Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 30: Favorite ending

I already talked about all my favorite endings enough, though! *sigh*

Professor Layton endgames

Always bringing in an emotional twist to the storyline and ending on a climatic action chapter, Professor Layton always manages to get into this list in some way or another.

Wonderful 101

Thowing a bucket load of twist battles at you that always top one another, ending on a quiet note, then throwing you into a mock epilogue just before the credits roll is always a great thing for a video game. The credits music is quite beautiful, as well.

You know what ending I haven't brought up, though?

LEGOISLAND.jpg

Lego island's final mission

Throughout the entire game, you're busy doing side-quests that have no bearing on the story, helping out people just for the fun of it. However, if you build the helicopter next to the jail cell, and take an order from Papa Brickolini for a super spicy pizza, things get crazy. You find out that the Brickster, a bad dude who likes to take apart everything he sees and build it the way he likes, ordered the Pizza. If you give him the pizza, you find out that the ultra-spicy toppings grant him fire breath, which he uses to melt the lock on his jail cell. He escapes from the cops and nabs the helicopter, flying away to break apart all of Lego Island. Everyone goes into a panic, since without the helicopter, they have no way to capture him until they realize that Pepper has a skateboard, the fastest mode of transport on the island. You give chase to the Brickster, who is already tearing apart everything in an ambulance, and cause him to drop the parts to the helicopter. The police have built a police car at this point, but they're so incompetent they can't even tell where the Brickster is.

Therefore, in order to help the police capture the Brickster, you have to rebuild the helicopter, load it's guns with doughnuts and pizzas, and lead both vehicles towards each other by baiting a trail with their favorite foods.

Craziest final mission ever.

Day 30: Complete

The End...?

Day 30: "Finally, the adventure is over" Favorite Ending

Step up for an encore, Sonic!

Sonic Generations

Is it a big, elaborate ending full of emotional closure and a mighty triumph? Not particularly, but it doesn't need to be. It's a cozy little ending with some nice resolution (as well as a hint as to how classic Sonic eventually grows into modern Sonic) and a feel-good parting shot, with an ending that invokes the retro style of the likes of S3&K with its musical direction, and it benefits from it because of how pleasant it is. It's not a big bang, but it's a sweet showing for the 20th anniversary.

Agreed, the ending is always a satisfying one, and it's perfect fit for an anniversary game!

and now for one of the few endings I've acctually earned, that isn't Sonic:

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

It's always satisfying beating the Champion in a Pokemon game. And this one sticks out because it's the first one I beat, and ya know? Cynthia is AWESOME, and I just love how the ending credits give off the feeling that it was indeed a very long journey, and now you're going back to the place where it all began... Gives the proper emotional closure.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dawn of the Final Day: Favorite Favorite Favorite Favorite Favorite Favorite Ending

I believe I've already mentioned Wind Waker and Earthbound's endings in separate posts here, so that just leaves...

r72hi8.jpg

Okami

The end. After all the fun, all the hardships, Okami comes to a close in what may be one of the most satisfying finales I've seen in a game. The end here is, in ways, the yin to Majora's yang; all the characters you've befriended and helped come back for one final scene, one of my favorites in gaming. Is it a little cliche, a little cheesy? Certainly. But, like with Viewtiful Joe, earnestness wins out, and the game ends up as a reflection up to nature. Not all cliches are sore sights, and not all happy endings are arbitrary, and so Okami wins my pick for the final day.

Runners Up:

• Earthbound
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Super Mario 64
  • Telltale's Walking Dead
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Deadly Premonition
  • Thumbs Up 3

Day 30 - Favourite Ending

Going to have to mention Tearaway again for this.

The ending is amazing. Really touching as you become attached to the character throughout the game - so when he finally reaches you and unfolds to deliver his messages, it really is a unique experience. You get joy from the fact that he accomplished his mission/purpose but you feel sad that he has essentially disappeared in doing so. The experience of the message itself is unlike anything else I have ever gotten from a video game ever. Words can't really describe it, again touching, pulls on the heart strings a little, very powerful for such a game. And it seems to deliver and actual 'message/meaning' within the presentation, but I feel it is somewhat open ended and what you get from it may depend on who you are - so I won't describe exactly what I felt it was telling me underneath the surface message as that may affect your experience by making you expect or be pre-determined to interpret in a certain way or feel a certain way.

All in all though the game is pure unadulterated fun :) and a real one off. The developers did such a great job on it.

Day 30: Favourite Ending

Hmm I was going to say Okami for this one, but I have spoken about that game an awful lot, it's ending truly is a masterpiece to behold and it really touches you after the whole adventure you have been on.

However I'm going to choose another ending, one I have never actually seen myself, but have watched it on playthroughs.

The legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

This ending I feel just really wraps up the whole Legend of Zelda series at that continuity. You have finally defeated Ganondorf once and for all and the world of Hyrule is being flooded, ending once and for all, never to be seen again. It really feels like a definate end to that timeline and any games off of that have stayed true and explored different lands just like the King told you too.

That's why it's one of my favourite endings, because it's not only a really satisfying end to the game, but for what feels like an end to that piece of the series (although there are still 2 other timelines)

Day 30: The curtain fails, last call, credits roll, we've reached the end

Okay, this is a very unorthodox choice, but when I thought of this, I couldn't get anything else out of my mind, so my favorite ending would be:

guitarhero3.jpg

REN'S FAVORITE ENDING: GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK

Okay, so when you finish a damn music game with a battle with the Devil himself, with an ABSOLUTELY FUCKING AMAZING guitar-shreddin' version of The Devil Went Down to Georgia, you kinda start to feel on top of the world, especially when you beat him and then you get that last bit of a solo to rub it in his face ("I told you once you son of a bitch, I'm the BEST THERE'S EVER BEEN!"). The game then, instead of just simply saying "You Rock!" like it normally does at the end of a song, it straight up says "You're a Rock Legend!" and your fret board turns gold (y'know, like the song says, you beat the devil, you get a fiddle, or in this case, a guitar, made of gold). As your band watches the Devil fall back into the pits of hell, they roll away like the badasses they are. You think it's all over...until the loading screen (randomly) pops up with only two words: Good Luck.

As you're sitting here thinking "...why?" Then this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7zvCK8IGiY

Yep. You're introduced to one of the hardest, and also one of the most popular, songs in the history of Guitar Hero, Through the Fire and Flames. This is probably one of the best songs they could've picked for an ending. Such a frantic, intense song that's nothing short of absolutely epic. I'd say more about this song but it speaks for itself, dammit. Guitar Hero 3 did such a good job at making you feel like a badass while playing a plastic instrument.

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 30 - Favourite Ending

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.

The entire world have been saved as well as time. Sonic and Elise are together around that Flame. Elise doesn't want to forget what she experienced with Sonic, but he convinces her to sacrifice their adventure for the good of the rest of the world and she blows the flame. Then the festival occurs in Soleanna, Sonic is as curious as ever and want to see the event and dashes in the street. His speed generates some wind that takes off a feather from Elise's head, giving her a familiar feeling that she won't remember, while Sonic is on a roof and watches the events.

To this day I still love this ending, it's beautiful, poetic and sad at the same time. The CG is also very good and helps with the emotions.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 30: Favorite Ending

Sonic_unleashed_boxart.jpg

Sonic Unleashed

Sadly, I'll have to pull out Sonic again for this one. Unleashed is an extremely mixed game, and it has a good but not "best" tier ending...until the credits start playing Dear My Friend, which puts the ending in such a sad perspective. The sadness is intensified with pictures of Sonic and Chip on their adventure, but really the beautiful song Dear My Friend makes it and thrusts it to the heavens. 

Batman_Arkham_City_Game_Cover.jpg

Batman: Arkham City

Ending spoilers below:

Really this was kind of a shocking ending. Really you expected Batman to save Joker's life like the anti-killing superhero he is, but instead Joker attempted a surprise attack on Batman, which caused him to drop the cure that would work on both him and Joker. Batman had already drunk his half, so Joker, with no cure, actually died. Really this was a shock I did not expect, and Joker's voicemail song to Batman in the credits hit it home harder. 

Was a fun 30 days, I say! I'm guessing there's a bonus day though so I'll put my real "closing message" there. If there isn't, I'll edit it in here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Batman_Arkham_City_Game_Cover.jpg

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Ending spoilers below:

Really this was kind of a shocking ending. Really you expected Batman to save Joker's life like the anti-killing superhero he is, but instead Joker attempted a surprise attack on Batman, which caused him to drop the cure that would work on both him and Joker. Batman had already drunk his half, so Joker, with no cure, actually died. Really this was a shock I did not expect, and Joker's voicemail song to Batman in the credits hit it home harder. 

Was a fun 30 days, I say! I'm guessing there's a bonus day though so I'll put my real "closing message" there. If there isn't, I'll edit it in here. 

I think you mean Batman Arkham City and not Arkham Asylum! Didn't you read my post? tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

THE FINAL DAY: My Favorite Ending

All right, just gonna gush for this last one. My favorite ending for any video game so far is...

SONIC UNLEASHED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWtVSG_Z9Fo

Now, video game endings are always something that I hold as near and dear to me. As a wise reviewer once said, the ending is paramount. It has to feel satisfying in someway. It doesn't always have to necessarily be happy, but when it is, it can leave you with a really warm feeling. A feeling where you know you accomplished something. Where you're sad to see it go, but glad to have had that experience.

So what does this have to do with Sonic Unleashed? EVERYTHING.

Let me put you in Sonic's shoes for a minute. The aftermath of the Dark Gaia fight left you with a feeling of triumph. You and your new friend just defeated one of the most stubborn monsters you've ever faced. After finally reuniting the pieces of the world you love so much, you can take a breath of relief. The world is saved! But you're too tired to really party hard at the moment...You feel yourself falling into the hand of something welcoming, and it sends you flying a second later..You hear your friend say something, but you can't really hear it.

...the moment you come to, you're in a pretty familiar place: thousands of feet in the air and rapidly approaching solid ground. The dread takes over your body as you face plant once more. Lifting your face out of the ground again, you're surprisingly not as dizzy or shaken up as you were when it happened earlier. Maybe your face just got used to kissing ground? Who knows. Things are a little different this morning however, as you begin to look around.

You catch a glimpse of something you didn't expect, but it was probably nothi-  WAIT. Chip? Is that.... But it slowly fades away, leaving you with the necklace of he who once was. Just as you reach for it, you hear one last word from Chip. A goodbye that sticks with you as you arm yourself with his parting gift:

"I'll never forget you. I'll be here by you always. A part of the earth you tread."

That, right there, sent a gentle tear down my face when I first saw it. I had taken a liking to Chip, and it was sad to see him go. But I was happy to have spent so much time with him. I surely would never forget, and I'm certain Sonic wouldn't either. (Can I just say that I love endings that take place where it all began? These Book Ends are a great ending theme, and Sonic Unleashed pulled it off gorgeously.) That accomplished feeling creeped up once more on me when Sonic began running. Seeing Tails sweep by on the Tornado 3 and the two of them race off in the sunrise made me feel proud, and pumped. Following this, we had the credits sequence, which really brought it all home. Split off by three songs, we hit all of the themes in the game one by one. The high speed thrills came through in Endless Possibility, Dear My Friend addressed the heart and soul of a special friend, almost as if Chip wrote that to Sonic. And finally, we had the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra recap the game in it's own special way. The World Adventure went from a boisterous beginning to a more relaxed middle, and ended with climatic triumph.

After such an amazing adventure....you truly are the World Saviour.

64px-Sonic_Unleashed_World_Savior_achiev

It's been fun guys. Really fun. But all good things must come to an end. It was a pretty great ride, even if I got on the party bus a little late.

To many more gaming memories, SSMB!

- Zavok

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 30 - Favorite Ending

Ghost_Trick_Phantom_Detective_cover_art.

My favorite ending is from the lovely game pictured above, Ghost Trick.

However, Ghost Trick is one of the rare cases where the main character dies is one of the few things that isn't a spoiler, so I'm going put this under a spoiler tag for all the people who haven't played it yet.

Years before the day most of events of the game start, a man named Yomiel is brought into questioning for a crime he didn't commit, the person questioning him pushed too hard and it brought him to a state of hopelessness, the person left the room they were both in and left his gun there, Yomiel took the gun and escaped, during his pursuit from a detective named Jowd, Yomiel made it to a park and took a young girl named Lynne hostage in desperation.

Luck wasn't on Yomiel's side that day as a meteor fell from the sky and a piece of it pierced Yomiel's heart, however this meteor has the unique trait that all who die by it will gain special powers named Ghost Tricks, in Yomiel's case he has the power to control living beings including his own corpse, being able to move through telephone wires and it left his body in a state of not being alive yet not being dead.

Yomiel's life took a downhill turn after that day, with him having only one real friend after it, Yomiel teamed up with  an organization to get misguided revenge on all who "ruined" his life,  both being responsible for a good deal of the events you have to deal with during the current day.

In the current time, you play as a man named Sissel, who has the power to manipulate objects, move trough telephone wires and go back 4 minutes before a person's death and reverse it. Any ghost who is still conscious while Sissel saves them will still have memories of their death even after Sissel reversed them. Sissel has lost his memories and his main motivation throughout the game is finding out who exactly who he is,  a desk lamp named Ray taught him about his powers and told him he had only one night to continue existing, with a time limit imposed, Sissel worked as fast he can to get everything solved.

During his quest, Sissel is joined by a dog named Missile who also has Ghost Tricks, who shares Sissel's power to go back 4 minutes before a person's death and has own power to swap objects of the same shape, no matter the size.

Through a long series of events, you end up in a room heading to the bottom of the sea with the bodies of Jowd and Yomiel, you go back 4 minutes before Jowd's death to try to reverse it but there is nothing in the room you can manipulate or swap that can reverse it, you then turn your attention to the corpse of Yomiel, the organization he was working with didn't really care about him and were only helping him because what he wanted coincidentally also benefited them and they were after the piece of the meteor that was inside him, they betrayed him and took it, this combined with meeting people who understood his plight, Yomiel starts regretting what he done. There is upside, is with that piece of the meteor no longer in his body, it has “officially” died and it gives Sissel a loophole to use his powers on, allowing him to go back years ago opposed to just 4 minutes and prevent the meteor from killing Yomiel and preventing most of events of the game from ever happening, Sissel, Missile, Yomiel and Jowd go back in time to do just that, with the combined force of Sissel, Missle and Yomiel's Ghost Tricks, they create a new timeline where everything goes better for every character encountered in the game except for the organization that Yomiel was working with, even Yomiel who is in prison for what he did in the park is shown to be a happier man in this new timeline than he was in the previous timeline.

Now, to get into why this is my favorite ending.

It shows off how awesome the powers of the Ghost Tricks are, all the powers mentioned before except for moving through the telephone wires are essential to preventing Yomiel's death which was a very hard thing to do, but despite this, they managed to pull this off.

Sissel is suggested the option of simply letting Lynne die and reversing her death later, but Sissel knows that she will retain the memories of her death and it will haunt her to the ends of her days so he refuses and comes up with another way, it shows off his personalty and growth in the game over the time greatly.

There is two plot twists that I am going to choose to keep secret, on a first playthrough these might come out of nowhere but it makes replaying through the game as much as an enjoyable experience at first one trough the sheer amount of foreshadowing you are now able to catch on to.

All the game's character are likable and very well written, so the credits do a nice job of making me smile by showing off the better lives they have in the new timeline except for the people working for organization Yomiel was working with.

The music playing in the credits is simply wonderful and upbeat, it reminds of Turnabout Sisters from the Ace Attorney series, a song I'm already very fond of, it gives you the feeling you've done something great.

This game is simply fantastic and it had a fantastic ending to go with it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 30: Favourite ending.

Appropiate. Remember how I said I'd probably talk on Sonic 06 again at some point? I knew this would pop up. This ending is perfect

I love everything about it. The reminiscent feeling the characters have, how you smile at it even though you probably hate the characters, the look, the lighting, Sonic's playful nature coming out, that touching music track and that final shot. It's a true cinematic ending, I can imagine seeing it in a cinema. Its the best thing to happen in the game. It's been awesome guys!

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 30-Favorite Ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4NpBtAu79g

Mario 64's Ending

It's not exactly the pinnacle of story telling, but I love Mario 64's ending. It was the first ending I actually got to see through my own efforts. All those stars, all those deaths due to being only 7 and kind of crap. It was so worth to me, and the ending will remain as my favorite due to that. It doesn't hurt that this was the first time I actually heard voice acting in a game, being thanked with speech rather than text. The music is top notch, and the credits are dynamic and are actually affected by the stars you got. That poor Snowman is just a head if you didn't bring him his body, but if he is you get to see him sitting pretty.

gib badge pls

• Thumbs Up 6

Favorite Ending

Shadow of the Colossus

maxresdefault.jpg

Shadow of the Colossus's ending shocked me. I didn't know what I was expecting. I knew something was off because the game threw like a billion hints at you that you were fucking something up. It just...threw me for a loop in the best possible way. Wander, after tracking down and killing 16 innocent beasts in his desperate, stupid quest to try and bring back the dead, is punished. He's beaten, stabbed, possessed, and best of all, the tables are turned on him and he gets to experience the pain he caused the Colossus. It also ties into Ico, the game's predecessor, very well while still leaving enough room for players to draw their own conclusions. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Final Day: Best Ending

Did I mention Journey is NOT my favorite game ever? Cause it'd be hard to tell. Oh sure, it's definitely up there, probably in my Top 5 experiences, but I digress.

Journey's ending is the best fucking ending ever. I probably said it before in my previous drool fests over this game, but the ending is what solidified this game as an amazing, and heartfelt experience. It's perfect closure to a harrowing adventure that brings everything full circle and makes subsequent playthroughs carry extra meaning as you apply the experience you had to your next companions and effectively carry out the story's theme by leading and helping them on your next journey.

Day 30: Fav Ending

Normally, I'd give a main answer and then give some smaller honourable mentions. This time I have a few games in mind that I want to elaborate on ending-wise. So here we go! For me, what makes a good ending in a video game is not just the ending cutscene(s), but the final bits of gameplay, so keep that in mind when you read these.

(Oh, and these aren't in any particular order, though I did keep one very special to me for last.)

Portal 2

You shoot a portal at the moon just to beat Wheatley. Just...

wow. And the actual ending cutscenes feel almost surreal, after all Chell's hard work, she finally gets to be free. No strings attached...possibly. You never know with GLaDOS. But hey, taking everything at face value, you've earned a happy ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYps-kGPh78

~

Sonic Adventure 1

...I dunno, something about this game's ending always gets to me. People make fun of Tails' infamous "All's well that ends well!" but hey, it could have been worse. Right? Right! ...Right...

~

Spyro 3

I almost feel like I shouldn't put this here because, story wise, I actually don't really like the ending of this game. However, there are two bits about this game's "endgame" that I enjoy quite a bit: the Super Bonus Round which is a lot of fun and is a really cute nod to the bonus ending level of the first game. Only downside is that it doesn't have an amazing unlockable like Spyro 2's permanent superflame. Oh well. And then there's the best, best moment in the 'post-game' that makes it feel more like an ending: GETTING YOUR GEMS BACK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOwFgJ0DAzs

At the end of Spyro 2, Moneybags also ends up (unwillingly) giving back the gems you paid him, thanks to Spyro's friends, but this time around? YOU (and Spyro himself of course) get to chase that jerk down and get all your treasure back. It feels so good.

~

MOTHER 3

"What the fuck." That's how I can describe it without spoilers. But uh, here's my very spoiler-y thoughts.

The final "boss" of the game is incredibly fucked up. Lucas fights the cyborg that used to be his brother, but refuses to actually

hurt the Masked Man/Claus, so all you can do is try and keep Lucas alive (so essentially use the guard command to make sure his HP goes down slower and use healing PSI/items) until...the twins' mother starts to speak to them, and manages to get through to Claus. In his few moments of free will, Claus willingly kills himself--by throwing a lightning attack at Lucas, while the latter is wearing a Franklin Badge which reflects electricity. 

And then...the actual ending cutscenes, with Lucas pulling the last of the Needles and making his wish, is somewhat ambiguous regarding the fate of pretty much everyone. And then there's the "The End?" screen where the characters thank the player and hope the world treats us well...excuse me while it rains on my face for a while.

Honourable Mentions

• Skyward Sword: Except they should have kissed already sklajdaljfkleajkrlja
  • Uhhh...I'm drawing a blank for any more game endings, doubt I'll think of any others. Ah well, this is more than enough. XP
  • Thumbs Up 2

Day Numbero Finale Part 1: Featuring Ninja from the Ninja May Cry Series: Ninja's "Less 'a-Winner-is-you-tastic' than Serp and Swifts pick" Favourite Ending ever!

last time, I picked Ghost Trick and Okami, two great games with great endings, so lets talk about Metal Gear again, shall we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsfdVeqhGBs

I always preferred Otacons ending from MGS1 over the Meryl one, simply because I just love the entire relationship between Otacon and Snake, with this ending really niceley showing the Bromance that would eventually be their partnership, spanning not only the next few games but also Generations as seen by Big Boss and Huey Emmerich as of Peace Walker.

just Naomis Speech about Life, Snakes and Otacons resolutions for the future, its really nice seeing these two, who went through hell and back during the course of the game, finally finding peace for now, its really loveley and always brings a smile to my face.

shame that trip to Jupiter never happened...maybe in MGS6....maybe....

• Thumbs Up 1

FIIIIIIIIIINAL Waaaaaaaaaaaave~

Best Finale...

Finally, Dark Star is defeated...all is well. Till Bowser realises who has been mucking around his insides. The heroes begin their usual fight. And we see the brothers going to town on Bowser. But if you've watched a Marvel movie, y'know there's an aftercredits scene where Fury comes to recruit Bowser for the Aveng---

I mean Bowser gets sent a mysterious package from Peach of all people. Where he secretly enjoys her cake outta sight. It's nice that Bowser gets acknowledgement for taking down Fawful, considering his terrible treatement in Superstar Saga.(See fave story post)

Y'know things are back to normal when you see the bros' doing what they do best. Bashin' Bowser...And Bowser actually accomplishes more than the bros in this story so it's a very nice nod to see a sweet ending too.. It's a simple ending but effective in setting off the story.

Sonic Adventure 2

Considering this is one of my first console games, it seems fitting to end with this. I've gushed about this enough but it's the sombre yet hopeful music that sets this off perfectly. And the tone some of the voice work brings to this ( minus Tails), Eggman wondering about his grandfather, Sonic left kinda speechless and a bit heavy...and his last line was perfect. Just watching the Eclipse Cannon by earth kinda shows what the story is about..ARK and Earth.

Bring hope to humanity.

P.S- My favourite unlockable would be Daft Punk from DJ Hero but I think I defaulted to Sonic Colours cos' I did'nt think of that a week ago. Bummer, but I noticed nobody mentioned Super Sonic in the 3D front so I figured..

But seriously how cool is it to DJ as Daft Punk to their own tracks...man I love those space-age Robots. Their Grammy was well-deserved..

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 29: Favorite Overall Cast

Cast_of_Tales_of_Vesperia.jpg

With the exception of one main character, Tales of Vesperia has one of my favorite casts in any game. I already wrote about Yuri being my but the rest of the party members have their bright spots, too. Rita and Raven are two of the funniest characters in the game, and although they don't get as much time in the spotlight as they should, they make the most of their chances. Rita in particular was one of my favorite characters and was my second pick for "". She brings a lot of comic relief with her relationships with other characters, particularly Karol and Raven. Karol gets a lot of development throughout the story, and is more likable towards the middle of it. Judith is a cool character, but also suffers from taking a backseat for most of the story. Repede doesn't really serve any purpose outside of fighting, but is still pretty cool to have around in the party.

Most of the interactions take place via skits, which in a way makes up for the characters not named Yuri or Estelle getting a lot less screen time. These skits are sometimes story related and sometimes not, but are usually the best way for the characters to communicate and interact with each other. A lot of them are downright hilarious, and are really some of the best parts of the game.

The Grand Finale- Favorite Ending

I went a whole 29 days without posting anything about this game, outside of listing reasons why it was But on the last day, it doesn't feel right to complete this without posting something about it. So here it goes.

http://youtu.be/fcG8GYGeG60?t=3m4s

Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Not only is this my favorite ending, but it's also the first ending I had ever seen to a game. Sonic defeats Robotnik and jumps out of the Death Egg, falling to what could be his death.

But wait! Tails spots Sonic falling from the Death Egg. Quickly jumping into the Tornado, Tails flies up to Sonic and catches him, saving him from what could have been a deadly fall.

Indigo Rush put it perfectly here:

It signifies the trust being forged in Sonic and Tails' friendship. Tails knew exactly when and where to find him, and caught him in one fell swoop! The main idea in this scene is to show that after their first adventure together, they become more than just partners in this unified resistance against Dr Robotnik - Sonic the loner has now adopted Tails as his little brother, and they're now close allies.

The ending of Sonic 2 gave us one of the greatest duos in video game history. Sonic the Hedgehog, and Miles "Tails" Prower.

And with this post, that is the end of my 30 Days of Video Games. It's been a blast posting all of these, and reading everyone's responses has really made me want to play a ton of games that I never thought I would even consider. A big thanks to Discoid for running the event and Kiah for moderating and tallying everything. Both of you, keep being awesome!

Skipped day 29 for the PS icon, but anyway

Day 30

end--article_image.jpg

My favourite ending is definetly Golden Sun The Lost Age. After everything that happened and the plottwists within it, just being able to see everyone safe and sound warms my cold heart.

Favorite ending might just be Super Mario 3D World.

After playing through the final level with my friend Eric a couple of hours ago, I realized how much I really appreciate it. The finale caps off an incredible game, and the credits sequence has awesome music

Everything about it is satisfying, I'm having s hard time putting it into words

FINAL DAY: FAVORITE ENDING

Oh, easily...

Bastion.

I am aware there is multiple endings, but my idea of the canon ending is not taking Zulf > Reset > Calamity happens again > Take Zulf > don't reset.

But I dunno cause I always take Zulf.

But you reset the world, only to find that it didn't make a fuckin' difference, then you do a new game+ that makes you realize your mistake, regain respect for the "villain" (who isn't actually a bad person, really) and set off for some completely new place. 

BAD.
ASS.

This is like the best game ever or something.

Well, it comes down to this. A full 30 days done... this was an absolute blast. Really gave me something to think about that I liked for every day. Special thanks to Discoid and Kiah for making this so much fun; can't wait for the next one! Anyways, what better way to end this than with one of my favorite series.

Day 30: Favorite (gotta get this done so I can get to MK8) Ending

maxresdefault.jpg

Halo Reach

"From the beginning, you know the end..."

That was the slogan surrounding the game before release. Very true with it being a prequel and all. Yet, as the game progressed, I still found my self shocked several times at the outcome of a giving mission. Though, it wasn't till the last part of the game when everything started to come in place. What you needed to do to insure humanity made it off the planet safely, it was pretty moving to a Halo fan like myself. I guess the ending is even supported further by the fact that in the cut scenes it's your armor being shown instead of some generic per-rendered model. Seeing yourself give up his life to pass on the torch that basically starts the rest of the series of games is something that has stuck to me to this day.

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 30 OF PRESIDENT CROW CLOSING DA CURTAIN!

I couldn't pick and I didn't feel like spoiling ending to most games. If anything I encourage to play the games I've mentioned during these 30 Days. So since this is the final stretch and I do need mention one game that has been in lodged in the deepest part of my heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2NieJtdzs

Lord Raptor's ending in Darkstalkers 3!

Its a decade old game that's also an arcade fighting game so nobody would care if I spoil it. So anyways what happens is that Raptor after defeating Jedah and gains his power which is main motivation. He does get it but it was too much for him that he blows up in the process, leaving only his head with Le Mantra. And its all played for laughs anyways. If anything I prefer this ending to his Darkstalkers 1 ending where he gets power from his master (who in DS3 was absorbed by Jedah btw) and he becomes more powerful to the point where he becomes more monstrous and says that he'll eventually defeat his master. The reason because is that 3's ending is just more humorous which is pretty fitting for Raptor to be honest. Its short compared to the other endings but maybe sometimes its better finish short and sweet so yeah.

I needed an excuse to post Darkstalkers Anyways that's my 30 Days posts. I missed some of them because I was either busy on a trip or I couldn't think of an answer but I'm fine with what I've done. I hope you guys had fun and I'll see you here on SSMB.

UNTIL NEXT TIEM SSMB!

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 30 - Favorite Ending

Well, unfortunately the only games that really qualify for this are ones I've talked about extensively already - The Wonderful 101 and Portal 2.  Those two still hold the spot for me, but for the sake of variety I suppose I'll go with a runner up.

Legend%20of%20Zelda%20The%20%20Ocarina%2

The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time

This ending is the biggest one that comes to mind when I think of the word "classic."  Everything about it makes up the quintessential fantasy showdown.  Link climbs the ominous castle tower, faces off against the villain, rescues the princess, escapes the crumbling building with seconds to spare, the baddie emerges as a hulking beast, Link puts a stop to it and returns to the past, having saved time itself.

The atmosphere and pacing of this ending are absolutely perfect.  It keeps on building and building, getting more chaotic and dangerous until finally it all comes to its peak in the duel between Link and Ganon.  Fire surrounds you, thunder and lightning pound the skies, Zelda shrieks when you get hurt, the lighting is incredibly moody, and the music is almost indescribable.  It's somber, threatening, encouraging, scary, sad, and invigorating all at once.  And once the battle is done, it comes down from the climactic high and leads into the closing conversations with bright colors and calming music, then ending on a nostalgic shot of Link and Zelda in their younger selves.  Time itself had been rescued by a young boy and his fairy, and everything returns to the way it was.  A humbling end to a grand adventure.

I consider this the best ending of any Nintendo game.  It hits all the right notes, and while some have come close, it still hasn't been topped.

And that concludes another fun 30 Day topic.  Glad I could be a part of this one!

• Thumbs Up 1