Awoo.

Anyone else think Shadow the Hedgehog's soundtrack is underrated?

Froggy

This game has some really killer tunes in my opinion (I get that the rock isn't for everyone), and it kind of saddens me how so many fans label the soundtrack as forgettable, saying they couldn't remember anything besides Westopolis after playing. A lot of the tunes were stuck in my head after my first play through, but maybe I just have weird taste.

Some of my favorite tracks:

Lost Impact

Lava Shelter

Space Gadget

Lethal Highway

Death Ruins

Mad Matrix

The main theme

Edit: Somehow forgot to mention Cosmic Fall

Thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 1

I will admit that there are some pretty plain themes in there, I can't remember the tunes for some of the other stages unless I replay them, but I kind of feel like people are letting their impression of the game itself distract them from the music. Or all the gunshots during gameplay ruin the experience ha

While I don't doubt the musical quality, I honestly (And I doubt I'm the only one) think this soundtrack is REALLY forgettable.

• Thumbs Up 5

The soundtrack isn't bad, but it has very few songs that stand out to me.  It mostly just comes across a bunch of melodramatic metalcore or royalty free industrial/techno music.  In fact, the only two that are really amazing to me are Death Ruins and Sky Troops.  Other than that, the only other track that stands out are Cryptic Castle and the menu themes, the multiplayer menu screen especially.  The vocal themes are sort of generic-sounding to me and aren't really my cup of tea.

Again, none of the tracks are bad, and I think under different contexts some of them could probably stand out a lot better, but as is, it's mostly forgettable to me, albeit still very well composed.

• Thumbs Up 3

The only things I can remember from the level themes are Digital Circuit, which is just too cool, and that inane piano solo in that one acid surfing level.

The only two that really come to mind are Sky Troops and Digital Circuit. The soundtrack isn't bad, but it's certainly not memorable by any means.

I don't think it's one of the best soundtracks in the series, but it certainly has some good tunes.  I really like I Am, Digital Circuit, and Sky Troops.  And I've recently been listening to Chosen One quite a bit, it's one of my new favorite vocal themes in the series.  It's actually the only Sonic song I've purchased so far.

The only track I really enjoyed/remembered was the stage clear track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5aIvdiawrY

As for the soundtrack as a whole, it's passable, but nothing sticks out as memorable besides the stage clear track, IMO. 

This game has some really killer tunes in my opinion (I get that the rock isn't for everyone), and it kind of saddens me how so many fans label the soundtrack as forgettable, saying they couldn't remember anything besides Westopolis after playing. A lot of the tunes were stuck in my head after my first play through, but maybe I just have weird taste.

Some of my favorite tracks:

Lost Impact

Lava Shelter

Space Gadget

Lethal Highway

Death Ruins

Mad Matrix

The main theme

Thoughts?

We are now BFFs.

The vocal songs are the only really great ones for me. I kinda remember Lava Shelter, but that's it.

Waking Up, Chosen One, I Am All of Me, and Never Turn back are all classics, though (I really don't like Almost Dead, it's the most forgettable).

• Thumbs Up 1

What, no love for Cosmic Fall here at all? Nobody? Considering it's even been used recently for Death Egg in ASR/T...?

Admittingly, this is the one level I was pulling for if Generations were to get even one level of DLC, especially for remixes of this. Skydiving amongst the shower of pieces from the ARK falling and Black Bull hunting you through the level, Modern Sonic focusing on the Black Arms and ignoring Eggman for the real threat, Classic Sonic focusing on Eggman and activating Black Arms technology to clear the path...

• Thumbs Up 3

I love GUN Foretress the most. I sound like elevaeter music but it fits!

• Thumbs Up 1

I only remember Digital Circuit, Lost Impact, Cosmic Fall and Lava Shelter. Honestly to me, the majority of Shadow the Hedgehog's soundtrack was pretty damn forgettable and boring.

What, no love for Cosmic Fall here at all? Nobody? Considering it's even been used recently for Death Egg in ASR/T...?

Admittingly, this is the one level I was pulling for if Generations were to get even one level of DLC, especially for remixes of this. Skydiving amongst the shower of pieces from the ARK falling and Black Bull hunting you through the level, Modern Sonic focusing on the Black Arms and ignoring Eggman for the real threat, Classic Sonic focusing on Eggman and activating Black Arms technology to clear the path...

I knew I was forgetting one, great track and a fun level too.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I love the songs I Am...All of Me and All Hail Shadow (which is actually one of my favorite songs), and enjoy the music for Space Gadget, I must agree with those who say that the game's soundtrack is anything but memorable.

I'm in the camp that's not too much of a fan. Although I think Lava Shelter and (yes) Westopolis have merits, even if you have to hear the latter like sixty times if you are looking for the various endings. On first listening after a while away from the game Westopolis is a good piece. I think most of the aversion to this soundtrack is the nu-metal aspect which they used to give personality to Shadow's anti hero role, but like the game as a whole is just taken as a reminder of how much of a flop this game was along with the absolute lack of understanding Sega showed with a gun-toting hedgehog. Despite that however my favorite songs in the game are from the nu-metal bands. Specifically Julien-K's ending songs, which I think are in the neutral-bad endings. I don't remember too well. The waking up song, from the ending where Shadow believes he is an android and teams up with Omega. Also my favorite ending in the game. Androids, man.

I can only really remember most of the vocal tracks and Westopolis.

Listening to Black Comet and Cosmic Fall that a couple people posted right now, though...they're pretty awesome, but I don't see them sticking in my head anytime soon.

While I enjoyed the soundtrack, it probably isn't among one of my favorites of that era of Sonic games.  There just isn't enough variety and too much of it just kind of blurs together, making not too many tracks stand out.  A few tracks I can even remember how they sound without popping in one of the CDs is Westopolis (because you hear it every time you start up a new game) and the 2P versus mode theme and that's only because it's a remix of Radical Highway (one of my favorite Sonic tracks).  It's not bad by any means, just not as memorable as some other Sonic games' soundtracks.

Though I am a HUGE fan of the vocal CD. :D

I can only really remember most of the vocal tracks and Westopolis.

Listening to Black Comet and Cosmic Fall that a couple people posted right now, though...they're pretty awesome, but I don't see them sticking in my head anytime soon.

Try these man:

There are some very good stuff in the game, like the Vocal themes, SOME level music and I love the cutscene and menu music.

I love Shadow's soundtrack, but it is very very plain in context.

It was through listening to the songs, nice and loud, undistracted on headphones that let me appreciate all the intricacies of the songs.

In the game though, the music isn't very loud, the sound effects and speech drown it out further, and the songs themselves don't have strong melodies - they have some nice energy to them and if you pay attention there is melody to be had, but they aren't strong or memorable, despite being energetic and noisy, the music in Shadow seems to be far more about creating an atmosphere than providing a strong, memorable song.

So in short, I do love the soundtrack when listening to it standalone, but in-game?  Completely understand why people find it forgettable.

My fave tracks are Lost Impact, Lava Shelter, Death Ruins, Mad Matrix, Cosmic Fall and The Chosen One.  I also love Final Haunt for just how plain unusual and slow-paced/upbeat it is for a final stage song.

• Thumbs Up 2

Circus Park, Digital Circuit and Black Comet are the only ones that I remember and actually quite like. Everything else is sadly quite forgettable. I think it's because almost every stage has similar instrumentals which makes them all (bar a few) sound similar to each other. I do like the vocal songs though, Waking Up and The Chosen One being my favourites.

Nobody's mentioned Final Haunt?

Visually the stage is identical to Black Comet, and contains many of the same set pieces. But the music for each stage is completely different in tone. In Final Haunt it's quite upbeat, as this is where Sonic and co are driving the Black Arms away. Black Comet is the opposite, cause it sees the Black Arms bringing GUN to the brink of destruction. I don't really like ShTH's soundtrack, in fact I'd let it as one of the series' worst, but I did like that sometimes there was a really good reflection of the story events in the music. They had to put some thought into it beyond just the levels appearances because of all the reused environments. You can hear the differences in atmosphere pretty well in Lost Impact and The Doom too.

• Thumbs Up 4

A lot of the music is really good.  I'm surprised GUN Fortress only got one mention.  It's so wonderfully chill despite all the chaos going on.  It's probably cause there's such an abundance of GUN enemies that the dark gauge stays filled.

• Thumbs Up 2