Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Look at this shit:

Saturn_HSS-0162.jpg

Perfection Itself.

Let me tell you about the Saturn controller. Everything that was good about the Genesis 6 Button controller? The light weight? The perfectly located buttons (the diamond layout that came to dominate the industry can go screw, and it's a real shame that Microsoft abandoned it rather than just redesign the Controller S again) with the perfect amount of travel and resistance? The precise floating D-pad that is never stiff but never loses the "snap" to it (well, so long as you have a genuine one or very good knockoff); and is a true 8-way pad rather than 4 ways + diagonals? It has it all. It's so perfectly weighted that you can make due with it for games that theoretically play better with analog controls (I'm talking PSX games in an emulator).

But on top of that, it has triggers. Triggers that also have the perfect response and placement of the rest of the buttons; making the Saturn controller have pretty damn close to the required amount of buttons to be used with post-PSX games and a superior controller over the Dual Shock for the racing games of that generation. Those triggers, combined with the 6 button layout, makes it by far the most versatile 2D controller. And a smoother, more organic and slightly larger design with slightly longer wingtips than the Genesis 6-Button that fits so well in your hand that you forget you are even holding it. And even the start button, so maligned in its position on the Genny, was integrated lower for easier access. So of course Epic Asshole Bernie Stolar couldn't have that, so America made due with... this:

controller.jpg

Which... even with all of the shit they piled on it (and the D-Pad which feels really odd, even if it doesn't work too terribly different), they couldn't hide its natural goodness. But god damn they tried. They even fucked up the start button.

But the Japanese (and later US) pads... they are the standard by which all 2D game controllers are judged. When Mad Catz unveiled the SFIV pads, the question among the die hard fighting game fans was not "are they better than the regular PS360 controllers"; because how could they not be? The question was "are they as good as the USB-converted Saturn controllers we were already using." And the answer was still no; even before the typical Mad Catz quality control went into effect.

Much like the Genesis controller before it, there also a paradoxically even better wireless version released to complete consumer apathy, so logically the concept that the Wavebird was the best wireless controller (before that was a standard feature) is factually incorrect.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't really feel very strongly about controllers at all, but here's my answer.

Favorite Controller: Xbox 360 Controller

English%5Cen-INTL_Xbox360_Wrlss_Controll

I never really use the console that came with it, but I pretty much always use this controller for PC gaming. It's comfortable, fits my hands well, and uh, yeah. It's good. I'm not really a big fan of the D-Pad, but I only really use the D-Pad in some emulated games anyway, and even then kind of rarely. So yeah, I don't really have any problems with it, and it's probably the controller I use most often.

Day 24: The Wavebird

wavebird.jpg

The Gamecube controller is beautifully designed.  It's got a nice grip, a simple layout and it can go for years without breaking. But there's only one thing better than a Gamecube controller, and that's a Gamecube controller you won't trip over.  And one that also lets you do this:

Day 24: "You can't Control Me!" Favorite Controller

gc_ctl_orange.jpg

Easy, the Gamecube controller! It's the one I had for years, and I always really liked it... not other controller feels as right as this one. My ONLY complainst is that the Z button isn't quite the easiest toi get to if you're using the triggers as well. Thankfully, the feeew games I played on the GCN didn't really use both at once. 

Day 24: Favorite Controller

This one's kinda hard because I don't really have a preference for a controller. As long as it works and doesn't break easily I don't really care. If there were any that stood out in particular to me however... it would be the Nintendo 64 Controller.

Also let me get this straight once and for all, you don't need 3 hands. THIS is how you hold a N64 controller, depending on the game.

iwata_sinpunish_content_01.jpg

Not, THIS uncomfortable mess that people keep thinking it's supposed to be.

I really liked the symmetrical, but at the same time, unique for different type of games-like design that they gave the N64 controller. It's especially effective so you don't have to worry about being right or left handed, both positions work (for GoldenEye/Perfect Dark at least, just switch on 1.2 for Control Scheme). Oh and I always really liked how the middle handle felt like a trigger you were pressing to shoot in FPSes too. Speaking of which...

Wii Remote and Nunchuk was another scheme I really like that stands out.

wii1.jpg

The idea of pointing at the screen to aim your virtual gun for a FPS was a horribly underrated concept and I loved the idea last gen. It's just a shame that the Wii was so underpowered that most of the games couldn't/didn't run at a respectable 60FPS to use said hardware well enough. Red Steel 2 seems like it handled this idea very well by being a game that uses both the Aiming to Shoot and Swing your remote as a Sword. I still need to play it though. As far as I'm concerned, No More Heroes and Resident Evil 4 have made the best use of the remote.

Runner Ups: 

I... have a soft spot for the Original Xbox controller. You know, the Dreamcast 2.0 like one that was HUGE. I just wish the thumbsticks didn't squeek so much, but aside from that, I still liked it a lot along with the GameCube controller. It's just hard for me to pick a favorite really, I like all of these. tongue.png

Previously on Day 23:

NEXT TIME ON 30 DAY GRUMPS! (...)

gc_controller.jpg

It's hard not to go with the Gamecube controller. I mean, it's pretty comfortable for one thing, and its juuuuust a teensy bit easier to hold than the N64 controller. I think the best quality of the Gamecube controller is that all the buttons on the right side of it are different sizes and shapes. I feel like it's a lot more intuitive than when I switch between Playstation and Xbox controllers and wonder which button is which when I'm not looking. Plus, this wasn't only the best controller for the Gamecube, it was possibly the best controller for the Wii as well, when the console allowed it to be used.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 24: Oh yeah this was a thing

gc_controller.jpg

It's hard not to go with the Gamecube controller. I mean, it's pretty comfortable for one thing, and its juuuuust a teensy bit easier to hold than the N64 controller. I think the best quality of the Gamecube controller is that all the buttons on the right side of it are different sizes and shapes. I feel like it's a lot more intuitive than when I- wait I'm supposed to say something original?

um

well

purple is a cool color

10/10

Runners Up:

• None. There will never be any controllers good enough to put here. Ever.

Going with my top 4 on this one since they are all equally my favorite.

635px-Xbox-360-Controller-Black_zpscc472

This is my most played controller, not only for xbox games, but PC games as well. With the Wireless Gaming Receiver for PC, I can even use my 360's headset through the controller as an input mic for Skype. Its also comfortable with the wireless freedom. The controller is also quite comfortable to grip, and if you got plentiful rechargable AA batteries, battery packs, or the Play n' Charge cable, you should be fine for power.

7782275_zps7e58a1a6.png

The are a lot of things that I like about the WiiU gamepad, one of them being the awesome Legend of Zelda skin in the pic above that I own. The feature for being able to choose to play the game on either the TV or gamepad is really convenient. For me it's not just so that other people can watch tv (even though my WiiU is hooked up in my bedroom), It allows me to use my tv to multitask with my laptop via HDMI while playing my WiiU game on the gamepad. The gamepad itself is also really comfortable to hold, however it doesn't have the best battery but the UBoost external battery pack makes up for it.

manette%20dreamcast.png

The Dreamcast controller is awesome with it's tony screen. It's always fun seeing the little animations as you play the game. The one thing I like about the Dreamcast controller is the ability to transfer your Chao from Sonic Adventure and play with your Chao straight off the VMU like it's one of those Tamogatchis. The controller itself may look a bit bulky, but it's pretty comfortable to hold for long gaming sessions on Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. The rumble pack for it is pretty strong; if it were wireless, you would be going through a lot of batteries.

Sega_Genesis_Controller_by_The_Penciler.

And last, but not least, the Sega Genesis controller. For me, it's where it all started for Sonic. The Genesis was my very first console and I loved every second of playing it. To this day, I still enjoy playing on this controller with all the classic Sonic games. Playing with the joypad for the Genesis is also pretty fun with the turbo buttons.

YjGi0zO.png

I wanted to really "not" mention this controller for a number of reasons. For one thing, the D-Pad is surprisingly dinky by Nintendo standards, it lacks two bumpers, it has no clickable sticks and the C-Stick is pushed to the sidelines by a mite. It is a controller designed entirely around Gamecube exclusive functionality.

And yet I have to be up front and give it credit where credit is due; it does this perfectly. Nintendo are no strangers of sacrificing the status quo in order to accommodate visions of their own, but when they pull it off it elevates things in so many ways that couldn't be done merely by the expected all-encompassing inputs. The Gamecube form factor is what I'd call the absolute best ergonomically designed controller, with handles and button shapes that perfectly wrap around the hands and fingers for most efficient control. Also, while the sizing of buttons may be seen as a bit of a "childish" design, the increased prioritizing of the A-Button through it's size and form is a mad stroke of genius. It's always on the forefront, the go to "action" button. Pressing it is pure satisfaction.

For all the "well I'm expecting this mentioned a lot" reactions, this controller has paid it's dues and it's earned the praise in regards to functionality. It's the ultimate controller for Nintendo's first party game efforts, and even some games, notably the Capcom Five ones (Viewtiful Joe, Killer7 and Resident Evil 4 in particular) compare infinitely better towards their PS2 versions. Quite incredible.

I'm also going to go with the GameCube Controller. Not only is it very durable but it improves upon the N64 Controller. The Z Button is easier to press, the "C Stick" can be used to move the camera, along with the L and R buttons, and you can still use the Controllers for certain games on the Wii, like Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Day 24: Favorite controller

wii+u+gamepad+render+2.png

The Wii U gamepad.

I love everything about this baby. Everything. The large yet light design, the comfortable d-pad, the wonderfully spaced ABXY buttons, the close-to-the-controller joysticks, the finger-hugging triggers, and screen. Oooh, the screen. I'm primarily a handheld gamer, due to the immersion factor I get out of an undisturbed gameplay session, so a screen which I could play console games on separately from the TV was a match made in heaven for me. I wasn't disappointed by it, either, as Wonderful 101 easily became the most immersive console game I have ever played as a direct result of this function.

The extra bells and whistles add to the controller, as well. There's a headphone jack for more immersive gaming experiences, TV control so that you don't have to search frantically for the remote when an embarrassing moment comes up on the TV, a camera for online chat sessions, an IR sensor so that you can play wiimote games off-TV, as well, and a touch screen for touch based applications.

I can see how this controller can be controversial if you've been raised on a specific type for years and years, but since I'm fresh out of the box, this controller is the piece da la resistance for me, and a welcome addition to my growing hardware collection.

Day 24: Complete

• Thumbs Up 3

I love the Wii U Gamepad. The controller is comfortable, the analog and digital are both easily-reachable, and the screen is amazing. Off-TV play is a dream.

Nintendo Land proves that the second screen concept can be amazing for future games. The controller is a revolution. It's a shame you can only use one per console right now. When it becomes financially-feasible and a console with enough power comes out, I can't wait to play multiplayer games on these things.

I really do like the PS3 controller. I've not tried many controllers but I really do like how its easy to hold and has a very nice color scheme with wide range of colours. 

It's not a revolution or anything but I prefer it to the PS3 one. Its motion sensing features are under used but I'm fine with that. I kinda like this one. 

Im going with the Gamecube controller. It's ergonomically sound, all the buttons are within reach, it has a very nice grip and it's pretty much suited to play any kind of game. It just feels good to use all around, it's the reason why I want the Gamecube controller adapter for the Wii U, because I dont really want to leave that beauty completely behind just yet.

Day 24! Favourite controller!

The GameCube controller is definitely my favourite, followed closely by the Xbox360 controller. What I like about the GCN controller is how it fits snugly into your hands because of the way it's sculpted. The buttons are great and easy to reach and the trigger buttons are clever too, where you can either press gently on them or press harder. One downside however...the D pad suuuucks.

As for the the 360 controller, you have the same problem where the D pad is a POS (until the Slin came out years later >>) but the rest is awesome! Comfortable controller, it's easy to reach all the buttons and it works with all the games you play.

Day 24 - Mambo's Favourite Thing to Fiddle With aka Best Controller

Gonna have to say this lil' baby right here:

z_md_control_pad_2.jpg

Well... I say baby but I remember it being quite chunky in my little hands, way back then. But I liked it. The game pad I had before would have been a Master System one and for my Amstrad, a controller that resembled a Master System one(!). But the keys had arrows depressed into the D-pad, so playing games would leave these arrows embedded into my fingers. It was quite painful after a while. sad.png So the upgrade to this heftier, smoother control pad really felt good. Smashing in button combos in Streets of Rage was awesome! The simplicity of the one-button press was great in Sonic games too.

I also had one of these, for some reason.

IMG_5150.jpg

This allowed for a button to be pressed at a constant rate without input, which IIRC was not necessary for any of the games I had. :/ I also didn't need the extra buttons but still, having six buttons felt kinda good!

These days my controller of choice would be the PS3/DualShock3 controller, as its analogue stick and button placement feels almost second nature to me, and the way it has little protruding "handles" to grip onto is great. Sure, the Xbox 360 controller resembles the feel of the Mega Drive controller more, but I find I have to look at the game pad rather than the game more often, and I'm not a fan of its asymmetric analogue sticks.

Day 24: Favourite Controller

GameCube Controller

Nintendo has had quite an history at creating controllers for their systems, whether they're plugged into their home consoles or built in their handhelds. In fact, their input has been notable throughout their life in the industry, from creating the simple NES controller to the more innovative Wii Remote and the more recent Wii U Gamepad.

Choosing the GameCube Controller over any other Nintendo controller (with the more recent Wii U Gamepad being a close second) goes in a big part for its ergonomic feel. This controller feels comfortable in my hands, ensuring a good grip for long play sessions as well; the analog sticks (directional and C-stick), while not 'clickable' when pushed down, are very good to control and rotate; the button layout is well thought out as you had the main A button in the centre while the rest are surrounding it, making it easier and closer for your thumb to press them, and the L and R triggers are very precise as you have different degrees of pressure, with a click sound to indicate a fully pressed input of the triggers.

Aside from its ergonomic feel and button layout, the design of the GameCube controller is probably the most interesting I've seen from Nintendo, much in line with the style they decided to take with the design of the GameCube console as well. Somehow, I miss this kind of design on their recent controllers and I really wish Nintendo could return back to such style, but on the other hand that's what makes the GameCube controller so memorable and truly likeable to me.

(Posted from my iPhone. I'll have to make any edits in the formatting plus the introduction after my return from Manchester!)

I also had one of these, for some reason.

IMG_5150.jpg

This allowed for a button to be pressed at a constant rate without input, which IIRC was not necessary for any of the games I had. :/ I also didn't need the extra buttons but still, having six buttons felt kinda good!

Oh wow, I had one of these as well! I never quite understood the Turbo function, so I'm guessing I didn't have any games that used it either.

In fact, thinking about it, the only game I had that needed the extra buttons in the first place was Eternal Champions...

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 25 - Least Favorite Character

LEO1.jpg

Leo Stenbuck - Zone of the Enders

Does anyone who played ZoE1 actually like this guy? Like... actually like him? I ranted about Hope Estheim from Final Fantasy XIII last time we did this, and while he's still top tier horrible, this little brat from ZoE is just as bad. Hell, he might even be worse because he's the main character.

So let's explain why he sucks - at the beginning of the game, his hometown is attacked by an army of giant Martian Mechs (called Orbital Frames). One of the commanders of the army, Viola, murders his friends right in front of him as he barely escapes from her Orbital Frame. Obviously since she's in a giant mech she kind of has an advantage. However, he barely survives the encounter and finds an Orbital Frame of his own called Jehuty.

Bla bla bla tutorial happens and at the end of the first level, he fights and defeats Viola. She's dazed on the ground, and Jehuty tells him to kill her so that she'll no longer be a threat. ... But he doesn't. He doesn't kill her, nor does he try to incapacitate her. He just stands there like a fucking fool until she gets up and flies away, cursing and proclaiming that she won't go easy next time and that he'll regret letting her live. Good job, asshole. Now because you wimped out of doing what you were supposed to do, she's off to probably murder more people just like she did your friends and family. What a hero.

Irrational pacifist characters are kind of a pet peeve of mine, if that hasn't been made clear already.

Here's the deal - every enemy he encounters, he lets live. Despite everyone telling him that a war is going on and that he really shouldn't be doing so, he does it anyway. The problem presents itself when you realize that he does nothing to actually contain them either. No forcing them out of their Frame, no putting them in jail, no nothing. He stands there like a moron every time an enemy is lying unconscious in front of him. This comes back to bite him in what's probably supposed to be a really emotional scene, but I couldn't be bothered to care because I knew it was his fucking fault anyway and I was practically yelling at my screen a minute earlier that exactly what would happen... would happen.

He's also a whiny little piece of shit, calling soldiers heartless monsters for killing the Martians in battle. Soldiers. Heartless monsters. For defending their planet and people. Mhm yeah ok.

I want to say he wisens up a bit and stops being a bitchy little shit by the end of the game, crying at the drop of a hat, but... nah, he doesn't. He's an insufferable twat from beginning to end.

Literally the only redeemable thing is that he gets better in ZoE2. ZoE1 though? I just wanted to punch him more than anything else.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Day 25: Least Favourite Character

I have a feeling I'm not alone here....

Princess_Elise_%28close-up%29.png

WHY. Just...why? Plot device, that's why. That's the only reason there was for Elise to exist in 06. Most of the significant events in 06 are triggered/causes/revolved around Elise. I see this as a problem, as they pretty much used her as an excuse for a lot of things. Not only that, but her character is somewhat shallow. She's the leader of the country, initially doesn't know who Sonic is, eventually develops a subtle attraction to him, and towards the end of the game full on loves him. This would be a problem....if she wasn't a damn human....and then she kisses Sonic towards the end of the game. I know it was to bring Sonic back to life, but Amy could have done it. It wasn't the only way. So it had to have been mostly intimate....which is disgusting, quite frankly.

Moral of the story is, don't have intimate relations with an animal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 25: Least favourite character:

Bubsy.png

Bubsy the Bobcat

Ugh...

OK, back in the early 1990s, animal mascots were all the rage thanks to the success of Sonic, and so many other companies tried to cash in. Some being successful, others... not.

But the biggest example of a failure of an animal mascot is this little shit that calls himself Bubsy.

The issues I have with this thing are the following:

Just look at him! The exclamation marked t-shirt was stupid enough, but why is his bottom part showing? You'd think it wouldn't be so bad, but in 3D, you're constantly behind Bubsy, meaning that you have to spend the whole game looking at his arse. Gross.

Also, his personality is beyond annoying. He tried to be all attitude and all that like Sonic, but Sonic worked because while he did have attitude, it wasn't forced down peoples throats, and had some restraint to prevent him from being annoying. Bubsy, on the other hand, NEVER SHUTS UP. His lines, "jokes" if you can even call them that, are not only unfunny, but because of his annoying as hell voice (which was at its worst in 3D), it gets very grating very fast.

Don't believe me? Try and watch this video of all of Bubsy's HILARIOUS lines in 3D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXGCb38zVNQ

Combine all of that, along with the fact that unlike some other crappy characters, this guy has no redeeming factors whatsoever. He's not cute, he's not funny, his attitude is extremely grating, and has always had a voice that makes nails on a chalkboard seem like Mozart.

Oh, and his failure practically put an end to the animal mascot, with the only survivors (characters that still have games being made) being Sonic and Rayman.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 25

Aigis_Idle_Stance.gif

Mind you, Yukari and her bullshit come close, but Aigis' spotlight hogging really annoyed me in Persona 3. Not to mention The Answer and the fact that she's so oil dumb as a playable character. Most of the time she doesn't even attack, and when she does, it's always "I WONT MISSSSSSSSS" and then she misses. What's also annoying is the constant "I NEED UR HALP", etc.

Mitsuru masterrace

marin karin

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 25: Least favorite character.

PeachMP8Official.png

Ugh.

UGH.

I just

I hate Peach. All she ever does is get captured. When she's playable, she's annoying and no fun to play as, especially SSB. At least Daisy only got captured once, and Rosalina was actually helpful to you. But Peach? No. She's okay in Paper Mario games, but I treat that as a spin-off/sub-series, so I won't count that.

Honorable mentions go to Baby Mario, Knuckles (yes, the one from Sonic, don't kill me) and Starscream.

This is a tough question, I have a shitload of these.

But with my current re-obsessing on Ace Attorney, I'm going to go with the man himself, Phoenix Wright.

"WTF man Phoenix is hilarious and is the main protagonist, can you you love a series and hate the protagonist."

Well, my answer to that is... I don't. I love Phoenix Wright.

At least I love the version of him that's a lawyer.

Hobo.gif

AA4 is a detestable piece of shit for numerous reasons, but the main one being Phoenix.

Not only does the game center around sucking his dick instead of giving Apollo a story, but it has some of the biggest fucking character derailment ever.

He's cocky, he's rude, he could have gotten an upstarting attorney disbarred, he DID cause an upstarting attorney to lose his job.

"Oh but that's because he hit rock bottom and it really got to him" Then explain the flashback case where he does nothing but mock Klavier the whole trial only to fall into a trap.

AA4 Phoenix is the biggest derailed piece of shit I've ever seen, and it's so good to have the old Nick back in Dual Destinies.

• Thumbs Up 1

In The Dig, you end up on a desolate alien planet, with two companions. Maggie Robbins gets on with her job. Ludger Brink is just a dick from start to finish.

The guy instantly tries to take charge, constantly throws his weight around and belittles you, the one actual astronaut in the group.

I was happy when he finally got his way and ended up dying because of it. Screw Brink.

Then you revive him!

Now, in addition to everything else, he gets obsessed with the life-giving crystals. This is of course partially why the alien race disappeared in the first place, but Brink just continues to be so insufferable throughout. Near the end, he dies again, but due to the deus ex machina of the ending comes back. Does he apolgise? Hell no! He just says "Oh yeah, I'm better now". No real thank you, no "sorry for being a douche"...fuck that guy.

Day 25: Least Favourite Character

Lightning.png

Lightning, from the Final Fantasy XIII series

Now I don't really HATE Lightning like a lot of people do, but I dislike her quite a lot because of how boring she was to me. She did have some cool moments and actually showed some emotion in the first game but in XIII-2 and Lightning Returns...I really didn't give a shit about her. Nothing about her clicked with me.

Lightning Returns in particular is pretty damn painful to play since it's mainly focused on her (and because the game is plagued with bad game design choices but that's besides the point). It's even part of that games plot that God has taken her emotions from her so that they don't get in the way of her job, and it just makes the game 100x more boring since she's as interesting as watching paint dry. 

The only thing I really like about her, is her weapon. The Gunblade is a pretty cool weapon. Her design (for the first game anyway) is also quite nice. Aside from that...meh.