Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 5 - Favourite Indie Game

el_cirujano_con_las_manos_mas_inutiles_e

goddamn this game pissed me off so much. Pretty sure most of you heard of this game, but if you haven't I'll explain very briefly. It's kind of like... QWOP but with surgery. And it's extremely annoying but quite addictive to play. It gives you a lot of freedom, and you can do some crazy stuff. And some dark stuff too but that's up to you. It's a great game, and should be played by everyone for a few laughs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 5 - Favorite Indie Game

Not too hard of a choice here.

meat.jpg

Quite possibly the tightest controls of any 2D platformer ever, an amazing soundtrack, likable characters and Edmund McMillen's signature cute yet gross art style, Super Meat Boy is pretty much the benchmark for what I consider an amazing indie game, and a great game period.  The designers especially payed close attention to something a lot of other developers ignore - how annoying it is to have to wait to get back to the action after you die.  SMB has pretty much the quickest respawn time of any platformer out there, throwing you right back into the short-but-sweet levels in only milliseconds after you bite the dust.

It's not perfect - the bosses aren't very good, and I'm not a huge fan of how some of the bonus levels appear pretty much randomly - but the amount of indescribable challenge this game throws at you is just awe-inspiring.  The levels are expertly crafted and ask a lot of the player without ever being impossible.  Shown most prominently in this area:

Sweet jesus, I felt like the lord and savior of the universe after i completed those levels.

In the end, pretty much the most polished platformer ever, and an amazing experience that pays homage to the classics while, in many ways, improving upon them.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Fez - Extreme developer drama aside, this game is wonderful.  While the puzzles are a bit too obtuse at times and it has a few glitches here and there, the exploration, visual creativity, and simple gameplay all came together to create a fantastic experience.  And it's one of the few modern games to legitimately make me feel like a kid again.

Spelunky - Super hard yet super addicting.  The randomly generated levels really make every playthrough seem like a new adventure, and it really sucks me in.

Rogue Legacy - Similar in concept to Spelunky now that I think about it, but deeper and more RPG-ish in certain aspects.  It's pretty much a roguelike Metroidvania, and it succeeds beautifully at what it sets out to be.  And it got me addicted to an almost Dark Souls-ish degree.

Day 5: Favorite Indie (we don't need a bijillion moneyz to make a decent) Game

2012-08-07_232133_3178348_3198415.jpg

Minecraft

Well that was an easy (and by the looks of it popular) choice. Especially considering I've really only played a handful of titles that could be considered indie. Minecraft is really something special to me though. I literally spent a good part of my summer two years back just building stuff in my world and making villages in some of my other friends' worlds. There's just such a deep level of complexity that really puts it in a league of it's own. Add in the calm music, unique graphics, mods, and community around it and this game has a truly special place in my mind and heart.

And with that the Halo cycle is broken!... for now.

Day 5: FINALLY

I think just about everyone in the thread has echoed my choice, though.

j73ybt.jpg

Cave Story

Darn poop and other such coarse words if this isn't one of the most charming games I've played period, let alone indie game. You've got a rich world, rich characters, rich soundtrack, and rich gameplay that you'd think a whole studio would be behind, and the fact that there was only one guy behind the whole project just makes the quality more astounding. If only more indie games took half the time and effort this one guy did. Dang. It's hard to single anything out because it's all so good. Just go play it, honestly. My words don't do it justice.

• Thumbs Up 1

No intro this time. I need to get to sleep.

Favorite Indie Game: The Stanley Parable

20131114104343!Stanley_parable_cover.jpg

I've been a fan of this game since the original HL2 mod, and the remake is pretty neat too. 

The game might be about a man named Stanley. On the other hand, it might be about video game narratives. It's funny, cool, and it doesn't take itself too seriously, a fact that not only helps it's storytelling, but also helps separate it from the pretentious bullshit the indie scene just can't seem to get enough of. 

It's very clever, and I recommend it. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Favorite Indie Game: The Stanley Parable

Oooooo also recommending this. Fantastic subversive take on the otherwise awful "walk and talk" genre that spawned Dear Esther and Gone Home

spelunky.jpg

Spelunky is the game that gave me back the wonderful feeling of wonder and curiousity. The fact that that the levels are randomly created everytime makes every play session different from the last one. I also love how the game is quite difficult, makes you think about your actions carefully before acting, since the game is filled with traps and monsters you have to avoid, or even simple things as falling damage being your greatest enemy in the game as your health and other supplies are so limited.

It's hard for me to describe, but Spelunky makes me feel like an adventurerer, unlike other games in which I simply play one. It's so difficult, yet fun, you'll die a lot, but you'll just keep on trying just because you wanna find out which challenges has the next world in store.

Also, the HD version of the game has a superfun, bomberman like multiplayer, just in 2D, which is just crazy, ricidulous fun with friends. biggrin.png

Runner Ups: Cave story (Everything I love about this game has been mentioned multiple times here) and Machinarium (great, artistic Point and Click adventure with a wonderful atmosphere)

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 4 - Favorite Indie Game

800px-Nidhogg_video_game_logo.png

Nidhogg_video_game_screenshot_1.png

When I'm craving 1v1 fights and Smash just isn't doing it for me, I've got Nidhogg to play. This game is good chaotic fun. Your main goal is just to get to your opponent's end of the stage, but you and your opponent are about as durable as a Waddle Dee; get hit with the sword once, you're dead. But fighters have unlimited lives here, so while you're trying to get to the end, you have to deal Player 2's constant assault while trying to keep your guy alive - you die even once before you reach the end, the other player can then try to rush to his end. The game becomes a constant back and forth between the two players, especially if they are evenly skilled. I've seen matches in this fast-paced game go over 10 minutes, it just gets that intensive.

And to keep things fresh, there are a lot of hilarious tricks you can pull to maneuver around the other guy. Wall-jumping, divekicking, rolling, cartwheels, crawling, and my favorite, "baby jumping". I recall a Nidhogg tournament I entered in against players who had been at it since release, while I had only played Nidhogg once before, and I won by just going crazy between rolling and baby jumping. XD 

Simple art. Simple objective. Simpleish controls. Only to get eaten by the giant worm at the end. But it's just so fun. 

Well I haven't really played much indie games, so I'll just go with the 2 I have played.

Tiny wings

It's not the best game ever, but it's fun to play sometimes, there's not much to do. The graphics and overall look of the game are cute. I don't have to much to say about it.

Badlands

I download this a while ago but never played it until today. It's fun, I haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet. I like the graphics, and sound, the rainforest feel is neat.

There is one game I've never played but I've wanted to since it came out, and that's audiosurf. It looks really fun, and it's cool that you uses your own music, it looks like it's one of the few games that autogen actually works.

Skullgirls

I'm also going with Skullgirls.

402px-Skullgirls_gamefan_magazine_cover_

This fighting game has an amazing art style, great animations, and unique cast of characters.

It sucks that a lot of the planned content wasn't able to make it in due to some of the development team being laid off. Fortunately, the help of fans, they're still able to add features and add few new fighters.

Day 4 - Favourite "Blows Ninja's corporate sell out straight out of the water" Indie Game

I don't really play any Indie games, so I only really had one choice

Minecraft-logo.png

Minecraft is a pretty fun game, going off on your own little adventure, exploring some of the tunnels and dungeons on the map, and digging your own ones. It's neat :V.

The best part is probably the creative aspect of it though, building up huge forts and structures to call your own. Looking down from the mighty buildings at the lowly creatures that crawl across the land (until you fall and die that is V:). And there's all the pixel re-creations you see using Minecraft, which are amazing once you play the game and realize how time consuming it must actually be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Still not entirely sure whether this counts, but Wikipedia does say Double Fine is an indie developer. And if Wikipedia says it, it must be true!

games_psychonauts.png

One of the funniest and most charming games I've played. From the memorable characters and excellent voice acting, to the creative level design and challenging platforming. Psychonauts truly deserves its status as a cult hit.

While the main quest is great (Milkman Conspiracy is best level), it's quite enjoyable to wander around the campgrounds finding collectibles and soak in the vibrant atmosphere. NPCs can have tons of dialogue. You'll often find yourself standing in one place listening to characters and presenting inventory items to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was going to make a Cinco de Mayo pun but then I realized that it wasn't funny so I'm just going to put this here instead... um yeah it's Day 5: Favorite Indie Game... wait, what do you mean the mic is still on? Turn that o- 

4166159_190x318.jpeg

If I hadn't changed my avatar recently, you probably could've guessed, it's Touhou Project, all of it. it spawned my favorite character, my favorite song (or at least in my top 3 favorites), and hell, one of my favorite games too. The amazing part though? It's all done by one man. One man with amazing music talent might I add, I truly admire his composition ability.

If I had to single one out for this entry, ugh that's tough. They're all fantastic gameplay wise. My only complaint is that I just wish they weren't so hard sometimes so I could get the good ending on all of them. They're still pretty accessible to newcomers depending on the game if you've never played a Bullet Hell before though and I really like that, just avoid Touhou 11 if it's your first time playing.

Ultimately I'd have to say Touhou 7: Perfect Cherry Blossom though. That was my first I played and fully beat without using any continues (which says a lot because that's really bloody hard to do even when on Normal). It's Sakuya's first playable appearance and the story/graphics/music/atmosphere were lovely. Out of all the ones I played, I also feel 7 was the most forgiving and accessible to play so that's just another reason why I love and recommend it.

Also if Touhou doesn't count for some reason, then I vote Stanley Parable. That's another brilliant title, and I'm glad to see it mentioned a few times around here as well. Not much else I can say about it that hasn't already been said other than 8. That's all. Just 8. 

Previously on Day 4:

Next time on Day 6:

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 5: Favorite Indie GameMinecraft-minecraft-19670226-1600-900.jp

Minecraft is obviously everyone's favorite (seeing recent posts lol), and it's mine as well. Mainly for the PC because of the endless amount of awesome mods that people make for it. I have logged so many hours into Minecraft, it's not even funny (stop that laughing!). Anyways, I have seen a bunch of awesome Sonic mods that have piqued my interest, but there are too many to list, enough to make the game crash if your PC isn't powerful enough to handle it, including all the texture packs that can make the game seem more realistic.

I have seen some insane Minecraft builds across the internet that completely dwarf my own projects such as huge castles and replicas of real cities. For me, I've always wanted to build Station Square from Sonic Adventure with all the other adventure fields tied to it, including the Egg Carrier out at sea. A big project for me, I'm sure, but it can be worth it in the end when you make a team death match game type out of it. Another great thing about the PC version is game hosting with more friends that the Xbox 360 edition allows at once, with mods included which makes playing with friends even more crazy and enjoyable. Even if you don't feel like building crazy stuff and just want to go for the survival aspect, that's just as fun. Exploring the huge labyrinth of cave systems and collecting resources can be quite relaxing, until a wild Creeper appears and ruins all the fun for you and your spelunking crew while trying to search for diamonds (if you play with friends of course).

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 5 - Favourite Indie Game

Audiosurf 2

header.jpg?t=1380734993

I had never played the first but due to Eleventh Doc's post I impulse bought the second. It's really addictive, mesmerising and I have no idea what goes on. The reaction time you need is ridiculous.

Anyway the big improvement in the second is Wakeboarding which is insanely fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaiJ1jD8Wl4

Day 5: Favourite Indie Game Part 2

So I yesterday, but I was a little pushed for time while I was writing that post and didn't get a chance to ramble on about another one of my favourites. And I've not seen anyone else mentioning it in the topic and it's a game I'd like to recommend to people, so just going to throw in an additional post before the question changes.

z9AP59Z.png

I paid $1 for a Humble Bundle a while ago and this was one of the games that was included, and it's the best dollar I've ever spent.

Offspring Fling is a game I love for similar reasons to . You're a mother rabbit-thing who's lost her children in the forest and you have to gather all the babies scattered around in each level and get them to the goal gate safely. The only controls are the direction keys, jump and throw babies and it seems like a simple enough game when you start out, but it gets so much more complicated and addictive as it goes on.

The puzzles are well thought out and it sometimes takes you a while to figure out just how you're supposed to reach a baby or make it to the goal gate while carrying one as it slows you down and prevents you from jumping higher.

You also get a blue, yellow or rainbow flower depending on how well you do on the stage, and that's the reason I've kept playing the game for as long as I have. Each level has dev times that you need to beat to get a rainbow flower and there's an achievement for earning all of them as well as more secret levels that can be unlocked, and to do this you need to complete all the stages as fast as you can without a single mistake. Some of the stages seem absolutely impossible to beat and you find yourself playing them over and over just to knock another millisecond off your previous time, and although it does get frustrating at times it is still enjoyable and is what got me hooked on the game as it's immensely satisfying when you manage to get another flower.

I also love the art style and it looks just like something you would have found on the SNES and has quite a Yoshi's Island vibe to it, and while the soundtrack might get a little repetitive for some people after a while, it also captures the feel of something straight out of the 16-bit era and I love how upbeat and cheerful it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K08WWwP_LGI

I'd recommend Offspring Fling to anyone who loves classic platformers. It's got some excellent level designs and loads of replay value if you're interested in getting 100%, and even if not it's still quite fun to play through.

Although be warned: You will get addicted.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok, I got one.

Day 5: Favorite Indie Game.

You ever wanted a game to play with your friends, but didn't know what to play...well here is:

Castle_Crashers_cover.jpg

Castle Crashers manages to be as vulgar and audacious as possible , and yet still maintains a fun experience. Each character has a varied moveset and spells to make use of, and the visuals are deliciously cartoony. If you want a decent multiplayer experience, as well as a good laugh. This game is for you. 

Day 5: Favorite Indie Game

I've never really looked at indie games, honestly - the only one I've ever tried was The Stanley Parable - the older free mod for HL2 rather than the standalone release. From what I've seen though the full game itself carries the same kind of unique, surreal and meta plot and humor throughout, so I guess it fits here. Granted, it probably belongs here by default anyway thanks to a lack of candidates, but it is still a nice piece of work on its own.

I too have just remembered another game (well, 2) and they are definitely Indie Games!

Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentleman Please! from Zombie Cow Studios, or specifically, made by Ben and Dan. They're a pair of point-and-click adventure games starring the people who made them, and are also a huge love letter to the genre itself.

The plot is nonsense, the hraphics low tech, and there's no voice acting, with very little music. But the script. THE SCRIPT. It is absolutely hilarious from start to finish, watching these guys fumble their way through the puzzles causing chaos as they go.

The first game was free, but I think now you can only get the remastered edition whch costs a dollar or two...or you can get it free by buying the second. Seriously, do it.

Come on down and visit El Swanko Casa.

This beautiful, ever-expanding waterfront property has it all.

2014-05-06_07.06.46.png

Infinite sugar cane.

2014-05-06_07.07.05.png

Pointlessly elaborate swimming pools.

2014-05-06_07.07.17.png

Glass roofs that the fucking spiders can see you through even though the Minecraft Wiki says they can't.

2014-05-06_07.08.10.png

Extremely secure doors for the overly paranoid.

2014-05-06_07.07.28.png

Disused mineshafts

2014-05-06_07.07.46.png

Leaky roofs

2014-05-06_07.08.25.png

Beds!

2014-05-06_07.08.38.png

More glass ceilings!

2014-05-06_07.09.37.png

Naturally occurring pointlessly elaborate swimming pools.

2014-05-06_07.10.14.png

Liquid hot "MAGMA".

2014-05-06_07.09.56.png

Obscene wastes of resources

2014-05-06_07.09.09.png

Hamburgers

2014-05-06_07.08.53.png

Pretentious looking vine use

2014-05-06_07.14.06.png

Garbage disposal

2014-05-06_07.16.10.png

Bedrock

2014-05-06_07.16.00.png

A secret volcano lair

2014-05-06_07.15.12.png

Elaborate naturally occurring caves I'm too afraid to fully explore!

2014-05-06_07.17.21.png

Beautiful scenery!

2014-05-06_07.11.40.png

Private military contracters.

2014-05-06_07.12.27.png

Kitteh

2014-05-06_07.10.46.png

Puppeh

2014-05-06_07.12.00.png

Nyeh, Squidward

2013-06-17_22.31.01.png

The room the fucking spiders keep spawning in.

2014-05-06_07.11.11.png

Obscenely wasteful, conveniently located public transportation.

2012-10-25_16.31.30.png

2013-11-03_12.42.20.png

Neighbours!

2014-05-06_07.12.47.png

2014-05-06_07.13.00.png

2013-11-04_09.35.49.png

Pointlessly elaborate base hundreds of yards away from the other one, unused for the propensity for spiders to walk in!

All yours for the low price of $26.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 6 - Favorite Level

MGSGZ1.jpg

Camp Omega - Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

Hinted at this one before, lol. This level is... man. I don't think I've ever had so much fun with a single level before. It's so expansive and open, and allows for an unprecedented amount of player freedom. Developers always like to throw out buzzwords about how each player's experience will be unique and different, but in this case, it's more true than its ever been. I genuinely guarantee you that if you got twenty people to play through it blindly, each one would have a completely different scenario play out. It's absolutely astounding.

The gameplay on display here is the stealth genre perfected. I've spent upwards of twenty hours on Camp Omega, and I've loved every minute of it.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Last time, I said The Milkman Conspiracy from Psychonauts. In keeping with the request to be different though, let's go for...Mariachi Madness in Rayman Legends.

All of the musical levels in Rayman Legends are brilliant and a joy to play, but this is my favourite purely for the arrangement of Eye of the Tiger. Such a simple idea, but executed flawlessly.

I also have a soft spot for the final 8-bit level, for the ridiculous lengths the game goes to try and distract you.

Day 6: Favourite Level

I would've chosen Jungle Joyride from Sonic Unleashed but I REALLY want to follow the "try to avoid using Sonic if possible" rule, so...here you go.

1000px-Locomotion.jpg

Train-wrecked.png

Chapter 13 (Locomotion) to Chapter 15 (Train Wrecked) - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Yes, it is 3 chapters but it is still the same level, it's just split into 3 parts.

This is the level which showed me why Uncharted is amazing. The action, the set-pieces, the explosions, OMG it was such an adrenaline rush. Normally set-pieces like this will only be reserved for cutscenes but the fact that this was all real time and seamless was mind blowing, not to mention the gradual transfer from the tropical to snowy scene was awesome.

Granted, I haven't finished Uncharted 3 yet but nothing in that game comes close to this so far. More of this in Uncharted PS4 please!

The runner-up for me will be Freezeflame Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy. I just find the concept of fusing two total opposites into one level VERY interesting.

Day 6: Favorite Level

Probably the first dungeon in OoT. I know it sounds cliche, but it was a great kind of learning ground to kick of the rest of the game. Despite having the Deku Tree die shortly afterwords, I still walked away feeling aconplished and excited for the rest of the game that awaited. It's a good thing I've never had any issues with spiders, because that dungeon is FULL of them. The part with the Deku scrubs always confused me, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 6: Favourite Level

I'm not really one for picking favourite levels, so I'll just put a couple of levels that I really think highly of.

Bob-Omb Battlefield from Super Mario 64. I just loved how open this level was, and it has some very interesting areas to go to. The music is catchy as fuck too.

Modern Seaside Hill from Sonic Generations. This is one stage where the boost gameplay really shines. I mean, really bright (like a diamond!). The level didn't feel all that linear, it had a fuck ton of alternate pathways, implemented gimmicks well without any forcing, and and a good balance between platforming and speed. The visuals and music are gorgeous too (dat Ocean Palace remix <3).

And finally, there's......

Jungle Joyride from Sonic Unleashed. Performance issues aside, this level was exhilarating, plain and simple. First you're running along wooden jetties, then you're boosting through the jungle with robots chasing you down, then you're playing Jesus and running across water, then you're back into the jungle, and boosting through temples. The level was very challenging for me at first, but that's why I liked it so much. I can S rank it easily now, but I still love the level and I hope we see more environments like this in future Sonic games.

I didn't mention anything Donkey Kong because I'm a sad fuck and I haven't played any DKC games before. But I swear, if Nintendo put them back up on the Virtual Console, I'll buy them, just don't hurt me! ;_;

• Thumbs Up 2