Awoo.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire [3DS Hoenn Remake, November 2014]

Carbo

This was a very, low key announcement, their likely will be a much bigger announcement during E3.

Well I never! Honestly can't say I'm surprised that a Hoenn remake is on the way, but for it to be announced so... abruptly? Yeah, wasn't expecting that, especially with E3 just over a month away now, where the grand reveal presumably will be. Perhaps it is a form of damage control following Nintendo's financial reports today, but damn, who cares? This looks pretty sweet.

It does look like they might be changing things up a bit more than in previous remakes though, especially if Groudon and Kyogre do get new designs or Mega Evolutions. And the whole touting it as a "brand new adventure" thing? Yeah, either that's just generic buzz words, or this really is more than just a simple retread after all...

Oh, and if you look at the small print at the end of the teaser trailer, it confirms that - like X and Y before it - the 3D will only be in certain parts of the game, the rest will be in 2D. So it'll be 3D for the battles, 2D for the field. Which is fine because I hardly use the 3D anyway, but still a bit of a cop-out that they could have fixed by now.

The downside to all this though? Next in line on the remake conveyor belt is... ugh... Sinnoh. Can we just skip Diamond & Pearl, please?

tumblr_n57l1zAuam1r8sc3ro1_500.jpgtumblr_n57l1zAuam1r8sc3ro2_500.jpg

oh

Ehh, I can see Omega on Groudon, but I don't think the lights on Kyogre looks like Alpha. I wouldn't be surprised if the symbols were their intentions, though.

Xerneas being an X wasn't really noticeable either.

Uh hey guys

The UK Trailer says PEGI 7.

Making it the first mainseries Pokémon game to ever have an age rating above 3+ in Europe.

Hm????????????????????????????????

Flannery & Winona will have a hot love scene. The female Twins will now be fully grown, scantily clad women and the Senior and Junior School Girls will star in a t.A.T.u. music video, Wally is a Pokemon Lover and Steven is hard as rock.

X&Y were also PEGI 7. Probably because of the move to 3D.

• Thumbs Up 1

The downside to all this though? Next in line on the remake conveyor belt is... ugh... Sinnoh. Can we just skip Diamond & Pearl, please?

Sounds like someone skipped Platinum :P

@Marcello

Ah you're right it was PEGI7.. I must have missed that.

Also speaking of similarities to X and Y, it seems like OR and AS will be continuing to drop the "Version" part of the subheading

Ehh, I can see Omega on Groudon, but I don't think the lights on Kyogre looks like Alpha. I wouldn't be surprised if the symbols were their intentions, though.

Xerneas being an X wasn't really noticeable either.

Flannery & Winona will have a hot love scene. The female Twins will now be fully grown, scantily clad women and the Senior and Junior School Girls will star in a t.A.T.u. music video, Wally is a Pokemon Lover and Steven is hard as rock.

X&Y were also PEGI 7. Probably because of the move to 3D.

Tate's a dude.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sounds like someone skipped Platinum tongue.png

Oh I played Platinum and it was way better than Diamond or Peal, but... ehh, Gen IV never really did anything for me. Easily my least favourite generation.

Oh I played Platinum and it was way better than Diamond or Peal, but... ehh, Gen IV never really did anything for me. Easily my least favourite generation.

To the contrary it was my fav generation by far (as a game) until Gen6 came along. I don't think it necessarily needs a remake but I wouldn't be sad about it.

(honestly the game that needs a remake now is Gen1 because FR/LG just weren't good enough to do Gen1 justice imo)

The Omega and Alpha symbols also match the Team Magma and Team Aqua emblems, respectively. Though it's more obvious and without needing to squint a bit with Alpha/Aqua.

• Thumbs Up 1

oh my god oh my god oh my god OH MY GOD I AM SO STUPIDLY EXCITED AND THERE ISN'T ANY FOOTAGE YET

Well I never! Honestly can't say I'm surprised that a Hoenn remake is on the way, but for it to be announced so... abruptly? Yeah, wasn't expecting that, especially with E3 just over a month away now, where the grand reveal presumably will be. Perhaps it is a form of damage control following Nintendo's financial reports today, but damn, who cares? This looks pretty sweet.

But we didn't see anything to be able to say whether it looks good or not, just a tentative boxart. If they want to do damage control, then fine, but surely they can present an announcement for one of their biggest franchises better than that. 

On the contrary, I think Gen IV is the best by a long shot. DP were incredibly slow, but Pt righted all their wrongs. I'll join in the campaign for their remakes already :P

• Thumbs Up 1

What's cool about this is that I can finally take off the dumb hair/hat from Ruby

Tate's a dude.

Not talking about the gym leaders. Talking about the normal trainers called "Twins" tongue.png

By the way, the last two parts in the post are actually true.

You're crazy. Literally insane. Or not. Sinnoh was better than Hoenn. And with the remakes they can fix any HM problems and make the game faster.

But we didn't see anything to be able to say whether it looks good or not, just a tentative boxart. If they want to do damage control, then fine, but surely they can present an announcement for one of their biggest franchises better than that. 

Well the box art looks good :P and assuming this is going to play just like X and Y, then it's got a solid foundation to work on, so it's safe to predict it'll at least be a half-decent title.

Yeah, they could (and should) have handled this announcement better, but you can't deny everyone's going to go mad over the tiniest of breadcrumbs - and all eyes will be on Nintendo at E3 now, if only to see a snippet of these games. Why put all their cards on the table now and take away a potentially huge chunk from their digital presentation? This way they guarantee people's attention.

• Thumbs Up 2

On the contrary, I think Gen IV is the best by a long shot. DP were incredibly slow, but Pt righted all their wrongs. I'll join in the campaign for their remakes already tongue.png

Anything to stall the Gen 5 remakes I suppose

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah. I've already got most of my feelings out on Facebook and ONM, so I'm retreading ground here, but still.

Ruby and Sapphire Remakes Confirmed!

Or are they?

That trailer just screams making a lot more of these remakes than previous ones. Yes, there will be a whole load of returning features from XY, but is it just Hoenn returning? Orre and Shadow Pokemon, or maybe Kalos. Kanto and Johto perhaps. There seems to be more than meets the eye.

And to all those saying worst reveal ever, perhaps that is why. By even showing a second of this game off, they are essentially going to spoil what could well be a spoiler. Come E3, or maybe before with another Pokemon Direct, the big guns will come out and the whole reveal type will then make sense. After all, hyping up XY by doing a timeline of all previous games worked, didn't it?

I just hope they don't do a HGSS and not bother fixing what was wrong with the games in the first place. HGSS are awesome but did nothing to alleviate the lack of focus on Johto Pokemon or the shit levelling curve, or even do that much to ease grinding. You couldn't even rematch trainers reliably like in Platinum.

This is one reason I like Gens 5 and 6 so much apart from just the awesome Pokemon and designs etc. - they made the grinding much less tedious and quickened the pace. I hope this applies to these remakes, as Emerald had two points I found myself doing a shit ton of grinding in - for the Elite Four of course, but also between Flannery and Norman.

Also Steven better be the Champion. I've only beaten Emerald and I can tell Steven is a better fitting Champion. I want to see Mega Metagross damn it! Hold onto your butts because Mega Metagross is going to Meteor Mash you into the sky!

You're crazy. Literally insane. Or not. Sinnoh was better than Hoenn. And with the remakes they can fix any HM problems and make the game faster.

Clearly I need to go back and play Platinum then :P

I do remember enjoying Platinum, I guess Diamond & Pearl just muddied my opinion of Gen IV as a whole. If a Sinnoh remake was more like the former rather than the latter, then yeah, I guess I'd be on board with it.

Anyway, Hoenn! I wonder if we'll see Brendan and May making a triumphant return?

Like yeah they announced Gen3 remakes, people already know what to expect, we don't need gameplay footage to know that a Gen3 remake on the Gen6 engine means a Gen3 remake on the Gen6 engine.

The teasing aspect of the trailer, the teasing phrases like "new world" and "new adventure" and the slightly different looking Kyogre and Groudon are hyping themselves up through all the discussion they're inspiring. You don't need a big announcement trailer with gameplay footage to get people hyped, people know what to expect, it's saving the surprises for later that's going to be important.

And that's the best part, all eyes are on them now because people know this game is really happening, once that word of mouth has set in, any further announcements are already going to be hype as heck because they'll show us what we know is coming and maybe new features.

I don't see the issue at all with this kind of reveal, it's arguably generating even more hype than an "announcement announcement" would. Don't forget that there are regularly people who write off new Pokémon completely. If you're teasing a new announcement without specifically saying it's a remake, then you're potentially alienating those who just want a game to appeal to their nostalgia. And if you say you're announcing a remake you.. may aswell go all the way.

Honestly don't think there's a problem at all with how they announced it. Again, now all eyes are on them for more info on this, the internet doesn't need gameplay footage to get hyped, the fact that people are going batshit over this when there isn't even any gameplay or a big reveal trailer yet speaks for itself, they're aiming for even bigger reactions in the future now that they have everyone's attention.

• Thumbs Up 9

Well the box art looks good tongue.png and assuming this is going to play just like X and Y, then it's got a solid foundation to work on, so it's safe to predict it'll at least be a half-decent title.

Yeah, they could (and should) have handled this announcement better, but you can't deny everyone's going to go mad over the tiniest of breadcrumbs - and all eyes will be on Nintendo at E3 now, if only to see a snippet of these games. Why put all their cards on the table now and take away a potentially huge chunk from their digital presentation? This way they guarantee people's attention.

Yeah, I expect them to reveal all of the big news and gameplay at E3, but I just think they could have released a better teaser trailer than that. Even if they didn't want to show gameplay at all yet, they could have used some CGI or artwork from the game to hype people up.

HOLD IT! One of those twins was a boy.

Yeah, I expect them to reveal all of the big news and gameplay at E3, but I just think they could have released a better teaser trailer than that. Even if they didn't want to show gameplay at all yet, they could have used some CGI or artwork from the game to hype people up.

They should have just had Iwata standing there shouting "ALRIGHT GUYS, WE GET IT! YOU WANT HOENN REMAKES, HERE'S YOUR STINKIN' HOENN REMAKES! NOW WILL YOU ALL JUST SHUT UP AND GIVE US YOUR MONEY cos we really really need it right now?!" and then storm off.

The screen subsequently fades to the box arts, along with the tagline: "Happy now?"

• Thumbs Up 3

One request though: please find a way to incorporate both evil teams in both versions. For example, fighting Team Magma in Alpha Sapphire's post-game and vice-versa.

They did something even better in Emerald, and i suppose they will incorporate in here with the same approach they incorporated Crystal elements in the remakes of Gold and Silver.

On the subject of the music, i can't wait to hear a remix of the Sootopolis City theme (if it's done in piano only it will be even better).

.....Well this certainly came out of the left field! o__o Yay Hoenn remake confirmed!! Sort of. Does this also mean we get more Mega Evolutions? And best of all, BETTER MUSIC? Guess we'll know when E3 comes along.

But seriously people, how do you know this is damage control? Stop assuming, I think it's great to see a random surprise announcement from Nintendo.