Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

My shit memory failed with me... I know I had a lot of games I would boot just to play X level... but I can't remember any right now...

I'll go with something fresh, then:

Day 6-Favorite Level

train-lake-2.jpg

Uncharted 2, the goddamn train. Holy mother of God, this level is intense. It's too much, really over the top. But it's awesome. I think this segment alone is worth the price of the game, is amazing to play, you actually feel the scene, the danger and the action. Everything happens in that part of the game, and I found brilliant how it ties in with the beggining of your adventure. Damn Naughty Dog ruined everything with Uncharted 3 :( Segments like that must return in 4.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 6: Favorite Level

afhlwp.jpg

Blighttown

Never have I in a video game before be so disgusted, yet intrigued in a level area before. It is filled to the brim with filth and diseases of all kind, disgustingly warped monsters that seem to have once been normal residents of the town, and a whooole lot of poison. While just thinking how putrid a place like this would smell or be in, it's fascinating to think about just how this came to be. The area is in such a poor state, with platforms being supported by weak and misshapen wood, as well as mud covering all of the lowest floor. Which if you stand in for to long, you'll be poisoned. Did I mention that this level is poisonous? Because there really is quite a lot of that.

9.5.jpg

(Yeah get ready to see that quite a number of times down here.)

While I'm not entirely sure what makes this level stand out form the rest, it just makes me appreciate all the touches that went into Dark Souls and it's unique areas, this one being my personal favorite. Just gonna need long showers to wash off any unprecedented stenches.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day something - Favourite Level 

FOC-Grimlocktower.jpg

TF FOC - Chapter 11/XII - Grimlock Smash

ME GRIMLOCK KING

Just a great level. You play as the big boss himself Grimlock as you tear your way through Cybertron trying to reach Shockwave's evil pointy thing of doom in the Sea of Rust. Along the way you face these evil Insecticons that are a pain in the ass, but naturally since you're a robotic dinosaur you just stomp them. But then you come across these GIANT UGLY INSECTICONS but are easily dispatched with your fire breath. 

BUT THEN YOU COME ACROSS THE HEAD HONCHO INSECTICONS

and you break them up like sticks. 

you rescue your dinobuddies and go save the day together while arguing about beryllium bologna

and then you BITE SHOCKWAVE'S ARM OFF 

that's so badass

best level in ever

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 6 - Favorite Video Game Level:

This looks like an easy one for me, well here goes:

Melty Molten Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy)

Micolithe-LetsPlaySuperMarioGalaxyEpisod

I must be a sucker for lava levels in video games, since Lava Reef Zone is my all time favorite level in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, this level also happens to be my favorite. I love this level for its challenge and fun and I also love the intense music playing. This is actually one of the few levels I enjoy going back to collect Stars.

Metropolis (Ratchet & Clank)

Metropolis.jpg

Metropolis is also a favorite of my from the Ratchet & Clank series. This city looks like the ones I always dreamed of seeing in the distant future after seeing many Sci-Fi films back then. Every single bit of action on planets and space stations was awesome, but I like it here more on Kerwan because for one; I love the wonderful music that plays when you’re not in battle and quietly strolling through the intersecting cities and two; strolling around futuristic cities is always a favorite of mine to do. I also love going back to planet Kerwan to see if I missed any secrets on my first visit. This city is also a staple part of the Ratchet & Clank series as we occasionally come back to visit some friends or some more shit happens, like in Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction where the very first level is Metropolis.

343 Guilty Spark (Halo: Combat Evolved)343gs.jpg

343 Guilty Spark takes the cake to be one of my favorite levels in the Halo series. It all takes place in the creepy and foggy swamp and we have to investigate the whereabouts of Captain Keyes in this strange structure which turns out to be an underground research facility. It added the suspense and creepy factor when you’re walking through the swamp notice a downed Pelican and Covenant dropship, mysterious figures appearing in the midst of the fog, Covenant troopers horribly slaughtered by an unknown force along with some Marines, a lone marine scared out of his mind. All of these things really creped me out until I reached a research room and made an unsettling discovery by finding a pool of human blood. Then, suddenly “they” attack you without warning. It really scared me the first time I saw the Flood, these mutated abominations, attack you in a relentless frenzy and you have escape the facility. I always find myself keep coming back to play this stage the most, sometimes I go back to the intense action that takes place at the near end of the level. This was a genuinely creepy level, although it’s nearly as scary as Sacred Icon in Halo 2, which that level still scares the shit out of me to this day.

Day 6 - Favorite Level

My favorite level, huh? Well, that’s a pretty easy thing to answer. Out of all the games I’ve played throughout the years, only one of them contains what I consider my all time favorite level… so far, anyway.

o4I9GSS.png

… and that game is Super Mario Galaxy with its final level, Bowser’s Galaxy Reactor.

It is the culmination of everything that game has to offer, not only in terms of gameplay, but also visuals, story, and especially--especially--music. Heck, even the title of the sole mission in this level is surprisingly epic for a Mario game: The Fate of the Universe. The game originally started out with Mario trying to save Princess Peach from Bowser. Now, not only must you save her, but you must also save the entire Universe from a Bowser with designs on taking over EVERYTHING. No other Mario game before this had such an ultimate goal. In this mission, Mario must go through four different planets, each with a certain element based on earlier levels in the game. This is THE final exam course of the game, as it not only test your platforming and Star Spinning skills, but also how you use the various gravity gimmicks to get through without dying. There is even a sidescrolling section--one of a very few in the game, in fact--where you must hurry along a series of cosmic platforms that disappears if you take too long. As you make your way towards Bowser in the Center of the Universe, this theme is playing, in sharp contrast to the remix of Bowser’s Road in the previous Bowser levels:

Lovely, isn’t it?

To this very day, even with my love for Super Mario 3D World, even its final level doesn’t quite match the thematic majesty that is Bowser’s Galaxy Reactor. It’s simply… amazing! 
  • Thumbs Up 1

Okay I know I said I was not gonna do a Kingdom Hearts world, but I just have to! And I've got like two other non-KH choices anyway.

World:

The_Grid_Logo_KH3D.png

The_Grid_KH3D.png

Game: Kingdom Hearts 3D

Based off of: Tron Legacy

tron0309-610.jpg

Nowhere in my entire life as a Kingdom Hearts fan did I find myself falling in love with a world so quickly! Seriously, this world became my favorite in little to no time, even before I even played the game! 

The techy, surreal atmosphere along with the AMAZING Daft Punk like music made this world literally FEEL like it came from Tron Legacy. And it fit perfectly in the series, despite having humans that didn't exactly match Sora and Riku.(unlike Port Royal for some reason) The world is just so fun to look at and play around in!

And speaking of Sora and Riku, can I just say, I LOVE the designs they got to fit with the world?

200px-Sora_%26_Riku_TG_KH3D.png

They really do a good job at making the two feel like part of the world. They don't look forced in, they just seem like natural inhabitants.

ss-175.jpg

7721eve_06.jpg

Again, I can't stress enough when I say that the atmosphere and feel of this world does a dang good job at replicating the original movie it was based on. 

The only other KH worlds I could see myself listing would be The World That Never Was or Timeless River, but the atmosphere in those wasn't nearly as amazing for me as it was in The Grid.

Anyway, onto the next level!

Stage:

Smashville(Smash series)

SmashAnimalCrossing610.jpg

Game: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. 4

Based off of: Animal Crossing series

So yeah, out of all the stages there are in the Super Smash Bros. series, I always find myself coming back to Smashville the most as of late. It's just my ideal stage, peaceful, nothing hectic going on, and pretty to look at visually. So I can easily see myself having the AC stages both in the 3DS and Wii U version of Smash 4 being some of my favorites to play on.

Runner Ups: Fountain of Dreams, Final Destination, PictoChat

Stage: Rooftop Run

generations2-008-610.jpg

Game: Sonic Generations

Based of of: Rooftop Run(Sonic Unleashed)

Rooftop Run is actually my favorite Sonic stage as of late. It's vibrant, busy and fun in any of the versions, and has just a great Sonic-y feel despite its realistic like atmosphere it goes for. Although, the confetti and balloons kinda cancel that out hahaha. The awesome music also helps!

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 6: Favorite (kind of stretching the meaning of) Level

3488854-4932335858-bac-c.jpg

Batman Arkham City: Arkham City

Well that title isn't redundant... Oh snap, Batman enters the fray! It's kind of funny actually. I was first introduced to this by a friend back when it was released and absolutely hated it. Though, after a month of the game just sitting on my shelf I decided to give it another shot and ended up not being able to put it down. Must of been because I always loose interest in a game when I can't understand what's going on or what I'm suppose to do. Both of which happened when my friend introduced this game to me as he simply just let me watch him play it(which I guess was where my first disconnect came). Though now I absolutely love the game (and series) and this level is one of the main reasons why.

This level is just packed with detail. From the actual textures and building structures to secrets and easter eggs. Running through the area literally makes you feel like you're (the) Batman. It also does a really nice job of blending all the different styles of the franchise; knowing where to apply the dark and gritty while also knowing where to put the in jokes. Add in the grapple boost (once you play the game with that you never really can go back) and you have an immersive gaming experience here unlike any other.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 6: Favorite Level!

Well uh crap I guess there's um uh

11tn1qx.jpg

The City from Kirby's Air Ride

It's kinda here because it's the only level to an awesome mode, but man does this place have everything! Aliens, meteors, a parade driven by ghosts, and even a giant bird! I wanna know just what kind of insurance these guys have because geez I'd feel pretty dead in about two minutes with all this action. It's like if every Jimmy Neutron plot was happening at once and it makes for amazingly fun gameplay.

2h3v5af.jpg

The Cave of the Past, from Earthbound

...Man. I don't think I need to explain this one to people who have played through it, and I'd really rather not spoil it for those who haven't. Suffice to say that this final dungeon is where Earthbound finally gets serious. The whole game leads up to this final showdown with the ultimate evil, and let me just say that what awaits is one heck of a payoff. There's terror and there's triumph waiting to be experienced within, and it honestly makes up one of the best climaxes in video games. No crying until the end.

2ic865c.png

Glitzville, from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Chapter 3: Of Glitz and Glory is really when Paper Mario 2 steps up its game and becomes one of my favorite experiences. It's a tournament arc, which you'd think would be a stupid idea for an RPG, but by a combination of mystery plots, fun opponents, and Paper Mario's usual great dialogue and storytelling, you've got a one of the most solid chapters ever in an RPG, let alone Paper Mario. I don't usually say things like that very lightly, understand, but playing it over again through the years I've come to appreciate it tremendously. I admit that I was debating whether or not to submit this or Chapter 4's Twilight Town, but while that one excels mostly on the strength of its character development, Glitzville really does have it all, and remains a joy to play to this very day.

• Thumbs Up 5

I REALLY want to do one of 20 Sonic levels here, but since I already did CD a few days ago it wouldn't be right to do another so soon.

This isn't really a specific level, but rather multiple levels designed in the same way. In this example, I chose World 7-4, Boiling Blue Bully Belt. I know that World 7-1 is similar, but I don't believe any other levels are like these two.

The first thing that really jumps out is just how beautiful this looks. The blue fire is a fresh change from the normal red, orange and yellow fire normally used. It makes the level so much less... generic, for lack of a better word. I love the music that they used to go along with the level, too. The level feels so calm, despite danger looming everywhere.

There are a bunch of other great levels in this game, too. Footlight Lane was a close second and Mount Must Dash, which is just awesome in so many ways. If you haven't played this game yet, do yourself a favor and buy it.

Right now.

Go on. Get it.

Now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 6 - Favorite Level

With my love of the Metroid Prime series the go-to choice would be Phendrana Drifts but if I'm being honest I think it's overrated. Great place, but Skytown, Elysia totally tops it.

skytown.png

I think Prime 3 really did the best job with its locations. Elysia was beautifully realized in every aspect. It's very pretty but combined with its lore it becomes an incredibly somber place. There's one satellite that sticks out to me - the scan visor tells you it's been transmitting the same signal for centuries. There's also a fairly spooky section of it I love a lot - it's no horror game but Metroid does mildly disconcerting locations well. It's been so long since I've played that I don't remember too much else in detail, but it's always a joy to come back to. The music really rounds out the atmosphere.

To throw in some runner-ups since there were a lot of great choices for this one:

- The lower areas of the Phazon Mines in Metroid Prime are great, the ones with the giant mushrooms and metroids everywhere. After reading all kinds of logs about the dangers of phazon, coming upon so much of it and phazon-infused metroids gives a strong sense of shit getting real.

- I really like Blast Pit in Half Life. The bulk of the gameplay isn't actually the game's best, but it feels a lot like an elaborate boss fight more than just a level, since it introduces you to the tentacle early on and everything you do after is more goal-oriented than simply finding your way around the facility as in the rest of the game.

- The Lighthouse, Welcome to Rapture, and the Medical Pavilion are a three way tie out of the Bioshock games. I don't think there's a game out there with a more strong opening. It's such a sense of wonder until the moment the bathysphere docks, and it thrusts you into the chilling atmosphere of Rapture. Getting past the tutorial, the Medical Pavilion starts getting more involved and gives a great show of how fucked up the city is.

I have still more in mind than that, though I can't be bothered to write about them oops.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 6 - Favorite Level

This one was much harder to choose one.  As with most questions it seems, I'll throw a couple out there.

metroidfanart33.jpg 

Maridia - Super Metroid

Apparently a lot of people hate this place.  I don't.  The atmosphere is arguably the most lonely and somber I've experienced in the whole series, a feeling I think future Metroid games (don't give me that look) should strive to reach.  This place is big and mazelike, and it perfectly exemplifies the sense of getting lost on an alien world that the Metroid series so beautifully brought into video games.

Bluecreek.png

Wood Side Apartment and Lakeview Hotel - Silent Hill 2

I'm mentioning both of these because they both accomplish similar things.  I actually wouldn't call these levels very enjoyable to play, but I think they deserve mentioning because of how absolutely horrific they are.  Not that they throw gore and violence and gross creatures at you (though that's certainly a part of it), but that the atmosphere is completely nightmarish.  And I don't just mean it's scary, I mean it actually feels like something I would see in one of my nightmares.  The combinations of sound and lighting truly makes it feel like a bad dream I would have, and almost no game or piece of entertainment can invoke that feeling in me.  In fact, this atmosphere is so powerful in these levels that I think they actually have influenced my dreams at a few points in recent years.  Being that creepy on a subconscious level takes major skill.

adv_9.jpg

Lost World - Sonic Adventure

I've talked about this plenty.  The atmosphere is magical and grand, fitting for the aptly titled Mystic Ruins, and the watery aesthetic really sits well with me.  In fact, rushing water is just something that I find tremendously soothing, so to see it worked into these ancient ruins so well just makes me feel extremely relaxed.  Well, when I can get that damned snake to stop jittering, at least.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 6: That level I keep replaying over and over because I love it so dang much.

CorneriaSF64.png

That's right, my favorite level is the very first one you play in Star Fox 64 and I love it so much. I love flying in the city through different building openings which in turn unlocks hidden enemies to shoot to boost your score with. There's so much detail and different ways the level can be played, I love how replayable it is.

I also really love using the ground and buildings as a reference to shoot charge shots at and get a good radius of damage you can't do as easily in the on rails space levels too. Also, I know it's a very small detail but... I always loved to bounce my arwing into the water like this in the very beginning of the level too. I don't know why I just thought it was fun to do. XD

And then we have Venom and Area 6, hoo boy...

star-fox-64.jpg

Dodging an entire bullet hell of enemy canon fodder ships in Venom I Expert is crazy fun to me every time I play this level.

I'd say Venom and Area 6 are great runner ups for me with how over the top, fun and well designed they are as well. The satisfaction of how epic breaching through an entire fleet in Area 6 is simply something you have to play through. No cutscene can express how epic it is in the way Star Fox 64 does through pure gameplay (well okay, Sonic Unleashed's opening is an amazing exception but still, you gotta play this level if you haven't already).

Also as a side mention I have to say City Escape too because that was really a perfect way to start off another favorite game of mine. Same goes for Perfect Dark's first level which is full of objectives to complete and isn't just a generic "Go to Point A to Point B" we see in so many shooters today. I also really like the descending nature of the level and how you weren't simply just going forward to progress, most first levels don't start you at the TOP of the level and have you slowly progress to the bottom and I thought that was pretty cool design.

Previously on Day 5:

Next time on Day 7:

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 6 - Favorite Level

This would have been a tough question had I not gotten a certain game a few months ago.

Windmill Hills - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

DonkeyKongCountryTropicalFreezeScreen11.

I legitimately teared up playing this level for the first time. The unique setting was great enough - it's a Norwegian-styled animal mountain village, what other game can claim to have that? - but the way it's presented and detailed really captivated me. It was one of the few times I felt a character's own animations really complemented the scenery. Donkey Kong and the crew's stationary poses move at just the right moments, and run and jump at just the right speed as everything else here to make it feel like they actually belong in this village that they're going through, and got me immersed into the whole thing. There were times I played the level where I just walked, not run, so I can take in everything.

The Snowmads can keep Donkey Kong Island, I'd rather stay in Windmill Hills.

Add in music that is simply sublime, as sublime as the stage itself, and I've got my favorite level.

• Thumbs Up 1

2h3v5af.jpg

The Cave of the Past, from Earthbound

...Man. I don't think I need to explain this one to people who have played through it, and I'd really rather not spoil it for those who haven't. Suffice to say that this final dungeon is where Earthbound finally gets serious. The whole game leads up to this final showdown with the ultimate evil, and let me just say that what awaits is one heck of a payoff. There's terror and there's triumph waiting to be experienced within, and it honestly makes up one of the best climaxes in video games. No crying until the end.

I was going to mention The Cave of the Past myself, but I wasn't sure how to do it justice and without spoiling anything. And the specific area where the final boss is in is certainly...memorable.

I already posted, but with this reminding me of it, I want to give a shout out to

Saturn Valley

Saturn_Valley_Concept.PNG

It's home to the most amusing and odd (and that's saying a lot) beings in Earthbound, Mr. Saturns! A simple, grassy village with a bunch of odd lookin' homes and a hot spring, it's an innocent place that ends up playing a bigger role than you'd think at first glance. It's just a wonderful place.

BOING

Legit spoiler:

The valley and it's creatures also show up in the sequel, but considering the somewhat ambiguous timeline, whether or not it's the same place is unknown. Hell, depending on their lifespan, they may be the same Saturns for all we know...!

Come to think of it, I have no idea of the plural of Mr. Saturn is just that, or "Saturns". Hm.

• Thumbs Up 2

My favorite level is

Sonic-Colours-Starlight-Carnival-art-2.j

look at those lights! starlight carnival is amazing level. its color ful and fun. perfect for a game call "Sonic". its got a light rainbow path that you walk on and it flies you to the spaceships. you run on a pink light path and fight robots with colorful beems. the lazers from the ships are very pretty and awesome. you do a homig attack on mirrors. all and all its one of the best levels i play.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 6: Favourite level

This was a tough one but I'm gonna have to give another point to Journey here:

5.png

This level was such a lot of fun and one of my favourite parts in the game. Sand surfing was also pretty challening too since you still had collectables to pick up along your way, and there's no way for you to stop or backtrack. It was also beautiful in so many ways, the sunset was fantastic. It's amazing what the developers were able to pull off considering the cell shaded graphics!

city-escape-modern-sonic-2.jpg

Hoooooo boy! Where to start with this one. There are a ton of favorites for me, but I'll list the ones that are particularly in one game. City Escape, god I love this level! Even on both versions on SA2B and Sonic Generations. The music is awesome and you are skateboarding down a hill using part of a helicopter and then running away from a crazy truck driver hellbent on making you roadkill! Especially in Generations where he goes as far as to defy gravity....damn that guy is desperate! XD

rooftop_run_by_darkfailure-d4cpjdj.png

Ah Rooftop Run...this is a fun level. Running around a city that looks like a mix between London and Italy, grinding on rails in the sky and running around the face of Big Ben. My favorite parts are blasting through the alleyways and running through restaurants like you don't even care lol.

speed-highway-modern-sonic-13.jpg

Who doesn't love running on highways in the sky? This is a really fun level, especially at the part where you are running down a building trying to elude the cops. I like the Generations version of this level the most because there are much more routes to take like through small parking garages, parkouring through buildings and dashing through hotel lobbies. I could play all three of these levels all day and not get bored with it.

Oh boy.

SMW2_TFGD.png

How about this one? Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy from Yoshi's Island was... rather unique. The gimmick for this level was... well, in the name. Touch the fuzzy things and you'll end up getting "dizzy" witht he screen being distorted, Yoshi being a bit harder to move, and the music distorting... thankfully, not in the way it would in a creepypasta!

2354_4_jazz_jackrabbit_holiday_hare_1995

For the life of me, I can't remember what ANY levels from any Jazz Jackrabbit games where called, but I sure as heck remember the level in the picture from Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare '95. I mean, just look at it, it's made of legos, and it's full of toys... what kid doesn't love toys and legos, and romping through a toy based levels with a cute totally cool technicolor bunny?

I love Forest Folly from (you guessed it) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It's late in the game, so it's kinda hard if you don't know what you're doing. I actually beat the level without even figuring out how to work its main gimmick, I felt so stupid when I went back to replay it later on and learned it wasn't as hard as I thought it was.

The environment is amazing, it's a frozen-over version of Vine Valley from DKC1 and DKCR, and the music is one of the best songs I've ever heard in my life.

Day 6 - Favourite Level.

Coruscant (Star Wars Battlefront II)

Coruscant_Jedi_Temple.PNG

I love this map (both Clone Wars and GCW.) It's the most wartorn map, it's got excellent choke points and the attention to detail is insane. I especially love playing as Darth Maul due to the music.

The best way to play this map is with max re-enforcements and instant respawn.

Favorite Level!

Chapter 8: Kate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glF8cUojBF0&list=PL2FDD2563A3897DC7

One of the few fucking flawless stages in Mirror's Edge.  This is the stage that makes you believe in the potential of the game. First, you get chased by PK cops as you jump from rooftops trying to escape them. Then you reach the Atrium. The fucking atrium is platforming orgasm. It looks beautiful and you feel like a bad ass as you scale this fucking beast with free running. Ad the best part is that there are multiple ways to get up there. Like the paths to reach that vent are numerous. I could play this level all day.

These questions are becoming more and more impossible so I'll just reel off a few levels I enjoyed. :V

Conker's Bad Fur Day - Pooland 

QUSlDqS.png

Where do I begin. Pooland. Pooland. LAND MADE OF POO. Of all the outrageous things in Conker's Bad Fur Day, this is probably the most. The crowning achievement of toilet humour in video games. During this level, you'll roll up balls of poo up a poo mountain, fend off scouser dung beetles and feed posh cows laxatives. The boss is a giant singing pile of poo. Brilliant.

Sonic Heroes - Grand Metropolis

5VAWvEd.png

Probably the best level in Heroes. It has a great Summer-y atmosphere, lots of visual detail and superb music by Senoue. I like how you can see the ground level of the city too. *glares at Empire City*

Rayman 3 - Teensie Highways

L1P6-1m.jpg

These are the psychedelic wormholes Rayman must travel through in order to get to the next level. Quite often I would play through an entire level just to play these. Pretty much just for the funky visuals and groovy music.

TF2 - arena_nucleus

sniper_update_map_arena_nucleus.jpg

A well balanced map in my opinion. Snipers have lots of open space to snipe, while other classes can safely maneuver through the outer perimeter. The medkit located at the lowermost part of the map provides a nice risk/reward choice. You might get a decent amount of health back, but you'll be very vulnerable. It's also hilarious when a soldier attempts to rocket jump to it only to fall slightly short and tumble into the pit of death.

DAY 6: Favorite Level

I can throw a few favorite games out..But a level? Harder to choose.

But here goes.

Vision 6-2 from Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BZmbtXg0q0E

Couldn't find a decent image so here's a video of it.

Anyway, you know how the final level, the inevitable end to an adventure - when starting , can sometimes invoke this excitement in you where you definitely know it's the end? Well this level is that to me by 10 times.

In here you are left with your little friend to stop the villain from turning the whole world into a literal nightmare, once you actually start playing the level after the cutscene, the music hits you with an upbeat - yet - melancholy wave, nicely fitting the situation your character is in, giving you the feel of how the world is at stake. And the level's aesthetics are just beautiful - with a blue ambiance of the night and the stained glass inside the rooms of the level accompanied by golden railings.

And the difficulty withing it should nicely test your ability to utilize the character's short float, grabbing and throwing , which makes it quite a nice final level before the boss battle.

3-1 from Super Mario 3D Land

SM3DL_Monde3-1_Intro.jpg

When I got to this level on my 3DS, I grinned like a pure idiot at the sight of it.

A goddamn tower in the desert that happens to have exploration and freedom, but not the biggest  exploration of course, but still it was enjoyable. You got yourself a canon to shoot yourself from towards most parts of the tower, and then you got the flying-block abuse, and then the inside of this baby and hell you can even take a cheeky shortcut to the top if you're clever enough.

And all on the go with 3D gameplay.

And yeah, I know that you got the same deal only much better and expansive with SM64DS..But I never did get to play it yet (It's like I'm avoiding great games..).

I've wanted to join a while ago, but I just finally got an account setup. Anyway, better late then never!

I'd like to post my entry for day 6 a little bit later though, if that's ok :P

Day 6: Favorite Level.

MKC.png

Ahh yes, the original autopilot level...except I actually enjoyed this one. Minecart Carnage from Donkey Kong Country, truly a test of the reflexes and they were always among my favorite levels in the game. The music builds up, and then suddenly you're dodging everything the level throws at you and you're heart starts skipping a beat. Magnificent.

• Thumbs Up 1