Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 16

Most Tragic/Saddest Moment

Persona 4

December 3rd

Otherwise known as the point where Nanako dies.

Now, Nanako doesn't stay dead, but if this is your first time playing, it hits you like a fucking truck.

Before this point, the killer sent a couple of threat letters to your house telling you to stop saving people or else someone close is going to get thrown in.  Your uncle sees the 2nd letter and brings you to the police station for how you became involved in the murders.  You end up staying at the station until midnight, and the Midnight Channel suddenly turns on.  On it appears the silhouette of Nanako, your little "sister", which means she's the next one to be targeted.

One of your friends arrives at your house only to see the front door open, and nobody inside.  She was kidnapped and was surely going to die unless you do something quick.  You and your friends come to a conclusion who the killer is, and immediately set off to corner him.  The kidnapper gets away into the TV with Nanako after getting into a car wreck with your uncle, and you and your friends go on a journey to save her.

Once you do rescue her, she's in terrible condition due to being exposed to the TV world at such a young age.  Though, it seems she's making a steady recovery, you just have to wait.  On December 3rd, you remember that you made a promise to Nanako to buy a new kotatsu after the old one broke, and you and your friends go out shopping.

You get a phone call.

And Nanako's condition suddenly took a turn for the worse.  You immediately rush to the hospital.  The nurse rushes you into Nanako's room to be with her.  Your uncle is on his way too, although slowly due to his injuries.  You grasp her hand, begging for her to hang on just a little bit longer...

She dies shortly after.

Your uncle is devastated, and you see what's going on outside.  All of your friends are crying while the doctor tells your uncle that they did everything they could.  He walks off, one of your friends screams at the top of his lungs and slams his fist into the wall.  Your uncle's assistant seems confused, because it your uncle walks off in the direction opposite of his room... in the direction where the killer was being treated.

Your uncle was going to kill him.  He lost his wife before, and now his only daughter.  He lost everything and he was going to make that bastard pay.  Luckily he was stopped by a policeman on duty and was brought back to his room.  You and your friends come in right after and hear a noise coming from the kidnapper's room.  You walk in and see him trying to escape.

This is where it really gets me, because right here the game decides to put the fate of that bastard in your hands.  Right after he kills Nanako, you're forced to make the tough decisions.  It's fucking hard.  There's a TV right there... who's to say he didn't just "accidentally" fell into it?  There's 3 ways to handle this...

-Throw him in and let him die.

-Attempt to defuse your friends and let him live.

-Make the case that he might not be the killer and let him live.

The last two let Nanako live by some miracle

Choosing the 3 option is hard to do, because you need to choose a very specific set of dialogue options in order for the game to proceed down that path (and get the good ending).  It requires you to keep a level head and think about the situation logically when it's being overrun by emotions.

The game's telling you to abandon your emotions at the point where it's almost impossible to do so, and it fucking hurts.  The impact is lessened when Nanako pulls through, but goddamn it hurts so bad the first time.

I cried. Got the bad ending.

I think that's the first time I've gotten a bad ending as a result of pure unadulterated rage towards a character.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly can't think of anything for this, so I'll just opt out and say the ending of Anju and Kafei's sidequest in Majora's Mask

Since Majora's Mask is brought up a lot, I'll keep this short.

Also, spoliers

This sidequest probably took the most amount of effort to accomplish and almost uses the 3 days to finish it. I felt sad about what happened to Kafei, being transformed into a child by Skull Kid and getting his wedding mask stolen from him. It was a matter of pride that Kafei wouldn't let Anju see him in the way he is, which was understandable to me. Anju really had a lot of faith with Kafei and his disappearance until the 3rd day in which she couldn't wait anymore. Link interfering in their affairs is what saved this couple from seemingly dying a lonely death. Once the sidequest was over, the two finally reunite although Kafei is still in his child form. Anju sees past that and still embraces him recognizing that she is finally with her lover. With only a few minutes left till the moon crashes, Link oversees the couple's vows and hears something that did make my heart sink. This paraphrased from memory, so forgive me if I butcher it:

"We will watch the morning together."

Damn. I mean, the reunion was short and bittersweet. The couple's first thing they do together is to hold hands and wait for their inevitable demise. It almost broke my heart to see this, even more so that if I go back in time I will undo everything I've done to reunite the two.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 16: Saddest Moment

I pretty much HAVE to bring up Red Dead Redemption again.

500px-Red_Dead_Redemption_John_Marston%E

After weeks and weeks of hunting down his former colleagues, playing poker, getting caught up in civil wars, getting drunk at saloons, saving people from bandits, playing poker and, of course, playing poker; John finally returns home to his wife and son and spends the last hour or two of the game just tending his ranch. Until one day Supreme Overlord Assface Douchebag Ross shows up with the literal U.S army to take you down. And while they do at least suffer extremely heavy casualties, they still win anyways. Then you're treated to your wife and son standing over your grave while THIS plays:

Yeah, I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed some actual tears. John was such a likeable and awesome main character, but everything he worked for gets flushed right down the toilet. The game flashes forward a couple years, and now not only is his wife dead, his son Jack has taken up the mantle and is living a life that John was specifically trying to steer him away from. The game does at least fully end on a satisfying note as you (now playing as Jack) shoot Supreme Overlord Assface Douchebag Ross a dozen times in the balls (or at least that's how *I* do it), so there's that.

And I will say, while I seem to be a minority on this, I really like playing as Jack. Even if the character switch is basically a glorified palette swap, being able to explore the world as Jack gives me a new sense of adventure. Like everything has been given a fresh coat of paint, I guess. Plus since this is the beginning of Jack's new life, I feel like I can actually play as a believable outlaw if I want to since Jack doesn't really have cutscenes that paint him out as a do-gooder regardless of the player's actions between missions. *coughJOHNcough*

• Thumbs Up 1

A True Patriot

MGS_25_2.jpg

The graveyard scene in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater where Big Boss mourns the loss of his mentor 'The Boss' who he was forced to kill.

"You are above even the Boss. I hereby award you the title of Big Boss"

I felt so sorry for Big Boss as he stands in front of The Boss' gravestone, as tears fall down his left cheek. Having just been awarded the title of 'Big Boss' he's devastated that he had no choice but to kill his mentor who he idolised. Snake's been through hell. Nearly tortured to death by Volgin. Losing the sight in his right eye when Ocelot accidentally shot him. Then Eva - the spy who he fell in love with - betrayed him. He's left to dwell on all these events. The Boss who was in fact a hero will go down in official history as a war-criminal. It's a burden that Snake carries for a very long time after the events of Snake Eater.

Snake is a likable guy and I really feel for him as he stands and salutes The Boss' grave. You can even view a hidden cutscene where you can see the gravestone through Big Boss' eye as he breaks down in tears.

So very touching.
  • Thumbs Up 2

For my saddest/most tragic moment, I'm playing the Sonic card again and going for a very unconventional choice:

Shadow the Hedgehog: Slightly Hero Ending

Yep, Mr. Needlerat's Gunhappy Escapade. You may be asking: "Why THIS game? It's one of the most ridiculous things ever associated with this franchise and has birthed numerous jokes!" Well, this particular ending always gets to me. There's just something about Shadow's somber speech and the way he just kinda exits afterwards. No ridiculously hilarious evil laughs, no killing Eggman, no believing he's a robot, no hammy hero speeches, just the realization that he's a mistake and silence. It's probably the most subtle this game ever gets, even though it could be argued that it basically just amounts to "TEH EMOZ." Regardless, I've always liked this scene and really wished that the final story had tied into it somehow, as it would've given the whole thing a great "rising from the ashes" kinda vibe in the end. I also like Vector being a bro and trying to help him out. Not exactly a super sad or tragic moment, but one that never fails to make me feel sorry for Shadow in the end every time.

• Thumbs Up 4

*sniff*

This right here, man

I... can't take it

I need a moment.....

*blows into tissues*

My phone derped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vcav

Dd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming that this was an accidental post on your part. But seeing from your first post from this round that you wanted to make an additional post on another game you can edit this post to put your second thoughts from the game here or I can delete it assuming that you let me know.

*sniff*

This right here, man

I... can't take it

I need a moment.....

*blows into tissues*

It would be very much appreciated if you actually reported posts like these as opposed to seeing it as an opportunity to make a joke about/from them. Not every time is appropriate for jokes and things of the like, especially since it looks like the post was a mistake made in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Walking Dead - I would talk about the ending, but since that has already been mentioned a couple times on today's and yesterday's questions, I'll instead go with the third chapter.

One of the things the game really does right is making the choices and their results affect more about your own perception of the characters as opposed to affecting the story as a whole. The "X will remember this" messages demonstrate this perfectly: you do something that maybe you shouldn't have, and now you're pondering wheter that hurt one of the characters.

Bam, you're now caring about the emotions of a fictional being. That's good storytelling.

Perhaps one of the saddest (and most significant) moments in the game is in Episode 3. Near the beggining, Lilly kills Carley (or Doug) thinking she is a traitor. I flipped on Lilly in that instant. I tried to help her dad. I investigated the missing supplies. I trusted her with my secret. She was the only survivor outside of Carley and Clem that I felt I could truly trust and in that moment she was dead to me. In the span of a couple minutes, you've lost two people in your group that already was too small..

I think part of what makes the Doug/Carley death all the more astonishing is that literally seconds before they die, there's a little "Doug/Carley will remember that" as you defend them. It totally caught me off guard, and put me on edge for the rest of the season.

Continuing the Walking Dead theme...

The ending to Season 1, as people gushed about yesterday, is absolutely incredible, but heart-wrenchingly awful at the same time. When it comes to deciding whether Clem should leave Lee or shoot Lee, you get a lot longer than normal to make your choice. I used every last possible second. Possibly put her through the trauma of seeing Lee as a Walker, or the trauma of kiilling him first!  I'm still not sure how I made a decision on that, over 12 months on.

Last time, I recall I mentioned Gau's reunion with his father in Final Fantasy 6. Them feels, it still stands out. But, another game with a sad family-based story...Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

So the whole plot is pretty bleak to begin wuth, Younger Brother having witnessed his mother drown giving him a fear of water, and then dad gets sick too. Things begin to lighten up at times as you travel the land, with hope and reuniting two lovers. Of course, you also have a guy try to hang himself and that battlefield...

I digress. The brothers rescue a girl who was about to be sacrificed by a tribe. She takes a liking to Older Brother, and leads them to a cave, before revealing herself to be a spider demon. The brothers battle by pulling off her legs, one by one. She becomes less agressive as the fight goes on, actively trying to escape when down to her last leg. She looked so pathetic, I felt pity for her. I tried to leave. Eventually, I accepted I had to finish the fight to continue the story.

Then she stabbed Older Brother through the chest.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

BITCH!!! FUCKING BITCH!!! YOU...YOU...you...you...

Everything from that point hit so hard, even Younger Brother overcoming his fears and finding the courage from deep within, was bittersweet.

I hate spiders.

• Thumbs Up 2

Saddest moment - couldn't think off of the top of my head of a moment related to a specific game that was not Sonic, and I am not at home to view my collection, so I hope this answer counts as for my younger self this was a harsh thing...

The day I realised/found out that SEGA was exiting/leaving the home console hardware market. :(

I remember being devastated by this news as I had followed their consoles since getting my Master System. I almost exclusively had SEGA consoles (couple of handhelds). The idea that they would no longer produce consoles sucked. And at the time everything pointed to a worrying and uncertain future for SEGA because it was reported that they were in dire financial straits. Looking back things for the company/brand seemed to happen a lot more gradually. The first sign things seemed to be going slightly downward when I was a kid, was the time I went to visit SEGAWORLD and it had gone and became funland, that day was horrific for my younger self. But the no more consoles thing seemed so unthinkable at the time.

Obviously now I am older and much wiser and rhings don't seem as doom n gloom filled as back then. And of course our favourite games company bounced back and pulled through the hard times.

I'm assuming that this was an accidental post on your part. But seeing from your first post from this round that you wanted to make an additional post on another game you can edit this post to put your second thoughts from the game here or I can delete it assuming that you let me know.

Hmmmmm, naw delete it please. I'll make my second post later, thanks.

Day 16: Most Tragic/Saddest Moment

If I was going to be brutally honest, it would be the fact that this exists.

20120827083528!DmC_box_art.png

But no, that'll be my joke entry. I've got a real one. Just give me a sec...

The Witch and the Hundred Knight - Metallia's "Destiny" & Visco's suffering.

2396778-81zg3frulsl._sl1500_.jpg

I recall quite recently how in the anime/manga thread, that fiction tends to keep it's distance towards certain subject matter. In the case of what we were talking about, it was bullying. I wasn't sure what to think about it, but months later, I'd get my hands on The Witch and the Hundred Knight and the two main heroines suffer greatly at the hands of bullying.

Visco mostly. It's the type of bullying we are most familiar with, the spineless two-faced jackass, friendly to your face, hate you with a passion, behind your back, type of bullying.

Even though the story is pretty dark, I easily identified with both Metallia and Visco and when I completed the whole game and saw the whole story, I was saddened. Simply because there was no more story of these character to enjoy. It'd finished.

I shall go into details in a spoiler tag, but first let me show you who Metallia and Visco are.

269673-20131213112713.jpg

Visco on the left, Metallia on the right. The little guy is you, the Hundred Knight.

When I first saw Metallia, before I got the game. A part of me wondered "why?" She was clearly an anti-hero, a dark character and I wanted to know why. I subscribe to the idea that a person is not born evil, something must've happened to them to make them like that.

When I finally got the game, Metallia was at her worst at the very beginning. Hating another character beyond words. As you play as her familiar, the Hundred Knight, I kinda felt it was my duty to get to the bottom of this. There was no part of the game and her actions, that made me hate her. I just wanted to know why.

Metallia is the Swamp Witch. She has lived in the swamp for her entire life and has only had her loyal butler, Arlecchino as company. (He appears to be a robot, who sounds constantly disinterested in...well, everything. Yes...) She can't leave the swamp for too long, as her health will quickly deteriorate.

That's the first tragic part I learn about her. She's grown up with no friends or family to speak of. No wonder shes so angry. Her past gets worse...

Despite her no mercy attitude, she is still very child like. She likes candy, can be naive and gets excited about new things, although she'll try to hide it.

That brings me towards the second tragic part of her story. Having learned how to expand her swamp territory, one day she gets invited to a big witch soiree. Only the most important witches get to attend such an event and she was super excited. It came with a list of requirements she had to acquire at a set place before a set time.

The entire thing was a prank to set her up to look foolish in front of all the other witches. Poor Metallia was left in disbelief, crying her eyes out. Someone was gonna pay for this.

I just remembered a sub plot that was rather tragic too. It involved a buridongo (Basically a large bug.) who had fallen in love with a prince. (Basically a large douche.) Anyway, she wanted to support "her prince" and he happened to be around when some monster were going nutz, so she used her magic to kill them, but lost her mind as a result. Her powers were going crazy and the only way to stop her, was to kill her. The music that played help to make this feel so sad.

Back to Metallia. She's been appointed a special position as a witch for the kingdom of Amataya, Viscos home town. But again, it seemed to be part of a hidden underhanded plot to do away with all witches, by publicly executing her for a minor misdemeanor and creating a witch hunt to rid the world of all witches. Poor Metallia gets set up again, that's the third tragic part of her story.

We eventually learned that the swamp was concentrated mana. The source of all magic. The same source that's keeping a sealed evil alive. And Metallias existence was all part of a plan to drain all of that mana and ultimately kill the big bad, hidden away. Metallias magic is connected to the mana and when she uses it, it drains slightly. When it's completely gone, Metallia will also die.

All planned by Metallia's idol and the closest person to a mother she ever had. Dubbed "Old Hag." She left when Metallia was a child, leaving her in the care of her apprentice, Malia. (Who was the character Metallia hated at the start of the story.)

Malia started to understand the old hags plan and began preparations to try and save Metallia, while still keeping the big bad at bay. By restricting her freedom and leaving her in the care of Arlecchino. It turned out that although Malia and Metallia seemed to be at odds a lot, Malia cared about Metallia and considered her a friend. But had to leave her, to try and save her life.

Visco on the other hand, is the princess of Amataya and was cursed with the traits of a dog. She journeyed into the forest to search for a witch that could help her. But even her escorting knights resented her, referring to her as the "dog princess." But never to her face, obviously. Turns out that this has been happening her own life, as we see a scene of her as a child trying to fit in. But they only seemed to care about free snacks and not about her. She happened to learn that and was devastated.

Now that she'd been cursed, the talking has increased and she had to hide her presence to everyone. Unfortunately, that'd mean she's more likely to hear all the talk about her.

Later Visco would be killed at the hands of a character I wasn't expecting. Metallia was able to use the Hundred Knights power to create a new world like her own, and begin to destroy it and use those fragment to fix her own world, resulting in saving Visco from her fate.

However, it didn't work. Metallia and the Hundred Knight was able to save everybody from the deaths they originally suffered, except Visco. Her last hope was to trackdown the old hag for advice, that's when we learn the true purpose of Metallia and the old hag is then killed by another unexpected character. But the old hag was also maintaining the seal keeping the big bad out. She wanted Metallia to continue as the seal, until her powers are used up and she dies. Meaning so does mister big bad. But she'd also spend the rest of her life alone. Having already learned that Malia was a friend all along and failing to save her best friend, Visco. She is forces to take that responsibility and becomes the seal.

What happens after that? I think I'll leave that part out.

But the game is full of tragedy and anything tragic happened to the other characters, became erased when Metallia was trying to save Visco.

I found it all deeply moving and as Metallias familiar, there was no way in hell I was leaving her to suffer alone. Although you do have that choice at a certain point of the game, for an alternate ending.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Walking Dead

The Death of Lee

videoglide-snapshot3_0180.jpgSpoilers even though most people that care have already played or spoiled the game by now, but still spoilers. Lee dies at the end of the fifth episode, which was one of the saddest moments I've ever viewed in video game history. I nearly cried, hell, I probably had a few tears from my eyes. The emotion in this scene is just too strong for me, and I really didn't want to lose Lee as he became apart of me through-out the episodes. Seeing him die was one of the hardest things in this game to see happen. It's one of my favorite moments in gaming history, and it's probably alot of other peoples too. We'll see if you can top this, Season 2. JUST DON'T KILL KENNY

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 16: Most Tragic/Saddest moment

Red Dead Redemption. Heavy spoilers below.

the_end2--article_image.jpg

So after John Marston goes to all the trouble of getting his family by capturing his old comrades for his corrupt government, what happens next? They send the army to attack his ranch and murder him and his family. And while John makes sure his family gets away from the whole ordeal, it wasn't without payment. After hiding out in the barn with them, he sends them on their way and tells them to keep riding and never look back. As he says his last goodbyes,  he opens the barn doors to a dozen armed soldiers and marshals. John makes his last stand against the corrupt lot, but is ultimately gunned down by a flurry of firepower. Cut to his son and wife escaping on horseback, but after hearing hell break loose from the distance, they head back. To find John in a pool of his own blood. 

Throughout the game, we learn about John's criminal past, and how he tried to bury that life behind. But unfortunately, it caught up to him. Depending on your own moral actions, John is a strong and kind-hearted person. He did all that he could just so he could see his family again. The most heart-wrenching part is that he was finally at peace, living the quiet life of a rancher. And if you think he could've just ran away from his family, the government wouldn't stop hunting them down until justice was served for his past deeds. Him sacrificing himself meant his family could be free from harm from the hands of them. In a poetic way, John finally achieved "Redemption".

500px-Grave.JPG

"Blessed are the peacemakers"

;_;7

Day 1, 2, 3 and 16 complete

Day 16: Most saddening moment in video game history?

Bowser's macho sacrifice in Super Paper Mario.

Okay, so this may not look very depressive in the slightest to most people, but when you consider that Bowser is one of the most aggressive and not very bright video game villains in history who usually only cares for world domination in the long run, he surprisingly sacrifices himself in a badass way in Super Paper Mario's final chapter where he aids in holding up the collapsing rooftop, shouting at his most loathed enemies to take his love interest to safety in his own abbrassive manner of speech.

It's even more solidified when Mario, Luigi and Peach even sound somewhat remorseful about possibly losing Bowser for real, trying to claim he's not dead, having survived worse things like falling in lava, down bottomless pits and thrown into mines...

And yes, it may be a fake copout, but darn, that moment is so awesome yet so depressing at the same time.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Day 16: Most Tragic/Saddest moment

I think someone has already used this answer before me but mine has to be

Rosalina's Story - Mario Galaxy

Now Mario games are not known to be story heavy (aside from the RPG's) or have a particularly complex plot. SO you can imagine my surprise when I found the little storybook that Rosalina read to her children, a really sweet story that does bring a little tear to your eye. Its not untill you realise that it is actually about Rosalina and her family and her beginning the life of the Observatory.

The saddest part? Chapter 7
You find out that Rosalina left behind her Father and Brother to help the Star Child search for its mother, why? Because she knows what its like to not have a mother.

"But I know shes not there! I knew all along that she wasn't out there in the sky! Because...because..."

"She's sleeping under the tree on the hill!"

That's right, Rosalina's mother died

She is travelling with the lumas so they are not without a mother, like she is.

Im going to let that sink in.

This really hits me hard, possibly because I know what it is like to loose a mother.

This really is the saddest moment I have ever seen in a game.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Walking Dead

Christ dude, could you at least say when your spoiler takes place before dropping that huge bomb as the first thing you see in the spoiler tags? I figured yours was maybe something from Chapter 1 through 3 and opened it thinking it was that. I know it's a spoiler tag, but stuff from the first episodes alone are heavy enough to be considered a spoiler.

Now I need to pretend that whatever I saw was some sort of fake ending or something or just... ANYTHING (don't tell me if it was or wasn't, I'm trying to push this out of my mind as much as possible). :U

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 16: Saddest Moment

Hm...

Going to have to say Chip's 'Death' in Sonic Unleashed.

0026_sonic_unleashed.jpeg

Chip's 'death' wasn't upsetting because of the scene itself - hell, it wasn't really death as such, just him slumbering in the Earth. It was a somewhat touching scene, with Chip's memory being passed on in the bracelet and everything.

But what really makes this my choice?

Dear My Friend is one of the most moving, touching songs I have ever had the joy of listening to.

Seriously, I teared up when I first heard this song. I didn't feel particularly sad at Unleashed's ending, but this song just pushed it over the line - it's such a beautiful song, and also pretty well written. In a sense it's likely easy to relate to for many, and this blur of the line between basic game theme and a genuinely beautiful song is impressive in my eyes.

So yeah. Well done Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 7

Well, like I said in the status area, none of my games really carried over as too tragic for me. But thinking about it, I've sometimes watched dad play some of his games, and that had a pretty tragic moment...

64735_1253665111.jpg

Your mom's a zombie (Tomb Raider: Underworld)

For this to really make sense on a tragedy scale, a little game backstory is needed; when Lara was a kid, she and her mother got stranded in a temple with a sword. A voice from the future told little Lara to pull it or it'd explode (presumable killing them both), but her mum heard the voice and pulled the sword out herself, making her disappear. Since then, Lara has been looking for her mother, and still is by the events of the game. By the end, she has the tools she needs to get to the Helheim portal. Inside, she finds her mother at last atop a waterfall. But it turns out that there's a snag; the waters in here are actually formed with Eitr, a substance which makes the living undead. Her mother had fallen into this before and is now part human, part thrall (zombie-like creature). With her mother stumbling slowly towards her, Lara has no choice but to conclude that her mother is dead, has been dead for a long time, and to kill the thrall. All those years searching, only to have to put her out of her misery.

Harsh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 16 - Most Tragic/Saddest Moment

Contains The Walking Dead spoilers.

Walking-Dead-Game-Ep-5.jpg

Pretty much the entirety of Episode 5 was ridiculously sad. The entire god damn series could fit under this category really, but so I'm not being too broad with my choice, I'll go with this episode. The situation the group is in at the start is already really dire. Lee is bitten, Boatmaster Extreme's plans have all been ruined and Clementine has been taken by some mysterious stalker. You're only presented with more horrible situations from there, having to make the choice of either dismembering where Lee was bitten to possibly stop the infection from getting worse, which doesn't end up working, or just accepting his fate, losing even more members of your group, possibly having Clementine be made to kill a person for the first time and Clem finally seeing her parents that she's been searching for since the first episode succumbed to the horde. Throughout the episode, Lee's condition is getting visibly worse as time goes on, making you dread how things are going to turn out by the time the end of the episode comes around....

How the episode does end is definitely worth dreading. Lee is visibly on the verge of dying, trapped in a room with Clementine. Clem has already found out that what she's gone across the country for was all for naught, and now the one who has been protecting her is going to be gone too. Everything has gone to complete shit for this girl and she's not even 10 years old. In his final moments, Lee has to teach Clementine how to make it on her own, as he's no longer going to be around to protect her. You have to choose his final words to Clementine and every moment of it is agony. At the end, you're faced with what is possibly the hardest decision in gaming history. Do you put down the man who's journey you've been following since the start, preventing him from turning into a zombie but putting his blood on the hands of the one who you've been watching his relationship with grow for the whole 5 episodes, or do you not force that trauma onto Clementine but leave Lee to fall victim to the infection and become one of the zombies? It's easily the most heart-wrenching scene in all of video games, and I both look forward to and dread how Season 2's finale is going to try and top this.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 16:

The most tragic/saddest moment for me is the emotional journey of this poor soul:

maxresdefault.jpg

The Ancient Minister is following the orders of Tabuu, and causing villainy he does not wish to spread. He doesn't want to see his fellow ROBs destroyed, which he sees plenty of... When Ganondorf gives commands to detonate the Subspace bombs, the Ancient Minister tries to tell them to stop, to save their lives. This leads to Ganondorf ordering the ROBs to attack the Ancient Minister with lasers, ultimately setting him on fire. The Ancient Minister expresses no pain, no anger, just sorrow, and he faces the fact he failed to save the ROBs, and resulting in them turning against him...

For a story which has no spoken words, the Subspace Emissary really did show the tragic story of this character well through just video. It's quite an emotional journey for him, really.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 16-Most Tragic/Saddest Moment

11-franklin.gif

Battle against the "Masked Man"-MOTHER 3

By this time, you know who the Mask Man truly is, though you're likely to have a sneaking suspicion, it becomes reality when Flint tells Lucas that the servant of Porky is indeed Claus, the long lost brother and son. Porky turned him into a Chimera after he was killed by the Mech Drago at the beginning of the game, leaving him as a personal tool with no control over his own actions. What's really sad about it is that Claus remembers who he was as the battle goes on, and chooses to kill himself with his own PK Lightning attacks by bouncing it off Lucas' Franklin Badge. Hinawa's death at the beginning set the stage for this to be a more tragic story, and this is the culmination of it. It's sad enough to see the two brothers suffering through it, and the touching seen remembering the two's birth and Hinawa saying she will always love them, but this was originally going to be even more tragic. Give me a break, Itoi! My heart wouldn't have been able to take it!

• Thumbs Up 3

DAY 16 OF PRESIDENT CROW BEING SAD!

>posts favorite moment

>sad moment

>this day

Well fuck! So I'll have to go with...

image-thumb207_zps11474e92.png

Majority of Phantom Brave!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCt0jpP09yk

Alright so, Phantom Brave is one of the most heart rending games I've ever played, if not the most. I can't choose a specific moment in this game because it becomes super depressing a lot. It does get heartwarming to the point its sickening sweet.

Phantom Brave is about a girl named Marona who goes off and does odd jobs for people for money cause she has to pay rent for her island. But she lost her parents to war and her only friend was their friend, Ash who died with them and now lingers as a ghost and swore to protect Marona. Marona can see and confine phantoms which makes her shunned by everyone claiming that she's possessed. Nobody wants anything to do with her because of her powers. She just wants to make friends with everyone but everyone takes a shit on her in some way and she still goes on being optimistic about her situation. But again because everyone shits on Marona a lot that there's too many sad moments to list in this game.

Oh and if that isn't bad enough the updated re-release, Until We Meet Again, has an alternate storyline that starts off with every major character in the original story dying and going to Marona for help. So yeah that's Phantom Brave. I'd recommend it for the story but its pretty hard I have to admit. So yeah if you want sad and heartwarming moments, this is the game you wanna pick up. UNTIL NEXT TIEM SSMB!

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 16: Most tragic/saddest moments

Layton_No_Hat.png

Every Professor Layton end game ever

From Flora's lost father, to a father's lost daughter. From the anger and despair in Unwound Future, to the hope and love in Miracle Mask. From Loosha's sacrifice to Aurora's, Professor Layton never fails to make a tear well my eyes when I finish a game.

Curious Village's ending is touching because it shows that Flora's father cared so deeply for her, he created an entire world to entertain her, protect her, and, most importantly, to find a worthy replacement as her guardian. This is conveyed in a recording, making the scene even more touching. Then, when given the opportunity to take the promised treasure at the cost of shutting down the town permanently, Layton passes on the decision to Flora, who declines. Instead of choosing a life of riches and no worries, Flora decides that, even if they are artificial, the townspeople's lives and memories are far more important to her than any amount of gold or jewels in the world. And, after bidding every friend she has in the town farewell, Flora climbs into the Laytonmobile, and says goodbye to her little village.

Diabolical Box in my opinion had the least touching ending out of them all, due to the voice acting, but the box's secret, combined with the journal, was enough to make me at least feel sorry for the old guy, who lost his wife through a misunderstanding

The prequel trilogy has quite a few touching scenes, as well. In The Last Specter, Loosha, the last Plesiosaur on earth, helps her lifelong human friend find the cure to her impending death, all at the cost of her life, even after she struck Loosha out of confusion.

Miracle Mask finds Layton's long lost best friend, Randell, trying to destroy a childhood friend, Henry, after he found that he betrayed him, took his fame, and took his love, all while he was apparently dead. Later, though, he finds that it was all an elaborate lie, and that Henry actually preserved all that Randell cared for, in the hopes that, if there was any possibility, Randell would return to them one day. Almost like how Unwound Future's city was built on anger and dispair, this town was built on hope and love.

The Azran Legacy finds a single Azran survivor, Aurora, who has lost her memories, and sets out with Layton and Co. to reclaim them. Her story is a bit too complicated type in one paragraph, but think of Chip's story on steroids, and you get the jist of it.

And finally, Unwound Future's ending. I've already talked about this scene specifically, but Clair's goodbye scene is the crown jewel for gut-wrenching scenes in the series. Layton's been through a lot in life, learning how to deal with panic, fear, and sadness, and has taken a "Keep a clear head, and think rationally." stance on such situations. He's had to deal with losing his parents, his brother, his best friend, and his girlfriend all within the span of his childhood and collage years, and then finds that his long lost brother and father have turned bad. At this point, you'd think he'd crack; he'd finally shed a tear or two. He doesn't, though, and stays strong and rational throughout the entire series.

Until this scene. He's finally able to see someone he cared deeply for again, and she's going to slip right back to her death in a few moments. This was it; the straw that breaks the camel's back. He goes into a state of panic, claiming he can't go on without her. He's shouting at the top of his lungs. His eyes are welling up. It's too much for him to take. Clair calms him down. "I know you'll stay strong. After all, that's what a gentleman does." She turns away from him one last time, walks out of sight, and vanishes, right back to that day in time. Layton takes off his hat, looks up into the sky, and lets the tears finally roll down his face.

Dem feels.

Day 16: Complete

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 16: Most Tragic Moment 

Using this game again because fuck it.

Chapter 18 of Kid Icarus Uprising. 

Spoilers below

Now, this is the chapter where everything goes wrong for Pit. He's been inside a ring for three years while his goddess and her army (not to mention his body) disappeared for a while and then started attacking humans. He eventually manages to get his body back, only to realize that Lady Paluentea has turned her back on him! The world has pretty much gone to shit because of these events, with the humans being hunted by both the Underworld Army and Pit's goddess's army too! Very dark and sad for a lighthearted game like this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Christ dude, could you at least say when your spoiler takes place before dropping that huge bomb as the first thing you see in the spoiler tags?

To be fair, even I, the resident utter spoiler nazi around these parts, knows that if someone doesn't specify, you should assume they could be referring to anything from the entire game/series before opening. D=

• Thumbs Up 3