Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 1: Most Nostalgic Game~!

It's time to show off what a young'un I am!

180px-Zelda_and_Link-Stained_Glass.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Here is the very first game I played in my most favorite series of all time, and man I don't think there's a thing about this game I don't know like the back of my hand. Here was a world that felt truly alive, even as stylized as it was; most kids had playgrounds, I had The Great Sea. I had played other games before, sure, but Wind Waker beat them all out by giving me the love for games I carry with me to this day. Here was a medium where I didn't only hear of adventure, I lived it. Add to that a stellar soundtrack, striking visuals, and just darn fun gameplay, and you have one of the few games that can still send me back in time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 1: Most Nostalgic Game

Our journey through the 30 Days of Video Games (kudos for bringing up this new event, Discoid!) commences with a trip to nostalgia! Video games have been on the entertainment scene for several decades with hundreds of thousands of games being released and different generations of gamers established. With these elements in mind it's prone for many millions of people who grew up with video games to have different titles that brought them the best moments during their childhood.

On a personal note, I could mention dozens of games that I fondly remember from my early years of video gaming. I could mention many Nintendo games such as Super Metroid, Kirby's Super Star, Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow or Gold/Silver/Crystal, A Link To The Past, the Donkey Kong Country trilogy or the first three installments in the Super Mario Bros series; I could mention plenty of Sega games such as Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage 1, 2 & 3, Rocket Knight Adventures, Dynamite Headdy or the entire Sonic The Hedgehog classic series; I could mention a good amount of Playstation games such as Ape Escape, PaRappa The Rapper, MediEvil, or the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro The Dragon classic trilogies; or even PC games such as Jazz Jackrabbit, Lemmings or Worms 1, 2 & Armageddon just to name a few. All those games and many more I could list would have been well deserved of this spot, but I am gonna say that my most nostalgic game is...

Super_mario_world_box.jpg

Super Mario World

While I was a happy Mega Drive user at the time I always wanted to play with the Super Nintendo after enjoying all three Super Mario Bros games released on the NES from my cousins. Luckily, my brothers had friends who could easily swap consoles whenever they wanted to play Nintendo games, and one day they brought a Super Nintendo with several games such as A Link To The Past, Donkey Kong Country, Secret of Mana and Super Mario World. The latter was the one that first caught my attention: a Super Mario game that would blow my mind just as much as its past three installments. And for being my very first game on the Super Nintendo it was the best possible way I could have ever started!

While graphics and sound wise was something I could already expect being better after enjoying Super Mario Bros 3, what caught my attention was the vast world of Dinosaur Land ready to be explored throughout 96 levels full of platforming goodness. From the easy going Donut Plains and the dark caves of Vanilla Dome to the mysterious and complex Forest of Illusion, the game was packed with so many secrets to discover inside the levels, new power-ups such as the Cape Feather and a cute new companion named Yoshi which would make the journey of the Mario Brothers so incredibly fun.

With all that said, Super Mario World really does live up to its name: an enormous platformer that truly remains as an authentic timeless classic, as much that even to this day I keep revisiting whenever I get the chance. =)

• Thumbs Up 2

• This isn't actually a rule that will be enforced, but merely a suggestion. We're all Sonic fans here, but if possible, try to avoid using Sonic as your answer. We all already know about our favorite Sonic games and moments, so it'd be a lot more fun to get some new and unique perspectives on different games that we may not be as knowledgeable about. If you really can't think of anything else, that's fine, but it'd be nice if we could have as little Sonic stuff as possible. If you really want to talk about Sonic, then feel free. We'd like as many people as possible to take part, so don't feel like you can't if you don't have any other games to talk about.

I totally misread this originally. I thought mentioning Sonic wasn't allowed at all and seeing that the majority of video games that I play are actually Sonic games, I was going to fight you and tell you to get someone else to do the badge work for you. I was kidding, of course. At least with the badge part anyway wink.png

• EDIT. NEW RULE -  If for whatever reason stuff happens in your personal life that prevents you from posting, please contact me or Kiah and let us know ahead of time. As in, if we are currently on Day 5 and you know you'll be unable to post on Days 6 and 7, contact me early and you can later include them on Day 8. You'll only be excused if you contact us ahead of time, so if you just forget to post then there's nothing to be done.

This was perfectly said the first time around but I just want to reemphasize this rule right here. Please do not hesitate to contact Discoid or myself in case some real life stuff gets in the way preventing you from submitting a post on time and please do immediately. We both understand that things come up in life that tends to be out of our control and we don't want that to be held against you in your quest to obtain one of these awesome badges. So please, if something comes up, let either one of us know right away so we can excuse it and also so I can make the appropriate notes with my tallying for badge-issuing purposes so as to be sure to award you the correct badge at the end of the event.

Anyway...

Day 1: Most Nostalgic Video Game

Sonic 1 is my answer first and foremost, but there are other non-Sonic games that I definitely have a lot of nostalgia for, with this one being at the top:

CW6pYQc.jpg?1

When I wasn't playing any of the collection of Sonic games that I had at the time, I was indulging in this beauty of a video game, Donkey Kong Country back in 1994-1995. The graphics blew me away at the time and they still look great to me some nearly 20 years later. The gameplay was fun and I fondly remember enjoying playing the game as Diddy, who was more faster and agile, compared to Donkey Kong and doing things such as swimming, swinging off vines, shooting out of barrel canons, riding mine carts and discovering those hidden rooms full of goodies such as extra life balloons. I was very adamant about finding and collecting all the golden letters to spell K-O-N-G for each level. I loved how animated both Donkey and Diddy were throughout the game and I liked the other Kongs too, especially Cranky. I loved all of the animal buddies and I had a blast going through the levels with them and the soundtrack for this game was absolutely amazing. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwN_Dpsdnuw

I have no idea why this game is no longer available on the Virtual Console, but I really wish Donkey Kong Country was available again as this game was an amazing part of my childhood and I would really love to be able to play this game again. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 4

Pokemon Sapphire Version

250px-Sapphire_EN_boxart.jpg

I feel like I have a bunch of nostalgic games to me, and definitely ones older than this, but Pokemon Sapphire version in particular has always been like "my" Pokemon game.

I got Sapphire in a pretty good point in my life, after my dad divorced his first remarry that me and my brother weren't fond of since it's start, and this was kinda our "I'm sorry boys" present from our dad, along with Gameboy Advance SPs. My bro got Ruby and I got Sapphire. This was some time after we were out of Pokemon, largely due to our adolescence around the real big Pokemon "boom" of cards, Yellow versions, Silver/Gold, etc, we got in trouble and were kinda banned from it in the house along with my stepbrothers at the time. Long story, but back to Sapphire, it felt really good and new to get back into Pokemon, especially with an installment like this.

This kinda marked my only Pokemon game where I didn't have internet, and I was old enough to comprehend stats and held items, and all that jazz, so figuring everything out myself and the like with my handful of new favorites (I seriously think Gen 3 has my most favs), was really fun and timeless. Fighting your dad in game felt intense, finding where rarer Pokemon reside (wtf Bagon and your little room in the back of that moon cave area), and fully figuring out that the Regis puzzle was fucking Braile after staring at it for weeks literally was the biggest mind blow I had in video gaming. You can't comprehend what it felt like back then manually deciphering each letter for each cave thing.

When I was all said and done with the game, I managed to get my hands on an Action Replay, the first time I ever had a cheat device in my life, and that put a whole 'nother dimension on the game for me. Making Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon pop up, seeing legendaries in game I never had before, and even just overloading it slightly to mess with the game a bit was the best.

Sadly my GBA SP was lost many years ago, and I actually didn't manage to get another GBA of any kind until a few weeks ago (another SP, one of those dual brightness kind), so I've been really amped up on playing it one more time for old time's sake. The battery inside the cart is dead, but berries are for babies anyway *shot*

So yeah, Sapphire is my most nostalgic game of all time.

DAY ONE: MOST NOSTALGIC GAME

SSX_Tricky.jpg

This wasn't my first game, and it wasn't on my first console. But SWEET LORDY JEEBUS this game will always be my jam, and it will always send those nostalgia chills.

I remember loading up the game and seeing the opening (as posted above) and thinking.. "woah, can you even DO those things in real life?!". Of course you can't, but man, to humor the thought that headspinning, doing the worm, breakdancing and even spinning a board around your neck through the air could happen in real life was something I loved doing.

I played this game non-stop, mastering the incredibly difficult stages and the gameplay's learning curve, and I rocked the FUNK out to the music and crazy environments. I remember thinking all the characters were so dang cool and funny (Psymon all the way babby), and I loved seeing the "Making Of.." clip at the beginning as well as reading the character bios, learning all the tricks and unlocking all the gear.

Any time I think about this game I'm automatically in the mood to play, and honestly I think this game out of all of them is what launched me into wanting to design games. I always had cool new ideas for racetracks, or new characters, or even new tricks. 

It may be a bit dated now (SSX2012 plays superior to it in every way), but Tricky is a gem and a half and there's been no games since in the series that have been as funky. And I'll always cherish it. <3

Runner-ups: Super Smash Bros. Melee, Pokemon Snap, Kirby 64, Ocarina of Time

- Day One is DONE -

• Thumbs Up 3

DAY 1: THE NUMBER ONE MOST NOSTALGIC GAME IN THE HISTORY OF YOUR LIFE

HERE IT COMES

HERE IT COMES

OH SHIT HERE IT COMES

RETURN OF THE KING, BABY

Okay, okay, so. There are probably a bunch of other games I could've put down here. Pokemon Stadium, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Super Smash Bros., Luigi's Mansion, Kirby Air Ride, Super Mario 64, Spyro, Pokemon Emerald... they all come to my mind.

But, I'd be lying if Super Smash Bros. Melee wasn't the DEFINITIVE multiplayer experience of my childhood. Nothing could ever come close to matching the nostalgia I feel for this game. Every time I watch that intro, I get chills. CHILLS, MAN. I've sunk HUNDREDS of hours into this game, despite never owning it until a friend gave me his copy. I'd play it at my friends' houses, I'd play it at my cousin's house. If we wanted to play a game, Melee was definitely it. I've never played a game that has come close to the high-octane action and thrills this game's given me. Hopefully Smash 4 can hit that sweet spot once more.

• Thumbs Up 7

Digimon_Rumble_Arena.jpg

Digimon Rumble AREENAAAAAA!

The PS1 was probably the video game system I spent most of my gaming hours. Crash 1 to 3, Team Racing, Bash, Spyro 1 to 3, Croc, Tomba, Gran Turismo, Tony Hawk 1 to 4, Vigilante 8, the list goes on and on... but the games that carries most nostalgia for me, are the ones I could play with my friends, and Digimon Rumble Arena was certainly the most played of them all.

I must say, this is Bandai's perfect response to Nintendo's Smash Brothers. The fighting system is simple and easy to get, yet solid and open for creative attacks and combinations. Each arena has an especific and very interesting hazard, like the Factory level with the trapdoor floor. My favorite and main was Agumon. What I can never forget about this game, is the awesome feeling of smacking your opponent with Wargreymon's Terra Force attack. SO GOOD.

The musicin this game was also great, always setting the mood for an intense battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFyvDPMuuhA

To conclude, my close seconds are:

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

Dragon Ball GT Final Bout

Marvel vs Capcom

and Crash Team Racing

You know, it's kind of weird.  I can barely remember anything from the first 30 Days of Gaming.

So watch everything I say contradict everything I said then.

Day One

Most Nostalgic Video Game

flat550x550075fu1_zpsd32c35ac.jpg

Kingdom Hearts

Kingdom Hearts and I have a weird history.  During the PS2/Xbox/GC era, I only ever had a Gamecube, so I had to rely on my cousin and his PS2 in order to play this.  One summer he left the PS2 and a few games at my grandma's house, and you bet your ass I went over there almost every day to play some Kingdom Hearts and eat some cookies.  Action RPG's at the time were completely foreign to me, so it was like a whole new world of games suddenly opened up for me to explore; combine that with all the Disney characters I know and love (so me reminiscing about this game is like... double nostalgia or something) and we have ourselves a winner.  New and exciting, but familiar enough to make me feel welcome; it was the perfect balance at the time.

Hell, it's still a pretty good balance.  To this day Kingdom Hearts still remains a joy to play even if its overall presentation isn't quite up to par with the last generation (we are calling the PS3/360/Wii last generation right?).  Playing Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and having all those childhood memories flow back to me was quite the experience, and actually having the game live up to those memories is even better.

Most Nostalgic (Non-Sonic) Games, eh? Hmm. I believe I've got two, since I can't choose.

First, I present to you what is quite possibly the first 3D game I ever played:

Crash_Bandicoot_3_Warped_Original_Box_Ar

Oh yeah, Crash Bandicoot Warped. I remember I was a little thing, and I loved Sonic more than anything else. My favorite was Sonic 3, and nothing could ever compare to it. My mom kept trying to get me to play this because, since I loved Sonic so much, I ought to love this, too. I used to have zero interest in this, mainly because, at the time, I thought this goofy bandicoot looked dumb up next to the cool blue hedgehog. One day, though, I guess I just got a little bored of playing the same old things, so I finally tried playing this on our PS1. I fell in love. Everything about this game was so perfect, it rivaled Sonic 3 in quality, and I believe it still holds up to this day. Great level design, fun bosses, awesome level themes, nice challenge and tons of replay value thanks to the gems and relics made this a real joy to play, and I think this may be the very best Crash Bandicoot game even now. I really ought to get this on PlayStation Store.

The second game would have to be:

Jak_and_Daxter_-_The_Precursor_Legacy_Co

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, my first PS2 game besides Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog. If Crash Warped was great, this game completely blew it out of the water. While as a young'n the forced orb and power cell collecting greatly annoyed me, I still loved this game. It had the best visuals of any game I'd ever played up to that point, and they're still breathtaking even today, the characters were all quirky and likeable, especially Daxter, and the worlds were huge and seemingly never ending. This game is what got me into the Jak series, one of my favorite series of all time. I've probably replayed this game and the other Jak games more times than I have any Sonic game (except perhaps Sonic 3 and Knuckles).

Day 1 - Most Nostalgic Game

My most nostalgic game, huh...

Supermarioland2logo.jpg

Yeah, it's this game. It wasn't the first game I've played--that's Super Mario World--but it's pretty much the Mario game that I put the most time in. I got this along with a Game Boy Pocket for my 6th birthday and it pretty much defined 2D Mario for me. Although it played like a portable version of Super Mario World, completed with the powerful Spin Jump, just... everything about was so un-Mariolike to me. From its Gulliver's Travels like Macro Zone to the sheer coolness of the Mario mech in the Mario Zone, the sheer oddity of everything just kept me hooked. What also helped was that if you lost all your lives here, you pretty much had to start over from the beginning. I wasn't too good at video games at the time, but I always challenged myself to get as far into the game as possible. The furthest I ever got was the second floor of Mario's Castle, with the Wario's Fist thwomp-like things that always vanquished me. Incidentally, because of this, my first exposure to Wario was actually in Mario Party, a couple years afterwards.

What I remember most about it was going through the Pumpkin Zone and its unique take on the typical Ghost House tropes. Between the umbrella demons, the disembodied tails, and the Boo Goombas in the haunted schoolhouse, I was honestly spooked. Comparatively, though, the boss herself--a typical witch--was a piece of cake. To this day, though, I regret never having made it to Wario and kicked his portly patoot out of my castle...

Day #1

182091.jpg

The first game that I have ever completed 100%. Collected every orb, gem, and got that fire blast power up. And for kicks, it let you restart the game with the fire blast power up so you were this super powerful little purple dragon that kicked all the bosses asses. I enjoyed everything about this game and it saddens me with what happened to the series after Insomniac left the series. Oh well.

Digimon Rumble AREENAAAAAA!

... Great minds think alike I see.

So yeah, totally going to get in on this. Don't exactly remember why I didn't before...

Day 1: My Most Nostalgic (omg my childhood) emotion, flashback inducing Game

Digimon_Rumble_Arena.jpg

Oh, Digimon. I... never actually watched the TV show nor really followed the series but this game got me close to doing so multiple times (would of actually did it if I wasn't like 5 at the time with a short attention span and all). My time with the original PlayStation is clouded for me to this day. Half of me thinks I didn't have many actual games for it while the other side remembers me playing multiple titles on it (Ape Escape, Spiderman, Scooby Doo, those weird demo disc, ect.) though this is a game I can clearly remember.

I would always have two of my closest friends over at the time and just spend hours in my room playing this. I didn't actually have anyway to save my games at the time so we actually had to start from the beginning each time we played. Though, I don't think it mattered much since we would usually only get to the first unlockable character fight. I remember us jumping in victory when one of us was actually able to defeat him and then quickly call it quits on trying to go for the others XD. We use to play it during block parties, 4th of July, just whenever we could really. Another odd thing about this game is that I never actually had a main, I would constantly switch characters no matter what. Must of been because of my lack of knowledge of the actual characters and universe surrounding it.

While I still can't clearly remember what the hell I was on about back then (seriously, I don't think I made it past the third level in any game I owned) I do remember the immense pleasure this brought me instantly.

Pokemon_Platinum.png

this is one of the first games I play before Sonic. this game really make like like Pokemon and get me to the show on TV. I lovve the musics in this game and the missions you play to. I love how I can name my rival anything I want (i name him "ばか”) and all the pokemon i can find. this game have so much replay stuff. the poffins and the contests were the best in this game. the victory road and battle the elete 4 and the champion was also a fun chellgne to. in short this is my first game and it still have a feel for me.

Most nostalgic game? Oh boy that's a hard one. I have a lot of games that make me nostalgic and give me powerful memories whenever I just think about them,

This time I think I'll say...

Halo2-cover.png

"What? You chose HeyLowTuu? GoldenLink64 you filthy casua-" Shut up I like shooters. tongue.png Halo 2 was my first entry into the Halo franchise and my first Xbox Original game I played so naturally I have some sentimental value from it.

I remember playing for the first time, having come off of the N64 and GameCube, it was strange and unfamiliar experience. The set pieces were big and spectacular. It really made the game feel like it was trying its best to create a grand experience. Not to mention the music too, it was soooo fitting and memorable, Halo 2 (or just the first 3 games in general) wouldn't be the same without it. I still listen to 2's OST (my favorite) today and it really makes me want to go through the entire campaign again someday.

While I preferred Perfect Dark for its superior design during the time (There's still no Halo game with DeathMatch Bots to this day, and it's 2014 now... seriously?), me and my friends would play Split-Screen DeathMatch and switch between both games every single Friday.

Really, we were doing that every single week of Middle and High School and celebrating the weekend off with Pizza too, it became a tradition between all of us. Sadly all my friends I used to do that with are either gone or out of driving distance. Still though, I will always remember the memories of us playing together and them swearing because I actually can totally stick people with grenades and snipe consistently in Halo 2 and they can't. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

There are a good two dozen games I could fit in this. Growing up I had parents who loved to play games, so I had a Sega with a good 40 titles to choose from whenever I wanted. I even used "Sega" as a synonym for "games." I even feel nostalgia for thoroughly horrible Simpsons games that I not only hated to play but continue to hate to this day; simply because of the memories I have playing them when I was little (and watching my mom and dad play them when I was really little). To say nothing of those games that I continue to play this day on that system; held onto for all this time; with OutRun 2019 and Bubsy being damn close to the pinnacle, likely eclipsing any Sonic game if I was to truly hash it out.

And it is with that in mind that I nominate this instead:

Need_for_Speed_III.jpg

After a few years trying in vain to convince ourselves that a Saturn was worth the $400 we spent on it in mid-1995, we finally buckled down and bought a PSX in late 1998. This coincided with us purchasing an RV to continue our yearly trips to Florida in supposedly relative comfort. Those first few years were fraught with expensive repairs, food poisoning, cat escape attempts, having the power go out once due to an execution, a kite catching on fire, dad's car falling off the little dolly in the middle of Baltimore and (once) nearly fatal carbon monoxide poisoning. And lots of PSX playing. We had 4 games when we first bought the system. Intellivision Classics Collection (I do still love Night Stalker), Grand Theft Auto, our first Playstation Underground disc, and Need for Speed III. My friend in elementary school also had the PC version of Hot Pursuit; which was really cool when I was little but ultimately inferior in my eyes having revisited it since. We played it a lot together at the time, though.

Me and my dad would play the last one for hours at a time. It was... hard to describe how much fun those nights in the Winter of 1998 would be, as they bled over into around New Year's of 1999. That was truly the last time my parents really played games. They got back into it in a minor capacity since the Wii came out, but it's different now. I'm not the only child, and beyond that it just doesn't seem the same. Wii Sports Resort is fun, but it's also gimmicky. There aren't a lot of things I wouldn't give up to experience that together time again, and it being a good 15 years since I truly did anything of that nature with anyone in my family is most likely a major part in why I'm such a completely antisocial person.

Hot Pursuit meant a lot to me then, and it continues to now. It can be directly attributed towards turning a casual liking of cars into a dedicated love of them; with the amount of care the game had towards it's extremely well produced showcase segments and slideshows. The game was a clear love letter towards what the development team was doing, and I always find time to play it to this day. I bought a PSP for no other reason than to put CFW on it so I could play it on the move. Suffice to say, I was devastated when it ended up being a game that never worked properly on the system; as the fantastic music simply never was compatible with it. And of course when I finally wrapped my head around emulators on my tablet, that was the first game booted up.

When I bought my PS3, it was the first game I played on it; even though I already owned a PS2 and PSX and had been playing it somewhat regularly. Ditto when I started upgrading the components in my room; from testing the Dolby sound mix the game in my room on my new (circa-2009) receiver to setting up the color levels and the like for two televisions. It's menu music soundtrack (along with the delightful soundtrack R4 had) always manages to make its way into any current-ish racing game I'm playing that offers custom soundtrack support; with the actual race music not too far behind. I've put no doubt hundreds of hours into this admittedly quite basic racing game from the late 90s. It's not as ambitious as R4 or GT2, two games I acquired soon after that I also love the complete shit out of; but it never wanted to be. Nor does it have the production values of the later games in the Need for Speed series that I also loved to death, including Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit II and Underground 2.

But what it does have is a sense of honesty about what it is. Honesty, huge sentimental value, and a fuckload of fun. I have a personal attachment to every car in the game. I've had the disc professionally resurfaced twice in the past 15 years. I've replaced the jewel case at least 4 times. The game has outlasted 2 PSXs, 3 PS2s, 6 PSPs, 2 XPS laptops, and a PS3. I've played it on anything that I've ever owned that was possible (legitimately or not) of playing PSX games. And I will never get rid of it.

DSC_0044.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 1: Most Nostalgic Game Ever

2logo.jpg

Now I know the rules say to try to branch away from mentioning Sonic, but I can't help but list Sonic 2 as my most nostalgic game ever in my childhood. It was the very first game I played and the SEGA Genesis being the first console I owned. I would always play alongside with my brother as he controlled Tails. We would spend hours in the Special Stages trying to collect all the rings in hopes to have enough to get the chaos emeralds. I would laugh seeing him get blown up by the bombs in those special stages while I continued on for the win. I even remember spending a lot of time in the Casino levels playing around on the pinball machines and bouncing on those bumpers at the bottom what we thought looked like hamburgers XD. 

The music in the game was the best and at times I would take my time in each zone just enjoying the music. When Sonic 4 was released and it brought back the half-pipe special stages, it really felt nostalgic. :)

• Thumbs Up 3

Typically my choice would go to the first Sonic Adventure.  When I tried thinking of another non-Sonic game, I realized it was really hard to come up with one, since I had a pretty big game library compared to most kids around me and I didn't just give my attention to one.  My choice probably isn't THE most nostalgic to me, but I'm picking this one because the more I think about it, the more it encapsulates a lot of aspects that can make games such a wondrous experience for a kid.

Rayman_2_hero.jpg?57efa4

Rayman 2: The Great Escape is a game that really pulls me in with its atmosphere.  As a kid it was particularly engaging, but that sense of wonder extends to even now.  Back when I was first starting gaming I was used to stuff like classic Mario and Sonic, basic action platformers that may or may not have thrown in a tiny bit of story every now and then.  With this game, I felt like I was being sucked in to a big adventure with twists and turns, fun characters, grand music, and intoxicating settings.  It really seemed like I was a part of a Disney (and a tiny bit Tim Burton-ish) movie.  Everything about it was just so engaging, and for the most part, it still is.

It doesn't just have "World 1-1," or "Map 17 - This Time There's 9 Skeleton Monsters," - it has memorable locations like the Woods of Light, the Fairy Glade, and of course, the Cave of Bad Dreams.  The world is just so inviting and makes me want to be part of the adventure, even when the settings are gloomy and volatile.  Has it aged?  Yes, a bit, but overall it's an amazing experience for a kid to go through, and to this day it still enchants me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I have a few I like to look back on.

First, this one is one I'm pretty sure was my first. If it isn't, however, it's definitely among them.

Super-mario-world-box.jpg

This was the first Mario game I played. It's brilliantly designed, and quite colorful. The platforming's top-notch and the alternate paths are a neat touch...what can I say that hasn't already been said?

Another childhood favorite of mine was this...

1136919487-00.jpg

I never played the original DKC until sometime later, so this one was the first DKC game I played, and wow, what a great first impression! Even after I finally got to play the original, I saw this as my favorite, and even now, it's tied with and DKC: Returns as may favorite in the series.

Yet another one I loved was this.

BanjoBox.jpg

Same stuff, I loved it, brilliantly designed and such. I love the graphics even today, and the game itself is just brimming with imagination, as far as I'm concerned. Too bad the series ended with Nuts & Bolts, which, while not bad, wasn't what I hoped it would be.

Someone might kill me for this, but this is a more recent one I tend to look back on fondly.

300px-Guitar_Hero_logo.svg.png

I always found it to be an enjoyable rhythm game series, and I can still have fun with it despite the fact that it's not popular anymore.

It's funny, really. I wasn't interested at first, but then I played it at a Wal-Mart, and once I figured out the controls, man, was I having fun, enough that I got the first game as a birthday present. I played many later entries, which were also fun, and they manage to hold up pretty well in my eyes. Helps that many of the songs were classic rock songs. This game helped form some memories with friends of mine, even playing in a Guitar Hero tournament! Man, I miss those days...

Day 1: Most Nostalgic Game Ever

3267.jpg

This game was such a staple of my early child hood. I can just remember staying up in the early hours of the morning just making lots of theme parks and roller coasters. I loved how easy it is to make everything and build lots of structures. There weren't a lot of scenarios, but I played with the scenario editor so much it didn't really matter. My favourite coaster was the LIM Launched Coaster as it didn't needed any chain lifts and it could be very adaptable. I can make it into a shuttle loop or a giant roller coaster. I've wasted so much time on this one it isn't even funny.

• Thumbs Up 3

There's a ton of games that have nostalgic value for me. Such games like Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Smash Bros 64. Toy Story 2, etc, but since I'm in a Spidey mood I think I'll post this one.

256px-Smboxpsx.jpg

Spider-Man on the N64/PS1/DC (yeah, there's a Dreamcast version. Who'd a guess?) otherwise referred to as Spider-Man 2000. It was also probably my first introduction to Spider-man.

Never played it? Remember those shitty indoor levels from The Amazing Spider-man 1 video game? Yeah well imagine those, but GOOD. And entirely different. The closest we've ever gotten to another game like this and it's sequel is Shattered Dimensions. But that's aside the point.

This was based off of the 94 animated series I believe, and it's also very faithful to the comics. For awhile I remember playing this almost every time I turned on the N64. Speaking of the N64, it didn't have the Playstation's cutscenes. It provided everything in comic book form, which was actually pretty cool and innovative of them.

My nostalgia boner for this game is as hard as the Sewer level where you had to find The Lizard. It introduced me to the Spider-man universe. Even without the nostalgia I think this game was simply amazing for the charm it had. It's a good game with alot of heart.

I even remember most, if not ALL of the lines from the game.

"I can't believe they shot down those police choppers!"
"Yeah just my luck! I'l probably get blamed for that too!....Is that the bank ahead?"
"Yes but BE careful Spider. I saw the chopper dropping off armed robbers on top of the bank."
"....Thanks for the heads up Cat."
WHOOOOOOOOOSHHH

lol what a loser^

And let's not forget Monster Ock.

I don't even know if I should post a pic of him up here, it might frighten all the little ones and cause some complaints from the Mothers against Monster Ock board.

Let me tell you this. As a 6/7 year old kid, if you didn't have any nightmares about Monster Ock chasing you and yelling "DIE! DIIIEE! DIEE!" while making that awful screeching noise he does, then your childhood was infinitely superior to mine.

I love Spider-Man 2000. It's aged, but I'm glad to still find everything so enjoyable and fun just as I remembered it from all those years back.

0.jpg

Yyyup. Daredevil playing poker. Yyyyup.
Game's still a 10/10 just for that.

• Thumbs Up 8

DAWN OF THE FIRST DAY

~ Nostalgia Island: Super Rose-Tinted Nostalgia Goggles Advance ~

Super_Mario_Advance_3_Box_Art.jpg

Day 1/30 - Most Nostalgic Game

Game Selected: Yoshi's Island

-a.k.a. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3

Platforms:

-Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1995)

-Game Boy Advance (Remake, 2002 -- Version owned)

-Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console (Ambassador Program; GBA ver., 2011)

-Wii U VC (GBA ver., 2014)

"Huh?? Hmm?!!? Mmmmm!!!!?! What kind of gween donkey is dat? Looks wyke fun! Me wanna ri-ide!!! MINE!! MINE!!!"

~Baby Bowser

Back when I was a wee little Vizlet, the most exposure I had to gaming was through friends and family who were fortunate/lenient enough to get some Nintendo hardware into their households.

By the time I turned eight, I finally acquired my own Game Boy Advance (later exchanged for an SP), and I can hardly remember even putting the system down. Hours -- and I mean entire days at a time -- were spent on the likes of Super Mario Advance, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, and Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2, the latter of which being fuelled through nostalgia I had at the time from playing the original Super Mario World at my grandparents', in order to unlock each and every single little thing I can get. All the extra levels, all the secrets, all the alternate exits, everythingImagine how much I freaked out when I unlocked the Super Mario Kart tracks in the GBA game though

I was debating on selecting Super Mario World to kick things off for the 30 Days Round II, what with how much I've invested in this game sentimentally when I was a kid, but instead, I'm going for Yoshi's Island, specifically for the feelings the game made me experience that the other games I mentioned did not provide.

I was adamant on getting my hands on this game because, hey, I already own Advance 1 and 2, so why shouldn't I get 3, right? It only made sense!

And holy hell, was I in for a treat.

Now, what made this game stand out above the rest as a kid were the freaking boss battles. I mean of course, the soundtrack was amazing and the gameplay was pretty new to me as it wasn't the traditional Mario platformer I expected, but what sold this game in the end were the unconventional (and super fun!) bosses, for not only the different methods and strategies that set each of them apart well, but also for how expressive they (and in turn, Yoshi) are.

I mean, who could forget their first encounter with Burt the Bashful? Your first boss fight ends with Yoshi basically having knocked the boss's pants off, and the overgrown Burt would turn red out of embarrassment -- then fly all over the screen like a balloon untied and free before exploding. Be honest, as a kid, you thought he was farting. And you found it hilarious.

Another favourite is Prince Froggy (no, no, not that one)! Up until that point, Kamek usually turned the end level baddie into a humongous version of itself, but this time, it is Yoshi who is subjected to his magic. This caught me by surprise because everything I assumed about the game until now had been turned on its head -- Yoshi is shrunk down to size and is then eaten by the boss. Instead of fighting him as you would expect, you now have to lob giant eggs at Froggy's uvula until you throw his digestive system out of whack... and the result?

I just laughed at Yoshi's misfortune and at how clearly aghast he looked because that was most definitely not a Warp Pipe you exited from.

Raphael the Raven is another standout. The one thing keeping you from World 6, Baby Bowser's turf, is a giant raven who rams into you with enough force to send you to the moon. AND YOU FIGHT THAT BAG OF FEATHERS ON THE MOON. And the screen keeps turning and turning and turning...

Then of course, the final boss, Baby Bowser. I'll just sum this one up as "oh shit oh shit oh shit oHS HIT SOH HTSI SHIT HSIT HSTI SHTI SHIT SHIT FUCK FUCK FUCKFUCK FUCK FUCK SCREAMING GO AWAY LEAVE ME ALONE AAAAAAAAAAAAAA ;;;A;;; [/TURNS SYSTEM OFF AND THROWS CONTROLLER/GBA AWAY PANICKING TBH]".

Of course, I could gush about every boss in Yoshi's Island, but I think I've said more than enough. I'll just let this conveniently arranged video say the rest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnrC7LqI4XQ

Now then...

wHY COULDN'T YOSHI'S NEW ISLAND BE AS GOOD A GAME GFDI THIS IS SO UNFAIR WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME

• Thumbs Up 5

Hu3kTr3.jpg

It might be Kirby 64. I pick this because it was the game that defined what now is my favorite game series, much like how Sonic 3D Blast on the PC did with Sonic. I have a hard time remembering if it was this or Kirby's Dream Land that was my first Kirby game, the latter which I borrowed from a friend in middle school. Despite it being one of the easier games in the series, it was a tough challenge for me as a kid, especially with having to find most of those shards.

Really though, it's a toss up between this and Paper Mario. TTYD is better in every way but I had a lot of fond memories of renting PM64 over and over from the video store trying to beat it. ...Then again, some asswipe kept deleting my save for no reason despite there being three other blank slots, so I guess they weren't that fond. But one day I got lucky and rented it twice in a row, found my progress intact, and powered through the rest of the game in a short weekend. A few years ago, I snagged a complete copy of the game off eBay right before it got pretty rare, and it's one of my most prized games.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 1

Most nostalgic game, huh? Well, for me, that's an easy one:

Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

Predictably, Super Mario 64. The game that started my undying love for the Mario series.

Now, I don't remember much about when I was little. I don't even remember which game was my first one. But this is actually one of the very few games I still have fond memories of when I first played it. To be honest, I was near-dangerously addicted to this game. I can't even count how many times I 100%'d it when I was little. I liked it so much that I even started imitating Mario around the house! Thankfully, my parents didn't capture any of that on tape.

I know a lot of people are starting to feel that this game hasn't aged gracefully, but I dunno. There's something about the open-ended level design and rapid-fire mission structure this game has that keeps me coming back to it every-so-often to this very day. I love this game LOTS, and it's tied with SMG2 as my favorite game of all time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yyyup. Daredevil playing poker. Yyyyup.

"You've been looking at my cards all night!"

I love this game :lol:

Also it's not based on any specific TV series, it's pretty much an amalgamation of Spider-Man TAS and Spider-Man: Unlimited.

I picked the game too ;)