Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day uh oh you missed a bunch 12 - Fondest """""""next-gen""""""" "experience"

I'm getting so tired of hearing the term "next-gen" by now that it seems almost insulting to use it to describe some of my favourite gen-defining games, but what the heck ever. Here we go.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Because a screenshot won't do my feelings justice.

Man, when I was a kid I could barely use the internet let alone watch trailers of upcoming games. Sometimes, if I was lucky, a VHS or CD-ROM would be included with a game magazine, and I collected them here and there, particularly from the few Nintendo or SEGA mags on store shelves at the time and some multiconsole mags too. One I remember the most was a VHS tape that came free with one issue of a Nintendo mag (thinking back, a VHS tape coming free with a magazine sure was weird) that had a bunch of trailers for the Gamecube long before the GC was released, and I used to watch it so. frickin. much.

And my absolute favourite moment was the video I posted above, that thing gave me shivers each and every time I watched it, and I don't think it's just the nostalgia talking. The whole way that intro is executed, the music, the showcasing of characters and worlds, just screams hype. It was an intro completely filled to the brim with references, action, really.. it had something that could make any Nintendo fan from that time smile in under 2 minutes.

And man when I actually bought the Gamecube, the wait for Melee was the longest couple-months of my life probably, and when the day finally came it was GLORIOUS. The game was pretty hard but it was GLORIOUS. I was so impressed by how everything looked too, I was impressed by Bowser looking so scaley, Link looking so bottom tier green, and Mario looking so.. orange. Well not everything impressed me, but almost everything did. The game was full of secrets too, compared to the original N64 game, all these stages, characters and music tracks I had never seen or heard of before totally spoiled me. Even today, nostalgia or not, Melee's opening is one of the best game openings of all time.

Because it is HYPE. CONDENSED. into a video.

Now.. if you don't mind, I'm going to go watch the SSB4 trailers over and over again 'til it comes out. [insert comedic-relief side character saying "some things never change!" - cast laughs, camera pans up, credits roll]

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 12 - Fondest Next Gen Experience

The Wii takes the cake with this one. I remember hearing about the awesomeness of the Wii when it first came out and how fascinating the technology is. I begged my parents to get me one and come summer of 2007, I posses a Wii. When I first fired up Wii Sports, I was honestly blown away. *plays Tennis* *swings arm to the left* "Holy blue cheese! Did he just- ?" *swings arm to the right* "Wha- How is it doing that?! This is so cool!" I remember how futuristic the motion controls seemed to me. I think it was the only time I was ever blown away by next gen technology. I was a bit impressed by Project Natal (early Kinect demo) but not as much as the Wii for whatever reason.Although looking back, they did make it seem like a cool topic. My friend was blown away, but me? Eh, not that much. So far nothing has topped the first time I ever experienced Wii motion controls.

Oh, actually, the Wii mentions reminded me - even though the demo I played on the Oculus Rift was really bare bones and primitive, the experience blew my mind. I wholeheartedly believe that there's a very prosperous future for VR, and I'm excited as hell to try everything with it.

SuperLink, I apologize in advance for what I'm about to say, but

VR is next gen as fuck yo

• Thumbs Up 1

kKKdM1a.jpg

Honestly, thinking about it a lot it's going to have to be inFAMOUS: Second Son for me. After playing previous open world and inFAMOUS games, seeing the visuals of this game for the first time in trailers was mindblowing - the lighting, textures, details, motion capture... the city felt so real for the size and scope. Going to the very top of a large building and looking over at the Seattle that the developers had digitally recreated was certainly a beautiful sight. Even if not all the elements of the game are astounding, the very fun gameplay and incredible visuals were what made me think "wow, this is next gen".

Other mentions:

• Pokemon Colosseum - having never owned a console from the GC/PS2/Xbox generation, seeing one of my favourite franchises come to life in full 3D was truly tantalising for child me and excited me a lot. I have fond memories of my first playthrough of it.
  • Wii Sports - purely for the gimmick and hype that surrounded it, first time I picked up a Wii and put in Wii Sports and had a game of baseball with my Wiimote as the bat was something that made me go "this is so cool, wow". Then my interest died an hour later, lawl.

To me a game that utilizes its generation well is one that invents new gameplay mechanics and more sophisticated styles with the new technology. In terms of that being a graphical step up, the first that came to my mind was playing Splinter Cell: Double Agent on the PS2, less because of the game itself and more for being the first PS2 game I played. I remember thinking, "These are the best graphics we will ever have!" Funny how that worked.

intro_following_joker.jpg

In terms of the experience itself, my first 7th gen game I played was Batman: Arkham Asylum, as I already mentioned in a previous day. I booted up the console, started the game and thought, "Is this a game or a movie?" And I don't speak just of the technical side: while the graphics were in fact impressive compared to what I had before, what really caught my eye were some gameplay elements like the slow opening credits sequence that happened as you controlled the character, the fluidity of combat and movement, the narrative presentation... it was all completely different, either in concept or in execution, to what I was experiencing in the PS2. A whole new world, deserving of being called the next generation.

• Thumbs Up 2

My favorite next-gen experience...

Having 4 controller ports on my N64.

It really sucked always only having 2 player games on my Genesis. I don't know about you guys, but I typically invited more than 1 person to my birthday parties, so it kind of sucked that only 2 people got to use the console at a time.

Then I got the N64. I never even imagined 4 players being possible, but Super Smash Bros, MArio Party 2, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, all the awesome multiplayer titles on the system were great.

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 12:

Going Brawl again.

Me joining in the Super Smash bros Series and learning more about other Nintendo characters.

SSBB_Boxart_PAL.jpg

When playing melee for the first at someone house I thought it was pretty fun, but all I know is to just fight. At the time I hardly knew any other characters in the except for mario characters, I only played like 4 matches and I only played as Mario. After that I didn't really cared about it afterwards. 

So when brawl was coming out I really got interested in it when I started seeing the commercials on tv and thats when it was getting close to being release. I got the game I think around the summer time and realized how much fun this game is. It was a fighting game I have missed out on for years. I really wanted to play the story mode because I mainly wanted to see Mario and Sonic battling it out in the cutscenes. When I saw the Sonic trailer, I notice his intro that he was in the forest so playing the story mode, I expected to see him when we were in the forest of jungle, maybe around the time when DK and Diddy showed up. But finding out he only comes at the end was disappointing.

So coming into this game see a shit load of characters I have never seen or barely recognize like zelda. No I mean Link lol, I was one of those who thought Link was Zelda. Instead of naming the ones I haven't seen before I just name the ones I know.

The whole Mario crew, Sonic, Kirby, the Pokemons except Lucario, Link and Kirby (Kirby show was good).

Starfox? Never heard of it.

Captain falcon? A pirate?

Snake? oh, just some soldier

Ike and Marth? Guys with swords

I had to mention Wario because it was my first time seeing him in that outfit, so that confused me abit.

But this game got me interested into the other characters, there was so much to learn about these characters, I remember I was going through each and every trophy in the game to learn more, it made me go search it up even more about them, what kinda games do they have.

It was a chance to learn more about these crazy guys, by beating the shit out of each other. lolSuper-Smash-Bros.-Brawl.jpeg

Even some i barely knew of like Link and Kirby.

I'm just starting to try out some of their games like Pikmin 3, and recently being the Pokemon series starting with Pokemon Y, and trying out Kirby in Kirby triple deluxe and I wouldn't mind trying out more like F-zero or Metroid.

I just hope I actually enjoy it though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guess I forgot to do yesterday's, I could have sworn I did it though since I was actively thinking of the following answer:

IaYa8Zi.png

The boss rush in Kirby Mass Attack is a goddamn pizza shit. Like with most Kirby games it's not exactly hard to beat. However there is an achievement in the game which involves getting a gold star on every level (don't get hit). So what do you get when you combine a boss rush with controlling ten Kirbies with nothing but the stylus? Pure, fucking, madness. No joke, this was unfathomably frustrating and I spent well over a week of obsessive playing to pull this off. Bosses' attacks are somewhat randomized, and there's the joy of having to face the above-pictured, brand new boss which is the hardest of them all, due you having to shoot your Kirbies with pixel-perfect accuracy between the gaps of his spinning spike shields. Whenever I screwed up at this portion, I gritted my teeth and replayed from the beginning, and the more I played, the more I fucked up at the earlier bosses due to getting really tired, and then I'd put the game down and try later that day. When I finally beat this god damned level, I nearly screamed.

How the fuck a Kirby game managed to come up with one of the hardest achievements known to man, I'll never fucking know. But what I do know is that I am never attempting this again.

As for favorite next gen experience:

7D2jqKG.jpg

The N64 (and PS1 in tandem, although I never grew up owning one) is really hard to beat. With every generation comes prettier graphics, faster loading times, larger games, and what have you, but this generation brought us an entirely new dimension in a more accessible, believable form than previous stuff such as Star Fox on the SNES. Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie were my gateway games, and they're two of my favorite games to this day both because of nostalgia and because they were so damn well-designed that the developers made sure that they would still be fun 15+ years later. Those two games definitely constitute as one of the most memorable gaming moments of my life.

Fondest Next-Gen Experience

For me it was my first PS3 game, Assassin's Creed (1).

Assassins-Creed-5.jpg

First time I played this game I was literally blown away by the graphics, gameplay mechanics and the open-world level design.

The first Assassin's Creed game was set in the Crusades. I was incredibly impressed by the next-gen graphics. I had never played a game with so much attention to detail. It felt like I was actually playing in an environment based around a thousand years ago.

I found the open-world design enchanting, complex and an absolute blast exploring every inch and cranny, which you need to do to complete the missions and find all the Templar flags. It impressed me at just how detailed the characters are in the game.

As for the gameplay, it feels pretty seamless as you run, jump and climb those buildings and enormous way-points. When you reach the top of a way-point the camera spins and you get to see just how beautiful the cities; Jerusalem, Acre, Damascus are from above.

AC1_Altair_Viewpoint_Damascus.png

The gameplay mechanics are designed quite well. White = your safe, yellow = Guards are suspicious, red = guards are trying to kill you etc. The freedom of being able to run and climb in any direction is incredibility fun, especially when you are running/trying to hide from Templars.

AC1 pushed the boundaries of next-gen tech, and it wasn't perfect. Quite often the game would freeze, forcing me to restarted by PS3. There were a lot of bugs which were ironed out in AC2.

AC1 is game which left me with a positive impression that I had made the right choice in buying a PS3, and that future games had the potential to be in-depth, with innovative gameplay mechanics, level design, and great music. 

I'm starting this round off with a personal request: I don't mean to nitpick and nag, but to everyone participating in this thread try not to change your username during this event and if you do, so please make a note of it! I am getting confused thinking that with seeing these changes, I think they are actually different members joining in and that causes me to incorrectly tally each member's participation.

Last night I got around to awarding the badges for the participants in the 30 Days of Sonic and it took me 4 hours do to so, mainly because I got hung up trying to figure out what some of you had changed your your usernames to between when the event started and it ended, as some of you drastically changed your usernames to where it took me forever to figure out who you were. So please, try not to complicate matters for me with something as minor as a name change and it's potential to cause problems, including you getting the wrong badge or not even getting a badge at all possibly. Thanks. smile.png Anyway...

Day 12: "Fondest Next Gen Experience":

Ankkmcd.png?1

I have to go with the when I got the PlayStation or PS1 back in 1995 (yes kids, the PS1 and fifth generation gaming was a thing! tongue.png). I was 11 years old and completely content with my older generation Super Nintendo as my SEGA Genesis was useless due to it catching a virus somehow, but my dad decided to bring a new console into the household and there was the PS1. I remember my siblings and I hooking it up as we were excited about having a new console and as soon as the start up screen came up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV2xx-d5ZwI

Those sound effects had a "movie surround sound" dynamic to it, and we were all very excited. Then there was this guy:

xKHJIPU.gif?1

There was definitely some good times to be had with Crash and his games on the PlayStation. It's a real shame it was so short lived. sad.png

• Thumbs Up 7

Day 12: Favorite Next-Gen Experience

uh

um

Smash?

Brawl Debut Trailer

I'm not really sure if I have anything to add to this day, because these sorts of things were never anything more than superficial to me. It was the game itself that wowed me rather than just the console's power, which I admit is pretty lucky for some of the games I've played. Brawl I guess sold me on the Wii where I wasn't really seeing any line-up being created. That's even a stretch as-is, but that's all I've got.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 12 - Fondest "Next Gen" Experience

Mmm...

Yeah, sorry, it's a Sonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPvLVg_qNfg

THAT'S A FRACKIN' VIDEO GAME????

Yes, well...remember, this was 2008 and I was twelve years old. So when the first trailers for Sonic Unleashed came out, I...honestly thought there was no way that could be what the actual game looked like. It looked light years beyond what our consoles were capable of even at the time, almost like some CGI-based tech demo to simulate what the game would be like. Even today, Sonic Unleashed hardly looks like a game from 2008. In many ways, it's still pretty impressive now. That is some good art direction.

...Okay, a non-Sonic one now, under the "new and exciting" category, though it's hardly "next gen".

88-Persona3-4-300.jpg

SOCIAL LINK SOCIAL LINK SOCIAL LINK SOCIAL LINK

Yeah, like I said, hardly next-gen. But it really, really impressed me. I was already aware that there were these things called "Social Links" going into Persona, and it had something to do with NPC's you could talk to and hang out with or something along those lines. Yeah.

So then this guy comes up to me and he's all "yo wanna be mah frienh"

And I'm all like "sure bro that's cool that's awesome"

FRIENDSHIP

And it was like...wow. It was so cool just to see this one guy's story unfold while also being able to choose what I could say to him. Yeah, I guess it was one of the sillier Social Links in P3, but it was also my first, and I really liked this guy. It really let me know I had stepped into a particularly impressive video game world.

This is probably the third time Persona has come up over the course of my posts in 30 Days. Rest assured, it's probably not going to be the last

8D

Anyway, think I can do one more.

The_Legend_of_Zelda_-_Ocarina_of_Time_3D

LOOK AT ALL THIS 3D SHIT WHAT IS THIS THAT'S HAPPENING TO MY EYEBALLS

No, seriously, the first time I played Ocarina of Time 3D, the 3D effect blew my mind. It really gave an illusion of depth - things didn't pop out, but it was more like you were looking at the game through a window, and that...was really cool somehow. It just sort of makes the game experience feel more...real-ish? I don't know what it is, but I still love the 3D effect, even after all this time, and the first time I fully experienced it was incredible.

• Thumbs Up 3

Gosh, I can barely remember any. I haven't had any fond memories of next gen stuff for a long time. I can only remember one at the moment, that  could describe as my fondest moment.

Day 12: Fondest Next Gen Experience

Dreamcast.jpg

It was brutal sitting through school on launch day, knowing that my brother has been out to get the Dreamcast. Sure enough it was there waiting for me when I was done learning jack sh*t.

143841_full.jpg

This is in danger of becoming another Sonic post, but the truth cannot be denied. I was super looking forward to playing Sonic Adventure. It brought so many new things to the franchise, like a more detailed story, speaking characters, 3D levels and multiple playable characters.

I remember a unique game that I may have played around launch time called Toy Commander.

toy-commander-500x208.jpg

You got to drive around a house in various toy vehicles, taking out enemy toys. I enjoyed flying the planes the most, not really bothering with the missions. Just exploring the house, occasionally crashing into things.

Sonic also makes a cameo in the game:

ToyCommanderMag.jpg

While I know for a fact that Sonic Adventure was a game we had at launch, I'm not sure about the others. I don't know when they came alone, but many franchises I follow, was introduced through the Dreamcast.

Here's the names of the games that would follow over the years, which I guess is the reason why I regard it so highly.

• Soulcalibur
  • Dead or Alive 2
  • Shenmue 1 & 2
  • Crazy Taxi 1 & 2
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Power Stone 1 & 2
  • Dynamite Cop
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
  • Chu Chu Rocket
  • Fighting Vipers 2
  • Virtua Fighter 3
  • Rush 2049
  • Thumbs Up 2

Bah, forgot about Day 11, oh well, I'll just keep it rolling with whatever days I can catch.

Day 12 - Fondest "Next Gen Experience"

Sonic_Adventure_screenshot.jpg

I think booting up Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast for the first time would be my fondest "next gen" experience. I was practically foaming at the mouth for months when the this game dropped (I didn't get it until Christmas that year) and I immediately went and set up the console and threw Sonic Adventure into the system. I'd played a little bit of it as a demo kiosk in either Toys R Us or KB Toys before, so while I knew what to expect, it was a whole different experience actually going into the story and running around the levels with my favorite characters. I was definitely blown away by the speed and the scale of the levels, as well as hearing everyone's voices for the first time (I switched a lot between JPN and ENG).

The funny thing is, at the time, I didn't know what a memory card was (I never heard the term before), so I had to play the game without one for a while until I realized "Oh, I need one of these things to save my game," and got one maybe a month or so later. Too bad it was a shitty third-party card (Mad Catz, I believe?) that would periodically just stop working until I got fed up and got myself an official VMU. It was really satisfying when I finally got to the Final Egg and defeated the Egg Viper... and have it save!

On a less nostalgia fueled note, I'd also want to give a nod to Super Mario 3D World. I hadn't played much of any HD games before, I think Sonic Generations PC whet my appetite for those graphics, but 3D World blew it out of the water. The visuals are gorgeous, and it amazed me how much time and thought really went into creating this sort of experience. Some of the stages in which it's raining had drops of water actually fall on the screen! And the sunset levels were something, too! The lighting in these stages is fantastic. I'm not a huge graphics guy, but I can certainly appreciate some gorgeous visuals really taking advantage of the hardware, and 3D World definitely delivers on that front (Wind Waker HD, as well, that was a really nice translation of the old "Celda" style--my only complaint being that it's a little too "hardlit" sometimes).

Day 12 - Fondest Next Gen Experience

It took me a while to actually think of something that "wowed" me since I was only thinking of graphics, but then I remembered, fucking online stores.

37wnwcS.png

I still remember how when I got a PS3 and only had one game to play. I played it and played it until I got kinda tired and then I said: Oh, how I wish I had anything else to play. Even a demo would be cool now.

And then something came up to my mind, this thing actually has a fucking online store! I "rushed" to the store and was greeted with a bunch of games, but more importantly since I had no money on my account, demos.

I downloaded all the shit available and played every single one, even the mediocre crap. As someone who was used to demo discs, this new feature was fucking amazing.

Nowadays it might be something normal and I usually don't even give three fucks about digital games that are also available as physical copies, but being able to buy anything from your house was something out of this world back then.

Day 12: Fondest "Next Gen" Experience

The only one I can think of, is seeing Pokemon Platinum in action for the first time. Mainly it's showcase of the Distortion World and all the crazy 3D effects and camera angles.

tornworld-up.png

It's not much, but back when my most recent Pokemon game was Sapphire, and most DS games at the time, to me, look mostly like prettied up 64 games, seeing these kinds of effects, especially in a Pokemon game, blew my mind. It really opened my eyes to what the DS was capable of. Games like Black and White and its sequels would blow this game out of the water with full 3D cutscenes, but Pllatinum, to me, is where Pokemon really broke out of the flat 2D plane and started feeling truly 3D.

Day 12

Fondest Next Gen Experience

Oblivion_LeavingtheSewer_zpsae00dfd9.jpg

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Leaving the Sewers/End of Tutorial

So imagine this.  It's 2006, I'm a bit new to the concept of an open world game, and my brother got his hands on Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for the Xbox 360.  After doing something else in another room as my brother played for awhile, it finally became that time, the time where my brother stopped playing it.  I immediately turn on the 360 and start playing whatever's in the console, which was Elder Scrolls IV, M rating be damned.  I go through the Sewer Tutorial easily enough, sneaking around everything and became best friends with the Bow and Arrow.  I get to the end and see this bright light... I go though the door, I'm asked if I wanted to change anything about my character... and then...

I was greeted with the above pic (well, I had a bow, but whatever).

"What do I do?"  I just stood there looking in every direction.  I remember having a map in the sewer, so maybe if I look at it now...

The_Elder_Scrolls_IV_Oblivion_Comlpete_M

n5172fe1248944_zpsb8b41a79.gif

I did the only thing I could do.  Took a few steps forward towards the ruins in the distance, and began on one of the biggest gaming journeys in my life.  The next gen truly was here.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've had a lot of console jumps in my time. NES to Mega Drive to Playstation, then mixing it up with PS2, Gamecube, Wii and PS3. Then there's also jumps from Commodore to Amiga to a Windows 95 P.C, before gradual home computer upgrades.

Quite often I think I take these next-gen shifts for granted, so there are only two I think that stand out.

My first experience with 3D gaming was 1997, with our first Windows machine. The game I wanted so much, that was such a huge change in my gaming landscape? FIFA 98, Road To Worls Cup.

From loading up that intro with Blur's "Song 2" blaring out, to the sheer breadth of teams and leagues available to play, to in-game commentary. It was a whole new world.

For the second, I'll have to echo Dr. Homem, as my first PS3 game was also Arkham Asylum. I was not impressed by having to wait 20 minutes to install, but everything after that was breathtaking, and I could not have asked for a better introduction to the console.

Day 12: Fondest "Next Gen" Experience

Well the build-up and hype surrounding the Wii when it was first revealed was definitely something. For years the idea that video games would one day be pure virtual reality was just always kinda accepted by everyone. Will that still one day happen? Is it even a good idea anymore? I don't know, but what I do know is that the Wii's motion controls looked like the first steps into that world and it felt like the future was here, like we were seeing a very important moment in gaming history that would represent the start of a new era. While everyone was giggling at console's name, very few people denied that the Wii remote looked awesome and truly revoutionary. It could pose as a real-world representation as ANYTHING. A sword, a gun, fists, lightsabers, baseball bats, bowling balls, golf clubs, it could mimic pretty much anything. It would be the best thing EVER.

Well, as we know, things didn't quite turn out that way. The console was obviously a financial success and there certainly were games that used motion controls very VERY well, but most of them just amounted to...well....this:

medium_loldrums.gif

But hey, motion controls was a neat idea and they certainly proved their worth, even if the concept did end up being more of a fad than anything else.

----

I also want to mention the first time I ever heard a fully voice acted game on a handheld console. Which, for me, was the Nintendo DS version of Ultimate Spider-Man. These days the idea is nothing impressive, but you have to understand, before the DS and PSP came along we were lucky to get highly grainy voice samples in a Game Boy Advance game. And I hadn't been expecting it at all, so it was a very pleasant surprise to turn the game on and be greeted with this cutscene here.

http://youtu.be/DYYDuVBKo-s?t=23s

As for me, it's a tie between

IDunno_zpsf095e2f2.png

When I first played a PlayStation (and Final Fantasy 7 was never translated in italian)

Exactly what it's said on the subtitle. Dad presented a PlayStation and two games (Fifa 97 and FF7), then other memorable gems (such as Crash Team Racing, Spyro 2, Driver and Broken Sword 2) arrived. And everyone in the family played with the console and had a fun time.

At that time I didn't know a single english word and even with the help of a strategic guide it was a pain to understand what was happening (to the point that I cheered when the pillar of Sector 7 crumbled, not knowing that hundreds of people were killed sad.png ) But still great great videogame memories.

and

bT5GC4sDEaq4hWHvnWmfesaj6L4kjGSm.jpg

When my eyes met the 3D effects of Ocarina of Time

I buyed a Nintendo 3DS and Ocarina of Time 3D some summers ago, and I was AMAZED. It was like living in the future.

Though it's hard (at least for me) to play and enjoy the 3D effects at the same time (because your eyes have to stay perfectly parallel to the screen...) I loved and still love the console.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 12-Fondest Next Gen Experience

Mario1.jpg

3D Environments with Full Analog Control, first experienced in Mario 64

The N64 was my first foray into the 3D gaming world, going from the Genesis. Nothing will ever compare to turning on Mario 64 for the first time and seeing that everything had indeed changed. No longer restricted to one plane, it was almost overwhelming by incredibly exciting at the same time. I spent my first few hours just messing around in the world rather than trying to get any stars, getting to go in all directions was significant enough for me.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 12: Fondest Next-Gen Experience

My first games console was a PS1, and my second was a Gamecube. Hence, it's time to grab that blue hedgehog...

968full-sonic-adventure-2%3A-battle-scre

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle blew my fucking mind, particularly with City Escape. The bright colours, the smooth graphics and framerate, the fast paced action - my first platformer was Monsters Inc. Scare Island, so this blew me away. Flying downhill on a snowboard through San Francisco, being hunted down by a huge truck, pulling off huge tricks by leaping off of ramps - it was unlike anything I'd ever played before. And this was just the first level - even the high quality vocal soundtrack blew me away, and soon enough I knew it by heart.

Seriously, at the time, I was in awe at this game. Wonder and awe.

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 12: Fondest "Next Gen Experience"

ZHCNpZA.gif

PS3 Start-up

I wasn't sure what to go with for this one, but the first time my brother turned on his PS3 seemed like a decent pick. Hearing that booming sound and seeing that smooth wave move across the screen for the first time just stuck with me for some reason. It reminded me of a movie starting, like the THX logo or something, and when you popped in a game, it looked like you were watching a movie. Its probably the first time I found myself thinking, "look at how far we've come," in reference to video games.

Day 12: Fondest Next Gen Experience

xbox-live-logo.png
Back in 2008 I wasn't into gaming as much as I am today. By that I mean I had no idea about the huge power gap from the Wii to the 360/PS3. I mainly stuck with my Nintendo Wii and PS2. Back then I hadn't even payed the slightest attention to Microsoft or whatever they were doing. I was mainly a Nintendo/Sony guy.  But then Sonic Unleashed came out, and I bought it and had beaten it..........on the Wii.

Few weeks later I see people talk about the 3D Hub World, these weird levels like Empire City that wasn't in the version I had played. Little investigation and I see that the Wii version was an incredibly lackluster version of the game, to say the least. These new amazing things were only in the 360/PS3 version of Sonic Unleashed. Being the Sonic fanboy I was, I had to play the "superior" version. With the PS3's price still well up in the $400-$500 range, I bought the 360. Long story short, I played Unleashed 360 anddddd....it was alright? But we're not here to talk about that, nah, we're here to talk about the next gen experience baby.

So I bought a console, just to play one Sonic game....what next? Well I decided to look up some exclusives, something, I couldn't let this go to waste right? And then in February 2009, I bought the greatest god damn game in existence Halo 3.  I heard little about the game, outside of the fact that it was the hot new thing on the 360. When I made an XBL account back in January, they had given me a free 30 day trial of XBL, but I never used it because  I had no reason to use XBL. But I heard the multiplayer for this game was the best part about it, so I activated the trial, jumped right into multiplayer, and Holy. Shit.

That first fucking night. That entire night. That was one of my favorite nights when it comes to gaming. I stayed up from 9pm all the way till the fucking sun rose up playing that fucking game. The fact that I could actually talk with other people online, play with them, it was like a foreign language to me. I was always a console user, and up until then multiplayer went as far as inviting some friends over to play a quick game of who gives a fuck. Making friends with these people who were in another state/country, talking to them about random stuff that happened throughout your day, making it seem like they were actually someone you've known for years, when you've only just met them a few hours ago.

The way Xbox Live worked, it's functionality and party system. (Oh godddd, the party system.  I've spent over hundreds and hundreds of hours just waiting on the dashboard while talking to friends.) Not only was it my fondest next gen experience, it was also one of my favorite gaming moments. I will never forget that night, It introduced me to a whole new world. My XBL Gold has long since expired last year, but $60 be damned, I will always love Xbox Live.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 12: Fondest "Next Gen Experience"

I'm gonna go with when I first played Super Mario 3D Land. Yeah yeah I know I've picked Mario stuff quite a few times, man I'm sorry but I couldn't resist.

W3aulDx.png

I was hyped for this game from the moment it was announced, its combining of the 2D and 3D formulas of the Mario series was just so cool to me, and man a new full-fledged 3D Mario for on the go was just so exciting too. The day I got it was when I knew for sure getting a 3DS when I did was really worth it. Its use of 3D effect was just nifty, it gave you either a feeling of depth, or if you wanted to switch it with the D-Pad, made everything pop out brilliantly. Soon enough I got so used to the precision the 3D gave you, that man it doesn't feel right to play this game without it. It just used the 3D in a way that the likes of Steel Diver, Pilotwings Resort, and ect. just couldn't compare to. And man I just don't know, but for some reason it just felt right from the moment the first level started, and that catchy overworld theme started playing. It instantly became not only my favorite 3DS game, but my favorite Mario game in general. 3D World may have topped it in my eyes, but 3D Land will always hold a special place for what it did for me. So yeah, there ya go.

• Thumbs Up 1