Awoo.

"When did that happen again...?" The Sonic game timeline thread

Big Panda

The Sonic games have no definitive chronology. That's a fact we all know. But it doesn't stop fans from speculating about it.

This is my personal interpretation of the timeline:

Early-Classic-

-Sonic the Hedgehog (MD/Gen)

-Sonic the hedgehog (GG/MS)

-SegaSonic Arcade

-Sonic CD

-Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (MD)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Sonic and Tails story) (MD) (continues directly after Sonic 2)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Knuckles story) (continues directly after Sonic and Tails story)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I (continues directly after S3&K)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Metal (begins in the short gap between Ep I and 2)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II

Mid-Classic-

-Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GG/MS)

-Sonic Spinball

-Sonic Chaos

-Sonic Triple Trouble

-Tails Sky Patrol

-Knuckles Chaotix

-Sonic Labyrinth

-Tails Adventure (takes place at the same time as Labyrinth: Labyrinth's Manuel says Tails is away on his own adventure at that point)

Late-Classic-

-Sonic the Fighters

-Sonic 3D (Blast): Flickie's Island

-Sonic Blast

-Sonic R

Early-Millenium-

-Sonic Adventure

-Sonic Shuffle

-Sonic Adventure 2

-Sonic Advance

-Sonic Advance 2

-Sonic Heroes

-Shadow the Hedgehog

-Sonic Battle (Shadow has his memory back, implying ShtH has already happened)

-Sonic Advance 3

Late-Millenium-

-Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) (self-retconned)

-Sonic Rush (above self-retcon causes Blaze to be displaced in the space/time continuum)

-Sonic Riders

-Sonic and the Secret Rings

-Sonic Rush Adventure

-Sonic Rivals

-Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

-Sonic Rivals 2

Modern-

-Sonic Unleashed

-Sonic and the Black Knight

-Sonic Free Riders

-Sonic Colours

-Sonic Generations

-Sonic Lost World

-Sonic 2015

Future-

-Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

What are your thought on my timeline up there? And what are your interpretations?

I've always not bothered to put too many spinoffs or Game Gear games into a timeline. Mainly to avoid clutter, but also it seems shaky about where they land.

I feel that Sonic R, or Fighters, is one game that probably wouldn't exist in the timeline regardless.

But I also suppose what rules you should establish for what makes it in or not. Like, one question one could ask, is there a connection in a newer game to an old game? Like, okay, since Cream appeared in the Sonic Advances first, then appeared in Heroes, those games could be considered canon. Then, perhaps Sonic Battle is canon due to its connection to Sonic Advance 3 (or so I heard).

But then again, you could say the same for Knuckles Chaotix since the Chaotix (most of them anyway)are in Heroes, but that's a reintroduction from what I heard.

Ehh... anyway, I think it's best not to try to stuff so many titles into a timeline.

The way I see it, it goes something like this:

The Beginning

All the backstory; Chaos gets pissed and is sealed away, Master Zik is born and the Deadly Six is formed, the Ark Incident happens, all the characters are born, Sonic meets Eggman for the first time etc.

The Classic Era

• Sonic the Hedgehog - Eggman learns about the Chaos Emeralds, tries to use them for bad shit, Sonic stops him.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Eggman makes the Death Egg, Sonic and Tails send it crashing.
  • Sonic 3 and Knuckles - Eggman repairs and relaunches the D.E., but t gets blown up.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Eggman regains Metal Sonic from Little Planet and tries to use the planet for a new Death Egg, but ends up with a Pyrrhic Victory (yeah, he loses, but Little Planet's still got that Egg shell *ha ha* around it...).
  • Note: Sonic CD's placement is a bit sketchy, largely due to Mecha Sonic. Is he a prototype of Metal Sonic? Or is he merely a less-advanced temporary replacement until Little Planet returns?
  • Generations is also tricky to pin down. Maybe sometime after 3&K?

The Adventure Era

• Sonic Adventure - Eggman unleashes Chaos, but is hijacked for what would be the first time for a long while, and Chaos effectively dies in the end.
  • Sonic Adventure 2 - Shadow's unleashed, but ends up falling to Earth and is saved by Eggman.
  • Sonic Heroes - Metal Sonic tries to pull a Starscream on Eggman, and gets his tush handed to him for his short-sightedness. Oh, and Shadow's amnesiac and might be an android.
  • Shadow the Hedgehog - Shadow learns his past from The Villain From Every B Movie Ever and decides "fuck it", as does the player after going through the game 10 times just to see what the really realsies ending is.

The Modern Era

• Sonic Rush - Sonic meets Blaze and fights against Eggman and his doppelganger-who's-really-from-the-future-but-don't-tell-Eggman-that-yet.
  • Sonic Rush Adventure - Sonic goes to Blaze's world and fights against Captain I've-Totally-Got-Nothing-To-Do-With-Eggman-No-Sir  and by the end of it, Nega says "fuck it, I'm killing my idiot ancestor".
  • Sonic Rivals - Nega tries to invalidate his existance (is he suicidal or something? Is he really so shat on in the future he's commit suicide and mass murder via Grandfather Paradox?) but is foiled.
  • Sonic Rivals 2 - Nega tries AGAIN to earn his "Not Thinking Things Through" Award, and is exiled to Spinoff Land for his troubles.
  • Sonic and the Secret Rings - Sonic fights against the genie from Aladdin, who is regretably NOT voiced by Robin Williams.
  • Sonic Unleashed - Dark/Light Gaia are given an early wake up call by Eggman, and everything's sorted out in the end.
  • Sonic and the Black Knight - Sonic goes to Camelot, which is notably not a silly place, and Amy gets pissed in the end.
  • Sonic Colours - Sonic goes to Eggman's theme park IN SPACE! and blah blah blah you know what he does, it's like his day job or something.
  • Sonic Generations - Using the Time Eater after his park venture went downhill, he and his past self try to fuck up time and space to kill Sonic and his past self. Three guesses how that turns out.
  • Sonic Lost World - Getting out of the White Space via Sonic Team contract and being the main villain n' all, Eggman takes over the Deadly Six, they cause bad shit to happen thanks to Sonic, and both he and they are beaten.
  • Sonic Thingermabobber - Eggman does a thing. Sonic stops him.
  • ???
  • Note: Generations shows '06 happened in some form, but lord knows what that is: alternate timeline, erased timeline, Schrodinger's Timeline, blah.

So basically, no spinoffs unless Blaze and Silver are involved, since their backstories from each of those games are used by Generations.

I never count the spin offs in the timeline, and side series like Rush, Riders or Advance can slot in just about anywhere considering characters have already been introduced and they'll make sense. You only have to take a few details into account. For example, Advance 3 has to take place at some point after Battle and Battle has to take place after Heroes (but not ShTH as I pin this on poor writing). And games like Rush or Advance 2 could theoretically take place before Adventure. Lost World, Unleashed and Colours (not the DS version) too could have happened any time at all after S4. Generally I just stick them in the order they were released. It's the easiest way to make sense of it all. The lone exceptions to the rule that I can think of right now are Chronicles, which takes place a non-specific time after all of the other existing games, and CD which only fits between 1 and 2.

If the series had more of an over-arching plot then trying to decipher the chronology would be interesting. But with most of the stories being totally self-contained without reference to past events, there's no real need for it. To say the specifics...

• Sonic 1 > Sonic CD > Sonic 2 > Sonic 3&K > Sonic 4
  • Sonic Adventure > Sonic Adventure 2 > Sonic Heroes > Shadow > '06
  • Sonic Generations
  • Sonic Chronicles, although being set perpetually in the future means it might as well be non-canon by default.

Most other things will fit in anywhere provided one or two criteria are met.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty sure Tail Sky patrol is actually the first game in the series, seeing as it takes place a couple of years before tails ever meets Sonic...also I could be worng but I've always thought that Sonic 2 GG is set before Sonic 2 MD.

As for there being too many titles in the timeline...I dunno, I kinda have two versions of the timeline in my head. The "core" chronology that just has the main console titles, and another that includes every title that's definitly non-cannon, stuff like spinball, mean bean and Chronicles. Everything else, as long as there's no reason it couldn't have happened, happened.

Pretty sure Tail Sky patrol is actually the first game in the series, seeing as it takes place a couple of years before tails ever meets Sonic...

That's Tails Adventure, not Sky Patrol. Plus I think that plot element is US-only.

That's Tails Adventure, not Sky Patrol. Plus I think that plot element is US-only.

It's Japan only. Only the Japanese manual states that Tails didn't meet Sonic yet and had NO experience. The US manual states that they had already met and had split up on their own separate adventures. 

I have the japanese manual/official canon stories for each Genesis Era game plus Sonic 4 saved onto a document, in the order that I believe they happened within the Timeline. 

(It's kinda long)

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

The evil mad scientist Dr. Eggman is up to his old nasty tricks again. "Sonic…that annoying, impertinent hedgehog. Thanks to him, my great plans are always laid to waste! Oh, but this time, I'm going to rub him out with the power of science! Ha ha ha ha ha…"

South Island is a treasure trove of gems and ancient ruins. They say that it's the island where the mystical Chaos Emeralds lie. The Chaos Emeralds are a super-material that give energy to all living beings. Also, when applied to scientific purposes, they can be used for nuclear and laser based weaponry. However, nobody knows exactly how to get ahold of these emeralds. At the same time, though, they do say that the reason why South Island is always moving is because the emeralds are somewhere inside the island's hazy depths.

One day, crisis visited upon the island. And who showed up with it but Dr. Eggman and his cronies. "I'll find those emeralds even if I have to dig up the entire island to do it!"

Dr. Eggman set up a fort in one corner of the island, and went about carrying out his plan.

"Eggman, you still haven't had enough?" Sonic hurried as soon as he heard the news. Dr. Eggman never seemed to leave him alone, even though Sonic had beaten him every time so far. It sounded like Dr. Eggman considered Sonic his sworn enemy, but he was never any match for Sonic.

However, this time something is amiss.

"Have you seen it, Sonic? This time is going to be different! Because this time, I've turned all the animals on the island into robots!"

"E, Everybody!?"

"All of them go about in accordance to my orders. In other words, Sonic, everyone on the island is your enemy! Gya— Ha ha ha ha ha ha ^cough^ ^ack^ ^ahem^. This time, the world really will be all mine!"

This is terrible! Hurry! Sonic the Hedgehog - everyone is waiting for your help!

SONIC THE HEGDGEHOG CD
Small and beautiful star, Little Planet. This star appears over a huge lake, called Never Lake, for only one month of the entire year.

The star, which was also called the Miracle Planet, was a place where the wonderful "Time Stones", that commanded Time, lay dormant.

An event in which the Time Stones caused a miracle to occur, was when it would transform the polluted water, and the surrounding desert around it, into a beautiful lake.

The evil scientist, Dr. Eggman, kept a close watch on it. "The star, Little Planet, where the Time Stones sleep, is suitable for my fortress!"

Little Planet was soon chained over Never Lake, and he began to build a huge fortress. After finding all of the Time Stones, Time flowed freely, and he set forth to attain his world conquest.

Although Sonic, who knew nothing of this plan, was on his way to Never Lake to watch the planet.

"What? Sonic? Coming here? How convenient."

Dr. Eggman heard of of his coming, and had a sparkle in his eye as he wore a fearless smile.

Sonic ran up, and saw the Little Planet attached by a chain, to a rock, and became very upset. He looked at the rock, and saw Dr. Eggman's face, inevitably, in the slope.

"That's Eggman!"

"This time, I will destroy what stops my plans..! And, with the Time Stones, I can conquer the world! Ho, Ho, Ho."

A blue sparkle of light, waited, hidden among the shadows behind Dr. Eggman as he laughed loudly

Although it was Sonic who had destroyed Dr. Eggman's ambitions easily, can the Little Planet be freed?

"OK! As long as I have courage, I can do anything!"

SEGASONIC THE HEDGEHOG ARCADE
The ever-vengeful Eggman has established a new island base stocked with a variety of dangerous traps and other assorted sadistic devices. He doesn't care about the Chaos Emeralds today: he just wants to make Sonic suffer. With a giant mobile prison tank, Eggman manages to capture his long-time nemesis along with buddies Ray the Flying Squirrel and Mighty the Armadillo. He takes his prisoners to the island and locks them up in a cell, which they promptly break free of only to be blasted by a geyser clear to the far end of the isle. There's only one way off Eggman's archipelagic deathtrap, and that's through his giant tower base. Unfortunately, the entire island is rigged with traps that go off at the push of a button, and Eggman has his eye on the escapees.

TAILS' ADVENTURES
Floating along the spring-like South Pacific, the tiny island not found on any map, Cocoa Island... the beautiful island resting atop coral reefs, said to be home to sleeping Chaos Emeralds since ancient times.

It is on this island that Tails lives. This story from here, occurs before Tails met Sonic...

Tails' real name is Miles Prower, and the two-tailed fox has a research lab on the south side of this island called Tails House. Every day at this lab is the same for Tails.

One day, when Tails was enjoying an afternoon nap under the shade of the forest near Tails House. The green of the forest punctuated by flashes from the sun, the flutter and chirping of the birds, Tails felt very nice by the forest. However...

Dokaan!! The sound of an explosion suddenly echoed through the forest!!

'Ah! What was that?!!' Tails tossed and flurried out of half-sleep.

'Tails! Tails! Big trouble!' a small Flicky bird shouted to Tails. 'Tails! The Battlecook army has arrived at this island!'

'Battlewhat!?' Tails didn't understand a thing.

'It's Battlecook! The Dictator Great Battlecook's Imperial Army!!'

'Grate Batl Kook? Impryal Armie???

'Great BattleCook is looking for Chaos Emeralds to take over the world!'

'What!?'

Suddenly before Tails dumbfounded eyes, one after another the trees of the forest were mowed down, and the silhouette of a giant mecha appeared in the flames. It was true. Scheming to take over the world, Great Battlecook the 15th had lead a massive battalion to Cocoa Island in order to gain the hidden powers of the Chaos Emeralds.

'Finally, finally I've found it! Kokoko..koke-!! With the Chaos Emeralds, world conquest will come naturally! Ok, move out on the double! Bring me the one remaining Chaos Emerald! Kokokokokoke-!!'

The forest, the mountains, everywhere you looked the entire island had gone up in flames. Truly, Cocoa Island is in a big pinch! To stand up to the threat on this island, there is only Tails. Mustering up all his courage, can Tails smash the terrible ambition of Great Battlecook? Can he rescue Cocoa Island from this peril?!

Up til now Tails has no experience, this will certainly be the start of his first great adventure....!!

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2
(Translated by SamIAm. Translator’s Note: In this translation, the sentences have been left as grammatically intact as possible in order to more accurately convey the exact wording of the original text. This method, however, results in an unusual sentence structure and flow.)

Along the way of one of his impulsive adventures, Sonic suddenly discovered the island. It was a small island, with pleasant green fields of grass spread throughout it.

"All right, it's time to take a little break." he said.

Drawing an arc of white exhaust, Sonic slid his favorite plane, the Tornado, down toward the island's silhouette…and almost as if it were following him, a shiny little figure came down and suspiciously disappeared on the other side of the island.

--The Legend of West Side Island--
They say that a very long time ago, the people of this island used mysterious stones to advance their civilization, and they achieved great prosperity. However, when those people people tried to use the stones in the wrong way, their prosperity vanished overnight. After that, they say that the gods sealed the stones away somewhere on the island.

One day, not long after Sonic had been on the island, Sonic noticed something tagging along to his rear. He turned around to see a little fox. When the fox realized he had been seen, he scurried into the shadows under the palm trees. But when Sonic turned and ran off, the fox followed behind him as fast as he could.

After a while, Sonic said "Well, he can do whatever he wants." and left it at that, not taking particular interest in whatever it was the fox was doing.

"Miles Prower" was the fox's name. Miles actually had two tails, which is why the animals on the island all called him "Tails". They teased him a lot because of those two tails. But when he saw Sonic come to the island, he changed.

"I want to be cool, too!" he resolved. After that, he started tagging along behind Sonic for all hours of the day.

Then came that one early afternoon. Miles found a beautiful aeroplane down at the beach. Miles loved all sorts of machines and vehicles, and he practically tripped over himself running towards the plane.

That slim fuselage, and those wings that could cut like a knife! Fascinated by this beautiful craft, Miles ran around to see the other side, and there he stopped dead in his tracks. Sonic was taking a nap under the wing. Miles turned right around and went back to the other side of the plane, and then it happened…

A flash shown off in the woods.

Then came an enormous explosion, and up rose a pillar of fire after it. Shards of rock and pieces of tree came showering down from the sky. Miles, who had narrowly escaped being blown away by crawling under the plane, opened his eyes. Reflected in them was the the red of the burning forest, and robots digging at the ground as though they were looking for something. Miles couldn't figure out what was happening.

The explosions continued ceaselessly, and the island was blanketed in flames. Miles was at a loss as he looked on, but then he felt the presence of someone standing next to him. He looked over, and there was Sonic glaring at the burnt up forest. "Eggman, you !" mumbled Sonic as he kicked up some sand and ran off into the forest. Something had started, something truly incredible. This was the hunch Miles had as he reflexively took off in the same direction as Sonic.

"Uwa—Ha Ha Ha Ha!!"

From the forest echoed that all too familiar vulgar laugh. It's him - the one and only Dr. Eggman.

"I've found it at last! The place where the Chaos Emeralds sleep! Following Sonic worked out perfectly! Now I should be able to finish my ultimate weapon: The Death Egg! I"ll be waiting for you, Sonic! This time, my friend, this time I will beat you, and all the Emeralds will be mine! Then I shall be the conqueror of the entire world! Gya— Ha Ha Ha Ha!"

The stage is set. Now it's time for you to bring the curtain to a close on this adventure once and for all!

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 3
In his Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic destroyed Dr. Eggman's base, the Death Egg; now the debris has started its fall to Earth. And right in the path of the falling base floats a giant cloud-like mass. The giant shadow of Death Egg hides the cloud... Towering mountains, a gigantic forest... the cloud is none other than the legendary floating island, suspended in the sky.

The Death Egg became a fireball and hit the floating island; mountains were destroyed, the forests decimated...

This disastrous event greatly alters the island's path, forcing it towards the Earth.

The island crashes into the sea surface. The impact creates a gigantic wave, but the island doesn't sink. The floating island now sits on the sea surface as if nothing happened.

Many days pass...

On an island far from where the floating island hit the sea surface, Tails, a two-tailed fox, read a strong Chaos Emerald reaction on the Jewel Reader, a machine he has developed.

"Maybe this has something to do with that big wave I saw a few days ago..." he said.

Thinking there may be trouble, he decided to consult with Sonic.

At the same moment, while relaxing on the beach, Sonic found a small ring washed up on shore. Sonic looked at the ring carefully, and noticed some ancient characters carved on it.

The ring reminded Sonic of a legend he once heard about a "mystery island."

In an ancient time, the "mystery island" was part of the main continent. A people with an extraordinary culture inhabited it. That civilization had built a peaceful and happy society using the energy of something they called "The Mighty Stone". But at a certain point, a faction of dark-minded elders tried to steal the energy of the stone, and by accident made that energy explode.

The civilization was wiped out in a second, erased from history. Time passed, and a god descended from the sky to the newly created "mystery island". The sky god restored part of the civilization to the island, and threw the "Mighty Stone" into the open sky...

A ring washed up on the shore - the legend of the "mystery island" - Sonic, feeling his excitement build, made his preparations for another adventure.

Dr. Eggman, who managed to escape from the Death Egg before it fell, had heard that Chaos Emeralds are supposedly buried on the floating island. From the crevice created by the fall of the base, a massive presence of Chaos Emeralds is detected.

"If their energy could be utilized", Dr. Eggman thought, "the Death Egg may be able to fly into orbit again."

Dr. Eggman then quickly built a base on the floating island to harvest the Emeralds. He kidnapped animals and transformed them into robots, and changed the island's environment into a nightmare with his new Environment-Control Machine.

"Yes! Even if Sonic comes to the island, it will be too late! This time the Emeralds are mine!".

The actors and the stage are now ready; here starts Sonic the Hedgehog's newest adventure.

--------------------------------
From the: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Japanese Game Manual Translation by: Michael "G. Silver" Stearns

That day, as he always seemed to, he was making his patrol around the alter on the island. Protecting the 7 Chaos Emeralds who sleep and control the power of the "Pillar" is the mission he has been charged with.

His name, Knuckles the Echidna. But to inhabitants of the island, he is an echidna called "Knuckle." Born and raised on the island, all of nature and the animals who live in it are his friends. And that which protects his friends is none other than the Chaos Emerald's crystaline "Pillar."

Suddenly something awoke.

Just as he was verifying that that not one Chaos Emerald was out of place, the Chaos Emerald right before his eyes rose and a strange vibration started.

Knuckles was confused by this phenomenon, which had never occurred before. In the blink of an eye, violent shaking occurred within the Chaos Emeralds. Then, as the shaking reached its climax, a "kiiiin" sound was heard along with a brilliant flash. The next thing Knuckles remembered was his own body, seeming to be lightly floating, and at that moment he was interrupted.

When Knuckles regained consciousness, he found his body thrown outside of the altar. He slowly go up, and what entered his eyes as he looked around was the Chaos Emerald altar--partially destroyed. In a flurry, Knuckles flew into the altar. However, in place of the emerald that should have been there, were fragments left of what had disappeared...

In a daze, Knuckles left the altar. He gazed off into the distance, powerless... it seemed like a peculiar thing had appeared around the lake. The sight of the giant, round, egg-like body that Knuckles beheld sent a shiver down his spine.

"That big egg is the dragon in the legend's...."

That egg appeared in the legend depicted in the Chaos Emerald altar--there was no doubt that it was the egg which would bring disaster to the island.

Some days later, Knuckles was patrolling the altar of the island's seven Chaos Emeralds, but all traces of the Emeralds had vanished. While in his relentless investigation of the island, Knuckles encountered an unfamiliar man in the woods.

The man called himself Dr. Eggman, and already knew Knuckles was the guardian of the Chaos Emeralds. He said to Knuckles:

"I am a scientist who came here to stop (?) that egg. Uumu, since you are the Chaos Emeralds' guardian I knew I had to inform you. The truth is, there is an evil hedgehog named Sonic that has been interfering in my research, he is the one who has stolen this island's Chaos Emeralds."

"The Chaos Emeralds were stolen....!"

With Dr. Eggman's ingenious lies, Knuckles was very easily tricked. That is how Knuckles' challenge to Sonic was started.

SONIC AND KNUCKLES
Dr. Eggman's large fortress, the Death Egg, was going to escape into space, but Sonic crashed his 'Egg into the ground again. As he escaped from the falling space station, Sonic was thrown down by the wind and into the "floating island", where huge mushrooms grow luxuriantly inside a deep forest.

The Death Egg's safety was confirmed as it crashed into into the large volcano of the "floating island". Sonic was annoyed that the Death Egg had survived and would not feel totally at ease, unless it was completely destroyed. Sonic realizes Dr. Eggman couldn't complete the Death Egg properly due to the amount of time he had to work on it!

Just as Sonic ponders this, Knuckles appears from the door hidden in a thicket, and looks around cautiously. After a quick look, he ventures out and disappears into the wood. Sonic waits for Knuckles to disappear, and then pushes a button to open the door to the room. As he enters the room, Sonic is astounded by a dazzling bright light, that seems to reflect in his eyes. The light came from the special shining "Super Ring".

"What _is_ this ring?"

Sonic couldn't tear his curious eyes away from this shining ring. He thought the ring was wonderful, but the moment he touched it with his hand, Sonic heard a shrill sound and was catapulted across the dimensions.

When Sonic arrived on the other side, he ended up in a large room he had never seen before. Sonic found it odd that the solem altar that was built into the large room had not collected dust at all. Just as Sonic looked up at the large altar, he faltered in surprise. In the center of the altar, sat the "Master Emerald", a huge deitied Chaos Emerald.

What is up with this strange altar? Just what does this Knuckles guy do here? This island has a massive secret and Sonic bets that Dr. Eggman knows what it is! But Sonic will have to face Knuckles in a final confrontation in order to get to him!

The "Sonic the Hedgehog" adventure on the "floating island" is underway and there is still more to come!

TAILS' SKYPATROL
While flying aimlessly on a solo adventure, Tails discovers a small island and lands to investigate. The island appears to be totally uninhabited except for mine cart tracks that weave around the landscape. Tails momentarily frets that Eggman may have some kind of discreet operations transpiring on the island, but his thought is interrupted when he notices the vibration of an approaching cart on the tracks. Sensing danger, he leaps into a nearby cluster of bushes just in time to see a gnarled old hag whiz by in a sparkling silver cart. The old woman, announcing to nobody inparticular, proclaims herself to be the great Witchcart, and claims the island and everything on it as her own, threatening to transform any dissidents into crystal. With a wild cackle, she calls her henchmen to the "flying machine" and is followed in short order by Carrotia, Bearenger, and Fockewulf. Tails, determined to free the animals of the island, emerges from his hiding place and gives chase to Witchcart and her minions.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4: EPISODE I
It began as Sonic’s animal friends begin disappearing from South Island. Soon Sonic discovers that evil scientist Dr. Eggman has been kidnapping them and turning them into robots to collect the legendary treasure – The Chaos Emeralds. Sonic decides it’s up to him to save them and embarks on a quest to free his animal friends. Sonic battles Eggman through many different zones. Sonic eventually pursues Eggman to Final Zone where the first in many epic battles between them begins. In the end Sonic is victorious and Eggman’s Mecha fly’s away badly damaged. Sonic returns to Green Hill Zone and re-unites with his friends.

Their reunion is short lived however, as Eggman resurfaces and begins kidnapping Sonic friends again, in an effort to create more workers to finish his ultimate Weapon – The Death Egg! Teaming up with the newly met, Miles ‘Tails’ Prower, Sonic embarks on a new mission through West Side Island in an effort to free his friends and ensure Eggman does not obtain the 7 Chaos emeralds to fuel the Death Egg.

Once the West Side Island is freed, Sonic and Tails eventually board the Tornado and assault the Death Egg itself. After destroying Mecha Sonic, Eggman flees and enters his new Eggman Robot attacking Sonic! After a heated battle Sonic destroys the Eggman Robot and the Death Egg begins to explode.

Sonic and Tails fly down and come across mysterious island called Angel Island. This island is floating by the power of the precious stone called Master Emerald, but now this mysterious island are dropping down to the ocean surface because the Death Egg had been falling on this island. Sonic and Tails are attacked by a Red Echidna named Knuckles the guardian of the island.

Knuckles steals the Chaos emeralds from Sonic, being tricked by Eggman that he is an enemy come to take the Master Emerald.While Sonic and Tails are entangled by Knuckles, Eggman repairs the Death Egg and preps it for launch.

Sonic manages to jump on Death Egg just as it’s flying off. After confronting Eggman on the Death Egg, Sonic defeats Eggman once more and the Death Egg plummets back to Angel Island.

Back on the ground Dr. Eggman begins the repairing Death Egg again. Feeling Knuckles has served his purpose, he sends EggRobo to eliminate this potential threat. EggRobo finds Knuckles relaxing in Mushroom Zone and drops a bomb on him but Knuckles manages to survive. Enraged, the Wild Echidna sets off to defeat EggRobo. Meanwhile Sonic and Tails explore the island to find traces of the Death Egg and find out Eggman’s fate. After and Epic showdown between Sonic and Knuckles, Eggman uses the opportunity to finally steal the Master Emerald and re-launches the Death Egg. With the power of the emeralds, Sonic goes after Eggman, who has taken the Master Emerald into space.

Sonic and Tails secure the Master Emerald and return it to Knuckles on Angel Island. With it’s power restored, the Angel Island lifts off into the sky as Sonic and Tails fly off into the sunset.

But this humiliating defeat only serves to further Eggman’s rage, and he has determined once and for all to rid himself of Sonic. Eggman revisits – and improves – the very best of his creations to defeat our spiked hero.

And so a new Adventure begins…

Our legendary hero returns! With the Death Egg finally destroyed and the Angel Island back into the sky, Sonic decides its time to take a break and heads off to find a new territory of his own. However, unbeknownst to Sonic, Eggman has also survived their last encounter, and has begun to taking measures to get rid of our hero. Armed with his Signature Speed, super Spin Dash - and powerful Homing Attack, Sonic is ready for an all-new adventure!

After losing the Master Emerald during his last encounter with Sonic, Eggman regroups with a new objective: to revisit and refine the best of his creations in order to finally get rid of Sonic

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4: EPISODE II
The fierce battle from Episode I was only an overture...

What was Dr. Eggman searching for in the Lost Labyrinth?

What was Mad Gear built for?

They were all a mere puzzle piece of a grandiose project schemed by Dr. Eggman.

As Little Planet, where "Sonic CD" took place, approaches Sonic's world once again, Dr. Eggman's whole scheme will be revealed!

A few monthes have passed since the battle from Episode I. However Sonic's rest comes to an end as Little Planet reapproaches.

Sonic finds out that Dr. Eggman is back in action on the neighboring continent. He sets off on the Tornado to investigate the continent with his sidekick, Tails...

Sonic's little brother-like sidekick who made the rocket to head to E.G.G. Station and was secretly supporting Sonic in Episode I. In Episode II he's back in center stage as an active sidekick who Sonic can rely on. He can fly by rotating his two tails and will assist Sonic with the Combos in Episode II.

A worthy opponent who was thougght to be destroyed during the battle of Stardust Speedway in "Sonic CD". He was in fact severly damaged, and left alone on Little Planet. Now as the Little Planet re-approaches, and with the close support of Dr. Egman, Metal Sonic is ressurected and back in full force.

Dr. Eggman's E.G.G. Station was destroyed in Episode I. However as Little Planet re-approaches, the grand project set up by Dr. Eggman has now come into it's second stage, under a veil of secrecy.

KNUCKLES' CHAOTIX
In island afloat somewhere in the world

A few months have passed since that incident which brought the island within a close brush of the ocean surface. There is a surge of activity deep in the seabed of the Southern Oceans, causing an island to suddenly appear out of it. This was the resulting aftermath of tectonic activity stimulated by the Master Emerald Pillar on the Floating island. What's more, the new island began to alter its shape with incredible speed.

The Pillar's energy was changing the island from a mere hunk of rock to a lush tropical Eden. "There's gotta be something on that island..." Knuckles, the guardian of the Master Emerald Pillar is irked with questions about the sudden and ever-ongoing change that the island is experiencing. Could it be that the remnants of the legendary civilization that perished in the distant past, when the Powerstone ran amok?

"Something must be amplifying the power of the Pillar." This was the thought that occurred to Knuckles. Duty-bound to his role as Guardian, he heads for the island alone. But he was not alone. The very same thought had occurred to the notorious scientific genius, Dr. Eggman, who was already there investigating the island. There, Eggman found a small ring engraved with ancient text. Now he knew the island was indeed part of the lost civilization. He also finds another ring identical to the Super Ring on the Floating island. And it turned out to be a very special ring, one used in antiquity before the legendary civilization was lost.

"With this, I can access the Master Emerald once again" Eggman is elated by the discovery. However, the Powerstone (which the special ring could control) had already been removed to the Floating island by the gods descended from heaven.

But the strange dimensional space created by the special ring is filled up with the Pillar's energy, forming a ring-shaped crystal called the "Chaos Ring".

"If I uncover the secrets of the special ring, I'll have the secrets to the rings of Sonic and his pesky gang. And I'll have the power to summon the Master Emerald!" With this scheme in mind, Eggman quickly builds a fortress on the island. The resort he has dubbed "Neutrogic High-Zone" is aswirl with Eggman's evil plan. When Knuckles arrived, it was already too late. Eggman had succeeded in crystallizing the energy. He named the artificial ring the Dark Ring. And he was on his way to developing the Ring Power, which would produce time-dimensional connections between different rings.

"Once I have this, they'll be able to do nothing. No one will get in my way, and the world will at last be mine!" Eggman was now well on his way to realizing his ambitions.

Knuckles is the guardian of the island and of the Emerald Pillar that it conceals. When Dr. Robotnik invades the island, it's up to the echidna to set things right.

Vector's profile from Knuckles Chaotix (Japanese):
Hobbies: Music, dancing, basketball
Dislikes: Noise
It is a cheerful and remarkable optimist imprudently. However, in fact, rather than whom, group consciousness is strong and has what forcibleness and tenderness which fight also difficult. Existence of God was believed, and the news of the island of a miracle were heard and it came to this island.

Espio's profile from Knuckles Chaotix (Japanese):
Hobbies: Battle training, information gathering
Dislikes: Eggman
If it is only a sense of justice, it is very strong single-minded character. It gets interested in legendary civilization, and in order to investigate a relation with a floating island, it will visit on an island. Therefore, infact, the knuckle is envied.

Mighty's profile from Knuckles Chaotix (Japanese):
Hobbies: Forest bathing
Dislikes: Violence
The traveler who feels definite aim in life for traveling in every place. Although a drastic change and uncanny capability will be demonstrated if it stands on a plight, he does not like a rough thing but it is carrying out gently. It will arrive at this island by chance, and will be involved in a noise.

Charmy's profile from Knuckles Chaotix (Japanese):
Hobbies: Napping
Dislikes: Being made a fool of
He who exceeded acoustic velocity for the first time with the insect is character about which it will not have kept silent if pride is high and has itself denied. And speech and conduct have become it precocious by the remarkable moody person. The alleged name which has flown to a new island in quest of a new flower "the fastest insect in the world."

SONIC CHAOS
The island of peace, South Island... The mythical "Chaos Emeralds" rest there. The mysterious jewels hold infinite power, but are also dangerous if used incorrectly. Now, the "Chaos Emeralds" are sought out by the evil scientist Dr Eggman again!

But today, when Sonic and Tails were out on an adventure, they overheard this plan.

Sonic: "What if Eggman gets one of those Chaos Emeralds?"

When the two quickly returned to South Island, they found the island of peace was in total chaos! As one of the jewels were taken, the remaining "Chaos Emeralds" were scattered about the island, which was now sinking into the sea!!

Eggman: "A swift victory this time! And now the world will be mine, Sonic!"

Sonic: "Eggman is sure to find the other Chaos Emeralds! Let's go!"

Tails: "Right!"

Sonic and Tails ran off to try and destroy Eggman's plan, and to save the sunken South Island. Will Sonic and his friends be the ones laughing in the end, or will it be Eggman...?

SONIC TRIPLE TROUBLE
“Oh! Dang it!”

Dr. Eggman really blew it that day. While doing a final weapons test there was an accident, and the Chaos Emeralds he’d took so many pains to collect without Sonic’s knowing it were sent flying in all directions.

Although he managed to track down one of the six emeralds, as for where the other five went he didn’t have a clue.

“It looks like Sonic’s picked up on this - I’d better get those emeralds back before that bugger gets his hands on them…”

Meanwhile, just as Eggman had predicted, Sonic and Tails had gotten wind of the situation and were already swinging into action. Just when the two were running around here and there collecting information on the emeralds, a stranger suddenly popped up in front of them, blocking their way.

“Sonic, you dirty rat! You’re not getting what you’re after or my name ain’t Knuckle!

“!?…???”

As things got more and more confused, Knuckle kept on being a general nuisance. To make matters worse, there was one eavesdropper grinning to himself knowingly while watching their exchange…

“Heh heh heh! Neither Sonic nor Eggman count for squat! While that bunch was going at it, guess who got the Chaos Emeralds – none other than Fang the Sniper, Treasure Hunter!”

By the looks of things it’ll be harder than usual to lick this one…What’ll you do, Sonic!?

“Well ain’t that obvious? With a bit of guts, you can do anything!”

SONIC THE FIGHTERS
Never one to be discouraged, the relentless Dr. Eggman has constructed an even larger, more elaborate Death Egg to replace his fallen space fortress. From his new base in the stars, Eggman launches an army of robots to invade the planet and stir up some trouble. Fortunately, Tails' transformable reconnaissance robot has located the Death Egg and transmitted images of the massive ship to Tails' workshop. Young Prower wastes no time in constructing the Lunar Fox, a space shuttle capable of reaching Eggman's celestial citadel. But there are two problems: firstly, the Lunar Fox requires the power of 8 Chaos Emeralds to launch. The Emeralds, conveniently enough, happen to be in the possession of 8 guardians: Sonic and Tails each have one, along with Knuckles, Amy Rose, Fang the Sniper, Espio the Chameleon, Bean the Dynamite, and Bark the Polarbear. The other problem is that the tiny Lunar Fox only has room for a single occupant. Logically, it should be the strongest of the 8 guardians to launch the one-man offensive against the Death Egg, and there's only one good way to determine who the strongest is...

SONIC R
After numerous duels with Dr. Eggman, Tails, full of respect for Sonic, joins Sonic and gang, and on their journey of adventure, Tails and Sonic looked up at a big screen on a building, and they saw a commercial that said:

"World Grand Prix Challengers Wanted!!"

"Sonic, Sonic, it says they're competing to be the fastest in the world"

Tails said with much enthusiasm.

"I think you should go for it! I have no doubts you will win for sure! Hmm… maybe I too can give it a shot and pitch my skills against the others!"

"Race? ….. I'm not into these…"

Sonic was in the least interested. But just before he turned to leave, the next scene caught his attention.

"Tails, I'll do it!"

He said hastily and went ahead.

"Wait for me, Sonic!"

Tails hurriedly gave him chase. What Sonic saw on the screen was

Participant list : Dr Eggman

Sonic was not the only who caught sight of this worldwide video broadcast. News of this race reached Sonic's good rival Knuckles and Amy, the girl who liked Sonic.

"Let me show you the true winner at the grand prix, Sonic!"

"Sonic will surely be in this race! Wait for me, Sonic!!!!"

Someone was observing all this via a satellite. His name was Dr Eggman, the super-scientist of evil who had been repeatedly challenging Sonic.

"Da…. haha……. you've fallen into my trap, Sonic! Now that I know that the Chaos Emerald is somewhere along the route of the race, all I need is to sit back and wait for Sonic and gang to help me chance upon it! And of course, I will have no trouble dealing with Sonic during the race, since I have this secret weapon with me…"

Said Dr Eggman as he turned around to rest his eyes on a row of humanoid shadows whose eyes sparkled with a certain sinisterness.

"da….haha…… my perfect plan will finally lead me into the dominion of the world I have dreamnt so long about! daaahahaha!!!!"

Can Sonic stop Dr Eggman's evil ambitions? How will the World Grand Prix turn out? There it goes, the World Grand Prix begins!

Following that:

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2 (Sonic Advance 1&2 floating somewhere around the Adventure games)

Sonic Heroes

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic Battle

Sonic Advance 3

Sonic '06/Rush and Rivals (R&R in any order, but takes '06's spot in the timeline)

Rush Adventure & Rivals 2

Sonic Riders

Sonic and the Secret Rings

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic and the Black Knight

Sonic Free Riders

Sonic Colors

Sonic Generations

Sonic Lost World 

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, if I remember correctly (so don't quote me on it 100%), it's the other way around- the Japanese manual said it was set before Sonic and tails even met, whereas in the West they wrote it off as 'downtime between adventures'.

But yeah, I generally don't try to place the Game Gear games or most of the spinoffs either, mostly because a lot of them are of veeeery questionable canon status (and in many cases outright conflict with it), especially the earlier ones.

I haven't constructed a timeline, but I've come up with a list of games I consider canon:

1. The entire main series, with two exceptions: NextGen's conclusion places it in an alternate timeline, and Generations has too many plotholes (like how Eggman got out of the White Space) for me to accept it as canon.
  2. Tails' Adventure, because it would suck if one of Tails' greatest moments never happened.
  3. Sonic Battle, since it doesn't contradict any of the other games and even explains where Chaos went after SA1.
  4. Triple Trouble and Sonic 3D, because I can't find anything that would make any of these games impossible.
  5. Sonic Chronicles, to an extent. I'll admit that I'm not entirely sure about this one, since its placement in the timeline keeps it in a perpetual state of "hasn't happened yet."

And even the games I don't count have stuff that may have still occurred. For example, even though Sonic the Fighters interferes with the canon by introducing an eighth Chaos Emerald, the premise of the game (eight of the characters engaging in combat to see which of them has the best chance against Eggman) is something I could see happening in-universe.

Actually, the game is set before Sonic 2 in Japan, and after S3&K Sonic 4 in North America.

EDIT: Well, it looks like Mark beat me to the punch...as did Sparky.

I can contribute the placement of Sonic CD with absolute certainty:

In my honest opinion, I feel that Sonic CD takes place before Sonic 2. My reasoning is because in the time it takes for the Little Planet to return to Sonic's world, the entire Death Egg Saga would have happened. However, it's just as fair to assume that the time between Sonic CD and Sonic 4: Episode 2 in the opposing theory is just as long as it would take the Death Egg Saga to run it's course. Chalk this one up to personal preference.

Sonic CD happens between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. 

As for all this other stuff... I'd be careful which games you consider canon. For example, most, if not all, of the Game Gear games are largely inconsequential or downright useless, if not non-canon altogether.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was just coming here to pretty much post what Indigo just did, that Sonic 4 locks Sonic CD between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2.

I think Iizuka confirmed that no classic games are canon except 1, 2, CD, 3 & Knuckles. Also, since Sonic 06 was meant to be a reboot (I really need to find the interview that confirmed that), it isn't canon, either- and I don't just mean because of the whole Elise-blowing-out-the-flame-and-resetting-time thing, either. It was always in a separate timeline from the main canon. As for Generations, I suppose Time Eater somehow reached other timelines and merged them into White Space.

A couple of other confirmed tidbits from SoS '13 (or was it Boom '13?)

-The classic versions of the Chaotix aren't canon; Heroes was meant to be a new beginning for them, hence why none of the characters knew them.

-Mighty, Nack, and other classic-spinoff-only characters don't exist in the current series.

- Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles canonically happened as separate games. In other words, the Super Emeralds aren't canon, and I think it was implied that Knuckles's solo story has been retconned, save for his battle with Super Mecha.

There's also the fact CD entered development before 2.

They were in development at the same time...

They were in development at the same time...

Yeah, but the first to start development was CD.

I think Iizuka confirmed that no classic games are canon except 1, 2, CD, 3 & Knuckles. Also, since Sonic 06 was meant to be a reboot (I really need to find the interview that confirmed that), it isn't canon, either- and I don't just mean because of the whole Elise-blowing-out-the-flame-and-resetting-time thing, either. It was always in a separate timeline from the main canon. As for Generations, I suppose Time Eater somehow reached other timelines and merged them into White Space.

A couple of other confirmed tidbits from SoS '13 (or was it Boom '13?)

-The classic versions of the Chaotix aren't canon; Heroes was meant to be a new beginning for them, hence why none of the characters knew them.

-Mighty, Nack, and other classic-spinoff-only characters don't exist in the current series.

- Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles canonically happened as separate games. In other words, the Super Emeralds aren't canon, and I think it was implied that Knuckles's solo story has been retconned, save for his battle with Super Mecha.

Well in that case it's a good thing I don't really care what Iizuka has to say about the franchise. I'll stick to my own interpretation of canon, thank you very much.

Well in that case it's a good thing I don't really care what Iizuka has to say about the franchise. I'll stick to my own interpretation of canon, thank you very much.

Fair enough.

Honestly, I see no reason why 3D Blast or the Tails spinoffs couldn't be canon.

The Classic Era

• Sonic the Hedgehog - Eggman learns about the Chaos Emeralds, tries to use them for bad shit, Sonic stops him.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Eggman makes the Death Egg, Sonic and Tails send it crashing.
  • Sonic 3 and Knuckles - Eggman repairs and relaunches the D.E., but t gets blown up.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Eggman regains Metal Sonic from Little Planet and tries to use the planet for a new Death Egg, but ends up with a Pyrrhic Victory (yeah, he loses, but Little Planet's still got that Egg shell *ha ha* around it...).
  • Note: Sonic CD's placement is a bit sketchy, largely due to Mecha Sonic. Is he a prototype of Metal Sonic? Or is he merely a less-advanced temporary replacement until Little Planet returns?
  • Generations is also tricky to pin down. Maybe sometime after 3&K?

I'd say Generations is before Sonic 3K, and also a little bit before Sonic 2. I'm basing this all on Sonic's looks. If you look at Sonic's 3K sprite, he's a bit thinner, taller and a little bit more of a darker blue than he was in the first two games. He's also spikier. In Generations, he's got a very light blue, so it would have to be before the first game. Sonic knows Tails, so it would have to be during Sonic 2, a little after, or a little before. I think he looks most similar to the Sonic 1 sprite, so I'm guessing it's before Sonic 2.

It's also possible that it takes place in between CD and 2. This is, of course, assuming CD is before 2 in the timeline. I think it works well that he made it to Modern Sonic's time around the same time he was going through all his time travel shenanigans from CD.

Oh man this again.  Well, here's how I understand it:

The Classic Era

Sonic 1 - The series begins! smile.png, Introducing Sonic the Hedgehog and Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

Sonic CD - Time Travel!, enter Amy Rose and Metal Sonic

Sonic 2 - The Death Egg is built, enter Miles "Tails" Prower, first game with Super Sonic

Sonic 3 and Knuckles - enter Knuckles the Echidna, Super Emeralds!, Master Emerald, Death Egg destroyed (for good this time!)

Sonic 4 - Death Egg Robot returns, Little Planet returns, Metal Sonic returns, day saved but LP still trapped in Death Egg Mk. II

Note: GG/MS games non-canon, spin-offs either non-canon or debatable.

Sixth Generation Era

Sonic Adventure - first (real) 3D platformer, characters age a little, enter Big the Cat and E-102 Gamma (RIP), enter Chaos and Tikal (who both depart for parts unknown), Perfect Chaos Defeated!

Sonic Adventure 2 - enter Shadow the Hedgehog and Rouge the Bat, also enter deceased characters Maria Robotnik and Prof. Gerald Robotnik, Shadow lost after the defeat of the FinalHazard (Biolizard attached to Space Colony ARK)

Sonic Advance - first Sonic game developed exclusively for a Nintendo console.

Sonic Advance 2 - enter Cream the Rabbit, her chao Cheese, and her mother Vanilla the Rabbit

Sonic Heroes - enter the Chaotix (canon introduction), Metal Sonic returns as Neo Metal, Shadow Returns (amnesiac from falling to Earth), enter Cheese's sibling Chocola (hasn't been seen since biggrin.png. Gee I wonder why. )

Shadow the Hedgehog - enter Black Doom (dies), enter GUN Commander, Shadow's survival and creation explained

Sonic Battle - enter Emerl the Gizoid(RIP), Chaos returns (Tikal mysteriously absent, hmmm...)

Sonic Advance 3 - enter Gemerl (Emerl's successor), G-mel turned good by Tails after being defeated by Super Sonic and Dr, Eggman

Note: Again spin-offs either non-canon or debatable

Modern Era

Sonic Rush - enter Blaze the Cat and Dr, Eggman Nega

Sonic 06 - Introducing Silver the Hedgehog, events erased from canon

Sonic Rivals - Re-introducing Silver the Hedgehog, Dr. Eggman Nega's true backstory revealed

Sonic and the Secret Rings - Sonic goes into story of Aladdin.

Sonic Rush Adventure - Blaze returns, enter Marine the Raccoon (hasn't been seen since)

Sonic Rivals 2 - Espio returns!, Metal Sonic a protagonist this time, Eggman Nega trapped in Alt. Dimension

Sonic Unleashed - Introducing Chip/Light Gaia and Dark Gaia, enter SA-55 aka Orbot

Sonic and the Black Knight - Sonic goes into story of King Arthur

Sonic Colors - Introducing Yacker and the Wisps, enter Cubot, Eggman final boss again

Sonic Generations - Sonic teams up with younger self to defeat older and less old Eggmans

Note: Again spin-offs either non-canon or debatable

Eighth Generation Era

Sonic Lost World - enter Deadly SIx, return of Orbot and Cubot

Sonic Boom - new continuity 

I'm, like, 99% certain that one of the community managers a while back confirmed that Chronicles isn't canon to main series in any way. Does anyone else remember that quote?

On another note, I think that Rivals 1 & 2 both take place after Rush Adventure. The end of SRA shows Nega go completely insane for the first time in the Rush series and he tries to blow up the planet rather than let Sonic win. I think that leads nicely into Nega trying to destroy the world in the Rivals series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm, like, 99% certain that one of the community managers a while back confirmed that Chronicles isn't canon to main series in any way. Does anyone else remember that quote?

On another note, I think that Rivals 1 & 2 both take place after Rush Adventure. The end of SRA shows Nega go completely insane for the first time in the Rush series and he tries to blow up the planet rather than let Sonic win. I think that leads nicely into Nega trying to destroy the world in the Rivals series.

I don't have that quote and the only thing I could find on it was Tvtropes saying Word of God threw Chronicles out of canon.

I think this is the case too.  It does makes a lot of sense.

Oh, I just remembered. Nows the perfect time to bring up the fact that according to Sonic 4, because of some laziness no doubt, Sonic CD's good ending is non-canon and Sonic left Little Planet in Eggman's bad future state.

S4_Metal.jpg

Sonic failed in CD! He didn't destroy all the robot teleporters, nor did he collect all the time stones.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, I just remembered. Nows the perfect time to bring up the fact that according to Sonic 4, because of some laziness no doubt, Sonic CD's good ending is non-canon and Sonic left Little Planet in Eggman's bad future state.

S4_Metal.jpg

Sonic failed in CD! He didn't destroy all the robot teleporters, nor did he collect all the time stones.

Either Sonic didn't get the last time stone until Metallic Madness....or, actually you're right it was lazy design. They just re-used the design from Generations for convenience.

Sonic 4 isn't canon. It doesn't fit in anywhere and trying to make Ep2 a sequel to Sonic CD was quite frankly an insult...............to Sonic CD. 

You could say that Sonic 4 is a separate canon to the Genesis games much like Sonic Boom is to SEGASonic. On that logic one could also argue that Sonic Ep1 is a separate canon to Sonic 4 Ep2, because those games aren't linked in any shape or form, only by name. 

Either Sonic didn't get the last time stone until Metallic Madness....or, actually you're right it was lazy design. They just re-used the design from Generations for convenience.

Sonic 4 isn't canon. It doesn't fit in anywhere and trying to make Ep2 a sequel to Sonic CD was quite frankly an insult...............to Sonic CD. 

You could say that Sonic 4 is a separate canon to the Genesis games much like Sonic Boom is to SEGASonic. On that logic one could also argue that Sonic Ep1 is a separate canon to Sonic 4 Ep2, because those games aren't linked in any shape or form, only by name. 

How does it not fit between Sonic 3&K and Sonic Adventure? I've not completed the game but I've never seen anything in it to directly contradict anything in the continuity. With the possible exception of Sonic CD ending on the bad ending, but even then...that doesn't bother me too much. For one thing, most people playing through CD are going to get the bad ending. Finding all the generators and time stones can be quite a burden and most folk probably wouldn't bother. Also, I kind of like that, so early on into his Egg bashing career, Sonic...sorta fails. If indeed CD is Sonic's  2nd adventure, it would make sense if he's not quite able to complete his goal. You could even read into it that it would strengthen his resolve and make him determined to never fail again.

There's two reasons I wouldn't consider Sonic 4 cannon. One is that they left it incomplete after Episode 2 with the Death Egg mk2 still intact.

second reason is that they suck as sequels to the classics, but you knew that already :V