Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 30 - Favorite Ending

Portal 2! I talked about it in the last 30 days event but I just couldn't not pick it. I love what a tease it constantly is: GLaDOS deletes Caroline, I thought she'd kill me. Door opens to turrets, thought I'd be gunned down. Rise out of the floor into a room packed with turrets, surely it's over. Animal King's turning on, it'll definitely end me. But no! I went with every expectation for a surprise downer ending because it fits so well into the kind of humor Portal thrives on and it just seemed like the only way to go. Instead you're treated with a really nice cutscene and a beautiful song, one of my absolute favorites out of a video game. It's the best possible way I could imagine to end the game on a happier note.

Some honorable mentions: BioShock for another happy ending I never saw coming and felt really deserved after the hell Jack and the Little Sisters went through; BioShock Infinite for what a tweest and somehow weaving everything together to finally make sense; Ghost Trick for its twist as well, and for giving us a glimpse at how our good work changed everyone's lives; Majora's Mask for what a reward it was to see all these characters it does so well in making you empathize for finally see a new day; and Super Mario 64 for that delicious-looking cake and the cutest music ever. I like happy endings!

• Thumbs Up 5

Just remembered that my first day post never went through, so I'll quickly catch up here...

Actually, I've got the same answer for both so I might as well just make it a twofer.

Day 1 and 30: Super Mario 64

Mario64_1.jpg

Mario 64 was my first video game ever and remains one of my all time favorites. I credit it with being the source of my crazy spatial recognition skills, as I was obsessed with the map design and playing around in a pretend 3D space. In fact, I'm willing to go so far as to say that there is NOTHING on this blue earth that I understand better than Mario 64. I could play through this whole game in my head right now, remembering every star, enemy location and vertex in the level geometry. Mario 64 has become something internal to me, not just as a gamer but as a human being.

As for the ending, I partially favor it because of that same nostalgia. Beating Bowser 3 was a huge hassle for me the first time I played the game and when I finally took him down, it felt like the greatest accomplishment in my pre-adolescent life. My mom still has the picture she took of me immitating Mario's "victory" sign in front of the ending screen. But even beyond nostalgia value, it's a great damn ending. The sense of accomplishment you get as Mario soars off the final arena, gets a grateful kiss from the princess and finally gets his cake is really all you can ask for from a game's ending. No cynicism, no loose ends, you get everything you were promised plus the satisfaction of the experience itself. The credits give a montage of all the creative worlds you visited throughout this adventure, resurfacing the highs and lows of the journey.

52383_medium.jpg

Runaway: A Twist Of Fate

In the first game of the trilogy, the relationship between Brian and GIna was absolutely ridiculous. They had zero chemistry.

In the second game Gina didn't even appear, still I saw Brian desperated to save her. In a way, I started to empatize with Brina, just out of pity.

In the third game, Gina has an active role. It's about time that Brian&Gina love is portraited from both sides. By the time every enemy is defeated and every problem is solved, seeing those two finally reunited is both moving and satisfing.

tumblr_inline_n30fz4VcJ11spvrli.png

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Shamelessly copied and pasted from my previous post

rolleyes.gif

After the scariest Boo of them all is defeated, the first thing to do is to free Mario from his painted prison.

Unlike the original Luigi's Mansion, this time we see Mario thanking and congratulating Luigi.

The Dark Moon that keeps the ghosts in check is then restored, and Mario is visibly amazed by what Luigi managed to pull off.

All of the ghosts become friendly again, and we assist a miracle: Luigi tries and succeeds to befriend a ghost, the adorable Pulterpup, which joyfully jumps on the green plumber's arms and licks his face.

Seeing this scene, seeing that Luigi finally overcame his fear of ghosts, Mario feels the need to congratulate Luigi again.

Thinking about it, it's a crowning moment for both Luigi and the player: receiving the thanks and congratulations from the most iconic videogame hero is a really big accomplishment, something to be very proud of.

tumblr_mvaqx0ov9K1rhiif9o1_500.jpg

Sonic Colors

Sonic escapes a black hole, Tails finally gets his translator right, Yacker and his fellows thanks the two and fly away,

Oh and obviously there's the Brofist, which on TV Tropes I described as "the iconic representation of Sonic and Tails's never-ending friendship" happy.png

Blanka's Ending - Street Fighter 4

This is freaking adorable for two big reasons.

First is the love Blanka and his mum have for each other.

Second is the precence of Dan Hibiki, who helps Blanka's mum finding his boy, and stares at them (probably crying in joy, but who knows).

I just love heartwarming endings wub.png

Day 30: Favorite Ending.

http://youtu.be/VJbTX21TeNM

I'm going to have to go with Cave Story. I got the freeware version a few years ago, but I could never beat that true Final Boss... But I bought the game on the Wii, and played Curly Story (same game, but you play as the girl), and went through the game again. I didn't miss the Spur this time, I got plenty of Heart Tanks, and I went in. I DID die a few times, but after, like, my 12th try, I beat it. I ACTUALLY beat the true final boss and got the best ending. I was just so satisfied. But I also didn't want the game to end. It was so fun, and there were so many great characters, and I felt a little sad knowing that I wouldn't be playing as Quote for a long time, if ever again. I'm hoping they're still gonna make a sequel (or prequel, which would work just as well).

Snake Eater, by a good margin. The entire game is about Snake's personal betrayal felt when Big Boss defects to the Soviet Union. He has his mission to do the same thing, but what really drives him is the question of "why". Why did his mentor, the greatest American soldier since the Revolution, betray her country and him to go over to the other side.

Then you find out. She didn't betray her country at all. The country essentially betrayed her, using her status as a patriot as a trump card to take down Colonel Volgin; sending on her a guaranteed death mission to stop him, and sending Snake to make sure that her mission was completed. She accepted her fate for her country without hesitation, knowing the end result even before Snake could have ever dreamed of it; then forcing him to complete his mission when he figured it out.

And Snake's betrayal from her is overridden by his personal loyalty to her when he learns of it all and his shame at being the once forced to kill the countries' most highly respected soldier, in doing so sealing her fate as a traitor to her country even though he knows otherwise; and you can feel that shame and his anger in his eyes when he accepts a medal for ending a situtation that the medal givers were entirely responsible.

And that shame is what drives the plots of most of the rest of the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 30: Favourite Ending

PS_3DS_LuigisMansion2_PEGI.png

Luigi's Mansion 2

The ending seen at the prequel was indeed a test for Luigi to overcome his fear and cowardice to ghosts in order to save his brother. Luigi's Mansion 2 takes this concept once again, and while the prequel was quite a charming scene to see this time the ending seems a little better developed to me.

After defeating King Boo and restoring the Dark Moon so all ghosts are friendly once again, you also rescue Mario who's been trapped on a painting once again and he congratulates you. Your big brother congratulating you for all your efforts to reach this far and overcome your fear of ghosts is a crowning achievement not only for Luigi but for the player as well; being personally congratulated by one of the most iconic characters in video game history is something you don't see everyday! And on top of that, Luigi manages to befriend a ghost for the first time, the little Polterpup. Again, another achievement for the green brother as it somehow sets past his fear of ghosts for good (or at least in this game!). Such a charming moment, may I say...

Luigiinhouse.jpg

~ The End ~

• Thumbs Up 5

THIRTY DAYS OF VIDEO GAMES - THE FINALE

~ Ashes to Ashes, We All Fall Down... ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIy5PuEFlb4

Day 30/30: Favourite Ending

Game Selected: Dust: An Elysian Tail
Platforms:
-Xbox LIVE Arcade (2012)
-PC, Linux, Mac (2013)

"It doesn't matter who he thinks he is, he's Dust! That who he is. That's who I know..."

~Fidget

Choosing a game I've gotten and finished very recently! Obviously spoilers!

Singlehandedly developed by Dean Dodrill, with the soundtrack provided by Hyperduck Soundworks, you play through this Metroidvania title as the eponymous Dust, an amnesiac wielding the Blade of Ahrah, who seeks to reclaim his memories... when the issue turns out to be more complicated than it may initially seem. At some point, you realize that he's obviously Cassius, the strongest Royal Assassin under the orders of antagonist General Gaius, right until some conflicting ideas start to unravel.

Sen-Mithrarin, as he would be called, is a "being born from the dust", and a fusion of two souls: Cassius, and Jin, the latter being Ginger's weak but kindhearted brother. The two had killed one another simultaneously when Gaius' anti-Moonblood campaign reached Zelphys Village, Jin's home town, and it was to be wiped out as it held sympathizers towards the reptilian race. THAT'S RACIST

When I finally reached Gaius, I was struck by how -- forgive my lack of a better term, but -- humane he came across. Throughout the fight, he still tries to reach out towards the Cassius he knew, though it would all be in vain. This tension between the two, Dust continuing to deny that he is Cassius while Gaius still attempts to speak to you as you were made for a pretty intense final boss fight, atmospherically.

Then came the duel's end.

An ending, while powerful, can only be good depending on how much you've invested yourself into the story, none better through the main character.

After the final blow is dealt, Dust is fatally wounded by a stray explosion, and then he hears Gaius calling out for him just up ahead. Disabled, Dust has to crawl (yes, you're controlling that) towards the cliff where the General is clinging on to. Their final exchange, Gaius falling to his death, Fidget coming to rescue a dying hero and only to be denied that chance... They did everything they were supposed to (a callback to an earlier chapter in-game), but when the Life Thread calls, all you can say is goodbye.

Even the credits shows what happens to some of the other NPCs you've met, and the salt in the wound came from seeing Cora's limp body lying in the Sorrowing Meadow, whereas you can see the spirits of her and her husband Kane up ahead.

While the finale ends on a sorrowful note, it isn't without a glimmer of hope...

Honourable Mentions (Since the previous event):
-The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013)
-Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012)
-Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (DS, 2010-2011; iOS, 2010, 2012)
-Pokémon X and Pokémon Y (2013)
-The triple endings to Kirby: Triple Deluxe (2014)
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Remastered (2013)
-Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (2013)

• Thumbs Up 4

The Final Day

640px-Jin_Kisaragi_%28Continuum_Shift%2C

I play games for the experience. To escape the boring boundaries of daily life and live lives ranging from outlaws to heroes. To be something that is unobtainable in this world, to live in fictional worlds that can make my jaw drop to sci-fi worlds of the future.

Why do I play games? Because life is boring.

Bonus Day - Why Do You Play Games?

What's this?! A b-b-b-bonus day?! Do I get a b-b-b-bonus badge for participating? Eh, either way I'm in!

Why do I play games? Simple. The reason everyone else plays games. Because they're fun. Yeah, what you thought I'd go into some psychological explanation as to how video games hone your abilities and make you a better person or some bullshit like that? Hah! Noep.

Alright but seriously, what can I say? I really love video games. It's that unique escape from realism that draws you in, getting to go on exciting adventures with all sorts of crazy characters beating the crap out of all sorts of crazy villains. Video games can either be relaxing, thrilling, adventurous, anything really. So if I'm in a laid back mood I'll play some Animal Crossing, yes? If I'm in a competitive mood I'll play some Racing Transformed. If I feel like going on an adventure, I play Sonic Unleashed. 

The thing about games is that there's a genre for anyone. Video games are simple, and fun and can help anyone relax or kick off the boredom of their day. Or perhaps you had a bad day and you wanna forget about it. Just play some games! I can't think of anything else other than video games are appealing to everyone and are hella fun to play. So yeah, that's me. I sure as hell didn't write as much as Discoid, but really, there isn't much else to say.

This is really tough... I'll simply say I enjoy playing them because they're fun. That's really it. biggrin.png

Also major props to Vizard for choosing Dust. That was almost my pick.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess there'd be three big reasons why I play games:

ART

To enjoy stories, places and get enveloped in and appreciate the creativity of the only art medium that is fully interactive.  This includes enjoying games that I might not like EVERY aspect of, but enjoy for unique reasons - music, etc.

ESCAPE

Real life can be depressing and you can't always win at life.  There's a lot of joy to be had from temporarily being able to concentrate on a self-contained world that challenges you in a more structured way.

TIME KILLING

Well sometimes you don't have anything better to do for an hour, play a game.  =B

But the bottom line is that for all three of these reasons, games are an important part of life for me and I'd be very sad without them.  Also sometimes you do just wanna say "because they're fun!".

• Thumbs Up 1

Bonus Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhhcTcD_gyM

It's time we remind ourselves of why we play!

We play to make the world turn 'round, we play to make the world burn down!

WHY REN PLAYS GAMES?

Several reasons:

One: I get a sense of joy (and possible light-headedness) that I don't get from any other activity. 

Two: As someone who's rarely social, I'm really dependent on finding things that I have in common with others. Video games seems to be the most common thing that I tend to connect with. I've made some of the best friends I could ask for thanks to video games; friends that have been there for me whenever I've hit rock bottom.

Three: I'm a dreamer. Plain and simple. Whether my brain wants to or not, it loves to come up with situations that I'd like to happen (and also situations that I wouldn't want to happen). Video games are pretty much the only channel where I can at least make those hypothetical situations partly feasible. If I feel like punching someone, I bring up a fighting game like Street Fighter or Tekken. If I feel like being the most badass I can be, I pull out a Platinum Games game or something stylish and bloody like No More Heroes. Hell, sometimes I feel like commanding an entire army to just kick some ass, so I'll play Advance Wars.

I guess to put it simply:

They're friggin' fun.

Well, that's the show. Goodnight, and good eatin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09s-c2JVI40

• Thumbs Up 3

I play games for many reasons. As another form of art, I play them to see the creativeness people can create. It's always great to see people with dreams and creative minds make their characters come to life!

I also play games for experience. I like to let my imagination take me placed. And games can really go hand in hand with that. I love to be immersed in the world. Whether that be Termina, or Avalar, or the universe of Halo, I love to become part of the world and just appreciate how much work was done for me to do that. Most games bring a new experience; some moral, something I can take away from them, and its something I can proudly say it has over movies or books.

And then lastly I'd say story. It's a great way to push people to keep going. And I love that. I pushed through infinite because the Bioshock lore grabs me so much, I felt motivated to continue Tomb Raider because I wanted to understand what was going on. I keep playing Kingdom Hearts games because I want to see everything come full circle! (And cause they have great gameplay.)

There are many other reasons I play them: something to pass time, to play with friends, pushing me to beat a old score of mine,etc., but the ones I went in detail about really are the defining reasons for me.

Edit: oh yeah, and because they are seriously REALLY fun.

DAY 01000010 01101111 01101110 01110101 01110011: Why do you play Games?

Good question, I've been playing games for as long as I can remember and, and even a bit before then. I guess mini-me's answer to this question would be "Uhm, because it's fun?" Yeah, games are fun. Of course, nowadays, I can also say "To escape reality" since, as I stated, this is a thing I've done since I was a baby, so I guess it's comforting to play something familiar, such as Sonic. 

Another reason, that I never realized until the DS era when this became more accessible, was to connect and interact with other human beings across the globe. Ah, yes, the first few years of the DS's life was spent connecting with others online and trading Pokemon. Then I skipped out on Gen 5, but I still chatted to the people I became close to from my experiences. and today it's broadened out to other games, like ASRT, Terraria, and even Minecraft.... I would not have played that last one had my friend not brought it over to my house one day!

---

I could probably go on longer, but I must go now. It's really been a fun ride, guys! I'm looking forward to the next 30 Days topic that pops up. =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAKRXun9vz0

Bonus Day: Why Do You Play Games?

Why do I play games, huh? Well, I'll give three reasons why I choose them over most other entertainment mediums:

1. Interactivity: You see, I love reading books and watching films even more so than the next guy. However, as a reader and watcher, you're mostly a spectator to the world that unfolds before you. When it comes to video games, there's one edge that they have over the aforementioned mediums, adn that's the ability to interact with the environment within it. As a person who treasures agency more than anything else, this really appeals as, in the right hands, you're not just some spectator, but also a direct participator. The way I see it, this provides an experience that is really unlike anything else that I've ever seen.
  2. Escapism: Whenever I need to take a short reprieve from real life obligations, I always unwind by playing a couple video games. I'd watch a show or read a book, but there are times where, again, I don't just want to spectate, but also participate. Video games are there for that for that sort of thing, and I love it dearly for that.
  3. Fun Factor w/o Sacrifices: Video games are simply a fun way to kill time for me without infringing on those times where I absolutely need to get things done. Most of the shows and books I indulge in pretty much require a lot of time investment for me to enjoy. Games, on the other hand, I can just pick up, play for a bit, and then put down to play later. Pleasure without sacrificing business is a thing that I also treasure.

There are other reasons why I play video games, but these are my top three reasons why I love them so much.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bonus Day: Why I play.

Why? To get out. The modern world is a drab and miserable place. My life has become a tragedy. I need something to get me away. Something to move my mind. I need to escape. Games that are mirrors of real life are dull, I need the extraordinary. I may sound psychotic but believe me, I feel this is the truth.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 30: Favorite Ending

I decided that a good way to end this was to wrap the whole thing up with my favorite game. It's the game I've mentioned multiple times and I was going to try to stop mentioning, but rekindled my flame just enough to mention it again.

269234-saturns-620x.jpg

This game speaks to me. I know I've mentioned it time after time after time (I sound like Discoid with The Last of Us or MGS games tongue.png ), but (like him) I sincerely mean it every time I've brought it up. I've played some great games in my time and tons of variety, but there's only a select few that really soar in my heart when it all boils down to it, and EarthBound is just the gift that keeps on giving.

The thing is, I don't really know what else there is to say about it that Carbo already said. It's a reflection of every event that's happened in the game, and it allows you to ponder the adventure you just experienced. The final boss was probably the strongest emotional climax in any game, and the entire ending just made it really hit home how important it was. No lie, I was pretty much sobbing throughout the whole ending, all the way to Ness coming home to his mother and recollecting his moments. The option to take Paula with you to show your mother who's been close to you this whole time is a really special moment too, and even if you do take her home, you get a very interesting bit of character development that quickly becomes the most heartmeltingly adorable thing you won't know how to react.

The photographer's photos really made it all come back around in a great way too, leaving him to be much more important than a random character that's there for humor's sake. And the ending sequence, showing all the characters and everything you've been through through the photographer's pictures are nothing short of special. The credits got me teary-eyed in the latter half just as the ending in general got me by the end of the final boss, and I can't help but admit it.

EarthBound did things I never thought a game would do. I will never stop thinking about this ending. It's probably one of the most thought-provoking stories to ever come out of games, and the ending amplifies this to extreme amounts. I'm almost certain I'll be thinking about this game and it's ending for the rest of my life. If I don't, I'll be surprised. This game changed things for me. It changed my perception on media in general, and brought me into a world I didn't even know I could be so immersed in. It was one of the most captivating things I've experienced in gaming, and that's why EB has got my input for so many days of this.

BONUS DAY: Why Do I Play Games?

I play them for three reasons: ( 1 ) fun mechanics, ( 2 ) great implementation of both visuals and music, and  ( 3 ) a sense of immersion. 

Fun mechanics really make the most of why I play them, first and foremost. I love when a character or the thing I'm in control of in a game has very satisfying movements. It's one of the reasons I can't get into things like MMOs, because they have all these commands and options of things to do, but none are satisfying. I want a game that features a character that has weight to him/her/it, that accelerates and can move smoothly and in a fun manner. And if not a character, then I want a game that has all these little things you can do in it. Puzzle games that do really rewarding, satisfying things if you get them aligned a certain way. RPGs where you're giving out commands, but there's some context-sensitivity to it or another layer to it, etc. It's gotta be interesting to me for me to like it well enough. 

Second is a good mixture of visuals and music, to the point of them being one and the same in quality. Many games do it, but some have visuals that aren't so hot and great music, or the other way around. Those games don't get my interest as well as a game that excels in both, so I guess I'm fairly high maintenence in that regard? lol Games that feature forgettable visuals and music also lose my interest very, very quickly. I also tend to like really stylized stuff, so there's that.

And lastly, immersion is another thing I love about games and is part of my incentive. Not every game has to be some immersive experience (like puzzle games or simply structured games for example), but for me it really adds to it in an indescribable way. I love feeling like there's a sense of importance to the things I do, and there's an atmosphere where when I get into the groove of things I feel like I'm a part of it. It really amplifies the escapism element of games for me, and I love that to an extreme amount.

//////////////////////

It's been a good run here, guys. I've tried making it for just about every day in this, even if I've been late a few days. But yeah! 30 Days has been fun this year, and I had fun reading everyone's answers as well. I hope some of my repetition didn't bother too many people, but I tried to be a bit varied some of the days and pick some out there ones. 

Also, ten billion kudos to Discoid and the crew for making this happen. It's been great! But yeah, for now..

d95e42b168c46fe3f6368b3ff43a7fec.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Bonus Day: Why do you play games?

Because they're fun.

No, really, I can't come up then a deeper answer then that. Playing video games is just something I find really fun to do. I find it incredibly fun to try to beat my score or to play a level more perfectly, I find it very fun to get immersed in a game with a immersive world/strong story, I find it super fun to jockey for position, to land big combos, to nail that section of jumps, I just enjoy playing video games immensely. A lot of the time, life isn't fun. Life's only fun like 10 percent of the time actually. But at least I can always count on a good video game to be fun. I've also made quite a few dear friends through video games in the last few years, so I suppose that's become a reason as well. But really, video games, interacting with a world, controlling a character, just..escaping from the hardships and BS of my life....it's just something I enjoy immensely. And I don't feel right answering with anything else.  

It's been real guys. Until the next 30 days! I've had a lot of fun with this, and really in some ways it's put into perspective, even though I consider myself an avid gamer now, I still have so much to play, so much to catch up on. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Always good to have more games to play, right smile.png? But anyway, see you guys around. 

d95e42b168c46fe3f6368b3ff43a7fec.png

I have always played games. I can't remember a time before playing games. I figure that ever since I've been able to both A. Hold a controller in my hand and B. understand the relationship between my button press and stuff happening on screen, I have been playing games.

So partly, I play games because its just what I do.

But what makes me enjoy this hobby? Why, when I have a couple of hours to myself, would I rather play a game than read a book or watch a DVD?

There's something just right about holding a joypad, or keyboard/mouse if you're that way inclined. Whether its jumping on goombas in the Mushroom Kingdom, searching for lost treasure across the world or simply sorting falling blocks, I have always enjoyed whatever interactive challenge is presented to me.

The fact you can take part in the action helps. With pretty much every game, no playthrough is exactly the same. You'll receive power-ups at different parts of the level, you'll get stuck on a particular enemy one time and blast past them the next, you'll have the literal "game of two halves" in FIFA. Also, that feeling when you get this amazing new ability. Watch a guy take a robot down in a cartoon, you think "yeah, that was kinda cool". Take down Metal Gear Ray in Revengeance and you feel like the ultimate badass. You don't get that kind of achievement from finishing a book.

There are only so many times you can watch a film, and they're only 90-120 minutes long. I've replayed Final Fantasy 7 at least five times, and that takes about 30 hours each go. And five times isn't as much as I would like!

The diversity, and creativity, is another thing. Again, not to say books/films/T.V can't be diverse, but games can somehow be so much more wacky, and get away with it. For example, I once watched a film called Black Sheep, essentially about Zombie Sheep. One is dispatched with mint sauce. Pure B-movie cheese. Funny once, won't ever watch it again. In Monkey Island I've defeated a pirate ghost with a bottle of root beer more times than I dare to count, and then I get an Instant Replay! Just as mad, but it works so much better, and is way more memorable.

And of course, multiplayer. Glorious multiplayer. Don't get me wrong, board/card games can be just as fun, but they are limited in how you interact. Videogames...FPS? Sport? Race? Fight? No limit to the possibilities.

In my 24 years or so of gaming (god I'm old), games have changed so much, new genres emerging all the time, different control methods, the obvious graphical improvements...but at their core, games are all the same. Fun, interactive entertainment.

That visceral thrill is why I play.

not to say I don't enjoy films, T.V and books, but I just love games

EDIT - in my mad ramblings I forgot to thank Discoid and Kiah for putting on this event. Cheers!

• Thumbs Up 1

I pretty much play games for many reasons - to kill time, to enjoy myself, to immerse myself into the world of a game, to enjoy playing through a story...

There's just a lot of reasons I do so.

Why do I play games?

Video Games are a form of escapism. When things are going rough or dull for me, I can play something to simply take my mind off and immerse myself in what I'm playing. And what do I usually want from games? 

To have fun. That's all I can ever ask for. If a title's mechanics are enjoyable enough in their own right, then some of its flaws can be forgiven. A well done soundtrack and story can keep me on the edge of my seat, and competent graphics help, but in the end, that's the preview for the main attraction (unless this is an RPG we're talking about): a game that's easy to get into and simply have a blast playing it.

Why I play games is a bit hard to put into words, but thinking about it, there might actually be two main reasons. The first is simply relaxation and fun. Games like Donkey Kong Country or Banjo-Kazooie or Mario Kart or Smash Bros. or Kirby Air Ride really do a great job of helping me to relax in times of great boredom and they're perfect for hours of fun with friends and family. The second really has to do with experiencing a lot of interesting worlds and stories. I'm not huge on games that take place in real-life locations, are heavily grounded in reality, or try their best to be "gritty," but I absolutely LOVE bright colors, fantasy worlds, and just general absurdity. I guess you can thank my passion for all things animated for that. Being able to do something or be someone in a game that you absolutely CANNOT do or be in real life is a great feeling that creates a wonderful escape from reality. I'm also a big fan of stories in general, so being served a fun, well written tale in addition to really enjoyable gameplay pretty much completes my ideal gaming experience.

Adding on to those two, another thing that I love about games is the fandom element. I really enjoy being able to chat about the smallest thing in a game that I love and get into a genuine debate or discussion about it. It's also fun to discover all of the different alternate viewpoints on a particular game or topic from other people. There's also game collecting. Having tons of games on my shelf and just knowing that I can look to my collection and bust out any of my top ten favorite games is really awesome. Plus, that not even getting into the gobs of merchandise like toys, comics, and such. I'd better end this before I list literally everything that's wildly circling around in my scatter-brained little mind, but to sum things up, I just love being a video game fanatic. biggrin.png

It really depends on the game, to be honest. When I pick up a title like a platformer, I'm in it for the challenging and clever enjoyment gaming provides. A hell of a good time to distract myself for a few hours battling through level designs and bosses and feeling myself becoming skilled and taking small steps to overcoming bigger challenges. But games also provide that lovely feeling of escapism which I don't particularly find in platformers, and more in the strongly written narrative games of late. All this shit recent games have been getting for being too movie like be damned - if I want to play a video game that takes me away into a different world where I feel empowered and get lost in its characters, environments and gameplay it needs more than strong level design. A powerful narrative just aids tremendously. I'll never understand why having cinematic storytelling is a bad thing, as long as they have the strong gameplay to back it up. Even times when this is weak like in The Walking Dead, the story itself is so powerful that it captures that escapism like many games couldn't dream of. 

Gaming is just a whole other world you get to throw yourself into, and it's hella enjoyable most times. Guess that's why I play.

Why do I play games?

Different genres give me different reasons to enjoy them.  Fighting games are fun for a bit of competition with friends, puzzle games offer enjoyable brain exercise, etc.  But what I think keeps me coming back to my favorite games is that I want to be immersed.

Lots of games exist seemingly just to be time-killers or quick laughs, and that's all fine and good, but I find that most of my favorite games are ones that not only have fun gameplay, but that go the extra mile to have interesting aesthetics and personality.  Dark Souls' challenge and oppressive world give me motivation to conquer it, Silent Hill 2's disturbing atmosphere is just fascinating, Portal 2's puzzle gameplay is complemented greatly by hilarious humor, Majora's Mask is extremely diverse with a sense of impending doom to boot, and most of my very favorite games all have multiple facets like this.

So yeah, I like games that are fun, but games that are fun AND have other interesting factors are the ones that find a special place in my heart.  And hell, I don't even think all games have to be "fun," - stuff like Silent Hill 2 and The Walking Dead are a testament to that - they just have to be engaging.  If a game does not make me want to keep playing for some reason or another, whether it be super cheerful or depressingly dark, then in my eyes it has failed in its job as an interactive piece of entertainment.  Video games, unlike other forms of media, ask a lot of the player.  It's our job to finish the stories, not to simply be fed them.  That's why it's so important that a game make us WANT to keep playing.  Give us characters to love, worlds to get lost in, fantasies to live out.  That's what will keep me coming back.