Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 7

Least Favorite Level

468px-RL_LDP_GranniesWorldTour_8BitStill

Rayman Legends

Every fucking "8-bit" Level

You're probably wondering... "what is this pixelated garbage?  Surely this must be some sort of graphical glitch!"  Sadly no.  This is a screen from Rayman Legends' final unlockable world, and it's some of the worst, laziest, most half-assed levels I have ever seen.  The game already being underwhelming to begin with doesn't help.

So throughout the game there are these musical levels that plays some well known songs as you jump, and smash through with the beat and instruments.  It's kind of cool, in fact it was so cool the developers felt the need to create an entirely new world for them exclusively, copy and paste all of them, and then apply a shitty filter to each of them that obscures your vision (I literally had to close my eyes at points because of how bad it looked).

This is the game's big send-off.  The big finale.  Rayman Origins ended with an entirely new level that tested nearly every skill you learned up to that point.  Rayman Legends ending with the same songs?  Would be ok if the level designs were changed to be genuinely more challenging, but no.  Instead I get the exact same levels with eyesore filters placed on top of them.

Fuck off.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey guys remember Team Chaotix from Sonic Heroes? Remember how even you DID like the game you still counldnt stand their gameplay? Remember how many of their stages were asinine "collect x amount of objects in this stage" and it was always tedious, boring and just all around terrible? Sometimes requiring a lot of time backtracking to find what you missed?

Well, how's about we take this repugnant concept and MULTIPLY IT BY A THOUSAND, and here my friends is where we have the worst level I have ever fucking played in my life, Shadow the Hedghog's Lost Impact.

340px-Shadow_lost_impact.png

ARGH

hqdefault.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

FUCK THIS LEVEL.

So, lets take Shadow the Hedgehog's controls, which are just ungodly slippery and unwieldy, and THEN lets up him in a level with tight corridors, turns, and the like, making Shadow just UNBEARABLE to control because he was not designed to operate in small narrow areas. THEN lets make the entire level a stupid fucking Labyrinth where it's easy to get lost if you dont know what you're doing. THEN how about going for the HERO MISSION, which requires you to go around killing all 35 Aritical Chaos in the level.

Words cannot describe how AWFUL THIS WAS for me to do for the first time, a lot of these little liquid shits hide themselves and therefore are easy to miss on your first run through the level, which then requires BACKTRACKING! OH JOY! As a kid I had to look this up online and write down every location of the Chaos to MAKE SURE I wouldnt miss any of them, it was such an awful experience that will always stick with me as someone who plays a lot of games. Seriously fuck you Shadow the Hedgehog and FUCK YOU LOST IMPACT

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 7: Least favorite level

Hello, Sonic Adventure 2! 

Pyramid Cave.

Pyramidcave.jpg

I despise this level so much. SA2 is fun, but I had such a rage-fest controlling Sonic's stupid jumping and falling off of riding the rails- which I still do not know how to do properly- jumping on those stupid hourglasses and then trying to make it to whatever in time, or falling to my death. It gave me such a hard time- which, this game has made enjoyable in some cases- that I will always remember it as literal hell.

'Course, I'm not finished the game yet...please tell me it doesn't get worse then this?

There's also the fact that half of the things included in this level made no sense to me of them being there? Like...the rails, the tunnels...and Sonic not being fast enough to get through a door in time. He's supposed to be the fastest thing alive, for crying out loud!

I also want to note that I also thoroughly despise pretty much every level of Super Monkey Ball 2 for iOS. Fuck that game. Stupid bananas...and holes...and balls...I slammed my phone down on the table.

The shrieking white hot ball of rage that is my mere feelings towards this stage made Skyward Sword's Ancient Cistern drop in quality by mere association of being a Zelda water temple. Fuck this stage.

B-but the Ancient Cistern was awesome ;_;

...I felt the exact same way about that damned Lakebed Temple tho'. I have trouble with it even on repeat playthroughs, I always forget what I have to do because I repressed the memories of that terribleness. Uggggh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 7- Least Favorite Level

Crash Bandicoot: Warped has some of my favorite platforming levels of all time. It also has this:

Mad_bombers.jpg

Mad Bombers.

Why. That's all I ask. This is one of three biplane levels in the game. The first one, Bye Bye Blimps, is nowhere near as bad as this one, where the objective is to just shoot down seven blimps. The other one, Rings of Power, just involves flying through a few rings in a specific order and finishing first in the race.

And then there's this. Mad Bombers is one of the most difficult levels I have ever come across in a video game. In this level, Crash has to destroy five airplanes by destroying their engines. That doesn't sound so hard, does it?

In order to destroy the five airplanes, the engines in the rear need to be destroyed. Each airplane has two engines, so there are ten that need to be destroyed in total. Unlike the blimps in Bye Bye Blimps, which were large and hittable from a distance, these engines are small. Precision is needed to hit them, and that is where the problems come in. The biplane's controls are terrible. Sometimes, it takes a good five to six seconds to line up a good shot. While this is happening, Crash is under continuous fire from enemy planes. In this stage, the enemies are deadly accurate and can easily shoot him down within seconds.

When I got to this level on my first playthrough, it took me a few hours to beat it. Every time I would take down three or four of the planes, and shortly after I would be shot down. Oh, the rage.

Here's a video of a guy getting the Platinum Relic on this stage:

I got the Gold one myself (after more than an hour of continuous resetting) and then forgot to save it after. So I have to go back and do it.

Again.

asdklashjfsdhfsf

Gonna narrow it down to a 21 way tie between *all levels of Sonic Advance 3*

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 7:

Going sonic with this one.

Sonic Lost World - Frozen Factory zone 2

Are_you_guys_those_Zetis_too.jpg

I still have trouble to this day with this damn stage. The snowball gimmick suuuucks! It's so hard to keep this damn snowball steady in this stage. It's soo slippery and I'm always falling off the cliff.

The first time playing this stage was hell, It took me forever to finish this stupid stage. I swear i got like 10 game overs. Getting the red rings was a pain too, luckily it wasn't too hard, but the pool table parts to get them was a stupid idea, I could barley move the ball so I pretty much had to keep it in the middle but touching the pool balls cause my ball bounce to the side, making me miss the other pool balls.

Those Snow monsters makes it worse later in the level. You'll notice little ones that bounces you around and sometimes they are guiding you to your next path. You'll soon find some big ass ones that block your path. And every time I reach the big ones, I'm at my last life so it was life or death when I approach those fuckers. I would play all the levels BUT this one. I never wanna play that level again.

zazz10.jpg

What were you thinking SONIC TEAM!?!? Y U DO THISS!??!? (Yeaa I'm no good at these tongue.png)

My face after each Game Over.

MasterZik.png

*slow blinks* 

Day 7: Least Favourite Level

I feel like I'm cheating a little with this one as it was the same level I mentioned last time we had the 30 Days topic, but it's still my least favourite. It might not be the worst level I've ever played, but considering it's the one level I don't like in a game that I otherwise adore it made quite an impact.

2vkb8tv.png

Even now when I reach this stage, part of me still wants to just skip it and head on to Click Clock Wood.

There were a number of stages on Tooie that I had more issues with (Grunty Industries in particular), but I'm going to ignore those for the purposes of this post as I'm not a fan of that game in general. I also suspect that there might be more least favourites coming up and I'm going to save that for "Least Favourite Game" as it was a massive disappointment for me, but I'm not going to go into that right now as it's not what this post is about.

So, Rusty Bucket Bay...

I'm going to start off by saying I have no problems with challenging stages in games, but this stage was just cheap and just crosses the line from "challenging" to "not fun anymore" very fast.

My main issue was the engine room and that has always made me dread the stage more than anything else. It would have been a terrible area full of bottomless pits of death and awkward spinning platforms that require some very precise timing to clear in the first place, but the fact you then had to race against a clock just made it absolutely insufferable. This was made all the worse on the N64 version where you would lose all your notes if you died, and it's a hell of a lot less frustrating on the remake for that reason.

The other reason has a lot to do with my dislike of water levels, but also just the general design.

I've hated water areas since Labyrinth Zone, but there's still a number I've found enjoyable and Rusty Bucket Bay just isn't one of them. The water is toxic and will kill you quite fast if you happen to spend too much time in it, which is quite annoying as you're forced to do this for certain Jiggies. And much like the engine room, one or two of these involve some time-based puzzles that make it more frustrating.

The entire world is just a giant combination of things I dislike in a level, and even though years of experience have made it less frustrating, I still shudder a little when I play through BK and remember what's coming next.

Just to make this post a little less negative though, I will say that I still like the stage on an aesthetic level for most of the part, and unlike a lot of other bad stages it at least stuck to the general design principles of the rest of the game. I've definitely played much worse, but it was just a little too difficult to enjoy and not just in a challenging way, and it was a little unfortunate considering how much I loved the rest of the game.

(Dis)honourable mention is Grunty Industries, but I'll go into that in more detail if I get a chance to talk about Tooie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys remember Team Chaotix from Sonic Heroes? Remember how even you DID like the game you still counldnt stand their gameplay? Remember how many of their stages were asinine "collect x amount of objects in this stage" and it was always tedious, boring and just all around terrible? Sometimes requiring a lot of time backtracking to find what you missed?

Well, how's about we take this repugnant concept and MULTIPLY IT BY A THOUSAND, and here my friends is where we have the worst level I have ever fucking played in my life, Shadow the Hedghog's Lost Impact.

*snip!*

Well, at least the music in that level was pretty nice, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 7: Least Favorite Level

I was thinking this would be very hard, but going through the games I remember playing, it wasn't actually that difficult to come up with levels that annoyed me.

ORizFsS.png
Return of the Legend, from Zack & Wiki

For those who don't know, Zack & Wiki is a point-and-click puzzle game for the Wii. It's a pretty solid game.
"Return of the Legend" is one of the last levels in the game. Admittedly I don't remember a lot about this level cause last time I played it was a couple of years ago. It was some kind of endurance run or something. I just remember that it was long, it was tedious, and it was pretty difficult, at least for me. If I'm not mistaken, there are plenty of things in the level that will kill you instantly and send you all the way to the beggining. Aside from playing all the level again, that also means sitting through the slow-ass cutscenes between each round of the endurance. Some of them might have been skippable, but I'm pretty sure not all of them were.

But that's not the thing that puts the level on this list.

This level took me SO many attempts, and it got really infuriating, but I finally managed to do it one time. So you get the treasure chest that normally ends every level, and you get a long, climactic cutscene. And after that cutscene, guess what, it's not the end! You're suddenly falling down a chasm, surrounded by junk, and you have to find something to slow your fall down. This also happened in the first level in the game: you fall from a blimp, you're surrounded by junk and you have to find an umbrella so you can safely make it to the ground. The difference here is that, since it's the beggining of the game, they give you plenty of time to catch your bearings and look around, so you probably won't die, while in this later level they give you much less time, not to mention when I first got here, it obviously caught me off guard cause I thought the level was gonna end!

So, guess what. I died. And because of that, it's back to the start. That's right, all that crap I went through during most, no, ALL of the level, all that frustration, was completely invalidated cause I didn't react fast enough at the end. It was such a bullshit move that it actually made me ragequit the whole game, and it singlehandedly makes it my least favorite level ever.

I also want to mention this one.

250px-Webwood.jpg
Web Woods, from Donkey Kong Country 2

In this level you mostly play as Squitter, a spider that can attack by shooting webs, and can also create webs that act as temporary platforms. It's an interesting concept to base a level around, but I had to replay this level a lot, either because I was dying or because I was trying to find the secrets, and sadly it's one of those levels that you can't play at your own pace. So basically, this level is reeeeeally repetitive and tedious. Shoot, create platform, jump. Shoot, create platform, jump. Rinse and repeat. Snoooooore.

Day 7: Least Favorite Level:

I had every intention again to NOT used a Sonic level for this round, but I am absolutely swamped at the moment with all that I am doing in wrapping up the 30 Days of Sonic event and I am running out of time. So I don't have time to think of anything aside from the immediate answers that come to mind. 

Eggmanland is the definite answer for me in regards to least favorite levels, but I am going to go with:

HILL TOP ZONE, FROM SONIC 2

Ugh, this level. Starting off, It looked so bland with all of that blue:

SonicTheHedgehog2W_108.gif s2-htz-appearanceimg2.png

So much blue...don't get me wrong as blue is my second favorite color next to orange but it just seemed like overkill with it all here in Hill Top Zone. The lava pits, earthquakes and volcanic caves really gave the level an unfriendly and dangerous vibe to it.

e7UcV5z.gif?1

Seesaws are playful things but they didn't seem to be fitting here in this level with all of the hazards around.

And Tails jumping on the vine chairlifts and sending it off before I could get on it myself annoyed me to no end...

79qq7HX.png?1

That probably wouldn't of happened to Tails had he waited and not gone ahead of Sonic...

I don't like the music for this level/zone either at the casual country vibe doesn't settle well with me: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKUcIaGvSmw

One thing you will never see me complain about regarding Sonic is the music bar a few exceptions. The music for Hill Top Zone is definitely one of those exceptions as I really don't like it. I guess it's fitting seeing how I don't like the level the music track is for either.

• Thumbs Up 4

Luckily I wrote about this stage before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF1H5IGBgPQ

After 6 stages of flying around without a fucking whim and being a goddamn ninja. They decided to throw this shit at you. You are in a confined area surrounded by motherfuckers on steroids. It is bad enough that the game is essentially structured that Faith has the endurance of hose mooks you waste in Call of Duty, but this stage takes away the one equalizer that Faith has and bottlenecks the player in situations where they are most likely to die. This stage is frustrating and pretty much embodies the problems of the game all in one level. The level design itself is wonky as it is never clear exactly where you need to go or how you should get there. It just throws in a room full of armed goons and says good luck. You don't feel the intensity because you literally die in seconds of entering the combat zone. Just what in the fuck were they thinking with this stage. They should have offered an alternate route in which you don't have top encounter that mess and the route in the stage should have been given to less experienced players. The level of frustration with this stage is annoying and thank god for the stupid enemy AI because it would be impossible to beat...until you play hard mode and find out the enemies don't fucking miss. Goddammit.

Day 7: Least Favourite Level

As mentioned yesterday, levels are an important component of every video game since they are the pattern of progression established for the player to engage while playing. The way these levels are designed will impact on the overall experience: a well designed, clever and fun level is something developers must pursuit while creating a game. However, there are cases where their design can be the total opposite and bring out a tedious, clunky, flawed and boring level, creating a negative impact on the overall experience of the game since the player wouldn't look forward to play those levels.

As far as I know, I cannot recall many levels being tedious or outright boring to play. Some mentions throughout this topic such as Forsaken Fortress (The Wind Waker), Water Temple (Ocarina of Time) or Pianta Village - The Secret of The Village Underside (Super Mario Sunshine) come to my mind as well, and I could mention a couple of Sonic The Hedgehog levels being awfully tedious with most of Sonic '06 taking the spotlight, but I can remember one particular level that drove me insane whenever I played it, which is...

4185131049_aed5e838da.jpg

Puppy Love (Earthworm Jim 2)

Earthworm Jim 2 was a sequel that in my opinion didn't live up to the expectations left by its excellent predecessor. While I appreciate the sequel's humor for being wackier compared to the first game, its attempt to mix the run and gun platforming formula from the original with diverse gameplay mechanics didn't feel as fun as they intended to create. I personally appreciate variety in video games, but not when such variety is tedious or just isn't fun to play with, and Earthworm Jim 2 features a few of these. Among all the levels I can think of, Puppy Love is probably the worst.

The objective of Puppy Love is to rescue all of Pete Puppy's little puppies that Psy-Crow keeps throwing from the tower he's located on the left side of the stage to Pete's little dog house located on the right side. In order to do so, Jim carries a giant marshmallow that makes the puppies bounce back into air if they land on top of the marshmallow, so as you can tell, you have to carry these puppies from point A to point B. And you better make sure they arrive without a scratch: if a puppy falls on the ground it will squash and disintegrate, therefore losing it forever. If four puppies are dead, Pete will lash lash out at Jim and make you lose a good percentage of your health. On paper, all of this sounds very familiar to Game & Watch's Fire game.

At times, Psy-Crow will drop goodies like a can of worms (which grants you a continue), a piece of password, or even extra lives, but he will also drop bombs which you must ensure that it doesn't drop down the floor and explode creating a wave that will deal lots of damage to Jim; however, if you carry the bomb safely to Pete's house, he will grab it and throw it back to the tower where Psy-Crow is located. The ultimate goal is to make sure Psy-Crow gets blasted away three to four times and you will win.

The problem with this level is its length. You are constantly carrying puppies at different intervals, going from point A to point B, waiting for the bomb to appear so you can take it to Pete's house, and the bomb itself doesn't appear at a specific time so you have to stay alert and carry the puppies until the bomb eventually appears. The level goes on... and on... and on... all while constantly carrying puppies and therefore this can become pretty damn tedious to deal with. And another problem is the level being repetitive: doing this sort of thing is fine once in the entire game, but the thing is you have three acts. That's right: you have to do this level THREE TIMES throughout your playthrough, and of course these will grow in difficulty and length. All I can say is I never really look forward to Puppy Love being repeated twice later in the game and just after beating the first act.

Lynarii Desert - Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

551699-914433_20040225_023.jpg

This shouldn't even really count as a level. It's a huge, huge desert filled with enemies, some of which can only be hurt when damaged by certain kinds of magic that you need to collect. You don't play this level to get to the end though, it's actually a huge puzzle too. You have to use a certain kind of magic on certain landmarks spread throughout the vast desert in a certain order, which you either have to guess based on clues given to you throughout the game by this one guy, or just look it up online. Even if you look it up it's still not great, since you still need to go across this huge desert filled with annoying enemies, which is further slowed down by the need for someone to carry the chalice. It's just not a really fun level at all.

I didn't want to pick another Sonic example. I really didn't. I could have picked from a thousand different shit-tier desert or sewer levels. But no. This deserves every scrap of hate it gets.

Least Favorite Level: Big the Cat's entire story in SA1

Big_the_Cat_Sonic_Channel.gif

God damn it. Hey, you guys know that one game with that one part that is so impossibly awful that if you ever felt like playing through that game again for old times sake or whatever, you'd remember it and be like: "Oh yeah, this game has that partFuck that part. On that note, fuck this game." I know you know that feeling.

Well Big's Story in Sonic Adventure is "that part". It's an endless, slow, boring, and shitty fishing minigame full of luck based bullshit and godawful controls. It's also required to finish the game. It has no redeeming factors whatsoever, and this alone has turned me off from playing SA1 for years now. 

If I had a list of shit that should never be in Sonic games ever, at the very top of that list would be "Slow, unexciting garbage." That is Big's Story.

• Thumbs Up 1

Orxon%27s_Factories.png

Kogor Refinery, Orxon (Ratchet & Clank)

There are plenty of reasons why I never liked the first Ratchet and Clank game as much as it's sequels and it's because of levels like this. When you initially visit this planet, you can't actively explore it as Ratchet due to the heavily polluted atmosphere, so you're forced to scout the area as Clank, who is fucking boring to play as. Once you get an O2 Mask from another planet you now get to explore the rest of the area as Ratchet, which doesn't make things any better. The level itself is just so tedious and boring, not helped at all by the enemies who are always placed in groups and can easily swarm you thanks to the cramped land masses you're forced to fight on, especially the large mutant lobsters who deal massive damage and are can be found in groups of up to 6 or 7. Even worse are gunships that'll spawn occasionally, often times on small platform stepping stones, who take a shit ton of damage to destroy and can easily knock you off you're little foothold and into the toxic pits. It's so annoying and there's very little reward for continuing to explore after the initial run through.

Yeeah I'm gonna have to piggy-back on this one, as most other terrible levels that I can remember are from Sonic.

It's just really boring to play through as Clank with his puzzles and gadgetbots, and tediously difficult as ratchet thanks to the reasons stated above and the sparse ammo of the first game. Not fun to play through and doubly worse to return to, this is probably the worst level in the entire series.

Day 7: Complete

I can't be the only one who had little to no problem with Big's part in Sonic Adventure. Big's part was literally a time consuming thing. It was not hard nor was it too easy. You just had to swim around and find Froggy. Once you found the bastard, you reel him in. The A.I. never changed for him. He was never too aggressive when hooked nor was he too timid. You literally just had to do the same thing 5 times over. Maybe because I was really good at Sega Bass Fishing. I found,however, Knuckles to be more of a hassle because fuck Treasure Hunting. 

Despite what it might come off as at times, I don't actually like complaining about video games all that much. I'm all for the occasional venting, but with the exception of a few examples I really rather detest the angry video game rant. Thus I'll keep this as brief and as objective as I may, though I'm sure a few of you may dislike it already for being another Zelda answer.

286114_S.jpg

The Eldin Volcano, from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

It's hard to pin down just precisely what it is about this level that eats away at me. There's copious back-tracking, certainly, but I've been fine with that before. There's the bland brown environment, but then I played through Twilight Princess with no complaints. It's not even controller-breakingly difficult or as obscenity-inducing as half of the other posts here. I guess if it's anything about the Eldin Volcano specifically, it's the lack of life and character that killed me. The wide, wonderful world of Hyrule was reduced to an obstacle course with revolving missions, like a particularly unimpressive Super Mario 64 level. Characters are nowhere to be found, unless one counts the cardboard cutout mole-creatures, the most lively of which has "fat" as his sole characteristic. There's no story to really speak of, nothing of value to overcome. Light and sound signifying nothing. It's an utter shame of a level, and one of the few I feel worse off for playing. It's bad enough that it's not fun, but it uproots the very spirit of a good Zelda game, and for that it earns this place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 7 - Least Favorite Level

77199_NSMBWiiU_Water-01-620x.jpg

The water levels from the New Super Mario Bros. series

These levels are probably the most boring from any Nintendo game I've played.  They are ridiculously slow, uncreative, and safe in an already pretty lackluster series.  Why is it that Super Mario World has like the only fun 2D Mario water levels?  It's because that game was adventurous and had secrets and cool things to find that would make water gameplay enjoyable.  These games just do the bare minimum, and even when they try to throw gimmicks in it just puts me to sleep with horribly unenjoyable controls, uninteresting visuals, and snore-inducing music.  Either make these more fun or just stop making them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Least Favorite Level:

The Library (Halo: Combat Evolved):

halo1_library--article_image.jpg

Fuck this level and may it burn in the bowls of hell. The Library was the longest levels in the game, but almost for all the wrong reasons. You had to deal with nothing but endless waves of those Flood bastards that can easily gang up on you and also dealing with them on either Heroic or Legendary was a pain in the ass and just a test of my sanity. I hate the cheap ass ones with the Rocket Launchers that can easily blindside you and I also cannot fucking stand those sections where you have to hold the Flood off long enough so that Spark can open the giant door. It's something I always never look forward when I'm playing the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

My least favorite level at first would have to be a level from Metal Gear Rising. This level is the SUPER LONG AND IMMENSELY TEDIOUS World Marshall Building, before the boss fight with Sundowner. When I first went there, I didn't have the large majority of my upgrades and I was still lacking in terms of know-how for some of my moves such as dodging. Not surprisingly, this place was immensely frustrating, ESPECIALLY the lift section, where I had to fight 2 of those gorilla/mastiff things, a ton of flying enemies, and a hammer-wielding guy in a REALLY SMALL AREA. I have lost count the number of times I have died in that god forsaken area, and the number of times I almost gave up.

It's more manageable now, but I will never forget the agony that little area gave me.

So um... yeah. This was actually a lot harder than I thought it would be. I think I'm having some sort of mental block here. That and my mind keeps going back to a certain series that I want to stray away from for this event. So... I guess this would have to be it for me...

Day 7: Least Favorite (what the hell were these game developers even thinking here!?!) Level

2810.png

Grand Theft Auto 4: Liberty City

Now wait, let me explain this before I have some of you jump at me. To be honest, outside of two certain series (one of which I want to save for a certain topic I know is coming), this is the game environment I can clearly remember having the most displeasure playing. Don't get me wrong, for the time the area was a pretty neat open world. But I think what really put it here for me was what you actually do in it. I honestly couldn't get into GTA 4 (it almost kept me from buying GTA 5) mainly because I found the characters and settings (while a technical marvel for the time) utterly dull and (in some cases) annoying. Though, I think the biggest offender was the driving. Once I beat that first mission with having to drive after someone and kill them I knew I was in for a bad time. The controls are so stiff and the turns the game expects you to do to beat a time limit were, at a lot of points, insane. It made me dislike the game world because of it and pretty much had me going back to the store a day or two later. I think I really should give it another shot someday but this world really did put a bad taste in my mouth.

So yeah, that's my least favorite level... outside the Sonic series. Sorry, but I really just have to say something about this... other level.

Fuck this stage...

Fuck this stage...

Fuck this stage.

Crimson_Carnival_D01.png

Sonic Unleashed: Eggmanland/ Crimson Carnival

Man, I don't think a level has ever pissed me off so much. I had heard rumors of it before I got to it but damn if I wasn't prepared. It took me a good 72 minutes to complete it on my first go with 40 lives lost in the process. I literally had to stop playing the game for a sec just to calm myself. I've never been one to get physically mad at a game but this level literally almost made me throw my controller a couple of times. It's way too overly hard for stupid reasons like no drop shadows and camera issues. Not to mention placing a long insta-klil quick time event right after a check point which basically meant I lost a life every time I couldn't hit the buttons correctly (and keep in mind this was back when I first got a 360). And dear lord, don't get me started on those hot dog missions. The time limits don't even matter at that point (I was actually able to get my time down to like 20 minutes) as it's all about not dying because you have to start from the beginning if you do.

I just... I just can't with this level. I love Unleashed and really didn't want to talk Sonic here but damn if the poor quality of this level can't be overstated.

Due to request of being able to do these..

Day 6: Favorite Level

Tokyo Megaplex (SSX Tricky)

This stage is maybe the best in Tricky and is probably the best in any of the SSX games.. heck, maybe in a boarding game in general. An endless plethora of ramps, hidden curves and slides, air vents and massive tubes.. man, the amount of tricks and insane stuff you could do in this stage was unreal. 

And man, playing this stage in single or multiplayer was a tense moment if I could ever say I had one. You ride the whole thing through 3 laps, and none of those laps feel like a drag. This stage makes it's break on fun factor, and excels. 

megaman2-81.png?format=original

Every level in classic Mega Man featuring spike strip everything at some point. Which is just about most of them, right? I think.

I love a good lot of the original Mega Man games but it's about that time in the level where I stop having fun and am ready for anguish and pain. LOL It's just not fun, and they stick out to me for how much fun I don't have with them, especially with how precise you have to be with it due to Rock's clunky nature. Gotta admit that's it's satisfying when you get past them, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 7: Least Favorite Level: Fire Sanctuary

228px-Sword_4093.jpg 228px-Sword_4100.jpg

Alright cool, we're in a fire dungeon... again. I don't mind though because dungeons the best part of this game and I'm interested in what gimmick this one has to differentiate from just "fire dungeon" like the previous ones did so well.

228px-Sword_3973.jpg 228px-Sword_3975.jpg

Pretty simple so far, just pour water in the... whatever that is... and then the door opens. Alright not bad so far...

228px-Sword_4102.jpg

Wait... what the hell?

228px-Sword_4105.jpg

...how do I get up there? I can't find a switch that could activate a waterfall or something to fill it or anything. What do I do?

Sword_4001.jpg

"Wait a minute..."

"No, you can't be serious... there must be some mistake I..."

Water_Dragon%27s_Basin.png

No...

tumblr_mi8mwc5Cfe1rdxswoo1_500.gif

"Nonononononono! Surely the game wouldn't make me do THAT. Would... it?"

YOU BASTARD!

No game, NO ZELDA GAME should EVER force you to backtrack, OUT of a dungeon and halfway across the entire overworld just to solve a stupid arbitrary puzzle. Never before in any game have I played through such obvious blatant filler. I literally was speechless when I found out that in order to solve this puzzle, I had to backtrack all the way to Lake Hylia, get that stupid Dragon's water basin, fly BACK to fire mountain or whatever it's called, travel all the way into the dungeon... just to solve a dungeon puzzle.

And the first part of this takes a minimum of 5-10 whole minutes to do. And that's assuming you're speedrunning. But wait, it gets even better... once you try to come back to Fire Sanctuary...

"Hey wait, what the...? Why the hell didn't it let me warp straight to the dungeon? You?! What are you doing here? Just let me warp to the dungeon and..."

SkywardSwordEscort_zpsd6677d54.jpg?t=139

First you make me backtrack.. and now you're forcing me to do an Escort Mission?

As somebody who was already sick of the filler this game was already throwing at me (I'm looking at you, musical tadpoles). Actually you know what? Anything that involves this blue dragon. I hate this stupid character almost as much as Fi. She's not majestic, she's not special. She's snobby as hell, you save her life, and she still forces you to do pointless meaningless tasks because she still doesn't believe you're the chosen one and "only the chosen one" can prove himself by... swimming around and collecting tadpoles.

I... I just can't. Never before have I had a game push me so hard not to like it or want to play it. Fire Sanctuary is the epitome of everything I dislike about this game. I don't care if the dungeons are the finest the series has had in a LONG time, the filler that you have to go through to play said good parts are just so god awful, I can't stand it. I'd love to replay this game's dungeons, but it's things like this why I hesitate to even think about replaying this game. :/

Previously on Day 6:

Next time on Day 8:

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 7 - Least Favorite Level

New Super Mario Bros Wii: World 9-7

http://youtu.be/aHjQ828GRac

hqdefault.jpg

So you have to carefully slide across ice without melting certain ones and getting chomped by the mini plants that were frozen.

Unfortunately:

-the Pirahna Plants in this stage shoot 3 fireballs at a time

-their pipes are placed in high positions, which you have to jump up to

-there are also a lot of them. At least 3-5 of them are on the screen at one time

-you have to avoid the Goombas protected by spiky chestnuts that act as Stage hazards

-Fire Bros that appear in the later half of the level. On the only 2 non-ice platforms. Moving up and down

-Also, you have to melt the ice to get the Star Coins, 2 of which are located over bottomless pits.

-slippery Ice Physics