Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Discoid, you lied! tongue.png You said there was going to be no bonus day! tongue.png hehe!

Anyways, Why Does Mambo Play Games?

Truth be told, I'm not quite sure... I guess I just saw and played some games at a friend's house back when I were a wee nipper and became instantly hooked! Since then I have gone from game to game, from platform to platform...

The enjoyment I get out of games is the interactivity; you're not just sitting there passively taking it in like watching a movie or TV show. You influence the game directly.. I enjoy games that tell a story, so you are not wandering around aimlessly doing stuff for no reason (although in some games that is fun, too!). Secondly, I have an appreciation for the presentation of games; the artwork. the world building, the music and atmosphere. Games with a nice environment and mood-setting music are ones that I remember. smile.png And lastly, games that feel good are ones I become addicted to very quickly! Be it running around a brightly coloured landscape bouncing off robots, or riding a horse across the Wild West... games which forms a hand-to-brain-to-imagination connection are the best!

• Thumbs Up 1

Bonus Day - The Day of Bonuses: Bonus Level: The Day: The Animation: The Movie: A Good Bonus Day to Bonus Hard

Why do I play games?

The reason I play games may not be all that complex, but it's directly related to the kinds of games I enjoy. Gaming for me is an escape, a way to get away from the realities of life and occasionally life's depressing or hard times. When I was a kid, it was important to me because it gave me something to be excited about, something to be fascinated by, characters I not only wanted to be but I kinda felt like I was. Sonic, for example, going fast with him, beating a tough challenge, was always so exhilarating for me as a kid, and it helped me spice up the mundane of my life by complimenting it with things I couldn't help but fascinate over.

Nowadays gaming is still an escape but also an inspiration to me. Without gaming I never would have picked up a passion for writing, when I was a kid I started writing because I wanted to write about my favourite games and characters, then I wanted to write down my own ideas for games, and later in life I began more seriously developing my writing skills because I wanted to review games and write thought-provoking pieces on gaming that may get the medium more respected someday.

Yes, I think throughout my childhood, I constantly felt this urge to justify why games were so special to me when I was surrounded by family or friends who didn't think it was a very fulfilling hobby. The amount of knowledge and critical skills I've gained solely because of being able to dive into games has, I think, proved them wrong, and I can now impress people even when writing about a topic people always used to think was shallow or meaningless. For example, I got a First in my University dissertation which was on the topic of LGBT diversity (or lack thereof) in video games and I will probably never stop being proud of myself for proving to myself that I could write a high-level academic piece of work about video games of all things.

Also, on a side note, like I said before I play games to escape from the real world right? That ties in completely with the kinds of games I'm into, most of you all probably know that I prefer cartoony or very fantasy-like games to ones that look gritty or realistic, and I think a large reason of that is because I had grown up surrounded by peers and society and mediums shoving "reality" and "war" and "grit being superior to fantasy" down my throat. To this day, I continue to play games that allow me to escape from that, far far away from games trying to depict realism or war when I'm fed up of seeing that everywhere in real life and in movies as it is.

Video games are super important to me, and this 30 Day thing was fun, good job everyone!

• Thumbs Up 2

Aaaand the Bonus day! =D So, why is it that I'm Gabz the Gamer Girl? Why do I play games?

It's because of the fun, the entertainment and the joy I feel when I play games. Games allow me to escape from the real world and enter a world full of imagination and fun. Of course it all depends on the game since there are games that make me smile (Super Mario 3D World), games that upset me (Last of Us) and games that frustrate me to no end (Jak 2!). But even the frustrating or sad games can end up being my favourites, as all three of the aforementioned games are great! Other things that draw me into videogames are the music which 8 times out of 10 can be really amazing, memorable and/or epic and of course the art style. For me, art in videogames is important because a game needs to lure me in visually. Something like this;

1232914904-Fallout3cover002609.jpg

Lures me in because it looks serious and cool. The Brotherhood of Steel soldier stands out and makes me curious about the game. Something like this on the other hand;

89504_front.jpg

Uhhhhhhh...no thanks.

The game itself also has to look great, but there are games out there that don't look amazing and yet still end up being amazing in their own right.

So these three important things...art, music and the escape are why I love videogames so much and why I don't think I could ever live without a videogame. My 3DS is always with me (as were the DS and GBA before that) and my consoles are always plugged in at home and ready to play! Of course there are days I play more on one console than the other, but I always make sure that if there's at least one game I haven't played yet on the other console, I'll dust it off and play it!

Anyways, I've really enjoyed these 30 days of gaming and I thank Discoid for organising it all. ^^ I'm looking forward to the next 30 days, whenever that may be!

Favorite Ending

Yoshi's Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh78Kumr5xY#t=242

Nothing too big, but I just thought it was a really heartwarming ending. Mario is finally reunited with Luigi and they both unite with their (unseen and unnamed) parents

Bonus Day:

I play video games to get away from real life. To escape from reality and become something more fun. That might be the reason why I dont enjoy games like The Sims and the like. So basically, I play video games to have fun.

Why do I play games?

Well, I'll tell you for why. It's because of a few things actually. I was introduced to them at a young age, so, obviously it's part of my childhood. But other than that, it lets you interact with your entertainment, which is great, introduces you to loveable characters and compelling stories, and well, video gaming sort of leads a legacy in entertainment. It's one of the biggest sources of leisure nowadays and so, how can one not take part in it when it not only helps you relax, but can also get you pumped, excited and more. I play video games because there's so much to explore and there's so much to receive from playing that it actually makes it worth what it's asking for.

Bonus Day!!
Why do you Play Video Games?

Why do I play video games? Well games have become a very large part of my life. I was introduced at a young age by my brother, who got both me and my older sister into videogaming. I have been surrounded by various consoles most of my life, my brother had a Mega Drive, Game Gear, Saturn and Dreamcast, a Gameboy and eventually a PS2, Xbox and 360, my sister had a Gameboy Advance SP and a Gamecube. This lead me to aquire my brothers Dreamcast, a Gamecube, DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U and want a 360.

For me, games are something I enjoy doing, I love sitting down and playing a good videogame, they challenge me and make me think and they are a good way to pass the time (when i actually have some spare). They also have given me many good times with friends and family, many of my fond memories can be traced back to some sort of videogame.

They are just generally fun to play, either individually or with people, multilayer games like Smash Bros or Mario Kart can give people some really good times and memories and an amazing single player experience will leave you with an impression. they really can leave lasting impressions on people, something which is really impressive for a "game".

Also videogames helped me through a really tough time when my mother died and helped me to get through that, it helped to distract me and deal with it slowly, rather than having a breakdown like i very nearly did have.

So yeah, thats why I play games.

Thanks Discoid for running this event! and to any staff members who have helped. Its guys like you that make this community so fun and friendly!

Congratulations!

You've Unlocked A New Day!!

BONUS DAY - Why Do You Play Games?

Way, way, way back when the Mega Drive (Genesis in the US.) and Super NES was new, we witnessed a new form of entertainment. The details as to why or exactly when it happen are unknown to me, being the youngest of four. The fact is, I was simply too young to remember which console was even the first we had. But the earliest I can remember, is a machine called the Commodore 64!

commodore-64-system.jpg

I do recall very vague memories of the Master System, but I can't be sure if we ever owned it. While I have no memories of it's rival, the NES.

The original reasons for trying these new machines are likely owned by one or both of my brothers or even my sister. It never occurred to me to inquire before. Naturally, those reasons would evolve over time, but let me build up to that.

It has to be said though. The Commodore 64 is the only machine apart from the Wii, which was able to entertain my entire family, despite our very varied interests.

What makes a very young child be interested in games like this? Well, although it was me, to get the real reason is most likely impossible, I couldn't possibly remember. But I can hazard a guess...

Reason 1: The Colours and Characters

97065.png

For one thing, check out all those colours. The cute little character that obeys your every command. But if he fails, it's your fault. The Commodore had such a varied selection of games that seemed to appeal to each one of us, it was almost inevitable that I would join my family of moths to the flame.

I was also a big fan of a series of books and a television show called Thomas The Tank Engine and Friends, so when this game turned up, that was it. I became a tiny gamer.

thomas_the_tank_engine_01.gif

1990? I would've been about four at the time.

To be fair though, I can't possibly say how old I was when I first played a video game. Plus do you really count when your too young to properly understand what's going on or when you play to win for the first time? My little nephew must've been about 4 or 5 before he was able to properly understand what was going on and how to win.

Reason 2: Escapism

As the years go by, games stopped appealing to our parents but the children played on. However, things would take a dark turn and games no longer became about having fun or enjoying the images.

Bullying1.jpg

If you looked remotely happy while in public, some random piece of a total waste of flesh, poor excuse of a steaming pile of dog shit, that to this day is still living in his/her mums basement while fucking chickens because no human with any common sense would dare got close to this BO infested gob shite...would go out of his/her way to make you miserable. Why? I just told you. Because they're ugly, there mothers don't love them, they stink and chickens aren't fond of them either.

But the damage has been done. You're scarred for life. Everything that's been said to you, you start to believe to be true. Then one day, the very same thoughts are coming from you. You hate yourself, you hate that you draw breath, you believe you are good for no one and nothing. You can't handle these thoughts, they risk tearing you apart inside.

So you come up with a plan. "I know, television will help ease my mind."

anchorman-2-290x300.jpg

Big mistake! Oh sure, you might get 20 minutes of enjoyment and escapism, while for the rest of the day that stupid talking box shows you grown men chasing a ball, some chef cooking something you wouldn't feed your dog, a live showing of people sleeping, actor pretending to live a real life where somebody gets killed every other month or worst of all...about 6 or 8 times a day, a boring couple sitting behind a desk, tell you why the earth is a shit hole and the human race needs to die.

Maybe not in those words. As they basically go about, telling you who has died, been murdered or killed by there own stupidity, and many more. Never do they bother to tell a story that might reassure it's viewers.

Now your scared to go out because of being verbally assaulted and physically assaulted.

Reason 3: Immersion

Sonic-the-Hedgehog-007.jpg

With anger and sadness camped deep within my heart and showing no signs of moving out. Was escapism really enough to keep my sanity? To not lose myself in the grief I never asked for, or the strong desire for revenge that risked bubbling to the surface. I'd begin to hate everyone irrationally. They can't be trusted, they'll hurt me one way or another. Even if they truly are good people, they'll eventually die and cause me more pain. That's right. Love is my enemy. All the pain I suffered is because of love.

These genuine emotions I'm describing are those around the time a close family member passed away, it was the first time I'd ever experience something like that and I never wanted to experience it again.

I didn't want to be me. I wanted the sadness to stop.

Then comes the immersion. Suddenly I'm subconsciously picking out games to play that featured strong, lovable heroes, who do there own thing in there own way.

01-550x.jpg

To take on the role of a character that can handle the tough stuff, that'll stand up for themselves and wont take shit from nobody. They even do it in "style."

screenshot-grand-theft-auto-3-app-game-6

Then they were times when it didn't matter what type of person was at the lead, just that they did things there own way, and if they were every crossed by another? They'd get what they deserved.

shadowcolossushdreal.jpg

And then there was times when the colossal challenge alone, was enough.

It didn't escape my notice that around this time, the games I was starting to play had a much darker tone to what I'm used too. It's almost symbolic as is kinda matched my emotions at the time.

To this day, those 3 primary reasons remain and are as strong as ever. But the type of immersion I desire has changed heavily.

1839916ji9o7imezd.jpg

At some point it was no longer about the violence that I wanted to be immersed in. In fact, these days I tend to stay away from some of the more violent games, unless I hear or know of a reason I should play one. (Like Platinum Games for example.)

The games I want to be immersed in, have a more social footing. Having lost all confidence in myself, I tend to shy away from social situations and have no real life friends left. But the desire to have friends and be able to talk to them, is a part of me. I get to express that part through these types of games.

Reason 4: Inspiration

the-legend-of-zelda_hyrule-hystoria-e134

Along this bumpy road called life, I eventually learned I had a passion and an inherited talent that could ease the stress I'm under and, with the right guidance, be used to help others as well. Drawing.

Little did I know that games had been inspiring me from the very beginning, but now I'm fully aware of it and often seek it out. Rather then shun a game for being popular, I try to figure out why it's popular. I became such an admirer of these works of fiction in this art form and various others, that I wanted to become a creator of something similar. To be able to bring the same kind of joy I got for so many years, to others who have had a rough life.

To become responsible for others escapism and ease the burden on there lives. That became my goal and I awe it all to so many great and talented people who started us down this path that some of us really need in our times of need.

And while pig headed fools would blame video games on violent actions of kids, they need to wake the hell up and remember something. Violence has been around much, much longer than games have.

Thank you for your patience. Also remember to give thanks to Discoid, Kiah and anyone else who made these 30 days possible. See you around, true believers.

tumblr_m7cf5x1C7c1r5jta4o1_500.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

Nowadays, primarily, I play video games to get immersed in the worlds that they create for the player, whether they be entirely original or based on an existing place in other media or real life. this has always been a big reason for me since I was a child I think, but these days I'm more interested in the lore and characters as opposed to the actual worlds around the characters for the most part (not to say that I don't appreciate a nice world to explore though. Far from it, it'll probably greatly increase my enjoyment).

There used to be one other reason when I was very young, though. When I was a wee babbie, my parents suspected that me and my sister would be unable to do basic functions because of our Autism. When they were given a Mega Drive by a relative in 1993, they did something that many now would probably scold them for; they let us play on the console ourselves. With it, our split-second hand-eye co-ordination vastly improved above the expected level for us and put it more within a normal level. We also had an Amiga, which allowed us to apply the hand-eye co-ordination to mental puzzles. It was a twofer that really helped in my very early childhood. As a bonus, I was able to watch the parents play through Sonic 2 when they tried to beat the game, so we've always used games as family bonding (which still holds true now, given what happened over the last couple of weeks). 

Bonus Day: WHY DO I PLAY GAMES?

LET ME TELL YOU WHY I PLAY GAMES!!

They're fun.

Goodnight morning, everybody! *walks off stage*

end.png

Okay, it isn't

really that simple. I play games because, yes, they're fun, but there's a bit more to it. Games are very unique from other forms of media, obviously due to the interaction aspect. You're in control, which can give a feeling that nothing else can. One could point at, for example, Ace Attorney and say "this could work as a TV show" (and admittedly, that would be awesome), but it wouldn't be able to replace the feeling of first playing the game and figuring things out for yourself.

On top of--and related to--that, immersion and escapism definitely part of my enjoyment of video games. They're also quite the inspiration...but everyone's beating me to all that stuff, ha. So I'll just say again that games are important to me because they offer something very unique from anything else. Video games have been part of my life since I was a kid and I don't see them leaving anytime soon.

...And, y'know, they're fun. tongue.png

Bonus Day: Why do I play games

It's unlike any other medium out there. With movies and TV shows, when you watch them for the first time you obviously don't know what's gonna happen, and that's nice and all, but watch them a second time and so on, and the experience is duller because you already know what happens. Music can provide a different experience depending on what circumstance it's played but if you just listen to a song over and over again, you don't really think much of it. It's just entertaining because it's occupying your brain. This can apply to many other forms of media. Games are an extremely unique medium because of their interactivity. Every time you have a new session with a game you'll most likely have a different experience. If you replay a game from the beginning I guarantee that you'll not play it the exact same way as you did the first or second time you completed said game. It keeps things fresh every time.

Another point I should make is how powerful they are when it comes to escapism. Sometimes you just need a break from life. Games can take you to all these worlds were you can do or be things which are most often impossible to be in real life. Sure, other forms of media do it too but as I said, they lack interactivity. The interactivity engrosses you in the world, and sometimes you can be so immersed that time just passes by so quickly. Games can also be used as therapy. Are you pissed the hell off? Boot up an open world game and kill a whole bunch of virtual people. It'll make you feel better...and it's better than actually, y'know, going out and releasing that anger on real people.

Lastly, most importantly, and most obviously. They're just so bloody fun!

• Thumbs Up 2

I play video games for fun, story, to go on adventures and most importantly to find friends and prove that autists can be great at video games to. You can read more on that in a PD thread I made.

Bonus: Why Do You Play Games:

There are a number for reasons why I like playing video games. First off I like the simplicity of the idea of interacting within a game by using a wireless/non-wireless controller or game-pad. That I can control the characters actions and make them do what I want, get lost in the fictional universe which I am presented with. I enjoy the unique challenge that each games brings, getting to grips with the controls, learning from my mistakes and mastering the gameplay. Trial and error is a big part of playing games and is immensely rewarding for me. 

I find video games to be very educational. Some games tackle real life/real world issues which are portrayed in unique and creative ways. I find games can be a great source for language - the onscreen dialogue and voice acting - and numerical teaching. There are some games like TLOU wherein I find myself getting surprisingly emotionally involved, which I think is a good thing because deep emotions are things we have to deal with in real life, and I'm mighty impressed when a video game makes me feel sad, shed a tear or two, is thought provoking.

I'm fascinated by how creative level design can be, the often beautiful graphical presentation, aesthetics and the effort that goes into making the unique soundtracks. I have no regrets with the amount of time I have spent playing video games which are a rewarding experience, and I consider myself lucky to be alive in a time when technology allows us to experience game like Sonic The Hedgehog which is a wonderful franchise.

When I really get into a game I like to spend my time exploring every inch of the level-layout to find the secrets within and hard to reach/well-hidden items. It's important for me to explore, that way I can appreciate more just how much effort has gone into making the game.

My taste for games has changed over the years. I don't enjoy playing sports games like FIFA 14 or racing games like Gran Turismo anymore. I will always love platform games and many other genres. The simplicity and yet highly addictive challenges they bring. I adore replay value which games such as TLOU, Batman Arkham Asylum/City/Origins, Fallout 3, MGS, Tomb Raider, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Primal, and many many more bring.

I've had a tendency in the past to often stick to sequels and be less inclined to try different types of games. For example, in 2010 when I first heard of Heavy Rain; an 'interactive drama action-adventure game' I turned my nose up thinking "no not for me, I will finding it boring as hell". I never gave it a chance. Then two weeks ago I decided - on a whim - to buy Beyond Two Souls not knowing a thing about it.

Inb4 -Bender- you just bought it because it stars Ellen Page tongue.png  

It was on sale for £15 so I thought I might as well give it a go, and I found that I.........................

beyond-two-souls-walkthrough.jpg

... absolutely hate it absolutely fucking love it. This game has beautiful graphics. The design of the characters - especially around the eyes and other facial features - is some of the best I have ever seen. The presentation is gorgeous. It has a wonderful soundtrack which perfectly fits the often depressing mood of the game. The voice acting is top-draw. Whilst the interaction in these types of game - in terms of basic button input - is different, perhaps unorthodox when compared to games like MGS or Sonic/Mario, I really enjoy the way you control Jodie and the Entity, Aiden. I find the story to be incredibly touching and engaging on an emotional level. This girl sure goes through hell. I wish I had played this game when it came out last year! I will go into more detail why I like BTS in another more appropriate topic.

Anyway my point is I was wrong to ignore this type of game. It's well worth trying all the different types of game genres rather than just dismissing them before you've even tried them. I'm now thinking or buying Heavy Rain and I'm very much looking forward to Quantic Dream's next project on current-gen consoles.  

I also want to say that I love playing video games where you play the lead-role as a female character. I just think it's awesome playing as a female. I hope they continue to make more and more games where a female is the lead-role.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this topic and you've done an amazing job, Discoid!

• Thumbs Up 1

Bonus Round: Why do you play video games?

I play video games because I like the activity. I enjoy having something to do, whether it be challenging myself or simply losing myself in the games world. It really is that interactive aspect that draws me to games as opposed to TV and movies since I don't always have to be involved in a story to enjoy a game. It really is the perfect way to make my own entertainment. Not to mention there really isn't anything else as cathartic.

Bonus question, why do I play games ?

Mostly because I love it. I've been playing video-games since I'm 9 years old, so I've been a gamer for 22 years now. (wow)

There are games that I play just to pass time. There are games that I play because I love their universe/series (like Sonic, Pokémon, Zelda...) or because they have something unique. Some games can bring me to their world like Silent Hill and give me so much emotions. Many games have amazing soundtracks, many games have gorgeous art.

Bonus Day: Why Do You Play Games

Man, I just enjoy the way they allow you to escape from things that might be bothering you. Like say you're having a bad day, you can pop in a game and have some fun to take your mind off it. I suppose I also like how they're more interactive than other media, like you yourself have an impact on how things exactly turn out merely by playing it. They're also good at passing the time by. Plus, they're just so dang fun. Quite no other form of entertainment out there that's quite like it, if ya ask me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I play videogames

Because I want to escape from reality for a moment.

Yeah yeah another short answer. But believe me, it's not because I'm lazy. I just... never stopped to ask myself why do I play videogames. I just do it.

Bonus Day (for some reason had a feeling): Why do I play games?

Well going back in time towards the mid to late 90s when I was just a child, I didn't have any friends (still don't have any to this day) so my parents got me a Mega Drive since I wanted something to do and was starting to get too old of toys and Lego. Books were mainly too stressful, movies I couldn't understand them at the time since I find them upsetting or stressful and not into music, sports or live action TV so I started playing games. While World Rally and the arcade games might be my first games but can't remember, it was Sonic 1 that made me really like video games to where I bought magazines to read reviews and news of the latest games (this was before the Internet, now the Internet replaces magazines for this one) and saved my pocket money to get a game bearing in mind the pricey games were birthday/Christmas presents and mainly had to get Platinum/budget range/pre-owned games until 2012 where I could buy any game at any time.

Why do I still play games towards the present and the future (apart from a small break and even then played on handhelds)? Well like many others have already put it, it escapes how dark and dull life can be especially when times can be difficult or stressful. Playing a game can escape especially where I come from where looking outside is pretty miserable (my bedroom window is okay since it at least shows some trees but not the other window) and the weather is usually cloudy or raining while in games it can be bright and sunny. Game wise, the closest thing to where I live is a combination of GTA IV Liberty City and Gotham City. Some games are even from another world e.g. Mario/Sonic or another time e.g. Call of Duty: World at War/Medal of Honor series/Dynasty Warriors or both like Mass Effect making it easier to escape. Speaking of which relating to the more violent games and certain racing games is that I can do stuff that can be considered illegal in real life and able to enjoy it without any problems considering guns are illegal where I come from plus it can be considering murdering and the inability to drive make it a relief as in can be life threating driving down a road at 100mph+ and crash into a car/wall.

Games are a form of entertainment and in many cases are actually neutral about it unlike magazines, TV shows even channels (e.g. Fox News in the US/BBC in the UK), books and some movies where they show political bias so games gets me away from all that stuff. Even if games had political stuff, it is usually fictional or using historical based enemies such as the Nazis.

Another thing I play games is that in a game (unless certain genre of games such as visual novels) no same outcome can happen twice even when hit by the same enemy it can be a pixel or two away from last time meaning that a game is different every single time. While the cutscenes might be the same and the stages might be the same, the approach is different like going towards a different route (Sonic games, open world and non-linear platformers), using a different technique to defeat an enemy or how a person can be feeling on the day with some days making loads of progress while others stuck on the same part of the same stage. It is the interactivity that makes me enjoy a game whether it is moving the analog stick and pressing buttons or moving around with the GamePad/Steering Wheel. With books, TV shows and movies once I've seen it, it can take a while to forget the events since most of the time what you see is what you get and hard to go back and watch stuff until much of it is forgotten. It is why I haven't watched Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog or some of my movies for a while even though I really do like it since I can still remember events. Some however like some episodes of the Simpsons have stuck into my brain for so long that I can't forget it... With games however even after the game is complete, some games I can go back to whether it is from the beginning or play for fun like the Lego games or Burnout.

With games, I've played them for so long that they are a part of life and the day when I'm unable to play games whether it is eye sight or carpel tunnel will be quite upsetting. I have learnt many things by playing games (cartoons as well) regarding cultures, technical information both within the game and outside the game (e.g. unused stuff in the game, posts from emulation progress) and other things that I can't remember. Books are still stressful for me (and wonder how they get away of not having a rating system when content in books can be worser than games/movies or even anime and no indicator about it) and while I have expanded my movie/TV show collection, it is still limited what I can watch and things still upset/cause me stress. Sports wise, I do like Darts however for many people it isn't considered a sport and gets less attention than the other sports, plus only about to watch it on the rare occasions that they put it on TV so it is a case of busy for 3 days then nothing for months. So games are something that I can play on them daily and even on holiday with the handhelds, plus that I can pick up and play while with movies I have to be in the right mood to really enjoy them.

Most importantly, I play games for fun and most of my games that I have are enjoyable or at least an interesting experience.

GAME OVER YEAH!

• Thumbs Up 1

BONUS DAY:

I play video games because.....well.....they are a lot of fun. I don't play them because "OMG I'm so MLG pro it's my favourite sport", I simply play them to have fun. At the end of the day, that's what video games are designed for, to provide entertainment. They are also a way to experience things that you couldn't or wouldn't want to experience in real life. For example, I highly doubt that anyone here would go kart racing in an airport or try and stop a fat man from turning animals into robots. Sometimes, we all need to escape from reality, and games are a great way to do that. Some games are so immersive it's like you're stepping into another world, and I think that's great as long as you do come back to reality.

I also play them when I'm feeling sad, to try and let of steam. For example, if I'm feeling a little bit down I'll boot something up, and play on my own or with some friends online (if the game permits that). Or if the weather outside is awful, it's a great way to stop myself from being bored.

But, It's sad to see that many people consider gaming as a serious thing, and don't do it to have fun. But each to their own I guess. But it's all in the title, 'video games'. I'll always consider them to be a way to have fun.

Bonus question: why do I play video games?

Well, to put it simply, I play video games because for the most part, I tend to play them to enjoy visuals and inputting stuff on the controllers to watch things move, and have a challenge to complete in a virtual world, or to do tasks a real person can't do in reality.

But to go a bit deeper, I enjoy playing games for how much of a endless in-depth venture into technology it can be. To see how graphics evolve over time, how game developers try to implore new challenges in each game over time, and to see games becoming much more difficult and difficult to master, and the crowd keeps growing...it's a endless venture...

And let's not forget the many fandoms with many of these game series!

Phew, I hope I answered them all decently.

FINAL DAY

Why do I play videogames?

...hm.

Simply put... For fun. For immersion. For the experience and the adventure. For the challenge. For the joy.

It is what it is. Games are many things. And that's why I play them.

Thanks for the fun, Discoid. :)

Final day

Hmmm, I play games to cool off and to have fun, but also explore different worlds, and follow other peoples stories, and to have fun from a different perspective. Also because I love to spend time with friends, and would prefer to do it localy with them in the same room(part of the reasons I collect old systems, and buy Nintendo as well)

So ya, that's my motivation

Day #Bonus: Why Do I Play (... you know... I've been at this for a while and I just can't think of anything to put here... pie?) Games?

cute_overload_rabbit_xbox.jpg

*picture just cause*

Hm, a question I surprisingly think I don't have an answer to. I guess the answer really goes back to when I first heard about them. When the Playstation was mentioned to me I thought it was some kind of toy set that you could do just about anything with. The funny thing is I was both right and wrong at the same time. Video games aren't exactly toy sets but there are so many that you could do damn near anything with them. As time went I began to build an appreciation and enjoy every aspect of them. From hearing a good story to listening to great music. From admiring the graphic detail to just having fun. Video games have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember and I want them to be there for the rest. I love just about everything having to do with the medium and I even hope to be a part of the industry someday. It's my greatest hobby with few other things topping it (family, ect.). It gives me immense enjoyment that just can't be replicated anywhere else.

WHY?

Cos' they suck you in for hours on end to another world on end, to laugh and moan with my friends..to explore as well.

And the basic reason games were created as well. The challenge of clearing obstacles under a controlled environment with rules.

I'm sorry I'm really tired out now so that's all I got.

It was a great run except some of the questions got a bit samey down the middle...

You still deserve a pat on the back, so many entries to wade through..Gratz'

Why do I play games you ask?

I like a medium where I have control and play a part in making the happy ending happen. I like challenging others to races and fisticuffs where no one gets hurt. Video games are a means of doing things you can't typically do in real life, and to me it was never about story telling or any other thing. If the game keeps me engaged through it's design, then I'm a happy guy. I'm in it for the enjoyment of beating a challenging stage, teaching the villain a lesson, beating punks to the ground. So yeah, I play them to have fun. It's not exactly the most poignant reason why, but it's my reason why. I read books or watch a movie for a captivating story for the most part, what drives me in games is what I'm doing in them.