Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Favorite ability...

250ij9k.jpg

Bowser's Vacuum Breath (Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story)

Created by the very Shroom that caused the majority of a game to take place within Bowser's fiery innards, the Vacuum Breath is actually a really cool move. Not only can it strip enemies of useful items, prevent them from healing themselves, and also knock them off their guard, but it also adds an extra layer to the RPG gameplay. See, when an enemy is small enough, you can use the Vacuum Breath to swallow it, causing the Mario Bros. to take it on within Bowser's gut. That means if your Bros. are a little under-leveled or you'd rather have a bit more of a challenge taking the regular-sized baddie on, you have that option! It really switches up how battles go from the previous games, which is something I absolutely LOVE about the Mario & Luigi series in general.

Now then, time for some honorable mentions:

2h3zmog.jpg

Talon Trot (Banjo-Kazooie/Banjo-Tooie/Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge)

The Talon Trot is INCREDIBLY useful. Not only is it the bear and bird duo's obligatory run button, but it can also be used to get up steep slopes. It's SO useful, in fact, that I have yet to see many Banjo players who don't use it as their default movement option. XD

20u1wmp.jpg

Throwin' Ninjas All Up In The Screen (TMNT: Turtles in Time Arcade/TMNT: Turtles in Time SNES/TMNT: Turtles in Time: Re-Shelled/TMNT: Arcade Attack/Nickelodeon TMNT: The Video Game)

Doing this is just so freaking cool every time. It's purely cosmetic, but there's just something about it that says "YEAH! I'm cleanin' house!" The sheer number of games that have some form of it just goes to show how legendary this move is. It's ingrained into the TMNT game mindset and it'll probably never go away. Well, I for one am very glad about that and look forward to seeing it in more Turtles games to come in the future. (Just...please...don't make another fighting system as needlessly complicated as Arcade Attack. tongue.png)

DAY 8 OF PRESIDENT CROW SHOWING HIS MOVES!

I'm gonna make this quick since I'm using hotel internet. I dunno how long it will last for me.

YukariP_zps76856a5a.png

Yukari's manipulation of borders!

Touhou powers are always vague. Flandre can destroy anything with a thought, Remilia can control destiny. And we never see the extent of these powers. Yukari is one of the most powerful youkai in the series and can manipulate boundaries and borders. This is mostly vague since she has apparently has control of the boundary of life and death. In short she's a reality warper but she is only limited to her sloth. However one thing we do know is that she can use her powers to create portals for various things, like transporting herself to summoning a freight train and its pretty awesome and I would like to have that kind of power. So UNTIL NEXT TIEM SSMB!

Ha! That badge won't elude me now!

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 8 - Favourite Ability. 

ermac610.jpg

Ermac's Force Lift - Mortal Kombat.

You can literally spam2win this move because most of the times your opponent won't be able to do anything. And that's why I love playing as Ermac in any Mortal Kombat game that he's in. And that's why I hate playing against an Ermac in any Mortal Kombat game, the computer is a goddamn bastard with him. 

But overall, great move for a great character.

Day 8: Favorite Ability

Reflecting

LymRIlO.png

It shows up in a few games, like the Pyro's Airblast, the shield from Bastion, reflectors in Super Smash Brothers, and who knows how many RPGs. I'm talking about the ability to negate an enemy's attack and have it blow up right in their faces. Sure, you can just attack someone normally, but there's just something inherently more fun about hurting an enemy with their own attack, not to mention how much more tactical it feels. Plus, in games where the enemy can dodge it like TF2, managing to land a reflected shot and kill an enemy with it is incredibly satisfying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 8 - Favourite Ability.

SSMB... I am ashamed... this is a Sonic fansite... a product of Sega... AND NOBODY MENTIONED THIS!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65oco0BXe48

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker --- Every god damn ability in the game!

How the hell do I pick just one!? The whole game is full of the most amazing abilities ever to grace a videogame!  

Theres an ability where Michael Jackson throws his hat across the screen causing enemies to explode!billie_jean.gif

ngbbs4255c259a3505.gif You can grab your crotch and yell OW! Why!? BECAUSE DANCING! ngbbs4255c259a3505.gif

You can moonwalk for utterly no reason other than it's cool!

And then there's the dance ability where Michael Jackson spins on the spot and then yells as he punches the air, then all the bad guys on the screen burst into a dance number before dying!

5xibly.jpg

However, it all palse in comparison to the ultimate ability... the thing which is probably the coolest thing I have ever seen on a genesis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DQs5Uiyzfc

Skip to 1:56 and turn speakers down.

You catch a shooting star and are then transformed into a giant metal robot who shoots lasers and throws bombs everywhere...

This is... the greatest thing ever in a video game!

This game, as bad as it is, the abilities/moveset within it are well worth checking it out... I mean just look at how insane the list is!

• Thumbs Up 5

OBVIOUSLY, THE GREATEST VIDEO-GAME ABILITY IN THE HISTORY OF ALL TIME!!!

InhaleKSSU.png

The copy-ability.

Kirby's copy-ability is what makes him kirby! Ya know, other then being a little pink ball of love. It's kind of terrifying that he can inhale his enemies, eat them, and then absorb their powers.

It's also fucking amazing.

It's so much fun to even think about, not to mention do. Gliding around with an umbrella, becoming a bird...thing...turning into this thing that is essentially Link. That thing with the blades.

A rock.

A motherfucking rock.

And...lots of stuff! It's what defines Kirby, I think. It's so fun, and also, pretty terrifying. I mean, where do those animals even go? I don't know, but I love it.

While I'm seeing a lot good abilities mentioned in here, each pertaining their own uniqueness and prowess, I think it's time to lay the smackdown on this fine day.

bomberman.png

An EXPLOSIVE Smackdown!

Aww yeah, son! My favorite ability has to be Materializing Bombs out of thin air Bomberman!

What's that? You think that's pretty weak and overall not that much of an impressive or conventional move to have? 

Some Guy: I didn't really say anyth-

Well then! Let me count the ways of why you, sir, are Wrong!

You see, with this ability in hand, you aren't just placing or throwing a limited amount of bombs, you are kicking, hopping, placing and throwing an INFINITE number of bombs at the touch of your finger tips. Not only is that already freakin' awesome, but you also have a varied arsenal of bombs, for even Bigger and Better Explosions!! They're also extremely fun to use and become a pro at it. 

I mean really, when are bombs ever NOT essential? Competing with someone who thinks they are the hottest of shits?

bomberman-blitz.png

Tell him who's the real top dog now!

Need to fire you're employee for intentionally messing up so bad, but can't find the right way to do it?

Kick.png

Kick that fool and watch the fireworks unfold!

Man endangers your way of living because of accurate face proportions?

180px-SNH_CN3.jpg

Never hesitate to throw in a few more, just in case, and watch your fears become ash.

So as you can see, Bombs certainly have quite the number of uses, and whole lotta man-powered explosions.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh, I was having so much trouble choosing between this or Unite Morphs. But as much as I'd like to, I feel like I have to save W101 for another day. A more... important day.

Favorite Ability: Blade Mode/Zandatsu (Meddle Geer Raisin)

MGRR-002-540x303.jpg

HELL YEAH HERE WE GO. You know how fucking cool it is when a guy with a sword does that thing where he just makes one cut and, like, a second later the guy he's cutting just sort of splits in half? Because Blade Mode from Metal Gear Rising is that. It's so fuckin' cool, dude. Or you could cut the enemy into a thousand little pieces and have them all drop to the floor at once. Or you could do a perfect vertical cut and have the sides just sort of fall limply while you EAT THAT GATORADE SPINE AND IT'S JUST 

SO

FUCKING

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not completely confident about my choice, but honestly this question is giving me a lot of ire as it is so I better not think too much about it.

Drive forms, from Kingdom Hearts II

(no picture this time..)

At the cost of a few bars of your Drive gauge, you can fuse with Donald or Goofy (or both), to activate a Drive form, of which there are four different ones (not counting the Final Mix version of the game). These drastically alter your attacks, and enhance your movement, fighting, and/or magic abilities, depending on which form you're transformed into.

They're a lot of fun because they all make you feel ridiculously overpowered, and they're really satisfying to play as, whether you're doing super long combos with Valor form, or obliterating everything with magic in Wisdom form. Sadly though, I'm not too happy about their inclusion because they contribute to making the game way too easy. The magic attacks when you're not transformed are already pretty useful, the normal combos you can learn are very lengthy on their own, and if you don't have access to a Drive form, you can always do a Limit attack, which makes you invincible, is really powerful, and requires nothing but mashing the Triangle button. Basically, the Drive forms are one thing among many in this game that empower you a bit too much.

Still, I put them on this list for a reason. Yes, they're broken as all hell, but I can't deny that it puts a big smile on my face whenever I get the chance to use one.

250px-Rosalina_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_

Star Spin - Mario

The addition of the Star Spin to Mario's arsenal of moves basically made combat without loosing your flow a breeze. It was also extremely useful for correcting jumps. In Mario 3D World, it's an ability exclusive to Rosalina and it breaks the game entirely there, but it's still pretty fun to use. I wouldn't mind Mario keeping this maneuver. It beats that sort of useless melee combo he had in previous games.

Flying (Pokemon)

Fly_I_OW.png

I did flight with the last one too, but it was specifically Tails's flying ability. This time, I'm going with flight in the Pokemon series. My reason of this? Well, I'll be honest; I'm a lazy person. Flying in Pokemon allows me to effortlessly travel from town to town, the lazy way. I love it!

I dunno, I just love flying for some reason. Which is kind of ironic, because I've always been so afraid of heights.

Day 8: Favourite Ability

Gonna have to go with Sonic for this one sorry:

SpeedBreak.jpg

Speed Break is incredibly awesome. I'd even argue it's better than the boost. You're going so fast that you can just skip entire sections of the level and not have to worry about falling down a bit or getting hurt by enemies. The only thing that can stop you are sharp hazards. It's just so awesome to do, and even see.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 8: Favourite Ability

An important aspect to keep in mind when designing a video game character is how he or she will be played in the game. Aside from the physical appearance, the personality and his or her portrayal in the role, the gameplay mechanics must be put into a lot of thought, granting him or her moves and abilities that not only makes the game fun to play but also makes the character unique from each other.

While I can think of plenty of unique abilities featured in different video game characters such as Mario's iconic Jump and its different iterations, Samus' suit upgrades and weaponry such as the Gravity Suit, the Wave Beam or the Screw Attack, or Sonic's iconic Super Speed, Spin Dash or Homing Attack, you guys must excuse me if I pull the Kirby trump card once again. XD Seriously, I just couldn't pass this one at all! Therefore my favourite video game ability is, without any doubt...

InhaleKSSU.png

Copy Ability (Kirby series)

Kirby's signature move Inhale, which was introduced in Kirby's Dream Land, was an unique ability for a video game character: you could suck up any enemy or object to either swallow 'em up or just spit 'em back to other enemies. At the time the game was released the ability was quite fun to play with, but it certainly needed a lot of polishing, it needed something else that could give Kirby a stronger edge in future instalments. When Kirby's Adventure rolled a year later, things got really interesting. Yes, in that game they introduced the Copy Ability. The Copy Ability allows Kirby to inherit his enemies' abilities once he has inhaled them, granting him the powers of that enemy. This trick gave a bigger depth into Kirby's gameplay elements since your range of attacks vastly increased to the number of abilities you could copy, ranging from Fire, Spark, Ice, Stone and many others! Now how awesome is that, hmm?

The number of abilities to acquire all at your disposal is one particular aspect I love about the Copy Abilities. Every game in the series tries to introduce new and fresh abilities while maintaining some of the most well-known ones, and this has given Kirby the possibility to copy dozens of abilities throughout the past 22 years of the franchise. Want to be a master swordsman and slash your opponents? Sword is the ability for you! Want to blast away your enemies with style? Bomb's away then! Want to grapple and wrestle your enemies with no mercy? Hail to the mighty Suplex! The abilities will guarantee to spice up your playthroughs since you can drop your current ability and copy a different one at any time, giving a lot of variety while you clear through every stage in the game.

Sword2.png Suplex.png Bomb.png

Aside from the number of abilities to copy, the different techniques and styles applied in certain games of the series is another particular aspect I like about this move. If Kirby's Adventure was the game that introduced them as a huge game changer that would affect the franchise forever, Kirby Super Star granted them a degree of complexity by giving them multiple moves to perform on each ability by input of different commands. Kirby 64 introduced for the first time the possibility to combine two different abilities into completely new ones, which poured very clever concepts into the Copy Ability's core mechanics; for example, by merging Needle and Rock, you could get Power Drill and pierce through heavens.

Power_drill.PNG

The most recent KIrby games in the series kept offering new twists in the concept of copying abilities, with Return To Dream Land introducing the Ultra Abilities to several standard copy abilities for on-screen one-hit KO attacks such as Ultra Sword...

KRtDL_Ultra_Sword.png

... or the latest addition to the repertoire of abilities from Triple Deluxe called Hypernova, which makes Kirby's stomach turn into a veritable black hole and be able to inhale almost anything, from giant blocks, enemies and energy beams to even mini-bosses! Talk about super badass move here!

Big_Bang.png

One more reason as to why I love the Copy Ability? Well, the fact that Kirby wears hats! Lovely, adorable, cute, sweet, stylish, gorgeous, warm and wooly hats! Kirby not only gets the ability he copies but also gets a hat to suit himself before kickin' ass. And at the same time he looks sooo freakin' adorable! I mean, just look at all of this~ Isn't he the cutest~? >w< *faints of too much cuteness*

Kirby-title.png

So! What else can I say about the Copy Abilities to summarize my post? I love its unique concept and mechanics, I love the range and diversity of abilities and moves, I love the different takes and twists implemented across different games in the series, and I love the adorable design of most if not every single ability. And most of all, it's extremely awesome and extremely fun to play with! =D

• Thumbs Up 9

THE EIGHTH WONDER OF THE WORLD

~ Now I've Got Your Power! ~

Gc2L6Nt.jpg

Day 8/30: Favourite Ability

Ability Selected: Copy Ability

Notable Appearances:

-The Mega Man franchise (circa 1987)

-The Kirby series (circa 1992, ability premiere in 1993)

"I have the power to have all the powers I want."

~Eric Cartman

If you can't pick one, pick 'em all.

So, for today's entry, I'll be going for the ability to copy the enemy's powers! That's right, my totally original never-before-used previously undiscussed mine-and-mine-only idea for today's theme! Surely no one else thought about copying that, right?

...huh.

Popular choice today, ain't it?

There's just something so satisfying about being, or becoming, a walking Swiss Army knife in a video game, when you just so happen to have the one power a peculiar situation calls far. You need a fire element ability to advance? An electric element? Water? Ice? Wind? An ability to wield specific weapons so handily like swords, saws, hammers, knives, frying pans, paintbrushes, microphones? The ability to transform into things like wheels, missiles, jets? The power to move incredibly fast, be incredibly strong, turn invisible, jump really high, flip over shit?

WHY NOT THE POWER OF ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. YOU WANT IT? IT'S YOURS, MY FRIEND! so long as you have enough Rupees

As straightforward as copying the enemy's powers does sound, I'll instead be going over two of its different interpretations for Day 8, and how they are used in their own separate contexts, to explain why these ones in particular are my favourites.

First, the poster boy of the Copy Ability: Kirby.

Let's get a good look at him first though, shall we?

l4gAaPr.png

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ;;w;; <3 hello you adorable little melter of hearts you

Isn't he a little cutie?

In the Kirby games, the eponymous Star Warrior is capable of inhaling enemies, consuming them, and copying their power just like that. If he swallows a swordsman-type baddie, he slices through as Sword Kirby (complete with a rather familiar green hat)! If he swallows a Fire-type enemy, he can burn things to cinders as Fire Kirby! If he swallows a generally loud enemy, then he takes to the spotlight as Mike Kir--oh GOD NO STOP! STOP!! GET HIM OFF STAGE!

You get the idea.

From Kirby's Adventure onward, this adorable bundle of pink became synonymous with the ability of copying his foes, but there's a bit of a catch. Kirby can only copy one enemy at a time, so you're going to have to be wise with your choice in abilities. Sure, you can mow through a ton of baddies, that would be fun, but how else are you going to 100% clear your given game? You have to put some thought into choosing the right power for the job, as the environment will cater and be exploitable to you depending on what you've got.

Big slab of stone that can't be destroyed normally, or a big piece of wood jutting out of the ground? You'll need something heavy to pound it all with, like Hammer or Stone. A chunk of magma rocks in your path that will keep on burning? Freeze it with Ice. A platform held up by a rope and -- is that a secret door down there? Cut it down with Sword, Cutter, Archer, Spear, so on!

Of course, this doesn't quite work the same outside the Kirby series, but holy hell is this trick fun to use in Super Smash Bros. (and, come on, it's super adorable to see).

I mean, Kirby wearing a Mario hat? Kirby gaining Sonic's Homing Attack? Kirby shouting his own cute little "Falcon PAHN~CH"?

Super cute.

ZaK9JOj.png

<3

Next up is he who did it first, Rock Light, commonly known as Mega Man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEItCGjqcmc

i'm sorry but i fucking had to

d1b1TY3.png

For simplicity's sake, I'll stick to the Classic Mega Man series, but know that this generally applies to the Mega Man X series as well.

While Kirby can basically sample (ZING!) a power at a time from just about any talented enemy, Rock doesn't get that same privilege. Kirby's powers are basically spoon-fed to him (ZING!) and handed to him on a silver platter (ZING AGAIN!), but not in Mega Man's case.

Rock starts off bare with nothing but his Mega Buster to defend himself and fight with. Sure, you know he can integrate the abilities of the Robot Masters gone wil(y)d, but that's it. You jump into a new level and have to work your way through the arduous bots and other obstacles, making for an incredibly difficult route, until you finally make it to the Robot Master. Only upon defeating them can your Weapon Copy System work its magic.

As corny as it sounds, that's what's "Mega" about his games' own take on the copy ability. It's not simply part of the gameplay -- the ability is the reward. And it's not just the one ability -- you continue on your journey to bring Doctor Wily to justice, you defeat more Robot Masters (and discover that, hey! this ability you've worked so hard to get is super effective against X Robot Master!), and you get stronger.

You started off with nothing but the Mega Buster, and emerge as so much more with so many different weapons at your disposal. It's subtle, but that character development is there. super fighting robot~ ♫

Do you know how gratifying that feels? 

It's amazing.

So glad I got into this franchise.

MxB7UwP.png

Fight, Mega Man! For Everlasting Peace!

• Thumbs Up 3

20130210185138!Spin_Dash_Brawl.jpg

So for once I'll go ahead and mention Sonic and his spindashing. I dunno, there's just something satisfying about tapping the button and watching him zoom off, whether it's because I want a quick boost of speed or I'm trying to get through a series of badnicks. I don't really have much else to say about it, so I'll mention another:

Web-swinging in Spider-Man games!  Now in some of them, it's nothing that special and is just used as a way to get around the city, but when Spidey first went open-world the swinging was so intricate and well developed that it was a selling point all on its own. It had weight and momentum and somewhat realistic physics and tight controls and eeeeeeeeeeeeeee I could just gush about it all day. It's the exact reason the first question on everyone's minds whenever a new Spidey game comes out is "how is the web-swinging?" It truly makes you feel like Spider-Man in a way no other superhero game can ever replicate.

• Thumbs Up 2

I guess ill give this one to Dark Jak from Jak II

Dark-Jak.png

Dark Jak was a blast to play when you had it, if you're in a bind and just need an awesome way to get out of it, just use Dark Jak. This dude tears shit UP! In Jak II he can go crazy fucking hogwild and shit load of enemies and you can give him various power-ups over the course of the game, stuff like a bomb attack, a vortex of chaos, straight up INVINCIBILITY and finally a power up that turns him into a hulking version that makes him TWICE as powerful and you feel like a fucking monster just mowing down everything in your path, it's so good.

Jak 3 ups the ante by giving him the power of invisibility and a full blown Kamehameha attack, GOD DAMN.

Day 8: Favorite Video Game Ability:

UYvDyXw.gif?1

Flight is where it is at, but that's too easy. Sorry Tails! So let's go with some a bit more exclusive within the video game world (as far as I know):

INHALING, courtesy of Kirby (I see this guy is quite the hot commodity today!happy.png ):

YfnGVkP.png?1

Inhaling is signature move of Kirby (mind you whom I recently started learning about), which involves him sucking objects into his mouth like a vacuum, which stretches to fit large objects. Kirby can then swallow the object or enemy that is in his mouth to eat it, or spit it out as a star to attack. Then there is the whole copying ability which allows Kirby to gain the abilities of his enemies once he has inhaled them, granting him the powers of that enemy....Very multi-purpose. wink.png  

I think that it is also cool that Kirby can inhale and swallow anything without choking, any kind of indigestion, heartburn, or a stomach ache. This seems to do him absolutely no harm. smile.png

v0rFYdC.gif?1

Look at this cute little guy eat! Who knew that something so adorable could be so destructive and have an appetite like that?! biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 6

TCr5ofy.jpg

I'm actually surprised that the Celestial Brush from Okami has yet to be mentioned, aside from Serperior's post sort of. I'm not sure if this is my favorite of all time, but it's high up there and I need to say something that's different from the last topic (Tea Time from Henry Hatsworth)

But there's so much you can do with this thing. The driving force behind the game's plot involves seeking out as many brush techniques as possible in order to restore Nippon to its former glory. You create life and mandate the weather, and also destroy all who stand between you and your goal. It is a vital means of support in battle, and each boss has their own strategy that forces you to use it differently each time - one boss in particular even tries to eliminate your usage of the brush altogether! You can also frequently mess with people you meet along the way, and sometimes it's for laughs, but you can help them out without them knowing and it just feels good to hear them praise the gods for their good fortune, whether or not they're even aware that you're the one responsible for aiding them.

I just love the Celestial Brush because it's the closest any video game has come to making you feel like you're in control of an all-powerful god.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sucks that when this started, shortly after I had to go without internet for nearly a week but oh whale, BACK IN ACTION

Favorite ability: Hookshot

1S6A16b.png

Maybe it's more of a tool, but I still see it as one of Link's most original and iconic abilities. I thought a lot about what I thought was probably my favorite ability throughout and eventually landed on this. It's just so fucking cool is all. Most Zelda games you get pretty conventional weapons up to this point such as bombs, bow and arrow, boomerang, and other things. So growing up, each game I've always looked forward to getting this guy since I guess it's finally something to aid you around the world you traverse instead of just ways to dispose of your enemies. The hookshot feels like something out of a bond movie, allowing you to just point and zip up at something in a heartbeat, and feeling like a total badass when you do it, especially on areas you've pasted earlier in the game that you can now get to with ease.

So yeah the hookshot is pretty up there. Maybe if I thought about it more for a few days I could give you something I probably like better, but the hookshot is definitely one that sticks to mind throughout time for me.

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 8: Hats Off to Halken!

Kirby-title.png

Kirby's Copy Abilities

This one, as a player and as a designer, will forever blow me away (hur hur). Sakurai and the HAL team took the standard power-up mechanics present in games like Super Mario and added so many layers of depth it's not even funny. In the more complex games especially, copy abilities essentially acted as entirely different playstyles, and each was a joy to play around with and discover new techniques. I think I might always take Kirby as a sign that even the most taken-for-granted mechanics can hide a world of depth and nuance, if only one takes the time to explore them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 8: What's your favorite Ability?:

original.0.png

What I love most about the Mega Man series is Mega Man and his copying ability. Thanks to his creator, Dr. Light, Mega Man has the ability to copy other abilities from the Robot Masters he's defeated and use their own signature moves to his heart's content. As soon as a gets an ability or two, he starts to become an unstoppable force as he gradually gains more abilities from each Robot Master he thrashes and the very fact that he can do this at will makes him a pretty powerful robot. Throughout the classic series he copy off of any Robot Master's signature abilities, also in the X series as Mega Man X, I mean the possibilities of his copying abilities are endless.

Well this came down to three really good ones for me (the other two being the grapple boost in Arkham City and the assassinations added in Halo Reach (so incredibly satisfying). Though, I think for a little change in pace on my part I'm going to go with something newer.

Day 8: Favorite (not even Mr. Popo can stop me now!) Ability

making-titanfall.jpg

Titanfall: Parkour

Yeah, it's common knowledge that shooters have been starting to run short on quality over the last few years. Though, I think that is why this ability has stuck with me. It literally adds another level of complexity to the gameplay. Ever find yourself feeling doomed with two titans coming at you? You can actually use the surrounding walls as an advantage to parkour up them and attack from above! Not to mention the feeling of chasing someone down by running on and up walls for that one assassination. It is just so deeply engaging and satisfying. It's an easy maneuver that has added a whole other level of thought to the genre as levels aren't just flat anymore. You have to stay thinking as your opponent will literally come at you from all sides.

• Thumbs Up 2

Favorite Ability

Well I don't think Parkour counts as an ability so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEQbRWocNus

The mother fucking NEGATIVE ZONE!

Just imagine it will you. You are sitting next to the happy motherfucker. And they are just so happy that is disgusting. All upbeat and shit. Walking like a 60s sitcom main character with their smile that belongs in a fucking Crescent commercoial. Fuck this guy. Negative Zone kicks in, and his depression just makes it so sweet. Oh yes. Just give me the power.

Day 8 - Favorite Ability

The Mask Transformations - The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

MM_Masks.png

(oh my goodness Komodin’s finally talking about a non-indie, non-Mario game for once)

As a Zelda game, Majora’s Mask is pretty distinct in terms of what it offered -- the three-day time limit, the focus of sidequests over the main dungeons, the depthful emphasis on the NPC’s of Termina, and the omnipresent feeling of dread and hopelessness that only really worsens as more areas of the world are available to you. One major gameplay element that this game has that no other Zelda game before and since do is the mask system. For the purposes of this topic, I will talk about four special masks--the transformation masks. You wanna know why I think using these masks are my favorite abilities. It’s mainly because of the variety they bring to the gameplay, making what is quite literally a gaiden game to Ocarina of Time feel so much more deep. They’re also important to the narrative of the game through the effects their creations have on the other characters in the game. Allow me to explain them...

Deku_Mask.png

The first one is pretty much forced upon you. After the Skull Kid lures you into Termina from the Lost Woods, he placed a hex on Link, transforming Link into a Deku Scrub. As a Deku Scrub, you’re basically a weakling. 

Deku_Link_25_aniversary.png

You’re mostly defenseless, with only a Magic Power bubble (which you don’t initially have) and the Deku Nut aerial bomb as your real means of offense. Although you can fly through the use of Deku Flowers, you can’t swim, you’re so small that you can’t grab any ledges that’s more than a couple feet above you or press down on any switches, and, most importantly, you cannot leave Clock Town as a Scrub. In other words, you’re essentially helpless with no way to out of your mess until midnight on the final day, where you can finally get back the Ocarina of Time from the Skull Kid. Once you go back, you’ll not only get turned back into normal thanks to the Song of Healing, but also keep the ability to turn back into a Deku thanks to the Deku Mask. This is important because...

Goron_Mask.png Zoramask.png

When you reach the Snowhead region later in the game, you can get the next mask--the Goron Mask--from playing the Song of Healing to the ghost of Darmani the Third. Further along in the game, you can get the third mask by healing the dying Mikau of the Zora band, the Indigo-gos. In sharp contrast to the hopelessness and loss of agency that the Deku Mask represents, the Goron and Zora Masks are significantly more capable. The Goron transformation not only provides you with strong attacks through the melee combos and the ground pound, but also, through the use of the Spin Dash-like Goron Roll and some magic power, the fastest non-transportation means of getting from Point A to Point B in the game. However, since a Goron is a rock creature, you still cannot swim with the Goron Mask on. The Zora transformation, on the other hand, is far more agile and acrobatic, with dual boomerang fins and a magical electric barrier. What’s really special about him is that he’s the only one who can swim… and he does it superbly. Seriously, out of all the games I’ve played throughout, this game offers the best and most fluid swimming controls that I’ve ever seen with the Zora transformation. You can even pull up the electric shield while swimming, giving you the freedom of swimming around as you choose.

599px-Goron_Link.png

Zora_Link.png

The fourth and final mask transformation is a special one. An endgame item, you can only get it by collecting the other 23 masks in the game. Once you’re in the final area in the game, you must give away all 20 of the non-transforming masks to the four Masked Children there. Once you do, there will be a final Masked Child who, when you talk to them, will give you this:

Fiercedeitymask.png

The Fierce Deity’s Mask. In what is perhaps the biggest contrast to the beginning of the game with the Deku Mask, when you don this mask, you become a GOD who is a giant, white-tunicked, white-haired and armored Adult Link. 

408px-Fierce_Deity_Link.png

In what is essentially Link’s Super Form, you wielding a sword that is not only the strongest in the game, but can also shoot powerful Sword Beams at any and all targeted enemies with a little Magic Power. Although you can only use this mask in boss fights, it makes every boss in the game look like a complete joke. Even the final boss. Normally, when you try to fight Majora’s Mask as your normal self and the other transformations, it is the hardest fight in the game with a high defense and all sorts of attacks that can easily tear you apart if you aren’t careful. With the Fierce Deity Mask? It only takes a few hits from the sword and its beams per phase to wipe the floor with it. It’s that powerful.
  • Thumbs Up 5

My favorite ability, would probably have to be Dark Jak's Dark Bomb attack. Very effective against a large group of enemies, the level of badass you feel after destroying everything around you is quite satisfying. Also, if you unlock the cheats for Unlimited Giant Dark Jak, the fun becomes even better.