Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

6466_batman-arkham-origins-prev.png

Like many, I found the combat of the Arkham games to be a highlight of them. Rocksteady took a simple idea of one attack button and one counter button and made it extensively enjoyable and surprisingly deep. Not only is it a hell of a lot of fun and emulate the kick ass vibe of being Bats, but it rewards you for being skilled and investing your time in mastering it. As your combo meter satisfyingly builds up, you can pull off more powerful moves and gain further experience points by ranging the items you use in battle. Then using experience points you unlock even better ways to involve yourself in combat, whether it's increased damage, lessen the damage taken, alternative uses of gadgets... overall, really stand out stuff that flows dynamically with great animations and satisfyingly bone-crunching sound effects.

Other mentions:

• Kingdom Hearts II - though it's quite button mashy, I really enjoyed the power you felt using the combat in KHII. You pull off insane looking combos that are satisfying to destroy enemies with and as time goes on you really feel yourself getting more powerful with the new options given.
  • Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance - another Kingdom Hearts title, this combat introduced used of Flowmotion which I've spoken about previously here which is a lot of fun to use. But on top of that you have a command deck which feels satisfying to attach new special attacks to and you can link with your spirits to use more powerful attacks.
  • Mario and Luigi: Dream Team - this can be said for all the games in the franchise since the great battle system doesn't change much throughout - however, using the dream world to pull crazy powerful and over the top attacks with Dreamy Luigi is ultra satisfying to use.
  • inFAMOUS Franchise - using a range of superpowers at your disposal to take out your enemies satisfyingly, alongside getting around the city with them is extremely fun to use. I think especially inFAMOUS 2 provides a nice balance of powerful attacks and strategic ways to approach.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 17 - Best Combat

Ah, so you want to know what I think has the best combat system? Well, honestly, I’m really not a person who plays games with a particular focus on combat barring the Super Smash Bros. series. However, as far as combat goes, there’s only one series that I feel does it with the least hassle. Unfortunately, though, I’m gonna have to pull that card again, because…

Spin_dash.jpg

Sonic the Hedgehog (Specifically, The Main Genesis Sonic Titles)

I know what you’re probably wondering. Sonic? Why that series, right? It’s not even particularly combat-focused the vast majority of the time, yes, but that’s not important to my point. There’s just something about this series’ main means of offense that I’ve always treasured. Specifically, it is not only due to its simplicity, but also its overall efficiency. 

You see, the main means of combat in the older titles is through Sonic’s trademark move, the Spin Attack. What I always found useful about the Spin Dash is that it can be used from anywhere and from any angle, meaning that whether I’m on the ground or in the air, I can be sure that as long as I’m in a ball and the enemy isn’t covered in spikes or is invulnerable, my attack will always connect. This is in stark contrast to most games out there, platformers and all, where you’re typically not afforded such an omnidirectional luxury. In addition, the Spin Attack helps to facilitate the main feature of the series: speed. Again, whether it’s through a simple crouched roll down a hill or charged via a rev-up, the Spin Attack helps you go as fast as you can; couple that with the “ability to attack from any angle” ability and almost no enemy will get your way of attaining high speeds. What I also find interesting is that the Spin Attack even makes a lot of sense for the sort of creature that Sonic is--it’s basically an extension of a hedgehog’s natural ability to defend itself by curling up into a spiky ball.

Yeah, I know that this will likely be an unpopular choice, especially with entire genres like fighters, RPG's and MMO’s being things. Still, one thing to keep in mind is that I’m a guy who, above all else, values simplicity and efficiency with the things he does, and the way I see it, the Sonic series and its Spin Attack best suits my sort of mindset in this regard. So, yeah, go Sanic.
  • Thumbs Up 7

Best Combat

Yeah....I just can't name ONE game for this one either...

Kingdom Hearts

Ragnarok_KHIIFM.gif

Kingdom Hearts is a series I've been following for a long time, and the main reason why is the combat. Not only is it generally fast paced and fun to play. It's also very smooth(most of the time) and beautiful just watching it in action. It's a mess of button mashing, anime super attacks, particle effects and disney voices and I love it. It paticularly shines in one on one boss battles, but it works as a good hack n slash too.

Batman: Arkham

iqx507EUribSM.gif

The two Batman games by Rocksteady have remarkably simple but effective combat. You get an attack, a stun, and a counter, but so much variety and combinations are given to you that the system soon grows into something complex and engaging. It's sort of like a rhythm game. Taking out enemies is easy because, well, you're BATMAN, but can you do it flawlessly? Can you maintain the combo meter? The only weakness these games have when it comes to combat is that the bosses. 

Super Smash Bros

iKXCtbprzJPCV.gif

It's generally difficult for me to get invested in fighting games, but Super Smash Bros pretty much always strikes a balance between complexity and accessibility. The characters and mechanics are simple to learn, but hard to master. The system is SO flexible that it can be a hilarious 4 player item filled clusterfuck one match and a one on one, tense showdown focused entirely on skill the next. It's probably the series I've put the most time into through it's sheer flexibility alone.

• Thumbs Up 6

I guess my answer for this is either the Super Smash Bros. series, the Mega Man series, or the Kirby series.

For Smash, it's cool how each character has their (for the most part) own unique moveset that manages to incorporate elements from their respective franchise into it, be it special moves, regular moves or Final Smashes. For Mega Man, it's cool how you're not just limited to the Mega Buster, but can use weapons gained from bosses which each have their own individual properties and damage outputs. Kirby takes this and more or less applies it to the regular everyday mooks, meaning that you're pretty much never without a weapon. Plus, getting sucked in and eaten is likely one of the most awful ways to go when you think about it.

Day 17 - Best Combat

dark_souls_dragon.jpg

Once again the choice is obvious.

I've played only an incredibly tiny chunk of the beginning of Dark Souls at a friend's house and even with my brief experience with it I know there's no other option for my answer. What I love is how weighty everything feels - not like the effortless hacking and slashing of Zelda, for example. Every swing has weight behind it and you really feel powerful when you attack. And even straight off at the start, each encounter feels satisfying. The first enemies you face aren't just complete sword fodder where you can press two buttons and immediately off them; they feel like actual fights. It makes it even more of an accomplishment taking on stronger opponents.

The fact that I have neither a console to play it on or a PC that would run it well is a huge regret because I adore everything I've played through and would love to experience everything else is has to offer.

Because I've barely played Dark Souls I feel inclined to include something I'm actually more acquainted with:

BioshockBigDaddy.jpg

As if I've not talked enough about Bioshock. I'm not referring to Infinite, which is far too different, nor Burial at Sea, which I've yet to play. But Bioshock, and Bioshock 2 even more, are absolute blasts. The way the enemies act gives you a good ability to plan encounters - you can sneak unnoticed by splicers, big daddies only attack when provoked, big sisters always give that piercing warning screech - and the mix of weapons, ammo types, and plasmids gives every fight a lot of variety. You can initiate a fight by unleashing a swarm of bees to hunt down hidden enemies and electrocute the water they're in, you can catch an enemy grenade and lob it back at them, you can turn someone into a block of ice and shatter them with a wrench. There are so many choices, and it's an especially grand time against daddies and sisters where you can just let loose everything you've got. You have complete control to make every fight unique, keeping combat new and exciting the whole game through. Bioshock 2's addition of plasmids being used at the same time as conventional weapons vastly improved the already fabulous gameplay - and there's really nothing more satisfying than drilling a hole through a splicer's torso.

And one more worth mentioning:

I don't even know how to explain Dota 2's combat to someone who's never played it and if you have played it you know that unrivaled sense of accomplishment that comes with winning a great teamfight. It makes you feel like a real hero.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 17: Best combat.

Oh dear, not something I excel at. Anyway, I've only played the demo but...

12.jpg 

Metal Gear Rising has some very nice, precise combat, which coupled with the thrash music, gets you pumped. The power you feel at accurately slicing someone into ribbons, then tearing out their spine is intoxicatingly empowering. I'll have to buy the full game soon because this demo was ace.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 17 - Mambo's Favourite Ways to Beat Up Pixellated People

I'mma gonna go old school for this one;

1ac68ca6-8c20-4032-a258-b42eb34ef1be_zps

Side-scrolling beat 'em ups FTW!

This was my first kickin-the-living-shite-out-of-things game (I had a shitty Shinobi game on cassette but it didn't really work well on my computer, it was basically a black stick man on a grey background rescuing pink blobs meant to be children, a bit like an early Mega Drive Moonwalker but less creepy). My mum didn't exactly approve of me having this game; it was on a cartridge that came with my Meggy Dwive, including Golden Axe (another badass beat 'em up) and Revenge of Shinobi. All of these games are quite violent in comparison to the coloufulness of the Sonic series. But she actually started playing 2P Streets of Rage with me(!) and ended up enjoying it as much as I did! :D

I would always play as Blaze. Sure she is the weakest character, but she is also the quickest and nimblest. I had tried playing as Adam and Axel, but their fighting types were either too slow to move, grab a bad guy and get a good combo in or unable to jump and flip as well.

blaze.jpeg

Blaze's moves are absolutely badass! It used to feel soooo good using her combo attacks. She can kick, flip and chop bad guys twice her size into submission! It's not wonder one of the recurring level bosses is two Blaze clones!

Mona_%26_Lisa.jpg

I have since learned these beeyatches are called Mona and Lisa. *sigh* They can do some pretty cool spin attack-like jumps that Blaze can also do if thrown by a 2P character. These two were the ones that gave me the most trouble and cost me the most lives, for sure. In 2P mode I noticed that each one would go for a particular character, so our tactic was to attack the one that was going for the other player, as these two seemed to completely ignore the opponent they weren't interested in! :D Playing on my own was much tougher, though.

Also I totally didn't pretend she was me, nope. Not at all... *whistles*

Bonus mention; Ling Xiaoyu from the Tekken series;

0f1d8231-51ea-48d4-90b3-278bc4bf84dc_zps

Yeeah, punkass outfit! Awesome! :B *wangles on geetar*

Xiaoyu is a very nimble character too, and I just love her moves and combos. One of my favourites is her Phoenix stance where she crouches, sticks her arms in the air like wings and can launch into various high-powered moves such as kicking people in the face so hard they fly in the air, or doing a rotating low kick with both legs that knocks the opponent to the floor.

So yeah... I love quick characters that are capable of aerial moves. I guess they are such a contrast to me IRL, a big heavy lump!! XD I could never do any of this shit!!

• Thumbs Up 2

The Wonderful 101

I would've added this to my list, but I didn't want my post to take the entire page. lol

Day 17: Best Combat

I'm going to have to go with Twilight Princess.

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20

Swipe swipe stab stab sidestep parry roll helm-split block dodge sidestep backflip slice spin attack block parry and THEN STAB THEM IN THE CHEST AND HOLD THEIR STILL-BEATING HEART IN FRONT OF THEIR FACE SO THEY CAN SEE HOW BLACK IT IS-

SSHHHHFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS BLOOOOOD

technical_difficulties.gif

oh, ho ho ho

their screams were so satisfying... hahaha...

5306-lol-i-cant.jpg

*ahem*

Anyway.

znyy.jpg

First thought that popped into my head was Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess - while the best screenshot I could find is the Wii version, I talk specifically about the Gamecube Version.

I just found the combat immensely satisfying and fun.  It was just another evolution of that which was introduced in OoT and MM and improved in WW, but it did so many things I really liked.  You can swing your sword while running and not locked onto anything, the context sensitive prompts from WW are made manual so you can wreck havoc on any enemy you like with your preferred moves, and most importantly... if you push A to put your sword away after killing someone at the right time, Link does that little swishy thing.  C8

In the Wii version they ruined it with generic waggles replacing anything the B button did which just sounds awkward as hell to me.

I'm going to pretend that it's the Gamecube version I played and not the Wii version.

:c

But you know what, even with the waggle, Twilight Princess' combat was very fun. The waggling practically became second nature to me, so I don't recall ever having issue with it. And yeah, the sword flippy thing you can do after you slaughter a bunch of ugly piggy monsters is oh so satisfying. <3

• Thumbs Up 3

I have multiple picks for this one.

6yetfuE.png

Bayonetta

This combat system is pretty much the pinnacle of the Devil May Cry (no not the godawful reboot)-styled combat system, by essentially fixing the few flaws of that system and adding more things on top of it. The combat is challenging, fast-paced, looks amazing in motion, has a good amount of depth, and is most importantly, amazingly fun. It's just so well-crafted and because of this I consider this to still be one of Platinum Game's masterpieces. 

Batman-Arkham-City-combat.jpg

The Batman Arkham Series

This series's combat is so refined, both the stealth and the non-stealth. The non-stealth mechanics are deceptively simple and flow really well, but when you start having more enemy types the combat starts gaining surprising levels of strategy and depth, and with the way the system is built around flow button mashing will get you nowhere, which is something I really like about it. And then you've got the stealth system, which gives you tons of options on exactly how you wanna take down enemies with Batman's large arsenal of moves and gadgets, and these sections are super fun and awesome in their own right.

599122-super_smash_bros_melee_417240.jpg 18_roy05.jpg

Super Smash Bros Melee/Project M

Now, pretty much all Smash games have great combat systems, but as I've said several times in this thread already (can you say broken record?), I consider Melee to have the best one.  It's the most fast-paced and skill-based of the bunch, and that's why I love it. It's just the most fun and satisfying combat system in the entire series for me. Project M is an awesome Brawl mod that basically takes Brawl and makes it play like Meele+Brawl's roster+Roy and Mewtwo (plus doing things like changing around stages and tweaking/changing certain characters to make them better/more balanced/fit better into a Melee combat environment), and basically makes it so I almost never touch Normal Brawl anymore. This Smash game plus this Smash mod have my favourite combat system in all of Smash, which has one of my favourite combat systems in general, so it was a natural pick. 

DAY 17 OF CROW TAKING PUNKS DOWN!

Honestly there's no better combat than...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irxihFtNu2o

God Hand!

This is one of the most unique games ever. This guy named Gene gets a God Hand and decides to fight demons from hell and they're all unique like say gorilla luchadors and some guitarist with his drummer. I would love to talk more about its plot but I'm here to talk about why this is great combat.

So in video games like this, you have your own set of combos that you can do. And you can always use those right? Well God Hand doesn't play by those silly rules. In God Hand, you are the one that creates the combos and not the game doing it for you. You can go the flashy route and do all sorts of spinny moves or you can just spam 1 attack. You can be so experimental with this game to the point where you have to find something that works. This game is actually very hard so if you don't find out what works, your fucked. But I still love the fact that combos are actually done by you and discovering a new combo is very satisfying. UNTIL NEXT TIEM SSMB!

• Thumbs Up 2

Both of my answers have already come up, and I bet I'm not the last to say them either.

Batman: Arkham series

It's beautifully simplistic. Time you punches, time your counters, time your dodges, and throw in the odd gadget or finishing move when things get hairy. Amazingly, you never feel overwhelmed (excluding the odd challenge map, but hey, that's kinda the point).You really are the Bat.

Metal Gear Rising

I've played a lot of Platinum/Clover games, and I suck at the combat in every last one. MGR is the one I suck at the least though. The Parry Mode is a great inclusion, and Blade Mode slowing time down briefly is a great help. The way Blade Mode allows you to slice and dice is immensely satisfying, and timing everything right allows you to rip out opponents'  spines for replenished health and Blade Mode, giving even greater rewards and badass moments.

Definitely the Batman Arkham games. There's really not much I can say about it that hasn't already been said. It's simple on the surface but hard to master. It flows well, it's satisfying, addicting, fun to watch, it keeps you on your toes, it's just a great combat system no matter how you slice it. I also really liked the copied versions in the Amazing Spider-Man games, even if they are a bit dumbed down in comparison (especially in ASM2's case).

And since we're on the subject of good combat, I have to give an honorable mention to:

VJbox.jpg

Like Batman, this is another case of easy to learn but hard to master. Only in this case, it's VERY hard to master. Even though you can control the flow of time itself, stuff is constantly flying at you from all directions giving you mere seconds to react and strategize. But when you have the hang of it and are sending minions flying into eachother and racking up the V-points, ooooooooooh yeah that's some good and satisfying shit.

Day 17 - Best Combat...

...top choices are Bayonetta, Shinobi 3DS, Streets of Rage, Dead Or Alive 2/4 (never played 5 and don't own 3), Virtua Fighter 2/Kids, and Soul Calibur.

As Others have already mentioned some of these, I am gonna go with Virtua Fighter Kids.

When I got this it was like playing a more visually entertaining version of Virtua Fighter 2, and was faster to boot. But yeah, to the point at hand, as a beat 'em up this game is fast and has fluid controls, and an intuitive control scheme. The game to me finishes up the golden era of Virtua Fighter. I personally love the style of this game but understand it may not be to everyone's taste, if the visuals put you off, try Virtua Fighter 2.

Day 17: Best combat system in a game?

No picture for today, because I'm tired from doing alot of stuff. But I'm going to state that it's most likely a tie between BioShock, and the Batman Arkham City series of games. BioShock has pretty nice combat mechanics in where you need to think on how to tackle stronger enemies like the Big Daddies, in order to even survive taking them on directly, or to soak it to those large clusters of enemies trying to ambush you, and the Arkham series of games to try and keep beating the enemies without getting hit for smoother combo's and for more critical hits, and that there are alot of puzzle elements to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Best Combat

I'm going to say  the Kingdom Hearts series. The fighting was always enjoyable for me, and it's faced-paced action, with fluid animation which just makes it look damn cool made it not only great to play, but lovely to watch. I love gaining height when slashing up enemies. There's also the magic elements, which make your combat more strategic in how you use it, and more unique. Kingdom Hearts II also gave us the Drive Forms, which when used, gave new dynamics, pace and moves to your combat, and each one felt very unique and a joy to use. Overall, the cinematic, fun, and unique moves and abilities made me love the combat in this game.

dq8-29.jpg

I'll hit you, then you hit me. Deal?

Turn Based Combat -

I do enjoy a fast action packed combat game and some of my personal favourites have already been mentioned, but it has to be said. I go to pieces under pressure and I'm totally terrible at beat-em-ups, even though I love 'em.

Having time to plan makes me at ease, but that doesn't mean I play any better. I couldn't possibly count the full number of soldiers I've lost in playing the Fire Emblem series. *sniff* So rather than generalize, how about giving some examples of my personal favourite turn based fighting.

350px-super_mario_rpg_box.png

Super Mario RPG

This started the trend if I recall correctly. Before this, RPGs had you roaming around an area, then POW! Your whisked into battle and you'd never be able to predict it, or get the drop on them.

But Mario? He don't play by them rules. Suddenly you can see the enemies in the wild areas and you can attack them before they see you coming. That's right, screw the Marquess of Queensberry Rules! Mario fights dirty!!

Super_Mario_RPG_battle.png

The battles themselves are kept simple too. RPGs had a tendency to bombard you with menus and stats and all kinds of info and what that thing you might select will do if you did it. Each button is assigned a specific task, from attack, defend, item and run. While over the years, Mario RPGs have more or less remained the same. It doesn't risk alienating the casual RPGer, or the total newbies.

Fun can be had for all.

worms-2-armageddon-wallpaperfrikerio-gee

Worms Series

Different to my previous turn based combat selection, this time you gotta work for the hit points. Your team of worms has a wide range of weapons and items to use at there disposal, each being utilized in a slightly different manner.

No menus of selecting an attack and watching the enemy in pain on these games. You have to deliver the final blow personally and to do that the best way will require skill, luck and maybe an airstrike. But nothing beats the satisfaction of hoping for the best in a simple grenade throw, only for it to find the mark perfectly.

Jetpack_retreat.gif

However this also means your likely to make a mistake, and I often find them the most memorable. You injure yourself on the terrain, you lose your turn. You shoot your bazooka and if the wind is against you, it might send your attack right back at you, and you wont be able to do a thing to stop it.

Rope_knocking.gif

Disgaea.jpeg

Disgaea Series

For my final pick, how about a grid based combat system?

You have an army of wacky characters at your disposal, but you can only let out a set number on the current map. Your choices will determine weather you win or lose. Rather like a game of chess, your turn doesn't end until your ready. Your free to explore many options, but once you've had a character finalize a specific action, they are now limited in what else they can do. So once a character has attacked, if they haven't moved yet, then they still can.

It's a pretty simple system and it works, although once the geo stuff is included, things start to get a little complicated.

While the combat works well, it's the freakin' visuals that stand out the most. It's typically way over the top, sometimes brutal, wacky, mind melting craziness that I've come to expect from the series.

Unique_Champloo_2_1.gifdisgaea-4-valvatorez-o.gif

No doubt a simple youtube search could have you treated to the entire catalog of off the wall craziness from each of the five main games.

With all that said, my work here is done. Enjoy the rest of the day, doods.

tumblr_mo1gix3smj1rtvtmeo1_500.gif

• Thumbs Up 4

Best Combat

The Batman Arkham Games.

Elbow in the face. That's gotta hurt!

Batman-Arkham-City-detective-mode-1024x6

The combat is incredibly fun. I can't praise it enough. It feels seamless moving from enemy to enemy using the punch, counter, jump, parry moves and gadgets at Batman's disposal. It's designed in such a way that when you attack an enemy you have enough time to plan your attacks on the others without breaking the flow, and you can be wonderfully creative as to how you go about each fight.

You can plan how you make an entrance; you can stealthy take-out one or two enemies - before the others notice you - which reduces the numbers you need to beat. You could glide from above and land on top of some enemies or use the shock-waive move to knock a dozen to the ground. You can use quickfire gadgets like; explosive gel, batarangs, ice weapons, a gun 'distruptor' jammer to gain the upper-hand. There are countless gadgets, special combos at your disposal. In short, no fight is ever the same. Each encounter is unique and will keep you on your toes.

If you die you can't blame anyone but yourself because the combat is forgiving, and the tools are there for you to get through each fight without getting hit once. When I mastered the combat I began to relish the fights. *Enters a fight with 25 guards* Fuck yeah, time to kick some ass!

I like fighting enemies using the detective mode because it helps identify more easily which one's have weapons and shields. Enemies knifes, guns and body armour are coloured differently which helps you plan your attacks. When I take on enemies I'm motivated by the chance of achieving a 'perfect free-flow combo'. Bloody satisfying when you achieve it. The higher your free-flow score the faster you unlock upgrades, so it's worth going for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZsk-KbI7TY 

The combat has evolved from the basic well integrated moves in Arkham Asylum, to the addition of quickfire gadgets and better armed enemies in Arkham City, to the stronger skilled enemies in Origins. I fully expect Batman Arkham Knight to have the same kind of easy to use combat system with a few tweaks.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Batman Arkham Games

FwCJhsi.jpg

This has been said a few times in the topic already, but I really love the combat in the Arkham games. It's really fun, and it just gets better and better with each installment. It's fast, fluid and makes you feel really powerful, and makes you try to think of combos you can pull off with your different gadgets in combat. It's just altogether really fun, and probably one of the only games where I actually like getting put into a room with 20 bad guys to fight. I also love the challenge maps where you get to fight as many people as you can in many rounds. It's just altogether a really fun time, and I'm sure Arkham Knight will perfect it even more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

tgjKd0q.jpg

BioShock

I just really enjoy the combat in this game. It's all fine and good for the normal weapons like in any other shooter, even moreso with all the ammo types and such, but I especially like how the plasmids add a certain element of strategy, with how you can use various combos, and can use the environment to assist you, I also like how you have to plan how you're going to go about taking enemies like Big Daddies down, or a horde of Splicers, and whatnot depending on what sets them off or when they'll come and attack you. Now, the fact that I enjoy this game's combat doesn't mean I'm necessarily good at it, but man I just find it a whole lot of fun.

Honorable mentions go to the Batman Arkham games, for the variety of maneuvers you can pull of and the tactics you can use, with all the gadgets and so on and so forth, and the Super Smash Bros. games, for managing to be a good mix between complexity and accessibility, as Wraith put it, with how the base mechanics aren't that too hard to familiarize yourself with, but you can pull of some really cool stuff with practice.

But yeah, man.

• Thumbs Up 3

Eh, another tough one. I could go with Arkham City or Super Smash Bros Melee again but there's also another game that I rank just as high in terms of combat...

Day 17: Best (You have an army you say? Heh, I have a Kratos.) Combat

God_of_War_III__Cover_Artwork_by_andypar

God of War III

So violent, so varied, so... incredibly fun. I actually can't remember going into a single encounter in this game without thinking how much fun I was about to have, especially after you obtain a good amount of your weapons. Killing enemies gives you exp., and with that exp. you can upgrade your items for even more damage and moves, which makes for quite an addicting cycle. The moves in this game are so visually satisfying and powerful that I'll often find myself dancing around the last enemy in a group just to think of how I should finish him. While other game's combat systems might have a bit more polish put on them, the pure amount of moves and actions you can make here just puts it up there for me for the incredible fun that can be had.

Man discoid you sure do know how to play dirty, how do you expect me to choose from such a wide variety of great games? *sigh* okay lets do this.

First off, in no particular order I'm going to name at least 3 since I honestly can't decide which of them is better than the other...

God Hand

As mentioned before, this game has one awesome battle system with lots of mechanics and different mannerisms that basically make it stand out greatly from the rest of the genre from being able to set your own combo attacks to using dodge moves to buffer out recovery times to each attack having different effects on different enemies at different times and plenty more. But what really sets this game apart from most of the others in its genre, is the difficulty scaling system. You see god hand unlike most other games, doesn't hold your hand at all and in fact outright laughs in your face when your doing poorly (literally) and this shows on a bar on the bottom left side of the screen that has a level on it, this bar increases and decreases with how well you do when your fighting and the enemies will get harder or easier as it goes up or down. The game is basically set up in a way to accustom to any kind of player like this and allows for a lot of flexibility during a normal run through of the game.

If you haven't bought this game already I suggest you get you haul your butt over to the PSN store, fling your credit card at the screen and scream "GIVE ME GOD HAND" right now cause you are seriously missing out if you don't, it will be hard at first but after a while of playing through it, you will start to get used to this game.

The Wonderful 101

Now this game, oh ho this game man where do I even begin. For starters, this game is probably one of the most unique action games I've ever played and one of my top 3 favorite games on the wii u so far. This games combat system is just whole levels of fun, for one, it is really simple on the surface compared to most other platinum games since the only two buttons you need to attack are the A button and the control stick but its when you start making use of all the other techniques in this game when the battle system starts getting more complex, seriously if I try to explain it all here, it will require me to go for half the page but I will say that this game has one glorious battle system and if that weren't enough has some very good (but challenging) rail shooting and other type of gameplay levels here too that will keep you on your toes and just like god hand, will have you crying if you don't know what to do.

But getting back to the combat system, it essentially lets you draw up the different weapons that you have at your disposal and you have two options, either use it yourself by pressing the A button after you get done drawing it, or press the X button to have the weapon go out independently and have it attack the enemy while you use something else (very useful tactic in combo making), something else that even extends into this is if you tag enemies with a team attack (another attack option I forgot to mention) it creates a lock on, on that enemy that allows both you and the team unite morph to just zoom in on them from any distance and start wailing on them.

Metal Gear Rising

On a slightly related note, you guys remember on the disappointing games day when I said how much Sticker start disappointed me? Well, I traded that sucker in when I got done with it (which was only worth 12 bucks >:() and I used that money to get this game on release day (along with that amazing gray fox skin). Okay story time over time for me to gush :)

MGR is definitely a diamond in the rough when it comes to action games, it has a combat system that has a very heavy mix of defense and offense that basically requires you to basically make use of both to dismember enemies, the parry system in this game is probably the most satisfying defense mechanic that I've ever used in an action game since it doubles both as a defense and an offense (sort of like the royal guard in DMC but easier to pull of and faster). It basically goes like this, normally blocking an enemy attack will keep you from taking damage plan and simple, but, doing it at just that right moment gives you a quick and very deliberative attack that hits the enemy for crap tons of damage (especially on revengeance difficulty) and gives you a chance to zandatsu which is another great mechanic in this game that allows you to slice up enemies at will into as many pieces as you want and if you hit their sweet spot lets you literally rip out there spinal fluids and crush it to regain health which just gets me ecstatic.

Honorable mentions go to the werehogs combat in sonic unleashed, it may not be the most mechanicly deep compared to all the more fleshed out action games out there but I would be lying if I didn't say I had about as much fun with it as the above here.

(As for bayo, DMC3, VJ, etc., well that's for another time ;))

Best combat? Hoo, this might actually be a tough one...

No, not Arkham. Arkham's fun, but holy shit, it's automated and about as deep as a kiddie pool. It's the snack food of combat systems.

My personal favourites would really have to be...

Dark Souls (1 and 2)

It's slower-paced, tactical and gives you a lot of options, both in PvE and PvP, and basically hard but fair. Even individual weapons within the same class can feel worlds apart, and employing various elements and status effects are fair game. For the pragmatic and more 'realistic', Dark Souls can't be beat.

and...

Devil May Cry 4

I might have picked 3, but I haven't played 3, so I'm just gonna go with this one instead. This is, in my opinion, the gold standard for spectacle fighters. Dante and Nero both have so much depth while each feeling unique and different. Nero doesn't have Dante's styles or extra weapons, but he gets his Devil Arm in exchange, which can let him do cool stuff. Dante has multiple weapons, and multiple 'styles' to switch between at any time. The game is hard, but its controls and combo system are surprisingly intuitive, I just prefer the way DMC's system works instead of the 'dial-a-combo' system so many games of its ilk have. DMC in general, however (except for DMC2 and DmC) is great for making you feel like a badass while actually making you work for it. Just look at the crazy amazing shit you can achieve with all those combo videos on youtube.