Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 7 ; The Level that Pisses Mambo Off the Most (or least favourite! XD)

Uuuhh... you people are probs gonna hate me for saying this but er...

Half Life 2: Ravenholm

Ravenholdm was nothing like the countrysides there was no birds singing and the pants were dead and teh dirt was messy and bloody from headcrabs..... *cough* err I mean excuse me. Where was I?!

Yeah, I just don't like Ravenholm. I understand that the game is meant to be hard but those bloody Xenomorph-like headcrab zombies that leap about and stalk you, and those big ones that carry four or five little poisonous headcrabs... arghh NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE! D:

Also the level heavily relies on using the Gravity Gun and random stuff lying around for weapons/ammo. As satisifying as it feels, I find it quite tricky to kill stuff with the Gravity Gun and the occasional saw. Dropping a car on zombies is pretty funny though. biggrin.png

Forgive this but I had no time the other day to post in this thread.

Day 6: Favorite Level

The final level in The Last of Us. Raiding that hospital and fighting off the enemies was so challenging for me considering I had run out of ammo so much. It's always a whole new ball game when fighting humans compared to the infected. Once I got their pattern of attack down it became slightly easier. Eventually making it to the end and getting the job done was oh so satisfying. Also playing stealth in certain parts just made me feel a certain level of badassery I don't get too often in games.

Day 7: Least favorite level

Ocarina of Time's Shadow Temple. Fuck that dungeon. First of all I hate Re-deads, I hate skeletons, I hate flying pots, creepy stone faces, WALL MASTERS and FLOOR MASTERS. The dungeon was basically everything that freaked me out wrapped into one big bundle of fuck. ;_;. There was a bit of time travelling involved to access this dungeon but still, I just couldn't stand it, I had to psyche myself up to get through this dungeon. And then to get to the final boss and laugh at him because he looks like a joke compared to the other freaky shit.

Runner up: Woodfall Temple

Ok there is a certain point in this freaking dungeon where you enter into a pitch black room and have to light some torches, the problem is, it's fucking pitch black and there are these stupid annoying fuckers called Black Boes that attack you constantly. It freaks me out because of how they swarm you. But that is not enough to justify it being my least favorite. No that remains the Shadow Temple.

Day 07: Least Favorite Level

Every time I start off an adventure in one of my most favorite video games of all time... it's not too long before I have to endure...

04b-010.jpg

The Forsaken Fortress

The most tedious, backwards and non-sensical addition to the Zelda experience. Want to fight enemies with your sword? Want to solve puzzles and get lost in the ambiance of that gritty dungeon? Too bad, you have to go through this monotonous stealth mission in some bizarre tutorial that scarcely teaches you anything that will help you later in the game.

I mean, what did you think this was? A Zelda game? HAHAHA

Seriously it's basically something from Metal Gear Solid without being able to snap people's necks or gun them down. You can't do anything besides hide. And throw sticks at people on occasion. But mostly you hide in a barrel. 

metal_gear_zelda_by_odinsdeath-d5entyp.j

Though I admit this would be pretty cool

BUT ANYWAY, then there's THIS SOUND WHEN YOU GET CAUGHT

6374-oh-my-god-girl.gif

And you have to start all over again at the beginning in the cell.

Gah I need to get a drink of tea or something, thinking about this just cheeses me off. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 7 - Least Favourite Level

I'm gonna go with Forsaken Fortress from Wind Waker. Wind Waker may be my favourite Zelda game ever, but I always dread the part where I have to go to the Forsaken Fortress. It's the only negative part of the game I can really think of, and one of my least favourite parts to play through. 

For whatever reason, the developers thought I'd be cool to have a stealth section in a Zelda game. And what's worse is, you don't have your sword. You can't defend yourself in anyway, and if you get caught, back to the cell you go. I always get really nervous when sneaking past enemies. The music in itself makes you worried, but once they turn around sharply, you better hope they didn't spot you. 

I wouldn't mind this level if it was short, but holy mother of stealth it takes forever to complete. I haven't played the HD remake to see if they improve it in any way, but I sure hope they did at least something to make it less tedious. 

Mega Man 2: Quick Man

Do I even need to say it? Mega Man 2 is the only Mega Man game where you lose your energy tanks from a game over, and there are already very few energy tanks in the game.

So what happens when you get to Quick Man? You're going to lose those tanks. You just are. And it's all thanks to the bullshit zero-room-for-error false difficulty horseshit lasers they spam the entire fucking level.

And don't tell me "oh it's not that bad" yes it fucking is. You have to know ahead of time where the lasers will comefrom and where on the screen you need to be when it scrolls to the next. That is the definition of false difficulty. That is not something I can overcome by my own merits, I can only overcome it through trial and error.

Fuck Quick Man.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 7 - Least Favorite Level

I'm going to have to talk about PS1 Era Mega Man X again because while it had my favourite stage (Not counting games I'm trying to not talk about/mentioned last time) it also had my least favourite gaming experience of all time. Being that I hated it that much, it also contains my least favourite level. Let's dive right in, shall we?

The stage I'm going to talk about is Blaze Heatnix's stage from Mega Man X6. Those familiar with this game probably know what I'm talking about when I say this stage is a stinking pile of shit, but I'll go into detail for those who don't. Pretty much as soon as you enter the stage, you're greeted with this...

RxwxG1G.png

Meet the Nightmare Snake. This guy attacks by moving around the room and spamming multiple shots at you at once. The only way you can damage it is by hitting those 4 green orbs on each corner of it's body, and you don't have an awful lot of time to hit some of them, as this room doesn't have any platforms above the walls, so the only way to avoid being crushed against the wall by it is to either jump over it, which you need a good bit of time to do, as it's pretty big so you need to get quite high up on the wall to make it, or crouch in those little holes in the ground, where you become a sitting duck for the shots it fires. If you don't have the right weapons, this guy takes a good while to kill, taking over 5 fully charged shots to kill each orb. It's a pretty tricky mini-boss, takes a while but it's doable with enough swift movement and perseverence.

l9UQ2cp.png

After this, you're chucked into a platforming segment where you have to dodge fire towers that take off a large chunk of your health, enemies that constantly home in on you and, if you have the nightmare effect for this stage active, metal blocks in really awkward positions trying to crush you. This section is kind of annoying, as you're not given a whole lot of room to maneuver wtith all of the stuff coming at you at once. Once you get past this section, you're faced with....

9luL9j9.png

Again? Really? Ok. This time, you're in a ring shaped room. The Nightmare Snake moves around the room counterclockwise the whole time, doing the same spamming shots as before. While it's probably easier than the first fight because of the fact that you have more options to maneuver around it, it still takes a long time, and it's still awkward to hit the weak spots. After you kill this one....

RXpGqmH.png

You come into one of these rooms. How nice, these rooms usually mean you're at the boss, or the next part of the stage is going to be pretty different. Ok Blaze Heatnix, let's see what you have in store for me next.

Neji1q5.png

God damn it.

This one is pretty annoying. The room is a big slope with some ropes to hang onto in the middle of it. What makes this room annoying is not only do you have to deal with the Nightmare Snake, you also have to deal with enemies constantly swarming you too. Enemies that respawn if you don't pick up the items they drop upon death. Items that are hard to pick up because you're constantly having to worry about avoiding the Nightmare Snake. Having to worry about avoiding both the enemies and the Nightmare Snake and it's shots makes this room extremely hectic and hard to manage, you'll spend most of your time weaving between everything which makes actually finding time to hit the boss extremely difficult. When you finally manage to kill this one, you move onto the next room and....

4bWmYwf.png

Oh, it's a platforming section while trying to keep ahead of rising flames. Oh hey, this could be kinda neat if they design it right and-

nCLMMye.png

GO AWAY YOU STUPID DONUT MOTHER FU-

You have to fight this thing again and this is the most excruciating fight yet. The Nightmare Snake constantly jumps up at you, and the screen scrolls really slowly, meaning often times you'll have to take leaps of faith just to avoid the bloody thing. And guess what, there's more! There's enemies littering the platforms too! That can appear out of nowhere and hit you mid jump, sending you falling to a fiery death! Sounds like a blast, doesn't it?! But guess what? There's still more! This part eventually stops scrolling, where you're left with a platform with pretty much no room to dodge anything, you're basically at this damn thing's mercy at that point. And chances are you're going to reach that point, because the amount of time you have to hit some of these orbs is few and very far between if your positioning isn't perfect. So after this pain, surely we're at the boss right? Surely we're done. Let's go to the next room and find ou-

1KdPoRP.png

I QUIT

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 7

24d50sm.jpg

Sigh. Let me get two things straight; 1; I really like The Last Remnant. 2; This stage isn't hard.

But GOD is it long and boring. The puzzles are easy as shit and I just skipped enemies constantly in order to cheese my way to the finale boss. By now I just wanted to get this over it. And everything is disorienting and all looks the same, I just... Ugh.

As much as I wanted to not include Sonic...

I'm going to say The End of the World from Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. Yeah, neat idea, play as all the friends through various parts of the level (it wasn't that neat of an idea) but poor execution. It just got plain annoying. Silver's level is just bloody atrocious, well so are all of them. The eye things are a pain in the arse and they're just fucking mocking you. It's painful to play the level. The only one I could get through with ease is Knuckles, as it was pretty easy to glide through and skip most of it. But ones like the painfully slow Amy, the eye-heavy Silver, and the 'no land allowed' Rouge sections... They were awful...

I just can't play those damn stages.

• Thumbs Up 1

Least favourite level? That's easy.

fallout3-metro.jpg

Of course, the endless subways in Fallout 3. Easily the worst part of an already subpar game. The tunnels, which are filled with repetitive environments in one of the most blatant examples of lazy level design, are uninspired, empty levels that serve for nothing but to artificially pad the gameplay. There is no substance, no characters of interest, no events, nothing. Just a frustrating, boring walk through the same spaces over and over again.

Oh, and they're infested with hundreds of Feral Ghouls... even though the games had established feral ghouls were a rarity that only happened when ghouls (who themselves are already rare) went completely mad. But of course, they ignored that to fill the levels with a generic "zombie horde" enemy. Good job understanding the property, Bethesda.

• Thumbs Up 2

And here comes the first Sonic answer

800px-PS_Night_Arid_Sands_12.png

I hated the Werehog and it's dull gameplay in its entirety, no matter what level I would play. So when Arid Sands came along it only cemented my hatred for this awful beast. First off, I don't like the jazzy night time music the Werehog had - that's an unpopular opinion obviously, but that's me. There's also that god awful battle music that plays in every battle, and each of the stages could go on for the twenty to thirty minutes which is TERRIBLE. Then this stage... the graphics aren't very pleasing on the eye, the puzzles got annoying and dumb, there were fights constantly... especially one area, where a fight when on seemingly endlessly which meant I would die often and be sent back to puzzles and fight the enemies AGAIN. This is a particular case of hatred for the Werehog, but honestly anytime I would go near a Werehog stage I would groan knowing I'd hate to grin and bare my way through.

Completely agree with comments on Forsaken Fortress.  Such a difficult and unintuitive section to have so early in the game.  You get the sword, you get to fight 5 enemies with it and then you're whisked off to a frustrating and confusing stealth section with repetitive scenery that will have you going round in circles if you don't understand where to go.

Here's some tips:

The ground floor is completely pointless.  Ignore it, go straight up the ramp from the main area where the spotlights shine to the second floor.

You only need to switch off the searchlight that is pointed at Aryll's cell window to get up there.  Locate the door that leads to it, take it out, and then it's a straight shot to the upper floor room with the two moblins and the large door at the back up the small staircase to the roof.

But no the designers decided we needed 5 corridors that all look exactly the same on the ground floor that don't lead anywhere... gross.

I wouldn't mind this level if it was short, but holy mother of stealth it takes forever to complete. I haven't played the HD remake to see if they improve it in any way, but I sure hope they did at least something to make it less tedious. 

Forsaken Fortress was, crazily, completely untouched in the HD remake.

Basically anything from the 8-bit world in Rayman Legends, especially 8-bit Orchestral Chaos.

zu4N4oZ.jpg

Yes, this is an actual screenshot from one of the levels.

8-bit my ass. They just mixed shitty filters and random effects to make it pretty much impossible to see what the fuck you're doing most of the time.

I guess they where trying to do a rhythm game kind of thing where you have to guide yourself by hearing the beat, but this was just plain shit.

Making a trial and error music level for each world because people liked Land of the Livid Dead in Origins was already pretty unecessary, but the 8-bit world is crap to the max.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 7: Least Favorite Level

The last time I picked Hilltop zone from Sonic 2 for being incredibly boring but this time I'll have to Echo what Serperior said and pick one of the worst stages in what was for me one of the worst Megaman games:

shot04.gif

That Friggen Donut! Blaze Heatnix Stage

Seriously, screw that metal donut! It's the most annoying thing I've ever remember facing, annoying as hell and keeps appearing over and over again... Actually, 90% of the stage is you fighting the thing (so I'm not sure if it should even count as a stage)!

It becomes a lot easier if you play it with Zero and have the right addons but since I'm a sucker for punishment I had to go through my first play with X and use the regular X buster.

BTW, Serperior also forgot to hate the freaking Dragonflies that spawn in the most inopportune places to block all your shots. >_>

I'm going for Chapter 6-1 from Super Paper Mario.

Its not a deep RPG. Its not a skillful platformer. Combat somehow falls awkwardly between the two. So what do we get? 20 individual battles, with their own screens, their own battle cries, their own lose quotes...and it is tedious as hell,

Chaper 2-3 is bad enough, but by the time I got to 6-1 I was really having to slog my way through to complete it.

I understand you can go back later and have 100 battles. Why would anyone bring that on themselves?

Day 7 - Least Favorite Level in a Video Game

easterneuropemidtownsserk7.jpg

Act 3 - Metal Gear Solid 4

... *ahem*

UUUUGUUGHGHGHGHGHGHGHUGUHUGHUHU

fffffFUCK THIS LEVEL. Good GOD! 

It's no secret that I'm not the biggest fan of MGS4, and don't worry, I'll be talking about that later (hint hint), but sweet fucking christ on a bicycle this level infuriates me to such an enormous degree. Following up on two other actually quite good "acts" (as far as gameplay is concerned anyway), this level just seizes whatever pace you were going at, rips it in half, and beats it to a bloody pulp. 

The objective in this level is to follow some asshole in a trenchcoat through this muddy, boring, drab looking city to the goal ring end destination, taking out a few guards so he doesn't get seen and staying out of his line of sight as he ever so slowly makes his way through the city. I swear, this had to have taken at least two hours. It felt like it, at least. Getting caught made him run around like a bitch for a minute or so before he got back on track, so that made it take quite some time. 

It's fucking boring, it's frustrating, it's ugly, it's not fun, and it doesn't play like MGS should. Everything about this whole act of the game is pure fucking trash.

Feel free to tap into your ranty side today.

I dislike Grunty Industries from Banjo-Tooie...

I'm not the biggest fan of Banjo-Tooie, and Grunty Industries pretty much represents everything wrong with the game. It's a huge map where many areas seemingly exist for no reason, it's full of incohesively-placed objects, there is no flow to the level design, and it just feels like a huge drag.

Contrast to its Banjo-Kazooie equivalent, Rusty Bucket Bay, which was annoying to play but still stuck to the design philosophies of the game. Even compared to the rest of Banjo-Tooie, Grunty Industries goes the extra mile in making you feel like you're just doing meaningless chores.

I'm going to have to talk about PS1 Era Mega Man X again because while it had my favourite stage (Not counting games I'm trying to not talk about/mentioned last time) it also had my least favourite gaming experience of all time. Being that I hated it that much, it also contains my least favourite level. Let's dive right in, shall we?

The stage I'm going to talk about is Blaze Heatnix's stage from Mega Man X6. Those familiar with this game probably know what I'm talking about when I say this stage is a stinking pile of shit, but I'll go into detail for those who don't. Pretty much as soon as you enter the stage, you're greeted with this...

RxwxG1G.png

Meet the Nightmare Snake. This guy attacks by moving around the room and spamming multiple shots at you at once. The only way you can damage it is by hitting those 4 green orbs on each corner of it's body, and you don't have an awful lot of time to hit some of them, as this room doesn't have any platforms above the walls, so the only way to avoid being crushed against the wall by it is to either jump over it, which you need a good bit of time to do, as it's pretty big so you need to get quite high up on the wall to make it, or crouch in those little holes in the ground, where you become a sitting duck for the shots it fires. If you don't have the right weapons, this guy takes a good while to kill, taking over 5 fully charged shots to kill each orb. It's a pretty tricky mini-boss, takes a while but it's doable with enough swift movement and perseverence.

l9UQ2cp.png

After this, you're chucked into a platforming segment where you have to dodge fire towers that take off a large chunk of your health, enemies that constantly home in on you and, if you have the nightmare effect for this stage active, metal blocks in really awkward positions trying to crush you. This section is kind of annoying, as you're not given a whole lot of room to maneuver wtith all of the stuff coming at you at once. Once you get past this section, you're faced with....

9luL9j9.png

Again? Really? Ok. This time, you're in a ring shaped room. The Nightmare Snake moves around the room counterclockwise the whole time, doing the same spamming shots as before. While it's probably easier than the first fight because of the fact that you have more options to maneuver around it, it still takes a long time, and it's still awkward to hit the weak spots. After you kill this one....

RXpGqmH.png

You come into one of these rooms. How nice, these rooms usually mean you're at the boss, or the next part of the stage is going to be pretty different. Ok Blaze Heatnix, let's see what you have in store for me next.

Neji1q5.png

God damn it.

This one is pretty annoying. The room is a big slope with some ropes to hang onto in the middle of it. What makes this room annoying is not only do you have to deal with the Nightmare Snake, you also have to deal with enemies constantly swarming you too. Enemies that respawn if you don't pick up the items they drop upon death. Items that are hard to pick up because you're constantly having to worry about avoiding the Nightmare Snake. Having to worry about avoiding both the enemies and the Nightmare Snake and it's shots makes this room extremely hectic and hard to manage, you'll spend most of your time weaving between everything which makes actually finding time to hit the boss extremely difficult. When you finally manage to kill this one, you move onto the next room and....

4bWmYwf.png

Oh, it's a platforming section while trying to keep ahead of rising flames. Oh hey, this could be kinda neat if they design it right and-

nCLMMye.png

GO AWAY YOU STUPID DONUT MOTHER FU-

You have to fight this thing again and this is the most excruciating fight yet. The Nightmare Snake constantly jumps up at you, and the screen scrolls really slowly, meaning often times you'll have to take leaps of faith just to avoid the bloody thing. And guess what, there's more! There's enemies littering the platforms too! That can appear out of nowhere and hit you mid jump, sending you falling to a fiery death! Sounds like a blast, doesn't it?! But guess what? There's still more! This part eventually stops scrolling, where you're left with a platform with pretty much no room to dodge anything, you're basically at this damn thing's mercy at that point. And chances are you're going to reach that point, because the amount of time you have to hit some of these orbs is few and very far between if your positioning isn't perfect. So after this pain, surely we're at the boss right? Surely we're done. Let's go to the next room and find ou-

1KdPoRP.png

I QUIT

THESE THESE HOLY CRAP THESE

Act 3 in MGS4 was pretty much what stopped me from finishing the game. I can't say I was loving it by that point but there were many things I was enjoying about it. Then Act 3 ruined that and I honestly decided continuing wasn't worth it. It's one of the few levels in video games that has actually made me feel sick from frustration. When I got about halfway through after about two or three hours and realized that it wasn't going to end, I knew I couldn't go on with this anymore. MGS4 can go screw itself for all I care, freaking 94 on Metacritic grvsghvsghgmumgrglrgrg...

Blaze Heatnix is pretty much the grand summation of all of X6's problems. Don't really have much to add there.

And Grunty Industries? Yeah, pretty much same case. I couldn't go on with the game anymore. I know a lot of people love Banjo-Tooie, but to me it was just way too bloated for its own good, in comparison to the relatively tight Banjo-Kazooie. I might go and give it another try sometime, but every time I play Banjo-Tooie, I feel like I'm just wandering around from place to place in needlessly vast expanses hoping I'll find something I can actually do and praying that it'll actually be fun. Grunty Industries was the epitome of this. It's so pointlessly huge to hide just ten Jiggies, many of them are really obtuse, and after wandering around for hours trying to find just one or two that I could figure out, my experience with Banjo-Tooie ended there. I don't regret my decision at all.

So, some more personal examples? Hmm...

Well, since Banjo-Kazooie is on the brain...

101%20-%20Entrance%20to%20Click%20Clock%

CLICK CLOCK WOOD

I'll admit, I was...surprised to see this come up so much yesterday. I suppose my hatred of this stage could come more from my state of mind as I was playing it rather than that it's actually poorly designed, (or possibly also because I wanted to get all the musical notes too because I was a big perfectionist) but I remember getting all the Jiggies here being hell. Having to go through four versions of the same massive stage over and over again just felt really...tedious, to say the least. I don't know, I didn't like it. Maybe if I played it again, I'd see it differently.

Let's see what else...

Geothermal_Power_Plant_connecting_corrid

THE PYROSPHERE

Pyrosphere_corridor_lava_glass_HD.jpg

WOW LOOK AT ALL THAT FIRE

800px-Lava_lake_Grapple_Beam_Volcano_bac

SEE THAT FIRE?!!! ISN'T IT GREAT???!!!!

Pyrosphere_Missile_Tank_10.jpg

BUT THAT FIRE THOUGH IT'S SO COOL-LOOKING ISN'T IT???!!! EVERYONE LOVES FIRE RIGHT

HEY JOHNSON

WHY DON'T WE

*SNRK*

WHY DON'T WE JUST

FORGET ABOUT ALL THOSE GREAT INSPIRED LOCATIONS IN METROID THAT EVERYONE LOVES

ssb_metroid_other_m.jpg

TO MAKE ROOM FOR MORE FIRE!!!!!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SANCTUARY FORTRESS????

18_03.jpg

PFFF WHAT'S THAT????!! LAAAAAAME!!!!

SkyTown_Elysia.png

ELYISA??!!!! PFFFF JOHNSON WHAT ARE YOU SAYING SIR

CLEARLY

WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS

IS MORE OF THIS:

flames_12_29_2011.jpg

SO YEAH

The Pyrosphere is pretty much the greatest offender of all of Metroid: Other M's generic uninspired-ass "levels", and I guess I only really resent it because it's getting picked for SSB4. (Also for the fact that we could have pretended this game didn't happen and move on, but hey, I guess Nintendo can't just let go of their failures, can they?) Maybe saying it's one of my absolute "least favorite" levels in gaming is a bit much plus I'm exaggerating the point greatly for the sake of amusement, I mean, the design is okay, it's not...offensive or anything. It's just a really generic fire stage.

In a franchise that has had and most importantly deserves much better. So, I guess I wanted to give it a dishonorable mention on that account.

"Bubut T-Min, I thought you LIKED Metroid: Other M! I MEAN YOU DIDN'T SHUT UP ABOUT AND-"

eh

I dunno

it's ok I guess

whatever

0.jpg

OBVIOUS ANSWER ALSO LOLSONIC

But I have to give this a mention too because it's the worst thing ever and I hate it.

Yep.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm going for Chapter 6-1 from Super Paper Mario.

Its not a deep RPG. Its not a skillful platformer. Combat somehow falls awkwardly between the two. So what do we get? 20 individual battles, with their own screens, their own battle cries, their own lose quotes...and it is tedious as hell,

Chaper 2-3 is bad enough, but by the time I got to 6-1 I was really having to slog my way through to complete it.

I understand you can go back later and have 100 battles. Why would anyone bring that on themselves?

I think it did a good job of lulling you into a sense of "wow is this REALLY what the entire chapter is gonna be" to pull the surprise on you in 6-2.  I think it's one of those cases though where "yes they needed to do it for that long to make you really believe this is how it was gonna go on", without appreciating that just because it's clever and fun to pull said surprise on the audience, this doesn't mean it's an entertaining experience.  (I tend to refer to such a case as an "Endless Eight situation" and I'm sure everyone familiar with what "Endless Eight" is will understand why).

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 7! Least favourite stage!

I really want to give you a list of Sonic stages I despise, cos trust me that list is HUGE! But nope, I'm going to choose a random game...hmm, let's see...

OH! OH! You think Forsaken Fortress is bad?! Wait until you play the Temple of the Ocean King from Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass! Oh...my...God. You think sneaking through a dungeon is fun, not to mention having to go there twice? Well, not only are you running for your life in this dungeon from enemies that can kill you easily and hiding in stupid safety spots, but you also have to go back to this Godforsaken place not once, twice, thrice but

FIVE TIMES! And you have to go through almost the ENTIRE dungeon all over again! And there's a timer! AND there's shitty ass music that just loops every 10 seconds!!

One of the many reasons why I don't like Phantom Hourglass btw.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 7: Least Favourite Stage

Rather like the previous entry, my memory regarding stages is very flakey however sometimes it is easier to remember the disliked stages due to whether it is the design, bad enemy placement or that you get stuck for ages and very luckily get through. There are some Sonic stages that I don't like such as Labyrinth (Sonic 1 MD version) the stage that I was stuck on for years until last year, Sandopolis (S&K) due to its confusing layout. Also there are some stages from Super Monkey Ball Deluxe that I don't like at ALL however sadly I can't remember them even though it is the reason why I've only played Story Mode and not the challenge mode with some requiring pixel perfect timing. Other examples are one part of Batman: Arkham City where you have to glide down, back up, repeat until done and havn't got the timing but can't remember the name of it, the Turkish stage I think from Uncharted 2 and there have been some stages where it is plagued by bad enemy placement causing frustration but can't remember. One of them that I can remember the game but not the stage is the Brazilian Woody Woodpecker game however I can let that slide due to inexperience of Brazilian gaming development.

I would have talked about Test Track Infield from Forza Motorsport however I couldn't find a screenshot and a video that is online blocks about half the screen on how it seems that the developers were working on various courses such as Monaco, ran out of time and put the unfinished courses into one horrible course that lasts from 8 to 10 minutes per race. Luckily I just remembered a stage that fits the bill.

huXXHU1.png

(Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.... It's coming back to me!)

Mole World 2 from Taz in Escape from Mars. I have never completed this game and throughout my childhood, this stage got me every single time and still gets me now even though I am better at it. Only once that I got up to Planet X 2 (aka the Labyrinth Zone rip off) and didn't get there again. I have a confession to make, I actually quite like this game and consider it one of the better American developed games of 1994 since US console gaming development was smaller and the quality wasn't as good compared to Japanese or UK/France/Germany development at the time where American games usually suffered from design issues, the sprite style especially on the Genesis and programming problems where EA was actually considered a rather good US developer on consoles even if some of their games also suffered a few of these problems (the Road Rash series was around 12fps).

Anyway what made me dislike this stage is due to the fake difficulty. You have to run through the stage blind likely getting hit by enemies and spikes, spinning through dirt without knowing where to go due to the close camera and to top of that a drilling machine right behind you if you wait up to 10 seconds, you get killed by the drilling machine. Also doesn't help that upward spinning through dirt can be quite hard to perform. So with all of that in mind makes a frustrating stage. The only way of completing the stage is memorisation and hope that the upward spinning works straight away.

The graphics in this stage are also not very good compared to the rest of the game (the previous stage has a nice background and so does the next stage) with the background being mostly black with a purple hint foreground, a similar style to what was used in Batman Returns on the same system that was criticised or if it doesn't use black, then it has dirt. Even though it is an underground stage, I do suspect that the drilling machine took a bit of the graphicial memory though so from a programming view it could be understandable. The music in this stage is fairly decent actually even though it uses the GEMS sound engine and actually sounds like it is mocking the player at the beginning.

I always wanted to get past this stage every time and still have these feelings today.

I'm sure there's plenty that are my least favourite, but I'm finding it hard to recall. The only one I can remember off the top of my head, is from another Sonic game. Although if you wanna get technical, it ain't a Sonic game...

Least Fav. Level: Shadow The Hedgehog (GC/PS2/XB) Prison Island

340px-Shadow_prison_island.png

I dislike most levels from Shadow The Hedgehog to be honest. But this one stands out for several reasons, the first being kinda...lame, I admit.

• Continuity - Prison Island was blown to bits in a much better game. (I know some might disagree) We saw it happen, I doubt much of anything would've been left. Yet this level does, but it doesn't really look like it's been destroyed in a massive explosion. It just looks like it's been long abandoned. Nothing I saw, implied what happened. At least to me. It might seem like I'm being anal but I wasn't bothered by the fool moon in Heroes, the moon is f*cking round, it spins. The blown up part could still be there.
  • Charmy - What's that? Charmy? I know, I'm a Chaotix fan so how could I hate one of them? Well I don't. I found him entertaining in Heroes. The Dr. Who joke, getting dizzy through height even though he's always flying, his excitement in the opening scene as he accidentally KOs Vector. But in this game? Well, he was just plain annoying, gushing over Shadow and every little thing...he lost all the charm he had in Heroes.
  • Level Appearance - Probably why I didn't like most of the levels was because they were going for a much darker look, I've always liked the brightness of the environments and now it was all gone. Except for the glowing hideous river, which brings me onto the next thing.
  • This Thing:

prison1.jpg

Lacks decent controls, is a tedious section of the level, makes you ride it more than once. And what the hell is it anyway? Some kind of alien surfboard??

• Thumbs Up 2

Final Level - Deadpool

deadpool-game-04.jpg

I actually really, really, really like this game. It's just the final level is fucking bullshit. It's still funny and written to be like Deadpool, but seriously the gameplay in this part just really fucking sucks. It's the same gameplay as you always know and love, but the difficulty fucking skyrockets in a cheap way. Like seriously, it's easy, then the next level is fucking cheap-ass hard. It's bullshit, and the final boss is even more bullshit, but we're not talking about him. You have to jump on several different platforms and navigate your way to Mr. Sinister's mansion or some shit while also dealing with a bunch-of enemies, and landing the jumps sometimes is really fucking hard. That's about it, this is my least favorite level, but I still really like this game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 7 & Serpzooie: Ninja's "I hope Kami ends up trapped there forever" Least Favourite Level ever!  

jMiMb7X.jpg

The Castle Dungeon, from MadWorld

MadWorld is an Awesome little game made by the finest studio there is, called Platinum Games, buuuut this level sucks

the thing is this, MadWorld throws you right into niceley big stages where you go around and kill people in all sorts of different and cool ways, and this is where the Problem of this Level lies:

the thing is, the whole stage is very, very enclosed and leaves you very little to actually work with so what you end up with is beating all these people the same way, over and over with no room for variation and it just gets annoying, add in to that Miniboss who you have to fight in those enclosed spaces, in addition to the endless Mooks who also appear in these enclosed spaces and......yeah, not too fun.

Unhonorable Mention goes to the Scrapper Escort Mission at Eldin Volcano, for literally taking place for no other reason besides the Robot Being a Dumbass.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's too easy to pick a level from a game I already don't like, so instead I'll go with the Deep Roads from Dragon Age: Origins.

Area-Aeducan_Thaig.jpg

It's not that the section is poorly designed or anything, it's just that it goes on for way too damn long. It's the part of the game I dread the most because it's literally hours of trekking through multiple areas and dungeons that are visually identical to each other (nothing but long brown hallways and caverns). Every time I think the end is in sight, nope, now I get a whole other huge area that I have to explore. Part of the problem is that nothing really interesting happens here until the very end, and by that point I'm so tired of the Deep Roads that I can barely muster any excitement. Up until then it's nothing but combat, combat, and more combat.

• Thumbs Up 3

Least favorite level, eh? Well, I'd say that I've completed a game in the last few months with a stage that fits the bill...

Escorting Krew's men through the sewers in Jak II is easily one of the most frustrating stages that I've ever played. You not only have to fend off Metalheads while keeping your own health high enough to survive, but also protect the three dorks who do little to keep THEMSELVES alive. Escort missions aren't inherently bad, but the things that push this one over the top of complete and utter annoyance are that you can't go ahead to clear out the upcoming bugs in advance or your guys will die INSTANTLY, you have to endure ALL of the bugs as they come out and then kill a HUGE horde of them at the end with your guys as sitting ducks in the middle, ANNNNNNNNND you have to do it ALL in ONE try. No checkpoints. Nada. Zippo. Zilch. ONE. TRY. And the worst thing is that the whole ordeal is so short, that you'll never put it down despite the fact that the Metalheads keep killing you again and again! Oh, and did I mention that at points, your crew has to blow something up and you have to get to cover or else the explosion'll damage you? And you have to wait through that EVERY SINGLE TIME? *twitches* *shakes head* *regains composure* Needless to say, this is one mission that I'll NEVER be going back to. tongue.png
  • Thumbs Up 1

Al's Space Land (Toy Story 2)

This place still gives me the creeps.

Ominous music. Enemies everywhere. That ropes race. That lazer corridor with that useless invincibility shield. Arcade games pixelated like we're in the early '90s. And the noise the green aliens make... ugh, even if I have to visit this place while retaining a human-size I'd probably feel uncomfortable.

Airport Infiltration (Toy Story 2)

<sigh>

Yeah, another level I hate in a game I love. But what can I do? The very start of the level is a maze, the sections where Buzz have to clib up the conveyor belts are hard and annoying, the control of the anti-gravity boots are lame, and overall the place looks more like a bunch of random platform rather then a real place like the other levels.

London (Broken Sword 2)

All of the three scenes in which we have to search for the Jaguar Stone in London as Nico are a pain in the butt.

-First we have the boring British Museum with unhelpful laughing girls and guardians and little to no freedom.

-Second we have the convoluted Underground puzzle with broken machines, pennies and whatnot (although there's a cool easter egg and a free chocolate bar)

-Third we have Karzak's boat. Which is a stealth based mission in a POINT AND CLICK GAME. Which means that you have no margin of error: click the right spot at the right split second, or else the sailor who walks around the boat will catch you and coldbloodly kill you.

It's so satisfying to end this torture and go back to George Stobbart's Caribbeans Adventures happy.png

Day 7: Least Favourite Level

Hmm, im going to have to go with the Water Temple from OoT. It's just soooo fucking tedious, changing water levels over and over and over again, and the fact you have to go into the equipment screen to equip and unequipped the Iron Boots. not to mention that it can make your game uncompletable as one wrong move and the puzzle in order to complete the dungeon is not able to be completed.

Runner up is the Twilight Realm from Twilight Princess. I just don't like these areas at all, the fact you are forced to turn into the wolf, who's attacks aren't as good as regular Links, the fact you have to finish all the Twilight beasts or they resurrect themselves and the music just creeps me out!