Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Gee I am starting to get behind on this stuff, huh. Oh well

Favorite Controller 

ps2-controller.jpg

Ps2, of course. It's comfortable and easy to control!

Least Favorite Character

I'm pretty sure you people will say Bubsy or someone else ,but let me lay down the true worst video game character

102484-awesome-possum-kicks-dr-machino-s

It's good to want to be an environmentalist, but fuck Awesome Possum and his shitty game. He goes all throughout the level making shitty jokes and won't shut up. Bubsy had a similar problem, but unlike Bubsy, who only talks a couple of times, Awesome Possum talks EVERY FUCKING SECOND. Even when you go to the options and cut the voices off, he still talks. He desperately tries to be cool, when he's really fucking not.

Favorite Console Generation

6th/7th generation gaming is the one I grew up on. Good old PS2, Gamecube, GBA, DS and the like. It's certainly my favorite generation that will not be forgotten.

Day 26-Favorite Generation

Generation 6

Did you own a Gamecube AND PS2? Then you knew why generation 6 was so wonderful. Super Smash Bros. Melee, Luigi's Mansion, Monkey Ball, Wind Waker, Sunshine, Ratchet & Clank, Jak, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X, Devil May Cry, so many good games. TOO MANY GOOD GAMES. Add Xbox and you get the better versions of amazing games like Pyschonauts, and SEGA's continuation of classics like Panzer Dragoon and Jet Set Radio. This was the first time I had all 3 consoles, and the only time I really felt like I NEEDED all 3 consoles. Last generation I would have been ok with Wii and PS3, this generation I feel like I'm good with just my Wii U and a PC. Time will tell with that, but it's going to be hard to top Gen 6.

Day 26: Favorite Console Generation

todos-os-consoles-de-128-bits.jpg aps3_xbox360_wii.jpg

Toss-up between the 6th Generation and the 7th Generation

I'm torn. Because on the one hand, during the 6th gen, we didn't have to fight for our consumer rights against scummy companies, there was no Day 1 On Disk DLC bullshit, no bought-off PR from journalists, none of the bullshit that made Gen 7 significantly worse then Gen 6. Not to mention how many positively amazing games there were. But on the other hand, it was during Gen 7 that I truly got into gaming. Before, I was a "Casual" gamer who really only played Sonic. But during the 7th gen, I became much, much more into gaming, and now I'm here, a massive gaming nerd. And it was during the 7th gen that I experienced many of the games that made the 6th gen classic (which is why I hold it in such high esteem). Besides, like SuperLink mentioned, 7th gen was still pretty awesome before the BS REALLY started setting in. So in light of me not being able to decide, I choose both the 6th gen and 7th gen. I hope that the 8th gen can be good too, but the current offerings don't offer me much hope. Here's hoping it gets better. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, there are plenty of little things in each gen I've played. Out of all of the, I guess the overall best would be...

PS2-Versions.png

Sixth generation

Sure, I started off with the fourth generation with Sonic and some other Mega Drive classics, and I got my first big tastes of gaming with the Playstation and Game Boy Colour in the fifth generation, but the sixth, looking back, really felt like a magical time. The hardware that I got back then really felt new and exciting compared what came before, while allowing me to still have access to said old stuff (the PS2 and GBA were both backwards compatible). I got a whole bunch of games I still hold strong and fun memories of playing after saving up weeks of pocket money for them. And I got the Gamecube just as the seventh gen was starting to creep onto the horizon, so I still had fresh experiences to try even towards the end of the run. It was just one big happy generation. 

Day 26 : Favorite generation of console.

I have two actually :

megadrive.preview.jpg

The Mega Drive / Super Nintendo generation, because I grew up with that one (even if I started with a Master System II) and because it brought me great games like...

Rocket_Knight_Adventures.png

Sonic3-Knuxjerk.png

dynamyte-001.jpg

monster-world-IV.jpg

the_legend_of_zelda__a_link_to_the_past_

(and many more of course)

That generation defined my experience of gaming. I met most of my favorite heroes and ennemies. They brought me to their world. Every time I recieved a new cartridge (especially a Sonic one), it felt so magic.

The other one is the sixth one

The GameCube felt so magical, with games like Wind Waker, Resident Evil and Sonic Heroes. The Playstation 2 felt awesome because there are lots of games I love on it (Silent Hill 2-3-4, the Sly Cooper trilogy, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus... and I could play my PS1 games too !). The DreamCast holds a special place for me, I love this one !

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 26 - Favorite Console Generation

0TsJG3c.png

Going to have to parrot what everyone else was saying here and say my favourite generation is the sixth generation. There were a huge number of great releases that came about this generation across the various systems, and every system felt like it was worth considering at the very least. I'd list some but there are so many that I would end up going on for ages, but a lot of really unique and groundbreaking games came out during this generation's run. It also had what was arguably the largest jump in quality of graphical and musical quality in 3D gaming too, so it's also memorable for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 26: Favorite console gen

While the N64 is my favorite console, gen 6 works for me, I had a ps2 for my second system, and over the years I have managed to get all four of the consoles from that generation, They are all pretty good, and got their mix of gems, only have a few choice games on the xbox, and not really any of the ones I've been meaning to get, but not the funds, while I got a mix of this and that on the PS2, a nice mix of this and that, the Gamecube has some great Nintendo exclusives, while the dreamcast has a great mix of fighting games, and a good mix of other titles as well

but yeah, and hopefully that cuts it for those 10 days I was after

Day 26: Favourite console generstion.

Has to be Gen 6. It has 3 of the most memorable consoles of my life in it. The futuristic Dreamcast, which saw true revolutionery technology before others dreamed it (motion controls and dlc). The mighty Ps2, a console with a game range challenged by no other. Finally, the sexy Gamecube, a box of pure joy and wonderous memories. Each of these will live on forever.

Day 25 - Least Favorite Character

Forgot to do this.. I kind of said this in the status updates but not here so you might already know.

Terra from Kingdom Hearts.

580px-Terra_%28Art%29_KHBBSFM.png

He has bad acting, a bad story, and a bad voice actor. His role in the Kingdom Hearts series might be important but his character is by far the weakest in the series. Playing as him is boring and reminds you that being fast is FUN. His character is first in the story line order so it was easy to get out of the way. At least Disney/Square Enix could have given this guy a decent voice actor. His lack of emotion or real attempt at voicing is annoying.

Day 26 - Favorite Console Generation

ps3-dominates-wii-and-360.jpg

The Wii/PS3/360 generation was a bit odd. The Wii took a completely different direction. Instead of jumping graphically, it jumped revolutionary. By focusing on how to play games instead of the look of games, the Wii was able to find large success. The Wii Remote brought in more motion controls such as the PS Move and Kinect. The Wii Remote while early in its life didn't do too much, it did wow a lot of people. "I'm playing tennis!"

When the Motion+ came out, that's when games started to have real potential. Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resort showed how motion controls can greatly enhance a game. Later on, this mechanic would be used with the Wii U in NintendoLand and Pikmin 3.

The Wii had a lot of great games. Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros, Zelda, Metroid, and more. The PS3 also had a lot of great games later in its life such as Uncharted and Last of Us.

Another great thing I liked about this generation was the jump to online. You were no longer limited to a small group in Smash Bros, you could jump online and play with others. You can also make your own persona and communicate with each other. This would later expand to include services such as web browsing and Netflix. It was no longer just a gaming machine, it was an entertainment machine. This would change the perspective of gaming systems by being more than a video game device.

Day 26: Favourite Console Generation

Ouch. This is going to be at least between 3 different types of generation (Generations 4, 6 and 7 even though I was only at the end of the first one and for a different reason end of the last one). Before I choose my favourite, out of curiousity will explain the other generations and will end up being a long post since playing games since the mid 90s.

The first two generations are mostly unappealing to me and basically most of the games are for historic reasons as in just to look at the information since some of them are very hard to look, have dodgy controls and sometimes having no idea what to do in the game due to lack of experience in games. Only a few games from that era that not only play but also enjoy and they are all arcade games such as Pac-Man, Donkey Kong [my favourite of that era], Mario Bros, Pac-Land, Elevator Action, Super Breakout, Punch-Out and an unemulatable one Monaco GP [have to do with the SG-1000 port]. Only one from that era that I enjoy that can be played at home was Horace Goes Skiing on the Spectrum. Now the 3rd Generation was better since graphics have improved however it is very hard to play NES games for me due to graphical glitches (sorry Super Mario Bros. 3 original version) and still have control/collision detection problems so it is selected NES and Master System games. Master System games looking better but not as many games and not as many games appealing to me even though the Sonic games, Wonder Boy 3, Alex Kidd in Miracle World and a few others are pretty great. Even then it is the arcade games that I would rather play such as Hang-On and Space Harrier, OutRun, Super Hang-On, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Dynamite Dux and Power Drift.

While I grew up in the 5th Generation of games until the end and have some very strong memories of both the PS1 and the N64 (sorry Saturn, while I did want the console as soon as my interest happened, the console was declared dead on national TV on a gaming programme saying Steep Slope Sliders will be one of the last games on the system), it is one that can be looked back but clouded by memories and experimentation of learning to do 3D graphics. Looking back the PS1 had some iffy 3D graphics with some games looking better than others but ran decently while the N64 looked a bit better however had a blur or poor visibility but ran at a lower frame rate with slowdown. Like the others, the arcade still provided a better graphical experience even though the console games provided plenty of content. It is weird since I can go back on many PS1 and N64 games without many problems and enjoy the games however it is hard to explain towards a younger generation how appealing the games are. Also I can't say about the 8th Generation since I've decided to retire from catching up from games and many games now are getting less appealing to me and it is unfair to judge a generation by what is going to be 11 Wii U games [9 now, Mario Kart 8 + free game], the 3DS and the Vita while people are enjoying the PS4 and the Xbox One.

WXEW4uB.jpg

The 6th Generation (Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Gamecube, Xbox) [Not quite to scale even though the GC is smaller than the Xbox, the largest console of the 4]

It was really close between the 4th Generation, the 6th Generation and the 7th Generation. The Mega Drive is one of my favourite consoles ever made with the SNES being pretty good (not as good in Europe compared to Japan and the US due to less localised games) and the PC Engine from what I played having good games too but didn't really come out in Europe apart from importing, really happy with the PS3 and still getting games to look forward to such as GRID Autosport even though the online has been switched off affecting DLC on many games and a changing culture.

What makes the 6th Generation special to me is that I actually have all 4 consoles. Yep. The Dreamcast, the PS2, the Gamecube and the Xbox all that have their strengths and weaknesses so it more fairer to talk about my favourite console generation as all 4 consoles have games worth getting. In terms of the generation though it was like bowing out of the arcade gap and evolving into its own thing since the Dreamcast had games very close to their arcade versions and even had extra stuff too, the decline of arcades started and developers focused on more console games. Graphics were much better than the 5th generation since they started to match arcade games and even within a generation showed graphical improvement with the Gamecube and more so the Xbox. The Xbox in a way felt in between 6th and 7th due to that it also had an hard drive, DLC and online accounts that became standard at the 7th. It wasn't just about the graphics and the increased file space (1GB for the DC, a bit more for the GC, a DVD disc for the PS2/XB so around 4.8GB) but the other features too such as a larger push for online multiplayer even if in some countries didn't get there until the 7th generation. Another thing was more types of genres became either more easier to work with (FPS, Racing, selected sports, larger 3D platformers/action adventure games) or even became possible such as open world (GTA, Getaway, True Crime, Simpsons Hit and Run, also Midnight Club and Need for Speed: Most Wanted for racing) as well as introducing new mechanics such as QTEs and later on camera control via the right analog stick into the generation. It also started to show some change; developers who came from computer backgrounds such as Bungie, Milestone, Epic, Starbreeze, Bioware and even Valve worked on console games as well as the usual suspects (Sega, Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, Namco, Tecmo/Koei, Square-Enix, Eidos, Codemasters, EA and starting to get popular Ubisoft) working on their games with Rare hopping from Nintendo to Microsoft.

The games. Oh yes, the games. Now one of my entries of this thread was OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast that is my favourite game, That game came out on tail end of the 6th generation but that isn't the only reason why this generation is my favourite since one game causes an interest but a bucketload of quality games cements and seals the deal. It is going to be split into two, the games that I played as a teenager and still like and games that I got from 2013 onwards that I enjoyed. Apart from OutRun 2006, I also really liked Sega Rally 2, Metropolis Street Racer, Confidental Mission, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Simpsons Hit and Run, Daytona USA 2001, Virtua Cop Elite Edition, Capcom Arcade Collection Volume 1, Sly Cooper 1, Sly 2, 007 Nightfire, Virtua Tennis (got me into this series), Midway Arcades Treasures 3 that also included San Francisco Rush 2049 and Hydro Thunder, GTA 2, GTA 3 (got on PC, later got Xbox version), Crazy Taxi, Rayman 2, Sonic Adventure (not as much now though), Luigi's Mansion, Looney Tunes: Space Race, Silent Scope 2: Fatal Judgement, Bonanza Bros and Virtua Racing from Sega Classics Collection, Time Crisis 2 & 3, Sonic Gems Collection, Gran Turismo 3 and Concept, Soul Calibur 2 and playing on the bonus disc of Wind Waker. Also had demos of Tokyo Highway Challenge 2, Jet Set Radio and various other games that I've enjoyed. At the time also played Star Fox Adventures and Super Mario Sunshine but unsure whether they hold up today if I get to replay them, also played Sonic Heroes but sadly didn't enjoy it. Even had the privilege to play Sega Bass Fishing with its fishing rod, 18 Wheeler and Shenmue, that were interesting experiences.

2013 onwards also adds some extra games to the list including Burnout 3, Project Gotham Racing, TimeSplitters 2 (it plays like GoldenEye so far smile.png ), From Russia with Love, The Godfather, Max Payne, GTA: Vice City, Super Monkey Ball Deluxe, Jet Set Radio Future, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, RalliSport Challenge, Midtown Madness 3, Forza 1, Crazy Taxi 3, ToeJam & Earl 3, Blinx: The Time Sweeper, Lego Star Wars II, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Silent Scope Complete (all three games on one disc), Pro Evolution Soccer 5, NBA Street 2, SpyHunter and Street Fighter III: Third Strike. These are out of the ones that I have played and there's still Halo, Headhunter: Redemption, Dead to Rights, Chronicles of Riddick, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (NeoGAF is really hyping this one up), Star Wars: Battlefront, Everything or Nothing, Freedom Fighters, SSX 3, the legendary Richard Burns Rally (still considered one of the hardest and more realistic rally games to be ever made), Psi-Ops, Crimson Skies and some more plus more of XIII, Medal of Honor: European Assault, Ninja Gaiden and Panzer Dragoon Orta to play.

There are also some 6th generation games that I'm enjoying the HD ports of such as the Ratchet & Clank Trilogy, God of War and looking forward to playing the Devil May Cry HD trilogy pack (even if people say avoid 2 like the plague but will try it for my own opinion), Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, Resident Evil: Code Veronica and Beyond Good and Evil.

Even then there was something for nearly everyone in terms of video game tastes in that generation (the 7th generation also nearly had something for everyone as well). The reason why not everyone is because of a possiblity of a genre or a style that wasn't available in the generation. Shoot em ups whether they are ports or collections, check. FPS whether single player or multplayer focused, check. Racing games whether it is arcade, arcade style, open world or simulation, check. Action/Adventure games, check. Platformers of both 2D [via collections] and 3D, check. RPGs, check. Strategy games, check. Sports games of both arcade and simulation, check. Light gun games, check. Fishing games with a fishing rod, check. Fighting games, check. Tactical FPS, check. Tactical RPGs, check. Adventure games, check. Music games, check. Beat em ups that were a niche at this point, check but there weren't many. Quirky games that are hard to describe, check. There were even Irish sports games in the 6th generation published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (it wasn't very good but it is possibly the only video games of them) so it appealed to the nichest of demographics.

Even though history showed that the PS2 was the victor of the generation and of a landslide per portion, looking at the libraries of all 4 consoles as well as the GBA, the Neo Geo Pocket Colour and the Wonderswan for portable gaming, each console had a variety of games and even the lesser sold consoles such as the Dreamcast and the Gamecube have a following today remembering all the great games that came out on the systems. So really in terms of games enjoyment, everyone won and no one lost. For retro gamers and arcade players, there were also choice of various ports and compliations to choose from. None of the consoles really had a weakerling with only a few games or few localised games compared to the other consoles (e.g. PC Engine at the 4th, N64 and Saturn in the 5th, currently Wii U at the 8th), sort of like the 7th in a way again making it hard to choose due to having good 3rd party support or a good selection of 3rd party developers on the consoles (DC had a fair amount except EA for its short life, PS2 had the most, GC had a good selection with Capcom/Sega exclusives even EA supported them and put Mario into their sports games, Xbox had good Western 3rd party support but weaker on the Japanese front despite Sega/Tecmo exclusives). While the Xbox is slightly more forgotten compared to its Xbox Live past, it has started to get some interest.

In terms of the timeline, my first 6th generation games are Sonic Adventure/Sega Rally 2 (September 1999) and my last is Need for Speed: Carbon (November 2006) that is also the last Xbox game to be released in the UK/most of Europe along with Call of Duty 3 even though I didn't get them on those dates. The Dreamcast ones were a year later and Need for Speed: Carbon was last year. It started with the DC, DC finished in 2001 (magazines stopped printing was a clue) so bitterly went to the PS2, got the GC at 2002, GC was dropping support by 2005 and continued gaming on the PS2 with a few good games however knowing that it caused an monopoly. Strangely after the 6th generation and after playing Sly Cooper to its enjoyment, I lost interest in gaming until 2012 despite was interested at first on the Wii that dropped due to a Wii Sports demo. It could have also been burnout of playing games, how the PS2 at the time saw how it got rid of the Dreamcast and the Gamecube felt hard to trust an non-handheld console until the PS3, another interest was on the way that disappeared causing me to go back to gaming. Looking back now, it was a bit silly of a PS2 grunge apart from Sly Cooper even though some of it was lacking awareness of the games (e.g. Devil May Cry, Ratchet & Clank series) and mentally wasn't into the Hitman games at the time either.

Something interesting happened regarding this generation. I had a little bit of an interest of the Xbox aka the only 6th generation console that I missed out and did some research on the games as well as the console. It turned out that the console wasn't emulatable unlike the other 3 so with that in mind plus quite a fair bit of the games appealed to me and ended up getting one locally fairly cheaply (was only 30 for the console, 12 games and two controllers) that came with some games including some for some reason have a high price tag online/stores such as Simpsons Hit and Run, Sonic Heroes (even though I have them both on the GC), Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Burnout 3 and Revenge as well as cheaper ones such as Colin McRae Rally 3, F1 2002, MotoGP 1 & 2, Project Gotham Racing 2 and a few others. Played Burnout 3 and I missed out on a lovely console due to a combination of the price of the console at the time and a TV programme Watchdog saying that the console catches fire.

Next thing I did from around August last year was starting to buy Xbox games since they were pretty cheap to buy due to lack of demand compared to the Gamecube games, way before the GAF started a thread about the Xbox of its Box of Doom and Lack of Emulation and a small interest of people buying Xbox games started. Some were easy to buy such as Halo 1 & 2, Project Gotham Racing, the Splinter Cell series, Rainbow Six 3, most of the Midnight Club games, Max Payne 1 & 2, TimeSplitters 2 while some took nearly a miracle to find such as Outrun 2006, Operation Winback 2 (my 2nd most expensive game but it was new and it was Koei), Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix, a complete version of Dead or Alive Ultimate, some Sega games and weirdly Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. Concidentally the first 3 all came out in 2006, its last year in my country. Have over a 100 Xbox games now with a few that are failing/not working and two that are brand new.

It wasn't just Xbox games that I bought, I also bought Taz Wanted on the Gamecube as well that I enjoyed and my dad found me a Ratchet & Clank 2 disc on the PS2.

I am still buying 6th Generation games to this day, today I bought myself Dynasty Warriors 5 and Star Wars Battlefront on the Xbox. All I want now is Deadly Skies, Genma Onimusha and Sonic Riders that will content me with games. Smashing Drive and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x are bonuses but since they weren't released in Europe, ironic in the case of Smashing Drive can understand if I don't get to play them (play it again for Smashing Drive) but would be nice to have.

Day 26! Favourite Console generation!

I want to say fifth gen, but I didn't own as many game consoles nor was I much of a real gamer back then (I was only 7 or 8!). We had a PSone and a Gameboy but other than that I didn't play too many games on it nor did we have an N64. I wanted that console SO much but of course my parents said no. 8(

But it was the sixth gen, my teenage years, when I really became a gamer and started to play on more consoles and more games! I had a PS2 since 2001 with games like GT3, Jak and Daxter and Kingdom Hearts so for a while I was definitely more into Sony games thanks to the PSone era. However when I saw what the Gamecube was like, since my friend had one and we used to play it, I instantly wanted one because of the great exclusive games like Melee and Mario Kart and I begged my parents if i could have one. So finally in 2004 I bought my own Gamecube with SA2B and Donkey Konga. This was the first Nintendo home console I ever owned and I was not disappointed with it. Hell there was one point I actually played on it more often than my PS2! Games like Warioware, SA2B and Pikmin were great games that give me nostalgia everytime I play them today.

The sixth gen was a great era for videogames, not just on the PS2 side but also on the sadly underrated Gamecube side.

Man, hard choice. I'm gonna have to say...the seventh generation. I got my start with gaming in the sixth generation, with the PS2, and I have a ton of good memories with games from it (heck, my all-time favorite game is from that generation), but, I think I just have a bit more from the seventh.

The Wii and the PS3 are the systems from this generation I have, and I really love them both. The Wii's motion controls wowed young me a ton when I first experienced it, and man it just has so many cool games on it that I had good times with. It also introduced me a ton more to Nintendo stuff, which I kinda was with the DS also, but the Wii like kicked up me becoming a pretty big Nintendo fan. The PS3 was when I first experienced high-definition graphics in video games, and I thought it was nifty for that reason when I first got it. As time went along it gave me some gud times with gud games, so yeah man.

But yes, the seventh would be my favorite of the ones I've been around to experience, with the sixth being a close second.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day Numbero 26: The Frozone Throne: Ninja's "pack up those Ataris, Serp and Swift" Favourite Console Generation Ever!

TO5i6Uo.jpg

of course I had to go with this one.

The Sixth Generation of Video games, what to say but that it was some very Fantastic years for the Video Games, and one of the Most defining ones that still leaves its Marks to this very day.

Smash Bros Melee, F Zero GX, Devil May Cry 3, Metal Gear Solid 3, Halo, Classics and Milestones in Video game History released just about every other week, Not to mention The Rise and Tragic fall of Clover Studios, and of course the Rise of Steam and first couple proper forays into Online Gaming on consoles.

its a Generation that very much defined my childhood as much as the SNES/Genesis years did, and a Gen I will hold very dear to my Heart.

MCf47QL.jpg

the Seventh Gen of Video games was quite a odd beast I would say.

for one it defined Online Gaming and, unfortunatly, abused it for all its worth as many of you may know, however controversies aside, I still am going to fondly remember this Gen.

DS and Wii both had a fantastic Libary of titles at hand, many of wich are alltime favourites of mine now, such as Punch out for Wii, the Mario Galaxy Games and Donkey Kong Country returns

but PS3 and Xbox 360 had many great things to offer, such as the Rise of Platinum Games and their titles Vanquish, Bayonetta, and so forth, not to mention other Great stuff like Dead Rising and Red Dead Redemption and SF4 wich would lead to a renewed Interest into Fighting games, leading to Great stuff like Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat 9 and, a gen Later, Killer Instinct

furthermore its also during that time I got more interested in PC Gaming, after being more into Console gaming thanks to Great titles like TF2 and L4D2, so thats a cool thing tio have happened to me.

Honorable Mention goes to: The Fourth and Fifth Generations of Video games, both of wich also defined my childhood very much with Great titles such as the DKC Trilogy, MGS, rise of the Pokemon series and Smash Bros 64.

Kind of Honorable mention: the 8th Generation, its way to early to call it a favourite of mine yet I admit, however things are looking pretty cool so far with stuff like 3D World, X&Y, Wonderful 101, Killer Instinct, and Phantom Pain and Smash Bros Kerfluffle coming up, I'm hyped for that stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

My favorite console gen was kind of difficult to decide on, but in the end, I'm goin' with...

257nfav.jpg

Yep, the sixth gen. Not only was this era home to some of my favorite titles like Super Smash Bros Melee, Sonic Heroes, Kirby Air Ride, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire, and so on, but it also pretty much began my history as a game collector. For all of the previous home consoles that I had owned like the SNES and N64, whenever I got the next one, the older system and all of its games would be sold on Ebay or in a yard sale because of a combination of obsoleteness, lack of funds for the newer console, and limited space. The Gamecube was the first time that I defied that tradition and I still have my original system, ALL of the games that I've ever owned for it (Including those listed above), and even the silly peripherals like the DK Bongos, the DDR Mario Mix pad, and the Mario Party mic. Since then, not ONE of my consoles or the library of games for it has been sold again and I even rebought several that I DID sell, like the Dreamcast on a random Christmas and an N64 that I got from an auction in 2010. I owe a lot to this era for just being able to look to my left and see the last three gens of awesome Nintendo titles that I have complete access to even today. Couple that with all of the great games that released during it and you've got an overall amazing gen.

Day 26: Favorite Console Generation:

7th: Wii, Xbox 360, PS3

It feels like last gen was really just strong for each of the big 3. Each of them had some fantastic games released on their systems. Nintendo had two fantastic Mario platformers with Galaxy 1 & 2, as well as Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Microsoft expanded their online service and had some great exclusives like Dead Rising. Sony had some great exclusives too, with Uncharted (and I personally love Valkyria Chronicles). There were also some great multiplatform titles like Rayman, Mega Man 9 and 10, Dead Rising 2, Resident Evil 5 (yes, I just said it). While my favorite games of all time happen to be on the N64, I think overall the 7th gen had a more solid lineup of games. 

Qu8uOiP.jpg

The Sixth Generation

Now the Nintendo 64 was the console I grew up with and I loved every minute with it, but the combo of the GameCube and PlayStation 2 is a tough one to top. Such a huge variety of games during the sixth gen, I can't pick any other as my favorite. The Xbox gave us Halo, the GCN gave us Melee, Sunshine, and Luigi's Mansion, the Dreamcast gave us SA1, 2, and JSR, and the PS2 gave us just too many to list. It was just an awesome time to be a gamer.

TO5i6Uo.jpg

6th Generation. This is where I really started to play games that I actually wanted to play. In the past it had always been the games that my sisters wanted to play, but as they started to play less I started to get more say in what games we would buy. I got the Gamecube for my birthday when I was 8, finally giving me a system that I could call my own. I must have switched on and off playing Wind Waker and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle that whole day.

From the 6th Generation, I owned the Gamecube, PS2, and Game Boy Advance. To this day, these are still three of my favorite consoles.

Really not sure.

I really don't particularly know what to say, on the one hand, I love the PSOne/Saturn console generation for the fact it made gaming cool and it wasn't just 'me and my best friend' in my room playing games, groups of us would now game together and it was cool to do so.

The other thing is that it brought about the start of some very popular and long running series which I still really like and I still have good memories of playing Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil 2 & 3 and Die Hard Trilogy for the first time.

Then there's the PS2/Dreamcast era which was great because it actually felt like a huge step up from the last one, everything looked better and we had some utterly crazy new games. It was also the era which brought us Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil 4, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy X.

And don't forget, it was also supported by the increase in forum and message board popularity. So gaming was no longer a friendly hobby, it felt more like a movement with its own global culture.

And then I think back to the last one. 

This one was weird, I liked it, but I changed as someone who likes games, I started to demand more from them, I wanted them to be technically perfect, I wanted them to push technology as well as being fun, I started to notice when the textures where blurry and the frame rate in games started to ruin it if it dropped too much.

But then this generation brought things that I've never done before and previously wouldn't have dreamed of doing before. On-line gaming for instance, importing games is another huge thing.

It also brought about some new games which I love and I've tried genres which I never previously would have touched. 

As for an outright favourite, really not sure. I'm probably leaning towards the PSOne/Saturn era if only because I feel more excited thinking about it.

Why no MegaDrive era? Don't get me wrong I loved those days, but I was probably a bit too young to appreciate them.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a fallacy to include include handheld generations with console ones, since the two don't remotely line up (the "first" generation of cartridge handhelds lasted from 1989 to 1998, but the "second" one was only 3 years long) and the generations revolve entirely around Nintendo releasing new hardware rather than anything any competitors have done (whoever wrote with a straight face, repeatedly, that the Sega Nomad was a direct competitor to the Game Boy Color on Wikipedia is an incomparable idiot).

• Thumbs Up 1

Must admit that I've never given this one too much thought before.

Part of me wants to go with the fourth generation as the Mega Drive and SNES days hold a lot of nostalgia value for me. It was also what made me get into gaming to such an extent in the first place and a lot of my favourite games are from around that time period, but another part of me keeps coming back to the sixth gen and just what a huge leap it was compared to anything else that came before it.

The Dreamcast was quite an amazing thing at the time and we got so many unique and innovative games that were nothing like what had came before, and then the PS2 and Gamecube rolled around and started taking us even further forward into the full on 3D age.

It also introduced me to a lot of new concepts such as online gaming (on the DC at least and also PC stuff from that era if we're counting it) and it was when I started to import stuff and try out a lot of other genres that I hadn't really touched before. So I guess it made an impact in the sense that I started to expand my gaming interests and it's what got me into a lot of the stuff that I love now. And like Hogfather said, it was also around that time that the online culture started to grow in popularity and that in turn also introduced me to even more games as I was finally able to discuss them with a large group of people, whether it was just talking about our favourite games or getting suggestions from each other on what to try out next.

I also sort of skipped over the fifth gen there and do want to mention it as it was quite an incredible experience for me at the time. But I think the sixth gen had more of an impact on me on the whole.

So urm... yeah... I guess sixth is my answer, although it is quite hard to choose.

7th Gen: Wii, 360 & PS3.

I liked this generation. It had a lot of memorable games for me; Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Smash Bros, Dead Rising, Little Big Planet and more. But I think, in addition to completely original retail titles, this generation saw the beginning of improved online systems and digital distribution. There were some significant, well-made download-only titles and the introduction of services like the virtual console, XBLA and PSN for enjoying games new and old.

Well, I'm most familiar with the 6th generation, but I really don't have a favorite.

All the time, I'm going back through previous generations and discovering games I've either missed or never gave a chance. I just finished playing through Sonic Pocket Adventure, I'm working my way through Earthbound, and I'm looking forward to Mario Kart 8 on Friday. Each generation has different games and experiences to offer me, so I can't really decide on one. One day I might favor one generation over the other, but then turn around the next day and change my mind with the newfound knowledge of an undiscovered gem.

Day 26 - Favorite Console Generations

I LIKE THIS ONE

sonic-generations-_590x395.jpg

HAHA

But seriously folks, I'll go with Generation Six.

PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, GBA, Xbo- well I didn't have an Xbox but I didn't really care.  This generation was just wonderful.  Before then the gaming industry was leaning a bit more towards a "kid-friendly" attitude, at least speaking generally, while the seventh and current generations lean more heavily towards gritty action-y stuff.  The sixth generation is what I think had the best balance of these two extremes, particularly the Playstation 2.  The PS2 really shined in having a library with an equal amount of fantastic mature games (Silent Hill 2, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War) as well as just as many awesome kid-friendly games (Katamari Damacy, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank) and it really provided great experiences for pretty much all audiences.

Then there's the Gamecube with Melee, Metroid Prime, Lugi's Mansion and the like, the GBA with Minish Cap, Nightmare in Dreamland, and Zero Mission (which was the first game I ever bought with my own money, a nice memory), and of course the Dreamcast with Sonic, JSR, and a shitload of awesome fighting games.

Overall, variety is what makes this my favorite generation, an aspect I think it does better than all the others.

Day 26: Favorite Console Generation:

I have to take the "Old School" route for today, as the Fourth Generation of Video Game Consoles is my favorite. Consoles included the handheld gaming consoles such as the SEGA Game Gear and the Nintendo Game Boy as well as SEGA Genesis and Super Nintendo (SNES):

gEi7ZY7.png?1

9LkAnhF.png?1

Which the latter two dominated the fourth generation of video games with their rivalry, which I didn't care about as I had both consoles and enjoyed playing the both of them every much. Especially since gaming was so much simpler back then without online gaming and gimmicks everywhere. You just picked up your controller, played the game, and had a blast. biggrin.png

The fourth generation of video game consoles gave us some iconic games such as:

OqKc9yB.jpg?2

The Classic Sonic games, notably Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Games with incredible music, gorgeous colorful graphics and fun gameplay that still holds major appeal some 20+ years later in the video game world smile.png

n1gBM0l.jpg?1

Super Mario Kart. Yes, Mario Kart 8 is coming out later this week but it all started here in the fourth console generation with the Super Nintendo. It's been a staple in the Mario series for more than 20 years now with the various versions of the racing game over the years. happy.png

The fourth generation of video game consoles gave us some iconic characters as well including:

SCi7bWQ.png?1

Yoshi

MN1YXX4.png?1

Wario

wUvgMD8.png?1

Kirby

And of course:

qJhxq78.png?3

Sonic the Hedgehog

All of these characters made their debut in the fourth generation of video game consoles and they are still around currently at the eighth generation of video games for us to enjoy. smile.png

Very Honorable Mention goes to the Seventh Generation of video game consoles, which includes the Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, and my favorite console:

xMzKswC.png?1

The Nintendo Wii. I'll save the explanation for later in the instance that "Favorite Console" is a different upcoming question here. wink.png

And the Seventh generation contains my two favorite video games of all time:

Q0zFKIc.jpg?1

l0Id2W2.jpg?1

With a lot more fun games and gimmicks in between. smile.png

I had WAY too much fun making this post...

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 26

Favorite Console Generation

7th-gen-consoles_zpsb882f1c4.jpg

Generation 7

So, I was a young lad when the Gamecube, Xbox, and PS2 came out... I wasn't able to get all the consoles, nor was I able to actually buy games for myself.  It was kind of sad and depressing looking back on it.

However with the 7th generation I was able to start making those decisions.  No more "I'm gonna need to see an I.D. for that M rated game there", because bam, I have it right here you fuck.  I can drive myself to Gamestop, Walmart, Target, whatever to pick up whatever game I want.  I had the power.

So I spent that power playing all the games I missed from the previous generation, because backwards compatibility was a thing back then even if limited to a certain degree.  I pretty much got to experience two generations at the same time, and by the time I caught up I noticed that I missed out on a great deal of games from the 7th generation too, many of which are from the PS3 because I sort of jumped on that train late.  A lot of them are from the Wii too, since I jumped off that train early.  I've been introduced to a lot of genres I would have never thought about playing before, and it's just a blast all around.

At this point for me, there are too many games to play, and it's pretty much heaven.  We've barely started the current gen, and I'm still muddling through this massive backlog I've created for myself, and the games keep coming.

And coming.

And coming.

oh god make it stop

shut up, you're buying Persona 5 anyways