Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 23: Favorite Song

Rusty Ruin Act 2 (Sonic 3d Blast Saturn Version)

This song is simply epic and atmospheric. It delivers with an adventurous tone, much like Kiah's favorite version, but then there's the chorus, which is the icing on the cake. It's my favorite song ever in video gaming. I can just imagine someone on an epic trek in this, with boundless possibilities. I don't think it will ever be topped.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 23 - Favorite Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiKMzXwOH-E

MEMORIES OF YOU - PERSONA 3

Lawdy, I love this song so much.

I want to save my gushing about Persona 3's ending for another time, but this is the credits song that plays during said ending, and it is perfect. It perfectly captures the emotions of the grand finale and it sounds just plain beautiful. As you listen to it during the credits, you really do look back on your experience and realize you just went through something big. It just gives you that fantastic feeling.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 23: Favourite Song

Boss Themes - Metal Gear Rising

Metal Gear Rising has some of the best boss themes I've ever heard. They're so catchy, have awesome dubsteps noises and guitars and they're all around a delight to listen to.

Pretty much every song in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

I can name so many songs from Tropical Freeze that I just LOVE. The soundtrack is half the reason I bought the game in the first place! I love, Sawmill Thrill, Wind Ding, Grassland Groove, Bobab Bonanza, Canon Canyon, Deep Keep, Amiss Abyss, High Tide Ride, Irate Eight, Jam Jam Smash, Twilight Terror, Punch Bowl, Lockjaw's Saga, Homecoming Hijinx, Aquaduct Assault, Harvest Hazards and Seashore War! I listed off like half the soundtrack because I just love it that much. They're catchy, can be very atmospheric and I could listen to them over and over again. David Wise did an AMAZING job with it and he better come back to do more Nintendo games. Whatever the man is getting payed ITS NOT ENOUGH.

Many, MANY Sonic songs

You can't NOT mention Sonic in a favourite music list. It can't be done. There are waaay too many songs in the entire franchise to list, but my favourite overall soundtracks are from Adventure 1, Lost World and Unleashed.

Mini Boss theme - Wind Waker

I love this mini boss theme. It captures the epic feeling of The Wind Waker pretty well.

• Thumbs Up 1

*takes deep breath* Oh man. Honestly, I've been kind of dreading this question. Not because I hate music in video games - quite the exact opposite, in fact. But therein lies the problem. I might like gaming music a bit... too much for me to pick just a single 'favorite song'. Or heck, even a favorite soundtrack. Yeah, sucks, I know.

*sighs*

It took me a bit to figure out how to go about answering this, since I really don't think I can pick just one song. ^^;; But, I've come to a bit of a, how should I put this, compromise with myself. See, it's actually not all that difficult to pick favorites from just one general video game. So, that's what I've done - I've compiled a small list of games that I find have especially memorable soundtracks and have picked my one favorite from each of them. So, without further ado, and in no particular order, let's begin;

1) Underground Theme  - Yoshi's Island: I've already mentioned this song a couple other times I brought up this game in this topic, but my love of it bears repeating - the Underground Theme is a lovely, if not somber, piece of music that really brings out the mood in the levels it is presented, which is the cavern levels most often.

2) Supporting Me  - Sonic Adventure 2: I'm pretty sure I've mentioned somewhere on this forum at least once that this song is my favorite of the Sonic series. It's a rather 'dark' song for something like Sonic, but then again, SA2 does have one of the darker stories of the series. But hey, I absolutely love the lyrics and I find them to be most fitting to the song's tune.

3) Jungle Joyride Night - Sonic Unleashed: Put simply, if 'Supporting Me' didn't exist, this would be my favorite song in the Sonic franchise. As it is though, this piece of music is a very close second and my favorite song in Unleashed, due to it's ambient nature, invoked by various instruments. The violins make it especially good.

4) Go! Mario! Go!  (Lava Piranha Phase 2 version)Paper Mario: Yes, I know, everyone else prefers the Koopa Bros. boss theme. And while that one is certainly a damn good song... I dunno, I just prefer this one slightly over it. Coming after you initially believe the boss to be beat, it gives off a good 'shit's gettin' real vibe'. Love it.

5) Champion Battle - Pokemon HeartGold/Soul Silver:  The original version presented in Gen 2 was already damn good, but the remakes managed to make this even more epic. Very fitting of the champion battle.

6) Investigation ~ Core - Phoenix Wright; Ace Attorney: Let me get one thing straight. I hate songs with overly repetitive tunes. Like, I really, really  hate them, finding them poor, uncreative attempts at 'music',not to mention annoying as all hell. Ace Attorney, however, has a soundtrack with such songs in which I find the stark contrast of. And 'Investigation ~ Core' is a fine piece of music and one of the most catchy songs I've had the pleasure of listening to in a video game.

There are more songs I could list, but it's getting kind of late for me. ^^;; With that said, farewell until tomorrow's question.

And yes, I have a weird thing for 'dark and somber' music. ;P

This is most disturbing. 

Favorite Song: Jet Set Radiooooooooo! (Both Games)

JSR is a real cool game, but I really love the soundtrack. It's catchy, and it's got a great remix-y, stylish sound to it. I often get the tracks stuck in my head, and they're great for listening to while doing anything. Sonic Rush has a similarly great soundtrack. I'm not very good at describing why I like JSR's music, so instead here are three of my favorite songs from the series: 

-Sneakman [JSR] (Posted Above)

-Up-Set Attack [JSR]

-Teknopathic [JSRF]

Favorite SONG!!!

well, let me tell ya, as a music fan, this is a hard one to narrow down. so let me choose a few of my favorites :)

Gerudo valley! this song has been one of my favorite songs forever! I love it!!

City escape: this reminds me of my first days of sonic fandom!

here are a few of my faves :)

Day 23: Favorite Soundtracks

I adore video game music. To ridiculous extents. Some of the people these companies hire are musical geniuses; masters of capturing emotion and catchy sounds. Basically, you're in for a lot of these.

Sonic CD is my favorite game soundtrack. Naofumi Hataya and Masafumi Ogata completely dominated in the making of this. It almost single-handedly introduced electronic and house sounds to Japanese audiences, and mixed it all with jazz fusion, funk and 80s pop and hip-hop elements. It's hectic, sample-crazy, so catchy, and MAN it DEFINES the sound of Sonic. The harmonies and chord progressions in this game are beyond my comprehension, man. Real talk, this OST rocks.

Kirby 64 might be the most melodic and musically varied of the Kirby soundtracks, and they have such a distinctive sound. Those new N64 soundfonts blend seamlessly with the older, adorable SNES and NES Kirby sounds... and the whole OST is robust, to say the least. I love how nearly every song goes out of it's way to have a "breakdown" area where the music intensifies. It's something that makes it stand out from the other Kirbys.

EarthBound / MOTHER2. Haha, you knew it was coming, didn't you? Weeeell, let me just say that of all the things I love about this game, EB's highest point might just be the music. While the art is charming and the story is engaging, the music brings it all together. It's very alive! It features beautiful songs, bizzare ambience, oddly chosen sample-filled jazzy jam sessions, loads of musically interpolated references, and.. man, the music can get to being a tearjerker at times. The musicians behind this game are masters at what they do. Wow.

Bomberman Hero is a.. strange one. It's like, crazy insane breakbeat jungle bossa nova. The sounds are disorienting, blasting dissonant notes in strange patterns, leaving a really psychedelic, unpredictable sound. The breakbeats give it a very "hero on a mission" vibe, which fits the namesake of the game, and man. Those synths. I love them! I wish there was a way to find them. But yeah, it's got amazing melodies and neat oddities, and 'Redial' (the first stage theme) has been stuck in my head for years now.

Plok! Oh my GOOOD, Plok. This OST never ceases to surprise me. This was done in a Super Nintendo?! Jeebus. Talk about high fidelity sound. Tim Follin, the composer of this game, is a prog rock god and can do basically anything he pleases. Listen to 'Venge Thicket', 'Beach'or 'Akrillic' and try to argue that! These are some of the most complex / intricate tracks VG OSTs have ever been blessed to be graced by. Heaven on the ears. Too bad the game wasn't the best.

And there ya go. Those are my favorites, but...

Now, its time for the runner - ups!:

Super Mario 64 - Absolutely iconic. Only a bare few songs to this one, but they're all solid gold. The main theme of this game will always be my jam. Also, Dire Dire Docks. <3

Sonic Adventure - Nostalgia tripping so hard. One of the most definitive Sonic soundtracks, A++ all around.

MOTHER 1 / EB Zero - Gorgeous, even for its simplicity. Remember, "no crying until the ending."

NiGHTS Into Dreams... - Bouncy, magical, trippy fun. Classic Sonic Team. If you want to be happy, listen to this.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Look into fear itself. It's worth it.

Jet Set Radio / Future - Both feature the funkiest game soundtracks imaginable. All hail Hideki Naganuma and company.

Gunstar Heroes - MAN I AM SO PUMPED HOLY SHIT THIS IS THE STUFF

Ristar - More classic Sonic Team. A goldmine of insanely catchy licks. 

Mario Kart 64 - OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kirby's Dream Land 3 - Basically a lite version of Kirby 64's OST. Still worth every listen due to it's own unique tracksssss.

Mega Man 2 - A total classic. 

Jumping Flash - A hidden gem. If you ever played the Taxman fangame 'Retro Sonic', you may remember a few of these songs being used in the menus and Zones! Definitely worth getting.

Saturn Bomberman - I don't know what to say. Just listen.

LSD : Dream Emulator - WHAT AM I LISTENING TO?!?

Super Smash Bros. Melee - huminahuminahuminahumina

~Day 23 Was Completed by Me~

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 23: Thinker (Armored Core 4)

There's something mesmerizing about Kota Hoshino's broken English lyrics and playfully somber bass guitar, but Thinker captures everything I love about Armored Core in a nutshell.  Its enigma, its distant spirit, its humility, its shortcomings and its complexity.  I don't know if I'll truly understand what it means and I don't know if I want to.  I continue to sing along with this song with different words every time.

I'm sure it's a remix of another Mario track, but whatever, this version takes the cake. Short and sweet today. 

I never played Sports Mix so thanks for introducing me to this pretty cool track.  Assuming it's intentional, the main melody that repeats is a very loose take on the Mario 64 Bowser Battle theme, but only the opening notes from that song (after the percussion intro).  It's done in a slightly different key and a different tempo to the notes.

Day 23: Favorite Sawng

Now, I'm only gonna say one, because holy crap we're swimming in excellent music. But if there was only one I had to pick, I guess it'd be....

Zia's Theme, Bastion

Bastion's already an excellent game, but Zia's Theme might just be the capstone of the experience. It's excellent listening, it's an important piece of plot, it's a great way of world-building, and just a perfect summation of the game at large. It's an amazing example of holistic gaming (or rather, using all the parts of your game to tell your story), and it's something I hope the industry pays attention to as video games move forward. If a picture's worth a thousand words, than a song is worth far more than I have to say, but even as I fumble about I still have the good sense to select this as my pick for the day.

Runners Up:

• Still Alive, Want You Gone, and Bonus Room Song, from the Portal series and Skullmonkeys
  • Every Last Friggin Zelda Leimotif
  • The Poet and the Muse, from Alan Wake
  • Theme of Love, from MOTHER 3
  • Gourmet Race Type 2 A.K.A. That One Awesome Kirby Track
  • Thumbs Up 2

The main theme of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon's Mansion and all it's other variations

On the surface, you could say this is a rather odd choice. While the song is fairly good for it's arrangement and thematic instruments, it's by no means amazing, especially when put up against other more well arranged tracks. But I believe that this certain aspect of the theme is what makes it so darn great:

The harmonic hummings of Luigi that can coincide at any time with the song is what really makes this track for me. It gives it that extra needed boost and charm which helps encapsulate the atmosphere of the title. Not many games have such a unique sound design as this one, and it really makes you appreciate when developers go out of their way to include things like this (which the first game also had and helped the mood of that game too). It's just a really nice fit.

Hoooo boy, where to go about for this one. There is literally so many favorite songs for me to choose from, many of which I dumped to my iPod. My Sonic music folder is a little over 60GB, so I might be at this all day. But I will try to narrow it down as best as I can with ones I have listened to the most in the past few days (in no particular order).

1. [Play] - City Escape (Classic) - Sonic Generations: The first time I heard this song after the initial excitement of playing City Escape in Generations, I was blown away. That beat is so catchy and mix that with the vocals, I could listen to it all day. It is remixed so well, I just love it.

2. [Play] - Asteroid Coaster Act 1 - Sonic Colors: I don't know why, but I just love the guitar in this one. After hearing it for the first time on the game's release, I had it stuck in my head ALL day at work the following day. It's sooooo good, I wish I could play it on an actual guitar.

3. [Play] - The World Adventure - Sonic Unleashed: The entire album this song originated from is just absolutely fantastic, but out of the whole 3 disc album,  I have listened to this track the most; mainly because I love orchestrated music (especially in my Sanics) :3. It has some feels in it, first some happy, then sad, then back to happy.

4. [Play] - Live & Learn - Sonic Adventure 2: How could I not list this song as a fav? This song is golden, along with the rest of the game's soundtrack. I practically know all the lyrics by heart. That guitar riff towards the end is one I always dreamed of mastering. It's a badass song. XD.

5. [Play] - The Adventure Continues...For Horizon Heights Act 1 - Sonic After the Sequel: This song...for a fan made Sonic game, is simply amazing. The melody is so genuine that it fit so perfectly in a Sonic game. Same goes for the rest of the soundtrack for both Before AND After the Sequel games. Falk did a superb job on the music composition.

Honorable Mentions

- The rest of the soundtracks the songs listed above came from

- Halo 3 OST and soundtracks for the other Halo games

- Sonic CD OST

- Sonic Adventure OST

- All Sonic GBA titles

- Sonic Heroes OST

- Sonic Lost World OST

- All classic Genesis-era Sonic games OST

- Shadow the Hedgehog OST

- The awesome remixes in SASR: Transformed

- All Sonic Arcade music

- Sonic 4 OST

- Sonic Colors OST

- Ice Cap Zone (soooo many remixes for that stage lol)

c3Xhk79.png

Huehuehue.

• Thumbs Up 2

Favorite songs? Easily these two.

Kirby's Dream Collection is, well, a collection, so it's not gonna feature a ton of new music on its own. But these two renditions of the title screen and credits themes from KDL1 are easily the game's highlight features.

The first song is lifted straight from KSSU's Spring Breeze title screen but given a fresh coat of paint, and I was floored to hear this version of the song in high quality. To me, bringing KDL1's theme song back is about as awesome as hearing the Sonic 1 and 2 title screen jingle in Sonic Generations. Meanwhile, the arrangement of the series' first credits theme does it justice and then some. It mixes in Sky Tower about halfway through, a nostalgic and charming melody that's one of my favorite themes from Return to Dream Land, and the ending just has to be heard to be believed. I can't imagine anyone making a superior arrangement.

Even in their original 8-bit forms (here and here respectively), these songs are fantastic and just define Kirby for me. Green Greens and Gourmet Race may be iconic, but these just endear to me far more, and considering this series has several of my favorite game soundtracks of all time (64, Dream Land 3, Block Ball, and Triple Deluxe are only a few examples out of many), it's very difficult to narrow down my favorites, but it feels right going back to the game that started it all and HAL's recent takes on those same themes.

• Thumbs Up 7

...and then I realized most of the songs I love in gaming come from Sonic... well, I'm still sticking to my non-Sonic method for this but man was this still a hard choice. So...

Day 23: Favorite ( Itunes says I've played it well over 3000 times... nothing is regretted) Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhNdvIdpEoM

Super Mario Galaxy 2: Staff Credits

While the overall theme of Galaxy 2 it's music definitely was. While the game had multiple level themes that really had me rocking my head to the beat (especially that throwback galaxy theme), nothing struck me more than that final tune that plays during the credits. It's an almost fuller version of the main theme. It perfectly captures the feeling of the Galaxy series in general. Not to mention when it hits it's climax at around 2:50... man was it a treat!

Now I'm going to have to name some runner ups here as this decision really made me think a bit. I just have to give these choices their proper credit

-All 3 of the main themes from the Arkham series: Each capture the feeling of their respective games perfectly. From Asylums creepy mad house, to City's epic scale, to Origin's action packed sequences. All three of these are probably only a few points behind my choice to be honest.

- Kid Icarus Uprising- Dark Pit's Theme: Damn if this didn't get me in the hypest mood when I first listened to it while playing through the level. It truly is the best track in the game for me and possibly one of the best Nintendo has produced thus far.

- Portal 2- Exile Vilify: This song perfectly captures the feeling of loneliness (and a bit of helplessness) the first few parts of the game bring. It's also makes for a nice little easter egg.

- Halo 4- 117: Man, does this track perfectly reflect the magnitude of the series. Especially when it picks up around the 5:50 mark. Seriously, that part still gives me shivers whenever I listen to it. If that part was put into it's own track it probably would of been my favorite theme ever, of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCrL76vGpNA

Also, as a side note, can I just say how much fun this day has been. I mean really, I've added at least a dozen songs to my playlist thanks to all these post! XD You guys have great taste.

Day 23: THERE'S TOO MANY SONGS I LOVE TO JUST PICK ONE!

Last time I went with Song of Storms, Zelda's Lullaby/Ocarina of Time's Credits Theme and Flowering Night and while I still hold those tracks closest to my heart, I feel that I want to pick something different this year, mainly to emphasize that I'm still playing new games and falling in love with new music from them over the years.

I have 4 favorite instruments. Piano, Violin, Guitar, and a well done choir. And what do you know, all of those are in this masterpiece of a track, Shōji Meguro you friggin' genius. The Battle for Everyone's Souls (Persona 3) is easily one of, if not my favorite boss/battle theme of all time. In fact, this track is the very reason why I wanted to get into Persona/Shin Megami Tensei in the first place too. It's just that good. I also absolutely adore the "Reincarnation" Arrange too.

Touhou 8 had a great soundtrack and while I know this is technically a remix, Extend Ash is still mostly intact here and I'd say this remix just amplifies everything from the original and turns it into something truly amazing and badass. I'd honestly say this is one of my favorite songs of all time, I can't think of many other songs (video game or not) that I enjoy this much. And finally...

This track. THIS TRACK made me fall in love with After the Sequel. Everything about it just feels so enthusiastic and fun to listen to. Falk captivated the perfect amount of energy you would expect out of a Sonic game and hell, I'd even say this is my favorite level 1 theme when it comes to Sonic, and that says a lot considering it even beats Green Hill Zone and City Escape IMO.

Well done Falk, you amazing....person who made this amazing soundtrack.

Runner Ups?

No More Heroes: Main Theme (of course... but that piano tho)

No More Heroes 2: It's Kill or Be Killed (best level one theme to start the game off, shame it only plays once in the entire game, cutscenes aside)

Guilty Gear XX: Still in the Dark and Fatal Duel (everything from this game sounded amazing really, Daisuke Ishiwatari is god-ter composer along with ZUN)

Guilty Gear XX #Reload Korean OST: Blacklight Babe and Dead Silence (again, everything from this OST sounds amazing, but I'm just a HUGE sucker for Techno Metal done right <3)

Xenoblade: You Will Know Our Names (but that climax tho...)

FFXIII: Blinded by Light and Last Hunter (I hear these games are god awful but I can't say I've played them myself yet though. Either way, I can't help but love the Violin x Guitar amazing-ness here. <3)

Bayonetta: Let's Dance Boys (another song that got me to buy the game, it's really just that good.)

Sonic After the Soundtrack: Final Boss Themes (I never thought it was possible for a fangame soundtrack to sound SO AMAZING, let alone feature my favorite final boss themes of all time)

Eye of the Storm and Mach Σ

Previously on Day 22: 

Next time on Day 24:

• Thumbs Up 2

Ooh, this is going to be tough. I listen to so many VG soundtracks, I can't always keep them straight in my head. But here's a few stand out tracks, and that ain't even all my favorites (but I'll be here all night otherwise):

1) Schala's Theme (Chrono Trigger): OK, it goes without saying that Chrono Trigger's soundtrack is damned amazing. Every track is great, in my opinion, and even just listening to the soundtrack cold without playing the game, it tells a great story that spans so many different eras and locations, each with a very distinct mood that just sucks you into its world. Schala's Theme, while a predictable choice, is one I'm very fond of. Schala herself is an intriguing character because of how closely tied to, well, everything that happens in the game. The song has a very mystical and elegant quality and it gives me chills whenever I hear it. Knowing her tragic story makes it a bit sad too.

2) The Girl who Stole the Stars (Chrono Cross): Oh man, another Chrono theme, and this one's even more sad. It's hard to pick one track from Chrono Cross that I like, but I think this one is particularly iconic, especially since it first appeared in Radical Dreamers a few years prior. I feel it gives us a good feel for Kid and what she's been through in her life (and then some!

She's either the reincarnation of Schala or her daughter-clone created by the Frozen Flame... yeah, that's not complicated at all, Kato

). It's what makes her surprisingly likable when your first impression of her is a pushy thief who kicks a lot of ass but drags you into her own misadventures. The little bit of chanting the vocalist really makes it stick to me.

3) Prologue B (Xenoblade Chronicles): One more soundtrack that's hard to pick just one, but I'm going with Prologue B from Xenoblade Chronicles. It's a track that's used very sparingly in the game (used in the titular prologue sequence and again

when Shulk recovers and faces down Dickson's Telethia outside Colony 6

). It's all about the battle, the neverending struggle, and even when things look bleak, you just start swinging your sword around and fight to carve out your destiny. Hell, that's what the game is all about, and this song gives a very uplifting mood in the face of the odds you're staring down in your 100+ hour journey. Mad props to Yoko Shimomura for what she created for this game.

Super Mario Galaxy (Ending Credits)

The entirety of Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack is a superb work and an absolute bliss to listen to. The use of a philharmonic orchestra as part of the audiovisual representation of Mario's journey into space was an excellent choice as we can hear through every single piece composed by legend Koji Kondo and his team; from traversing through Egg Planet or Wind Garden to strolling at the Comet Obseratory, listening to this soundtrack while you play one of the greatest games of all-time in recent years is an experience like no other ever seen before.

The main theme used on the ending credits is the ultimate culmination of such experience, the perfect representation of what your journey into space has been like: a journey through distant yet fantastic worlds filled with the best platforming action you will ever embrace from the masters at Nintendo EAD Tokyo.

(Posted from my iPhone. I'll have to make any edits in the formatting plus the introduction after my return from Manchester!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qp0_NE8M1c

It's difficult to choose a song as most Donkey Kong Country songs are fantastic... This one is the one I've chosen as my example. It has all the elements of a Donkey Kong Country song. It contains a beautiful melody, it has sounds that match the level's atmosphere, and it's moody enough to make you take cartoon monkeys seriously.

David Wise is a brilliant man.

Oh hey, the worst thing to choose ever. Like fuck where do I even begin with this?

Lets start with Final Fantasy, a series that prides itself on supplying fantastic themes from every or face of every game, and what counts as the best of the best? Well this is something I can easily determine.

This.....this goes beyond video games entirely. This is like....I can't believe this was something composed by a human being, this is a statement, a representation of the sheer beauty humanity can create if they have the talent and drive for it. Wandering Flame is a hauntingly beautiful piece that personally drives me to tears every time I listen to it. All the worries I have in my life, all the doubt, the fears, they all just seem to melt away the instant this track reaches my ears. How can I stay mad at anything when this is playing? Im actually kinda mad that this theme isnt recognized more for how brilliant it is. For all the things that easily get popular and stick with in the collective consciousness I feel that this needs more exposure, it deserves a god damn award. I coud go on but I think I made my point, Wandering Flame is fucking beautiful, and my favorite VGM track of all time.

Then lets move on with Zelda for having the most excellently composes music to ever grace the industry, raining from triumphant and bombastic tunes to slow and melodic emotional themes, there's just to much fantastic music to bear, but if I had to boil it all down to one song I guess it would be this.

Everything about my favorite game of all time can be boiled down into this beautiful piece. Brimming with sadness, yet at the same time, hope. You can connect this theme to the people and world of Termina as whole. You hear this theme play when you get the Goron and Zora Mask, you see their original spirits, and you see their regrets and past lives, and what made it special to them. For the Goron hero it's the respect and adulation of his tribe, and for the Zora musician it's the camaraderie between his band mates, and his close bond with Lulu. This is the tune that plays when you see them move pass on and leave all their hopes to you, a random boy. I consider it the de-facto theme of Majora's Mask for that reason, as it represents the overall theme of Link's journey, healing a dying world.

And of COURSE you have the one and only Sonic the Hedgehog, the innovator and practitioner of excellent video game themes. No matter how shit the games are, the tunes will usually be up to par. But which tune is one that I consider the best? This is impossible for me to say but I will go with one of my favorites anyway.

A rather odd choice but this is one of those tunes that worked well in tandem with the stage for me, which is what makes the song so memorable. You start off the stage in platform peril, and through it all Zavok is taunting you while using his Dragon machine to give you a hard time. Now I really like Zavok (unpopular opinion alert!) and this is what cemented this as badass villian for me. The music sounds very fast paced and perilous as it should be, Tails was kidnapped and I imagine this is what Sonic is feeling at the time, the whole song gives a very "your times is running out" vibe to it and I love it. Not to mention it has a sick beat inter-sped with nice oriental instrumentation, not unlike Unleashed's Dragon Road Day, it just all comes together nicely for me to make a good experience overall.

S how about something MORE recent then? Well I did play Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze not to long ago, and it blew my mind how David Wise doesnt get tons of work based on what I heard here. All the themes are great and all feel unique, but one track in particular really blew me away the instant I entered the accompanying stage.

This tune is a perfect example of the stage working perfectly in tandem with the music to accentuate the presentation all together. The music has several phases that play during certain sections the stage, it feels like the music is advancing right alongside the player through the level. All of the stage obstacles move in tandem with the beat of the music and I love stages that do that. And as the music increases in impact, so does the stage, and by the end of the stage it's like you're right in a festival with a cheering chorus and everything. As for the music itself, the african/lion king vibe sounds incredibly unique, I genuinely never heard anything quite like it in a game before, it feels fresh and new but still feels like it belongs in a Donkey Kong game. David Wise is a fucking master.

Runner ups include.

Pokemon in general, notable track - most battle themes and most of anything from Gen 2, 3, and 4

Mighty Switch Force 1 and 2, notable track - Rescue Girl

Metal Gear Rising Boss Theme, notable track - Monsoon (Stains of Time)

Mario 3D World, notable track - fucking SUNSHINE SEASIDE 

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 23: Favorite music

Oh man, where do I begin? Needless to say, I don't have "a" favorite track, not even a few. More like a truckload of 'em. But since everyone's posting so many already, I'll just do my top three, in no specific order.

Descole's theme from The Last Specter

Pure organ villain theme bliss. It starts out mysterious and ominous when he makes his big reveal, kicks into a classy full stride once the characters can observe his general character, and then finally ends on the more dangerous accordion tune once the characters find out the situation they're in, or realize his plans.

Special mention for the Live version, played in the later games and in the movie, for it's grand and "epic" feel.

Oh my goodness, I've talked about this battle too much. The theme starts out okay, but as it progresses, it gains more and more momentum to it, kicking up the adrenalin ten notches, and the settles down on an epic, celestial medium between a choir and the band. It fits the boss, its setting, and atmosphere really well, making the most memorable end-boss theme I've ever heard.

Oop, here comes Sonic. Yeah, you saw it, that big fat logo we all know all to well. So, what's little old Deleter gonna choose that's so different from everything else posted so far, you ask?

HOW ABOUT THE BEST BOSS REMIX EVER MADE, PERIOD?!?

Seriously, with Reach for the Stars, Speak With Your Heart, and plenty of meh classic versions of modern tracks up their sleeves, I wasn't too fond of Cash Cash, until I heard this song. Holy guacamole, is this song incredible! That guitar, that synth, and sweet Primus that new tune! A great take on an old track, and definitely one of the more original remixes in Generations.

Day 23: Complete

• Thumbs Up 1

Favorite Song?

I have many favorites, but one I've been b listening to a lot lately has been

Sectonia Soul's theme from Kirby Triple Deluxe. Hands down one of my favorite final boss themes. It gets your blood pumping while still making you feel the finality of the encounter. And it's kinda beautiful, reflecting the nature of Sectonia's new form.

I have a strange attraction to bombastic, cheesy musical themes. And they don't get much more than that than the main character theme for Lunar 2, be it the remake one or the one from the original:

This. I haven't actually seen FFX so I don't know the context/meaning of this song, but man it is pretty. After the first time I listened to it, I immediately started looking for piano music sheets for it. Luckily it wasn't difficult to learn and now I can play this. :D A friend of mine heard me play and she asked me to teach her as well (she doesn't know anything about FFX either).

Super Mario Galaxy has one of my all time favorite OSTs in....well, anything. The techno\orchestra mix is ingenious. Gusty Garden is just so grand, yet at the same time bouncy and lighthearted and fun that it fit's the game's atmosphere perfectly. It feels like it could fit a grand adventure just as easily as it could fit two friends just screwing around and having fun. I'm glad that it's sort of become Mario Galaxy's "theme" in recent years.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Next, please."
Continuing my excuses to use Killer7 in this topic, the game has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. It's incredibly dark, atmospheric and heavy. Masafumi Takada who is responsible for some incredible soundtracks like No More Heroes and Dangan Ronpa is up there as my favorite of all time. He's got an incredible touch for atmosphere and can really make something sound insidious.

Then Suda said him "make me a track that plays during ten seconds on average each chapter where all you do is walk up a flight of stairs".

And Takada put out this masterpiece.

Rave On plays when you pass the game's Vinculum Gate, which is a mid-chapter checkpoint preparing you for a new enemy encounter and eventually the chapter boss. The backdrop of the song is literally set to what is like a small flight of stairs in an enclosed theater hallway, and you don't spend more than a couple of seconds in here. Despite this it is one of the longest and most elaborate tracks on the entire soundtrack, and it is fucking awesome and catchy.

It requires either one hell of a crazy mind or one hell of a sense of humor to come up with an idea like this. And I love it.