Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

I managed to narrow this question down to one game, but I'm not able to pick just one.

First, Sei'an City from Okami:

1CMjWfk.jpg

The first half of Ryoshima Plains is home to Sei'an City, a part that I always look forward to when I replay Okami; it's the most populated area and there's lots to do. It's essentially the central hub for the game's second story arc and the tasks you have to accomplish do not disappoint, from having to rescue the emperor in miniscule form to the long journey to infiltrate Queen Himiko's palace - making a quick stop at an abandoned pirate ship on the seafloor just outside of the city's walls while you're at it. Not to mention it features some of the most shocking swerves in the storyline, paving the way to one of the best climatic boss fights in recent memory.

I love city levels in games in which you could have tons of fun just simply walking around taking everything in. Sei'an is one of those levels for me.

8q1wPFg.jpg

Kusa Village is fucking beautiful - I have a huge weakness for villages built on mountainsides in stories. Like most of Okami's areas, this is one I enjoy walking around at my own leisure before rushing to my next objective. This is a bit of a weird choice as the Canine Warriors mission does not really stick out to me as a favorite, but the other major thing to do here involves a highly memorable dungeon in the form of a massive windmill you must climb. Reaching the top is only one of many of the game's breathtaking moments.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day: 6 Favourite Level...

Going to have to do something a little different here....

Spec Ops: The Line ---- That one stage... You know... The one which you... You know?

One of my favourite levels would be a stage from Spec Ops: The Line.... however, I cannot tell you which stage it is... because it's different for everyone who plays it. But everyone who has played it agrees it's the best stage. 

That level is the one where you realise the undeniable truth...

That....

50300_screenshots_2012-11-29_00014.jpgthis is all your fault.

Spec Ops starts as a rather unoriginal cover shooter... then very subtly, you get the feeing that something isn't quite right. The main character starts making odd glances to the camera. The deisions you make always seem to end badly, even though you can see a positive outcome and know theres a way to get it, just something always stops it from working out.

Wait... why am I shooting American soldiers? I thought I was here to kill.... wait? I thought this was a rescue mission.

Wait... Why am I here? 

Why am I still playing...... .... What's happening to me.. . .no... My character... not me, why did I say me? What's happening to my character? Wait, something isn't right.

Why does the screen fade to black at that moment, why does my reflection come into focus just before the main character does? 

Oh my god... I get it now! 

This IS all my fault!

My favourite level, is the stage when you realise... that it really was.

Journey --- Apotheosis

The interpretation to this stage has been debated constantly, and will likely be debated for years to come.

Journey+Apotheosis.JPG

The build up is stunning, you fight to control your character in the last stage, you want him to go further on... when he... falls... You don't want him to give up, you want him to go on... but he doesn't... and then... Something wonderful happens...

Contains a huge spoiler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKZ_wnMLlk

Have you died?

Did you make it?

Is this what you were searching for?

Were you ever really alive to start with?

Was this your birth?

Was this your journey to die? Or was it your journey to live?

Payday: The Heist --- First World Bank.

screenshots_bank01.jpg

Payday's very first mission is by far one of my favourites, you enter a bank... and rob it. How you do it is upto you, but every time you enter the bank, things change, enemy waves, locations of items, hostage locations. It feels like your first time every time. Really awesome start to a game.

There's probably a few others, but these ones were the first to come to mind.

P.S. There's another I wanna say... but since I imagine there's going to be a favourite ending day.... 

sabo.jpg

"It's only been 6 days... and I'm just gettin' started...."

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 6: Favorite level

Hmm, well like Sean I want to pick the WHOLE of Okami, that game is just brilliant!

However as Sean pretty much nailed it and because I wanna be a bit different im going to go with

Rainbow Road (Yeah I know i'm crazy!)

I really love the Rainbow Road levels from Mario Kart. They are always challenging, using all the skills you have (hopefully) learnt doing the first 3 cups, plus the Music and aesthetics are just breathtaking!

My two favorite in particular are Rainbow Road DS and Rainbow Road Wii

hqdefault.jpg

(Do I get bonus points for having a Waluigi Picture?)

Rainbow Road DS

This was, from what I can remember, my first time playing a rainbow road track ever. I never owned DD for myself, even though I played it at my friends quite often. It really was breathtaking, full of corkscrews and loops it really felt like the end of the road (pun intended). It left a really big impression on me, of course it helped I was good at drifting which massively helps in going round the course, at speed, successfully.

mario_kart_wii___rainbow_road_by_fatalit

Rainbow Road Wii

This was a whole new experience in itself, based heavily off of Mario Galaxy, the music is astounding and the whole track is a spectavcle, especially that first huge drop! drifting deifnately helps!

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 6: Favorite Level

The Deus Ex Series had some pretty memorable levels, so lets do one from the latest and one from the first. Since the series never had a second game in between them at all, no sir.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Omega Ranch

Omegaranch-cropped.png

First off, Omega Ranch, the penultimate level of Human Revolution, and I would say it's one of the best levels in the game. By this point in the game, you're probably upgraded your character to do whatever you want him to do, and he'll do it very, very well. This level caters to all those playstyles you might wanna go for. You like hacking? Here's some robots and turrets you can control. You like sneaking? Have some tense areas with chest high walls to sneak past. You like fighting? Have a whole lot of tough grunts. This is pretty much the last place in the game where you can show off all that stuff, so it's nice that it includes it all. Other than this, I'll give points to the Tai Yong Medical level for being the prettiest level in the game, and having that vending machine guy to throw vending machines at.

Deus Ex - Hong Kong

deusex-hongkong.jpg

Hong Kong serves as more of a hub than a level, but it's one of the more memorable points in the game for me, probably because it's a turning point for the whole game. Before, all your missions were in different places of New York City, which I found kind of tiring. But once you reach Hong Kong, then you get to go on missions exploring crazier and crazier locations. Hong Kong is where Deus Ex starts really becoming Deus Ex.

Plus you have this music to greet you once you finally get to it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gonna try and go after some game series I haven't talked about yet.

191192156.jpg

Finkton - Bioshock Infinite

Finkton in Bioshock Infinite is home with some of my favorite areas, story events and enemy encounters. Fighting off the Handyman. Joining up with the Vox in combat. Taking out an airship. All memorable stuff.  It's also one of my favorite areas in the game aesthetically second only to Soldier's Field. 

Prime_Trilogy_Promotional_Thardus_Phendr

Phendrana Drifts - Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime doesn't really have a localion I dislike, but the Drifts have always stood out to me for it'd amazing music, top notch level design, amazing music, all around fun enemy encounters, and amazing music. 

RO_HD_GC_SizeChange--article_image.jpg

Gourmand Land -  Rayman Origins

Gourmand Land is really where Rayman Origins sort of hits it's stride. The level is actually a pretty simple idea. Take the generic fire and ice tropes from video games and combine them with food. It's a joy to play through though. It's one of the fastest moving levels in the game, so mastering the levels within it just feels satisfying.

uncharted-2-Train-shootout.jpg

The Train -  Uncharted 2: Among Thieves 

Uncharted 2's absolute high point on all fronts was in this area of the game. The action on the train is fast paced, creative, and satisfying with the player remaining in control the whole time. The scenery gradually changes around you from the village you escaped from to an icy mountain top. Taking out enemies by forcing them off the train, knocking off supplies they're standing on, triggering explosives...it's just impressive that it was all pulled off so seamlessly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 6: Favourite Level that isn't Rooftop Run

Going to have to keep this one short as I don't have time to do a detailed post tonight, so just going with the first two that came to mind. Both are from Banjo-Kazooie and I couldn't choose between either of these stages, although I love them both for different reasons...

5FtjpIo.jpg

From a technical standpoint, Click Clock Wood is hands down the best level in the game.

It’s the final stage before you face off against Gruntilda and you can tell that Rare decided to go all out with it. When you enter the main hub for the level, you’re greeted with four doors that each represent a different season and are just able to enter Spring to start off with until you unlock the others.

Actions that you take in each of the four seasons will influence the others. For example, there’s a large beanstalk-esque flower that will only grow depending on the time of year and whether you’ve taken the appropriate actions to nurture it during the other seasons. And it’s required that you do so if you want to collect all the Jiggies. You also get to raise an eagle hatchling throughout the seasons and will be rewarded with another Jiggy when he reaches adulthood. You also won't be able to visit Mumbo to transform in certain seasons as he will refuse due to it being too hot to work, or else he just won't be there as he'll have gone vacation or will be busy raking up leaves depending on the season.

There's some cool little callbacks to previous levels, and you even come across a character who you met earlier in the game that has now decided to take up refuge in Click Clock Wood. Although he might not be quite as pleased to see you...

All the seasons have just enough variations to make them interesting and it never feels repetitive when you find yourself visiting the level multiple times. The BGM also changes depending on whether it's spring, summer, autumn or winter which is quite a cool touch. The stages are detailed enough to stand up on their own, but it's the little touches like that which just make it all the more perfect.

But despite all that, it's not quite my favourite stage in the game... or at least it has some strong competition...

Bb0yA2V.jpg

I've always loved winter-themed levels in games and Freezeezy Peak has to be the most charming one I've come across.

Click Clock Wood might be an absolute masterpiece of a stage, but Freezeezy Peak is the more nostalgic one for me and I suppose that's why I love it so much. The stage itself is just the embodiment of Christmas from the advent calendar entrance to releasing the Twinklies (little anthropomorphic Christmas lights, and also the trigger for of my favourite pieces of BGM in the game) and lighting up the tree (and earning a Jiggy for your troubles). You also have to find some missing presents for some kids, and later get to challenge their father to a sledding competition after you've turned into Walrus Banjo and it's one of the more fun sections of the game.

I used to play a couple of particular games and stages around Christmas every year and this was one of them, and part of me always associates it with those times when I play through it now and it always makes me smile.

Despite its cheerful appearance, it was also one of the more challenging stages in the game thanks to the giant snowman that could only be destroyed by flying and beak bombing the targets on their hats, and the slippery ground that could send you spiralling into enemies or the icy water... which also took down your health if you stayed in there long enough. Unless you were in your walrus form of course.

I could go on and would do if I wasn't so tired, but those are just a few of the reasons why it's my favourite.

• Thumbs Up 5

Since a few people mentioned Click Clock Wood I just wanna give a tiny bit of gushing about it - I adore the sense of progress between seasons and I have to say I get a little emotional when Eiree leaves.  Especially since you couldn't replay B-K's levels in the same way you could Mario 64's.  When I was a kid, it'd be a looong time before I made it back to Click Clock Wood on a new file so I always relished every moment.

Just going through every season feels like such a journey, and Winter is such a gorgeous moment of calm before the finale.  Like with Spirit Temple and how I was saying it's so pleasant compared to the dramatic, typically dark finale in Ocarina of Time, I think I have a real thing for games where the last "normal" level is something either upbeat or peaceful compared to the true final stage, be it a full stage or a smaller, less typical stage.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oops, I'm late to the party but here's mine!

Day 6; Favorite level:

Lorule-Castle-Entrance.png

...Lorule Castle!

aLBW was an amazing and fun game, but I especially enjoyed Lorule Castle. It was intense, and mysterious. Hilda raised the barrier, and I went into Adventure head-on! The mini-bosses were fun- I didn't particularly like the Wallmasters, though - and the puzzles made such sense to me, I loved the feeling of being on the ball. But what makes this level my favorite was the end...Hilda, demanding the triforce and turning frickin' crazy, and Yuga and how he usurped all that power and then went into the walls. It was the most fun of the game, and I'll certainly remember it.

Is this adequate for an answer...

• Thumbs Up 2

NPC!_MP_Screen_20.png

Phendrana Drifts

Phendrana Drifts is my favourite ice level ever. I always have a great deal of fun when I travel through this place. Its fantastic music, great visuals, weather effects create a strong atmosphere here. It also includes a great deal of things to shoot at and one of my favourite bosses in the game.

just that music, hnnnnggggg

Well, someone mentioned Ace Attorney, so I feel a-ok talking about this.

Day 6

Favorite Level

De_killer_card_zpsac489648.jpg

Phoenix Wright:  Ace Attorney: Justice For All

Case 2-4 | Farewell, My Turnabout

Justice For All is by no means the best game in the Ace Attorney series.  The first 3 cases are pretty boring, with the 3rd being borderline terrible for a variety of reasons (about 20 of them being Moe).  Drudging through the first 3 cases is entirely worth it however, because 2-4 makes up for every fault they have.

Case 2-4 is an extraordinary thrill ride that challenges almost everything you believe in; it's almost perfect in every way imaginable.  It's an unpredictable case where the outcome could have been anything, and is by far the best Ace Attorney has to offer.

The case starts as a giant callback to Case 1-3, featuring many of 1-3's cast.  It's about the murder of a superstar, and another superstar is blamed for the murder.  Just got to save the superstar and things will be a-ok.  Well things aren't that simple, as one of your best friends gets kidnapped by an assassin and is being held hostage until the defendant gets proven not-guilty.  Suspicious on the defendant's part, but the magic relic you receive early in the game (that can tell whether or not someone is hiding something from you) can't pick up anything so we'll roll with it.  This game's prosecutor, Franziska von Karma is incapacitated by the previously mentioned assassin, so the main prosecutor from the last game, Miles Edgeworth

*swoons* makes a triumphant return. 

Things go downhill quickly.

Again, it's interesting just how many parallels can be drawn from this case to others.  The first is of course with the previously mentioned Case 1-3.

will-nervous(a).gif

Will Powers the defendant of 1-3 has the face of a thug but has a heart of gold.

matt-normal(a).gif

Matt Engarde, the defendant of 2-4 has the face of an angel...

matt-flip.gif

...but is a heartless bastard.  That's the big twist of the case, your client for once is actually guilty.  Your magic relic didn't pick up on it because he technically didn't lie to you, and therefore had nothing to hide.  He didn't kill the victim, he hired an assassin to do it for him.  This is also an interesting parallel between Phoenix and Edgeworth.  Edgeworth learned from Phoenix in the previous game that the accused isn't always guilty, and Phoenix now has to learn the hard way that all defendants won't be innocent.  

The answer should be simple then, let Edgeworth tear Engarde a new asshole and get the Guilty verdict, however the assassin is still holding your friend hostage, so that's a no-go.  There's only 3 ways to win; wait for your detective friend and the police to capture the assassin and rescue your friend, make the assassin break his contract with his client, or make Engarde want the guilty verdict.  The most feasible way of going about the trial quickly goes down the drain as the police can't catch him; at the same time the assassin offers himself as a witness to the trial (via radio communication) as to who hired him.  He lies, saying someone other than Matt hired him, of course.  Meanwhile, the police may not have been able to catch the assassin, they did catch him off guard, and he left behind some evidence in his haste to move to another location.

Evidence isn't really good to have right now because if Phoenix does prove the assassin's client to be Engarde, it's all over.  However, it's the only thing they got at the moment, so you have to stall as long as fucking possible, hoping a miracle happens.  

The "miracle" never happen. 

Ok, not yet, but your friend got into a car wreck and is currently out of the game and so is the evidence.  The assassin is getting very irritated and is about ready to kill your friend because you're not cooperating at all.  Then BAM.

frannydoorbreaker.png

Bitch prosecutor from the last 2 cases, Franziska von Karma to the rescue.  You're given a few items, one of which you must present to the assassin or it's game over.  As it turns out, the assassin highly values the trust between him and his client, and Engarde is anything but trustworthy.  Engarde had blackmail on the assassin, and the assassin is pissed.  Deal's off, Engarde is no longer his client, and the assassin vows to bring back your friend safe... however, Engarde is now top spot on his hit list.

Engarde doesn't like that one bit, and claws his face out in shit-spewing fear of what the assassin is going to do to him, screaming that he's Guilty. 

Beautiful.

It's thrilling, has just as many comedic moments as it does serious.  Here we see Phoenix in his absolute worst situation, the only thing that could save everything was a miracle, and he was just lucky enough to get it.  The chemistry between him and Edgeworth is stronger than ever as they both try to pursue the same goal.

It's not about whether or not the defendant is "Guilty" or "Not Guilty".  What matters in the end is the truth.

• Thumbs Up 6

I have many favorite levels from different games but I'll talk about this one since it's recent.

Kirby Triple Deluxe

sddefault.jpg

So in the last Area, Royal Road, there's this stage where Kirby breaks into the castle and has to save these fairy princesses. In some of the rooms he has to maneuver around these giant Chaos Emeralds in these golden rooms. It's interesting because besides the regular Kirby enemies and Taranza, you don't meet any other characters or inhabitants of Floralia until this stage.

Bramble Scramble, baby.

My favorite game of all time is DKC2, and this is arguably the best level in the whole game. Though it is hard to choose, they're all so good. Everything about this level is perfect. It's got motherfucking Stickerbush Symphony, which may be David Wise's best song ever(even if I prefer Forest Interlude), it's got Squawks AND Squitter, beautiful scenery, and is plain fun. I almost always just stop in the middle of the level to soak in the atmosphere. I know plenty of people despise the bramble levels, but they're some of my favorites, and Bramble Scramble is by far the best. I could cheat and just use DKC2 as my answer, because I love every goddamn level, so believe me, this was a tough choice.

Kloak65.jpg

Day 6: Favourite level:

Abiding by the non-Sonic rule, but sticking to my favourite genre of the Platformer...

...I got to thinking about some of the perhaps less common games that I have enjoyed over the years.

Randomly browsing through my games I saw my copy of Mr.Nutz for the Mega Drive, and thought of a level from that...

...The Fowl Kitchen. Why this level, well I like the way it happens, Mr.Nutz enters a house and makes his way to the Kitchen, whilst there he encounters a bizarre array of enemies (Cooked Chickens, Lightbulbs with feets, Snails, Wine Bottles, Bees - and Rabbits?) as he climbs the shelves and cupboards of the huge kitchen. The level is great as it is colourful graphically and and enjoyable to play (it is an easy level due to it being early on in the game). Mr.Nutz has to reach the top and drink from a little goblet thing, this creates a turn of events that sends him to the second part of the level (which is arguably even better). Not gonna spoil that for those who haven't played it. But yeah, nice level, simple fun, inventive enemies and visuals (plus hazards - spike pit made from forks biggrin.png) and also really jolly music haha.

Also I didn't realise this thread existed prior to today, so I'll contribute to previous days just for the hell of it:

Day 1 - Most Nostalgic Game - so for Non-Sonic games, the other Nostalgic title for me would have to be Alex Kidd in Miracle World - built in to my Master System II - why? - well because it was one of the first SEGA titles I played on my first SEGA console. Everything about the game is great, and it is a huge game for its time - can't recall ever completing when I was younger. Pretty tough at times and filled with awesome secrets - my first video game 'easter egg'/'cheat' was whilst playing this game, where you press down on the octopus' dish after defeating it and warp to a secret level area. The copter levels and bike levels were fun. Rock, paper, scissors boss battles were at times infuriating, but it was always, 'just one more go'. The theme tune is also infectious and catchy, getting stuck in yur head for days.

Day 2 - my favourite non Sonic game, well that has to be NiGHTS...the gameplay/concept allow for such a unique experience. Another appealing character with innovative design. The game presented a great dreamworld to escape in. I love the early blocky polygonal 3D too, with the flat shaded texturing and bright colours.

Day 3 - Favourite box art - Shinobi on the Master System - first game related Ninja character I ever saw. Still the best. The simple head shot of the character just oozed cool at the time. The look of determination on his face, serious - as if saying "Nothing will stop me!" The shurikens look like they have been fired at him ,but have missed - the blurring effect on them is cool. The title of the game being in that traditional looking calligraphy type font is awesome too. Even the little 'ARCADE' spike bubble thing in the corner is appropriate - everything is placed perfectly to let you know the game is going to kick ass.

Day 4 - Favourite series - well I dunno if 2 counts as a series, but when I first got my 360, I played a game called Condemned. THat game really grabbed me and drew me in - in a totally different way to other games I'd played before. The first person gameplay without any shooting of guns, was completely new to me at the time. Played with the lights out this game could be genuinely scary, it was so atmospheric. The game kept you on your toes wondering what would be around the corner. The sequel was excellent too, kept up the excellent gameplay and immersive atmosphere. The game was a great follow up, the story got a little bit more wacky, but it worked.

Day 5 - favourite indie game? - Super Meat Boy. Pure platforming brilliance. Challenging (sometimes irritatingly so), but really, really addictive. Unique visuals, solid plartforming gameplay with tight controls. Tests your reactions a lot. The game has a cool quirky little story. The game is also a great tribute to the older 2D platformers.

So yeah random choice for this, dunno if it is my all time favourite level ever, but it is a good level for sure.

Day 6: Favorite level

Hmmm, I'm going to have to go with Coneria in Star Fox 64, I mean you start flying over a serene and peaceful ocean, then enemies fly out of nowhere, while your wingmates chat with witty banter. Then you go through a canyon, and WHOA you're in a blasted city that's under attack and that sets the tone for the rest of the stage: you are MASSIVELY Outnumbered, but not outclassed, and that remains a key thing in the rest of the game

6/30 complete

Good GOD is it hard to choose this stuff. If I had to pick though, I might say...

GoodEggGalaxyMania.png

Good Egg Galaxy. 

This level is the first you play outside the tutorial stage, and the first real introduction to what you'll be doing throughout the game. It's got a lot of charm, and whimsy, and brilliant atmosphere; a staple of the Mario Galaxy games. Everything is so crazy; Nintendo's depiction of space is akin to a child's, where anything is possible. While I still love Mario games like 3D World, Galaxy is probably the last one where I went in without a clue of what I should expect. It genuinely surprised me. And Good Egg Galaxy was a great way to start the game.

Honorable Mentions.

cityescape.jpg

City Escape.

I actually don't like SA2 that much, but I have very fond memories of playing this with my family, trying to get better rankings. It was a "pass the controller around" kind of scenario. I don't remember who got the first A-rank, but their score was eventually beaten time and again. 

HyruleTemple.png

Hyrule Temple in Super Smash Bros Melee.

This is likely my most-played level in Melee. I've always had a thing for the bigger stages, even if they aren't as balanced as levels like Battlefield or even Final Destination. See that little nook in the bottom left? Shit went down there. That's where 90% of the fight took place, until items appeared up above and everyone scrambled to get them. I actually used that principle when creating my own level in Brawl, simply called "Stairs."

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 6: Favorite Video Game Level:

This is kind of a tough one. If I had to choose....

Super Mario Galaxy: Bowser's Star Reactor. 

Micolithe-LetsPlaySuperMarioGalaxyEpisod

Galaxy51.jpg

In Galaxy 1, this is the first stage where you encounter Bowser. In terms of difficulty it's certainly a bit of a step up from the previous levels. You don't even really start the stage standing perfectly straight up, so it does a good job of not letting you get your bearings immediately. This level has a lot more Gravity/Camera shifting than the previous levels, so it's a bit disorienting at first. I think this is intentional, as they want this stage to be one of the more difficult ones to navigate. One of my favorite things about the level is the fact that they revived the Koopa's Road music from Super Mario 64:

I love this track. It's very atmospheric, putting you in the mood to confront your nemesis. And it has sitars. Sitars are awesome. The stage also ends with a very fun boss encounter with Bowser himself. 

So, I've been thinking about how to answer this question for a while now. And I discovered that I don't have a single favorite 'favorite' level - I have like ten. ^^;; So, I'm just going to go for my favorite level in my favorite game, Yoshi's Island.

The Cave of Harry Hedgehog

I know what some of you are thinking. You're thinking 'Wow Blaire, of all the Yoshi's Island levels you could pick, you chose this one? Where's Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy?" First off, it was not easy narrowing down what I could use as a single favorite level of my favorite game, let's make that perfectly clear. Second, 'Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy' is, I find, a good stage. One of my favorites actually. But let me explain just what makes 'The Cave of Harry Hedgehog' so good to me.

When I talked about why Yoshi's Island is my favorite game of all time, I briefly mentioned that the cave trope was my favorite. This stage, if you didn't pay attention to the name, is a cave level.

Let's look at it.

250px-The_Cave_of_Harry_Hedgehog.PNG

RFtAtS8.png

0.jpg

Look at that background. Just look at it. Part of the reason why I love the cave levels in this game so much is because of how absolutely gorgeous they often look. And this stage in particular really showcases just how gorgeous, especially in the background. You've got the hills back there, in blues, reds, and greens, with the little dot effect really adding to things, as do those leaves. And those little blue lights I find really help to compliment the whole thing. Also, I admittedly have no idea why there are windows in a cave. Yet... it doesn't detract from the scene all that much. And all that on a black backdrop really makes it come out, while still not detracting you from the foreground. And by the way, I love the crystalline rocks you run along on. Really helps to add to an already great level.

Not to mention that the layout is pretty nifty as well. Yoshi's Island did have damn good level design, if I do say so myself. And yes, that blue hedgehog you see in the second pic does remind me of 'you-know-who.' Always thought that was interesting, considering this is a Nintendo-developed game from the mid-nineties, back when they and SEGA were still big rivals.

Oh, and before I forget;

Another thing I love about this and the cave levels in general - the music. God do I love this song. <3

Dark_Carnival02.png

Those movie poster loading screens though, seriously.

As a huge fan of Left 4 Dead 2, I can say with confidence that Dark Carnival is absolutely my favorite campaign of the bunch. The way it flows, its weapon layout, Carnival setting, it makes for something entirely familiar, yet still a blast to play through. All the maps, starting from an abandoned highway to a hostile carnival, all evoke a feeling of dread, yet still pull off the mood of good old zombie slaying fun. I especially dig the rock concert finale, it just screams ridiculous, but it makes for a giant, bombastic feel. Love it.

Welp, this one gave me a lot of trouble. I tried to make a short list of levels that I liked enough to play over and over again. but the thing is... 3/4ths of that list are Sonic levels. So, uhm... I'm going to mention the one of those three that I like the most, and then talk about the non-sonic runner-up.

A0WInGd.png
Desert Ruins Zone 1, from Sonic Lost World

Sonic Lost World may have been kind of underwhelming, but when it had levels like this, its gameplay really shined. On one hand, the 3D sections in this one are very open, giving you a lot of room to move around, and different pathways to keep things fresh every run; and the 2D sections are designed in a way that lets you take advantage of the parkour moves to progress through it faster. Both of these things make this level a blast to, well, blast through, and really good for speedrunning. The music is also fitting for the level too, being very fast-paced and action-y. It's a ton of fun, in my opinion. I just wish the game had more levels like this. :c

Twin Seeds, from NiGHTS into Dreams...

This was the final level in NiGHTS into Dreams. While most stages in the game have obstacles, walls, enemies, different sections and the like, this level is set high in the sky, with nothing to get in the way of your flight but a few bombs here and there. This, mixed with the wonderful music and the overall easy difficulty, gave this level an incredible sense of freedom. It truly made me feel like I was flying freely through the sky, while still being a pretty fast-paced level due to the shorter time limit. It's liberating, it's exhilarating and I love it to pieces!

Okay without giving you another sonic level again (I already had 3 sonic answers by now so I should probably give a different one) i'm going to say that my favorite level is Operation 009 from the wonderful 101, not sure if it counts but basically the whole 3 segments from this level were just very intense on levels that you really wouldn't get from most other action games, not only does it set the stage for the final boss of the game very well but it also keeps your adrenaline rushing through pretty much the whole entire thing all the way to the beautiful ending that comes afterward (which I won't spoil because you will want to experience this for yourself TRUST ME).

For a runner up, i'm going to go with Ricco harbor from super mario sunshine, I really like this level not just because of the music and visuals but because of all the fun objectives you get to do here compared to every where else (which are also pretty fun) from riding bloopers, to climbing up a giant metal construct, to killing glooper (TWICE) and getting a yoshi to do some platforming to get a shine sprite. Plus, this was also one of my favorite courts in mario power tennis so it gets bonus points for that.

DAY SEX - FAVORITE VIDEO GAME LEVEL - I'M TELLIN' YA MAN I COULD PLAY THIS A MILLION TIMES

I've never really thought too much about my favorite levels in general, to be honest. I've been playing a lot of Super Mario 3D World lately, so I'll pick a couple of favorites.

World 8-4: Footlight Lane

Footlight Lane's music is quite soothing. The somber tone of the music fits well with the level's visuals. Super Mario 3D World is a game about making it from Point A to Point B, but the way Footlight Lane is designed makes it so you end up slowing down, inching carefully across the Footlight Bridges. In a game where each level is different from the last, this one really stood out to me.

World 5-4: Sprawling Savanna

The music' upbeat and fits the level well, and god DAMN is it satisfying to run around that open field. It's like... freedom to explore and chase bunnies. Brilliant.

Endgame Spoilers:

World Bowser-Castle: The Great Tower of Bowser Land

Ha H A H A HOLY SHIT

Shit gets REAL, man. You make your way over to the tower, in the rain, only to have Bowser power up and transform into Meowser. From there it's a frantic race to the top of the tower to free the Sprixies. This has got to be one of my favorite final levels EVER, hands down. Everything's perfect - the atmosphere, the music... It's brilliant, and a satisfying finale to an incredible game.

• Thumbs Up 2

So I guess ill just gush abuot Majora's Mask to make my first contribution here.

Ikana_Canyon-1024x575.png

Majora's Mask themes about death, pain, regret, and loss is prevelant throughout most of the game, but all of these thigns that permeated a good amount of the game beforehand come up full force in the game's fourth and fnial area, Ikana Canyon.

Y'see, most of the game was about healing the land, saving it and it's denizens from potential death and destruction but not Ikana, anyone who is worth saving is already dead and Link's whole trek through the area is putting the restless, angry spirits at ease and cleansing the area of all malovlent spirits. You're instantly greeted with a very unsettling atmosphere, just depresing adn bleak all around.

You go to graveyards, the Ancient Castle where you face off agaisnt the Undead King of Ikana and finally scale the Decript fortress of Stone Tower. This whole area just feel like a world with so much untiod history (a bloody one at that) that I love reading up on the lore of this place. Stone Tower Temple is my favoirte Temple in the game and the boss Twinmold is such an awesome god damn fight adn argghh, I just love me some Ikana Valley man.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 6: Favourite Level

Levels have been a primary staple in terms of structure when designing a game: they are known as the stages where the players play in order to progress throughout the game and its story. The design of these levels not only play an important role in how players progress through the game but also they may have an impact in the game's overall experience. Therefore game designers must put a lot of focus and thought on how to make these levels as enjoyable to the player as possible so they can feel very satisfied with their experience, something they can look forward to whenever they want to revisit the game.

There have been a fair amount of levels being mentioned today that happen to be my favourites too such as Whomp's Fortress (Super Mario 64), Phendrana Drifts (Metroid Prime) or Fort Frollic (BioShock), and since I am doing my best on not playing a Sonic trump card, City Escape (Sonic Adventure 2) is out of question aside from the fact that I already have mentioned it on the 30 Days of Sonic The Hedgehog challenge. But I can definitely mention one level which I adore and always look forward to play, which is...

GreenGreens.jpg?t=1269490092

Green Greens (Kirby series)

Going with a Kirby favourite once again, yet again with good reasons indeed! Allow me to start by saying that Green Greens is one of the most (if not THE most) iconic level in the Kirby series, and since its premiere on Kirby's Dream Land the level has turned out to be a sign of identity for the franchise. Being the first level that opens us to the game, Green Greens is a simple yet lively stage in which Kirby runs and jumps around the lovely plains of Dream Land, inhaling and spitting enemies while eventually fighting against Whispy Woods at the end of the level; It's definitely a stage that introduces us to the charming land of Kirby and its inhabitants. The impact of Green Greens also helped the creation of other similar levels in the series such as Adventure's Vegetable Valley, The Amazing Mirror's Forest / Nature Area, or Return To Dream Land's Cookie Country just to name a few.

Another reason as to why I love Green Greens so much is its many different versions featured throughout the series. As it already has been mentioned, Green Greens is such an incredibly iconic level and as such it has been portrayed in different instalments of the franchise, from the remake in Super Star known as Spring Breeze to the gorgeous craft in Epic Yarn, as well as its representation in the Super Smash Bros series. These different incarnations feel familiar and fresh at the same time, since these levels offer something different from the original in one way or another yet the main elements from the original are still present.

The music played in the level is another big factor: a catchy, upbeat, cheerful and adorable-sounding piece composed by long-time series composer Jun Ishikawa, a delightful tune that perfectly matches the portrayed nature of Green Greens. With Gourmet Race's theme being a very close second, Green Greens is pretty much the equivalent of Sonic's Green Hill Zone or Super Mario's Overworld as it left an impressive impact in the series as well, as it's been played into different versions alongside the aforementioned variations of the level itself.

Green Greens is, in conclusion, a level that I always look forward to play whenever I pick a Kirby game whether it's in its original form or across its different incarnations. I love the charm and vivid feel of the level, the colourful setting and the incredibly catchy tune played in the background while Kirby runs, jumps, flies, inhales, copies and gobbles up yummy food. =)

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 6-Favorite Level

6707633537_3574152150_b.jpg

Gusty Garden Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy)

This stage, this freakin' stage. The music, the environment, the amount of surreal things in this; those giant fruits filled with gigantic caterpillars that serve as planetoids in themselves! There was a lot of variety tucked away in this one galaxy. One star and you're using giant flower petals to make your away across wide expanses, another one you're chasing down rabbits in gardens wrapped on top of giant gravity cubes, and another you're chasing down a golden chomp on spike filled swirling planetoids. Not only that, but despite the fact that the Wii was definitely far behind its competition in terms of power, this stage was absolutely gorgeous. It showed you can make one of the most wonderful looking things regardless of power, as long as you go into it with heart. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh, today's question was really tough. There are SO MANY GREAT LEVELS to choose from. My decision was made much easier when I just decided to not even bother to think about what my favorite level is, and instead just pick whatever. 

Favorite Level: Freezeflame Galaxy 

smgimage.png

There are about 5-6 different galaxies in this game alone that could possibly qualify as my favorite level, so I just threw a metaphorical dart at a metaphorical hat full of metaphorical pieces of paper (with metaphorical quarters taped to each one for good measure), and this is what was decided.

It combines the space atmosphere that this game gets so RIGHT and combines it with two of my favorite level tropes: ice levels, and levels that are a fusion of two level tropes. It feels really great to climb the mountain, and you feel really accomplished when you get to the top. The music is also really atmospheric,  and the art direction is superb. Also, one of my favorite missions is the ice skating race with Cosmic Mario.

It's just a really cool level. Also a really hot level I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1