Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 11: Most Frustrating Moment

fmjuqEJ.jpg?1

Deadpool's Final Boss

Since save corruption and not knowing where to go has been covered, I figured I'd go with something a little different. This happened pretty recently, like within the past month or two. So the fight itself is already pretty bad, basically just fighting all the bosses at the same time with a huge difficulty spike, but I'm not talking about that. After numerous tries, I finally got to the point where you're fighting all the Sinister clones. I think there's two or three waves of them, but I got through the first just fine, and I hit one of the momentum moves to take out two of the three in the second wave. Only when I hit the momentum move, I went through the floor. Now this wouldn't of been a problem had I fallen all the way out of the level as I would've just teleported back up, but I got stuck. I could walk around and attack, but I couldn't touch Sinister. I was beyond pissed and there was no way in hell I was starting that boss fight from the beginning again. Thankfully, after about 15 minutes of running around under the stage, I was able to fall through, teleport back, and defeat Sinister. If I wasn't able to do that, I probably wouldn't have touched the game again, at least for a few months because of how furious I would've been.

Momentarily got my internet back, hopefully I can at least catch up for now.

Day 10: Most Immersive Game

journey-game-screenshot-1-b.jpg

I literally can not stress enough just how amazing this game is. It looks drop-dead gorgeous, the music is wistfully ambient and melancholy and it's just bleeding with atmosphere. I remember distinctly watching my sister play the game for the first time, both of us just sitting there for about an hour or two, completely silent, just getting lost in the experience. Every playthrough of this game was a magical experience that literally leaves me without words each time.

Corrupt saves, definitely. The worst time was when my entire Gamecube memory card got corrupted and needed to be reformatted, which wiped all my data from Sonic Adventure 2 and Heroes, both games I had 100% on, and worst was SA2, not only all the emblems and A ranks gone, but also my Chao Garden, which I had spend WEEKS raising, and had multiple Chaos Chao. All gone. Back then didn't know what 'reformatting' was or what it did, so I did that and found out what happened, I don't think I could touch any of my games for months. I refused to accept that I'd have to start all over from the beginning if I wanted everything back. To this day I haven't gotten another Chaos Chao.

Day 11 - Most Frustrating Moment

Not corrupted save files. That's depressing, but it's the game's fault. It can't be helped.

Nothing like forgetting to save.

Pokemon is so precious that I know more than well to ALWAYS SAVE TWICE before I turn off a game, but not all games have that so ingrained in my head. It could be turning off the game without realizing I hadn't saved, or worse, not saving frequently enough and having something screw up somewhere - a power surge, a glitch, whatever it may be. It's one thing to turn on the game and see that, outside your control, it has been ruined. But the guilt weighing down on you as you ask, "Why didn't I just save earlier?" is heavy. So heavy, that for me it's impossible to just jump right back in and redo what's been lost. Having this misfortune always ends with me putting the game to the side for months or years before I work up the motivation to go back to it. It pretty much ruins a game for the time.

Dishonorable mention: playing Metroid: Other M for a million reasons I don't want to get into.

• Thumbs Up 6

A couple of people have said corrupted save files, so I'm going to go with something a little different but still along the same lines.

U7h4DFs.jpg

Game Breaking Glitches

Pictured: Actual screenshot from the game I'm going to talk about.

One of the most frustrating things is not being able to finish a game through no fault of your own, and I've stumbled across a couple of glitches that have put me into this situation. There's quite a few of these I could mention, but I'm just going to use the most recent time it happened to me as an example.

I played Dragon Age II before Origins and really enjoyed it, so was quite interested in checking out the original game as I'd heard it was a lot better. So picked up a cheap 360 version as soon as I was done with 2 and was quite excited to play it. So popped it into my Xbox as soon as I got home, and then... it happened... the dreaded game breaking glitch.

Had played the game for a couple of hours and then it started to freeze as soon as I entered a certain area that I had to pass through to continue the game. At first I thought it might have been a problem with my console or the disc, but everything else was working fine and the disc was in brand new condition. Tried restarting it a couple of times and the same thing happened every time I attempted to pass through the area, and after Googling the problem I found out it was quite a common issue. Tried a couple of the suggestions I came across on the official forums, but none of them worked for me (even after restarting and playing through it again to that point) and I ended up returning the disc as I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and figured I might have just had some bad luck with it.

Store had a pre-owned copy when I was returning it and I decided to just grab that while I was there rather than hunting around for a replacement... that one didn't work at all and crashed on the initial loading screen... but alright fair enough, it wasn't brand new and the disc had a couple of scratches, sometimes there's things happen. So back it went again.

A little while afterwards I picked it up again from GAME and this one seemed fine. The game launched and I managed to get past the area I'd got stuck at on my original copy. Hurrah third time lucky! So I sat down to play it and must have put a good 30-odd hours into the game... and then it remembered how much it hated me...

Reached an area of the game that is known for being quite buggy, although the particular glitch I ran into isn't one that I've heard of happening before. Was supposed to go through a door to get to the next area, and after defeating all the enemies right before reaching it I realised there didn't seem to be a door in the room anywhere. Wandered around for a while trying to find it and wondering if I had just managed to pass it and somehow not notice it, and after jiggling the camera around a little I spotted it... ... .. floating near the ceiling...

Yeaaaah. It was not supposed to be there and there was absolutely no way I could reach it, and there was no way to get to the next area other than going through that door.

Whilst I couldn't find anyone else who mentioned having the exact same problem as me, a couple of people did mention similar things and said that sometimes it can be a save problem and reloading an earlier save can work. Tried loading one from not too long before that and still had the same problem, and the only other solution was to delete my save and start the entire game from scratch. Wasn't going to risk wasting my time just in case I ended up spending another 30 hours playing it and ran into the same problem again, so the game is still just sat there uncompleted and I've never been able to get in further in it.

It's happened in some other games, but I think that was one of the more extreme cases considering how much time I had invested in the game and the fact that it was something I wanted to play so badly.

Might have to pick up the Steam version one of these days and keep fingers crossed that it's better behaved.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, just in case I didn't answer yesterday's question properly, I'm taking advantage of the make-up day;

And really, the first two Paper Mario games are still some of the most immersed I've ever been in a video game. You will not believe how many hours I lost in those games as a child, just exploring the worlds, talking to the colorful casts of NPCs, and fighting enemy after enemy, even long after I had beaten the games. Well, the original. I've yet to beat TTYD, but even still I find myself lost in it while playing.

And I can't believe that I completely neglected to give so much as a simple mention to the Pokemon and Animal Crossing franchise. I've had save files in the former that have more than pass 999.99 hours and don't get me started on all the hours I've lost in the latter. There's just something about them that sucks you in.

And as for today's question, you remember how in the least favorite level's question, I talked about two of the decidedly few bad levels of Yoshi's Island? Well, let me tell you a little story about them both.

So, one day, I decide that I was going to 100% this game, something I normally don't do with a video game. Now, in Yoshi's Island, there are secret levels that you can unlock by getting 100% on all stages in their respective worlds. I try to do this...

And little did I know that levels More Monkey Madness and Kamek's Revenge would represent the most frustrating experiences I've ever had with a video game.

I think it's the bullshit of both these levels that really makes them that bad for me. See, I've always found areas with a bunch of enemies in one place that shoot projectiles at you a form of rather cheap difficulty. When it's annoying to even do something as simple as moving forward in a level because you keep getting knocked around by foes, well, need I say more? And guess what two levels have a bunch of enemies in one place that freaking throw things at you? Yuuuup. And it doesn't help that in both instances, you are over a bottomless pit. Not to mention all the other bullshit those levels throw at you. More Monkey Madness with your Fly Guy with a red coin over a bottomless pit that will fly off after a few seconds and won't respawn... go to hell.

Also, I have to give an honorable mention to Mad Space in Sonic Adventure 2. I should not have to spend three damn hours looking for a single emerald shard.

Yeah.

Three hours.

On a single shard.

Do not ask me how the hell that happened.

081125.gif

Replace Pikachu with a Shiny Quilfish in Silver Version. Got its health down to Red and everything.

Ever since I always make sure I have at least 1 Pokeball.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a classic frustration for any collectathon fan;

Crash_Bandicoot_(PSX)_17.png[

When you're collecting stuff in a level and you're missing some of them after you think you're done

Ooh, does this ever get on my goat. I spend all that time looking around for items and stuff, checking and rechecking my tracks to make sure I've got everything, and then it turns out that you still missed some despite this because the game feels like being a dick or something. The worst is when there's just one left, so you think it should be easy to find. But nope, you spend forever playing and replaying the level only to find that it still cannot be found no matter how hard you look. All that aggravation, frustration and pain, all because there's...

just one left.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 10: Most Immersive Games

eccologo.png

sample_d0962c2dcb0da890aadef1825045148ea

2435204-sonic+unleashed.png

In order from top to bottom..

Ecco the Dolphin isn't a game I've played that terribly much, and I hate myself for it, buuut I watched a playthrough of the Sega CD version (you know.. the one that Spencer Nielsen did the OST for) and it was so engaging. There isn't too terribly much in variety that you do in the game, but it's that eerie vagueness to every step you take mixed with that dark, trippy atmosphere and musical style.. if I can say there's a game that masters the vulnerability of being an animal in a situation much bigger than you, this would be it. It's got that magic sense of wonder, and that chilling fear of the unknown.

Speaking of ocean-based games, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is so open ended and adventurous. You're set to ride in a ship around the known world and besides the winds that guide you, there's nothing really stopping you. You have things to do, objectives to take care of, and a task to fulfill, but you have all the time in the world to meet every person on every island, and explore. And that music when you sail. Wow. <3

And finally..

Sonic Unleashed / World Adventure is... well, it's a game that I've talked about too much on this forum, lol. It's got its rather big flaws and issues, but due to it's beautifully portrayed Pixarish take on the real world, it is actually pretty captivating. The sights are gorgeous, there's so much depth to things as simple as hub worlds and entrance stages, and the NPCs are so lovable. You can eat food here (and share it with Chip!), travel around searching for collectables / unlockables, doing side quests just for the fun of it, or be challenged to great obstacle courses. The amount of variety in the cultures this game covers is so wonderful, and it just oozes that worldly charm that's only emphasized by how lovable Sonic and co. are as characters.

There was a fourth game on this list (guess), but to be honest I've already said everything I could say about that one. Moving on!

//////////

(on another note)

RANDOM.

ENCOUNTER

- B A T T L E S -

So lets say you're running as fast as you can to get from point A to point B, or you could just be strolling along like today's just the grandest day and you wanna see all the wonderful scenery and colors around you..

And then suddenly.

Blindly running across a map and then BOOM that all up in your face and it's battle time (especially with battle mechanics that are turn-based, for example) is just really irritating, ESPECIALLY whenever you take about two steps after you're done with battle and it begins again.

m1_7.png

(I'm looking DEAD at you, Mother 1.)

In a perfect world, every RPG title would be banned of doing this kind of thing, or at least have it heavily minimized for better ways to make battle entrances. I can maybe get the reason of liking it for the element of surprise I guess, but other than that or silly nostalgia I really just can't stand that in any game. It's pretty annoying.

///////////////

11 Days Out For the Count

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 11: Most Frustrating Moments

Chocobo Racing (Final Fantasy X):

20140320223822!FFX_Chocobo_Racing_1.jpg

Seriously, fuck this minigame and the person who designed and programmed it. This minigame is was something for obtaining the Sun Sigil (A half piece for Tidus' ultimate weapon, the Caladbolg, you have to the Sun Crest to activate it first) and by getting it you must participate in a Chocobo training minigame. You have to complete all of the other sessions first before doing the final test where you have to do a Chocobo race with the Chocobo Trainer. All you have to do is race through the Calm Lands, collect the balloons and avoid the oncoming birds. Sounds easy enough right? Well... that's until you will discover the true horror of Chocobo Racing and the big kick in the nuts to that is that in order to obtain the Sun Sigil; you have to get a record of 0.00:00! ... No... I'm not kidding. In order to get 0:00:00, you have to collect a number of balloons (I would suggest 15 or above that can detract your time) and without getting hit by those birds once. THAT'S how you get the Sun Sigil! Dodging the birds and collecting the balloons is such a pain in the ass because your Chocobo will juke and jive whenever it feels like it and if you were close to getting a balloon and then suddenly you're Chocobo decides to juke in different direction completely missing it or running into the bird. It's sorta on rails but you still have some control, but oh my god it was so aggravating to control your Chocobo. Oh! And the fucking birds can blindside you, and the worst part about that is that they can fucking stun lock you. And they can do it again. And again. AND AGAIN. Back when I played the original version of Final Fantasy X; I seriously spent more than an hour on this damn minigame, it was such a torturous experience. I FINALLY got the 0:00:00 record and received my fucking Sun Sigil. I wiped away the blood tears in eyes and hoped to never look back it again... that is until the HD Remastered came out... Luckily that it took me much less time than my original run at it, but it was still frustrating as all hell.

Definintly deleted and corrupted data, I've had to unlock all the songs in ddr max 3 times because i kept corrupting the file, and to unlock the last song you have to play 600 songs or complete a 21 song ONI course.

And as for deleted files my nephew had managed to delete most of my DS games files, some more than once. Thankfully he's past that.

Getting lost can also be very frustrating, going back and forth and back and forth, than finally giving in and looking it up and finding out whatever I'm looking for is somewhere obvious I've been past a gajillon times.

Fighting game bosses like Abyss and Azazel are just plain annoying, with really cheap moves that are hard to dodge and block.

Making edits in ddr or simfiles in stepmania and then having the game shut off for who knows what reason and losing all that you've done. It's hard to remember exactly what notes you had where.

And one more thing, of which sonic is where it happens to me most, is having a really hard time on something I normally have no trouble with. It really frustrates me, especially when I manage to get past something I usually have a hard time on.

This is actually incredibly recent.

Day 11-Most Frustrating Moment

ibwt8RXLKgc1fw.jpg

One-On-One-Putt Challenge-Mario Golf: World Tour

Do you know what the definition of insanity is? So, you completed the 3 tournaments in Castle Club Mode but, you see there's one more course to unlock in the game. You revisit the Castle Club and meet a Lakitu that tells you about the final course, Sky Island. Unlocking it is a simple matter, getting at least a birdie on 9 holes in a row in a course that has winds that wildly screw up your ball's trajectory. Oh yeah, you also have to get that at least birdie by getting on the green in one shot. Yes, that's what you have to do to unlock the last course. If you mess up, you have to start again from hole 1. No Mulligans unless you're willing to pay Kamek 10,000 coins per mulligan.  It took me an entire day to do this challenge, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad if it didn't kick you out and have you talk to Lakitu to start it again, but you have to. He repeatedly gives you advice on things you already know and tries to be all Yoda by saying "There is no failure other than to no longer try". Well fuck you too, Lakitu. What's your reward for doing this? You unlock the course of course, but you get nothing else other than Lakitu challenging you to do it again, on EIGHTEEN holes this time. Yeah, no thanks.

Definitely has to go to losing my save data for Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. I was working on collecting all of the emblems, and I was down to the last few A ranks. I was working on getting the last A ranks for Tails and Eggman when my sisters decided to turn the game off while leaving the Chao Garden.

So after that catastrophe, I actually gave collecting all of the emblems another shot. Though not getting as many emblems as I did the first time, I was working my way toward that number again when I lost another save data. This time, my father shut off the system while it was in the middle of saving. At this point, I realized two things.

1) Always make a second save data. And a third. And maybe even a fourth.

2) I'm fated to never collect all of the emblems in Sonic Adventure 2. I guess I can partially attribute my dislike of the game towards not being able to 100% it.

The other one I want to mention is unreadable discs. The 360 was a big offender of this. If the console was moved even 1 inch, the game would be completely scratched. This happened to me on a few occasions, the worst being when I bought Rainbow Six Vegas 2. I didn't even get a minute into the game before it stopped working.

I actually find this question more confusing than the last one...are we talking in-game stuff or 4th wall stuff or stuff that happened IRL that affected our gameplay? @.@

This will be quick until I can find a stable connection, but I remember getting completely screwed by a save point in the first Ratchet and Clank. If you enter the final boss with not enough ammo to actually beat it, then tough shit- you're stuck there because there's a save point right before you enter the arena. No going back through the level to stock up or anything.

Combine this with the fact that I got to that point without a Memory Card and my dad turned off the PS2 to vacuum, and you can imagine my rage for the rest of the month.

Oh also for most immersive game, I'm gonna say Majora's Mask. I mean, good god is that land full of life! The characters, their lives, the emotion, the music, and even the visuals really make a impact on the player and make you actually interested and engaged. Really makes you not want to fail and have the moon crash on those people.

Oh and can I say for another frustrating moment, permanent disc scratches. You know, like the ones that occur when a console moves ever so slightly. I was so close at completing All Stars Racing 100%. So close! And then my little bro pushes the console back cause he thinks its gonna fall, and "ZZZZZ!". Circle of death. I had to wait months before I got a second copy.:/

Day 10: Most Immersive Game...

I do apologize... my work schedule has gotten me feeling wonky and my focus isn't good. So my most immersive game... I'd probably go with Disgaea Hour of Darkness. Why Disgaea? Because Disgaea is probably the first JRPG I ever played from NISA that literally had me feeling like "Yo... a few more minutes". This game had me up for 24 hours once I was so engrossed in it. I loved the characters, I loved the levels, the mechanics etc. I also guess you could say it was Disgea that turned me into a bit of an anime otaku addict. >.<

Day 11: Most Frustrating Moment.

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas... Zero Mission... #2, toy airplane mission... the mission taht made me nearly want to quit playing GTA San Andreas permanently. So you have to guide this little toy plane around and kill this guys bikers and drivers or whatever. Sounds easy enough, you think "oh this will be a breeze" and then it happens... The game loads... and you take control of the plane... and then you realize you have made a horrible mistake as the toy plane goes up in the air and crashes into a billion tiny little pieces. This mission led to a broken controller and a dent in my wall. I cannot express the amount of rage I had with this mission, because the controls were so AWFUL.

Up to you.

Now that I am warming up to the idea of doing long posts again(Look out Feminism topic, I got a doozy for you), here we go.

Most Frustrating Moment

tumblr_mlb223yUTI1s9flg6o1_500.jpg

This character right here. The character was fantastic, but the writing....UUURGH! 

Okay, you are in Columbia where you actually see the racism inherent in it. You have an option to actually commit a hate crime(No you don't but the press X to do it was cute). Columbia is a white people fantasy land built on the backs of minorities(which is not far from the truth when it comes to America). You get to throw rocks at an interracial couple. You watch as black people get tormented and are forced and hard labor. You see the struggle first fucking hand. You and the character you are controlling. You know what he says about Daisy Fitzroy?

"The only difference between Comstock and Fitzroy is how you spell the name"

tumblr_inline_mszbsoebhh1qhgs1h.gif

This ain't no fucking second grade "2 wrongs don't make a right" bullshit. Comstock is a fucking oppressor. Daisy is the oppressed black woman.  I understand the “underlying message” (hardly “underlying”, more like the “punch you in the mouth” message), and I was upset because that’s a very silly, very trite message when you consider the actual circumstances of these characters and their real-life referents. Comstock came from a position of political and social power and Daisy Fitzroy was essentially a house slave. Daisy never had “too much power”. She was leading an underground revolution on behalf of the poor and the racially oppressed. The narrative was constructed in a way that made anti-racist organisations and social justice movements seem like mad power-grabs that would eventually get bloodthirsty and destructive, and that’s a deep-seated fear only for those who benefit from colonialism and patriarchy. It has never panned out in real life this way. It’s the nightmare of people who say that feminism and the civil rights movement have gone “too far”.Calling them the same is fucking false equivalence. How the fuck are they the same? Sure, I could have just chopped it up to Booker being a white man who fought in America's most blatant war crime against an Indigenous people and being called a "hero" and I did, but the narrative of the game seemed to agree with Booker! Consider the game’s structure: you see Finkton, you see the poverty, the dehumanisation, you see the flipside of the wealthy elite from the start of the game and what that wealth and power is based on. You see the pressganged workers, the racial hatred, the joblessness. You storm Fink’s office with Vox allies, and then suddenly Elizabeth says “Comstock and Fitzroy deserve each other”. I wasn’t thinking that at all. Where did that even come from? Suddenly we’re told to hate Daisy Fitzroy, and to consider her actions on par with Comstock’s, and to kill her. We have no reason to think this up until the point where we meet her for the second time, and then in the course of three minutes all of Comstock’s propaganda suddenly rings true: she is a murderous savage and she must die. The writing was terrible. There was no reason for it to play out this way. And that is when I lost my shit!

See, Kevin Levine wanted the Vox Populi to resemble every revolution in history except of course the 12 Years War which brought cemented Capitalism. However, he missed a key component. He wanted to compare the Vox to the Russian Revolution or the French Revolution, and say that this is a historically accurate portrayal of those revolutions. Problem is that those revolutions consisted of mostly white people who weren't slaves while the Vox were mostly black and were led by a black woman. If he wanted to use black resistance towards white oppression, then he failed because it is a different story. It is inflammatory. If he wanted to be historically accurate, he should have not of compared the Vox to the cartoonishly over the top portrayals of Nat Turner's rebellion and then compare them to Columbia's very real racism. They could have had the Vox sabotage the lines of production, escape attempts from Columbia, theft, and etc. Instead, we get "truth is in the middle philosophy" as a white man decides just how racially oppressed minorities are allowed to revolt against their masters and if they go too far, a generic white dude will gun them down. This game turned to a white man's murderous romp in the city to fight off the mostly black characters who "gone too far" and fought back against their establishment. 

But what about Nat Turner's rebellion? Wouldn't have that worked? Well that was a case of 70 enslaved black men and women retaliating by using melee weapons to kill 60 white men, women and children. The militia rescued them against the darkies by killing 200 slaves. So that is not a good example for Levine to use as Columbia is very far from the reality at the time. And if any of you think that Daisy took it too far?

tumblr_inline_n33uheUEJn1s8x54y.gif

“The one thing people need to learn is that fear is the antidote to fear. I don’t want to be a part of their world. I don’t want to be a part of their culture, their politics, their people. The sun is setting on their world, and soon enough, all they gon’ see … is the dark.”-Daisy fucking Fitzroy. 

A character that was too good for Bioshock and Kevin to understand and get fucking right.

My most frustrating moment, huh? Well, SSMBers, better grab a seat, because Komodin’s gonna rant about something in Super Mario Sunshine again!

Secret_of_Casino_Delfino.png

Specifically, this moment from the fourth mission in Sirena Beach: The Secret of Casino Delfino. You see, this is one of those missions that leads to a secret, FLUDD-free stage. However, that’s not the frustrating moment here--that’s actually the easier stages in the game. What I’m gonna talk about is how you get to that secret stage. You see that screenshot above this passage? That panel board is part of the casino attractions that you need to complete in order to move on and get the Shine Sprite. Its preceding attractions, a pair of slot machines, are comparatively easy to solve--just get three 7’s for both slot machines and this panel puzzle will be revealed. That, however, is when things get really, REALLY dumb.

You see, you have to use the FLUDD to spray the sixteen panels so that they all flip over to reveal the picture of a Shine Sprite, therefore revealing the warp pipe to the secret stage. However, due to the way the panel’s hitboxes work, if just a single drop of water hit them, they’ll start flipping out--pun entirely intended-and end up randomly landing on a side. Also, due to the way the FLUDD itself works, when you try to hit one panel, you might accidentally fire one big spurt, landing three or four of them instead. Because of this weird quirk, trying to flip the center panels is the hardest part of this stupid puzzle. Keep in mind, also, that just because a panel land on the Shine Sprite side, doesn’t mean that it’ll actually stay on that side if you hit it with water again. Yes, that means that if you aren’t careful or are just unlucky, you could actually wind up undoing your progress and start from scratch!

You wanna know how long I spent on this one puzzle the very first time I went through this game? Over an hour! I kid you not, I spent that much time trying to solve this puzzle while dealing with the goofy water physics and overtly sensitive hitboxes, all the while making sure that I actually have enough water to keep doing it. I’ve had more trouble with this one part than I ever did with collecting the blue coins in Corona Mountain or even completing that Pianta Village mission with the Chucksters! You wanna know what’s the especially sad part? When I FINALLY completed the puzzle, I messed up on the secret stage and, because I was down to my very last life due to an earlier mission, I game-overed, meaning that, yes, I had to do the stage all over again! To say that I rage-quited after the fact would be an understatement--in fact, I didn’t even touch the game again for close to a year because of that nonsense! To this day, I still take about 10-15 minutes with that stupid puzzle...

...So! To put an end to this ranty shpiel: That panel puzzle is stupid, it SUCKS, and I HATE it. Bleh...

• Thumbs Up 9

Day 11:

Super Smash Bros Brawl: Boss Battle

This mode was pretty fun the first time trying it out, battling bosses we faced in Subspace and it was really easy........until I notice they can adjust the difficulty in this mode too. My god, intense mode really tested my skill, I really worked for it. From the start, I would use Sonic because he was fast and was able to get out of trouble so easily (Still is the easiest to use for this mode) and with others It wasn't possible for me to do except Sonic, but that was the early times of playing brawl. I gotten back to this game sometime in 2012, and thats when I started playing really good in the game, Going back to this mode in intense mode was abit easier.....with Sonic. I challenged myself to try out other characters in intense mode and holy shit was that a bad idea, some characters are not made for this shit. I'm not talking about Olimar, Ice climbers or Jiggly puff, I was able to complete it with them. (Trust, throwing pikmin does a lot of damage, except rayquaza) But some fighters like the whole starfox guys i'm horrible with in this mode. Their attacks were so weird and awkard fighting against the bosses, their attacks would always lead me getting hit from the boss. I usually just do air attacks because most of the air attacks are stronger and faster and a safe way to get ready to dodge the bosses attack, but not for these guys nope! Don't get me started with ganondorf..........I made it farther then the star fox crew......weird huh I reached Tabuu with Ganon. 

The mario crew I can do, kirby, Pokemon trainer, Mr. game & watch, Toon link. Even though I complete some of them, It took me forever to do it! So you battle 10 bosses in a row, in between you are in a rest area with three hearts (5 hearts when in 2p mode) and a pic of your next boss, it's randomized with Tabuu being the last always, your damage from one fight will carry over to the next fight. So it's more about trying to not take any damage until the end and avoid. Because once you use a heart, its gone. and you only get three. So getting perfect seem like the way to do it because taking a lot of damage from one boss fight is pretty much done for you. And it's worse that these sessions last for at least 10 minutes if you actually complete it on the first try. but if you die its game over and I've seen the game over screen too many fucking times. It always pissing me off not being able to finish any character once I get into playing it for a bit because you spent so many times retrying over and over again trying to get beat it with this character but nope, Game over.

Some bosses gets even FASTER once your getting close to Tabuu. I think at level 7 in intense mode you'll notice the speed has increase  but not all bosses increase their speed. But the ones you definitely do NOT want to face of after round 7 in intense mode are

Rayquaza.jpgGalleom.jpgboss_ridley1.jpg

Slow characters WILL have a hard time. This is were I cruise in these rounds when I'm Sonic or kirby.

modea15_080317awk05.jpg

Fuck this guy, He's always hard no matter what round you end up facing. But once you learn the tactic of hitting himself with rockets it's an easy boss, buuut Getting it right is a pain sometimes.

I've spent too many hours in this mode when I can easily be smashing for fun or for glory

Oopsie, missed a day due to reasons.  But apparently that's okeedokee because of other reasons.  So ONWARD.

Day 10 - Most Immersive Game

I'd pick Dark Souls but I'm tired of talking about how good it is, so here's something else.

James.jpg

Silent Hill 2

This is the darkest, scariest, and probably most mature game I've played.  The music, lighting, colors, and stories that go along with the town of Silent Hill in this experience are all absolutely gripping.  As I've stated before, the atmosphere of this game is absolutely nightmarish, and it makes every moment completely heart-pounding, even when nothing really urgent is happening.  It just puts me on edge constantly, and once the story starts getting more developed it actually manages to tug at the heartstrings quite a bit.  I applaud it for transcending the typical horror cliches and managing to be one of the most artistic, emotional experiences in the medium - and quite possibly the best piece of horror media I've ever experienced.

darksouls_610.jpg

Those parts you can't get past in Dark Souls/2

Yeah, I'm tired of praising this game, but I can sure as hell talk about how infuriating it can be!  Yup, Dark Souls is chock full of moments that have made me rage, whether it be a frustrating boss or an onslaught of multiple enemies that I just can't seem to take on.  It doesn't help that other players around the world can also fuck with you unexpectedly, and in my case in my current New Game Plus mode on DS1, cause ridiculously tough enemies to spawn and not leave until I vanquish the player's soul or something - which I still don't know how to approach.  Then there's incredibly bullshit moments in Dark Souls 2 like the part where dozens of statues shoot poison at you in a cramped walkway with monsters popping up from the ground and it's practically impossible to dodge everything.  Moments like these don't make me shout or flail around - these games are some of the few that get me "silent" angry.  As in I'll just sit there for a second and process how angry I am, then either stop or press on.  And occasionally let out an AVGN-esque "HOW THE FUCK AM I 'SPOSED TO DO THAT."

Day 11: Most frustrating moments

I've never had a corrupted save file, but I do know how it feels to lose data and progress through... other... means.

Honey, let him/her have a turn now!

Siblings. Relatives. Playmate's and their siblings. Whenever you hand a controller over to someone else's hands, you are giving them the means to destroy hundreds of hours worth of progress with just one unintentional push of the button. And there's nothing you can do about it. Mom said so, so that's the way it goes.

You turn your back, boom, your save file has been overwritten.

Take a bathroom break, click, your unsaved coaster has crashed due to a tree removal mistake.

Get a bite to eat, whammo, your disk has been permanently scratched.

I've lost so much progress to people younger than me, and while I do forgive them, as it's mostly unintentional on their part, it's still infuriating finding that your 50-year park in RCT has had it's reputation tarnished by time, all because a sibling never clicked the pause button.

Oh, and RPG games. Those with Random Battles, especially. Just... gah.

Day 11: Complete

My most frustrating moment, huh? Well, SSMBers, better grab a seat, because Komodin’s gonna rant about something in Super Mario Sunshine again!

Secret_of_Casino_Delfino.png

Specifically, this moment from the fourth mission in Sirena Beach: The Secret of Casino Delfino. You see, this is one of those missions that leads to a secret, FLUDD-free stage. However, that’s not the frustrating moment here--that’s actually the easier stages in the game. What I’m gonna talk about is how you get to that secret stage. You see that screenshot above this passage? That panel board is part of the casino attractions that you need to complete in order to move on and get the Shine Sprite. Its preceding attractions, a pair of slot machines, are comparatively easy to solve--just get three 7’s for both slot machines and this panel puzzle will be revealed. That, however, is when things get really, REALLY dumb.

You see, you have to use the FLUDD to spray the sixteen panels so that they all flip over to reveal the picture of a Shine Sprite, therefore revealing the warp pipe to the secret stage. However, due to the way the panel’s hitboxes work, if just a single drop of water hit them, they’ll start flipping out--pun entirely intended-and end up randomly landing on a side. Also, due to the way the FLUDD itself works, when you try to hit one panel, you might accidentally fire one big spurt, landing three or four of them instead. Because of this weird quirk, trying to flip the center panels is the hardest part of this stupid puzzle. Keep in mind, also, that just because a panel land on the Shine Sprite side, doesn’t mean that it’ll actually stay on that side if you hit it with water again. Yes, that means that if you aren’t careful or are just unlucky, you could actually wind up undoing your progress and start from scratch!

You wanna know how long I spent on this one puzzle the very first time I went through this game? Over an hour! I kid you not, I spent that much time trying to solve this puzzle while dealing with the goofy water physics and overtly sensitive hitboxes, all the while making sure that I actually have enough water to keep doing it. I’ve had more trouble with this one part than I ever did with collecting the blue coins in Corona Mountain or even completing that Pianta Village mission with the Chucksters! You wanna know what’s the especially sad part? When I FINALLY completed the puzzle, I messed up on the secret stage and, because I was down to my very last life due to an earlier mission, I game-overed, meaning that, yes, I had to do the stage all over again! To say that I rage-quited after the fact would be an understatement--in fact, I didn’t even touch the game again for close to a year because of that nonsense! To this day, I still take about 10-15 minutes with that stupid puzzle...

...So! To put an end to this ranty shpiel: That panel puzzle is stupid, it SUCKS, and I HATE it. Bleh...

Not to go out of topic here, but Komodin, you ever tried the shoulder-view with Y-button on the GC controller and just lightly tap the R button to spray a tiny bit of water? At best this puzzle took me 3 minutes the legit way, but never a hour. I hope this helps.

As for me joining in: 11th day of video games...Most frustrating moment?

Trying to get the Mr. Perfect achievement in Mega Man 9.

This might sound really bias, but I was never a Mega Man fanatic by any means, and I only tried out 9 out of some obligatory feel to finally give the series a chance, and while I honestly found the game really easy for the most part, and I can barely understand from my perspective why this series is hailed so much.

However, trying to get the Mr. Perfect achievement on it is a whole different story, and makes me view this game in a whole different light.

For those unfamiliar with the game, Mr. Perfect involves you clearing the game without getting hit once. 

'Sounds easy because you can just retry a stage if you die, right?'

Dr. Wily's Castle stages dare to punch you in your stomach for that matter, because those entire 4 stages of tough no-hit sequences are all in one go. If you get hit in stage 3, you gotta start over back from stage 1. It's the entire lack of a stage save function that make this so arduous and tedious to get, I finally got it after over roughly 50 tries. Yes, 50 DARN TRIES!

And I still wasn't satisfied in the long run...

• Thumbs Up 2

AT THE ELEVENTH HOUR

~ Why ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ~

yw7Q4EM.jpg

Day 11: Most Frustrating Moment

Moment Selected: The Blue Spiny Shell from the Mario Kart series

First Appearance: Mario Kart 64 (1996)

"Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

~Eric Cartman

One word is enough to sum this entry up. "Why?" Why am I being punished for doing well in a game?

For today, since I've already gone over bullshit escort missions on the Least Favourite Level day, I say that nothing screams "BULLSHIT!" more to me than that damned Spiny Shell from the Mario Kart games -- at least, from a software perspective and not a glitch or hardware perspective.

Case in point, you've been gunning relentlessly for 1st place -- you know, the position you need to get in order to win, right? You're playing at 150cc, difficulty has been amped up at its highest, and you've selected a notoriously difficult cup because, hey guess what, you need to succeed as flawlessly as possible here in order to unlock more goodies and/or advance into 100% this game.

After a couple of laps, you made it. You're now the leader of the pack, and all that's left is to cross that finish line... until you hear that familiar hissing sound closing in on you. Sometimes you'll hear an alarm, sometimes it's an incoming whooshing. Sometimes, it's both.

Oh no.

You try to outrun it, despite realizing your own futility. Just a little further ahead is the finish line, just out of reach, and yet so, so close!

Oh no no no nO NO NO N--FUCK!

And thus, any chance of victory you've had goes up in blue smoke.

All that effort into passing the finish line in first place? HAHA, LITERALLY EVERYONE JUST PASSED YOU, THERE GOES YOUR GOLD TROPHY, YOU WERE WASTING YOUR FUCKING TIME ON THIS CUP, HAVE FUN DOING THIS ENTIRE THING ALL OVER AGAIN.

YOU WERE WINNING BUT HEY, SCREW YOU ANYWAY.

mlnanq2.gif

who the hell thought this was a good idea gfdi

Dishonourable mentions go to receiving Critical Hits and Confusion in Pokémon, Commando Man's level in Mega Man 10, the previously discussed Least Favourite Level, and Dimps. You know what you did, Dimps (HOW THE FUCK DO YOU EVEN 2D CAMERA AND HOW WAS THAT EVEN JUSTIFIED).

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 11: Most a Frustrating Moment

Gears of War was one of the many reasons why I acquired an Xbox 360 about 5 years ago, as I really liked Epic Games' take on the 3rd person shooter genre. While I didn't explore much of Gears 1's online component, a good bunch of my online friends from a Spanish video game podcast community invited me to play Gears 2 and it was incredibly fun to take part in their matches. When Gears of War 3 came out around September 2011, I was really excited to pick the game up and keep on playing with them; I even renewed my Xbox Live Gold membership for a year just so I could play this game with them (God bless that £26 deal from Amazon!). Playing Gears of War 3 was a total blast with them. So, why is Gears of War 3 online component is listed as my most frustrating moment? Let's fast forward to six months after the game's release...

In six months time, I managed to complete almost three quarters of the game achievements, getting up to Level 65 Green, unlocking almost all the characters and getting all the Ribbons and about 75% of the Medals obtained with 15 Onyx medals out of 65 already attained (and about 10 more I had about to achieve soon). I poured hundreds of hours on both the single player campaign and the multiplayer modes with the infamous Insane difficulty level being completed in Horde and Beast modes and halfway done in 4-Player Campaign. At this point, I had covered a good chunk of progress, and I was determined to 100% complete Gears of War 3.

Until that fateful moment where, one day, I switched my console on to play on some more Gears 3 and then found out that all of my progress went back to this...

hqdefault.jpg

My Level 65 Green rank was reset back to Level 1. Alongside my rank, all the Ribbons I collected, all the Medals I had by then, all the characters I unlocked, and even all the progress done in Campaign, Horde and Beast (remember, the latter two being completed on Insane difficulty)... all those hundred of hours I spent on this game went down the drain.

Staring at the screen in utter shock, I couldn't help but burst into tears, I screamed 'No!' because I couldn't believe how could all my progress being reset. I decided to do some research and ended up finding the cause of this was due to a glitch in which your profile (stored online at Epic servers) gets corrupted. While a fairly rare occasion for such a glitch to occur, this takes into effect when either you're kicked out of a match at the wrong time, the console freezes while in play, or simply when the auto save feature gets cut while in progress. Because the data is overwritten automatically to the servers, once the profile is corrupted it cannot be brought back to normal. The most shocking thing is that, apparently, this glitch was present even in Gears of War 2; how in the hell nobody at Epic Games cared about fixing this glitch before the sequel was out!? >.< I expected better things from Epic especially when they have been on the online gaming scene for many years, so I was really disappointed when this shocking and disgraceful moment happened to me.

I felt really demotivated to play the game after all that happened, yet my friends encouraged me to keep on playing with them. Knowing I was just several months away before my Xbox Live Gold membership finished (which I haven't renewed since February 2013 and I don't plan on doing so for a long, long time), I returned back to playing the game. Throughout the summer holidays I managed to not only recover the progress I had before the reset but even triple the amount to the point of sitting my rank at Level 35 Blue, 4-Player Campaign, Horde and Beast 100% completed, attained all Ribbons and acquired 90% of the Medals unlocked (30 out of 65 of these being Onyx). In terms of Achievements, it's on 1900G out of 2000G; only one Achievement left, the infamous Seriously 3.0 (100% game completion - 100G).

To this day, I haven't returned to Gears 3; I grew tired of the game as I didn't have much time to pick it up due to University and my backlog of games constantly increased as well as my Xbox Live Gold not being renewed as contributing factors. The whole reset glitch was something I'll never ever forget since I felt that all the hours I poured into the game for the first time were in vain and I could have progressed even further than where's sitting now; truth be told, if it wasn't for my friends I wouldn't have ever thought about playing Gears 3 again. Hopefully the release of a new Gears on the Xbox One, this time under a different developer, will make me pick the franchise back and beat some Locust with my online pals.

(Posted from my iPad. I'll write up my introduction later as I've got to go to work!)

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a few for this one:

• Game-breaking Glitches - This happened to me in a few Halo games where I would phase through a wall randomly and a checkpoint would just happen to take place there, causing me to not be able to move or die instantly at each respawn. There would even be times where this would cause the whole game to freeze, forcing me to restart the console and potentially having to redo EVERYTHING that led up to that point.
  • Corrupted Save Files - This happens to me quite a bit, especially with Chao Garden saves on the Gamecube versions of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Half of the time I would load my Chao Gardens, it would either load or somehow get corrupted, blowing up all my hard work and chances of making that awesome Sonic or Shadow Chao. ;_; Because of this, I would have to make backups on other memory cards just in case.
  • THIS LEVEL IN SONIC LOST WORLD - Lava Mountain Zone 2
    d99bf1a2ea6b9a42a7d4447728de00a7cce261f8

Collecting all the Red Star Rings here (or even trying to just get through the level) was the most frustrating few hours I ever endured. I think it was the 4th Red Star Ring that gave me the most hassle and has costed me over 50 lives just to get it. If it weren't for those stupid bomb carts that instantly kill you upon touching them, then this stage wouldn't have been so bad. Instead, they are plastered throughout the stage, even on the circular rails RIGHT WHERE THE RED STAR RING IS. GAH! At least I finally managed to get them all eventually.

• Thumbs Up 2