're defeated, showing Dedede utterly demoralized and dejected as he walks somberly into the sunset (presumably just trying to get home). 

The scene does progress into more heartwarming territory though, as he is eventually joined by the Waddle Dees, who prove themselves to be ever faithful to their king, but the lead up to that is rather sad.

• Thumbs Up 1

h9z.gif

Let's go out to play Daddy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-c4rFr8CUg

This is far from the most immediate saddest/tragic moment in video games, nor even in BioShock itself's unfolding story.  But the intro sequence to BioShock 2 holds a place in my heart as one of my favourite video game cut-scenes ever.

Instantly, we are plunged back into the world of Rapture for a second time - and instantly from a brand new perspective.  The mournful main theme plays - remaining one of my favourite pieces of music ever to do this day - the clunky helmet surrounds our view - and our Little Sister looks far cuter than they ever did in BioShock 1.  Within seconds you are a Big Daddy.  You don't quite know what's going through Subject Delta's head as he looks at his reflection in the window, but that one shot made me feel an intense sadness at, and inability to understand, what he is, yet full of a sense of love and devotion he has for Eleanor at the same time.  With what goes on to happen afterwards, I can safely say they literally couldn't have captivated me into the new storyline more with this intro.

To go into major spoiler territory now:

BioShock 2:

The moment where you finally reach Eleanor and almost die is heartbreaking.  It's the first real time Delta does something major that isn't controlled by you in a cut-scene, and I think it helped emphasise their enforced bond more for it.  Secondly, the sad, neutral ending is my favourite of the three.  The good one is a bit too cheesy and reminiscent of BioShock 1's for me, and the evil ending is just lame.  But the sad ending felt unique and poignant... I just wish you didn't have to make Eleanor evil to reach it.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea:

"Booker, are you there?  I miss you.  You were the only one who ever...  You were my only friend.  Booker."

"I'm not even here.  I'm a projection of your own..."

"Would you humour me then?  Please."

"I think... Booker would miss you too."

My heart.  The fact that I'll now know this is happening behind me on my way to Daisy Fitzroy on subsequent Infinite playthroughs only makes things worse.

Her freak out when imaginary Booker abandons her completely was also really heartbreaking.

Half-Life 2: Episode Two:

The ending, of course.  If any of you nerds spoil this as your main one with pictures and stuff I'm gonna come and beat you up.

The Last of Us:

The opening, of course - made especially bad by the fact I hadn't followed the game closely.  I knew it was about a big dude and a young girl, but I didn't know WHAT young girl.  I literally had no idea she was gonna die.  And of course... the ending... again, especially the escape from the hospital.

The Walking Dead:

Huh, turns out the gif I put together is too large to display because it is the length OF THE ENTIRE SERIES.  But yeah pretty much any time a liked or loved character dies, and the Season one ending especially.  So far in Season Two, the choice I had to make at the end of episode 3 was one of the most shocking and heartwrenching cliffhangers we've had in the entire series to date.

Zelda: Majora's Mask

The amount of conversations you can find around on the Last Day and Last Night are awfully sad.  My "favourites" are the swords trainer who boasts no fear and how he's going to cut the moon in half... on the final night he's gone, but if you cut through a wall in his dojo, you can find him cowering and blubbing about how he doesn't want to die.  Majora's Mask is the kind of game where you can't even laugh at the irony, you just feel awful for him.

My other "favourite" is Romani Ranch.  The soft silence at the dinner table has a different flavour depending on whether Romani got lobotomised on day 1 or not, but both are just as sad due to either Cremia's despair or Romani's innocence.  "Romani... sleep in my bed with me tonight, okay?"  Blughghh ;-;

All the questions lately have been focused on stories and sadness and moments and these all encompass the same bunch of games for me aaaaa.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 16 - Saddest/Most Tragic Moment

The Ending of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky

Spoilers ahead for those who have yet to play, or beat any of the DS Mystery Dungeon games.

Mhm. Man, I sure haven't played Explorers of Time in a long, well, time. But I'll never forget how sad the ending to that game was. You've just saved the world from mass destruction, and restored the palace thing of time. Yeah I don't remember the details, it's been years. But as you're heading down to the guild, you, yes you start fading away. Your time has come. You've completed your purpose and it's time to bid farewell to your partner. This moment is especially sad because you're not seeing a character die off. It's you. And the music, your partner's reactions, the dialogue. It all makes it feel so real and it hits you pretty hard.

Sure, after the credits Dialga is kind enough to bring you back to the Pokemon world, but man. The time before that, where your partner reminisces about your adventures together and how you grew together as a team, it makes you feel how important you were to him. And the game does such a great job at creating this bond with you and your partner. You start from the bottom, as just a useless Pokemon, and go all the way as to saving the world. Or time... space... things. Hmm. Well you get what I mean. It's a powerful ending that makes a big impact on your fragile little heart. Like I said, it's one of the few things I remember from this game after years of not touching it. Well, that makes it seem as if the game is bad, but it's not. I mean, it's a fun game but I never had any interest in replaying it is all.

But back to what I was saying about the ending. This ending is one of the saddest moments that I've ever experienced in a video game. I think it was the first game I had played with a sad ending. You see, usually the hero saves the day and all is fine. But here, it's different. You make a sacrifice for the world. And I don't think I've ever seen an ending like that in a video game before Mystery Dungeon. Heck, I still have yet to play a game with an ending like this, which is what makes it all the more special.

Sad Moments in Gaming? Try any of the platforming RareWare Game Over Screens.

hqdefault.jpggfs_47079_3_1.jpgtumblr_mah6k37HKp1r3qjfgo1_500.gif20060529084400!DKC_gameover.png

It's one thing for a game to be brutally honest, "You failed, Game Over". It's another thing to show your hero failing at his whole quest. In Conker's Bad Fur Day, you get multiple different Game Overs depending on how you die, but in this one the Panther King successfully captures Conker and puts him under his table for balance. (The Live and Reloaded one shows him crying). In the Donkey Kong games, the 2 playable Kongs are shown captured by Kremlings. For me, the DKC3 is a bit more sad than the original, because it shows an opening door on a sad Kiddy Kong's face; who, might I remind you, is a baby. Banjo Kazooie's isn't as sad because of sexy Grunty Banjo & Kazooie aren't actually shown, but it still shows them failing at finding Tooty, and her turning ugly.

They tried to replicate that feeling a bit with Tropical Freeze (showing the Kongs captured and frozen in Ice, but it's not really the same tragic feeling of failure from the original RareWare. After all, failure is a natural part of life, but you can't let it stop you.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is pretty much gonna be nigh-impossible for me to answer, because I'm not one who gets emotionally invested into video games. But if I don't answer this, then I'm not gonna get a 30 Days badge, and I'm not gonna let that happen.

So I guess the one moment that comes close would be the end of Revenge of the King. I think that's the only time I've ever felt sorry for a video game villain, and really, how can you not when Dedede's walking away into the sunset with a sad as hell look on his face with only his Waddle Dees to accompany him.

Only other moment that comes to mind is when I played Red, beat Articuno, then realised to complete the Pokédex I had to catch it, and that now I beat it, Articuno was gone forever. As a completionist, that was pretty depressing, having to start over for the sake of that blasted bird.

Day 16 - the Moment that Made Mambo Sad

Ratonhnhaké:ton/Connor Kills His Dad

ca032d19-576e-42dd-b906-3444e3a4b0c8_zps

Hey I can see down all the ladies' tops from up here!

Okay, I'm sorry for once again returning to a game I have already talked about. I said that it was the most disappointing game for me, and it is... but this scene kinda made me cry a widdle bit. Having finished AC4 and read Forsaken it gives extra background to Edward, Haytham and indeed Connor and tbh I think this is part of the problem for AC III. Connor comes off as boring; his training and development into an Assassin isn't covered as much as Ezio's but his family's history is... it's just that it's not in the game but in other media!! So starting the Kenway Saga with Connor was kind of a shame, since you really need to know all of this background to really understand what is going on....

Spoilers for those who may not have finished AC IV or read Forsaken...

Basically Haytham, the son of Edward Kenway: Mighty Pirate was supposed to follow in his father's footsteps in the Assassin Brotherhood if it weren't for the betrayal towards his family, kidnapping of his half-sister Jennifer Scott and the murder of his father. Lil' Haytham was surreptitiously taken by the Templars and molded into their Order instead. By the time Connor is co-incidentally cavorting around the Frontier trouncing Templars with tomahawks, Haytham has discovered the truth about his pa and sister, that he has Assassin heritage and his beliefs start to crumble. He even considers what it would be like to try and unite the two factions.

Upon meeting Connor, Haytham works with and tries to convince him that the Templars really aren't the Big Evil Guys the Assassins portray them as, but it is not to be and inevitable arrives in a final showdown as the Templar Haytham fights his Assassin son, to protect his protege Charles Lee... and it's Connor who wins.

f5e95c1e-4d9f-4478-90b5-6c9e202b80fb_zps

Sooon, what did I tell you about playing with sharp objects?

It doesn't really help that you spend the first three acts of AC III playing as Haytham the Magnificent Bastard! biggrin.png (Come on now, he's much more interesting that Connor because he is such a massive arsehole, yet hilariously British!) You really are drawn into the story assuming he is an Assassin; he does all the stuff they do like Leaps of Faith and Eagle Vision, he refers to his training when recruiting Charles Lee... so the realisation that he is a Templar is a massive shock! So by the time you come around to fighting him as Connor, you're essentially fighting yourself! XD

Connors soliloquies towards the end of AC III reveal his feelings for both his long lost parents and ultimately decides he is neither Assassin nor Templar; he will make a compromise and continue onwards. One of the things I didn't like about Connor was he didn't really act like an Assassin, he just seemed to use their ways to exact revenge and keep his people safe... but perhaps his last few lines of dialogue explain all that. He wanted to get on with his dad and unite the warring groups just as his dad had done decades earlier. sad.png

Later in AC IV the entries in the little extras all refer to Connor as Connor

Kenway. Noting that Connor never referred to himself by his father's name in AC III, I wonder if after his father's death he decides to show his compromise by finally taking his pa's surname?

2bf45577-c46c-4a5c-b876-1d90be10d18f_zps

Sorry I was such a douche, dad... No son, sorry I was a douchy father!

In the modern time segments Desmond decides that he should forgive his own dad for the way he was raised and trained. Perhaps the way the Haytham's life went made him realise William wasn't all that bad. 

(listen to his memos in the extras of AC IV)

Then that ending happens....and that makes me a sad panda.

Day 16: The Saddest/Tragic Moment.

Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations: 

Beating Godot.

Godot_Thinking_Bloody.gif

Games don't usually make me sad (unless they suck) but this is one of the most bittersweet moments in the series. Emphasis on bitter. While it was satisfying to stick it to Godot one last time, it really just sucks. The whole time he was acting in the interest of Mia as well as his revenge. You prove yourself to him and earn his respect, but at the same time, you prove that he has committed a murder, and thus have him sent to prison. I mean, he had pretty much everything else taken away from him one way or another, including a few years of his life, his hair, his love, and most of his eyesight. Now, you took his freedom, and all he can do is commend you. He doesn't even blame you or anything. You just share a cup of coffee. 

Again, it's a super satisfying ending like AA usually delivers, but Godot's fate after that doesn't look good. He was a likable character, and that's what makes this ending more bitter than hell itself.

• Thumbs Up 5

Gonna do two days here if that's ok

Day 15 - Favourite Moment

True Ending - 999

I missed Day14 favourite Story, but this game definitely would have won that too, no question. That's part of why I'm mentioning this here, to make up for missing that. I'm not sure how much I can actually say about this without absolutely spoiling the shit out of bar none the best story I've ever seen in a game. If you haven't played 999, I beg you not to open this spoiler tag, and actually go play 999.

What started out as a "normally morbid" game in 999 is kinda flipped on its head here, and the execution is 

perfect. For most of the game and most of the endings there's this impression of futility, actually futility is prevalent, so frickin prevalent throughout the whole game. And suddenly when you witness the Safe Ending, something.. doesn't seem right. And at first you don't notice it because you, the player, have been witness to each and every story so far. But then it gets mentioned in dialogue, and it's one of those moments that makes your brain pop and the possibilities flood in.

And then the true ending takes place and this whole thing begins to be blown open in a way you never could have imagined. Your actions in the present reflect the past, present and future all at once, and.. yeah I'm starting to realise there's no way I can do the entire section of this game justice. Oh well, maybe I'll just have to play it again soon.

It's SUBLIME. The only word I can use to describe it is Sublime. And I honestly wish I could forget everything about 999 and VLR so I could play it for the first time all over again, I have never experienced a story like this across any medium.

If you haven't played 999 and you've ever enjoyed a visual novel, you owe it to yourself to play it and get every ending. You owe it to yourself.

Honourable mentions to:

• Ace Attorney Case 2-4
  • True Ending of VLR
  • Playing as Edgeworth in AA3-5
  • Going to Hyrule in Wind Waker

Day 16 - Most Tragic/Saddest Moment

Ending - Odin Sphere

Vanillaware's games aren't usually very plot heavy, which is why Odin Sphere surprised me by not just having a pretty good story but it also being one of the saddest stories I'd experienced in a game.

It's kinda bittersweet, but it's also just.. bitter. You spend the whole game getting attached to these characters and their own personal worries and problems, but it suddenly becomes something far far bigger than any of them imagined, right after they think the threat is really gone. That "legendary king dragon" Levanthan that hatches as a kinda weak baby dragon with a crown.. underestimating it was absolutely the wrong choice, for everyone involved.

And the ending hurts because so much is lost, and you can't help but feel that, maybe if they'd done more, earlier.. things would have been ok. There's a bad ending and a good ending, but even the good ending fucking hurts like hell. In the bad ending, literally everyone on the planet dies. The planet itself dies. In the good ending, everyone on the planet save 4 people die, and the planet is revitalised and given a new slate.

So basically no matter how it goes, almost everyone that these characters care about and know are dead, and it could be because of a few sets of misfortunes earlier in the story. A real, fucking huge butterfly effect that just isn't fair. Also my favourite character sacrifices herself and dies and I'd been hoping it wouldn't happen since it's implied in this prophecy and then her real name gets revealed and then you think yeah she's fucking doomed but she's also kind of the most important life force in the planet so that's nice.

Odin Sphere had such an impact on me that even the main theme makes me feel like crying. The bad end final boss music hurts. The credits theme usually gives me tears. Also they're fantastic tracks in their own right, Odin Sphere is some of Hitoshi Sakimoto's best work (you may know him from such games as Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Honourable mentions to:

• some stuff in Majora's Mask
  • Mia's death in AA1-2
  • "I'm fine" in AA5
  • Skyward Sword's ending
  • a bunch of stuff from various Layton games
  • Labrys' story in Persona 4 Arena

Day 15 - Saddest Moment

rosalina__s_story_book___don__t_cry_mama

...I can't double-dip, can I?

sshshhhhffffffffffffdaang.

Guess I'll have to bust out the saddest overall game I've played.

boxfront.jpg

This game, man.

This game.

Where do I start.

All of Majora's Mask is bloody depressing. But which instance is the saddest? Honestly.. I can't pick one single moment. I have to list it all out. Spoilered, just in case:

-The part where you realize that you're wearing the masks of deceased characters (Deku, Zora and Goron)

-The part where Romani is abducted by demonic aliens and has PTSD

-The part where Cremia realizes that Romani wasn't lying about the demon-aliens, and is ridden with guilt and remorse

-The part where Cremia has to convince her little sister Romani to drink alcoholic milk to dull her senses when the moon destroys them

-The part where Anju breaks down in hysterical sadness and sobbing when her lover and fiance runs away

-The part where when you get Anju and Kafei back together, you then realize they only have minutes before the world ends

-The part where Lulu from the Indigo-Gos (wait a minute...) loses her voice because her main squeeze Mikau is dead

-The part where Baby Goron is crying because his dad is dead

-The part where the Deku butler is mourning over the death of his son in the good ending of the game.

-The part where you realize the Skull Kid was just a scared and hurt kid being manipulated by an evil mask

-The part where the Ikana Valley music house owner reunites with his daughter after being a zombie-mummy thing

-The part where the swordmaster is in denial about the world ending and then freaks out and hides as the moon is crashing

-The part where the postman won't run away because he's too honor-bound to his job and he has a mental breakdown

-The part where you realize that most of the game is pointless until you defeat it because every time you reset the timeline, everything you've worked hard for to get those masks are totally nullified and reset, including the reuniting of Anju and Kafei

And finally

-The implication that Link never found his lost friend he was looking for, and the implication that he likely turns into a Stalfos at the end

Dang, dude. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 16: Saddest/Most Tragic moment.

Skies of Arcadia: Drachma's story.

63-061.jpg

When you first meet Drachma, he comes off as a tough, grouchy old man. He quickly puts Vyse and his crew to work in exchange for rescuing them. He doesn't laugh or show a whole lot of emotion. Killing the arcwhale, Rhaknam, is always at the front of his mind, and he wants be rid of you as soon as possible so that he can return to the hunt. He's absolutely obsessed. Eventually, as they begin to trust each other more, he opens up to Vyse, and explains that Rhaknam is responsible for killing his son, Jack.

Later in the game, after he's been separated from the party for some time, you find him again, along with the arcwhale, who has been mortally wounded.

SOA_Rhaknam.jpg

Drachma spent weeks tending to its wounds, contemplating what it means to live for no other reason than to deliver revenge. He makes peace with it, and moves on. You don't see him again until the final chapter of the game, where you have the option to use him as your 4th Party Member. I always do this.

After you beat the game, you're treated to an epilogue of every supporting crew member in the game. The majority of them are really uplifting to read, knowing that every one of your friends had a place in the world you spent so long discovering. But then it gets to Drachma.

XPRYp01.jpg

God dammit.

I choked up the first time I saw this. I'm not kidding; this is really sad. It doesn't quite explain how he died or why, just that he did. And after he had come to terms with his son's death. He was happy in the end, but can you imagine outliving your own son? And then dying once you've made your peace? This is heartbreaking, and it really contrasts the rest of the epilogues.

• Thumbs Up 2

Saddest Game moment.  (day 16)

One moment that I always thought was very sad , and I actually like this scene to this day, was In The Legend Of Zelda, Ocarina of time.

21.jpg
Saria_and_Link_by_Iori20XX.jpg

That dat when link left behind his greatest childhood friend, that day when Saria, the only girl who loved and cared about link....when they had to say goodbye.
  I like how in this scene, as sad as it is, Saria accepts the fact that this friendship was not meant to continue. it is true in her face, that quiet scene where Link, while hesitant, finally musters up courage and leaves. and Saria watches him go. 
eGtndTJ5MTI=_o_goodbye-saria-cinematic--2_Leaving17.jpg
LegendofZeldaThe-OcarinaofTimeUV-25.jpg
 She gives Him an ocarina, her prized possesion. 

saria4jo2.jpg
  She accepted that he must go, but would not do it without a nice goodbye. 

link hesitates then runs off. 
puppydog.png
the last long look as he runs away.

In fact,here is the scene to see it for yourself. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2E2vdIF6vM

Saria is by far one of my all time favorite characters,  mostly because her love and devotion to her friends, and also because she is kind and diligent in her job to protect the forrest.

• Thumbs Up 3

MOST TRAGIC MOMENT WAS MY FAVOURITE MOMENT TOO WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS 

Since I already said The Walking Dead's ending yesterday, I'll write about something else

Saying goodbye to Midna at the end of Twilight Princess was a sad moment, simply because you weren't expecting it to be so I think. When you first meet her, she calls you her servant and bosses you around, and the dynamic between the two clearly "just there" because there's no other way really. But as time goes on and the adventure spans, you unknowingly begin to connect to Midna and her friendship with Link subtly grows and grows as you learn about who she is and why she needed you. There's a moment in the story with a lovely piano piece which you dash to get an injured Midna to safety, and I believe that was the real turning point in their dynamic where you realised that something had changed between the two. So when the ending arrives and she shatters the mirror connecting the worlds of shadow and light to prevent any future danger from affecting Hyrule instead of having the chance to see Link whenever she likes, it hits a lot harder than you ever thought it would. It shows how much Midna developed as a character and how she was fitting to be in her role as queen. Good stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 16: Saddest Moment

oh

I'm putting the specifics in spoiler tags, but it happens near the very beginning of the game, so...

1f1589ebe217f1126492434eccb130bb.png

Hinawa's Death

Mother 3

Now, on it's own, a character death is obviously pretty sad. Especially in this case. A beloved mother of two twins and wife to a pretty cool guy, so yeah, it's certainly sad. It's also suggested that if she hadn't, her children might not have lived, since she distracted the out-of-control monster responsible.

But what makes it the saddest moment in games, for me? How much (and how many) people were effected by her death. A bunch of villagers, who most likely haven't had to go through such a tragedy in such a peaceful place, are horrified; one of her sons disappears soon afterwards trying to get revenge; her husband so devastated that he reacts with uncharacteristic violence when he finds out about her death; and last but definitely not least...her other son, poor, poor Lucas. And that's only the start of the terrible things Lucas goes through in this game...

And the way her death ties into the final showdown of the game is heartbreaking enough that it adds to the sadness of the original moment you find out she died. But that's spoilers. Please play Mother 3.

476dfb959f53a3131c780225639dd571.png

yeah it sure would be funny hahahaha

haha

hahhdflhaldhdfaldhglaehlahrlHLDHDFLD;AHFLAHTL4AHL;HTARL;HGRLHTL4;RHTG89RHGRST4JTKH4L

• Thumbs Up 3

*sigh* I knew this question was coming, and I really didn't wanna post it either, because the feels smacked me in the face. But here we go.

Day 16: Tragic/Saddest Moment

I'll be honest, I have two moments that stick out for me so I'm going to post them both.

BlazBlue_Continuum_Shift.jpg

Blazblue: Continuum Shift's True Ending. Fighting games aren't really the genre to put much thought into it's plot, but damn if Blazblue doesn't try its best to do so. It plays like a Visual Novel if you're familiar with those, so they're really text heavy, but it does go out of its way to develop its cast motivation so you know why everyone is fighting, rather than giving generic reasons like most fighters. 

But moving on, Blazblue focuses on the cast's efforts to prevent the end of the world caused by villains, Yuuki Terumi and Relius Clover, particularly the main protagonist, Ragna the Bloodedge. In the first game, the world was stuck in a perpetual time loop due to Ragna constantly in his endings, and was only broken in the True Ending thanks to the series heroine, Noel Vermillion saving Ragna's life at the last second. Terumi makes his debut and plans on exploiting Noel to kill the god that controls the world, which paves the way for the second game. At this point, I'll spoil tag for people who might wanna play.

In the second game, its revealed that the reason Terumi wants Noel is because she's a Murakumo Unit, artificial beings designed to interact with said gods. The 11th-13th unit are based on Ragna's little sister Saya, whom Terumi kidnapped when he was a child after cutting off his arm and burning down his home. As a result of being based on his sister, the three units have some trace of her personality and are naturally drawn to Ragna. Naturally, Ragna hates said units and wanted nothing more than to destroy them and kill Terumi. However, due to his interactions with the 11th unit Lambda, and Noel, in which he realizes they aren't evil or malicious, but rather like children that don't know any better and opts to protect them instead. 

In the True Ending, Terumi succeeds in turning Noel back into her Murakumo self and Ragna is helpless to stop him. Ragna continues to fight, to the point where he can barely stand and is bleeding out, but swears not to give up. Terumi goes for the killing blow and.....Lambda appears and takes the blow instead. Lambda is mortally wounded and doesn't have much time left, at which point the soul of the 13th Unit, Nu, who was installed in-between the first and second game, surfaces and talks happily about the time she spent with Ragna as Lambda and that she'll always be by his side. At this point Ragna, for the first time since he was a child, cries as Lambda/Nu dies in his arms, and not those stoic face single tears, but real genuine crying.

Now I know all of this sounds incredibly cliched, in fact I won't sugar coat it, it's straight up cliched and you've probably heard a scene similar a million times to really care. If this was any other series, I wouldn't have even given it a second thought, but as a testament to this series` character strength, allow me to explain why it's so damn sad. 

Imagine having someone close to you taken away by another, and you were absolutely powerless to do anything about it. You'd hate yourself more than anything because of your weakness. Imagine being haunted by that fact for most of your life. Imagine being given a second chance to protect that person and even save them. You're more experienced, and more powerful and believe you can save them with all of your heart. But you can't, you once again lose that person despite the chance presenting itself and being more prepared. No matter how hard you try to do something, sometimes its still isn't enough and you fail, and it hurts especially moreso when it costs the life of someone you cared deeply about.

Blazblue does not pull any punches, because it details all of this before the aforementioned scene takes place. From the first game, up to that point, it details Ragna's inability to protect anyone or anything despite his power, and it fucking crushes him. That's good writing, when it doesn't hold back the implications of something horrifying and it comes full force.

And for bonus points, imagine this OST playing during the second paragraph in the spoiler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Yd-qQzGbA

So yea, game's kind of fucking depressing. I'll do my second one later, this was a lot longer than I wanted it to be, but I really wanted to detail this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 16: Most Tragic/Saddest Moment:

Considering what few video game franchises outside of Sonic I have actually dabbled in, I actually haven't come across any tragic or sad moments in them, fortunately (Interesting to see that some in the Kirby series have occurred and have been mentioned as I didn't think that the round pink cutie could have some sad/tragic moments associated with him and his series. I see I have a lot more to learn...). So that said, I am going to have to go with Sonic, and this comes to mind first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ19n421nBc

The implications of this ending are depressing. Is it that Tails is dead or was forever held captive? That is some devastating and depressing thoughts, especially that of the former. Sonic is all alone running through Green Hill Zone. It makes you wonder what's Sonic is both thinking or feeling. Especially when he looks up at the sky and sees that Tails is there. The music doesn't help matters here; in fact it makes the matter all the more sadder. It's not canon fortunately, but it is really sad. sad.png

While I'm at it, I'll mention something canon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE2pD05nwMU

When Chip is sealed within the Earth from Sonic Unleashed. Seeing friends part ways for whatever reason always saddens me in general, but this time I found it really sad. Sonic and Chip had gone on a fantastic worldwide adventure throughout the game, only for it to come to an end without Sonic not even getting a chance to say goodbye to Chip due to him being knocked out due to his exhaustion from the final battle of Dark Gaia. That music was sad during this cutscene as well. Even though Sonic and Chip would be together as friends in spirit, it just isn't the same as when the two were physically together as friends and all the fun they had on their adventure. sad.png
  • Thumbs Up 8

Day 16

katawashoujo161.jpg

Hanako's Bad Ending from Katawa Shoujo occurs when you disregard advice and try to treat Hanako special and not like a normal person. She becomes mad at you and completely crushes your spirit. Now, mind you, I got the Good Ending the first time, which was pretty feel-hard too. But when I went to get this, it just destroyed me.

All of Majora's Mask is bloody depressing. But which instance is the saddest? Honestly.. I can't pick one single moment. I have to list it all out. Spoilered, just in case:

-The part where Cremia has to convince her little sister Romani to drink alcoholic milk to dull her senses when the moon destroys them

-The part where Baby Goron is crying because his dad is dead

-The part where the Deku butler is mourning over the death of his son in the good ending of the game.

-The part where you realize that most of the game is pointless until you defeat it because every time you reset the timeline, everything you've worked hard for to get those masks are totally nullified and reset, including the reuniting of Anju and Kafei

And finally

-The implication that Link never found his lost friend he was looking for, and the implication that he likely turns into a Stalfos at the end

Responding to a few of these:

Cremia didn't convince Romani to drink the milk to dull her senses, Romani WANTED to drink it but couldn't because she wasn't old enough.  Cremia lets her because she knows Romani will never get to grow up anymore.

...Though I'm totally accepting dulling of senses as a secondary benefit of letting her drink it as a headcanon waaah. ;_;

Baby Goron is crying because his Dad isn't around, not dead.  Darmani isn't related to the Baby Goron, his Dad is the one lost in the snow who I'm PRETTY sure survives to spring?  You never see him but the Baby Goron mentions him I'm sure.

Just wanted to correct those two since Majora's Mask has it's "sweet"...ish sad moments too like that.

Deku Butler I personally always saw as ambigious, I saw it as him thinking the tree looks like his son and being silly about it personally, but could go either way lol.

I also just want to mention... on all my playthroughs I can't bear to reset time after finishing Anju & Kafei's story.  It's always the last thing I do on the cycle that I take on the moon. XD

Finally goddamnit I always just saw the Hero's Shade appearing as a Stalfos as being an artistic choice in TP I forgot that people lost in the Lost Woods turn into one why would you do this to me noooooooooooo

Day 16- Whyyyyyyyyyyy... ;_;

I have two to go off of. Of course, there are spoilers involved:

tumblr_mi2zxgzrFK1rois19o1_500.jpg

REN'S SADDEST MOMENT #1: UNIT #24'S FAREWELL TO LABRYS (PERSONA 4 ARENA)

Persona 4 Arena shares this about the Persona games: a very long and verbose story. The last story you get to is of the new character, Labrys.

As you traverse the other character's stories, you find out that she's NOT a student council president, but a robot...to be more specific, she's just like Aigis, an Anti-Shadow Suppression Unit. Her story mode doesn't really include that many battles, but it goes through her entire past extensively. In the lab she was created in, the scientists make a bunch of these and have them fight each other to the death so the one with the most proficiency in combat would be used. During the times when she wasn't fighting, Labrys ventures outside and meets a fellow Anti-Shadow unit, simply recognized as Unit #24. They end up talking over the days, and later become friends. Labrys, who didn't know anything about friends, grew very attached to her. #24 gives Labrys an archive that's said to have belonged to a girl that she's looking for, with specific instructions to NOT open it until it's over. Labrys' bond with her new friend grows even stronger...that is, until she was forced to fight her friend in pitched combat. Unfortunately... the scientists force #24 to go all out and destroy Labrys, thus making Labrys have to kill her one and only friend.

After it's all over, Unit #24's memories, combat data, etc. are transferred to Labrys. She remembers everything about the time they spent together, and later beings to hear a girl's voice...the voice of the girl that the suppression units' memories were based off of. Labrys wants to know more...She remembers the archive given to her by #24 before her destruction. She opens it, and inside is a really damn sad farewell message to Labrys that was, well, in a word, heartbreaking. #24 expresses her want to meet the girl that was the template to their personality.

"I want to meet her...I need to tell her 'thank you' for giving birth to us and for loving us...Give our mother my thanks..."

I cried. I'm not even going to mince words. I. Cried.

Moving on:

1780857-ebainspiration.png

REN'S SADDEST MOMENT #2: A CHRISTMAS GIFT (ELITE BEAT AGENTS)

"You're the meaaaaaaaaning in my life...you're the inspiraaaaaaaaatiooooooooooooon..."

Okay, so this level flows like this: You have a happy family of three: a mommy, a daddy, and Lucy, their little 7-year old daughter. A little bit before Christmas, the dad goes away for a business trip. The dad promises his little girl that he'll get her a gift for Christmas and the girl says "Promise me you'll be home for Christmas!" Unfortunately, the game shifts to six months later, and the girl talks with her mom about what they'd do once the dad gets home...The mom caves in emotionally and tells little Lucy that her father's...well...dead...and that he's not coming back.

"Daddy's coming back!"

"Lucy, don't you understand?! FORGET about Daddy!

it's hard for me too..."

"Daddy...please come home..."

The thing that makes this intro a perfect set up: You don't even get a whole "AGENTS ARE GO!" segment...you see the commander dude looking at the screen...as it simply fades to black.

And this is when you work your rhythm game magic. 

The girl decides to cling on to hope, and tells her mom that dad's room should be clean and tidy for his return. Mommy finds his diary, and a picture falls out, and it's of his beloved wife and daughter.

"Daddy, you always looked out for us."

Phase two.

"Now it's our turn to look after father."

It's cake-baking time! It's the dad's birthday, after all. The cake is finished, and the wind(?) blows it out. Seems he made his wish...

"Daddy blew out the candles!"

After a long day, little Lucy goes to bed, where she has a dream that she sees her daddy after all this time. She wakes up right before she catches up to him...

"Daddy, it's almost Christmas."

The last thing to do? Decorate the tree. Once the tree's all fancied up...the screen shifts to the road outside, and it seems that someone's walking...lo and behold...the daddy comes back with the girl's present and simply says "Merry Christmas." The family shares a very affectionate hug and the last screenshot is of...

9442-550x-EBA%20-%20Teddy%20Bears.jpg

fuck...

how could such a goofy rhythm game have one of the biggest damn heartwarming things ever?

• Thumbs Up 8

Day 16

Most Tragic/Saddest Moment

maxresdefault_zps28ff5aa5.jpg

Persona 4

December 3rd

Otherwise known as the point where Nanako dies.

Now, Nanako doesn't stay dead, but if this is your first time playing, it hits you like a fucking truck.

Before this point, the killer sent a couple of threat letters to your house telling you to stop saving people or else someone close is going to get thrown in.  Your uncle sees the 2nd letter and brings you to the police station for how you became involved in the murders.  You end up staying at the station until midnight, and the Midnight Channel suddenly turns on.  On it appears the silhouette of Nanako, your little "sister", which means she's the next one to be targeted.

One of your friends arrives at your house only to see the front door open, and nobody inside.  She was kidnapped and was surely going to die unless you do something quick.  You and your friends come to a conclusion who the killer is, and immediately set off to corner him.  The kidnapper gets away into the TV with Nanako after getting into a car wreck with your uncle, and you and your friends go on a journey to save her.

Once you do rescue her, she's in terrible condition due to being exposed to the TV world at such a young age.  Though, it seems she's making a steady recovery, you just have to wait.  On December 3rd, you remember that you made a promise to Nanako to buy a new kotatsu after the old one broke, and you and your friends go out shopping.

You get a phone call.

And Nanako's condition suddenly took a turn for the worse.  You immediately rush to the hospital.  The nurse rushes you into Nanako's room to be with her.  Your uncle is on his way too, although slowly due to his injuries.  You grasp her hand, begging for her to hang on just a little bit longer...

maxresdefault1_zps57824c4b.jpg

She dies shortly after.

Your uncle is devastated, and you see what's going on outside.  All of your friends are crying while the doctor tells your uncle that they did everything they could.  He walks off, one of your friends screams at the top of his lungs and slams his fist into the wall.  Your uncle's assistant seems confused, because your uncle walks off in the direction opposite of his room... in the direction where the killer was being treated.

Your uncle was going to kill him.  He lost his wife before, and now his only daughter.  He lost everything and he was going to make that bastard pay.  Luckily he was stopped by a policeman on duty and was brought back to his room.  You and your friends come in right after and hear a noise coming from the kidnapper's room.  You walk in and see him trying to escape.

This is where it really gets me, because right here the game decides to put the fate of that bastard in your hands.  Right after he kills Nanako, you're forced to make the tough decisions.  It's fucking hard.  There's a TV right there... who's to say he didn't just "accidentally" fall into it?  There's 3 ways to handle this...

-Throw him in and let him die.

-Attempt to defuse your friends and let him live.

-Make the case that he might not be the killer and let him live.

The last two let Nanako live by some miracle

Choosing the 3 option is hard to do, because you need to choose a very specific set of dialogue options in order for the game to proceed down that path (and get on track towards the good ending).  It requires you to keep a level head and think about the situation logically when it's being overrun by emotions.

The game's telling you to abandon your emotions at the point where it's almost impossible to do so, and it fucking hurts.  The impact is lessened when Nanako pulls through, but goddamn it hurts so bad the first time.

• Thumbs Up 9

The Walking Dead - I would talk about the ending, but since that has already been mentioned a couple times on today's and yesterday's questions, I'll instead go with the third chapter.

One of the things the game really does right is making the choices and their results affect more about your own perception of the characters as opposed to affecting the story as a whole. The "X will remember this" messages demonstrate this perfectly: you do something that maybe you shouldn't have, and now you're pondering wheter that hurt one of the characters. Bam, you're now caring about the emotions of a fictional being. That's good storytelling.

Perhaps one of the saddest (and most significant) moments in the game is in Episode 3. Near the beggining, Lilly kills Carley (or Doug) thinking she is a traitor. I flipped on Lilly in that instant. I tried to help her dad. I investigated the missing supplies. I trusted her with my secret. She was the only survivor outside of Carley and Clem that I felt I could truly trust and in that moment she was dead to me. In the span of a couple minutes, you've lost two people in your group that already was too small.

After a while, you find a train and what looks like a safe place, at least for the moment. Things seem to be finally getting better... until it is discovered that Duck is infected. Well, damn. Duck was just a normal kid: a little annoying, but admiring of you, and completely innocent.And not much after this problem comes up, Katya kills herself. You group continues to fall apart and now you have to juggle those losses as well as the dying boy and deal with Kenny, now the last survivor of his family.

So what now? If Duck is left alone, he's soon going to turn into a zombie. That can't happen. Someone has to give him a mercy kill - you or Kenny. Do you shoot him and live with the thought haunting you, or do you give a father the hard duty of killing his own son? None are good options, and either way you're going to lose yet another person. Another friend.

You lose Carley, leave Lilly, then lose Katya and Duck just a few minutes later; how many games leave the player totally helpless to impact events around them? It's not only sad to the characters, it's sad to you. It was at that point I realized how special a game this is.

• Thumbs Up 8

Vcav

Dd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*sniff*

This right here, man

I... can't take it

I need a moment.....

*blows into tissues*

• Thumbs Up 9