Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 20: Favorite Side-Character

On the last thread I picked Tails so I guess i should stick to the no-Sonic rule suggestion and pick someone else, this is a guy who has been stuck in my head as I was writing for the best antagonist post yesterday (I guess I could see this post coming) so we are going to talk a bit about a guy who has little character whatsoever but it's still one of the funniest guys I've met in my young gaming days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGHmr3D4Mnc

Mentor (from the Dungeon Keeper series)

Dungeon Keeper is a game where you are put in the role of a magical overlord who must build a dungeon powerful enough to fend off any attack the "RPG party-like" Heroes might plan against you. Guiding you through the entire game is the entity only known as the Mentor, you don't know how he looks (but then again, you are also just a magical artifact and a giant magical hand) , nor his story, nor if he has a greater purpose other than helping you (hell! For all we know he might also be helping the other Keepers you face so both of you can kill each other off). But man is he a joy to listen! Especially in the narrations before and after a level when he comments about how disgustingly happy and awfully kind the people living up there are, and then praising the "remodelations" you and your minions did to the region after you clear the stage.

In the sequel he gets a little more personality and will make random quips depending of what you are doing (all of them shown in the video above), He'll comment about the risks of going blind if you keep staring at your Dark Mistresses doing their job or how the very rock yawns with anticipation since it seems like you are taking your time to do anything or even give little hints here or there about how you should be resting instead of playing on the PC late at night! He'll also spill some random nonsense every now and then like warning you about a horde of micro Piglets getting near your Dungeon or how your Dungeon is full of yogurt...

All in all he is an awesome being to have next to your evil spread campaign, he's funny, he has a voice that it's like liquid sexy evil and he can always put a little smile in my metaphorical keeper face during the game's dullest moments.

I came close to going for a Monkey Island hat-trick by mentioned the ever-awesome Murray, but he was my pick last time. Adventure games seem to have a habit of great sidekicks though, because today I choose Max, from Sam & Max!

In games that are already pretty out-there in weirdness, Max takes it to a whole new level. His description on the back of the box for Hit The Road is "a hyperkinetic rabbity thing", and that sums him up quite well. As Sam investigates and explores each location, Max will also wander about, but without a care for the case at hand. He'll poke at things, he'll jump on beds, and generally do whatever he wants.

Max is also the muscle of the team, even if he never wins the fight to answer the telephone. He's always up for a tussle, and you get the feeling the whole concept of "Freelance Police" was his idea as an excuse to hit people.

STOP! Senseless acts of violence are MY forté!

Max does have his uses aside from his insanity, as he's clearly a close friend to Sam, and can also be used as an Item on occasion (one puzzle involves dipping him in water, then whacking him against a circuit board to fry the system). He brushes it off just fine.

The Telltale games added a bit more to him. After becoming President of the USA, his politics become a rich source of comedy, and his physic powers in the Third Season really spice up a formula that was beginning to wear a little thin.

His television cartoon incarnation is amazing as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 20: Favorite Side Character

hunter.jpg

I thought about using Edgeworth for yesterday's answer, but I wasn't really sure if he classified as an "antagonist". If anything he's more of a PROtagonist since he had a couple spin-off games, but as far as the main Ace Attorney series goes he's usually just given a cameo or small role after the first game, aside from his one moment in the playable spotlight. So I guess "side character" fits the bill.

It's rare to see a video game character get good development over the course of a game, but Edgeworth may very well be the prime example of how to do it right. When you first meet him, he's definitely an antagonist, albeit well-intentioned. He's cold, distant, prideful, and mostly just kind of a dick. But eventually he realizes how misguided his philosophies have been and slowly mellows out, and now he's Phoenix's partner and friend in finding the truth. Once this development takes place, he's just so darn likeable, like a more serious Sherlock-fied version of Phoenix. If you need proof of how badass he is, consider this: Phoenix needs the help of a magic rock in order to tell when someone is lying. Apollo uses a magic bracelet for the same thing. Athena uses a really advanced computer thingy to get a grasp on people's emotions. What device or power does Edgeworth have?

Logic.

That's it. Just fucking logic, and he's able to outsmart and outwit all the other attorneys with ease. It's like all the other playable characters are generally written so they're on the same level as the player. They only make big connections in their head whenever the player is likely to be doing the same thing, heck, a lot of the time they're several steps behind the player. But Edgeworth? In his games he makes major revelations that the player is very unlikely to even think of, and he does it by only using his mind and powers of observation.  And if that still isn't enough to convince you, just listen to how awesome his theme is!

It's like the fucking cavalry has arrived.  Technically it's not really HIS theme since Ace Attorney Investigations passes it around like candy amongst characters, but it's still generally associated with him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 20 - Favourite Side Character

Alright so it's been a helluva busy day. I barely got time on me so I'll make this quick.

luigi-clip-art-3.jpg

Luigi

Luigi is one of those side characters you don't really pay much attention to. But once they get the spotlight, you really see them shine. Luigi has always been more likable than Mario to me. Sure, he's not always the hero, but I love his voice, his 'stache, and the fact that he can jump higher than Mario. Kinda makes you think why Mario's the one doing all the work. Anyway, Luigi is for the most part right by Mario's side and other times he's completely absent. No reason why. He's just.... gone. I do like how Nintendo gave him an entire year. It's almost as if only then people got to see how really awesome the Weeg can be.

He's got himself a few spin off games, which quite frankly I haven't played. Shame on me, I know. But from what I've seen, in those games Luigi is the hero. And I like that. Luigi is a chill dude and I love his personality in the Mario & Luigi RPG games. He's a funny addition to the cast, and I like how he's such a coward in those games. That's not to say he doesn't have his moments when he mans up, which are particularly interesting as you see a bit of character development in him.

Luigi is one of the first "Player 2's" but he's a very special one to me. Ever since I played games like Super Mario Bros. 2 or the multiplayer mode in Super Mario Bros. 3, I couldn't help but love the little dude. Sure, he didn't have dialogue, but he looked and played quite awesome. And he still does. Luigi to me will always be the better one of the Bros. as well as the greatest side character ever created in gaming's history.

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 20: Favorite Side Character

Daxter (From Jak games)

Daxter.png

Ya' see this? Ya' see this fortified powerhouse of a character, built to destroy and destined as the greatest protago-- Side character yet? The guy that gets any lady he wants? The same otsel that can destroy anything in his path just by looking at it? Yeah, this guy.

But seriously, Daxter in the Jak games is probably my favorite due to how much humor he brings to the games, and his ludicrous ego is just one of the factors of what makes him such a fun character.

Usually, a character with a lot of ego can get annoying but Daxter seems to do it right, and as much as  the moments where he gets buttmonkey'd are funny - it's also nice to see him have his moments.

The close friendship between him and the protagonist (Jak) is also a neat site in the games, can be seen in almost entirely everywhere in the games.

Oh..And did I mention, he is likely the most animated character in the games? Looking at him in Jak 2 and 3 during cutscenes is like looking at some damn fine Pixar/Dreamworks level of expressive animation, and if the games were running on some kind of impressive lighting engine on a PS3, then I would've mistaken it all for CGI.

Honorable mentions:

Yosuke from Persona 4 and Mitsuru from Persona 3.

Knuckles from Sonic the Hedgehog games.

Vincent from Silent Hill 3

Captain Lineback from Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Henry from Fire Emblem Awakening

Day 20: Most favorite sidekick character?

GoombarioPortraitPM.png

Goombario from Paper Mario

While not the most powerful member of Mario's party in terms of big-time damage dealing, (Bobbette and Watt come to mind) Goombario certainly is a charming sidekick character in the game, especially since he's the first one properly introduced and joining Mario on his quest when he sets off for real. He's a big fan of Mario, which obviously explains his name, and has a whole family to boot too. Very energetic and kind of ironic for a Goomba of all people to idolize Mario, the guy who stomped about 60% of their population over the years, but eh, the guy doesn't seem too concerned with that, and he's knowledgable.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ That reminds me actually, was so focused on Luigi in the Paper Mario games, forgot to mention that I really like Goombella in TTYD.  She had a refreshingly modern personality and speech style like I hadn't really seen in a Mario game before and was totally cute to boot, as far as Goombas go lol.

I hope most passionate Paper Mario players know what I mean by this, but she was totally my "cut-scene partner", the one who I would have out whenever I knew a big cut-scene was coming up and thus my current partner would be doing a bunch of talking on Mario's behalf.

• Thumbs Up 1

Going to have to keep this short since I'm quite run down tonight.

5252359344_656b3ee0c9_z.jpg

Sully

It's not an adventure without Sully. Despite his age, Sully is still quite the explorer and adventurer, when he and Drake are not outsmarting pirates, they're escaping a burning building whilst cracking jokes and smoking a cigar. 

Sully is quite an amazing character who has had quite a bit of backstory which suggests there's tons of tales he's yet to tell. 

If a wisecrack or a put down won't make enemies back down, his ability with firearms will. He's one hell of an old dog that's still teaching new tricks.

Ni-no-Kuni-Drippy-300x281.jpg

Mr Drippy

Mr Drippy is Olivers toy teddy who has come to life. Drippy is one hell of an awesome companion to have, he's funny, wisecracking and he has magic powers, well he is High Lord of the Fairies!

And when you're proving yourself to be a wizard, he steps back and cheers you on from the sidelines. 

=======

There's another character I kinda like a lot too because she's quite awesome and it's from one of my favourite games... only I'm kinda tired and probably should leave it there and well I just....

1767361-catherine8.jpg

Katherine

*Tiny love heart*

• Thumbs Up 3

DAY 20 OF PRESIDENT CROW RESPECTING DOSE SIDE CHARACTERS!

Kind of like Day 19 I can't choose but they both come from the same series thankfully.

Rachel_Alucard_28Continuum_Shift2C_Chara

Rachel Alucard!

Rachel Alucard is the vampire heir to the Alucard House. She is also a powerful observer, meaning she can only observe events that happen in BlazBlue but is unable to actively change the outcome of them by being involved. Because of this and the fact that the story is about Ragna, she's just a character who's stuck in the sides but occasionally gives Ragna and other characters advice in the story. She's actually one of my favorite characters in the series, if not my most despite having such a limited role in the story. She's a very entertaining character to say the least and adorable to boot. Due to her high class upbringing she's very sarcastic as a result, often teasing Ragna to point that he can't stand it. But despite that she's really looking towards Ragna's and the other heroes interest and does what she can to support them. She also has a very unique fighting style where she uses the wind to enhance her game as she's a character who throws various projectiles and zones a lot. She doesn't fight directly either, using her two familiars in an abusive yet hilarious way. She's a great character I must say and I'm glad I picked her up in Blazblue first thing. All hail our vampire princess!

As for the other character...

Amane_Nishiki_28Chronophantasma2C_Charac

Amane Nishiki!

Amane is one of the newer characters introduced in ChronoPhantasma and he's a guy in a pink kimono who drills people with the said kimono. His fighting style is him dancing around and throwing his kimono sleeves around. Amane despite his introduction to the series in the newest game, he has the smallest role in the series. He only seems to appear out of random and fights the characters he meets which include Ragna, Bang, and Bullet. He's basically looking to add Carl Clover to add to his troupe but he doesn't seem to succeed in the since Carl has other plans. But whenever Amane fights the other characters he usually gives advice as he tells Bang to figure out how to feel better and he tells Bullet to follow her instincts. However he seems to be friends with Rachel and seems to be a very powerful character despite his looks and might know more than he's leading on. However he's mostly in mystery, what he really wants is a stage of the ultimate fighters and dancers at the same time because he believes dancing is like fighting and vice versa. But for know Amane is still going to be mystery until we get the next game, the God of Dancing might not have his big role until then. But I really hope we see more of this characters since he's very hilarious and entertaining.

Ps. He's based off kabuki theater and its history which I fondly studied before which was my main interest in picking up Amane and I wasn't disappointed. Its an interesting subject to say the least but man Amane is so hilariously awesome that I wouldn't mind studying kabuki theater again.

UNTIL NEXT TIEM SSMB!

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 20

Favorite Side Character

grimoire-weiss_zpsead2d571.png

Neir

Grimoire Weiss

Weiss is a book, a powerful book that can talk, but a book nonetheless.  He's your buddy in monster hunting, and he's supposedly the one who's supposed to defeat a certain Grimoire Noir and the Shadowlord.  He's a book though, so he can't really do it alone, but with him on your side you're able to perform all sorts of strong magic to beat monsters with.

He thinks himself to be above most others (you'd better address him by his full name), but he's a reliable source of information and a pretty good friend and that friendship really starts to pay off mid-game when you first come into contact with Grimoire Noir.

But I love the conversations Weiss has with everyone.  He works well with the protagonist because Weiss doesn't understand humans at all, and the protagonist is just a pretty ordinary father who does odd jobs for a living.  I particularly liked during a side quest near the beginning of the game where the protagonist tries to explain to Weiss the difference between sheep and goats, and Weiss wittily replies that people all look different, yet they're referred to as humans.  Weiss gets into several arguments with another side character named Kaine, frequently referring to her as "hussy" because of how she dresses and how rude she is to almost everyone.  Despite that though, he still manages to accept whatever advice she may give and eventually warms up to her enough to call her a friend too.  He gets along well with Emil though, but Emil's generally well mannered and easy to get along with.

I just love Weiss, he's witty and charismatic and a good friend despite his views on life and his inflated ego.  At first I tried to do as many side quests as possible because I wanted to hear every little bit of dialogue he had to say.  He's just so interesting to listen to, but then the monotonousness of the quests themselves got to me and I kind of stopped.

I thought about using Edgeworth for yesterday's answer, but I wasn't really sure if he classified as an "antagonist". If anything he's more of a PROtagonist since he had a couple spin-off games, but as far as the main Ace Attorney series goes he's usually just given a cameo or small role after the first game, aside from his one moment in the playable spotlight. So I guess "side character" fits the bill.

>The stunning realization that I could've picked Edgeworth three times in a row.  Truly, he is the best.

• Thumbs Up 3

I have three characters in mind...

Barret-FFVIIArt.png

Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy VII)

Big scary black terrorist on the outside, lovable sweet caring father and friend in the inside. A man who's not afraid to spit on the President and cry his heart out  for his comrades.

I like this man.

paper-mario-yoshi-h1n-net.jpg

Yoshi (Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door)

Literally born as a fighter, this little guy with a perpetual confident look in his eyes is scared by NOTHING. Not even the Shadow Queen can break his spirit and his will to stay by the side of his hero and inspiration, The Great Gonzales (better known as Mario outside of the Glitz Pit)

...actually, there is one thing that can break him a little: goodbyes.

1_zpsc76887ce.png

2_zps6db2643d.png

3_zps9df2d88c.png

4_zps657bffdc.png

5_zpsa16e605a.png

I adore this dinosaur.

And last but not least.

Tails_in_Sonic_Lost_World.png

Miles "Tails" Prower (Sonic the Hedgehog)

Little brother/best friend of Sonic.

Mechanical flying prodigy.

Brave enough to jump in the way between his friends and danger.

And most of all...

as Classic or Modern, as a western cartoon or as an anime, he's always the most precious and adorable creature in the universe.

I absolutely love this fox!

Favorite side character hmm? This counts, doesn't it;

StPatYoshi.jpg

Yoshi - Mario series

Now here's a character I've been a fan of for years. I mean, what's not to love about this awesome dino? I like how's he's always willing to help carry Mario and friends places without the slightest bit of complaint. It really showcases a selfless attitude. Plus, he's actually pretty freaking adorable and the character I always go for in spin-off games like Mario Kart and Mario Party. He's also one of my mains in the Smash Bros. series and he has pretty unique abilities.

I made a joke about Day 20 being best waifu, but best best side character works for that too.

eme_skye_by_1_kilometer-d47b4q9.png

Ema Skye. Specifically in AA4 where she's not a shitty one-shot Maya stand-in.

This girl got fucked over in life tbh, first everyone she loves is dead and then she doesn't get her dream job as a forensic scientist.

And it shows in AA4, her attitude is basically "nope don't care" or "shut up" the whole game.

7.gif

Except when it comes to science.

Mention science around this lady and she'll go frum grumpy poop to giddy little girl in an instant.

On several occasions in the game she just tells the Forensics team to go fuck themselves and does all the forensics work before they even get to the scene behind their back, and it perks her up each time.

2-804-01.jpg

also she's a total cutie

TIME FOR SNACKOOS

skye-snacks(ja).gif

• Thumbs Up 4

17_-me-_mass_effect_oils_tali_-by_sean-d

Counting both as a squadmate and as a love interest, Tali's relationship with the protagonist is easily the most natural of the Mass Effect side characters. Tali is essentially only just becoming an adult in ME1, and Shep is like her big brother. In ME2, Shepard hasn't aged at all but Tali has two years being a decisive leader, and has become her own person. She has matured, and Shepard can see that change and falls for the person she is becoming, developing the friendship organically into a romance. Yet she still has the fears that he views her as a child.

After the Collector base, she has become an admiral, a real leader to her people and a fully-fledged person with her own personality, no longer held back by the perception that Shep only views her has the hacking kid she was when they met. Their relationship is an adult one, even with the flirting itself, the sharing of each other's worries and heartbreaks in the spoken side. That's what I find particularly interesting in this development; Tali is not just an interesting character by herself, but her relationship with the main character has evolved alongside it. That's how side characters should develop in games, as well as romance when such option exists in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 20: Iroquois Pliskin (Metal Gear Solid 2)

20447_plisgin.jpg

This mysterious infiltrator helped you out in Metal Gear Solid 2 and mysteriously vanished around the same time Solid Snake appeared. Who was this helpful compatriot? We may never know.

In all seriousness, what makes Snake so interesting as a side character is that he isn't the main character. All of Metal Gear Solid 2's trailers, promotional material, box art and even the opening sequence of the game made clear that this would be a continuation of Snake's story. So when Kojima suddenly pulled out the rug and threw us into the body of some random bishie that slips on birdpoop, people were kind of confused and estranged. But we were quickly introduced to Iroquois Pliskin, who confused matters even further by clearly being Snake but not explicitly. Was this another clone? An imposter? Just an honest look-a-like? Only time will tell.

Throughout the game, Pliskin acts as a helpful compatriot and mentor by cooperating with you on missions and telling you things the colonel wouldn't. And when the time is finally right, he reveals himself to be the one and only Solid Snake. And the context of this reveal is important. During this scene, you're naked and vulnerable and Snake comes along to give you your clothes, your weapons and even a katana. And then he invites you to fight with him, and not to worry about him and his "infinite ammo." Throughout the following segment it seems like you're the sidekick.

Here's where Snake's role in this game starts to come together. We wanted to play Snake because we wanted to be a hero. By rendering him as a side character, our attention is brought to how much we're not him- that without this fictional avatar, we're vulnerable. Seeking meaning from a mere simulation. It's a harsh message to come out of such a campy game, but this game wouldn't have made such a big impact if it weren't for this relationship.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 20-Favorite Side Character:

YoshiMarioParty9.png

Yoshi-Super Mario series

A dinosaur with the loyalty of the dog and intelligence near on par with humans.  With the ability to eat practically anything, even fire, Yoshi is there to get Mario and Luigi through the toughest challenges. He's so great that he even got his own spin-off series, most of which he and his clan are protecting Baby Mario and Luigi from Kamek and a pint-sized Bowser! In the main games, eat enough and even even lays an egg with a helpful item! Who could ask for a better partner when taking on the Koopa Troop?

Day 20: The support characters deserve some love too!

I'm trying to resist the urge to pick yet ANOTHER character from a friggin' fighting game, but since I play so many, then I end up liking a lot of them. Examples:

Sakura, Elena and Makoto from Street Fighter

Seung Mi-Na from SoulCalibur

Akira from Rival Schools

Hitomi from Dead or Alive

Julia and Michelle Chang from Tekken

and many more.

After lots of deliberation, I decided to go with:

Jubei_%28Story_Mode_Artwork%2C_Normal%29

REN'S FAVORITE SIDE CHARACTER: JUBEI (BLAZBLUE)

Gah, two repeats in a row. No biggie.

So, it's safe to say that I'm somewhat of a fan of the "Old Master" trope. I enjoy wise characters with great strength or a tremendous and/or heroic background. Of course, Jubei fits both of those categories. He doesn't get too active in the present timeline of BlazBlue (save for a few moments, especially in Chronophantasma), but instead acts sort of as a guiding hand for many characters. He'll usually just pop up out of nowhere and drop some knowledge. Sounds kind of not-special, but what he says is usually on-point and helps the characters out with whatever crap they're in. He doesn't operate with force (as long as he's not talking to Terumi of course), and lets the character exhibit their free will.

Okay, there's the whole wisdom thing, now how about the strength part.

For starters, Jubei's old as hell, well over a hundred, age barely dented him. As background, Jubei was a member of a collective known as "The Six Heroes" who defeated the Black Beast, the creature responsible for nearly wiping out humanity. That already sounds impressive by itself. Nowadays, Jubei's not as strong as he used to be, but he's nothing to sneeze at. He still has great speed and power (one example would be him delivering the final blow in Taokaka's Astral Finish)

I still kinda wish he'd be playable for once, mainly because of how much I like him as a character. But yeah, Jubei's cool.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 20: Favourite Side Character

Luigi, undoubtedly.

Luigi_MPDS_Artwork.jpg

He's got far more personality than his brother thanks to games such as Luigi's Mansion, and generally he feels more developed in his personality and traits. Also, his abilities, in my opinion, surpass Mario's (besides his traction) and overall if I have to choose between Mario and Luigi, I'll play as Luigi, thanks to his more interesting aspects.

Day 20 - Favorite Side Character

Gonna go with a Persona 3 character too, Junpei Iori.

pjnt0jJ.png

For most part, Junpei is just that goofy guy and that's what most people remember about him. That and being a total cunt to you during most of the game.

But why do I like him? Well, because he actually feels like someone you would know. Goofy, perverted and kinda jealous, but also kind and brave when needed.

Junpei starts of as carefree and light-hearted, always friendly and ready to help you, but as the story goes he becomes jealous of the protagonist. Behind that happy guy "mask" he hides some sad feelings like depression and anger, a result of his father's alcoholism, bad grades and apparently not being good at anything. This kinda changes when he moves to the dorm, joins the team and finally finds something he can say that he's good at, fighting shadows.

This moment of happiness ends as soon as he realizes that the protagonist is better at everything and always gets the credits. For most of the game he'll act kinda distant to you until he meets Chidori and certain events happen, making his personality undergo some serious changes.

By the end of the game, Junpei is yet again back to his old self but at the same time a totally different guy. If you only played the Answer you would say that he his the most down to earth person of the group.

I really liked to see him change during the course of the game and nowadays he is one of my favorite character from the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Right, day 20.

I'm going to have to say Luigi for this. Luigi, for me, has always been the more interesting, likeable and developed Mario Brother. To me, Mario sees no further character than lead hero who save the day. Luigi, thanks to his spin-off games and appearances in other media and games, see traits of fright, bravery, determination, emotional... So forth. Also, Luigi is more fun to play as, as Mario is the middle character where as Luigi has better jumping, giving him that boost. (Generally why I don't play Mario often in the games where I have a choice.) Also, his voice is great and shows us his cowardly, frightened self at times in a strong way.

Okay, day 20.

Favourite side character...

Gonna go with Spaz Jackrabbit, really funny design. Nowadays a company would not get away with introducing a character with his visual style and giving it that name lol. A product of his time, a bygone era. But he is not to be taken seriously in that sense. It is just s lighthearted joke. He is a cool character though, his derpy expression and kinda idiotic appearance make him a stark contrast to his uber cool older brother, which makes him work really well as a character.

Close second...would be Fondue from Rhythm Thief, proving that a dog really is a man's best/most loyal friend :)

And also feel the need to mention Brownie...the little misunderstood guy made of poop from Super Meat Boy.

...I'm sorry, I really am, but man I just can't help myself but answer with this guy:

zNqXU2h.png

Waluigi - (Super Mario Series)

This character has little reason to have been created, he's a counterpart for Wario, despite not even appearing in his actual games, and serves as a rival to Luigi. He screws things up, he actively tries to make others miserable, he's self-centered, and he just doesn't care about any of it. He's pretty much an anarchist. And by all practical accounts, his on-going presence in the Mario franchise is completely pointless. 

But man, that's what I love about Waluigi.

The fact that such a character can exist, the fact that such a character continues to exist, his personality, his vocabulary consisting mostly of "WAH", his awkward and lanky appearance, all together it's just a deliciously hilarious package. Waluigi's seriously the worst, but because of that, he's the best, man.

• Thumbs Up 7

sora__donald_and_goofy_by_legend_tony980

Donald and Goofy, the two very popular Disney characters show up as your sidekicks during your adventures in Kingdom Hearts. Sometimes as just characters, sometimes as your fighting back-up, but either way they're always super entertaining to see. Their constant developing friendship as time goes on is great to see - when they first all meet, Sora is nothing but a key to help find the king, but through adventures and comedic banter they become solid friends. Seeing them reunite at the start of Kingdom Hearts 2 is heartwarming, and I can't wait to see them come back as a trio once more in Kingdom Hearts 3. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Putting in spoilers yet again just to be safe (Game's Kid Icarus Uprising again, can you tell this game is one of my favorites) 

Viridi.png

Viridi from Kid Icarus Uprising

Really, all the characters in this game are well-written, but what I like about her is how in the grey area her morality is. She wants to save nature......by slaughtering all humans and returning the land to it's natural state. She's often one you can sympathize with when she talks about how bad humans are, but either way you have to stop her killing. But you can see her perspective and honestly aside from the human killing part it's a logical and somewhat sane one. Plus it's really cool when she becomes your ally to stop Hades later on down the line, even offering Pit her Power Of Flight when Pit's normal goddess is unable to offer it to him. I just love her.

Honorable mentions go out to Dark Pit and Phosphora, again, from Kid Icarus Uprising, and Knuckles and Tails from Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 3

25590-video_games_fire_emblem_awakening_

Chrom's Army - Fire Emblem Awakening

The extended cast is one of Fire Emblem Awakening's best or worst aspects depending on who you ask. The vast majority of them sit in stereotype territory, but it's extremely fun to watch them bounce off one another in support conversations because of it. Some paticular favorites of mine include Lon-quOlivia, Donnel, Anna, Cherche, Lucina, Noire, and Gerome. Yeah, they're shallow as all hell but they were loads of fun regardless.

89871.jpeg

Elizabeth - Bioshock Infinite

Elizabeth is the strongest aspect of Bioshock Infinite's story. Honestly, she's so vital to the story that I'm not sure if she counts as a side. She has the strongest, most natural feeling character arc in the game, and her badass powers make her a life saver in combat. 

2059854-groose_artwork.png

Groose - Skyward Sword

When Groose first came onto the scene, we all groaned. He was basically the generic rival/bully character that plagued a lot of Nintendo games. Everything changes when he follows Link down to the surface on a search for Zelda. Even though Groose is kind of a dick, he DOES care about Zelda, just like everyone else involved, so he decides to help you out. Throughout the rest of the game, he becomes gradually less dickish. Hell, by the end of it he builds a goddamned weapon to help stop the Zelda equivalent of satan from escaping from his seal and it fucking WORKS. Seeing him and Link bond to the point where he hugs him at the end was just endearing as hell too.

• Thumbs Up 8