Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 14: Favourite Story

ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch-comb

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Ni no Kuni has a very charming story with a lot of plot twists I was not expecting and fun and very interesting characters.

Oliver himself in particularly is quite the far cry from a lot of other RPG protagonists. He lacks courage, confidence, and would rather not go out on a grand adventure like a lot of other RPG protagonists would. In fact, the reason why he set off on this adventure was quite selfish, but understandable.

The entire story revolves around him pretty much and you get to see him develop from the timid boy who pretty much had a breakdown after a certain incident at the beginning of the game, to a strong, confident boy near the end. Looking at this game's story from the bigger picture, in a nutshell, it's pretty much about depression and how you can overcome it, and it really makes you give a damn about him.

Later on in the game, Oliver gets the ability to mend broken hearts. A broken heart is a heart that lacks a certain emotion. Over the course of the game you'll be using these powers to help out his friend who constantly blames himself over the happening of a certain incident, a mother and daughter suffering from the hands of an abusive father, and many more problems. It really adds a lot of life to the game, and it also begs the question to why Oliver wants to help all these people in the first place. Maybe he's just a damn good boy, or maybe he wants to help other people's problems so that he can forget about his own, maybe both...who knows. It adds some more complexity to the protagonist and that's always a good thing.

Overall, I loved the story, the characters and the game has a protagonist that may not seem interesting at all at first glance, but surprisingly is.

• Thumbs Up 2

Trust me to go for a slightly obscure choice.

460-burning-rangers-1-kycon.jpg

BURNING RANGERS

INTO NEW SKIES WE FLY

BURNING RANGERS

aaaand so forth

Burning Rangers is a fantastic game on the Saturn, one of the better ones I've played - and that's despite the fact I can't use the voice navigation system the game revolves around, since my copy's Japanese! 

The game's story certainly is unique - firefighters in space and whatnot - but the thing is the story's not actually some comprehensive "tug at the heartstrings" thing. Hell, it's almost exactly like Sonic Adventure 2, complete with it ending with a space station hurtling towards Earth.

Basically from what I could gather from the limited info on this game and playing through it, the Burning Rangers are firefighters in space. That's pretty clear. Later on though, the story takes a darker turn - when it turns out there's a girl on an abandoned space colony with a supposedly incurable disease, (holy shit, Maria is that you) placed into a coma of some sort until a cure is found by her father or something. 

...then the cure is found, and the space station hurtles towards Earth with the girl onboard, to 'get to' the cure. Something like that, again there's only so much I can interpret.

Still, there are some genuinely heartwarming and moving moments throughout the game - that's not why I like it though.

As far as game stories go, it's nothing overly serious or anything - it's pretty simple really, which I'd wager is down to Burning Rangers being a very short game. But hell - that's the way I like it. I look at a game for it's gameplay, not its story. Seriously, if we got a new Sonic game of Sonic Adventure's quality (perhaps a bit more fine tuned), the story could be complete bobbins, and I wouldn't care. Good game first, good story second. 

But yeah. Burning Rangers is simple, yet also interesting at some points, and keeps you going through the game to find out what happens quite well, I reckon.

• Thumbs Up 2

TWD_Season_2_black_logo.png

An absolute highlight of a game from last year, The Walking Dead was something else. For me, it was an experience into the power of what video games can provide emotionally in the story department. The incredible writing, characters and situations you're pushed into are some of the most difficult things I've had to do in video games, and it's as simply as a point and click. Lee is a guy with a dark past with a fresh start to do better, and as the player you can mould this character into the kind of person you want him to be. Every character you interact with within your group looks up to you like the leader, and you see them for what they are - flawed, desperate to survive, and feel so very real. Your personal input to everything really invests you more than any normal video game can.

But the absolute highlight of this entire saga even leading into Season 2 is Clementine. A young girl you find hiding in her treehouse, as Lee you can't help to defend Clem like a father. As time goes on, you learn about one another and form a relationship unrivalled in video game storytelling. You teach her to be strong, defend herself, be more confident, handle a gun... so when the end of Season 1 comes and your bonds with the characters are put to the test, you fight the clock to save Clem just one more time.

This all accumulates in a small locked off building, after Clem finally finds her parents she's been looking for, and is about to lose another. And you have to ask her to kill you or not...

...and that's the first time (and so far, the only time) I've ever cried at a video game. I won't discuss Season 2 in detail for spoilers, but the storytelling is just as powerful and captivating, not disappointing in the slightest.

Other mentions:

THE LAST OF US - I could get complaints for this, but I haven't actually played The Last of Us. Instead I opted to view the entire thing as a movie upon its release, and goddamn was it a good story. Not flawless, but probably one of the most enjoyable I've gone through in video games. I love a good zombie end of the world story and though The Last of Us plays off the simple and honestly basic ideas of it (cannibals, suicide, self sacrifice) but it's pulled if with such good writing, strong characters and memorable sequences to go alongside it to support it.

What shines primarily in this story however is Ellie's character. A young girl subject to the horrors of the world, much like in The Walking Dead, however she is on the opposite end to Clementine. She's strong, she's unconventional, she's mature and she's resourceful. Learning about Ellie and her story and watching her progressing personal development independently alongside her building connection to Joel is probably the highlight of the story. This is only further cemented by her extended backstory which plays out in Left Behind. It's strong and wonderfully played out stuff, and is worth a view if not purchasing the game itself, which I'm planning to.

THE WOLF AMONG US - another story based game from Telltale, so you know exactly what you can expect. Strong, rich, three dimensional characters with difficult moral choices. The Wolf Among Us also boasts a continually interesting murder story which slowly unravels new levels of interest which keeps you engaged constantly. I can't love it as much as The Walking Dead, but it's also in top class of story telling. The visuals are pretty sweet too, boasting the comic book feel from TWD but with a cool lighting style that makes everything feel like a stylised crime thriller from days gone by.

• Thumbs Up 4

I've just checked, and last time I said Grim Fandango. I'll talk about a different game this time, but it bears repeating - Grim Fandango has a brilliant plot.

This year, I'll sing the praises of Beyond Good And Evil.

Just being safe.

So, we start off with this weird Alien planet, meet our heroine Jade who's running some kind of orphanage, and one day she's asked to do some kind of mission.

This leads to Jade discovering of a huge government conspiracy, and we get to learn more details just as Jade does, in such an organic way that really helps us connect to Jade and her world. We have the heartbreak of Uncle Pey'j being captured, and the elation of discovering he's still alive (and actually been in the resistance for a lot longer than we could have guessed). All the while the details of this conspiracy become more and more shocking, and Jade is slowly exposing everything by means of stealth and journalistic exposés.

In the end, Jade leads a whole revolution and manages to rescue her Uncle...though that damn post credits scene...argh I need the sequel and I need it now dammit.

• Thumbs Up 2

My favourite story is Metal Gear Solid.

In a previous post I complained about games that try to prioritize story, but Metal Gear Solid and most of its successors are an exception to this for me. Right from the main menu, there is a ton of optional briefing before the main game, and it really helps with the game's experience.

The game itself has fine gameplay that I don't believe has aged as much as people like to claim, and it doesn't feel like you're being interrupted when cutscenes play because the story is just that good.

The Sniper Wolf death scene

makes me cry every time. It might just be the music. The music is fantastic and it fits the story very well. I realize the game is pretty cheesy but it just adds to the game's overall charm.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think everybody who knows me and has read most of my posts in this thread knows what's coming.

8c289b1a519009686246a57ee36597c2.png

"Strange. Funny. Heartrending." ~the game's tagline

If I had to describe Mother 3's story overall, it'd be "a rollercoaster of emotions".

So if you're like me, you played Earthbound first, and when you go into Mother 3, you expect a fun, quirky adventure with plenty of laughs. Oh sure, there'd be serious and scary moments, but it'd still be lighthearted affair overall...

...then Chapter 1 of the game is titled Night of the Funeral and, deep down, some part of you predicts that this game is going to destroy your soul. Of course, Mother 3 still has the comedic moments and entertaining dialogue that you can expect from the series. Something terrible is going down on the Nowhere Islands--a family is torn apart, and the influence of a mysterious individual begin to corrupt the previously innocent Tazmily Village. It's basically the "hero's hometown destroyed" trope but a lot more interesting.

I think I mentioned this in my "favourite game" post, but it's kind of hard to talk about this game's story without spoiling stuff. But the slogan sums it up pretty nicely--like the other games in the series it's very strange, but funny and with plenty of sad and heartwarming moments. On top of it all, it has a genuinely interesting story, a great (and terrible) villain, and the game's ending in particular has stuck with me more than any other ending. Video game or otherwise.

oh and at one point you play as a monkey, 10/10, GOTYAY

• Thumbs Up 3

Ugh I've already brought these games up several times but I really can't think of any other that affected me to the degree these ones did:

The Last of Us, BioShock Series, Half-Life 2 series, Portal series, Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask, The Walking Dead.

I kind of love all of these games equally story-wise so I won't bother with a picture today.

I'm not motivated to do paragraphs and paragraphs so I'll just mention what really resonated with me in these games:

My favourite thing The Last of Us does is not be afraid to dial back on the gameplay when it serves the story experience more.  Ending spoilers:

The final two sections of gameplay had so much meaning and power for the story and were much more satisfying for me than any dramatic battle or final boss could've been.  The ending itself was SO good too.  I really wasn't sure what Joel was going to do and the ending pleasantly surprised me and hit something truly human and emotional for me.  I get pissed off when people dislike Joel for the choice he made because I would make the same one if it was someone I loved that much.  Apparently in their focus testing not a single gamer who was a parent disagreed with his choice either.  But what really sells the ending to me is it wasn't just Joel's choice.  The final line of the game, just Ellie's "Okay", is so powerful, because that is Ellie's choice.  You can see in her eyes that she doesn't believe him - but her love and trust for him is more important than that.  UGH SUCH A GOOD ENDING.

BioShock is probably the most complex storytelling game experience I've had.  Full of twists and turns.  I still think BioShock 1 has the best plot twist to ever be told in the gaming medium - something that would have never had the same impact if the story had been told from a third person perspective.  Spoilers for literally every entry in the series including Burial at Sea:

Another thing is how they ended up combining Infinite and BioShock 1 into the same canon after all.  It's something I never thought I'd be comfortable with, but I am.  Not a single loose end was left hanging (assuming you dig into all the audio diaries).  I can still enjoy BioShock 1 on its own merits, but I am also now tempted to replay Infinite BEFORE BioShock 1 to enjoy it as the prequel it turned out to be.

Half-Life 2 is just frustratingly good.  It's a plot line that seems fairly straightforward on the surface, by HL2 Episode Two you realise there are a LOT of threads bubbling under the surface.  So much potential here and I can't believe it's approaching a decade with no sign of when we'll be getting more.  The cast is quite small yet every single character is likeable, be it as a good guy or a bad guy.  I hope no newcomers are put off by how spread out the story beats are in HL2, because it is worth getting into.  The Episodes pace the story so much better and you will be begging for more by the end of them.

Portal series is Half-Life 2's excellent quality of writing and depth but applied to the comedy genre.  Simply incredible writing and the world of Aperture is perfectly realised despite the plain idiocy and surrealness on show.  Just as a tip to newcomers - if you're not hard of hearing, please play these games with the subtitles off if you normally turn them on.  Comic timing is everything and the subtitles ruin it.

Majora's Mask is just such a unique entity that I fear we'll never see the likes of again in Zelda.  The groundhog day scenario allowed them to make the NPCs and world feel SO much more alive than any other Zelda, before or after, and it makes you care so much about what you do.  The best part is unlike OoT you actually get to see the benefits and results of saving the populace, even if only temporarily, thanks to the locations being in a dire state the first time you go to them (most Zelda games tend to keep an upbeat tone even when this is the case, otherwise the entire game would be depressing - MM uses depressingness to its advantage to really show off the difference you're making).

Finally, The Walking Dead is... well it's a story-focused game so if the story wasn't fantastic it would have probably flopped lol.  You know they've done a good job when you enjoyed the story so thoroughly, you don't want to replay the game.  I thought I'd want to try again to make different choices and see everything but... no, my personal Walking Dead canon is too important to me to tread upon.

• Thumbs Up 7

TWD_Season_2_black_logo.png

An absolute highlight of a game from last year, The Walking Dead was something else. For me, it was an experience into the power of what video games can provide emotionally in the story department. The incredible writing, characters and situations you're pushed into are some of the most difficult things I've had to do in video games, and it's as simply as a point and click. Lee is a guy with a dark past with a fresh start to do better, and as the player you can mould this character into the kind of person you want him to be. Every character you interact with within your group looks up to you like the leader, and you see them for what they are - flawed, desperate to survive, and feel so very real. Your personal input to everything really invests you more than any normal video game can.

But the absolute highlight of this entire saga even leading into Season 2 is Clementine. A young girl you find hiding in her treehouse, as Lee you can't help to defend Clem like a father. As time goes on, you learn about one another and form a relationship unrivalled in video game storytelling. You teach her to be strong, defend herself, be more confident, handle a gun... so when the end of Season 1 comes and your bonds with the characters are put to the test, you fight the clock to save Clem just one more time.

This all accumulates in a small locked off building, after Clem finally finds her parents she's been looking for, and is about to lose another. And you have to ask her to kill you or not...

...and that's the first time (and so far, the only time) I've ever cried at a video game. I won't discuss Season 2 in detail for spoilers, but the storytelling is just as powerful and captivating, not disappointing in the slightest.

Yo watch out for those spoilers, brah. tongue.png

I agree tho', TWD was the shit.

Edit - Thanks brah

TLoU:

The final two sections of gameplay had so much meaning and power for the story and were much more satisfying for me than any dramatic battle or final boss could've been.  The ending itself was SO good too.  I really wasn't sure what Joel was going to do and the ending pleasantly surprised me and hit something truly human and emotional for me.  I get pissed off when people dislike Joel for the choice he made because I would make the same one if it was someone I loved that much.  Apparently in their focus testing not a single gamer who was a parent disagreed with his choice either.  But what really sells the ending to me is it wasn't just Joel's choice.  The final line of the game, just Ellie's "Okay", is so powerful, because that is Ellie's choice.  You can see in her eyes that she doesn't believe him - but her love and trust for him is more important than that.  UGH SUCH A GOOD ENDING.

There's not a doubt in my mind that I'd have done the exact same thing.

Day 14 - Favourite Story

I just gotta mention this game again.

Batman_Arkham_Asylum_Videogame_Cover.jpg

Batman: Arkham Asylum

I mentioned in another post of mine that this was the most immersive game I have ever played. And part of that had to do with the story. One of the main reasons I got sucked into this game was the great storytelling. I loved how Batman and all the villains were portrayed in this game. Especially Joker. I really like how the developers put in little "interviews" with the villains and you got to see more about their backstory and how they became a villain. You see, that's what I like about the story. We have all these great characters, portrayed amazingly throughout this universe, and we also get to see what their life was like in the past. The Scarecrow segments that showed Batman's past and how he came to be a hero were some of the best story telling segments of the game in my opinion. Everything was pieced together nicely to create a grand adventure. I think the only time I was a bit meh on the story was during Poison Ivy's segment if only because I believe two facts contradicted themselves. Eh, it probably wasn't important since I hardly remember what it was they said. 

So, in the end I really didn't say much about the story, but I stand by my word. This game's story is part of what makes this game so good. I would have gone for other games, but really, there are lots of games with great stories that I haven't finished, thus not being able to put a final verdict on. 

spec-ops-the-line.jpg

Spec Ops: The Line is one of the many works inspired by Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.You would think moral ambiguity would be a really obvious plot point to center the plot of a military shooter around, but most prefer "You are the physical embodiment of truth and freedom, so kill those guys and don't ask questions". SO:TL is exactly a criticism of that theme.

I can't think of a game since Bioshock or Fallout: NV - Lonesome Road that has managed to be so subversive with its message. In truth, Spec Ops was pretty boring initially. Visually stunning, and I was enjoying the characters, but it was repetitive. Some have said that it was Yager's intention to not make it fun to a point, so I guess they succeeded. But as the story ramps up, that all kinda just got pushed to the back of my mind.

When talking about an experience, juxtaposition is key. A storm is at its worst when you enter it. Spend some time in the storm and you' get used to it, reducing the feeling of a threat. This is Spec Ops began getting rougher at chapter 5, slowed a bit down again, and ultimately made you hate yourself immensely as you create this path of destruction. In the end you're in even ground with the antagonist: following orders and trying to do the "right thing" as opposed to what was necessary, crossing a line you couldn't live with.

It's pretty much the antithesis of the typical shooter vibe. All the characters are human and flawed, the protagonists are broken, physically and emotionally, throughout the whole narrative. It offers you choices that you decide real time in gameplay, but not by pushing a "Yes/No" button, but deciding if you want to go on (the same conflict as the protagonist). There's not even an actual antagonist - all the characters legitimately feel what they are doing is right.

The developers accomplished something truly unique; simultaneously doing social commentary, a savage indictment of the modern military shooter and a tale of a soldier's encroaching insanity. Using the videogame medium like this to convey something nuanced and meaningful is something I'd love to see more often.

• Thumbs Up 4

spec-ops-the-line.jpg

Spec Ops: The Line is one of the many works inspired by Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.You would think moral ambiguity would be a really obvious plot point to center the plot of a military shooter around, but most prefer "You are the physical embodiment of truth and freedom, so kill those guys and don't ask questions". SO:TL is exactly a criticism of that theme.

I can't think of a game since Bioshock or Fallout: NV - Lonesome Road that has managed to be so subversive with its message. In truth, Spec Ops was pretty boring initially. Visually stunning, and I was enjoying the characters, but it was repetitive. Some have said that it was Yager's intention to not make it fun to a point, so I guess they succeeded. But as the story ramps up, that all kinda just got pushed to the back of my mind.

When talking about an experience, juxtaposition is key. A storm is at its worst when you enter it. Spend some time in the storm and you' get used to it, reducing the feeling of a threat. This is Spec Ops began getting rougher at chapter 5, slowed a bit down again, and ultimately made you hate yourself immensely as you create this path of destruction. In the end you're in even ground with the antagonist: following orders and trying to do the "right thing" as opposed to what was necessary, crossing a line you couldn't live with.

It's pretty much the antithesis of the typical shooter vibe. All the characters are human and flawed, the protagonists are broken, physically and emotionally, throughout the whole narrative. It offers you choices that you decide real time in gameplay, but not by pushing a "Yes/No" button, but deciding if you want to go on (the same conflict as the protagonist). There's not even an actual antagonist - all the characters legitimately feel what they are doing is right.

The developers accomplished something truly unique; simultaneously doing social commentary, a savage indictment of the modern military shooter and a tale of a soldier's encroaching insanity. Using the videogame medium like this to convey something nuanced and meaningful is something I'd love to see more often.

I really need to get around to playing Spec Ops some time. I've heard people sing its praises for ages, and I've heard a few comparisons to MGS2's meta-narrative. My interest is definitely piqued. 

There are many stories I enjoy. Special mention to Batman Arkham Asylum/Origins, Metal Gear Solid 1 and Assassin's Creed 2. All very touching, thought-provoking which have left me with plenty to think about. For me the big win comes from when the story compliments the gameplay and for that reason I am picking; The Last of Us as my favourite.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

It's a kind of a depressing story. The Cordyceps Fungi has had a devastating effect on humanity. Infected humans attack any 'normal' human in sight. Quarantine zones controlled by military - after martial law was declared when normal society broke down - are a grim place to live, and food is becoming more and more scarce. Some humans (or 'hunters' as they are better known) spend their time ambushing others to try and get food, clothes, weapons, anything to help them survive. 

I say normal, but no one can be considered normal anymore. Even Joel - the main character you play as - is basically a 'violent survivor'.  Every person Joel & Ellie meet along the journey has lost someone, been affected by the pandemic. Joel & Ellie can't trust anyone, and yet at times they do end up making uneasy alliances as they continue their journey, and there is loss along the way which they are forced to deal with and move-on. The most powerful message the story brings is probably 'hope'. Hope that there can be a better future. In Joel's own words:

"I struggled a long time with surviving, but no matter what, you keep finding something to fight for."

It's a beautifully told story, not just in the cutscenes but also in the gameplay. You can learn so much more of the devastation if you explore the environments, listen to your enemies conversations and do the optional interactions between Joel, Ellie and people you meet. It's a story I find incredibly touching. I even shed a tear at the end.

Also I think TLOU Left Behind dlc deserves a mention. It explores Ellie's back-story before she meets Joel. It's fascinating to see how her character develops. I like how it gives a unique insight as to how Ellie became such a strong character. This is cleverly done in how the gameplay switches back and forth between the events in the past with Ellie and Riley, and then back to the present in the time-line when Joel is travelling with Ellie, a section that you never got to play in the main game. It made me appreciate the struggles Ellie has been through even more.

last-of-us-left-behind.jpg

The ending is very clever. It's not a happy ending, it's not a 'good has triumphed over evil conclusion', it's just that you survived. It leaves a lot of questions unanswered. It lets you draw your own conclusions as to what happened and what might happen in the future.

I have TLOU on PS3 and I will be getting the PS4 version with no regrets. It's a masterclass in story telling and I highly recommend it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Aaaaaand back to the Spin-Attaxx-unfriendly "Favourite X" questions...

Since you're forcing me to choose, I guess Pokémon Black comes the closest. There, it felt like an honest effort to tell a story that was more than just the standard "8 Gyms, 4 Elites, 1 Champion and I guess there's a Pokédex in there somewhere" spiel that had been going on for years before (and, arguably, in the years since, too). They actually addressed certain aspects of the franchise that people have been talking about for a long time (most notably sending kids away on their own and the whole "maybe Pokémon don't WANNA" be taken from their habitat and pitted against other Pokémon" thing). N is probably the most complex character in the series (dunno about X/y though).

All in all, it's such a shame that the supposed sequels, rather than develop on from this, cling back to the old ways the first games initially broke free from and go "oh don't worry about Pokémon ethics, Plasma are EEEEEEEVIIIIIIIIILLLLL so therefore they're wrong" and "Hooray! You beat Plasma and saved the wor-oh by the way, you still have that insgnificant-by-comparison fight with Iris before we say the game's beat".

...I have just awoken from a sudden sleep so my mind may not be in the right places.

Aaaaaand back to the Spin-Attaxx-unfriendly "Favourite X" questions...

If you have better suggestions you're free to bring them up.

Day 14 - Favorite Story and this where I become aware that I haven't finished enough games...

Okay, so I never BEAT the game, but... I like the simple premise of Yoshi's Island's story. The Stork is taking Baby Mario Bros to their  parents, and a bad guy tries to steal them, and manages to get Baby Luigi, while Baby Mario ends up falling on a Yoshi's back. So the Yoshi's try to get him reunited with his brother. D'aaaaaaaaaw.

I never played the game, but I saw Dad play it, and I remember liking the story in Half-Life 2. I'm too tired to try to remember all the details of it right now, unfortunately.

Sonic Gene- hahahahaha

Favorite Story? Going with Tales of the Abyss.

Tales of the Abyss threw curveballs at me at every turn, and I never had a clue what was going to happen next. And unlike nearly every game in the series, it doesn't pull the two worlds bullshit, instead it takes a fresh new look on an old trope.

And that's what Tales of the Abyss does best. It takes tired tropes and revitalizes them in interesting ways.

• Thumbs Up 1

It ain't kinda like that. Nyx isn't really a big bad guy that wants to destroy the world. She is neither hostile nor malevolent and only acts according to the will of people who wish to die.

Erebus, the other "bad guy" is the manifestation of humanity's grief and negative emotion and when he comes in contact with Nyx, the Fall will happen.

Sealing Nyx was actually the best option available since as stated on FES, Erebus will reanimate infinite times as long as humanity wishes to die. If he can't reach her, shit won't happen.

And let's not forget that no one was even aware of this thing until all that crap in FES happened.

In Arena on Elizabeth's story mode it is said that Erebus tried to break the seal multiple times after the events of the Answer, but Elizabeth always "killed" him whenever he appeared.

Also, he attacked Aigis since she inherited Makoto's Wild Card ability.

Ah, that cleared some things up. It had been a long time since I played it, and I'd forgotten parts of the story. Even though I own Arena, I still haven't got round to playing it yet, it is on my to-do list though.

Guess I'll move onto today then -

Day 14: Fav. Story

I am partial to a story that can surprise and keep you guessing, while also being funny but must have a happy ending.

Two games I played this year had all of those, totally surprising back stabbing, constantly questioning who the real antagonist is, mysteries hidden till the very end.

But they both did something else that resulted in me not choosing Bravely Default and The Witch and the Hundred Knight as my favourite stories. That being the whole alternate dimension/world trope. I don't mind the trope, it's just that when it appears, it gets very confusing, very quickly for me.

There is a third choice that doesn't slip into the confusing alternate worlds story, and I'm guessing that if you've seen my other posts, you might be able to guess what it's going to be.

1.jpg

Persona 4 Again

On a slightly related note, I had no idea that Yukiko and Vincent Brooks (Catherine protagonist) make a cameo on Persona 3 Portable.

persona3psp31_display.jpg

Yukiko Amagi

ManDrinkingAlone.png

Vincent Brooks

But I guess that was to be expected since when I first played P3P, I hadn't played Persona 4 or heard of Catherine at the time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 14: Favorite Story

Mother3Logo_9443.png

Mother 3's one hell of an emotional rollarcoaster. It's characters and setting, and the way they grow and changed by forces beyond their control is incredibly powerful. It introduces a very friendly and family oriented civilization, and throughout the coarse of the story, slowly takes everything about them and buries or corrupts it until only you and your small band of friends are left to explore a hollowed world, desperately trying to prevent what's left from being destroyed, as any hope of restoring the status quo slowly diminishes, leading to an ending that, when you think about it, was the best possible scenario, despite how nightmarishly tragic it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Solatorobo

solatorobo_concept_03_thumb.jpg

Well this is my first repeat haha.

Early on when we choose our favorite game, I largely chose Solatorobo because of it's story. I'm the kinda person that really looks for a good story telling in a game, since it gets me invested and really sucked in. Solatorobo does one of my favorite things in gaming story-wise (Okami did this too), by faking you out that the story is ending at a certain point, just to pull the wool over your eyes that it's really just beginning.

I'm sure many posts will be like this today, but I really don't want to go into detail about the story and why I like it, since I feel like spoiling it would be a really shitty thing to do. I will say though however that it starts from being a cozy little thing about two siblings trying to make their way in life, to something that affects not just the entire world as they know it, but the history and future of said world. Red, the main character, really feels like he's at the helm at this, and makes the story extremely emotional, especially toward the end. Wish I could explain deeper, but I don't even want to say it with spoiler tags lmao.

Runner up games for amazing stories would definitely be Okami, Earthbound, and Valkyria Chronicles.

• Thumbs Up 1

chrono-trigger-snes-box-350h.jpg?w=400&h

Yep, Chrono Trigger again. When I first played the game a few years back I knew pretty much nothing about it except it was an RPG about time travel, so the plot sucked me in like few other games ever have. It starts off with a somewhat innocent vibe to it, where you and a couple friends accidentally time travel and have a few misadventures. Sure it's by no means all fun and games (that trial scene), but once I reached the future apocalyptic wasteland I knew some serious shit had gone down. But the game doesn't tell you what happened straight away, which is a really good thing since it helps build mystery and suspense. Further, by this point the game has already done a lot to develop its world and characters, so you should already have good reasons to feel kinda sad and terrified about what the future holds.

Once I stumbled across that old footage of Lavos popping out of the ground and bringing down a fiery hellstorm, I genuinely wanted to stop it. Not because the game told me to, but because I actually cared. From there on out, the entire game is about finding out what Lavos is, where it came from, and how to stop it. Every new section of the game contributes to building the intrigue and adds something new to the situation. Nothing here feels pointless or like it's deliberately wasting my time. I always wanted to see what happened next, so I kept myself glued to the game until that big red bastard went DOWN.

But what would a good story be without memorable characters? Chrono Trigger has one of the best main casts in all of gaming, IMO. Everyone here is three dimensional, believable, and incredibly likeable. When something bad happens to any of them, I really do feel the emotional impact. It helps add depth and weight to an already masterfully-constructed story.

• Thumbs Up 1

EDG147-potential-main-picture.jpg

Skies of Arcadia

This game has one of the most likable worlds I've ever experienced in a game. It's a story of adventure; the Blue Rogues, a chivalrous band of Air Pirates need to defeat the evil admirals of the Valuan Empire and stop the Moon Crystals from falling into the wrong hands. It's funny, because it basically hits every JRPG trope in the book, but it's a really charming game, and charm goes a long way for me. As much as I'd love a sequel, I don't think the original could be done justice by it. Everything you do feels incredibly significant, and there's some great character development along the way. It's not the most deep or intellectual story, but it doesn't have to be. It's just fun, and I love it. 

I was originally going to mention a Zelda game, but I feel like Skies overall beats any one particular game in that franchise. Still, I like the lore in that series, despite efforts to make it more complex and deep muddling it a bit. 

Day 14: Uncle Ricky, could you read us a bedtime story?

I'm pretty sure I said this last year, but I can't think of anything else than...

The_World_Ends_With_You.jpg

REN'S FAVORITE STORY: THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU

RPGs usually go into a big ol' fantasy setting, but one thing I love about this game is that it's setting is modern and based off of real locations. When taking this into account along with the good characters, it really seems like their problems are real. Actually, outside of the whole Reaper's Game stuff, the problems some of the characters face ARE real problems that a lot of people face at least once in their life. Neku deals with antisocial behavior and trust issues, Shiki deals with envy and an inferiority complex, Beat has arguments with his parents and doesn't want to lose that are close to him. Some of the stuff admittedly hit home for me, and at times I feel I relate to Neku on a personal level ("I don't get people...Never have, never will."). Now moving on from all the personal stuff, the rest of the story itself didn't fail to lose me at all, although I will admit that it drags at some points, but then again, a lot of RPGs do that. Even with the dragging, I never felt like I was bored of the story. I was captivated the entire way through, on the edge of my seat for a couple moments. The character cast was greatly diverse, with tons of different personalities clashing together to make the world of Shibuya come to life. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The Walking Dead

the-walking-dead-game-episode-4-walkthro

The Walking Dead game is one of my favorite story-driven games of all-time. It is intense, dramatic, and filled with characters lovable and unlovable. So far, Season 2 is pretty great, but I don't know if it will live up to the amazing story of Season 1, it's still early on though. Season 1 had you play as Lee Everett, as you were put in the midst of a zombie apocalypse while in a police car after murdering the person your wife had an affair on. Shortly after, the car wrecks and Lee must run to some house to hide, there he finds Clementine and the journey begins.

Now TellTale games main focus is pretty much story telling, as their main area of expertise is in point and click titles, but this one really outshines the rest in every aspect. I feel with these characters through-out the entire game series, and I recommend everyone to go out and buy it even if they already know how it ends (which the ending is pretty damn shocking if you don't know how it does.), I played it knowing what already happened, but damn it was still fucking great. You should get it, it's on pretty much everything except Nintendo consoles, seriously get Season 1, and then get Season 2. Great games with a story that really drags you into it, and this is the only thing related to the Walking Dead I have ever played, watched or read, and I'm a huge fan of this game. Seriously, just get it if you haven't already. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 14! Best story!

Bioshock Infinite, hands down. I was originally going to say the first Bioshock but my problem with that game is the main character Jack, who doesn't really have a personality or a voice. Well, except for at the very beginning of the game. The main character in Infinite however, Booker DeWitt, is a very interesting man indeed. As is the girl he eventually finds in the sky city of Columbia, called Elizabeth.

Now the story in Infinite is amazing and it would be spoilers, not to mention awfully complicated if I told you about what happens or how the game ends. Basically it starts off confusing but then it ends up making sense in the most holy shit what just happened moment of the game. Not to mention you'll be slapping your forehead and going "OH! So that's what's going on!" many times, especially if you replay Infinite's story and pay close attention to the subtle dialogue and details in the background. For example, when you first arrive in Columbia you think everything is wonderful and lovely. Enter the fairground however and pay close attention to some of the dialogue by people in the fair and the seemingly racist fairground games. I don't think many people notice this on their first play through, but play again and you will notice this and more! There's many other examples throughout but it's much more fun to find out for yourself, and I think it's very clever that to find out more from the story you need to pay close attention to surroundings and in game script.

Anyway, Bioshock Infinite's story is insanely clever and deep with probably the most shocking ending of any video game. And that's shocking in a good way mind you! Burial at Sea is even better I heard, but I've only played the first episode (which is great too btw!).

Edit: forgot my honourable mentions! The Walking Dead, Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption are all winners in the story department.

Edited by Gabz Girl