Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 11: Most Frustrating Moment 

JdvnV.png

Accidentally deleting my save file when I was almost done the game: Rachet And Clank: Going Commando

Now, this one's my own fault but 1. I can still put some blame on the game because of something I'll talk about later and 2. I don't care, it was still very frustrating. Now, last summer I bought this game at a gaming convention, took it home and was having a grand old time playing it.  I would always select "Load Game" and load up my save file. But, the thing is on this game's menu, the default option when you boot the game up is on "new game", you have to move it down to select "load game". One day I was being absent minded and though I was loading my save file............while in actuality I was overwriting it and deleting it. My rage when I was back at the start of the game was intense. Now it was my fault, but I still think it's fucking stupid when you have save files saved, that the default thing the menu is set to is "New Game". It should be set to "Load Game" and if you wanted to start a new game, you should have to scroll up. Hence why I said I can place some blame on the game. But either way, I have not gone back to the game since, and all because of my own stupid fuckup.

Day 11: Most Frustrating Moment(s)

Not only is it frustrating, but it is cruel as well.

http://youtu.be/YCMaIe8nGas

Cruising in Mario Kart and being stopped by a turtle shell, a banana peel, or any other technicolor torture device... there is nothing more cruel.

And now... A moment of silence for those who have been maimed, injured or otherwise crippled by these brutal, maniacle racing games.

If you know someone who is being affected by this, please reach out to them and call: 1-888-END-KART Call collect, your first 2 minutes are free.

Please, think of the Koopalings.

KH2_Intro_High_Riku2.jpg

Kingdom Hearts - The Dark Riku Boss Battle

I don't know about you guys, but this boss battle PISSED ME THE HELL THE F**K OFF! This battle caused me to rage quit for the first time in a VERY long time. 

This bastard just KNOWS. Everything you can throw at him he'll counter it. He also has so many AOE (area of effect) moves which covers the entire arena with blasts, and the arena is pretty flippin' small. He is so fast and when his attacks connect, get ready for an ass kicking because he strings such long combos.

WHATEVER YOU DO, do not lose because every SINGLE TIME you lose this boss battle, you'll have to watch a 5 minute long cutscene. EVERYTIME! I lost so many times that the cutscene is now imprinted in my brain. "There's no way I'm letting you take Kairi's heart" indeed...thank God that they finally added an option to skip cutscenes in future entries. Y'know, it wouldn't be so bad if you could skip the cutscene but this right here was the major killer for me. I just ran out of patience.

The only way I beat him is by copying tactics from someone who kindly posted a video on how to beat him. It requires lots of parrying with perfect timing.

My runner-up would go to bosses which have 1-hit KO moves. Think you're gonna beat me, LOLNO! BAM, your entire team is now gone and guess what...you've gotta start again! Ugh, so bloody cheap.

Day 11 - Mambo bitches like a lil kid :D

Oooh man, Discoid. That is so, so rough. sad.png I feel your pain.

Not that I lost any game files (in fact my sister once managed to oversave my stepdad's files on a PS2 game, deleting his in the process... he was fucking livid!) but I have been constantly interrupted whilst playing games usually by my mum or nan who thought I was spending too much time at the console, or they felt I should be doing something more... ladylike... like looking at whatever cooking book they were reading or whatever. Once my mum actually stopped me playing the PS2 game Primal because "your stepdad plays it all evening and I don't want to see it in the daytime as well!" O.o Right.

Anyways, I'm starting to sound like an entitled gamer, which I'm really not... but I would say it's really frustrating having to deal with folks who just don't understand the world of games, and I don't mean in a "hurrr I can't believe you don't know what Mario is!" but in a way when you're faced with negativity on their part. Like yanking the plug out of a console when it's saving a game, like walking right in front of the TV and talking at you when you're fighting the toughest boss evaaaar! To things like reading how video games are turning children into serial killers and the like. Once when my boss was trying to "get to know me' I mentioned I liked video games, and when she asked me which ones I mentioned stuff like Bioshock, GTA... her facial expression contorted into that of extreme horror. She responded with something like "oh, where you're just killing things for no reason. I'm surprised I thought a nice girl like you would like normal games like NintenDogs. Oh it's soooo cute!"

What. The. Fuck.

I feel almost ashamed to talk to people IRL about the games enjoy, for fear of how they react. I feel ashamed to play games when I am visiting my parents, even if I show interest in a game and my stepdad asks me if I want a go. That I find frustrating. sad.png

Anyways, I apologise for the self-entitled bitching there. sad.png It's something that pisses me off but really shouldn't.

The other things I find frustrating about games is the idea of a "Gaming Culture"'. That only if you behave a certain way, play certain games, or if you're simply not male you're not a "real Gamer". With a capital G.

Like any of this shit matters. Who's to say that playing Angry Birds is not a really "Gamer" thing to do? Is it anyone else's business what games you enjoy? Fuck that shit. And the rest of "Gamer" culture. It's a gawd damned hobby, I play what I like.

Also... enforced system updates. Sometimes they can reaaaaally fuck up your console! D;

Then there's always the RROD and related issues! biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 11: most frustrating moments

Hmmm, I can think of quite a few, as a lot of them stem out of my utter inability to mash buttons at high rates. But that's not the main one I'm going to do, neither will I do that time my sister and dog managed to corrupt my NGC memory card wiping ALL my saves.

The one I'm going with is: Game Breaking Glitch during the toughest level during the climax of the game! Now these Really get on my nerves, I've just reached a pivotal moment, or beaten a goal, or something huge is about to happen, and then... I just fall throught a break in the surface collision, and start falling, and falling, and falling until I have to restart the game, and do that entire segment over again. Luckily it doesn't happen as often in games anymore, though there was that one time in Lego Marvel a couple weeks ago, and the occasional sonic game revisit

Day 11! Most frustrating moment!

Ohhhh, there's quite a few in my case. I'm one of those gamers that gets frustrated really easily when things don't go my way, whether it's a boss I can't beat or an area I can't progress through easily. Honourable mentions; most of Kingdom Hearts' boss battles, Bioshock Infinite's wave of enemies, game freezing randomly and the Grandmaster Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2. Now here's my most frustrating gaming moment;

LegionHitSquad.jpg

These assholes are Legionary Assassins from Fallout New Vegas. There's an NCR version as well and it depends on who's side you're on, whether it's Caesar's Legion or the NCR (in my case, the latter). Now what makes them so frustrating you ask?

They randomly spawn in the Mojave wasteland without warning, shoot you with some of the most overpowered weapons in the game and you die within seconds if you're at a low level. That's right, seconds. You can actually bump into these guys when you're only at say, level 8 and they will kick your ass.

I was only a couple of hours into this game when I left Novac and headed out to the NCR base nearby when these bastards suddenly popped up out of nowhere and shot at me, lowering my health down to just a few bars. I tried to defend myself and threw grenades and shot at them with a rifle, but they must be robots or something cos they're health and armour is INSANE. They are so overpowered and buffed up that the only thing you can do as a low level character is flee from them. Once they kill you, you have to load up your save all the way back in...well, wherever you saved last! In my case, back in fucking Novac. THANK YOU!

Seriously though, I'm thinking this must be some kind of glitch or bug because even when you're at level 20 or whatever beating these assassins is still a pain. Plasma, laser, grenades, missiles, nothing kills them! Oh it does but it takes sooooo long and they can still do plenty of damage to you too! What's up with that?? Bumping into these guys in Fallout New Vegas is one my least favourite things about the game and one of the most frustrating moments in all my gaming life!

Without a doubt, the medal system in Sonic Unleashed. I got to Jungle Joyride Day and found out that I nearly have enough medals to play the stage. This meant I had to backtrack through the entire game to collect most of the sun medals. This also meant I had to replay the fuck out of some of the Werehog levels. This annoyed me greatly, and put me off Unleashed for months until I finally had the patience to go back through the game and collect them. Luckily, after Jungle Joyride Day, I didn't have to collect anymore.

It's also pretty damn frustrating when I'm playing Minecraft on my 360 and the game crashes when I haven't saved in a while. It also seems to be when I make the most progress too. :(

Most Frustrating Moment.

Primal is my favourite PS2 game.......which made it all the more frustrating when a certain game-breaking glitch would occur.

5344.jpg

Upon completing the third world, Athea; just after you defeat the final boss in that area you get a brief 30 second cutscene. At the end of the cutscene you walk through a rift-gate (portal). However, instead of switching back to normal gameplay, once you have walked through the rift-gate a game-breaking glitch would sometimes occur where the screen goes black and a piece of music keeps playing over and over and never stops.

I can't find a video of the glitch, but the glitch would occur at 32:31 on the gameplay video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5CeAvBXHBQ

This would happen often when I had the original bigger PS2 console. It was impossible to predict when the game-breaking glitch would occur when I started a new save-file. What made it was worse was that if the glitch had occurred, regardless of how many times I loaded up the same save-file from the previous checkpoint, the glitch WOULD STILL OCCUR! So basically I was fucked, and considering that Primal is a very long game - you easily put in 12 hours of gameplay -  it left me utterly frustrated.

Primal is still a wonderful game which I love despite the aformetioned glitch, and since I got the smaller (much more reliable) PS2 console I don't encounter that game-breaking glitch anymore, thank god!

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's say you're playing a platform game. You're scaling something, climbing up. You miss a jump or get hit by and enemy and get knocked off and have to climb all the way back up. That's what frustrates me. Example?

The_Wood.jpg

Click Clock Wood. You climb up tree, and fall off somewhere. It's my favorite level in the game, but goddamn if it doesn't frustrate me.

Oooh man, Discoid. That is so, so rough. sad.png I feel your pain.

Not that I lost any game files (in fact my sister once managed to oversave my stepdad's files on a PS2 game, deleting his in the process... he was fucking livid!) but I have been constantly interrupted whilst playing games usually by my mum or nan who thought I was spending too much time at the console, or they felt I should be doing something more... ladylike... like looking at whatever cooking book they were reading or whatever. Once my mum actually stopped me playing the PS2 game Primal because "your stepdad plays it all evening and I don't want to see it in the daytime as well!" O.o Right.

Anyways, I'm starting to sound like an entitled gamer, which I'm really not... but I would say it's really frustrating having to deal with folks who just don't understand the world of games, and I don't mean in a "hurrr I can't believe you don't know what Mario is!" but in a way when you're faced with negativity on their part. Like yanking the plug out of a console when it's saving a game, like walking right in front of the TV and talking at you when you're fighting the toughest boss evaaaar! To things like reading how video games are turning children into serial killers and the like. Once when my boss was trying to "get to know me' I mentioned I liked video games, and when she asked me which ones I mentioned stuff like Bioshock, GTA... her facial expression contorted into that of extreme horror. She responded with something like "oh, where you're just killing things for no reason. I'm surprised I thought a nice girl like you would like normal games like NintenDogs. Oh it's soooo cute!"

What. The. Fuck.

I feel almost ashamed to talk to people IRL about the games enjoy, for fear of how they react. I feel ashamed to play games when I am visiting my parents, even if I show interest in a game and my stepdad asks me if I want a go. That I find frustrating. sad.png

Anyways, I apologise for the self-entitled bitching there. sad.png It's something that pisses me off but really shouldn't.

The other things I find frustrating about games is the idea of a "Gaming Culture"'. That only if you behave a certain way, or if you're not male you're not a "real Gamer". With a capital G.

Like any of this shit matters. Who's to say that playing Angry Birds is not a really "Gamer" thing to do? Is it anyone else's business what games you enjoy? Fuck that shit. And the rest of "Gamer" culture. It's a gawd damned hobby, I play what I like.

Also... enforced system updates. Sometimes they can reaaaaally fuck up your console! D;

Then there's always the RROD and related issues! biggrin.png

I can feel your pain sister. There's nothing that makes me sigh more than when I tell people I play Banjo Kazooie/Sonic/Kirby instead of Call of Duty/GTA/Halo

The Subspace Emissary.

map1.jpg

It's. So. LONG. Having the patience to go through every room and find the trophies is such a challenge for me as I wanted it to be done so fast. It's especially frustrating when you have all but one trophy and can't progress until you find it....And backtracking that entire level is the biggest pain in my rear.

Edit:Hilariously I just meant Great Maze, but you can basically apply what I said to the entire story mode.

If not for that satan spawn, I'd probably said that candy dragon thing from Mickey Castle of Illusion(remake) as jumping those platforms, both 2D and 3D, is so bad as there is no drop shadow, you can barely tell the direction the cookies it flings are headed, and the friggin narrator is annoying!

• Thumbs Up 1

So, day 10 answers are still acceptable? Lucky me then.

Day 10 - Most Immersive Game

Today I'm not gonna mention Persona 3, I'll talk about Persona 4.

cekRc5w.png

While I prefer 3 when it comes down to basically everything (except some gameplay mechanics), I think that Persona 4 does a better job in terms of immersion.

The cast, the story, the school, the slice-of-life events and even the dialogue of most NPCs makes you feel like you're really spending a year in the town of Inaba enjoying the last months of your teenage years with your friends. Oh and trying to solve murders.

The team behind the game did their best to try to make you feel at home when playing and they sure nailed it. You know this when one of the biggest decisions in the game is highly influenced by your relationship with a certain character. They KNEW that at this point you truly cared about everyone.

During the last cutscene it's when you realize that the game is actually coming to an end and remember the good and bad times you had while staying in town for a year and while your friends wave you goodbye you can't help but feel sad but also happy at the same time.

Day 11 - Most Frustrating Moment

Yup, corrupted save files.

The last time this happened to me was in Dragon's Crown when I was trying to do all the quest so I could complete the art gallery.

LsIvcLu.png

Since I can't find a picture showing a corrupted save file, have this one with baby harpys from the said gallery.

So, about the accident. Like I already said, I was trying to do all the quests in the game after beating the main story and since there are so many of them, I was only doing some five per day. While doing the quests, I would collect all the bones of other players that died so I could revive them but little did I know, some dudes where using trainers do max stats, weapons, levels, all that shit and if you end up collecting the said people's bones your save data is fucked.

Lo and behold, one day when I start up the game a message saying "Your Save Data is Corrupted" welcomes me. Jesus, I don't remember the last time I was so pissed.

Well, since I couldn't do shit about it, I had to start a new file from zero. Luckily, the game was patched some days later and while that didn't fix my fucked data, at least I know that this shit won't happen again.

In case anyone missed it, combinations for Days 10 and 11 will be accepted as being on time per due to some confusion due to what the question for Day 10 entailed. I will be sure to note this exception for this combination accordingly, especially seeing that I am taking advantage of it myself. smile.png

Day 10: Most Immersive Game

I read the OP for Day 10 numerous times, looked up "immersive" in several different dictionaries, asked a ton of my friends what it meant and I finally got an idea of what "Immersive" means based on Discoid's latest status update. He said that it refers to games you feel you get completely sucked into and that an easy analogy is that you forget you're holding a controller at times. Now I get it! Even more so after Discoid further explained things in the post I referred to earlier.

That said, seeing that I tend to struggle while I play video games and I am always conscious of the fact that I have a controller in my hand due to me sucking at the controls for most games. But every once in a while I tend to have moments where I am completely sucked in while playing Sonic Unleashed playing many of the day levels.

CJ5PNsO.jpg?1

Somehow with all of the boosting I tend to forget that I am actually playing a game due to admiring the scenery, even though Sonic is going at such a rapid speed. It reminds me of when I am in a car travelling along at high speeds, yet I am still able to observe, absorb and admire the beautiful surroundings in addition to knocking things over that are in my way. That tends to happen to me while playing Sonic Unleashed, only for that thought to be brought to an abrupt end when I trip over or something or run into something either-which happens sooner than later. dry.png

Day 11: Most Frustrating Moment:

My frustrating moments when it comes to video games knows no bounds due to how poor I admittedly am as a player. But what definitely comes to mind is my frustrations in playing the final boss of this game:

OKxdjlY.jpg?1

After engaging in various fun battles which included such with beloved badniks Scratch, Grounder, and Coconuts, the final level of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine involved a fitting showdown with the Doctor himself, that was very intense. I lost count of how many times he crushed me in frustrating defeat, as it had to be like at least 50 times that happened. As soon as it looked like I would finally beat him, he would never fail to pull a strong string of chain reactions that would cause me to run out of space and lose the battle. Dr. Robotnik laughing at me didn't help matters when I lost. sleep.png

dShUJmi.png?1

But finally, after many trials and hours later, I was on the victorious side. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that "YOU WIN" message on the side of my screen in the match as honestly thought I could never beat this guy. All in all it was a great feeling to have finally beaten the game-and any video game at that. smile.png

I sincerely apologize if I still didn't answer these questions correctly and all kinds of wrong but I am too drained after wrapping up the 30 Days of Sonic officially last night on top of having a severe migraine...at least this topic will now have my undivided attention from now on. wink.png

• Thumbs Up 8

Alright, so you're scooting downtown, ahead of the pack by seconds away. So far it's been a smooth ride. Final lap and the goal is right within your vision. But then you hear it. That loud beeping sound. The stuff of nightmares.

BlueShell.jpg

The Blue Shell

It's coming in fast, you're nearing the finish line. There it is! The shell is hovering over your head. Just. One. More. Inch. BOOM. Just as you were about to pass the finish line, you get blasted by this spiked son of a bitch. Racers pass by you at blistering speeds as you struggle to start your engine back up. From first to 6th or so place in mere seconds. It's especially frustrating if you're in the 150cc cups where the CPU is especially challenging. Never in my life have I wanted to smash my controller so hard. This one item, I tell ya. It can really turn what was a fun racing experience a frustrating one. At least it's satisfying to hit your opponents with it, and see them get frustrated. laugh.png

Day Numbero 11: Ground Zeroes, Ninja's "You're my Number one Frustration, Kami" Most Frustrating Moment ever!

now

over the years, many, many cocnepts have arised in this there Medium called Video Games, and many People, who love Video games, have contributed to them

but one person, who I assume goes by the name of E. Scort Mishoun said: "I hate Video games, and I want you to Hate them yourself"

thus Escort Missions were Born

MDRyQbm.png

Picture: E. Scort Mishoun on his way to ruin Video Games

ah Escort Missions, the Original "Fuck you" of Video games, along with Ninja Gaiden.

now, I have to admit, not all of them are bad, of course, but.....alot of them are plain shit and you know why? Because 90% of the time, the A.I for whoever you gotta Babysit is utter crap.

Dead Rising 1 is the prime example of that, whoever managed to save every single person, I salute you, because you have more patience than me to deal with these Morons, who somehow manage to be even more Brainless than the fucking Zombies and lets not forget the sort of survivors who find the need to actually tell me their live story before they go anywhere while I am desperatly try not to get fucking eaten

and then you add in convics and just fuck off the edge of my Dick you cunt, I have Wars to cover.

Honorable Mention goes to Yoshi's Island, Resident Evil 4 and Bioshock Infinite, for having good Escort Missions.

• Thumbs Up 3

Most frustrating moment? Turnabout Big Top.

1J1Sy7P.gif

AHA! AHA! AHA! AHA! AHA! AHA! AHA! AHA!

Ace Attorney 2 is already one of the shittiest games I've ever played, last case aside.

But this fucking case is the worst. It has so many goddamn obnoxious characters, shit writing, a defendant I want to fucking execute myself, a love triangle no one fucking cares about, and a guilty party who has this horrible pacifist facade going on.

The worst. The fucking worst. If the game gave me the option to rub my balls on a cheese grater to skip this case, I'd do it for 5 fucking hours if I could skip this crap.

Just don't fucking play AA2 unless you can find a copy with a completed save file so you can just cut the bullshit and do the 4th case off the bat.

• Thumbs Up 2

final-fantasy-x-box.jpg

8IdnF.jpg

ANY TIME YOU DIE AND HAVE TO REWATCH TEN MINUTES OF CUTSCENES BECAUSE SOMEONE THOUGHT THAT PUTTING IN A SKIP BUTTON WOULD HAVE BEEN TOO MUCH WORK BECAUSE THE GAME DEVELOPERS HATE YOU AND WANT YOU TO DIE AND NOT HAVE FUN BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS AWFUL AND WHY??????????????

*pant*

YEAH

So why is the image I'm using for this one a poorly-done self-made Gimp edit of Final Fantasy X's box art?

Because Final Fantasy X is the

Final-Fantasy-X-FFX-HD-Wallpaper-set19-Z

WORST

Final-Fantasy-X-FFX-HD-Wallpaper-set22-0

DAMN

tumblr_lx0iokEoOY1qmr4wd.jpg

OFFENDER

See those two bosses up there? Pretty tough. Genuinely so, I'd say. All in all, very cool boss fights.

But both of them also share another interesting attribute.

They are preceded by long, story-heavy cutscenes. These cutscenes are also some of the better ones in the game. They're quite fun to watch, oh, the first time through.

The second time, it's kind of annoying.

The third time, you kind of want to die.

The fourth time, you start to ponder why the game developers would opt to curse you so.

The fifth, sixth, seventh and so on times sort of bleed into each other as you cry hot tears of desperate agony, praying that this time, something will give, that you will either finally defeat this boss or that...that somehow, you will find a way to skip the cutscene and not endure the frustration one more time.

And the game only replies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

with irreverent, maniacal laughter

Actually, you know what? Mm. Mm. I think I'll go ahead and list Final Fantasy X's entire final sequence as my personal most frustrating moment. Before an incredibly brutal boss preceded by a brutally long cutscene, you are forced to collect crystals in a nauseating rotating camera room, and you don't get to save afterward. Meaning that if you die? You have to repeat everything over again. Not just the boss. Not just the cutscene, but this weird awful rotating room with icicles that pop out of the ground and force you into enemy encounters BECAUSE THAT'S FUN I GUESS.

HONESTLY WHAT WERE THEY THINKING????

I do enjoy Final Fantasy X, don't get me wrong, but I also find it very...flawed, and I'd say these are the flaws that happen to bug me the most. Of course, the main point I'm trying to make is, unskippable cutscenes are awful and everyone who puts them in a video game should feel bad.

Really

tumblr_ml88p0rrJQ1ql4dkdo1_500.gif

REALLY

xoGV64H.gif

BAD

DISHONORABLE MENTIONS

• Thumbs Up 4

8GH0G9D.png

Any moment when one or more of these pricks are on the screen.

Flying enemies tend to be a pain in video games. They're often hard to hit or flat out of your reach and usually move in annoying ways and are hard to counter-attack because of how fast a lot of them are. Ninja Gaiden is an infamously hard game, having shit flying at you from everywhere at all times, extremely difficult platforming and all you have to get yourself by with is a sword with what feels like an annoyingly short range and some magic every now and then. So what happens when you combine these two horribly annoying things? You get this asshole. With an extremely small hitbox, swift and awkward to avoid movement patterns, and always hanging around the god damn bottomless pits in fucking droves makes any sections where these guys decide to show their stupid faces a huge pain in the dick. Whether they decide to mess up a difficult jump, swarm you with no feasible escape because of how fast they are, appear out of nowhere and snipe you down when you're low on health or whatever else, these guys will find you. And they will kill you. Over and over and over again. Fuck these guys.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 11: Most frustrating moment.

I might be a bit biased (as in, I'm sure there are worse things out there, but I can't think about them right now) because the following choice is a very recent and frustratingly frequent memory...

2012042423071207f.jpg

Error 630 - Phantasy Star Online 2

This right here is a common source of frustration for many in pretty much any MMO (a connection error) but in my PSO2 playtime this can become a ragequit inducing experience, you see in PSO2 there are some quests that in order to run you have to accomplish some prerequisites or be damn lucky to play them, and getting one of these during this specific runs can ruin everything for you and sometimes for the other 3 or 11 players who were unlucky enough to be stuck next to your vanishing self.

* Advance Quests: Getting a 630 is mildly annoying because the capsules you are required to get to take part of this quests can be obtained in the game shops, at a hefty prize mind you but it's do-able still, the other 3 people partying with you who needed as many players as possible to get bigger spawns are probably not happy.

* Emergency Quests: This one can be very to not so frustrating, you see, in scheduled EQ runs the entire ships (and subsequent blocks) will fill very fast with players who want to take part of it, but this lots of players can be range between very good or "dear god why are you using a 7* sword against the toughest enemy on the game!? [/mild nerdrage]", wary players will try to get to the good blocks ASAP but one of these little errors can send you back to the latecomers (which once again, can be both good or bad, but the chances or getting a good party diminish a little). This... Is not so bad depending on the EQ, in a Dark Falz [Elder] run it's not much of a problem unless you have like... 4 or more characters and want to run with every single one. On a Mining Base Defense/Intrusion quest though is a completely different matter since due the way the quest works you are most likely going to end up waiting around 10 minutes until the people who started before you get to do their second run... Getting one of these on Dark Falz [Loser] can be very bad for the rest of the party since player arrangement in this EQ can be the difference between a 5 or a 30 minutes long run.

* Extreme Quests take the cake tho, getting any of the special weapons this quest can offer require repeated runs of the whole stage, the whole stage is composed of 70 floors where you must clear different mini missions in order to advance, each stage is divided in sections of 5 floors, each of these sections require 1 Extreme Pass to play it, so you'll need around 14 passes to do a full run, this passes can only be obtained once per day and you only get 1 so it'll take you 2 weeks to be able to get a full XQ run... Guess what happens when you get a connection error during one of these...

The latter one is certainly a very very BS way to hunt for a weapon, which is why I don't even bother with it after one of these very frustrating moments.

EDIT:

Another more recent example for me would be on Phantasy Star Online 2.  To unlock story quests you have to do a combination of finding mini cut-scene triggers that expand the story little by little, building up to whatever goes down in the next story quest, and tracking down specific enemies to obtain an item drop from them.  Since enemy spawns are random, some can be tricky to find.  Sod's law always has it that the enemy you want just seems to never show up when you have that item drop search active.  I was looking ahead on my quest board to see what I would need to get further down the line, and remembered specifically seeing a certain enemy on a quest that I'd need later on.  When the time came, I recalled what quest it was and played it through six times and never had this enemy appear.  In the end I had to resort to asking my friend to help me do a time attack quest just for this one specific enemy, since Time Attack quests have fixed spawns.  Unfortunately the time attack also had a few bosses as fixed spawns which I just couldn't handle alone.

Actually, there is a way to get around the enemy spawn thing (mostly), each Arks Quest (the ones you get before a Free Field) tend to specialize in certain kinds of enemies you can check that in the quest records, look for a quest with a high spawn % of the enemy you are looking for and you should do just fine. (this feature also comes really handy when you are running team orders)

Note that this only applies to the Matter Board nodes that are somewhat required to progress (some blue ones, all the yellow ones) no matter how high of a spawnrate an enemy has the optional Matter Board items (that you might want in case of affixes) have a very low droprate, this becomes specially frustrating when you are hunting for bosses. (the last Matter Board has a very good 10* Katana that drops from Blu Ringardha, but good luck getting it :U)

EDIT2: Oh god...

I forgot this guy...

I forgot this existed...

Gill+Resurrection.png

Gill+Resurrection+2.png

Why did I have to remember this existed!?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CanaryMary.jpg

Anyone remember this mutated monstrosity from Banjo-Tooie known as Canary Mary? She challenges you to some races throughout the game. NOT regular, on-foot races, no. She gets to fly while you're constricted to a stupid handcart or a slow-ass clockwork mouse thing. And to make them go? Mash the A button. That's seriously it. Now the first couple races with the handcart aren't too bad. They're annoying and tiring, but manageable. The true pain doesn't come in until later on when she makes you use the stupid mouse. The first race for the Jiggy is difficult and will likely take new players a few tries, sure, but then there's the second race for the Cheato Page.

Oh. My. God.

As a kid, I just couldn't fucking do it. Not me, not my friends, not my friend's older siblings, and judging from internet reactions today we weren't alone. It seems like most people just give up, and the ones who do manage to beat it end up uploading 15 minute long videos on Youtube about how to do it. Because mash that button all you want, pause the game and give your thumb a rest all you want, this stupid yellow freak is going to overtake you and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. That said, I actually did manage to do it one time...8 years after the game's release. Oh believe me, I felt like I had just climbed Mount Everest or something, because victory only came after hours and hours of mashing that button, and even then I just barely won.

-------

I'd also like to give an honorable mention to something more universal. It's not much of a problem with newer games since they tend to do it for you anyways, but have you ever been playing an older game for a long period of time, perhaps getting through entire sections, only to turn the console off and realize at that exact moment with sickening horror that you forgot to save? This can kill off entire playthroughs for me, since I'll be feeling too bitter to come back to it immediately just so I can spend hours playing the same segments again.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not sure if "All you had to do was follow the damn train CJ" or if I should think a bit outside the box.

Day 11: HOLY CALAMITY SCREAMIN PROFANITIES ALL YOU'RE EVER GONNA DO IS DRIVE ME TO INSANITY, FUCK!

Had a couple in mind, but none have murdered me more than:

REN'S MOST FRUSTRATING MOMENT: THE SNK BOSS

A lot of us are familiar with the SNK Boss Syndrome thing. You know, when fighting games have those super cheap-ass bosses with the bullshit AI and overpowered moves. Yeah. Me being a huge fan of King of Fighters, I've met my fair share. Some examples:

This asshole

Rugal_cvsnk2.png

This bastard

Geese_Howard.jpg

THIS dude here...

magakixi2.jpg

and most recently...THIS DICKFACE

DarkAshWinXIII.png

So what do all these bosses have in common?

Well...they pretty much effectively make you feel like you're not as good as you thought you were. They relentlessly spam projectiles and play the MOST annoying game of keep-away and then before you know it, their unfairly high-damaging supers hit you and you're dead, leaving you sitting there just like:

Why.

Why? 

Just why? 

why why WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY!?!?!?!

*deep breath* okay...

but yeah. SNK bosses. Not fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

When you say frustrating moment, does that mean what the gameplay or the lack of one or does it also account for something inherently wrong with the story?

Magaki is barely Orochi tier so long as you have a King-style character.

Magaki is barely Orochi tier so long as you have a King-style character.

True. First time I got to him I had King and pretty much used Double Strike to hell and ended up winning somewhat easily. It's been awhile since I've played an older KOF game, so I can't quite recall how much problems I had with some of the previous bosses.

Day 11

Most Frustrating Moment

2183927-su_ps360_ending_zps946581b4.png

​Bullshit like this.

You know those moments where you're cruising along with the game, having a good time then suddenly, BAM.  There's a fucking toll gate blocking your path and they're demanding that you complete some meaningless quest, or find some useless shit in order for you to pass.

One thing some developers need to know right off the bat is that a longer game doesn't necessarily mean it's a better game.  Sonic Unleashed pulled this shit with the medal collecting, Darksiders II is literally nothing but this, The Legend of Zelda pulls this shit a lot too.  It's annoying to have all of your progress halted just to "collect 3 of this random irrelevant item", or to "find 30 of this", etc.  It's stupid, unnecessary, and a complete waste of time.

Will the game be shorter without this garbage?  Yes, but I'd prefer it if the developers invested their time into something that doesn't waste ours.

• Thumbs Up 6