Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 19 - Favorite Antagonist

Tom Nook - Animal Crossing

Tom Nook is not an antagonist in the traditional sense. He's actually a pretty nice guy! However, if you've played Animal Crossing, you know that the first thing that happens is he immediately puts you in debt because you were stupid enough to walk into town without any money. Now you're stuck paying off that loan. Sure, you have no deadline, but dealing with that looming debt antagonizes me in a way unlike any other game I've played.

Once you pay it off, you think it's over. But, guess who does all the home renovations...?

It's an endless cycle.

Eesh, the lack of variety in antagonists people are talkin' about compared to protagonists just goes to show that good villains in games are kind of a rarity. Treasure your strong impactful villains, gamers of the world. Let them know they are wanted. Needed.

Day 19 - Favourite Villainous Cur

Actually, Eggman is the villain that gets the most joy from me because after all this time he's bringing character, vibrancy and humour to the Sonic games that even the protagonists won't bring, he's fantastic, but instead of talking about him I'm instead going to talk about a villain who impacts me, who is so amazingly smart and evil and dangerous that their actions not only drive the series into motion but also cause genuine hate, loathing, and admiration to well up from the player who's faced with them, because that is the kind of antagonist that impresses me, that I wish gaming had more of.

(Ace Attorney 3 spoilers ahead)

Dahlia.png

Dahlia Hawthorne - Ace Attorney series (particularly Trials and Tribulations)

Meet Dahlia Hawthorne, intimidating isn't she? Occupation: Calculating genius and generally outrageously evil individual from the age of 14 to 20 to beyond the grave. I'm not even sure where to begin with her, but I suppose I can begin by saying she, more or less, is the beginning, and the end. Most of the core protagonists of the Ace Attorney series; Phoenix Wright, Mia Fey, Maya Fey, Godot, have had their lives ruined at some point by this girl, and many many other characters have been traumatised or felt the butterfly effects of her actions, such as Miles Edgeworth, Pearl Fey, and.. well, practically everyone who has been involved with Mia or Phoenix at some point.

Dahlia is a special kind of murderer, having killed three people including herself (a death she faked at the age of 14) before she was ever arrested once. She then, despite overwhelming vocal proof that she was responsible for these murders (as well as theft) disposed of the decisive evidence needed to convict her and then killed again, allowing herself to roam free for almost another year. This amount of lies and manipulation wouldn't be possible if not for her "angelic" appearance, which causes most people she meets (and dates) to become convinced that she is incapable of ever doing wrong, Dahlia takes the old "femme fatale" trope to astounding new heights.

She's finally stopped when she tries to frame Phoenix Wright (her boyfriend at the time) for a murder she committed (once again to cover her long tracks of murder and other crimes) and is prevented by Mia Fey, causing Phoenix to become severely depressed but ultimately being the final thing he needed to push him into the field of law.

I actually couldn't possibly go into detail about how much Dahlia Hawthorne's actions have influenced the course of the entire series, but it's safe to say that depite only appearing in Ace Attorney 3, she has a butterfly effect (butterflies are always flittering around her too, hmm) on the entirety of the original trilogy, and of course characters like Phoenix and Edgeworth go on to use those experiences to motivate them in future series entries too.

Oh yeah, and another reason Dahlia is so frickin terrifying, even after being given the death sentence and most characters think everything she's done is finally over, she literally kills again by possessing the living and continuing to try ruining the lives of Phoenix Wright and the Fey family. Cool.

This antagonist is the main reason I would ask those who only played the first Ace Attorney game to seriously consider at least finishing the original trilogy. It's a heckuva ride.

Honourable mentions (and I'm honestly surprised that many of these haven't shown up in peoples' posts yet):

• I was going to write about Yuki Terumi - BlazBlue but others already did, he's an amazing villain though, it was a very hard choice between him and my own pick.
  • Eggman - Sonic series
  • Hades - Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • Giygas - EarthBound(/Mother series)
  • Descole - Professor Layton series
  • Kefka - Final Fantasy VI
  • the mastermind from Dangan Ronpa who is a spoiler but if you've finished Dangan Ronpa then you know who I mean

RoboRick and Krockhead pretty much covered it all, but K. Rool is my favourite antagonist. His comedy, his personality disorder, his bloodshot eye, the gameplay when fighting him, the way his aspirations elevate in between DKC and Jungle Climber... I love the guy.

I can understand his looks seeming generic, but his personality is fantastic. He'd definitely be up there with Eggman and Bowser if he appeared more often.

Day 19 - Favourite "Don't worry NInja, this guy will show you how a real pro does things~" Antagonist

KamekSW2YI.png

No other choice fits better for me than Kamek from Yoshi's Island, and its for a very simple reason. Presence.

Throughout the entire game, Kamek is a constant thorn in your side every step of the way. His Toadies are constantly lying in wait for the moment Yoshi drops Baby Mario, ready to whisk him away before you can even retaliate, and in Boss Fights, he personally arrives and tells Yoshi its pointless to continue as he powers up the minion before siccing it on him.

Generally I prefer this approach with an antagonist, compared to say Bowser or Dr. Wily who sic the minions on you from afar then only show up near the end game. It gives you a sense of personal stake on the their part and makes them appear far more active in their plots, instead of like they're off doing their own thing and just waiting for the hero to foil their schemes and beat them up.

I also appreciate that aspect in Eggman's classic appearances, and wish he would do that a bit more in some of the more recent games :V.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 19: Favorite Antagonist

367px-Doctor_Eggman_2.png343px-Metal_Sonic_(SMUS_Series).png

Dr. Eggman and Metal Sonic are my favorite antagonists. One being the evil genius hellbent on world domination and the other was built by said evil genius and is determined to defeat his ultimate rival, Sonic once and for all.

Eggman is a great antagonist due to all the crazy mechs he builds seemingly out of thin air. With an I.Q of 300, it always makes me wonder where he gets all the metal and resources to build all of his machines and fortresses. But his genius is always foiled by Sonic, even when Eggman summons unworldly beasts such as Dark Gaia and Perfect Chaos or charges up giant space cannons. Dr. Eggman always has a lot of tricks up his sleeve, even when he fakes fear when being confronted by Super Sonic. There's always a trap he lays out beforehand.

Metal Sonic is another awesome antagonist because of his relentlessness to defeat Sonic so Eggman can rule the world without hassle. He has had some pretty awesome transformations like in Sonic Heroes where Metal Sonic transforms into Metal Madness and then Metal Overlord (so many spikes lol). His Neo form makes him look intimidating as well.

One feature that puts Metal Sonic at an equal advantage against Sonic is his ability to copy Sonic's moves, just like Emerl. He can match his moves to near identical speeds and agility as Sonic. But if Sonic isn't quick enough, he could end up in trouble.

Day 19: Favourite Antagonist

Ganondorf_(The_Wind_Waker).png

Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)

Among all the incarnations of the titular antagonist in the series, Ganondorf from The Wind Waker is possibly the deepest in terms of characterization as well as a clear background and motive for his villainy. While in Ocarina of Time we saw a Ganondorf in hunger to conquer Hyrule by the power of the Triforce, the newly established timeline given in The Wind Waker broaden up the reasons for such desire, which was the contrast between the arduous life of his people in the harsh Gerudo Desert and the amendable life of the Hylians from verdant landscape of Hyrule Field.

Aside from this, The Wind Waker gave another twist on his characterization to the point of turning Ganondorf into a villain to even sympathise with; he was a man who desired to bring the good ol' Hyrule back to the surface, a land he greatly misses and feels nostalgic for it, and therefore would do anything to bring it back, even with the use of the Triforce. As mentioned before, being raised and living in the harsh Gerudo Desert gave Ganondorf a sense of desire to claim Hyrule's properous land in the past, and in his depiction shown in The Wind Waker, he still seeks to claim what he desired a long time ago. Throughout the game we see Ganondorf's determination to accomplish such desire to bring things back to what they were, back to the good ol' days (and of course done to his own evil scheme), but such dream is shattered by Link.

Such sympathy is what really gives this version of Ganondorf a bigger appeal to me in comparison to other incarnations in the series; while his actions to bring Hyrule back to the surface and claim it for himself as he long desired are still from evil deed, you can't help but feel bad for ultimately ending up his dream. Aside from his characterization depth, his design as depicted above makes him look so badass.

(Post finished, but I'll have to do an introduction and a few honourable mentions later on I'm afraid) .w.

• Thumbs Up 5

Damon Gant is an asshole. That's clear from the very second you first meet him, because something about his just tells you that the big, boisterous nice guy persona he has is a facade; and usually when people dramatically overcompensate like that it is because they are assholes. And even without that in mind, you do seem to notice that he pops up just to disrupt whatever is going on in your investigation. And, really, who better to be the main antagonist in a murder trial than a chief of police?

That's not what pushes him over the edge, though.

Joedarke.png

This is Joe Darke. In story, he was a notorious serial killer who died in the police station after being brought in for routine questioning. Their really is no doubt he did it, and the game actually sets it up (successfully!) that his conviction of the murder of a police officer really wasn't too bad for the greater good. And then you gradually uncover what the "greater good" was.

First, it appears that Gant merely fabricated evidence to strengthen the case against him. Then, after continuously more investigation, it appears as if the reason Gant fabricated evidence was to protect the clients sister, who appears to actually have been he one to kill the police officer on accident. This seems rather sketchy, but it does explain why your client has been so desperate to keep you from taking her case, particularly with how strongly you've been hiding it. Then... well, you start to become aware that something far more sinister than that was the case.

Namely, that Gant came in the room and found Darke and the police officer unconscious, then killed the police officer himself to frame Darke. Then framed the client's sister for it so he could have her in his pocket as head prosecutor, firstly being to shut the case down so the other officer's don't get suspicious. Then he killed another police officer when he just couldn't let the "solution" to the case go.

And what does he do, when his insanely complicated scheme (including an attempt to frame the player!) falls apart due directly to his hubris in court?

Gant_Breakdown_2.gif

No humility. No shame. He laughs. He laughs so hard that emulators have difficulty keeping up with the sprite changes. Then his only lament is that he didn't do a good enough job to stop the police from reopening the original case on their own time. He sincerely believed that the means he took to achieve his goal (a guilty verdict for Joe Darke) were justified by the importance of the goal, far more than any other similar character in the series.

• Thumbs Up 8

Day 20 - Favorite Side Character

240px-Aigis_render.png

Aigis - Persona 3

Kind of cheating here, as she later became the protagonist herself in an extra section included in the rerelease of the game, but... I never played that! Don't plan to either, The Answer looks lame anyway.

Gonna be hard to write a lot today. I haven't played Persona 3 in years, so it's not really fresh in my mind anymore, and I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment. Aigis was just a genuinely pleasant character to me, especially by the end. I cared a lot about her progression as a character, and I found her dialogue to be very heartfelt and at times touching. Some of the more intimate scenes with her, in particular the closing shot of the game, really resounded with me and I enjoyed getting to see all of these sides to her personality. She's nice, her Social Link is interesting, she's useful in battle, and she's important to the plot.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 20: Favourite Side Characters

LOL, now I see why you told me to change my answer for favourite protagonists Discoid. I've now pretty much already answered this question in the past. Copy and paste time! I guess I'll add some new lines to freshen the post up a bit.

daily.jpg

Rosalina, from Super Mario Galaxy

Rosalina is by far my favourite character in the Mario series. Main reason is probably her origin story. It is sad, and very well developed and really makes you give a damn about her, which is quite surprising coming from a main series Mario game as I would've expected something like this from the RPG spinoffs.

I also really like her design...particularly her hair, lol. She also gets extra points for not being kidnapped once and destroying Bowser's entire space fleet with her cosmic powers. She doesn't piss about when stuff gets serious that's for sure. She's more Zelda and less Peach, and I love that.

The creatures she hangs around with, the Lumas, are also insanely cute too. 

Alvin.png

Alvin, from Tales of Xillia

Alvin is definitely the most interesting character in the team IMO. That's not to say that the rest of the characters are bad though. He's not such a goody two shoes, but he's not all bad either, making him an antihero basically...then again he is a mercenary after all.

He's a man of many secrets and had to do many bad things during his childhood to keep himself and his mother alive. He's got quite a sad back story really but I don't want to get into details. I'll just say that a certain incident screwed him and his mother big time

...and killed his father in the process.

Probably the main thing what I like about him is his personality. He gets serious when he needs to, but most of the time he cracks a ton of innuendo-filled jokes (the kind of jokes which I tend to use a lot of, lol).

His fighting style consists of switching between a large sword and a pistol. His sword also has the ability to charge, which in turn increases the power of some of his moves and even create new ones as well as grant him vastly increased defence, which I think is a pretty cool attribute to have with your weaponry. 

This guy has quite a lot of problems though, ESPECIALLY when it comes to trust. He's quite the sly bastard and you really never know what goes on in his head, but that also makes him even more interesting.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 20: Favorite Side Character

*looks at previous two entries*

*sigh* may as well.

Tails_Miles_Power.png

Tails is not only capable of incredible speeds like Sonic, but with the added skill of flight and being a genius mechanic, he's definitely got more than enough to set him apart.

He's also one of the few characters in Sonic to see some consistent development across the series - starting out as a shy and naive child, growing into a more confident sidekick, and then gaining independence and forging a strong bond with Sonic that allows him to even knock him down a peg on occasion, showing him to be equal with him in many respects.

His love for machines and technical gear makes him a valuable asset to Sonic's team, and most importantly, he looks so darn cute. I mean, come on, guys, look at him!!

Classic_tails.png

d'awwwww

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 20: Favourite Side Character

I would say Tails, but I'm not sure whether he could qualify as a main or not. Eh well, I'll go with him anyway since he is pretty much a side character nowadays.

Sonicchannel_tails_cg.png

He's a fox with two limbed tails. How is that not interesting (and slightly grotesque)? In terms of personality, in the Adventure. (And arguably the classics) games he was always living in Sonic's shadow, and saw Sonic as his hero ad idol. He wanted to be just like him, but towards the end of Adventure 1, he realised that he had to be himself. He may not have Sonic abilities, but he has his on abilities which have not only saved Sonic in the past, but beaten him too (see Tails' stages in Adventure where you race him). Not to mention his technical expertise which directly rivals Doctor Eggman's intellect.

Without Tails, Sonic would probably be dead.

Day 20! Favourite side character!

Ohhhh..this is a toughie. See, unlike protagonists and antagonists there's a lot more side characters that I like and it's difficult for me to choose a favourite. So here's a small selection (though you could say the one I mention first is my favourite of all XP).

And it's Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy!

MKXL_Rosalina.png

Best. Mario character. Ever. I love her design, which makes her look more mature and graceful compared to the other female characters in the series. Her hair is a lovely blond colour, easy on the eyes compared to Peach's bright yellow locks. But what I like most about her is her personality and her surprisingly tragic backstory. Rosalina is serious and quiet but she's very kind too and cares a lot for her children, the Lumas. She's also one of the few Mario characters not from an RPG that has a backstory which is very bittersweet and, to this day, still makes me want to cry. Because of this, I think she's one of the more interesting and charismatic Mario characters in the game, together with Luigi and Wario.

250px-Medli_The_Wind_Waker_HD.png

Awwww Medli from Wind Waker. <3 She's so cute, probably one of the sweetest and cutest Legend of Zelda side characters in the series. A young female Rito, bird like people from Death M--I mean Dragon Roost Island, she's awfully wise and polite to our main hero Link. She also ends up being a great companion later on the game when she finds out her destiny is to become a Sage at the Earth Temple and helps Link get through the Earth Temple with her feathery wings and magical harp! Oh, and she can speak Ancient Hylian. That's pretty cool!

2418981-drippy.png

Mr Drippy from Ni no Kuni is another great side character I have recently fallen in love with. Not only is the guy strangely adorable (cuteness is always an important factor for me!), but he's got a great personality and is probably the funniest character in the entire game. His Welsh accent is an unusual choice, but it surprisingly works and adds to his character. He's loud, a bit rude at times but still very funny and helpful, even in battle! He can heal you with his special ability Tidy Tears, or throws orbs into the battlefield to heal or replenish your magic. If there ever was a sequel to Ni no Kuni, I would anticipate the Lord High Lord of the Fairies and his other Fairy friends return!

My other obvious choice for favourite side character is Knuckles the echidna, but most of you already know what I think of him; he's awesome, strong, independent, hotheaded, gullible but cool! He's great...up until the point they ruined his character anyway. =P

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 20

Tsubaki_Yayoi_%28Continuum_Shift%2C_CharTsubaki_Yayoi_(Chronophantasma,_Characte

Izayoi_%28Chronophantasma%2C_Character_S

Though most likely a deuteragonist to Jin's protagonist in the next BlazBlue, Tsubaki is a side character to develop Jin, Noel and Makoto. She's a girl that values justice and order (and even fangasms over Hakumen) to the point where she became blinded by the Librariums Imperator. She's a close friend to the other 3 named characters, she has a deep crush for Jin Kisaragi, who is her childhood friend. She's also a close friend to her ex-roommates, Noel Vermillion and Makoto Nanaya, and often acts as the voice of reason in them.

So why do I like her? Simple. She's fucking adorable, especially in japanese. Not only does she always refer to Jin as "Jin nii-sama" (big brother Jin), but her voice actress, Asami Imai, makes her voice incredibly cute or heartrending whenever she's distraught or flustered. I always have Tsubaki on as my System Voice on ChronoPhantasma, even though I also bought Jins. Just hearing her say "Jin nii-sama!" when I choose Jin as my character warms my heart.

Another reason is because she starts out as a misled character and goes in deep after failing to kill Jin and Noel as ordered by the Librarium and breaking down. The Imperator controls her mind and she becomes a complete enemy. And becomes Jin's main conviction in the game, unlike "rawr kill nii-san" in CT/CS. He eventually saves her and they become "partners" for the Power of Order. While Jin still contains it, Tsubaki has pretty much become his "second sword".

Arc stop toying with my feelings and let them get romantic

Tsubaki_Yayoi_%28Chronophantasma%2C_Arca

• Thumbs Up 1

Favorite side character ?

sonic_chronicles_conceptart_m2eLD.jpg

Anyone who knows me know that I like Big the Cat. He's calm, not easily bothered, has a heart of gold and always wants to help. His animations in the first Sonic All Stars Racing are priceless. Watch him on his little motorcycle, falling asleep and suddenly waking up. That one made me laugh so much ^^ I don't get the hate on this character. What, he's slow ? Fat ? Simple ? That's part of his charm. He's not a Sonic clone, he's very unique.

I also like the fact that he's now part of the Freedom Fighters in Archie. And he still has some presence in Sonic the Comic Online.

SLY_Dimitri.jpg

Dimitri Lousteau, from the Sly Cooper series.

Fallen artist who turned to crime, Dimitri was defeated by Sly and his gang. After that, he became an ally of the Cooper gang and has proven himself very useful, to the point that Sly trusted him and asked him to keep an eye on the Thievus Raccoonus during the events of Thieves in Time. I like his design and his personality. He has quite a catchy theme song in Sly 2 too :P

• Thumbs Up 4

this is easy, it has to be

Ganondorf (Wind Waker)

I really love this take on the classic Legend of Zelda villain. In Wind Waker he has so much more personality than the typical Ganondorf and he was pulling the strings the whole time, a part of the plot for the whole game, not just at the end. I just find him so much more interesting and believable as a character, he has believable motives and is much more complex than other incarnations

Day 20: Favorite Side Character

This one is much harder but I think I am going to have to say

Issun The Wandering Artist

Issun is just a great side character, he is immature, childish, and lacks respect. However his dialogue is always funny. But my favorite thing about him is how you learn more and more about your faithful companion throughout the story. Where he came from, why he ran away, why he is traveling with you. But he has some amazing characterization throughout the story as you see him grow and mature and he becomes less of a nuisance and much more of a valued friend.

Honorable mentions

Waka - he is mysterious and outlandish, but you cant help but love him

Falco - The ace pilot of team starfox, so unbelievably cocky, the banter between him and fox is golden.

Blaze - sort of a side character and sort of a potag (in one story of two games). I just love her personality and the growth she went through

Rosalina - The best princess in my opinion, i find her a lot more interesting and her story is just heartbreaking.

Favorite side character...well, it was a close race, but I had to give it to this guy:

532102.jpg

Jerry (Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door)

Yes, Jerry. If you've only casually played the game, you might not remember encountering this fellow, but he was one of Luigi's partners from his truly epic side adventure. Why would I pick a character that has SUCH a minor role in the grand scheme of things when there are hundreds of other side characters who've done more? Well, Jerry wins just for his motivation. Listen to this:

"Hi, I guess. I'm Jerry. I'm a Bob-omb from Plumpbelly Village. Nice to meet you. Sorry I sound so down, but you would be too if you saw Luigi dressed as a bride. I'm serious. It scared me. It was honestly scarier than that giant snake-thing. I feel I now have a moral duty to stop Luigi from ever dressing as a bride again. I have to protect the world from my fate. That's why I'm sticking close to this guy."

Give this guy a medal.

Honorable mentions:

2yys5zb.jpg

The Zeekeeper (Mario & Luigi: Dream Team)

This guy was pretty much my favorite side character from Dream Team simply because of how he acts given his position. As the ancient, divine protector of an entire island with PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS at his disposal, he should be the most wise being in the game, right? WRONG! Dude is a lazy, greedy slob who only decides to help you when you grease his palm with a couple thousand coins. I love how he turns the trope of an ancient, all-powerful god completely on its head. What really makes it work is how the game builds him up to be something SUPER ULTRA AMAZING, but then you get THAT. Suffice it to say, I laughed every time he was on screen.

1znsmcl.jpg

Cranky Kong (Donkey Kong Country Series)

Couldn't let this question pass without giving a nod to this guy. The original Donkey Kong reduced to a curmudgeonly old codger by time, Cranky introduced probably the first bits of actual humor that I had ever seen in a video game. His rants about the good old days and how rubbish these new-fangled games are both in the games AND manuals never fail to make me laugh and his recent upgrade to playable status has only made me love him more. Now why hasn't he been in Mario Kart? HE'S GOT OLD HIGH SCORES TO SETTLE, DAGNABBIT!

• Thumbs Up 7

Day 20 - Favourite Side Character

Hey ho! Let's go!

Once again, a few notable mentions:

Mr Drippy, Ni No Kuni - This guy's name is possibly someone's pet-name for their schlong, and he is a terrible Welsh stereotype, but all the same compared to the rest of his Fairy folk he is pretty bad ass. He helps the wizard Oliver to find his courage and restore people's broken hearts, fight nightmares and stand up to the wizard Shadar. Also his back story is pretty cute. :3

Ms Bonnie McFarlane, RDR - the first character you help, in return for saving your life ("It cost fifteen dollars!!") Ms McFarlane is a woman making her way in a man's world, but she still cares deeply for her Paw, his ranch and their horses. I kinda feel sorry for her since she obvies has the hots for John Marston, but he's a married man! :D

Adewale, AC IV Black Flag - a recent entry, this pirate-turned-Assassin has an interesting story, first becoming Kenway's Quartermaster (after nicking the Jackdaw in the middle of a hurricane no less!) where he gets to yell at a bunch of brawny drunk white men but later starts to question his Captain's quest. It's pretty awesome that he, as well as Aveline de Grandpre gets a playable story.

but if I said anything else for this entry, I'd be lying;

Amy Rose

c16e6143-a985-4fa7-883d-2d925a9de9fd_zps

D'aaaawww isn't she cute?!

I don't want to repeat everything I said about her in the 30 Days O'Sanics  thread so I'll be brief; Amy Rose is pretty much a cheerleader for the Sonic boys. She always sees the good in people such as surly old farts like Shadow, always sees the positive side in a terrible situation such as when Professor Pickle started to despair at the end of Unleashed and most of all she wuvs Sonic! :D

Although her first appearance involves her kidnap at the shiny point hands of Metal Sonic, in her next appearance of Sonic Adventure she has grown up and decided to be more independent. She is now adept at using her massive hammer and can strike fear into her enemies! XD

Amy is wonderful, it's just a shame she isn't always utilised well. Thank goodness for STC!

• Thumbs Up 3

Did someone page the King of Awesome!?

Bowser_HUGE.png

Eeyup. Fucking Bowser. He's pretty much among the most entertaining, yet completely badass antagonists to date. Why is Bowser so awesome? 

Well for starters, he doesn't give two shits about your opinion; he'll do what he wants when he wants and you'll have to deal with that shit, or get rekt by his punch of death. Bowser takes absolutely no type of crap, when he says he is going to accomplish something, he damn well goes through with it, even if he gets smacked down hard along the way. He lives in what is essentially hell, fire and brimstone all around and doesn't give a single type of fuck about it. 

And if that's not enough, despite his status as the villain, he's actually a pretty good leader. If you play the RPG's, you find out that his army don't follow him out of fear, but out of genuine respect and admiration for his personality. And even when they constantly fuck up, or even in one case, betray him completely, Bowser is always willing to take his minions back and looks out for them. 

Bowser is arguably the most complex character in the Mario series, and is why he gets my vote for best antagonist.

As for today's question....as much as I want to post one of my many waifu's, I wanna see if I can be a bit more creative.

I love Cranky Kong. He's like an in-game personification of Rare employee Leigh Loveday. He's hilarious, his breaking of the fourth wall is fantastic, I love his backstory, I think he's just a perfect character. He's part of the reason I am the way I am today.

The game manuals are fantastic because they're all written by Cranky himself. "You're only reading this because you're bored!"

In the GBA remakes he'll even criticize lazy design choices. "It's just like the old days, reusing the boss, changing its color and pretending it is completely new."

What a fantastic character.

D20, Favorite Side Character

Toad_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_Land.png

Toad from Super Mario

And not just any Toad, the RED SPOTTED TOAD. The one from Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario Galaxy/3D World as Captain Toad. I dont know why, but I love this little guy. He needs more credibility. His role has been REPLACED by Toadsworth in New Super Mario Bros and I didn't really like that. Also , am I the only one who doesn't get bothered by Toad telling the you the princess is in another castle? Like, seriously, does no one care about his safety either? 

This is difficult because blah blah blah no favourite blah blah if I pick one blah blah...

King_Dedede_for_SSB4.png

"Ah need an answer to clobbah dat dere question!"

I'd say Dedede is the best example of a side character that comes to mind, since these days he's not really an antagonist. He's just such a good character to watch - a fat lazy selfish penguin king who's basically authority in name alone and wields a fucking giant mallet. That just oozes charm, and I can't help but love his Foghorn Leghorn voice in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!. It just suits him well. He's also got a memorable theme song and his facial animations in SSB Wii U/3DS are priceless.

screen-10.jpg

"Hehehehehe! Hail to the king, bebeh!"

• Thumbs Up 3

5kw1.png

...I already used Luigi for a fave protagonist so this is kinda cheating.

But no, here I refer to Luigi specifically in the context of the Paper Mario games!

Luigi's role in Paper Mario and Paper Mario TTYD is entirely aesthetic, there's no gameplay about it - but I always catch up with him after every chapter even though I've played so many many times.  What he gets up to while Mario goes on his adventures is so cute in Paper Mario, and so funny in Paper Mario TTYD.  He also had a significantly awesome role in Super Paper Mario, though I'd consider him a main character in that as a result.

To rattle off a few other side characters I like a lot that sprung to mind:

Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy

Dr. Kleiner and Eli Vance from Half-Life 2 and its episodes

Jorji from Papers Please

Tatl from Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Midna from Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (apparently I like my Zelda assistant characters abusive huh)

Princess Daisy from the Mario series generally

King Dedede from the Kirby series

Zeno, Echo, Lisa, Quna and Casra from Phantasy Star Online 2

• Thumbs Up 1

Rats...I missed yesterday's post. Ah well...I'll give my late input regardless.

Favorite Antagonist

Qwark_wink.jpg

CAAAAPTAAAAAAAIN QUAAAAAAAARK! 

Wait a minute you say, isn't he a hero? Or at least wasn't he a butt monkey side character in the recent games? Welp...not in Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando.

Instead of choosing the "bad ass, dark, gritty, moral-clashing" villain route, I'll opt for a lighter tone yet still quite evil antagonist. I was young when I played Going Commando, so I didn't see that the man himself was the mastermind behind the whole game masquerading as Mr. Fizzbizzinglytaculouswidget (forgive me). Those random movies Ratchet and Clank watches aboard the ship when flying to the next destination gave us a nice side story of what happened to the huge green man after the events of the first game. In hindsight, a twist like this should've been obvious but the subversion that Angela wasn't the bad guy was extremely surprising nonetheless.

So Quark acting as the antagonist of this game...he himself barely has any screentime until the end of the game with his reveal. He hired Thugs-4-Less as they betrayed their contract with Angela, he released a massive horde of carnivorous little pom pom creatures onto a planet, and plotted a way to get rid of Ratchet and Clank once for all so he could reclaim his former undeserved glory. He pulled a lot of stuff behind the curtain, and I gotta commend him for it despite being him being somewhat dimwitted and weak person. He's also very hilarious too (especially that unfortunate end he gets), which is a huge plus for me.

alright with that out of the way, here's my

Favorite Side Character

This is quite hard to pick, but I'll go with...

180px-Bow.png

I really like her design, as it just oozes elegance and beauty. For a lady of her stature, she is not above getting her...uh...ghastly hands dirty and joining Mario on his quest to save the Mushroom Kingdom. I love her sophisticated and polite dialogue, especially when it comes out as a form of an insult. When she asks to join the party, I declined like the gentleman I am. But of course, she has none of that and forces her way into the party (a fate you can't control) which is hilarious. Not only that, but she is quite useful as a party member with that one-turn invulnerability and her multi-lady pimp slap/fan smack barrage. It's also quite nice to have a typical Mario enemy as your ally, a Boo in this case. Boos are pretty cool and cute at times when they hide their face. I don't recall Bow ever doing that, but oh well what can you do. Her cameo in the Thousand Year Door was a nice touch, with her of course visiting one of the most richest and extravagant areas in the game. 

A runner up, I think, goes to Pennington which is a minor character I think but one that was most memorable and prevalent in one of the chapters of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

Pennington.PNG

He's just so quirky and quite unconvincing as a detective despite his character design and his form of speech. I can't get mad at him for taking the credit when Mario solved all the mysteries on the train with zero help from the bumbling self-proclaimed detective, but he's just so dorky and hilarious nonetheless. Isn't that right, Luigi?

paper_mario_panic_animation_2_by_creepyp

• Thumbs Up 3

Huh y'know, I totally forgot about GLaDOS when I made my antagonist post. It wouldn't have changed who I picked though. *shrug*

Day 20: Fav. Side Character -

9ERg0aE.png

Etna - Disgaea Series + a couple of others

I don't usually use my own art for this, but seeing as how it was the most recently finished piece, I figured "Why not?" If you don't happen to know, Etna is on the right. Laharl is in the center, he was one of my picks for favourite protagonist.

Some of the things I said about Eggman can also be said about Etna. Shes the Overlords Vassal, but also has ambitions of her own, and has no problem using anyone or any method to get what she wants, that includes Overlord Laharl. She's also cunning, devious and mischievous, as well as being pretty and sexy. Wait, did I say that about Eggman?? I think I should have! Damn!!

etna-disgaea-anime-4240621-800-600.jpg

A-Anyway...

She also seems to have a complex about her chest, or lack there of. (By know you must've noticed that the similarity between Eggman and her are over.) Which I find both adorable and a shame. She's perfect the way she is in my opinion, and although she does often display self-confidence, the second a chest of any kind is mentioned, she'll lose her cool.

Not that it takes much doing, she can be very quick to anger. But it's usually the Prinnys at the brunt of that. Prinnys are human criminals, reincarnated to the Netherworld (And various other places.) to work off there original sins until they can be reborn again. So when you think about it, the Prinnys kinda have it coming, dood.

Even though she has ambitions of her own, it has to be said that the times she'd had a leadership role...have not really been that successful. The secret Etna mode on the port of the original Disgaea, what happened to her in Disgaea 2 and how she failed in both Cross Edge and Trinity Universe are all evidence of a lack of leadership ability. In the end she ends up joining a team and sorta becoming a vassal once again.

It certainly adds a sense of realism to her character as the road in life is not always paved with success. And she just gets on with it, rather then letting it bother her.

DD2_Etna_Sprite.png

She was also technically in charge during the Prinny games, as Laharl was a Prinny at the time. But she didn't really do much but give orders to the Prinnys briefly, then going off to do random things like playing her Slaystation 3 or watching TV. It's true that she is lazy and her main vassals, the Prinnys, are also lazy, so things are bound to kick off.

She has a major sweet tooth and likes to keep a hidden stash of candy goodness, even though they have been stolen on many occasions. She's had to deal with a lot of thefts actually. Usually, it tends to be Laharl that's the sweet thieving criminal and will often suffer greatly for it. But he didn't steal her panties, that was somebody else.

For all her rough extremities, she does care deep down but is unlikely to show it. Or just shows it in her own way. For example, she was being tough on Laharl when he was a Prinny to help speed alone the process so he could get his body back. Even after a major debacle like at the end of Prinny 2, she treated the squad to a trip to the hot springs. And showing deep regret at her actions at the end of the Etna mode story.

All bow before Beauty Queen Etna!

6319psp.jpg