Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 24: Favorite Controller

mastercontroller.jpg

Mostly because of the nostalgia. The Master System II was my first console and I've spent hours playing games like Castle of Illusion, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, The Lucky Dime Caper, Sonic the Hedgehog, Astérix...

dreamcast_controller_01_large.jpg

I've always liked this one.

GameCube-Controller.jpg

Well, like the others said, this one is great too :)

Favourite Controller:

PlayStation 2&3 controllers.

412Q3RFHZVL._SY300_.jpgcontroller2.jpg

cover.jpg

I love these because their design allows me to comfortably fit my hand snugly around the controller, which makes for a stronger grip, better control and just an overall nicer feel than controllers like the Xbox360. The placement of the R1/L1 & R2/L2 buttons allow for ease of use thanks to how nimble the controller is. 

I love the PS3 controller because it's wireless which is so cool.

Mega-Drive/Genesis controllers.

joy010.jpgsegagenesis.jpg?1322575839

My nostalgia goggles are kind of talking here.

Not as comfortable to hold compared to the Playstation controllers, but I just love the simple layout. The D-pad on the left, and A,B,C and Start buttons on the right are very easy to use. It's also a surprising durable controller. More durable than the Playstation controllers (although obviously less complex).

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 24: Fav Controller

WE HAVE A TIE!

ps1_dualshock_ctl.gif

Playstation controllers

It's the first controller I held in my hands, and I think what made this such an experience was how much cooler this was compared to using a damn keyboard as I had for all the computer games I played before getting a PS1. It just feels so good to use, even now. 

GameCube-Controller.jpg

GameCube controller

Yeah, what the other people said.

Honourable Mentions

• Xbox 360 controller I don't have a 360, but I've played on friends', and I like the controller a lot. It felt comfortable the very first time I held one, in fact.
  • Wii U gamepad: I love this thing more than you could possibly understand. The only game I see myself not using it in is probably Smash Bros., but we'll see. But that aside, it's really won me over, especially due to the option to play games on the gamepad's screen--I must be a handheld gamer at heart because I actually prefer off-TV play a lot of the time, especially for platformers.

Day 24: Favourite Controller 

GameCube_controller.png

The Gamecube Controller

Nintendo has never made a single more perfect controller then this. It's just so fucking comfy, the button placement is a bit unconventional but works really, really well. Other controllers may have surpassed it in certain aspects such as the triggers and the d-pad, but other then those minor flaws this controller is a absolute joy to hold and I literally cannot imagine playing Smash Bros with anything else. I will literally buy adapters for my Wii-U so I can use these things for Smash 4. 

Xbox-360-S-Controller.png

The Xbox 360 Controller

This is a controller I've used so much over the past 6 years or so of me owning a Xbox 360, and it's very comfy. I prefer Xbox's stick placement over Playstation, and this controller doesn't have the DS3 problem where the analogue sticks are loose as hell. I've just gotten so used to this controller layout, and it's going to be a pain in the ass to acclimate myself with the Playstation layout now that I own a PS4, but I'll live with it lol. 

Crap. I missed a day. Well, let's catch up.

Day 23: Favorite Song/OST

Guys, I got this:

Suicide Mission from Mass Effect 2 is a VERY good overture for the game as a whole. With a combined orchestra using brass and choral parts, the theme gives a very heroic feel to an already epic adventure. It also gives that feeling of being the only ones to go in guns a blazing, being the first and last line of defense against an enemy that needs to be fought. You are the only thing standing between humanity and its destruction.

You guys are probably gonna shoot me for this, but PC Master Race.

g710-gaming-keyboard-images.png

The Logitech G710 is a cheap and readily available alternative to most mechanical keyboards. It also features a very neutral color scheme as opposed to most gaming keyboard rigs like Razer. The most attractive feature of this is probably the keys themselves. These aren't cherry keys or blues or anything fancy like that, but they are good enough for most PC gamers that demand responsiveness from their keyboard. In addition, this keyboard comes with a USB passthrough and 10 key anti-ghosting, meaning you can push down 10 keys at the same time without any of the keys being non-responsive.

mamba_15.jpg

Speaking of Razer, the Razer Mamba is my choice of mouse. Why? Because it's the fastest wireless mouse, period. While the battery life leaves much to be desired, this mouse does a perfect job of ensuring that you're able to play for as long as you need to for your gaming session. You dont even have to play wireless. The same cable that plugs into the charging dock/transmitter also plugs directly into the mouse. Aside from that, it also comes with two thumb buttons and on-the-fly adjustable mouse sensitivity, which is very useful for adjusting to new FPSs or switching from infantry to flight vehicles in games like Battlefield and Planetside. Last but not least, the mouse also comes with a multi-color LED and different profiles you can switch it to through the Legacy driver software.

As for a REAL controller...

B00BGA9X9W_img1_lg.jpg

My God is this controller nice. The feel of a dualshock configuration is just so natural to me that it doesn't parallel. In addition, they've made some improvements. As opposed to the number of lights on, the controller has color coding for player numbers. In addition, the bumper/trigger buttons have had their text turned UPSIDE DOWN in order for players to view them easier while holding the controller.

The analog nubs are also quite nice, having rings put on them for better tactility and no slipping. Let's also not forget the motion controls which are optional, and the new touchpad on top. The touchpad is actually very useful, and used for small things that make games more immerse, like swiping through menus or adjusting a scope view.

In general, the Dualshock 4 is a very nice controller and has major improvements to the previous dualshocks as before. 

I've always liked the Playstation Controllers, even before the Dual Shock. I still prefer to use the D-Pad rather than the analogue sticks for a lot of games to be honest.

But let's throw out something a little left-field:

320px-Guitar_Hero_3_-_black_controller_f

A big reason for Guitar Hero's success was of course, the plastic guitar. Now, above is the wireless version from Guitar Hero 3. Wireless, yay! I actually liked the clickiness of the buttons, I felt it made it easier to know when I made a mistake. Rock Band's strummer wasn't as tight, the fret buttons too close together. This got it right.

• Thumbs Up 1

PS4_2Column_Duelshock4Control_vf1.png

Mine's gonna have to go to the Dualshock 4. Everything about it feels like it was designed with all the flaws of Dualshock 3 in mind to create a comfortable and enjoyable controller to suit the motif of "for the players" which Sony have been pushing. The analog sticks are great and don't slip out of your grip, the shape of the controller itself is easy and comfy to hold (especially over long periods of time, I found), the trigger have a nice sturdy click to them, the d-pad is much easier to use and the light bar just looks really cool to be honest, especially when used in games. It also just looks damn sexy, much like its console to match. Very nice.

Other mentions:

• Gamecube controller - yep, I can't really add to what many others have said. It feels comfortable and ergonomic, extremely satisfying to use and with that added hint of nostalgia, it's a winner.
  • Wii U Gamepad - I thought the Gamepad would be the most abysmal controller I'd ever use. Surprisingly, it's turned out very comfortable to use over long periods of time and I've never had an issue with it, so credit to the designers.

PlayStation Controllers

ss8DWz9.jpg

I grew up with the PlayStation, and the PlayStation line of systems is still my over-all favorite. The controller is really great too, I was going to mention just the DualShock 2 as I played with that one the most, but most of the controllers are pretty much the same but with just an added feature on the next system. The PSX controller from what I remember is a more generic PS2 controller, and the PS3 controller is just a wireless more advanced PS2 controller. The PS4 controller is alot more advanced however, as it has that new touch-pad, and the back has that blue light illuminating out of it. Over-all, I just love the PlayStation controller, no matter really what system it is used on. The dualshock is just all-around great. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, there's something I wanted to add too - the Dualshock 4 has a headphone port at the bottom, and it sounds great to boot. I love being able to hook up my Audio Technicas whenever I'm playing something alone and really get absorbed into the game. It's very convenient for voice chat as well, since I can just hook up my earphones.

Wii U Gamepad gets props for this too, but the volume seemed to be really low when I tried it and the audio quality wasn't too good as a result (at least from my experience - maybe there's a hidden volume option I didn't see), which made it kind of useless for me.

This should definitely be standard in the future.

Day 24: Favorite controller

Hmmm, I'm going to have to go for my original

the N64 CONTROLER!

My first controller, and still feels right in my hands, its a little weird, but always great

Props to the Wii-u Gamepad for its features, and the wii-u Pro controller gets great props for being the true evolution of the N64 and Gamecube remotes in design and feel

Favorite Controller

Dualshock 3

What can I say? Out of a few different controllers I've used in the past, I feel the Dualshock 3 fits in my hands the best. The button layout and directional arrows are placed neat and simple. The analog sticks are positioned perfectly for my thumbs to maneuver. The shoulder buttons are easy and efficient to use as well. The fact that it's wireless makes gaming incredibly convenient. I have yet to try out the Dualshock 4 controller though, but I can't wait to eventually use one once I get a PS4. And that's it, nothing much else to it.

I think I'm going to get stuck on day 23 for a looooong time (so many songs posted, so little time to listen to all of them)! Still, we have to keep going since we are reaching the final stretch of this event! \o/.

Day 24: Favorite Controller.

Let me tell you a story, little gato was a piss poor gamer living in a piss poor country and because of that he always had cut as many corners as possible in order to play vidya, piracy, cheap controllers, outdated hardware, trying to fix almost everything you broke on your own without any idea what is what. You name it!

But little gato grew up and got a somewhat stable source of income, during those days most of us were hyping the first All Stars Racing and not so little gato also wanted to join the experience and play this awesome new title by Sumo, still, he felt something was lacking when he played it, the controls were really hard to configure and when you plugged more than 1 generic pad at the same time things didn't go so well. (not to mention there were some games that outright didn't work with these pads, it was the age of shitty PC ports or something I guess)

It was time to do what it must be done and help my pc ugrade its gears!

So he decided to try to spend some money in a true and reliable controller, not that super awesome neon stuffed pads that come specifically designed for a single game mind you, but something good enough that your average gamer might be happy with (after all, not so little gato still lives in a piss poor country). He went to the nearest hardware store an hour long bus trip away from his home in the middle of nowhere and saw the options he had available.

* Generic PC controller

* XBOX 360 Controller

* Better PC controller

* Even Better PC controller

* Gaming Keyboard

... Well that's not a lot of options! And it seems not so little gato also underestimated how silly his homeland could be when it comes to importing goods from other places, because his budget was nowhere near the prize the best controllers had, after meditating a little and mentally crying for some good 20 minutes or so about the money loss he decided to purchase the XBOX 360 pad for $400 ($s in this case being of a considerable lesser value than the ones you are used to see), poorer gato justified the purchase telling himself "it probably has the best compatibility with the games I want to play" and so he went back home.

Xbox-360-S-Controller.png

And that's how my story with the XBOX 360 pad begun! Contrary to the generic designs (most of them based on the Dual Shock controller) this one had it's right stick in the place the D-Pad usually goes, which was perfect for me because my thumbs were prone to start hurting after playing fighting games with a Pad for too long, it felt a lot more comfortable and put your hands in the right position so you can handle the triggers with the indexes and the rest of the buttons with the thumbs, needless to say, it was also compatible with all the games I could use a pad with and it was a lot more durable (actually, I have 3 ever since that first purchase and all of them are still working to this day).

euWJeAT.jpg

In retrospective, this wasn't my brightest moment.

Come a few years in the future and my current obsession is Phantasy Star Online 2, and I (almost) couldn't be happier with the way the XBOX 360 pad performs. Playing as a Hunter (and any other melee class) feels as natural as it should with the left thumbstick used for movement, the triggers used for all the defensive actions like dodging or blocking or sub palette using and the D-Pad being used for the menus. I'd also say is the best controller for Ranger only second to the Keyboard and Mouse combo (thanks to the use of the right thumbstick for TPS mode)... Force (and Techer) are a pain tho, especially if you want to jump while casting a technique.

But all in all I'm very happy with my purchase. The XBOX 360 controller can do almost everything I want for my PC gaming needs (not to mention that it's a lot easier to find than the other ones), and that's why I picked it for today's post.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been consistent in providing visual aid for most of my answers so far but it's kind of unnecessary here - yeah I'm with Team GCN too.

The controller is so comfortable, there is next to no learning curve for the button layout because every one is a different shape.  The Wii U Pro Controller is nice but I don't understand why they just mimicked the 360 button layout, when ABXY felt just fantastic to use on Gamecube.  I even like the two sticks being slightly different shapes.  I think the perfect controller would be a Gamecube controller with an extra bumper, and the ability to swap out a Control Stick and D-Pad for the primary position somehow.  Though honestly even Sonic Mega Collection played great with the GCN control stick, despite being games designed for a D-Pad.

Day 24:

Wii mote + Nunchuk.

With these controllers I was always able to play comfortably no matter how I'm facing the tv. I liked the idea were I can separate my hands from each other and rest my arms wherever I want so I can play comfortably. I always liked to play games when lying down on my bed and usually its uncomfortable to play with regular controllers and my arms would be together.

With the wiimote + nunchuk I can rest my arms wherever I want and be comfortable inside my bed. I can bundle myself up inside my sheets and still play a mean game of Super Smash Brod Brawl and Mario Kart Wii.

I know games that need motion controls would require you to face the TV but I hardly play games that have motion controls. The only motion I do is doing tricks in Mario Kart Wii.

Small mention of the Wii U Gamepad. Its a decent size. I was worried before getting it because it looked like it was too big and when I got my hands on it, it felt great and I played many Wii U games comfortably with the gamepad. Plus it has off TV play. I can play a console game inside my sheets. HOW COOL IS THAT!?!?

Edit: yup, I'm the only to mention Wii mote + nunchuk

YjGi0zO.png

Let it not be said that the Gamecube wasn't a fucking awesome system and that it didn't have the best controller ever manufactured. People say that the controller has an 'unconventional' design, but to me, this controller is the only one that feels like it was made for human hands and by far is the most versatile when it comes to playing multiple different genres.

Reason 1: It has a 4-button layout that allows for nearly every possible 2-button combination with just the thumb.

Reason 2: Each button has a unique shape and size that makes it easy to tell what button your pressing which makes developing muscle memory almost a non-issue.

Reason 3: The analog sticks have octagonal ridges that makes pointing in specific directions easy and without worry of accidentally veering off center. This coupled with their short, almost D-pad like feel makes both 3D and 2D games feel natural to play using the analog stick.

The entire controller was built to make pressing buttons and moving sticks as simple and intuitive as possible. You won't ever have to second guess what button you have to press to do a specific function or look down at your controller to remember where all the buttons are. Your thumb rests delicately on the A button and from there you can easily feel out the other 3 buttons and can easily tell where they are without having to memorize the the layout by sight.

If there were one legitimate complaint I could think of with this controller, it would be that it lacks 4 shoulder buttons, which isn't really a problem with the controller itself, since most games in that era didn't require that many buttons to begin with, it's simply outdated by today's standards. There's also the small and kinda stiff D-pad, which also isn't that big of a problem since 2D games play just as comfortably with the analog stick as 3D games, so it's hardly an issue. I guess the only thing I can think of is that the C-stick isn't as effective at camera control, but christ if that's that only keeping the Gamecube controller from being perfect, and if nobodies perfect, then that must mean the Gamecube controller is as close to perfect as anyone's gonna get.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm, I'm not really sure what my favourite is.

• The N64 controller looked weird, but was still comfortable to play with.
  • The Magadrive controller was okay, but perhaps a tad slippery.
  • The SNES controller was kinda blocky, but still okay to use.
  • The Dreamcast controller was okay, but perhaps too big.
  • The X-Box controller was both, too big and uncomfortable.
  • The Saturn controller was similar to the Megadrive one, while being easier to grip.
  • The Classic controller felt strange to use, with the wire going out from the bottom, instead of the typical top.
  • The Wiimote did take some getting used to, but it was a nice idea to have you use it in alternate ways.
  • The GameCube controller was okay...I can't think of much else to say.
  • The Wii U Game Pad also took some getting used to.
  • The PlayStation controller was okay too, but I can't remember how it felt when I first used it as it hasn't change much at all over the 4 generations it's been used.
  • The Pro controller was okay as well, but unremarkable.

Day 24: Fav Controller??

tumblr_mqh54oQ5fN1svd4e4o1_1280.png?af4e

I guess I'll pick the GameCube controller. I don't know why though...because everybody else had?

...I know...I'm deeply ashamed...I just can't think straight at the moment.

Day 24: Weapon of choice

Conversation between me and my subconscious:

"Favorite controller?"

"...AR I know what you're thinking and you better not."

"...Can't think of anything else sooo...."

"No. Don't do it."

"I'm gonna do it."

"AR I swear to god if you pick this I'm gonna-"

black_CU__30670.1374008597.1280.1280.jpg

"Goddammit."

REN'S FAVORITE CONTROLLER: THE ARCADE STICK

Gee, what a surprise, especially since I've been talking about fighting games for more than half of these 30 days.

I've had my fair share of experiences of fighting games in the arcade. Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, both Marvel vs. Capcom games, SoulCalibur games, Tekken games, etc. Playing fighting games for years, I've used a bunch of different controllers on a bunch of different consoles, and none have felt more right than the classic arcade stick. Hell, I sometimes find myself slipping into a pseudo-arcade stick style of handling on my PS3 controller when I play some fighting games (Holding it straight in my lap, using my index and middle finger to hit the face buttons). The joystick takes a while to get used to, but the flat button layout gives my hands a comfortable position for the crazy button-pressing combinations of many a fighting game, especially six-button games like Street Fighter. It removes the unnecessary use of the triggers for heavy attacks and it's such a relief. Getting used to it makes the execution feel a lot more streamlined because it's bigger than most controllers and you have active use of both hands.

This particular stick pictured is one I've been keeping my eye on: the Qanba Q4. It's got triple compatibility (playable on PS3, Xbox 360 AND PC) and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Maybe I should try it on some action/hack-n-slash games too. Looks like it'd be a lot of fun.

• Thumbs Up 5

gm_xboxc_blk_otherviews01.jpg

I don't have much to say here. There is only one thing that matters in a good controller to me: comfort. I want to be able to sit for hours and hours without my hands getting tired. The 360 controller fits nicely around my hand and never hurts to use; I couldn't play with the Dualshock 1 and 2 for too long, for example, because my hands would start to hurt. This is not a problem here due to the more form-fitting shape and the different stick layout. The only thing I would change about it is a more accurate d-pad.

Day 24: Favourite Controller?

NES-controller.jpg

The NES controller!

I got nothing much to say about this answer to elaborate in further detail, but there's just something about how simple it looks with the square design, only 4 buttons and a d-pad that it really connects with me.

Back in those days we did indeed had it way simpler with button layout as well!

Day 24: Favourite Controller

c9A9RnN.jpg

The Rez Trance Vibrator is my favourite because of reasons.

Being serious, I quite like the DualShock 4 for the reasons that other people have been mentioning. Don't have a PS4 yet myself, but I've tried it out a few times and it just feels so comfortable and natural to use. I pretty much skipped out on the PS3, so the last Playstation controller I spent a lot of time with was the PS2's (which is my other favourite) and it just felt like the natural jump from that. Familiar, but a definite improvement.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 24: Favorite Controllers

410N32IMnrL._SY300_.jpgmjTmZukZzGRHLHrBkVLuq6w.jpg

Gamecube. Yep. Easily the most ergonomic controller in existence. It's severely lacking in all the buttons needed to make it match today's controller standards, but if it was beefed up it would exceed expectations and easily be the best controller ever. Plus, gotta give praise to not only the ingenious face button design, but the shoulder button design too. They fit your fingers in them perfectly, and you can feel that slide downward and quick click when you press it down all the way. The fact that the games register that shows how well they built them, too.

Oh yeah, plus, the Wavebird (the other one shown above) is a beauty. Awesome design/shape, amazing battery life and great range. It's just about the perfect controller, especially since I have big ol' clunky hands. Ugh, I miss being able to use you, Wavebird. ;_;

Man, I just miss this controller. I'm hype beyond compare that Nintendo's getting themselves and a third party to create an enhanced version for Smash Bros, but I'm disappointed that it's going to be a Wiimote attachment. They really should've just stuck with this controller design and continued improving it.

control-dreamcast-con-pantalla.jpg

The Dreamcast is another one of my favorites. While it's also very limited in buttons (much moreso than even the Gamecube), I thought it was very impressive for it's time, and honestly it's the precursor of nearly every controller to exist since then!

It's got this very grippable feeling to it, where the back triggers really make for great places to relax your hands. The controller is really nicely spaced out, and the analog stick is probably the smoothest one I know in regards to turning it. The d-pad's a little clunky yet feels nice enough to use (similar to the disc-like feel of the d-pad on the Genesis), and the face buttons are very awesome because of how they put little bumps on each of them, making it easy to grip them as well. Very nice to hold and use all around!

Also, I can't help but love it for it's quirks. That hollow, hard plastic with the off-white finish and almost pastelish colors used on the face buttons.. it's very pleasing to look at. Plus, the VMU is useless for the most part, but I love how practical it was to use the memory card in the controller like that. Plus the little LCD screen was cute and had nice little things over it!

Definitely one of the quirkiest controllers out there. And while I know people tend to complain that it's a bit too big (I've heard people say it feels like you're holding a miniature spaceship, lmao), it actually fits my monkey hands perfect. 

380483_0_original.jpg

Xbox 360 is awesome as well, if not mostly for it's functionality. It's a sort of evolution from the Dreamcast's controller design in a more easy to maneuver package. While it doesn't feel as satisfying I guess as the previous two did, it does have a great grip to it, and it has its own upper edge in ergonomics that somewhat challenges even the Gamecube, and trumps it in some ways due to featuring the amount of buttons deemed necessary by today's standards. 

Plus, the fact that it's supported so much by computers and etc really just makes it very accessible, making it my standard controller for PC gaming / emulation. Also, it's great design (crappy D-pad aside) is proven to stand the test of time by looking at this current generation's controllers, and how not only the Xbox One, but the Wii U Pro Controller and Gamepad follows it's design closely. Heck, even the DS4 learned some stuff from it! It's a mad good controller for others to take inspiration from, because I feel like it got a lot of things down right.

• Thumbs Up 5

This HAS to be the Gamecube controller. It is just so ergonomic and easy to hold, the button placement is fantastic, with the main button being large and easy to press while the other buttons are all an equal distance and each within easy reach. No matter how long it is between playing with one I never forget the layout and I can instantly pick up and play using one no problem! Plus I have my lucky green one my brother and sister bought me.

$(KGrHqZ,!qYFEy1YLcwQBRihE1m-Iw~~60_35.J

Plus I had NO idea the amount of controllers available for the thing!

DSCF3111.jpg

Yup that is a keyboard AND a chainsaw you can see there!

Runners up have to be the Wii U Gamepad, it is surprisingly comfortable to hold and the off-TV functionality is really useful! Plus like Discoid mentioned, It has a headphone socket in the controller itself!

Also the 360 controller I really like the sleek feel, it lightweight, but sometimes it can actually feel a tad small in my hands, but I do have quite long thin fingers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day Jack Bauer (24): Favourite Controller

It is actually a bit strange regarding controllers, while I don't mind what controller that I play with for some reason I can spot flaws on them. The Gamecube controller is just too small/cramped for my hands and gives me hand ache (playing Sin & Punishment 2 hurt my hands within 20 minutes and just couldn't play any more) which is a shame since it has a good layout and understandable why people call this a favourite controller, the Dreamcast one was poorly built with sharp edges and an iffy analog stick and the Mega Drive 3 button controller is a lovely controller but few buttons so anything after (or even a few during that era) would be restricted to play.

Due to this it was very hard for me to come up with a favourite, so I've done is grabbed 4 controllers and giving them a test just for this post (360 Controller, Dual Shock 3, Wii U Pro Controller and Xbox Controller S).

LzCJDQZ.jpg

(Old Faithful)

Ah... The Dual Shock from 1 to 3. The reason why this is my favourite is because of several reasons. One of them being that it uses symmetrical textured analog sticks. I know there are plenty of people who do prefer the not symmetrical layout (to the point of asking Sony to make one for the PS4) however with my hand layout, my hands go directly to both analog sticks and in some games, it is less distance between the analog stick and the Square/X/O buttons than it is for the other layout (plus with some dual analog controls such as Super Stardust HD feel like the game is quicker and more responsive to play). Speaking of which, it also has a good D-Pad for 2D games (not the best, that goes to the Vita D-Pad due to being more comfy) and being split means that it feels responsible and less chance of a direction mistake (like pressing right might go down). The triggers are decent and do the job on the Dual Shock 3 (and good buttons on the previous models).

Another reason why is that the controller is comfy no matter which version (since they use a similar layout), something that I've noticed during the test was that while the other controllers slope towards the L1/R1 buttons, the Dual Shocks bulge out a bit for the L/R buttons giving it extra support.

Going back in time why the Dual Shock is my favourite controller it is because it is probably my most used controller layout out of the times that I've been playing games all the way back from 1998 when I played on the original Dual Shock when I got Gran Turismo. So the layout has stuck to me and while I can adapt to other controllers pretty quickly, it is the PlayStation layout that I go back to. Also on my old computer, I used to use the Logitech Dual Action that was pretty much a Dual Shock PC controller clone without the rumble and liked the controller only that the D-Pad was similar to the 360 controller.

At the end, it was still a tough decision. The Wii U Pro Controller is comfy and has the same symmetrical analog stick layout as the Dual Shocks however not every game supports this controller (stuff Gamepad only is out of bounds) which is a shame since I felt Nintendo did a good job with this controller and has a long battery life, probably one of the longest out of the wireless controllers. Xbox Controller S is more of a forgotten controller these days (due to that the original Xbox controller was huge, a bit big even with my hands and people used Dual Shock 2 or the Gamecube controller back then), it is comfy, it has analog triggers and strangely I found the D-Pad on the S better than the 360 D-Pad since it is stiffer making it better to play 2D games on. It is an evolution of the Dreamcast controller due to similar layout and able to plug a memory card in that I find pretty good (even though the Xbox doesn't really need one due to its hard drive but handy to have for transferring saves between consoles). The only downside of this is the placement of the Start and Back [select] buttons being on the left of the controller and not very easy to push. If that problem would have been fixed, it would have been my second choice. The 360 Controller was also a good controller and my PC controller (it is the wired one) with good analog triggers, as well as fixing the Start and Back positions, it is comfy but not as comfy as the Controller S due to the thinner design around the back/sides however the D-pad is a step back compared to the Controller S and doesn't feel as responsive (apparently earlier 360 Controllers have an even worse D-Pad) due to being looser with more likely to make mistakes on 2D games.

Sadly I haven't experienced either the Dual Shock 4 (apart from a 20 second test and possibility of the future) or the Sega Mega Drive 6 button controller/Saturn Model 2 controller, that are considered good controllers especially the latter and would actually really like to have one especially to play older games on the PC due to looking both comfortable and having a really good D-Pad. While there was a PC version of the Saturn controller, there are also knockoffs of it too...

Hmm... Favorite controller, eh? I've played on a LOT of systems in my lifetime, but I think I'll go with this:

Itsameluigi1290's Favorite Controller: Wii remote + Nunchuk.

Wiimote_and_Nunchuk.png

Yeah, crazy choice, huh? I got my Wii when it first came out, but I didn't own many games that actually used a Nunchuk. I got Brawl, however, and instantly the Wiimote+Nunchuk was my favorite. I just love using the thing, IDK why. XD

wii_u_gamepad_black-580x358.jpg

The Miles Electric The Wii U Gamepad

It's big, very big, compared to usual controllers, but for me the Wii U Gamepad is not unhandy at all.

Its curves (where it's supposed to be held) make the tactile illusion that it's soft and morbid. Same for the buttons.

The stylus is not big nor little, its shape and dimension make it very hard to loose in case you drop it.

And it has something other controllers don't have: a touch screen that can also serve as... well, a screen. Whenever your mom or brother want to watch tv, you can still continue to play, placidly lying on your sofa smile.png

• Thumbs Up 2